Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R1a1/M17's origins:South Asia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
explorer6 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote explorer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R1a1/M17's origins:South Asia?
    Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 08:57
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

Originally posted by explorer6

Oppenheimer concludes with two extraordinary conclusions: 'First, that the Europeans' genetic homeland was originally in South Asia in the Pakistan/Gulf region over 50,000 years ago; and second, that the Europeans' ancestors followed at least two widely separated routes to arrive, ultimately, in the same cold but rich garden. The earliest of these routes was the Fertile Crescent. The second early route from South Asia to Europe may have been up the Indus into Kashmir and on to Central Asia, where perhaps more than 40,000 years ago hunters first started bringing down game as large as mammoths.'

This is not a quote of Oppenheimer but someone else interpreting him. Also it does not address the research based on caste which is my emphasis. Here is what Oppenheimer says in the book mentioned by Kak:

"
South Asia is logically the ultimate origin of M17 and his ancestors; and sure enough we find highest rates and greatest diversity of the M17 line in Pakistan, India, and eastern Iran, and low rates in the Caucasus. M17 is not only more diverse in South Asia than in Central Asia but diversity characterizes its presence in isolated tribal groups in the south, thus undermining any theory of M17 as a marker of a 'male Aryan Invasion of India.'
Study of the geographical distribution and the diversity of genetic branches and stems again suggests that Ruslan, along with his son M17, arose early in South Asia, somewhere near India, and subsequently spread not only south-east to Australia but also north, directly to Central Asia, before splitting east and west into Europe and East Asia."

It's impossible even using much more complete data to narrow down the geographical area with that much precision,  so to insist on Pakistan sounds like nationalistic chest-beating to me.

[QUOTE]

Also look at Fig 2 in the following study:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=16893451

Three South Indian tribes with a total sample size of 250 have 46 R1a1 with an STR variance of .53.  They used a different method though than that in the Sengupta et al. study.

And the study you show above does not show Pakistani variances, which as you clearly suggest yourself would be higher to the Sengupta study as they've used a different sampling method!
[QUOTE]

I did not suggest that their data was higher due to a different method. You can email Thanseem himself.  The tribal data is higher than for high castes. You can also email Oppenheimer on this subject.

Just because the sample is smaller does not mean the variance will be higher as in the Indian Muslim sample. The total sample of tribal is not 12 but that is the number that have R1a1.

It does mean this. If you don't understand what the variance depends on, ask someone who does. If the samples are too small (like in the table you quote from Sengupta but not the table I quoted), your sample variance will be higher because there is greater chance of  giving more significance to inaccurate points. 
[QUOTE]

Small samples only give lower accuracy.  The data can give either too low or too high results.  The results come closer to the truth as the sample grows closer to true representation. All the samples are too small.  If the sample was too small too be insignicant, then Sengupta et al. would not mention the signifcance of tribes having higher variance than upper castes.   Nowhere do they mention that this is simply a function of the smaller sample.

Voice of the Ancestors

TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 14:52

This is not a quote of Oppenheimer but someone else interpreting him. Also it does not address the research based on caste which is my emphasis. Here is what Oppenheimer says in the book mentioned by Kak

It looks like a quote to me or some sort of paraphrase. Regardless that quote is intended to be from Oppenheimers book.

At least we can eliminate nationalistic bias from there, so that leaves someone who cannot understand English yet he's managed to right an article for a major Indian magazine on the subject that is widely circulated. Eliminating nationalism from Indian papers, you get a fairly accurate picture of what is what, and there's hundreds of other websites that have come up with the same quote. If you think that they're all wrong, then you're trying to see something that is not there. Buy his book and you'll see what is quoted as R1a1 arising from the Pakistan/Gulf region is what Oppenheimer states in his book.

South Asia is logically the ultimate origin of M17 and his ancestors; and sure enough we find highest rates and greatest diversity of the M17 line in Pakistan, India, and eastern Iran, and low rates in the Caucasus. M17 is not only more diverse in South Asia than in Central Asia but diversity characterizes its presence in isolated tribal groups in the south, thus undermining any theory of M17 as a marker of a 'male Aryan Invasion of India.'
Study of the geographical distribution and the diversity of genetic branches and stems again suggests that Ruslan, along with his son M17, arose early in South Asia, somewhere near India, and subsequently spread not only south-east to Australia but also north, directly to Central Asia, before splitting east and west into Europe and East Asia."

Right, now read what you quote carefully. Nowhere in any of that quote does it say that R1a1 arose in India. In fact it specifically says that R1a1 arose somewhere NEAR India. It says R1a1 is diverse in Pakistan, India and also Eastern Iran (Baloch areas preseumably).

It's impossible even using much more complete data to narrow down the geographical area with that much precision, so to insist on Pakistan sounds like nationalistic chest-beating to me

Ignorant assumption. If you read my previous postings on this, I believe and still do, that R1a1 arose in Eastern Europe during the LGM. Though what I am saying is that diversity of R1a1 in Pakistan is much greater than in India which is what Oppenheimer is saying and it's what every investigator has said for R1a1

I did not suggest that their data was higher due to a different method. You can email Thanseem himself. The tribal data is higher than for high castes. You can also email Oppenheimer on this subject.

This is getting very very silly now. You quoted a paper to show that the Indian tribes had a variance of 0.53 R1a1. Guess what? This adds no further evidence to your point that R1a1 is likely to originate in India as opposed to Pakistan (or even Eastern Europe). The study needs to take very large samples from India, from Pakistan and Eastern Europe and compare them all. This has not been done in the study that you quote from where you're trying to make some nonsensical point about Indian tribals having a large R1a1 variance - it's been known that R1a1 in Indian tribes do have a large variance (but not the largest), and it's known the Indian tribes and castes group together. If you read the paper you quote from it says even that Indian castes and Indian tribes show similar variances for Ra1, so the tribal R1a1 could easily come from caste R1a1.

AMOVA analysis revealed 2.77% variation among the three tribal populations studied. They showed 2.18% variation, when compared with the 8 South Indian tribal populations studied earlier. When Andh samples were omitted from the analysis, the other two populations showed more closeness to the other Indian tribes, with 1.72% variation. Interestingly, the variation between the studied tribal populations and 13 Indian caste populations (Table 4) was only 1.14%. When all the available data were combined (11 tribes and 13 castes) the variance between the groups became 2.85% (north-east Indian tribal data omitted). This is a remarkably lower value than the earlier report of Cordaux et al [13], where they found 13% variation between the Indian tribal and caste groups. In this study, however, we omitted populations with samples size less than 20, and those for which all biallelic polymorphisms were not typed. A total of 508 tribal and 901 caste samples were included in the analysis; this forms the broadest dataset of Indian Y chromosomes, so far [see Additional file 1].

If you email Thanseem, he will repeat the quote above, and if you email Oppenheimer he will repeat what he says in his book, that R1a1 originated in the Pakistan/Gulf region. I don't know why this is so difficult to take in, as hundreds of websites mention this quote.

Small samples only give lower accuracy. The data can give either too low or too high results. The results come closer to the truth as the sample grows closer to true representation. All the samples are too small. If the sample was too small too be insignicant, then Sengupta et al. would not mention the signifcance of tribes having higher variance than upper castes. Nowhere do they mention that this is simply a function of the smaller sample.

Small samples will give greater variances and false results as it's unlikely that a good sample has been taken. This is basic knowledge and Sengupta DOES ignore the tribal values in the larger table I quoted from above (samples >20 were used so the 12 sample you quoted above was ignored). If you read the quote above, Cordeaux found that variances of 13% because he used samples <20, and all this variance was lost when they used samples >20 (according to Thanseem). Cordeaux incidentally, finds that R1a1 came from central asia and then passed onto the tribals through bidirectional gene flow.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 28-Nov-2006 at 15:51
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
explorer6 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote explorer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 14:58

[QUOTE]

Buy his book and you'll see what is quoted as R1a1 arising from the Pakistan/Gulf region is what Oppenheimer states in his book.

[QUOTE]

Don't have to buy the book as I've already read it, and have email correspondence with Oppenheimer himself. He only gives the area of "South Asia" and does not specify Pakistan.

It's impossible even using much more complete data to narrow down the geographical area with that much precision, so to insist on Pakistan sounds like nationalistic chest-beating to me

Ignorant assumption. If you read my previous postings on this, I believe and still do, that R1a1 arose in Eastern Europe during the LGM.

Ok I see where you're coming from -- complete ignorance and "white hopes!"  No used arguing with someone caught in a dream of "Aryan" invaders.

Voice of the Ancestors

General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 15:14

don't have to buy the book as I've already read it, and have email correspondence with Oppenheimer himself. He only gives the area of "South Asia" and does not specify Pakistan

Obviously I only have your word against the word of a reporter from the Rediff paper. You'll understand if I take Rediff a bit more seriously than you

Ok I see where you're coming from -- complete ignorance and "white hopes!"  No used arguing with someone caught in a dream of "Aryan" invaders

LOL If I'm a nationalist as you suggested before, I'd be all for Pakistan being completely indigenous. But it's not and anthroplogy is clear on it. Pashtuns are partly descended from Greeks so does that make me a Greek nationalist or mean I have dreams of being Greek? No, it's a simple fact. Likewise, there has been no proper evidence to show that R1a1 arose in the subcontinent. There is a theory, but R1a1 is just more likely to have arose from the North. All this happened a couple of thousand years ago so there's enough time to introduce other changes into people (and even to colour up some skin).

Edited by TeldeInduz - 28-Nov-2006 at 15:55
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2006 at 21:45
Afghans  from greeks ?? then that would extend gradually eastwards too, by the same logic. Would also serve as a good explanation for many of your theories. Good reasoning.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 00:46
Nope, it didn't extend eastwards with the Greeks..Perhaps as much as 5% or 10% of Pakistani Pashtuns have Greek ancestry, but no other ethnic group in Pakistan seems to have had any Greek input..
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 02:56
The western punjabis no eastern pakistanis will have it. they were conquered by alexander right ?
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 04:14
One of the things that happened with Alexander's army was they kept getting killed by pakis starting from Porus all the way down the Indus. Now, to replenish the dead soldiers Alexander had to recruit other pakis I believe. How many he recruited I do not know but that fact just crossed my mind because only now I realized that many of these pakis might have ended up back in greece and persia.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 04:24
When did zinna tell porus that he was a paki ?
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 04:25
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

The western punjabis no eastern pakistanis will have it. they were conquered by alexander right ?

Actually, no the Western Punjabis do not have any Greek admixture, and the the Eastern Punjabis dont either. Greek admixture is restricted to a small but sizeable amount of the Pakistani Pathan population at least the Y-haplogroups are.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 29-Nov-2006 at 04:28
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 17:10

Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Actually, no the Western Punjabis do not have any Greek admixture, and the the Eastern Punjabis dont either. Greek admixture is restricted to a small but sizeable amount of the Pakistani Pathan population at least the Y-haplogroups are.

And that specific Y-haplogroup is....?
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 00:43
M78..Haplo E3b1..Only the Pathan sample has Greek origin E3b1.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12