Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greece only SEE country listed as "Full Democracy"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Online Status: Offline
  Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greece only SEE country listed as "Full Democracy"
    Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 07:33
Originally posted by Anton

I do not criticize Greece. I posted  graffities just because a dude started to compare countries. Which is sad to my opinion. I tried to show him that it is a bit early to be puffed up. Obviously and expectedly he called me nationalist.

From the  nationalistic  wall graffities and the sites that usually  present us  as arguments  I prefer to post real sources like the EIU. Actually the only people that was opposite in this survey are the nationaliists.Wink

So in page 2 the survey quoted:

The Economist Intelligence Units index is based on the view that measures of democracy that reflect the state of political freedoms and civil liberties are not thick enough. They do not encompass sufficiently or at all some features that determine how substantive democracy is or its quality. Freedom is an essential component of democracy, but not sufficient. In existing measures, the elements of political participation and functioning of government are taken into account only in a marginal way.

The Economist Intelligence Units democracy index is based on five categories:

• electoral process and pluralism;
  • civil liberties;
  • the functioning of government;
  • political participation and
  • political culture.

Soon I will post and the Methodology that use (page 8). A example

IV Democratic political culture

38. Perceptions of military rule; proportion of the population that would prefer military.
1: Low
0.5: Moderate
0: High

V Civil liberties
44. Is there a free electronic media?
1: Yes
0.5: Pluralistic, but state-controlled media are heavily favoured. One or two private owners dominate the media
0: No

46. Is there freedom of expression and protest (bar only generally accepted restrictions such as banning advocacy of violence)?
1: Yes
0.5: Minority viewpoints are subject to some offi cial harassment. Libel laws restrict heavily scope for free expression
0: No

Is obvious any democratic human realize from any view waht happened in his country by given answer first in hiself and after to the others.Of course the nationalists they dont understand the meaning of the given questions or that this article came from a web site that written in  whole Balkan languages.

the dude(aka akritas)LOLLOLLOL

Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 07:58
Originally posted by bg_turk

Of course, the improvements in the human rights record in Greece are welcome and very good news, and I hope Greece will continue working towards improving the rights of the Turkish minority.

Nobody is interesting to protect the human rights of Muslim pomaks and Roma (citizens of Hellas) from the regime of Ancara.
The association of Muslim Roma send a letter to the ambassador of US embassy in Greece Mr  Charles P. Ries.According to this letter the Muslim Roma denounce that the majority Muslim Turkish press them to declare that they are turks.They also denounce that the Greek state don't protect them .
As i can conclude there is an effort from the "democratic" Turkish state to assimilate the pomaks and roma.

I need the help of the other Greek forumers to translate this letter
because i m not so good in translation.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 08:04
dont worry antioxos, Smile  bg_turk use the   http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr   in order to translate the Greek textsWink
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 08:53
Originally posted by akritas

From the  nationalistic  wall graffities and the sites that usually  present us  as arguments  I prefer to post real sources like the EIU. Actually the only people that was opposite in this survey are the nationaliists.Wink

So in page 2 the survey quoted:

the dude(aka akritas)LOLLOLLOL

Yes, I know akritas, that you prefer to cite nationalistic site "macedonia on the web" Wink 

As for the rest part, everything you said is true. And you don't have any reason to believe me and that movie. Especially if you don't want to.
Because democracy is a state of mind not matter of ratings that you posted. In a trully democratic country a single signal like that would lead to long investigation and permanent discussion on a TV. Like in Sweden for example. And nobody there (I mean in Sweden) declares his proudness to be trully democratic country. And moreover do not compare it to Norway and Denmark  Smile I wish to your and my country to reach this level soon or later.

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 09:03

Yes, I know akritas, that you prefer to cite nationalistic site "macedonia on the web" Wink 
The   http://www.macedoniaontheweb.com/  is a  web site that make from Greeks and never present it as source, except if this include any article that I wrote.
[/QUOTE]

As for the rest part, everything you said is true. And you don't have any reason to believe me and that movie. Especially if you don't want to.
Because democracy is a state of mind not matter of ratings that you posted. In a trully democratic country a single signal like that would lead to long investigation and permanent discussion on a TV. Like in Sweden for example. And nobody there (I mean in Sweden) declares his proudness to be trully democratic country. And moreover do not compare it to Norway and Denmark  Smile I wish to your and my country to reach this level soon or later.
Sweden according survey took the 1st  place, Norway 4th ,Denmark 5th and Finland 6th for your information.After 10 posts you came in my words that I written in the 1st one.

I hope will be in more high place in the next survey figures.

and your responce

They are present in those villages where old bulgarian people are affraid to speak bulgarian language outdoors

But you answer was graffitties, minorities e.t.c. from a region that you dont know very well.Confused

FYROMians  in the region have
-political partie
-web site
-US Consule protection

but no VOTES

if there  are Bulgarians , where are they?

PS 
 give me time to answer because the forum is to slow after the upgrade.

Edited by akritas - 26-Nov-2006 at 09:09
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 09:19

Antioxos, my source about people that affraid to speak Bulgarian is a movie about them. If you wish I may find a link to it but it is in Bulgarian. Another "source" is my grandma who were there several years ago.
Well i agree with your grandma this happen about 70 years ago.
Today almost everybody (at least in Athens) has a connection with bulgarian people  for example my best friend wife is from Bulgaria .
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 09:19
what a pack of lies.

What a lies to say that the Greek state did not protect them. If you did not suffer from amnesia when it comes to your human rights violations against Pomaks, you would remember that up until a few years ago you overprotected Pomaks with barbed wire around their villages, locked  them up in military areas and required special perrmits from them to exit. Did you lock them up because you were afraid the Turks would assimilate them?

And give me a break. Why would a Pomak write to the US ambassador? Who is the US ambassador to help them in the first place? If a Pomak wished to complain against the Turks he would have found a far more sympathetic ear in your shauvinistic president, not the us ambassador.

Even nationalist peasants in the countryside don't buy such cheap news of contrafeited letters any more, I am surprised they still make headlines in Greece.

Edited by bg_turk - 26-Nov-2006 at 09:27
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 09:38
Originally posted by akritas

But you answer was graffitties, minorities e.t.c. from a region that you dont know very well.Confused

FYROMians  in the region have
-political partie
-web site
-US Consule protection

but no VOTES

if there  are Bulgarians , where are they?

PS 
 give me time to answer because the forum is to slow after the upgrade.

It seems it is pointless to discuss anything with you, Akritas. Confused
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 09:44
Originally posted by Antioxos

Today almost everybody (at least in Athens) has a connection with bulgarian people  for example my best friend wife is from Bulgaria .

At least in Athens, yes. I believe you that situation is getting better. When this problem is solved Greece will be the first in this list posted by Akritas Wink
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 10:07

It seems it is pointless to discuss anything with you, Akritas. Confused

No problem they speak other for us and the supposing minoritiesSmile

Edited by akritas - 26-Nov-2006 at 10:10
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 10:08
bg turk
of course you never read my posts because i m never defending  the unjustice decision of the Greek state.
Your turkishness  dont let you to see the truth that in Turkey governs a revised,diehard and imperialistic regime.
Your turkishness don t allow you to see what really happen in WT today
The Turkish consulate control everything and the Greek state don't react in the name of the good relation with Turkey.
1st Roma wrote to the US ambassador not pomak
2nd US embassy was trying to create minority problems and with this way to press the Greek government when the time is coming and EU is going decide about the obligation of Turkey against EU.
3nd Muslim Roma send this letter to the us embassy telling them that they have to protect them also not only the Muslim Turkish minority and protect them from the Turkish consulate.
If all these are lies then you have problem to see the truth i cannot do nothing only to suggest you to open your horizons because human rights is for everybody the same.
i m the first that i criticize the Greek state for the unjustice decision and the violation of human rights i don't feel obligate to defending the Greek state .

Edited by Antioxos - 26-Nov-2006 at 10:12
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 10:15

2nd US embassy was trying to create minority problems and with this way to press the Greek government when the time is coming and EU is going decide about the obligation of Turkey against EU.
ClapClapClapClap
well done Antioxos, you said it all as about the supposing minorities issue in Greece and the efforts of the USA,

As the essay quoted in the beggining.....

There is no consensus on how to measure democracy,defi nitions of democracy are contested and there is an ongoing lively debate on the subject. The issue is not only of academic interest.

For example, although democracy- promotion is high on the list of American foreign-policy priorities, there is no consensus within the American government on what constitutes a democracy.

As one observer recently put it, the worlds only superpower is rhetorically and militarily promoting a political system that remains undefi nedand it is staking its credibility and treasure on that pursuit (Horowitz, 2006, p 114).

Is known the US policy in the region dear neighboorsSmile

Edited by akritas - 26-Nov-2006 at 10:16
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 10:16

At least in Athens, yes. I believe you that situation is getting better. When this problem is solved Greece will be the first in this list posted by Akritas Wink
My fellow Anton dont try to change the meaning of my words."At least in Athens almost everybody has contact with the Bulgarian people.i think i made it clear."
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 10:22
Antioxos, tell me one thing. Do you deny the existance of the problem with Turkish and Bulgarian minorities in Greece? If you do not deny it, what is the reason as an excuse to point that you neghbours are not better or may be even worse? Do you give a damn how good or bad are they? Are you proud of the comparison of you nation achievements with that of Turkey, Bulgaria, Republic of Macedonia and Albania or you are proud of just achievements of your nation itself?

I ask because I never understood the reason to point to others and say like kids that  "they do the same so why don't punish them as well"?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 10:33

My fellow Anton dont try to change the meaning of my words."At least in Athens almost everybody has contact with the Bulgarian people.i think i made it clear."

Antioxos, I understood you correctly I just didn't agree with you. Graffities are not made 70 years ago and people are still affraid to speak Bulgarian in some places. This is the problem that cannot exist in trully democratic state and needs thinking of everybody. Some children may stupidely repeat what they heard on TV about the number of votes in Aegean  Macedonia but if one sometimes switch on his gray cells he would easely reallise that the best way to solve the problem is not to hide it but do the opposite -- discuss it everywhere. Until it is solved. And please don't try to pursuade me in things that you don't believe yourself (I mean that problems with minorities in Greece do not exist).

Edited by Anton - 26-Nov-2006 at 10:35
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 10:42

1st Anton could you give some more information about the "Bulgarian minority " in Greece from independed  sources please.
Till now i knew unofficial about "Fyromians" ,minority official about Muslim minority.First time i read about Bulgarian minority maybe you are refer the period 1940-1945.
2nd I m not compare Greek state with nobody i try to criticize the Greek state to become better and serve better their citizen.i only criticized the Turkish state because
a.the Turkish state wants to create conditions for new Cyprus in WT and
B.threaten military the Greek state.
Finally i feel very closed to the Bulgarian people because i have every day contact with bulgarian people and i enjoy this contact.

"I ask because I never understood the reason to point to others and say like kids that  "they do the same so why don't punish them as well"?"

Can you point me please where did i wrote these. 
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 10:58

Antioxos, I understood you correctly I just didn't agree with you. Graffities are not made 70 years ago and people are still affraid to speak Bulgarian in some places. This is the problem that cannot exist in trully democratic state and needs thinking of everybody. Some children may stupidely repeat what they heard on TV about the number of votes in Aegean  Macedonia but if one sometimes switch on his gray cells he would easely reallise that the best way to solve the problem is not to hide it but do the opposite -- discuss it everywhere. Until it is solved. And please don't try to pursuade me in things that you don't believe yourself (I mean that problems with minorities in Greece do not exist).
[/QUOTE

Could you tell us what do you mean?
 "the number of votes in Aegean Macedonia"
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 10:59

1st Anton could you give some more information about the "Bulgarian minority " in Greece from independed  sources please.

What kind of independent sources do you want? There is no independent sources about that question. The existance of graffities like those I posted should drive you to ask questions shouldn't it? If you are interested in the problem you will find them, but if you want to prove the absence of the problem then any "independent" source might be declared as nationalistic. Moreover I didn't try to find those sources since my granny's words are enough for me. Smile Bg_turk, may be youhave some independent sources?

Till now i knew unofficial about "Fyromians" ,

isn't it the same as Bulgarians? Most of people that youcall slavophones are Bulgarians.

minority official about Muslim minority.First time i read about Bulgarian minority maybe you are refer the period 1940-1945.

2nd I m not compare Greek state with nobody i try to criticize the Greek state to become better and serve better their citizen.i only criticized the Turkish state because
a.the Turkish state wants to create conditions for new Cyprus in WT and
B.threaten military the Greek state.

Yes, but this threadis about how good is democracy in Greece isn't it? Why should one discuss it here?

Finally i feel very closed to the Bulgarian people because i have every day contact with bulgarian people and i enjoy this contact.

I am also close to greeks very much. I have plenty of greek friends around.

"I ask because I never understood the reason to point to others and say like kids that  "they do the same so why don't punish them as well"?"

Can you point me please where did i wrote these. 

You didn't. It was continuation of my thought. Sorry if I offended you.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 11:13

I am talking about the argument that I met several times in this forum that bulgarians and macedonians in Greece are not many in number since their party didn't get many votes. Look for example Akrita's post in this thread.

Edited by Anton - 26-Nov-2006 at 11:18
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 11:16

Your turkishness  dont let you to see the truth that in Turkey governs a revised,diehard and imperialistic regime.

LOL All I see is that in Turkey governs a "softly" Islamic  democratic government that is kissing EU ass at every opportunity.

Your turkishness don t allow you to see what really happen in WT today
The Turkish consulate control everything and the Greek state don't react in the name of the good relation with Turkey.

It is not your fault really that you believe all this cheap propaganda that the Greek TV is spewing all around. The Turkish consulate controls everything in WT, ha?

1st Roma wrote to the US ambassador not pomak

Who gives a Gypsy the right to speak in the name of all Pomaks then?

Things do often have simpler explanations. Stop seeing conspiracies behind every US move. US human rights organizations regularly criticize countries on their minority records.

3nd Muslim Roma send this letter to the us embassy telling them that they have to protect them also not only the Muslim Turkish minority and protect them from the Turkish consulate.

I can imagine Romas seeking refuge in the US consulate because of the opression of the Turkish consulate against them.  I do not know whether Romas need protection in Thrace from the Turkish counsulate, probably they do. Glad you are writing to the US embassy to ask for that. But just to clarify things here - are we talking about those same Roma whose cartbox houses your government tore down, who you chased out of the streets of Athens and hid from the objectives during the Olybic games, and whom Nikos Papadimas was complaining of not being able to paint in white?

Edited by bg_turk - 26-Nov-2006 at 11:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>