Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are the Dravidians ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the Dravidians ?
    Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 05:48
Their are a lot of opinions as th their origin & contribution to world culture. What exactly is the truth ? Are they different from Aryas, same as the polynesian ? were they part of the egyptian - Sumerian - babylonian civilizations which are said to have been run over by the Aryas

PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 13:55
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Their are a lot of opinions as th their origin & contribution to world culture. What exactly is the truth ? Are they different from Aryas, same as the polynesian ? were they part of the egyptian - Sumerian - babylonian civilizations which are said to have been run over by the Aryas

Perhaps the question should be divided into two parts. Who were and are the dravidians genetically speaking and who did they become by today over the last 10,000 years.

Then the linguistic question as well, what was the oldest dravidian root language and where did it start to differenciate itself and merge with other surrounding tongues and at what periods.

Besides all that there is another historical fact that needs to be clarified: Did panini incorporate a lot of "dravidian" vocabulary into classic sanskrit when he was overhauling the grammar rules 2000-2500 years ago to produce modern sanskrit?
Dear Sir View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Dear Sir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 05:12
I think Dravidian is a linguistic term.Speaker of a Dravidian language is a Dravidian.

AHAM BRAHMASMI
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 15:19
Originally posted by Dear Sir

I think Dravidian is a linguistic term.Speaker of a Dravidian language is a Dravidian.

Some people refer to them as a race as well. Others lump all subcontinent people together in the same asiatic subrace. The question that comes to my mind is how different are North Indians from South Indians genetically? Since it seems that the highest concentrations of "dravidians" would be somewhere in the south of India.
RajputGirl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote RajputGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 18:18
Others lump all subcontinent people together in the same asiatic subrace

That would be your worst nightmare, wouldn't it?    Cry 

They should recognize the grandiose Pakistanis as their own race.    

Those Indian Muslim migrant Muslims shouldn't be included in the Pakistani race, or even be lumped with the Pakistani Punjabis,  because that will just ruin your chances of being accepted by Afghans, Persians and Arabs.  Embarrassed   

Edited by RajputGirl - 01-Oct-2006 at 19:14
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2006 at 22:53
Originally posted by RajputGirl

Those Indian Muslim migrant Muslims shouldn't be included in the Pakistani race, or even be lumped with the Pakistani Punjabis,  because that will just ruin your chances of being accepted by Afghans, Persians and Arabs.  Embarrassed   

Yes thats a terrible thought for a lot of people I am sure. Anyway back to the topic. Dravidian language, history, genes, religions and empires...how to define them versus north indian ones? Who exactly are the hard core dravidians today and who were they throughout history? This north-south differentiation is too vague.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 01:26
Originally posted by RajputGirl

I really admire the way you a bring a person to the point & the truth.
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 03:57
1. Dravidians have been the creation of Robert Caldwell, a christian missionary.

2. There is no mention of the word "DRavidian" in the ancient Tamil literature.

3. Kindly read the postings appearing on the Aryan and Dravidian problems appearing in this forum by K. V. Ramakrishna Rao.

4. As has been mentioned by Vivek Sharma, "Are they different from Aryas, same as the polynesian ? were they part of the egyptian - Sumerian - babylonian civilizations which are said to have been run over by the Aryas" - had they run over tem, there must have been the same pattern as reportedly exhibited by the "race theory" interpreters. If not the other one that there is no aryan race and aryan invasion.

5. Maqsad creates confusion bring so-many things:

a. "Who were and are the dravidians genetically speaking and  who did they become by today over the last 10,000 years. 

b. Then the linguistic question as well, what was the oldest dravidian root language and where did it start to differenciate itself and merge with other surrounding tongues and at what periods.

c. Besides all that there is another historical fact that needs to be clarified:

d. Did panini incorporate a lot of "dravidian" vocabulary into classic sanskrit when he was overhauling the grammar rules 2000-2500 years ago to produce modern sanskrit?"

When Vivek does not mention "Dravidians", why Maqsad mentions it?

About the "Genetically speaking Dravidians", all the "DRavidian politicians" and "Dravidologists" would be more happy! That too, when there were even before the advent of Tolkappiyam, Ettuttogai, Patttuppattu!!

The he mentions about the "oldest Dravidian root" - even Caldwell would turn around in his grave!!!

Ah, the Sanskrit is just like some "vehicle" to overhaul, when the Dravidians were not there!!!!

The "All-empire Forum" readers and contributors should do some home work, before coming and writing something like this with pre-conceived, biased and prejudiced notions.

6. Race and language are different.

7. Script and language are different.

However, the Tamil poets said "Yedum ure, yavarum kelir"

8. Then, come the RajputGirl etc., started mentioning "Pakistani race"!!!!! and so on.

Long live "history"

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 04:53
Welcome Mr. Nachiaappan. You are a knowledgeble person, you would be able to bring the truth to light.
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 05:16
Dear Sri. Vivek Sharma,

Saprema Namaskaram or Vannakkam,

I do not know as to you are appreciating or otherwise, as the members of the forum behaviour is intriguing or contradicting or strange.

2. I cannot claim that I am knowledegable. Our Poet Kambar has said that writing "Ramayana" is just like "a cat who arrogantly attempting to drink the entire milky ocean" (Pargadal = the milky ocean in Tamil, of Sri Vishnu).

3. I only again request "members" to be careful, precise and upto the point instead of making pre-determined remarks.

Anyway, thank you for your comments (I have also read your mail).

Thank you again.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 05:32
I am appreciating you Sir.

Knowledgeble people never claim to be knowledgeble, others can simply see their knowledge.

From your posts it becomes evidently clear that you have good knowledge of what you are speaking about.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 17:50
Originally posted by M. Nachiappan

5. Maqsad creates confusion bring so-many things:

a. "Who were and are the dravidians genetically speaking and  who did they become by today over the last 10,000 years. 

b. Then the linguistic question as well, what was the oldest dravidian root language and where did it start to differenciate itself and merge with other surrounding tongues and at what periods.

c. Besides all that there is another historical fact that needs to be clarified:

d. Did panini incorporate a lot of "dravidian" vocabulary into classic sanskrit when he was overhauling the grammar rules 2000-2500 years ago to produce modern sanskrit?"

When Vivek does not mention "Dravidians", why Maqsad mentions it?

About the "Genetically speaking Dravidians", all the "DRavidian politicians" and "Dravidologists" would be more happy! That too, when there were even before the advent of Tolkappiyam, Ettuttogai, Patttuppattu!!

The he mentions about the "oldest Dravidian root" - even Caldwell would turn around in his grave!!!

Ah, the Sanskrit is just like some "vehicle" to overhaul, when the Dravidians were not there!!!!

The "All-empire Forum" readers and contributors should do some home work, before coming and writing something like this with pre-conceived, biased and prejudiced notions.

6. Race and language are different.

7. Script and language are different.

However, the Tamil poets said "Yedum ure, yavarum kelir"

8. Then, come the RajputGirl etc., started mentioning "Pakistani race"!!!!! and so on.

Long live "history"

You really need to understand the fundemental differences between a QUESTION and a STATEMENT before you start ranting on here. "creates confusion"? This whole thread is about the definitions and facts surrounding dravidians, what they are and who they are. Read Nachiapan! Before you start quoting and ranting everyone here.

I am not creating any confusion I am contributing points that need to be discussed and clarified. If you have any facts, or even any opinions then type them out here instead of these nonsensical personal attacks.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 02:28
He was expecting you to be knowledgeble about the issue, probably.
Tipu Sultan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 09:52
the dravidians are the original inhabitants of this country who followed pagan beliefs like worshipping of nature,worship of mother goddess they were defeated by the invading aryan brahmins and were hence forth treated as untouchables.
like the muslims of india,brahminism and aryans are also foreigner to the land of india.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 11:33
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

He was expecting you to be knowledgeble about the issue, probably.

Just because I am attempting to organise the cataloguing of the basics of this thread doesn't mean I am not "knowlegable".
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 11:46
Originally posted by Tipu Sultan

the dravidians are the original inhabitants of this country who followed pagan beliefs like worshipping of nature,worship of mother goddess they were defeated by the invading aryan brahmins and were hence forth treated as untouchables.
like the muslims of india,brahminism and aryans are also foreigner to the land of india.

Yep thats one of the most widely dispersed  theories.  I have also heard another one that when the brahmins came they also created  genetic  hybrids straight away through their progeny and  used these hybrids as  the brahmins, the other two casts trader and warrior were recruits into the brahmanic system. And the new cast, shudras, were the rebels who remained the conquered resistance.
Tipu Sultan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 12:06
yes it is valid sociological theory.avtually they are four varnas-brahmins who claim they are from head,the kshatriyas who claim they are from arms,the vaiyshyas whom the brahmins claim they are from the hips and the shudras who are from the feet according to the brahmins.
but there are hundereds and thousands of castes and sub castes in india.there are gotras and what not.even among the brahmins the nambudri brahmins are of the highest caste among the brahmins themselves.

actually the dravidians are these shudras and untouchables and the vaishyas and their castes and sub castes.
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 13:54
Originally posted by Tipu Sultan

actually the dravidians are these shudras and untouchables and the vaishyas and their castes and sub castes.

I don't actually get what you are saying. Could you provide a source? Perhaps explain it again?
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 01:40
I asked him How do you know more about the original tipu than the original tipu him self. I am still waiting for an answer.

He just makes a statment & then forgets about it, will not back it up with evidence. I even offered to invite him to India & show him around to correct his fallacies, but again no response.

Tipu, I would again like to invite you to India & show you the actual picture, if you are interesting in seeking the truth. Your theories are devoid of any substance.

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 08:03
The main reason I ask is because whenever I go India people always speak so greatly of South Indian mandirs. They awe the size and splendour of them. The people I got this information, priests.

What is this invading Aryan brahmin nonsense? Are you seriously trying to prove that all invading "Aryans" were Brahmins?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>