Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greece only SEE country listed as "Full Democracy"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Online Status: Offline
  Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greece only SEE country listed as "Full Democracy"
    Posted: 24-Nov-2006 at 14:40

Greece is the only Southeast European (SEE) country included in the group of the most democratic nations in the world, according to a new survey released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) this week.

Ranking 22nd among the surveyed 165 countries and two territories, Greece is classified as a "full democracy," along with 27 other nations. The rest of the countries fall into one of other three groups listed in the EIU democracy index -- "flawed democracies," "hybrid regimes" and "authoritarian regimes".

The index is based on the scores the countries are given for 60 indicators across five broad categories: electoral process and pluralism, the functioning of government, political participation, political culture and civil liberties.

For each of these categories, the surveyed nations are given scores from 0 to 10. The overall index of democracy is the simple average of the five category indexes. Almost without exception, the SEE countries' best scores are for the electoral process and pluralism and civil liberties categories.

With an overall score of 9.88 and marks of 10.00 in four of the five categories, Sweden is the highest-ranked nation in the table.

Greece's overall score of 8.13 places it behind Belgium and Japan, which share the 20th position and ahead of Britain and France, ranked 23rd and 24th, respectively. Its best marks are for electoral process and pluralism (9.58), and civil liberties (9.41), while its lowest (6.67) is for political participation.

Six other SEE countries -- Bulgaria (49th), Romania (50th), Croatia (51st), Serbia (55th), Montenegro (58th) and FYROM(68th) -- also fall in the "flawed democracies" group.

source:
http://www.setimes.com/cocoon/setimes/xhtml/en_GB/features/setimes/features/2006/11/24/feature-01

==============================================================

Well Done to the Greek people.  Clap
Even Greece gain the democracy rule in 1974 the quoted survey confirm how the borth place of  democracy won this place.I hope will be in more high place in the next survey figures.Smile

Edited by akritas - 24-Nov-2006 at 15:28
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2006 at 14:51
Your link does not work. 
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2006 at 15:27
Originally posted by bg_turk

Your link does not work. 

fix it

NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 01:18
Hey, nice, we're second in SEE! Considering that we were a communist country until 1989...
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 01:39
"Ranked 83rd, 87th and 88th, respectively, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Turkey are in the 30-nation "hybrid regimes" group. Their overall scores range from 5.91 points for Albania to 5.78 for BiH and 5.70 for Turkey.  Turkey's lowest mark of 3.75 is for political culture"

This tells much about the problems caused in the region.
EU is far away.

Edited by Brainstorm - 25-Nov-2006 at 01:43
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 13:10
Originally posted by NikeBG

Hey, nice, we're second in SEE! Considering that we were a communist country until 1989...

And we will be the first pretty soon. Not long ago, before the communists invaded our country, Bulgaria was the Switzerland of the Balkans.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 14:47
does anyone have a link for the economist index?
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 15:10
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 15:50
Originally posted by akritas

Six other SEE countries -- Bulgaria (49th), Romania (50th), Croatia (51st), Serbia (55th), Montenegro (58th) and FYROM(68th) -- also fall in the "flawed democracies" group.

That is true. In Bulgaria one can hardly find graffities like those that one meets in Aegean Macedonia. One might not know greek but words "Tanatos" and "Voulgaroi" are obvious.

They are present in those villages where old bulgarian people are affraid to speak bulgarian language outdoors. But this is by accident of course LOL 
Otherwise Greece in democratic country. I do believe.

Edited by Anton - 25-Nov-2006 at 15:53
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 16:11
Originally posted by Anton

That is true. In Bulgaria one can hardly find graffities like those that one meets in Aegean Macedonia. One might not know greek but words Tanatos and Voulgaroi are obvious.

They are present in those villages where old bulgarian people are affraid to speak bulgarian language outdoors. But this is by accident of course [/QUOTE

Is it possible to give us your sources about these conclusions or is just your personal  opinion.

Is it possible to give us your sources about these conclusions or is just your personal  opinion.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 16:21
Originally posted by Antioxos

About grafities? Like this for example:

Don't get me wrong, Antioxos. Good and bad people are everywhere. But when one starts to compare his nation's democracy with that of their neghbours, there is always a temptation to put a spoon of tan into the tun of honey Wink

Edited by Anton - 25-Nov-2006 at 16:35
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 01:23

Originally posted by Antioxos

About grafities? Like this for example:

Wink
Because the writing of the walls thats not mean the democracy in Greece is not working. This is  a cheap nationalistic propaganda AntonClap 
Do you know  who are  Stoidis and Lianis? as I see you are Greek speaker Anton.

Don't get me wrong, Antioxos. Good and bad people are everywhere. But when one starts to compare his nation's democracy with that of their neghbours, there is always a temptation to put a spoon of tan into the tun of honey
It depends the honey.Honey from the bees or from vesps? I prefer the first oneWink I know this survey pain alot of people , kind of people that try to find minorities ,  past massacres, free speech and other political thinks in order to gratify  theirs ego. I prefer the facts from the theories.Smile

Edited by akritas - 26-Nov-2006 at 01:24
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 01:44
OK, Greece is a "full democracy", which makes me happy, but that's not news really. I don't think anybody in their right mind (while being objective) would say the opposite. What's more important is (we Greeks) to see where we have problems, which are the flaws in our democracy, which are the main issues that need improvement and then work on them in order to make our democracy better and stronger. This hopefully (and very possibly) will lead to significantly higher quality of life as well.

That is true. In Bulgaria one can hardly find graffities like those that one meets in Aegean Macedonia. One might not know greek but words "Tanatos" and "Voulgaroi" are obvious.
They are present in those villages where old bulgarian people are affraid to speak bulgarian language outdoors.
Regarding the graffities that you describe I don't like them either, but there's not much that you can do, realistically. Moreover, I prefer this (i.e. people writing things on walls) than the alternative of people being afraid to write those stuff because the state is going to send them in jail.
Regarding the second issue that you raise, it's very sad if it's true, but as Antioxos said if you make such claims you'd better have some evidence.

The one in the left means "Liani Bulgarian traitor". It was probably written when Lianis was minister. And no, Liannis is not Bulgarian, he's Greek. I think that says one thing or two.
The second is about Stoidis, but I don't know this person.

Edited by Neoptolemos - 26-Nov-2006 at 01:45
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 02:08
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

The second is about Stoidis, but I don't know this person.

Nikolas Stoidis ....All the similar geocities(bg_turk favour sources)  that distrubute this fake propagnda  are made of him. Focus in the bottom of the page.

Is a Slavmacedonian, public servant  and as about his ethnicity we have these: 

- until 1999 was member of Rainbow, FYROMian. His name  was  Nikolas Stoyanovski Sleepy
-1999 since now is Bulgarian Macedonian.His name now is Nikolas Stoyanov LOL

This is the reason that Greece took the 22nd place.We have public servants to defame  Greece, but they pay from the same  "un-democratical" country according theirs nationalitic ego.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 02:24
Congratulations. I see Greece as the role model country for the Balkan states in terms of devolopment and democracy.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 03:11
geez bad graffiti, woopi

Edited by Leonidas - 26-Nov-2006 at 03:12
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 03:50
My personal opinion is that the Greek state has reduce  bureaucracy.which afflict all the Greek citizens.
In the section of civil rights i think that Greek state is among the first in the world.Sometime we say that we have so much freedom that we have to reduce it a few for the benefit of tha majority.For example 200 person demonstrate in the center of Athens and they close the roads.
The conversation that happen this period is to close only one line of the road if they are so few. 

"Anton"
"They are present in those villages where old Bulgarian people are afraid to speak Bulgarian language outdoors."

I m expecting your source also about the above because as i know in the Greek Bulgarian borders exist many mixed couples that they live freely and they speak any language they want.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 05:22
Originally posted by akritas

We have public servants to defame  Greece, but they pay from the same  "un-democratical" country according theirs nationalitic ego.

That in most parts of the world is called freedom of speech.

Of course, the improvements in the human rights record in Greece are welcome and very good news, and I hope Greece will continue working towards improving the rights of the Turkish minority.

But I find it surprising that you boast about being at the top in SEE, a region which has for the better part of its recent history been under the dark legacy of communism. Most of these countries have emerged from totalitarianism just over the last decade, whereas Greece bid goodbye to dictatorship almost three decades ago. That Greece should come at the top among the countries of the former east block is almost self-evident. I would be far more interested in how you compare to the rest of the EU. How do you comment for example, on the fact that countries such as Slovenia and the Czech Republic, which just became members, have a similar HDI to Greece and are about to surpass it in many economic parameters?

Edited by bg_turk - 26-Nov-2006 at 05:25
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 05:45
So,let leave the Czechs, the Slovenians and the Western Europeans express their opinion about  Greece's progress in democracy and economical development in this thread.

Why suddenly all Balcan members want to criticize again? Smile
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 07:02

I do not criticize Greece. I posted  graffities just because a dude started to compare countries. Which is sad to my opinion. I tried to show him that it is a bit early to be puffed up. Obviously and expectedly he called me nationalist. Smile

Antioxos, my source about people that affraid to speak Bulgarian is a movie about them. If you wish I may find a link to it but it is in Bulgarian. Another "source" is my grandma who were there several years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>