Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pope's gaffe?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pope's gaffe?
    Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 20:21
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Sparten

He served in the army. I think he must be the first pope for 1500 years to have seen action.

More like 500 IIRC, at the very least. Pope's leading their own armies has not been all that unusual.

I wonder how Benedict's PR will handle this one.

Perhaps there is no need for PR to be involved.  Perhaps the Pope meant to say what he said.  He is not entirely wrong.

Many Moslems seem to think they are special and entitled to an exalted place.  They also seem to think that their "prophet" is immune from criticism.  They are wrong on both counts.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 21:22
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

That being said, I do think some muslims tend to overreact. I saw images on the telly of groeps of angry shouting people burning popelike scarecrows. They should not do that, it makes the whole muslim world look bad. If someone would say this about jesus, you would not get riots in the street, I bet.

You'll probably find that the TV cameras paid some youths so they could get some pictures. Thats what usually happens, or they re-use old film.

This is where fellow Muslims fail.. The Vatican itself is not taken  very seriously by the most of fellow Christians.

Thats true. The net affect of this is that a lot of catholics are going to be walking down to mosques to apologise for their clergy. Thats what happened the when Cardinal Pell did the same. The only christians who would be influenced by this are those who already believed it (and maybe the "Christians" - who really aren't christians at all in my opinion)

Many Moslems seem to think they are special and entitled to an exalted place.  They also seem to think that their "prophet" is immune from criticism.  They are wrong on both counts.

No, this not about differences of opinion the difference is spreading a lie for the purposes of bigotry. If I said George Washinton was a murderous criminal that wreaked havoc across the American coloneys enforcing his rebellious ideas by the sword. Many Americans would get offened and rightly so, however if I said that since thats a lie that I'm attempting to pass off as fact. If I said that George Washinton was a seperatist against our glorious empire, then thats a point of view.

Nothings wrong with points of view, so long as they are factual and are not intended to cause strife.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 15-Sep-2006 at 21:24
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 01:31
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Ofcourse people in the Muslim world seem to be overacting.

I think this is precisely, because they place a high value on the Pope for the fact that he is the head of Vatican. So these Muslims, who overact, think that his view will effect the whole Christian World.. This is where fellow Muslims fail.. The Vatican itself is not taken  very seriously by the most of fellow Christians.

Personally I do not take serious someone when he speaks on a subject ignorantly..here,in this case, Benedict also seems to be ignorant on the philosophy of Muhammad. If he wasnt, he would quote Muhammad himself  not an emperor who lived 700 years later than him.

Got your point. But did the pope say anything wrong ? Is'nt the truth same ?
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 05:19

Pope had spoken in favour of dialogue between religions, which is something that  also support and consider urgent and necessary. Benedict  emphasised was a decisive and uncompromising renunciation of all forms of violence in the name of religion. In my opinion  Pope  just explored the historical and philosophical differences between Muslim  and Christian religions and of course  the relationship between violence and faith.

Originally posted by Seko

Now onto a few issues. The Pope seems to stress the importance of faith, inquiry and Godliness. He presents a transforming epic of certain aspects of Greek religious history. The virtues of faith and reason/enlightenment. He also conveniently mentions a letter by a 14'th century Byzantine Emporer, who by the way had been losing territories to those infidel muslims. The letter vilifies Islam and one of it's prophets. Quite the opposite feel good story he presented about Christianity. Now, I ask, is this sensible and fair?

Byzantine Emperir words were as Pope said:

Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached.

Pope  said  twice the word "I quote"  in order to stress the words were not his and added that violence was incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul.

As I said in my previous post, his  style is certainly very different from Paul but when he speaks said hard historical truths.And we must not forget that this Pope in the previous position  in the Vatican worked hard for better relations with Muslims and Orthodox Church.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 05:36
And we must not forget that this Pope in the previous position  in the Vatican worked hard for better relations with Muslims and Orthodox Church.

In what ways exactly? For I seem to remember that he came from the department of the church which is, for all the changes in name, still the Roman Inquisition. Not the most forgiving and peace making institution...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 05:38
He could have just quoted from the Kuran, which could have been politicaly more correct for him & still conveyed what he really wanted to say.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 06:50
A question to the Muslim people. Does really Quran, Sunna,Hadith or any relative   call  Islamic people to spread faith by war ?

Edited by akritas - 16-Sep-2006 at 06:53
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 07:13
No, but if I remember correctly it does say you can fight if the religious community is attacked. At least Muhammed conceded this to his followers when they came under pressure from their opponents in Arabia.

I do get the impression the Muslims howl at the slightest little mentioning of their faith in a negative context these days, it's one incident after the other, it's growing rather tiresome and I doubt they earn much respect in the world community this way.

Manuel II does have a point too, Muhammed really didn't come up with a lot of new material, it's more like a simplified version of Christian and Jewish beliefs with added rituals.

Of course, concerning the Pope's attitude, it should be remembered that this is the man who also claims listening to the Beatles is sinful.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 07:32

Well I make a research because my knowlenge for Jihad and Quran is a couple books.I found the below quotes as about Quran

[2.191] And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers

[9.5] So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful

[47.4] So when you meet in battle those who disbelieve, then smite the necks until when you have overcome them, then make (them) prisoners, and afterwards either set them free as a favor or let them ransom (themselves) until the war terminates. That (shall be so); and if Allah had pleased He would certainly have exacted what is due from them, but that He may try some of you by means of others; and (as for) those who are slain in the way of Allah, He will by no means allow their deeds to perish.

I think Quran is clearly as about those who disbelieve. Or the English translation is not good

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 08:07
But it also says:
109.001 Say : O ye that reject Faith!
109.002 I worship not that which ye worship,
109.003 Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
109.004 And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship,
109.005 Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
109.006 To you be your Way, and to me mine.

The problem with those holy books (apart from the question if they are true) is that they're terribily inconsequent.

Really, for an atheist like me remarks like "your religion is more violent and mine is more reasonable" are so pathetic.

Pope had spoken in favour of dialogue between religions, which is something that  also support and consider urgent and necessary.

Would be a good idea, but I think it is impossible, as long as all religions rigidly adhere to their own thruth criteriums. Whenever the pope says there is much truth in other religions as well (which he sometimes does), he doesn't mean catholicism can learn from other religions, but that other religions are right only on the points they have in common with catholicism. That's hardly a good base for a dialogue.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 08:22
 I so tire of this endless predictable reaction from Muslims, I don't even care anymore what is said, it's frickin pathetic. We had the cartoons awhile ago, which IMO showed just how backward some people are in this world that they rioted over something so damn trivial. Likethey have nothing better to do with their time.

Must one always watch what he/she says incase the oh so sensitive Muslims get offended? i'm sick to bloody death of it, it's so pathetic.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 08:22

Seperate the faith from the faithful since both religions have had good and bad leaders-followers. Do that and first it is not so important to look at the religoius books for answers, and second such statements/quotes can be understood given certain peroids in certain places. Manuel's quote can be understood in that way, how the quote is used is what can make it offensive.

ive skimmed over the latin patriach's speech , and i dont think his intention was to offend, but i can only guess . Maybe it was insensative at this point in time, and massive disclaimers are most probably needed when such subjects are touched on. (particularly at such a high level within the church). pity though

For people that think his intention was to offened, I ask this question, How do you know his intention?

Muslim's are definatley very sensative and i do think this is also being manipulated and exploited. This should be understood in the enviroment created by the war on terror, war on lebanon, racial profiling in our security, the bad /biased media, internet ...   i can understand why a small misunderstanding can become a big deal so quickly.

now i read two churchs in the west bank get attacked (not even latin churchs) and i bet the attckers dont see the irony of their actions.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 10:54
when will this planet be free from all this popes, priests, mullahs or what else, which are walking on this earth since several millennia and whispering out this poison of belief, war and rescue?
when will this planet be free from leaders, which are using the religions and it's representatives on earth , to implement their viperish thoughts.?
not before those who belive all these promises of an eternal live are still the willing subsidaries of the redeemer.
who cares about the pope ?

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 13:27
The muslim world stands accused of violance and it responds with ... violance.

Edited by bg_turk - 16-Sep-2006 at 13:31
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 13:40
Originally posted by bg_turk

The muslim world stands accused of violance and it responds with ... violance.

Perhaps because these particular individuals are, to simply put it, idiots.

Look at the state of them, have they no lives? Is this the highlight of their week or something, the traditional protest against nothing? There is no other word for it, other than pathetic.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 13:50
Certainly looks rather disgusting. That such individuals share objections by demonstrating through sheer anger. That type of reaction is not the way to protest in my opinion. Yet there are a bunch of people that react with emotion instead of reason.

Extremists aside, if the Pope (who has a history of bias against Islam) really wants to have dialogue with muslims he would be better off not to incite the easily exciteable. But show sensitivity and genuine desire for open discussions with a little more tact.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 17:33
I'll just add that the quotes from the Quran supplied by akritas should not be read out of their context, nuances are everything here. Islam does not legitimize aggression, as in drawing first blood, in the name of the faith. Still, it remains more open to violence than say, Christianity or Buddhism. This probably has to do with the political context in which Islam arose, and how Muhammed was forced to relate to it in a way that was necessary if his religious community should survice. Meaning that even though Muhammed initially favoured a non-violence approach, he later discovered this wasn't possible and conceded the right to fight in certain situations. Of course this was exploited by political leaders during the Arab conquests following Muhammed's death in ways which he might not have approven of, so one should be careful with completely equalizing Islam with the Arab conquests.

At least that's what I think, I know it is quite easy to turn this the other way.

Edited by Reginmund - 16-Sep-2006 at 17:34
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 19:58
Another link to the speech, for those who don't like PDFs

http://zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=94748
Arrrgh!!"
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 20:55
For I seem to remember that he came from the department of the church which is, for all the changes in name, still the Roman Inquisition. Not the most forgiving and peace making institution...

Oh come on the Inquisition is not the History of the World evil priests torturing poor unfortunates. The inquisition is a means to deal with catholics who have been found to be out of touch with catholic teaching. Also, the means to get them back in touch with catholic teaching was to instruct them like a religion class and then if they refused to believe it then they were removed from the church (not sure on that though). It was the secular authorities that gave out the punishments never the catholic church. In fact the reason the spanish inquisition had so many people in it was because the inquisition prisons were much better than the spanish civil prisons and criminals would say something heretical to end up there.

He could have just quoted from the Kuran, which could have been politicaly more correct for him & still conveyed what he really wanted to say.
The catholic church as a heiarchy tends to show a preference for not going with political correctness but with saying things that strenghthen their own political position in the world.

Extremists aside, if the Pope (who has a history of bias against Islam) really wants to have dialogue with muslims he would be better off not to incite the easily exciteable. But show sensitivity and genuine desire for open discussions with a little more tact.

From what I understand this Pope is more of an intellectual type and wants to bring up the concept of what is jihad rather than the reality of past or presently occuring jihads.

Would be a good idea, but I think it is impossible, as long as all religions rigidly adhere to their own thruth criteriums. Whenever the pope says there is much truth in other religions as well (which he sometimes does), he doesn't mean catholicism can learn from other religions, but that other religions are right only on the points they have in common with catholicism. That's hardly a good base for a dialogue.

Of course he's the Pope he's God's representative on earth, which makes him right. I know that's lame so let me explain. Most of the major dogmatic beliefs in the Catholic Church are so vague that it is quite easy to logically alter them into saying that this was Catholic teaching all along. Pope's have used it in the past to make it possible for catholics to believe in evolutionary theory. Dialogue is made possible because the Church as an entity is always striving for the revealed truth and as such God's revealations can come as compromises between different churches. In the end though you are correct the Catholic church sees itself as the one true church and any dialogue is done with the explicit purpose of making someone Catholic. Though the evolution of the church can and has occured.

Edited by JanusRook - 16-Sep-2006 at 21:04
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 23:00
What really bothers me about Muslims is that I never hear about any outrage when a popular Cleric allows the deaths of people or calls for violence. Where's the outrage across the world like we see in the above pictures?
Just a couple months ago a Cleric gave Bin Laden some kind of official Islamic permission to kill 10,000 Americans civilians. He actually put a limit on the amount of lives he's allowed to take! I believe this Cleric is from Egypt.

But why not call for him to resign from his post for giving a image of violence to a Religion thats supposed to be of love and peace? If getting upset about offencesive images and hearing someone calling your religion violent is enough to make a violent responce; why isn't it the same when someone in Islam who remains in the public eye and not hiding like the terrorist, makes those images seem true?

Other then that, I like how Muslims believe in advancing civilization instead of staying in stagnation. Or atleast reading the forums thats the image I get.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>