Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origins of the name "Istanbul"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origins of the name "Istanbul"
    Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 05:20
...maternal-organisational-civilisational lovely spark-sincerity-truth.FFF.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2014 at 13:10
Welcome aboard Antonia!Your participation here,your knowledge of Greek&Latin,we salute of course!Smile
Antonis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Antonis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2014 at 12:18
Ehm, I will take the final post as a serious question and anwer. The "t" in those two words comes from two different words of the greek language. 
Istanbul= Is(to) + tan(the)[tan is the Accusative of the female article "tin"] + bul(polis,as you correctly said).
Sevastopol= Sevasti (respected) + pol(is).

Source of knowledge: Being GreekSmile and studying Greek and Latin History in University, where Byzantine History is a part of the corpus, albeit a small one.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2014 at 12:25
İstanbul reminds me Sevastopol

blue parts came from word "polis"  but "t" ???

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2014 at 08:43
...maternal lovely spark-sincerity-verity.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2013 at 13:46
First presence is embelished by maternal lovely spark.
First presence embelishes maternal lovely spark.Final Final form...Big smile
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 10:01
Istanbul=The First Her presence beauties maternal,love and spark!Final form.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 19:29
Istanbul might even be Islampol or "city of Islam"
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2012 at 11:31
ISLaM=First Her presence wings interior!Big smile
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2012 at 13:55
Many a culture had thought they carry civilization to the word, such thinking is nothing new or surprising, which doesn't make it objectively true.

Linguistically, the word "Islam" may really be part of the word "Istan-bul":
"... Turk. name of Constantinople, a corruption of Gk. phrase eis tan (ten) polin "into the city," which is how the local Gk. population referred to it. Picked up in Turkish 16c., though Turk. folk etymology traces the name to Islam bol "plenty of Islam." Gk. polis "city".."http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/istanbul
han View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2012 at 10:31
I am really puzzle when I was reading that's comment because there are so many wrong information about the istanbul and turkish people . the firstly I would like to clarify what is meaning of the istanbul. ottoman empire was leadership of the islam civilisation and after the ottoman conquer to constantinople , they called the istanbul instead of constantinople . why did they call the istanbul , what is the meaning of the istanbul . meaning of the istanbul is magnificent islam in the this city etc. and also the turkish people carried whole of the centurys civilisation to world . that 's why  most of the leadership said so many captivating say to turkish....
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2012 at 10:54
The First Her presence beauties mother's love and spark/sparks!I still have not solved one syllable over basic  five syllables structure!But differences do not influence content of sentence!Is it spark or sparks?Will see further from words i have received in forum.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2012 at 16:07
From The First Her presence,mother's beauty,kisses spark!Goddess of Earth kisses sun light here from the very beginning as it looks!At least i am logical."IST" structure is very new for me but will solve it.ALL changes will
be published here.It is NaDeNaJVe,world wide known as Danayans,"people of Troy"...We say ISTOK/O for East side of the world!Word speaks about Sun's shelter!

Edited by medenaywe - 16-Jan-2012 at 11:45
shayan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote shayan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 10:50
I didnt know that Istanbul is a persian word but it makes kinda sense actually... Intan being land and bul=bol which is pronounced pol in modern persian.... hihi baghdad and Iraq are also persian words,,, so is syria (suri ye) and astana :O 

Edited by shayan - 10-Oct-2006 at 10:52
Iran parast
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 08:08
Still arguing over this? jeeeez this has already been debated over and over again.

Istanbul was called so many names,

Neu Roma, Micklegard, Tsargrad, Costa, Kushta, Astana, Pay-i-Taht, Islambol, Konstantinniye and so on, all these names were used by different people. The Ottomans used, Islambol, Konstantinniye, Astana.

The theory that Fatih the Conquerer heard a few Greeks saying IN TO THE CITY and named it after this is laughably ridiculous, he did know the name of the city he was invading guys I mean come on     

Istanbul
Islambul

Another likely explanation, being its a Persian word, Land Bridge you know it connects Asia to Europe.

Oh and by the way, there were no "Greeks" in those times, there were "Rum"-"Romans", that's how the people saw themselves at the time, if they called themselves Greek, the Turks would have called them Greek.

Still Turks call Christian people like Greeks, Venetians, Geneoese in Western Turkey "Rum" only Greeks in Greece are called "Yunan".

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Ellin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Ellin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 07:42
The city was known as Islambol, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise how logical it is for it to have such a name.

Why was it changed?

Umm, there was a revolution, the Ottoman Establishment overthrown, the old capitol was moved and to weaken its power and get away from it being the centre of the Capiphate aswell as to secularise, the name Istanbul was adopted.

Did a similar thing happen in Kos?

Similar examples of modern Turkish placenames derived from Greek in 
this fashion are Izmit, earlier Iznikmit, from Greek Nicomedia, Iznik from
Greek Nicaea ([iz nikea]), Samsun (s'Amison = "se + Amisos"), and
Istanky for the Greek island Kos (from is tin Ko).
The occurrence of the initial i- in these names may partly reflect the old Greek form
with is-, or it may partly be an effect of secondary epenthesis due to the
phonotactic structure of Turkish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istanbul_%28etymology%29

or maybe that too was Islamkoy!

Celestial View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Celestial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 20:05
Byzantium in Roman times.

Constantinople in Byzantine times.

Konstantaniyya in Ottoman times.

Stin poli(Istanbul) in Greek which means into the city in modern day.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 10:41
everyone is Greek and think that is something else

xexexe
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 06:29
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

Originally posted by The Hidden Face

'Greeks are Turks who think they are Italians'
Hidden, did somebody hack your account?WinkTongue

haha Smile

'Turks are Arabs who think they are Greeks.'

Wink
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 01:26
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

'Greeks are Turks who think they are Italians'
Hidden, did somebody hack your account?WinkTongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>