Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Today in Womens History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Today in Womens History
    Posted: 09-May-2007 at 14:36
Women's History - May 8th

1914 - Today, Mothers Day was declared a national holiday in the U.S. by President Woodrow Wilson. This holiday went from a day for peace to a sentimental and commercial holiday, but is still observed in appreciation and in honor of all mothers.

Source: http://mothers-day.123holiday.net/
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 14:37
Women's History - May 9th

1928 - Today, Barbara Ann Scott was born in Ottawa, Canada. She went on to become an Olympic gold medalist for figure skating in the 1948 winter Olympics. She was known as Canadas sweetheart . She was also the first citizen of a non-European nation to win a world championship in skating in 1947.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Ann_Scott

"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 14:37
Women's History - May 10th

1919 - Today, Ella Grasso was born in Windsor Locks, Connecticut (of Italian immigrant parents). She was a woman of many firsts. She went on to become the first woman in the United States to be elected as a state governor (of Connecticut) in her own right, and not as her husbands successor. She served in the U.S. Congress and in several other offices as well as follows: She became the first woman elected as Floor Leader of the House in 1955; she was elected Secretary of State of Connecticut (and re-elected ); she was the first woman to chair the Democratic State Platform Committee; and she was co-chairperson of the Resolutions Committee for the 1964 and 1968 Democratic National Conventions.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ella_Grasso

"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 13:35
Women's History - May 11th

1896 - Today, Mari Sandoz was born in Sheridan County (near Hay Springs), Nebraska to Swiss immigrant parents. She went on to become a writer, historian, lecturer and teacher. She was primarily known for her writings and authority on the Plains Indians series. These series stand as her central achievement due to its singular interpretation of the High Plains region from the stone age period to the 20th century. Her series left us with a richer appreciation of our past and a clearer vision of our future. She was subsequently inducted into the Nebraska Hall of Fame. Here are the titles of some of the series: The Battle of Little Big Horn; The Buffalo Hunters; The Cattlemen; Love Songs to the Plains; The Beaver Men; Cheyenne Autumn; Foal of Heaven; The Great Council; Hostiles and Friendlies, etc. etc. etc.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari_Sandoz

"Morty

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 15:35
Well, it seems like this Women's History thread, which I began on May 12th, 2006, has now gone full circle. The last post was May 11th, 2007 - a full year of posting about intelligent, strong and resourceful women, whose contribution have made a significant difference in the way that women and women's causes are viewed today.

I hope you have all enjoyed it and it was my pleasure to have brought enlightenment and awareness of women's causes to all of you here.

"Morty

Easternknight View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 18:03
thanks for the thread it was very helpful :)
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 06:28
Thank you Morticia, for this thread, and your devotion to it... I have enjoyed your updates to the history of Great Women a lot... Big%20smile Do you have plans for a sucessor to this thread?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 06:33
Yes, well done Morticia - this thread is an excellent, to-the-point resource. This particular post came in very useful in the last total quiz: Smile
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11712&PID=299986#299986
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 14:13
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Thank you Morticia, for this thread, and your devotion to it... I have enjoyed your updates to the history of Great Women a lot... Big%20smileDo you have plans for a sucessor to this thread?

Thank you for your kind words, Aelfgifu. I'm planning to write about ALL influential women and women's awareness issues as they become available. There are sooooooo many outstanding women who have contributed to the causes afflicting women today and throughout history. But, I'm always open to any suggestions you and all others may have!

Thank you Easternight and Knight and I'm glad you enjoyed it. The pleasure was all mine!

Edited by morticia - 21-May-2007 at 14:15
"Morty

Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 03:50
May 12th

1820 - Florence Nightingale was born today - pioneer of nursing

1907 - Katherine Hepburn born - actress
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 05:41

May 13th

1923 - Bea Arthur born - best known for her character of "Maude" and her role in the "Golden Girls"

1940 - Exile of Wilhelmina I of the Netherlands when Germany captures Holland
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 05:45
May 14th

1643 - Anne of Austria is appointed to the Regency Council which will rule France during the minority of Anne's son, King Louis XIV.

Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 06:06
May 15th

1536 - Anne Boleyn, second wife of King Henry VIII is found guilty of treason and condemned to death.

1567 - Mary Queen of Scots marries James Hepburn, Earl of Bothwell, at the Great Hall of Holyrood.

May 16th

1727 - Death of Catherine I, Tsarina / Empress of Russia - she was 44yo and was succeeded by her son Peter.

1770 - Marie Antionette marries the French dauphin, who will become King Louis XIV of France.

May 17th

1547 - Annulment of the marriage of Catherine of Aragon and King Henry VIII is heard in an ecclesiastical court.

May 18th

1538 - Marriage of Mary of Guise to King James V of Scotland in Notre Dame Cathedral

May 19th

1536 - Execution of Anne Boleyn - she is beheaded on Tower Green by a swordsman brought in from France.

1714 - Succession of Queen Anne of Great Britain.

Edited by Melisende - 01-Jul-2007 at 06:13
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 06:11
May 20th

1789 - Dolley Madison (Dorothea Payne Todd Madison) born - First Lady 1809-1817, wife of James Madison, fourth President of the United States.

Dolley Payne Todd Madison - First Ladies of the USA Series
Dolly Madison - Wikipedia

1882 - Sigrid Undset  born - Norwegian Novelist and winner of Noble Prize for Literature (1928)

Edited by Melisende - 01-Jul-2007 at 06:32
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 10:48
Goodbye to Liz Claiborne!

June 27th, 2007 - Liz Claiborne (world recognized fashion designer) dies at the age of 78

Liz Claiborne (nee Anne Elisabeth Jane Claiborne) was born on March 31st, 1929 in Brussels to a banker father and a homemaker mother. Claiborne was a direct descendant of the first governor of Louisiana (USA), William C.C. Claiborne. At age 18, Liz Claiborne entered a design contest in the magazine, Harpers Bazaar, and won.   She went on to become an icon in the fashion world, and spoke about the lack of opportunities for women to achieve equality in the work field. She built a designing empire, selling everything from earrings, necklaces, clothes, shoes to perfumes. May she rest in peace!

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Claiborne

Liz Claiborne

Edited by morticia - 03-Jul-2007 at 10:52
"Morty

Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 05:48
July 11th 2007

Former First Lady Lady Bird Johnson died aged 94yo.

"Lady Bird Johnson, the former first lady who championed conservation and worked tenaciously for the political career of her husband, former President Lyndon B. Johnson, died Wednesday, a family spokeswoman said. She was 94.

Lady Bird Johnson returned home late last month after a week at Seton Medical Center, where she'd been admitted for a low-grade fever. Her husband died in 1973.

She died at her Austin home of natural causes about 4:18 p.m. CDT, said Elizabeth Christian, the spokeswoman. She said she was surrounded by family and friends.

She was hospitalized with a stroke in 2002 that left her with difficulty speaking. But even after that she continued to make public appearances and in May attended an event at the LBJ Library and Museum featuring historian Robert Dallek."

(Source: History News Network)

Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 06:36

July 13th 1908 - Women compete in the modern Olympics for the First time.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 14:10
Women's History

On July 21st, 2007, 72-year-old Pratibha Patil (a lawyer) became the first female president of India. This is a huge milestone for the women of India and she won nearly 2/3rd of the votes.   Congratulations to Ms. Patil on a great victory!!!!

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/21/world/main3085108.shtml

"Morty

Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 08:10
30th July 1893

Fatima Jinnah born this day.  She is referred to as Khatoon-e-Pakistan ("Lady of Pakistan").

Involved in politics, she also devoted her time to the welfare of the Pakistani people.

On a sadder note:
1683 - Maria Theresa of Spain, Queen of France died.
1985 - Julia Hall Bowman Robinson, eminent mathematician.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 14:06
July 20th, 2007

Today, Tammy Faye Baker Messner succumbed to colon cancer. She is best known for her excessive makeup, mascara, false eyelashes and tattooed eyebrows. Together with her first husband, Televangelist - Jim Baker, she co-hosted the PTL Club on tv. She authored a couple of books, was on a tv reality show (The Surreal Life), was an evangelist and a singer. May she rest in peace!

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_Faye

Edited by morticia - 02-Aug-2007 at 14:07
"Morty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>