Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslims and the Caste System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslims and the Caste System
    Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 13:17
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

^Actually you're missing the point Maqsad. A Rajput Punjabi Sunni Muslim is not a caste. A Rajput Punjabi Sunni Muslim can be president of Pakistan (like Bhutto), just as a Pathan can be president of Pakistan (like Yahya Khan). But if you're an untouchable in India, you will never be prime minister of India. This is what the caste system is..a social status. Even in your links you refer to an apartheid system whereby one group of people is SOCIALLY  SUPERIOR to another group. This is not the same as ethnic identity where all people are of the same social standing.

Right, but can an ahmadi be president of pakistan? Can he even get credit in his own country for being the only person from a muslim country to win the nobel prize in physics?
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 13:39

Even Ahmadis do get official recognition in Pakistan (though I will admit they do get some discrimination on account that they are considered heretic).

The Nobel Physics Prize winner in fact was made head of SUPARCO and made science advisor to Pakistan's presidents before his move to Italy.

Another famous Ahmdiya is MM (Mirza Muzaffer)f Ahmad, the former chief secretary of Pakistan. So yes, they do not have a fixed social status either within Pakistan. The only people that have a caste system in Pakistan are Hindus, and most of these are Dalits.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 10-Dec-2006 at 13:42
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 16:53
My point is old castes were demolished in the paki revolution[islam if you want to call it that]....but due to human nature castism was not eliminated from the human psyche. New castes have been created under different names and guises. Human nature is hard to change.
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 16:55
There were no castes in Pakistan before Islamic times..Unless you can show some evidence that there was.
maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 17:14
Pushing asides the shifts to buddhism in pakistan's history there must also have been periods in Pakistan's pre-islamic history when brahmanic hinduism was the state religion for various city states and the social system for various tribes. Do I really have to prove that?
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 17:30
"Brahmanical Hinduism" originated in the Ganges, not from Pakistan. If you read the Mahabharata there's proof of this, and depending on when you think it was written, proof that Pakistan did not follow the caste system historically.

The only period left really is between 0AD and 12 AD, and I think yu'd find that this was after the Maurya Period under which a lot of Pakistan became Buddhist. The leftovers were Vedic I assume mixed with some Hindus that converted when Pakistan was ruled by Indian invaders. I have not seen any evidence the society in Pakistan ever used a caste system, just assumptions that if it was ruled by a Hindu king, society must be Hindu. In fact, the society in Pakistan was always hostile to Hindu rule for this very reason.

maqsad View Drop Down
General
General

Quote maqsad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 18:55
I do not deny that the culture, the personality and the nature of pakistani peoples is against the ruthlessness of the mainstream brahmanic caste system but I do suspect a less vicious form of castism did occur in pakistan. No sources or links but now that it has piqued my curiosity I have made a mental note to be on the lookout. I'm going to see if I can come up with something in the next few days.
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 04:31
About English "casrte system", I have indirectly inferred as follows:

"Caste" is the word, coined / cast by the Portuguese from the word "casta" in Indian context. But, such "caste" has been there in every society, otherwise conceived, perceived and stratified as denominations, ethnicity, ethnos, class, creed, and so on.

As the word "race" should not be used, I have not used it.

That "caste" form of divide, differentiation, or any such variance, has been there in every society and that is why "certain group of people" are treated by "other group" differently in social interactions, gatherings and other occassions.
sayak View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 12:08
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

^Actually you're missing the point Maqsad. A Rajput Punjabi Sunni Muslim is not a caste. A Rajput Punjabi Sunni Muslim can be president of Pakistan (like Bhutto), just as a Pathan can be president of Pakistan (like Yahya Khan). But if you're an untouchable in India, you will never be prime minister of India. This is what the caste system is..a social status. Even in your links you refer to an apartheid system whereby one group of people is SOCIALLY  SUPERIOR to another group. This is not the same as ethnic identity where all people are of the same social standing.

an untouchable can easily be the prime minister. most of the politics in india is caste based. in north india parties representing lower castes like samajwadi or bahujansamajwadi party have considerable power. congress is strongest in south india and hence the majority of its elected members come from lower classes: indeed most parties of southern india are so. only 20% of india is upper caste-do not think this fact is not reflected in the indian parliament.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 12:28
There caste system in pakistan in not the same as in  india.
In india it is a part of hindu religion.The correct way to desribe the caste system in pakistan would be the clan system. 
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 12:07
Originally posted by sayak

an untouchable can easily be the prime minister. most of the politics in india is caste based. in north india parties representing lower castes like samajwadi or bahujansamajwadi party have considerable power. congress is strongest in south india and hence the majority of its elected members come from lower classes: indeed most parties of southern india are so. only 20% of india is upper caste-do not think this fact is not reflected in the indian parliament.

LOL!! That was a funny one SmileTongue Untouchables can be prime minister of India and leaders.. Oh really. Can you name one untouchable prime minister or president of India, you can use the entire history of the country if you like. India's parliament is predominantly upper caste and does not reflect the 20% upper caste or however much in Indian society.

Edited by TeldeInduz - 02-Jan-2007 at 12:08
sayak View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sayak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 21:35
deve gowda?
AP Singh View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote AP Singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 02:20
There is no untouchable in the present day India and hence there is no question of untouchable becoming prime minister of India. This social evil was put to death by Mahatma Gandhi forever a long back.
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 03:34
Originally posted by sayak

deve gowda?

How is Deve Gowada an Untouchable when his family were all farmers. The Untouchables are barely allowed to handle the faeces of the upper castes let alone their food.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345