Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Periyar Ramasami

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tipu Sultan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Periyar Ramasami
    Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 10:50
this guy is my hero and a lot of people here dont know about him.

Periyar Ramasami (September 17, 1879 December 24, 1973), also known as E.V. Ramaswami Naicker, EVR, Thanthai Periyar, or just Periyar, was a atheist social reformer, an activist, and the founder of Dravidar Kazhagam and the Self-Respect Movement in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.

EVR's given name is Ramaswami. He was from a prominent Telugu Naidu caste, a community that is descended from the Nayak rulers of Tamil Nadu. Hence he is called E. V. Ramaswami Naicker. Periyar means 'respected one' or an 'elder' in Tamil.

MGR paying respects to Periyar's mortal remains
Enlarge
MGR paying respects to Periyar's mortal remains

Periyar was an atheist. He is well known for his antitheistic statement, "He who created god was a fool, he who spreads his name is a scoundrel, and he who worships him is a barbarian." Periyar's most popular writing is The Ramayana: A True Reading (1959), on the Ramayana, a Hindu epic. In 1956, he took a procession of Rama's picture garlanded with slippers near Dharmapuri and destroyed the portrait in public, which drew widespread protests from Indians whose religious sentiments were hurt.

cont........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periyar_Ramasami

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 13:39
i dont understand how he is considered to be a hero
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 13:42
Maybe he is famous in India
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 13:47
" In 1956, he took a procession of Rama's picture garlanded with slippers near Dharmapuri and destroyed the portrait in public"

Not a nice thing to do, seems like a provocateur, Y is he ur hero?
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 00:29
He is tipu's hero, because (these are tipu's comments):

"He who created god was a fool, he who spreads his name is a scoundrel, and he who worships him is a barbarian''

I wonder why tipu is so much fed up of his religion islam that he has personify an athiest as Hero. Tipu's very statements are a contradiction. Let me explain with reference to his religion.

"He who created god was a fool,

Dear Tipu, Allah, the allmighty, was not created by anybody. He himself is the all powerfull creator of the universe. 

he who spreads his name is a scoundrel,

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), who was the last prophet of God & spread the name of Allah amongst the ignorant people, was by no means a scoundrel as you seem to belive. He was a perfect & noble man.

and he who worships him is a barbarian''

Tipu you may be a barbarian, that doesn't mean all muslim are barbarian. The followers of islam are not barbarian, they are just like any other group of people in the world.

Periyar was a great man & I like him very much for he represented the athiest religion, one of the concepts in Hinduism. But Please do not try to discredit your own God & Prophet. Maybe you should seek some Psychiatrist's help. Or if you come to Bombay I will be pleased to take you to the Haji Ali Dargah & mosque at Bombay, which I visit regularly. The maulvi there is a very good person. He will be surely able to treat you.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 03:36
Vivek iam going to have to agree with your comments there.

Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

he represented the athiest religion, one of the concepts in Hinduism.

Not trying to have a at you or anything, just wondering how being an athiest is a religion and is a concept of Hinduism. Please explain Smile

This topic is just weird!
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 03:45
someone hacked tipu account? An atheist hero for tipu?

God know the best, because I did not understand this.LOL
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 03:57
Originally posted by OSMANLI

Vivek iam going to have to agree with your comments there.

Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

he represented the athiest religion, one of the concepts in Hinduism.

Not trying to have a at you or anything, just wondering how being an athiest is a religion and is a concept of Hinduism. Please explain Smile

This topic is just weird!

Well the reason is Hinduism is not an monolayered religion like others. In Christianity, you have Christ & God, In Islam you have Allah & Muhammad, In judaism you have Moses, In Zorastrianism, you have Ahura Mazda. They all propound a set of rules which has become the religion.

In hinduism you have n number of gods, concepts, philosophies, all competing with one other & related to each other.

The belief Periyar represented was the classic Abrahamic belief that there is no supreme god. The most powerfull person of the day is the god. While the whole of Hinduism says it is possible to challenge God, the Abrahamic people challenged the concept of the traditional God itself. They said that individual capabilities & power are what make you a God. If you have more of it, you become the god.

Their philosophy was the classical athiest philosophy about refuting theory of creation, asking for proof for the existence of God, if you said you belived in him, demanding you to show his power in actual practice.

This was a very powerful group in indian history always at war with the mainstream society. They were often victorious over the gods But suffered defeats for most of times.

But their was a dichotomy. So long as they were victorious, they were athiests. When defeated they would worship & seek the blessings of Asura Mahadev (Ahura Mazda to iranians), whom they considered as their supreme God, when they didn't consider themselves as God !!! As the frequency of their defeats increased, so also their devotion to this Asura Mahadev.

In Indian History / religion the Assryians, the melaynasians are followers of this belief.  
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 03:57

All though I am pleased to give the explanations for the subject that has been brought up, I am still at a total loss to understand how tipu has become an athiest overnight & such a great supporter of one of the most ancient Hindu philosphies.

Any way I wish him best of Luck in his new endeavour.

Edited by Vivek Sharma - 31-Oct-2006 at 04:23
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 04:14

Periyar was a very popular politician. The British India was broadly divided into the Bengal, the Bombay & the Madras presidincies. The britishers had come up with the fancy theory of aryan invasion in the subcontinent, which implied that the dravid people of the Madras presidency were the people whom the Aryans had defeated. The theory also implied that the Dravid people were inferior to the aryans of the north India. Periyar made himself a messiah of the dravid people of the Madras Presidiency & advocated the Abrahamic sect of hinduism in its extreme to  garner the votes. He founded a party called the Dravida Muneetra Kazagam, which advcated the supremecy of the Abrahamic people & faith & backed it up by opposition to all things north Indian. He became very popular in the United Madras Presidency, but after independence, there were fractures in his popularity in South India as the princely states of Hyderabad, Mysore & some others also joined India. Now these states were also Dravid as per the Aryan invasion theory, but had  different languages from the ones Periyar was trying to promote. These new states were also more populous. Further the reorganisation of states in india made a new stat called tamilnadu, which largely fulfilled his demand for a separate state. All this resulted in a gradual decline of the  popularity of his doctrine, although DMK, with a different set of beliefs still prospers & presently rules the state of tamilnadu.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 04:32
Originally posted by Tipu Sultan

he who worships him is a barbarian." Periyar's most popular writing is The Ramayana: A True Reading (1959), on the Ramayana, a Hindu epic.

cont........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periyar_Ramasami

I tried this wiki hyperlink you mentioned tipu, but it says that no such article exists. Could you please post another source for the benefit of people who would be interested in knowing about your new religion / belief. 

Edited by Vivek Sharma - 31-Oct-2006 at 04:34
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 10:45
LOL-i understand your emotions vivek regarding him he said to the masses if there is a brahmin and a snake side by side leave the snake and kill the brahmiun first.and hello i am not saying this,if you dont believe me ask vivek himself.
and vivek i dont go to these dargahas it is unislamic but some misguided-lol people go there.
AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote AP Singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 03:33
Originally posted by Mortaza

God know the best, because Idid not understand this.[IMG]height=17 alt=LOL src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

No it is not a case of account hacking. It is case of the entering the soul of a devil in to the body of a human being and the Devil has taken control of his mind.

God has created the world and nobody created the God. So he did not say anything aagainst GOD.He said lot of bad things against Prophet Mohammad since Prophet spread the name of Allaha (God). That is the problem with all these neo converts who does not understand the Muslim religion and dont know what they are saying.

Regarding Periyar I dont know much but first of all he should have changed his name which itself show how much respect his parents had for Rama.He must have done so to get public attention no matter in a bad sense but he may not have been noticed otherwise.
I also read Ramayana many times since my childhood and found cetain things illogical but as far as the character of Rama is considered he was 99.99999% a perfect Man (Purishottam). Like the Brahmins have no right to insult the Dalits similarly the dalits also have no right to insult them. Please note that fisrt time the epic of ramayana was written by Rishi Balmiki and this shows that Ram was a very much popular character among all sections of societies. Moreover killing of a brahmins and cow is a act which is prohibited in Hindu religion. Was periyar a muslim or buddha?    

Edited by AP Singh - 01-Nov-2006 at 04:01
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 04:04
Originally posted by Tipu Sultan

LOL-i understand your emotions vivek regarding him he said to the masses if there is a brahmin and a snake side by side leave the snake and kill the brahmiun first.and hello i am not saying this,if you dont believe me ask vivek himself.
and vivek i dont go to these dargahas it is unislamic but some misguided-lol people go there.

Thanks Tipu for converting to my faith & liking my hero.

I can understand why you don't like to go to the mosque at haji Ali. It is for people who want to come with heart's and minds pure. So you possibly think that you are automatically excluded. But please don't feel so frustrated that you have to change your faith. I can understand that one may not want to visit a psychiatrist, but The people at Haji Ali will be able to treat you very nicely.

Edited by Vivek Sharma - 01-Nov-2006 at 07:20
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 04:42
and he who worships him is a barbarian''

Tipu you may be a barbarian, that doesn't mean all muslim are barbarian

Well said indeed...lol
ashokharsana View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote ashokharsana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 07:11

Even I am going through a big shock.......What happened to Tipu ???

Some people read a book and start belieing that all written in the book was 100% true . The very next day they get another book and they again straightaway start beleiving that everything i read earlier was false and now i got an authentic info ....
I hope this is not the case with our Tipu sultan

Tipu what about the threads and posts you created earlier ???

Are you willing to edit all those things u posted before 30th oct, 06

I am totally confused AngryAngry
The Real Ranas, The Real Emperors of India. http://ashokharsana.proboards107.com/index.cgi?board=gurjars
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 07:23
The more important question is which is the next book waiting to be read ? I only hope it is not Mein Kampf.
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 11:02
well respected periyar was a great person and i have great respect for him.
i am a muslim but that does not mean i cannot have non muslim heroes.the great periyar is my hero.
and i dont go to dargahas because stupid people go there(and vivek it is not a mosque)i will go to the mosque but not to the grave,so kindly dont teach me my religionBig smile
the great periyar had great respect for muslims and Islam and he infact stated that the muslim invasion of india helped the dalits but he also condemed kings like akbar who married high caste women and forgot about the dalits.
and you guys seem to be angry with me,remember i am for dalit reservation in all universities including iim's for thousands of years the brahmins tortured and harassed and raped the dalits but not any more.Islam is the savior of all oppressed people.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 02:19

You are getting confused & mixing the facts. First decide your priorities & clear your confusion. And then start fighting for the rights of the underprivilged lower caste & untouchable muslims. Even I was surprised at your confusion for most of the SIMI members I have seen are far more clear & forthright in theri views. 

Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 10:34
well a brahmin always remains a brahmin.
first of all simi is simi,i hate simi like i hate the rss because both are extremist and anti national groups and dont think you can fool me with your talk vivek.
i am not a fool to be fooled by a brahmin.Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>