Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pope's gaffe?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pope's gaffe?
    Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 13:02
      I suppose the Pope's latest speech in Bavaria deserves to be discussed. Let's keep it decent.

PARIS (AFP) -   Pope Benedict XVI was facing sharp reactions to a lecture in which he linked Islam with violence, with Muslim leaders in several countries demanding he apologise.

"We hope that the Church will very quickly... clarify its position so that it does not confuse Islam, which is a revealed religion, with Islamism, which is not a religion but a political ideology," the head of the French Council for the Muslim Religion (CFCM), Dalil Boubakeur, told AFP Thursday.

Benedict provoked the outcry with comments on Tuesday in a theological lecture to staff and students at the University of Regensburg, in the most political part of a largely personal visit to his native Bavaria in southern Germany.

Couching his criticism in a historical reference to a 14th century Byzantine emperor, the pope implicitly denounced connections between Islam and violence, particularly with regard to jihad, or "holy war".

"He said, I quote, 'Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached,'" Benedict said, quoting the Byzantine source on the Prophet Mohammed, founder of the Muslim faith.

The comments provoked an outcry among Muslims in several countries...

Looks like the Pope should join AE for a lesson on proper protocol and the art of identifying misnomers versus bigotry.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060914/wl_afp/vaticanpopeislam_060914160443
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 15:23
Is he related to Prince Phillip?
Arrrgh!!"
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 18:11
THe Pope is too good for anything over here. Seriously he is too good for almost anything in the world
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 21:00

I knew he was kind of old fashioned, but who knew he would try to get the Crusades started again?

Edited by Genghis - 14-Sep-2006 at 21:01
Member of IAEA
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 00:42
He served in the army. I think he must be the first pope for 1500 years to have seen action.

Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 00:44

Youd think these Muslims would be more worried about those using Islam for perverted things.such as cutting peoples heads off and blowing them selves up in restaurants and supermarkets.

I wonder why people are so afraid of words

The Muslim world needs to grow up. They are acting like children over words that a Pope was merely quoting.

Im sorry to say it, but it seems the Muslim world as a majority demands unconditional respect. Respect is something the Muslim world thrives off of. In other words, the Muslim world actually cares what some Church leader says about their religion (in this case did he actually say something?)

I also like how Muslims are quick to point out the crusadesnever mind that 300 years before the Crusades Muslims invaded Spain, France, Italy, the Byzantium Empire ect and that never received any condemnation from the the west. Why? Because we for the most part recognize it is history and it is not worth opening old wounds. This is the 21st century. I think the Muslim world needs update their calendars by 1000 years.

The Crusades are over. The Muslims won. Why is this such a big deal?

Without the crusadeswho would Saladin be?

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 10:10
Loknar, why does the western world broadcast  al qaeda tapes that calls for its destruction 'like doom is around the corner and we need to fight this terror'?
(though honestly they dont get taken as seroiusly like they use to)

... sorry difference is al qaeda represent a tincy-wincy %  of the muslim world and the patriach in rome the largest and most powerful (schismastic) church.

BTW is there any context on that quote?  context is the key before i judge
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 10:18
I agree, context is necessary for this quote. Still, the Vatican now claims that the quote was not intended to insult muslims. Perhaps it is me, but I reallt really cannot think of any context in which this quote could possibly not be insulting.

The man literally said: Mohammed never brought the world any good, only death and destruction. That is just insulting!

That being said, I do think some muslims tend to overreact. I saw images on the telly of groeps of angry shouting people burning popelike scarecrows. They should not do that, it makes the whole muslim world look bad. If someone would say this about jesus, you would not get riots in the street, I bet.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 11:24
I think oecumenism must have limits. If the CEO of Coca Cola was saying Pespi taste like sh*te, use child workers and has only brought to the world obesity and rotten teeth, nobody would think there is any problem.

Why the hell when the pope is saying "we're better and the other one is worse" every body screams? Besides one must realize that if somebody must feel threaten here it is the Pope himself. What is going on with catholicism nowadays? Protestant, atheist and muslim are progressing nobody wants to be a priest any longer they are all dying out. We must get used to a Pope fighting back for his life.

Incidently I'm quite close to agree with him yet I'd argue Jesus didn't do much better. I mean both have a pretty bad record even if personally they must have been good fellows.
I am a free donkey!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 11:54
IF a CEO of Coca Cola said those things and publicly announced a connection to obesity and child labor then I would think that CEO is detrimental to his company and would need to be released from his position. Surely we know that Coke has enough sugar to rot teeth and cause weight gain, but we don't hear their leader broadcasting it to the world. Imagine the public concern this would bring.

Muslims could use a better public image no doubt, and are mostly responsible themselves. It doesn't help when the leader of a large organized religion makes antagonizing statements in a politically charged and polarized world though.

Edited by Seko - 15-Sep-2006 at 11:55
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 11:58
paraphrasing or quoting another so to show what  bad logic or thought sounds like would be context that is not offensive. I'm a little bit skeptical, beuase of the way the cartoon thing was spread, and that if it is true that would be MASSIVE.Angry

lets not jump at shadows, but i'm in no way defending that preist.

Edited by Leonidas - 15-Sep-2006 at 12:04
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 13:32
Ofcourse people in the Muslim world seem to be overacting.

I think this is precisely, because they place a high value on the Pope for the fact that he is the head of Vatican. So these Muslims, who overact, think that his view will effect the whole Christian World.. This is where fellow Muslims fail.. The Vatican itself is not taken  very seriously by the most of fellow Christians.

Personally I do not take serious someone when he speaks on a subject ignorantly..here,in this case, Benedict also seems to be ignorant on the philosophy of Muhammad. If he wasnt, he would quote Muhammad himself  not an emperor who lived 700 years later than him.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 13:55

I lost the original post so this one is a bit more decent Seko.

I find myself asking again and again what was the purpose of his speech. It is no good to say he was quoting, because he is a coward who does not have the courage to say himself what he feels. We have all quoted and we all know what it means to quote. It would be another thing if he said what he said and quoted in support of his viewpoint.

Loknar

If some cleric issued a fatwa for your head u would be scared of his words too. So IF i called u an a****** then u wouldn't be offended, its only words, right!. Something tells me u wont be as grown up as u want others to be.

The pope is either ignorant of history, other people's sentiments, stupid, or all the these things. I personally think he is neither of these things and knew fully what he was doing. Maybe he thinks that the catholic church is lagging behind the evangelical ones. I think the Imam of the Kaaba(is there such a thing?) should come up with a couple of comments of his own and then we can all live happily everafter.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 14:20
a conflict will feed both islam and christianity. So maybe his aim was some food for christianity.
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 15:04
What I don't understand is that while Vatican decides to "overuse" its "freedom of speech" during wrong times on sensitive issues against over sensitive people, you can see no true Muslim, Hindu, or Confician authorities which is interested in stating any provocative words against any other religion.

The West (Catholic world) should become aware of how religious figures may still (in 21st century as Loknar enlightened us) cause huge conflicts and they'll continue this until the day they're all out of service. So maybe we aren't the best example for many westerners, but West still can't get rid of any religious authorities (with political influence and authority) like we abolished them in our country  72 years ago. They still have much way to go in the procedure of secularization.

Edited by Bashibozuk - 15-Sep-2006 at 15:06
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 15:08
Well Infact bin laden is not leader of islam, but pope is.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 16:53

As Greek this Pope make some quotes that historical the previous Saint Fathers was very difficult to said.

Like these two

Thus, despite the bitter conflict with those Hellenistic rulers who sought to accommodate it forcibly to the customs and idolatrous cult of the GREEKS, biblical faith, in the Hellenistic period, encountered the best of Greek thought at a deep level, resulting in a mutual enrichment evident especially in the later wisdom literature. Today we know that the GREEK translation of the Old Testament produced at Alexandria - the Septuagint - is more than a simple (and in that sense really less than satisfactory) translation of the Hebrew text:
it is an independent textual witness and a distinct and important step in the history of revelation, one which brought about this encounter in a way that was decisive for the birth and spread of Christianity. A profound encounter of faith and reason is taking place here, an encounter between genuine enlightenment and religion.
From the very heart of Christian faith and, at the same time, the heart of GREEK  thought now joined to faith, Manuel II was able to say: Not to act "with logos" is contrary to God's nature

=========================================================

The encounter between the Biblical message and GREEK thought did not happen by chance. The vision of Saint Paul, who saw the roads to Asia barred and in a dream saw a Macedonian man plead with him:
"Come over to Macedonia and help us!" (cf. Acts 16:6-10) - this vision can be interpreted as a "distillation" of the intrinsic necessity of a rapprochement between Biblical faith and GREEK inquiry.

================================================================

In my opinion we must be more carefully as about the reactions against in this Pope.He speaks and mention some historical truths that I know is very hard to accept them.When a Catholic Pope speak  for  Christianism and Greek philosophy when the Greek Orthodoxe Church is very severe   in this issue then we must see the forest and not the tree.The same goes to the Muslim-Christian relationships.

Below you can  the all speech

Edited by akritas - 15-Sep-2006 at 16:56
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 17:41
Originally posted by Sparten

He served in the army. I think he must be the first pope for 1500 years to have seen action.

More like 500 IIRC, at the very least. Pope's leading their own armies has not been all that unusual.

I wonder how Benedict's PR will handle this one.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 17:45
Glad to have his full script.

Now onto a few issues. The Pope seems to stress the importance of faith, inquiry and Godliness. He presents a transforming epic of certain aspects of Greek religious history. The virtues of faith and reason/enlightenment. He also conveniently mentions a letter by a 14'th century Byzantine Emporer, who by the way had been losing territories to those infidel muslims. The letter vilifies Islam and one of it's prophets. Quite the opposite feel good story he presented about Christianity. Now, I ask, is this sensible and fair?
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 19:00

Let me narrate u a fable:

There was once a hunter out on an expedition on his horse closely followed by his donkey for carrying provisions and the quarry. He kills a few lions skins them and loads the skins onto his donkey, he travels a little further when all of a sudden he falls prey to a lion's ferocious leaping attack and succumbs. The horse flees with fright and the donkey buckles in a separate direction. hopelessly lost he wanders through the forest till he finds that all animals flee before him with fright. He later realizes that this is due to the appearance of the lion he has taken thanks to the skins. After years serving as the beast of burden he basks in this new found glory strutting where ever he goes feeling as the king of the Jungle would. A little further he come across a pride of lions, considering himself now as one of them he opts to go and say hello.

His hello gets the kind of reception that a lion gives to a donkey, and alas the donkey is no more.

Moral of the story is that we know a donkey when we hear one.

The pope is very subtle in his underhanded way in which he equates the islamic religion sanctioning holywar as the tool for conversion to Islam, period. I dont have a problem with the view he holds. But it is the way he has shrouded his views as part of historical interpretation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>