Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who is the greatest Turkic leader? (REVISED LIST)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Who is the greatest Turkic leader? (REVISED LIST)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [7.35%]
1 [1.47%]
14 [20.59%]
9 [13.24%]
3 [4.41%]
1 [1.47%]
2 [2.94%]
2 [2.94%]
3 [4.41%]
28 [41.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
TheMysticNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheMysticNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is the greatest Turkic leader? (REVISED LIST)
    Posted: 30-Sep-2007 at 10:58

Yeah, I kinda thought that.  Those scholars can sure be annoying!

Unify All Countries!
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2007 at 04:03
Originally posted by TheMysticNomad

Pekau, you can be Attila in spirit!

The question here is about Turkic leaders rather than Turks specifically.  Most of the scholars I have read identify the Huns as Turkic or at least proto-Turkic.  I would agree that they were the first major Turkic group in history, but I would be careful not to call them "Turks" as the Turks (as a group by that name) did not appear in history until several centuries after the Huns did.

I hope that made sense.Ermm

Attila says you do not make sense. He says that he can be Turk whenever he feels like it.Wink

Join us.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2007 at 00:31
I voted for Attila as he is my favourite historical figure, but Suleyman was the most successful among these.

Attila, and the Huns as a whole, still have yet to be proven to be Turks, or even related to Turks for that matter. There is no conclusive evidence showing anything.

Unless you developed a new theory about their origin, there are two options: Huns may be Turkic, or partially Turkic.

Ataturk was a great leader, he united the Turks of the old Ottoman lands, had expanded influence and worked together with Azerbaycan Turks and various movements in Central Asia

Are you sure that you are not mistaking him for Enver? As far as I know, he did not have any Turanist ambitions unlike you, Mr. Bulldog.

TheMysticNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheMysticNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2007 at 09:39

Pekau, you can be Attila in spirit!

The question here is about Turkic leaders rather than Turks specifically.  Most of the scholars I have read identify the Huns as Turkic or at least proto-Turkic.  I would agree that they were the first major Turkic group in history, but I would be careful not to call them "Turks" as the Turks (as a group by that name) did not appear in history until several centuries after the Huns did.

I hope that made sense.Ermm
Unify All Countries!
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2007 at 05:06
Originally posted by Penelope

Originally posted by Onogur

I vote for Attila, Atilla, Attilla... Avitokhol.... does not really matter, how the name is spelled... everybody knows who he was!

By the way, he was kind of an idol to the most of the other candidates, even to Genghis Khan (however, it is hard to consider Genghis Khan to be of a turkic origin).

Attila is the One, whose steps were followed by the others. He was the One, who first united the turkic and the other nomadic people, and he was the One without who all other later turkic khans and leaders would have never been. He is the Greatest of all the turkic leaders ever!

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Attila, and the Huns as a whole, still have yet to be proven to be Turks, or even related to Turks for that matter. There is no conclusive evidence showing anything.

If Attila can be qualified as the candidate...

Then quite frankly, I will have to vote for myself. I would have won if not for the fact that I am not Turk, or Attila for that matter...Dead

Join us.
AndronicusRex View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AndronicusRex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 04:37
Tough call, really I'd say its a tie between Suleiman and Ataturk.
Andronicus Rex, Noble of the Republic

http://angryamericanaristocrat.blogspot.com/
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 17:55

It would be nice if those who voted would actually explain why they voted for whoever they did. Alot of people have picked their favourite but given no reason for it.

Ataturk was a great leader, he united the Turks of the old Ottoman lands, had expanded influence and worked together with Azerbaycan Turks and various movements in Central Asia, fought in many wars and had many victories ultimately resurrecting a state on the ashes of the previous one.

However, can he really be compared to "Timur"? , "Oghuz/Mete Kagan"? "Bilge Kagan"? "Suleyman the Magnificent" etc who founded superpowers.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Hulegu Han View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hulegu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 15:33

Nearly half of participants voted for Ataturk. And it seems at least most of voters are Turkish Turks. All these are nonsense since everyone voted for their native leader. Anyway although Ataturk have big effects on Turkey, he never influenced other Turkic countries. Turks exagerate his historic role as musch as they do about Ottoman empire.

Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 06:06
Originally posted by Onogur

I vote for Attila, Atilla, Attilla... Avitokhol.... does not really matter, how the name is spelled... everybody knows who he was!

By the way, he was kind of an idol to the most of the other candidates, even to Genghis Khan (however, it is hard to consider Genghis Khan to be of a turkic origin).

Attila is the One, whose steps were followed by the others. He was the One, who first united the turkic and the other nomadic people, and he was the One without who all other later turkic khans and leaders would have never been. He is the Greatest of all the turkic leaders ever!

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

The_Turks View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote The_Turks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 05:32
Nadir Shah. Coz I'm an Avshar LOL
PROUD TO BE TURKMEN...

Onogur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onogur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 23:13

Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 17:08
ofcourse as a turk we will accept turkic tribes history as our history.Why does this bother other nations. For me Krum Han is also my history as the delhi sultanates. But also we owe respect to their history and we must respect
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 01:02

'Qaqa' is the Turkmen way of saying 'qaghan' or 'haqan'.

Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 07:32
What does Qaqa mean? All I know is Turkic people used Qaghan, Haqan, Han etc, never encountered a title like that.

Manas isn't a legendary figure. He was a real leader, maybe not that known to the other Turkic people, but in the eyes of Qirghiz people, he was a great hero. He was the reason for one of the greatest epoths in the world.
Either make a history or become a history.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 13:45

He's the one I vote fore, Oghuz Qaqa.

By the way, Manas is not only a legend. Maybe you should revise your list again...

Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 15:25
Think that Mete Khan didn't found an army with the system 10-100-1000. Think of an army without this system. I think Mete Khan is the best. What a great invention...
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 14:26
There Timur, Timurlenk, Timurlane, Aqsaq Timur, Amir Timur, if that's not enough, تیمور لنگ, Timur Gurkani, Taimure, Teymour, Conqueror of the World" تیمور جهانگشا

I hope everybody is happy
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 14:06
I assume you kept Tamerlame instead of Timurlenk to adhere to the english spelling. By the way, rider is a moderator not 'Admin'.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 13:34
Rider
Oh, and who was Tamerlame? It seems you have crushed one of your national heroes into being 'lame'...

Thanks for your input, however, if you could return when you have something a little more mature and relevant to add it would be most appreciated.

When you have "Moderator" behaving like this, well what can you say, how responsible

Edited by Bulldog - 13-Nov-2006 at 14:13
Albert Pine

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 12:54
Oh, and who was Tamerlame? It seems you have crushed one of your national heroes into being 'lame'...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>