Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who will set up the first colony on the moon?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: it won’t happen in 50 yrs but it will happen.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [73.08%]
6 [23.08%]
1 [3.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who will set up the first colony on the moon?
    Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 17:36
Arn't they developing a satellite type thing that'll drop lil lead or metal rods on the earth?  
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 19:18

No one will colonize the moon unles soem resource is discovered, fiscal incentives are the only reason for colonization.  But if by some chance someone sets up a colony Im betting the Japanese, because their stuff doesnt break as much as the Europeans, and they have alot more to spend then the Americans for example the US up until recently pretty much paid the Japanese defense budget.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 21:06
The moon has lots of He3
Arrrgh!!"
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 04:46
Originally posted by Cywr

The moon has lots of He3

and i've heard that it is a very good power source and can also be used on long space missions

Edited by Anujkhamar
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 20:37

Originally posted by Anujkhamar

The moon has lots of He3

and i've heard that it is a very good power source and can also be used on long space missions

Yeah, it's a reagent for one type of nuclear fusion I believe.

Member of IAEA
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 15:18

Forget Government-funded programs.

private enterprises will be the first to establish settlement in the Moon.

case in point, Space Galantica, a space travel company created by billionaire Richard Branson, successfully launched manned space flights to space, 2 flights in 5 days.  http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Commercial+space+travel+to+tak e+flight/2100-1026_3-5384350.html

• currently, no Government can do that.

Edited by imok
pytheas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote pytheas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2004 at 02:53
China is not afraid of their own proverbial shadow, they have more political motivation to push sush plans forward...The U.S. is second guessing itself and will need to get back on the horse (ie: develop a new propulsion system, and transport unit) quickly.
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 06:40
Latest Delta/Atlas rocket systems will cover US's orbital transfer problem, cheaper than the shuttle too, ironicly.
Arrrgh!!"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 09:31

well  they are checking if there is water on Mars

so i guess the moon is the secound option.

Mars first

( my opinion is to spend all these Billions on the poverty in the US itself instead wasting it on some useless missions to Mars to check if there WAS water or not)

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 09:53
I think the first sellenites will be US Americans...

Edited by Infidel
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
chessrook1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 01:47

Neither, if you meant a setting up territorial colonies like our ancestors did in other parts of the world in the past. I remember reading awhile back when I was a kid that theres some kind of treaty signed by various nations that prohibit territorial claims on heavenly bodies as a nation. However, I think we can send space stations or scientific stations on the planets like in antartica to study, terraform, mine for resources, and help individuals colonize the moon and the mars. But the moon has no atmosphere and the atmosphere on Mars is thin to prevent heavy radiation from hitting the surface like our atmosphere does. Think Schwarzeneggers move "Total Recall". There are gullible individuals that have bought land plots on the Moon from some guy but I think hes a crackpot and scam artist. If its scientifically possible to terraform the moon and mars to look like earth, it could take centuries for the change to happen. Too late for current "owners" to make any use of their newly bought celestial plots.

Edited by chessrook1
chessrook1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 02:13

BTW, they already discovered hundreds of new solar systems in other parts of the galaxy, some of them orbit their sun/s in strange way, stranger than ours. But most of them are Jupiter size planets. Its too hard for us yet to find small earth like blue planets. Check this website out for new solar systems listings.

http://www.obspm.fr/encycl/catalog.html

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/solarsys/forming.htm l

http://outreach.jach.hawaii.edu/pressroom/1998_vega/

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 10:01
And shall that star-spangled banner yet wave o'er the land of the moon?
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2004 at 11:01

i voted for usa

True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Benceno View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Benceno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 19:55
If we do not destroy ourselves before, I would say that China has a good chance, and the US if they give money to the NASA like in the Apollo days.
If Russia wouldn't be bankrupt maybe them too.
Hola.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 18:42
Originally posted by Tobodai

But if by some chance someone sets up a colony Im betting the Japanese, because their stuff doesnt break as much as the Europeans,

Are you sure? did yoi foget the HIIA fiasco, or the mars probe that got lost in outer space?

I would not certainly understimate Jaxa, Hayabuse is a splendid concept, but I'd say that if a first world space agency recently had big problems with defective equipment, that is the Japanese one.

As to the topic question, I too would say it will probably be a multinational effort, with NASA and ESA as main players, but a lot of space for other agencies (Japanese, Rusian, Chinese and even others, like the Indians, for instance, or even the Ukrainians)

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 18:55

Latest Delta/Atlas rocket systems will cover US's orbital transfer problem, cheaper than the shuttle too, ironicly.

Pretty much everything conceivable is cheaper than a Shuttle - a splendid concept, this latter, but probably far ahead of time. Why do you think Russians and French/Europeans aborted their Shuttle-like programs (Buran and Hermes, respectively)?

Probably, next century some economically competitive shuttle-like crafts will fly. For the meantime, expendable launchers seem the most sensible solution.

However, the American EELV's you mention are still quite more expensicve then their international competition, like the European Ariane 5 or the Rusian Proton, just to mention the heavvy class. In fact, Boeing renounced to compete in the civilian market with its Delta 4, and just counts on military orders (however, Boeing is part of the multinational sea-launch corporation, which is competitive with its Russo-Ukrainian rockets). Lokheed-Martin is traying to compete in the free market with its Atlas 5 . . . by having large parts of it built abroad, mainly in ex-Sovietic countries.

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 18:58

Oh, the horrible spell of my previous post!

How can one run the spell checker here? I have been able no more after the forum change because of the pro-boards affair.

Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 22:41
I say no one.We as humans do not deserve to set up colony on the moon,or mars,or the ocean,or anywhere else.When it is our time to go,I say,yes,it is our time.Excuse me for my opinion,if it offends anyone.

In Honor
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2013 at 10:02
What for?Our survival on Earth is mystery,our survival on Moon&Mars is impossible...Radiation will kill us all
.We have to learn how to create artificial Life Boats in space.Landing&Launching ships are waste of time and
energy!First steps of baby:Artificial gravity and magnetic field!Big smileIndustrial zone for future space missions we can create in Low Earth Orbit also...Do not waste time for new hot water inventions!Invent space power
plant that can gives us energy far away from Stars.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>