Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is the tomato really a fruit? Hell no!@!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
Author
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the tomato really a fruit? Hell no!@!!!!
    Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 20:32
Tomatoes anywhere outside of Southern Europe or the Middle East SUCK.   (Actually, i bet Mexican tomatoes tase pretty good) ....... i pity anyone whose only exposure to the amorous fruit has been through grainy, oversized, tasteless North American varieties.  Ponce, i think maybe thats where youre prejudice is coming from?  ... perhaps?
"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 20:53

It must be a case of what you are used to or grew up with, because I have tasted the european and middle east grown tomatos, and they are really awful,  Tough, woody and seedy.  The tomato you are referring to from NA could be of the Hydroponic type.  Pale, tasteless with weak meat. The field grown Jersey tomato[rutgers, beefmaster etc.] is superior to any grown anywhere including  elsewhere in the us. [biased?] of course I am, but accurate also.

BTW- early colonists called them love apples and thought them poisonous

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 20:57
Originally posted by red clay

It must be a case of what you are used to or grew up with, because I have tasted the european and middle east grown tomatos, and they are really awful,  Tough, woody and seedy.  The tomato you are referring to from NA could be of the Hydroponic type.  Pale, tasteless with weak meat. The field grown Jersey tomato[rutgers, beefmaster etc.] is superior to any grown anywhere including  elsewhere in the us. [biased?] of course I am, but accurate also.

BTW- early colonists called them love apples and thought them poisonous

We have to orchestrate a taste test.         This could prove logistically difficult.

"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 21:57

The logistics could be worked out.  If they can ship live maine lobsters to germany we can ship tomatos just about anywhere. The rub is, field grown jerseys won't be available until late june early july.  I'm up for it just the same.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Gyadu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gyadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 09:11

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Oh my goodness you say it is a compliment!!!

--Oh on the contrary, it is a huge lie!! Because remember remember remember remember!!! Tomatoes do not exsist!! they never have! and they never will!!

I insist Tomatoes exist.One more proof.

http://www.jewschool.com/tomato_camp.gif

Izan zirelako gara...... Izan garelako izango dira....
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 09:27

Why did you put a link that is only that same picture.

Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Gyadu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gyadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 09:36
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Why did you put a link that is only that same picture.

Some people suffer from 0.50% Vision.

http://home.swipnet.se/med-humor/Double%20vision.gif

http://www.srcuk.org/images/manysol.JPG

Edited by Gyadu
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 21:51
Obviously this is another attack from the liberal agenda to make people believe in what they call "the truth." I am not saying that tomatoes do not exsist "per say." I am only saying that the real tomato is not the fruit(vegtable, alien etc.) but the tomato in our hearts. ANd that is what i am trying to let everyone know.

---Also those pictures...they..just offend me as an American.
Gyadu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gyadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 21:56
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 13:57
I think Gyadu has the tomato red fever
Gyadu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gyadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 18:51

I'm back baby.....

Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 18:52
I hope you know that you and me are the only ones that tick each other off about tomatoes.

--Any way i think i am responsible for this tomato monster

Gyadu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gyadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 19:01
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 21:33

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I hope you know that you and me are the only ones that tick each other off about tomatoes.

--Any way i think i am responsible for this tomato monster

Five pages and [I think] ninety posts! On tomatoes! We -------

need to find lives?                            

Unknown.
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 21:40
Maybe for the entire forum lol
Gyadu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gyadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 22:00

The article is really long.

I Say Tomayto, You Say Tomahto...

Sam Cox
December, 2000

The United States Congress passed the Tariff Act of 1883, a rather innocuous piece of legislation requiring a 10% tax on imported vegetables, in response to growing international trade. Just a few short years later, a tomato importer evaluated the law closely, and decided to challenge it on the botanical grounds that a tomato was in fact technically a fruit, not a vegetable, and should therefore be exempt from said tax. John Nix's case posed merit enough to land the case before the Supreme Court in 1893. In Nix vs Hedden, 149 U.S. 304 (1893), Justice Gray wrote, "Botanically speaking, tomatoes are fruits of a vine, just as are cucumbers, squashes, beans, and peas. But in the common language of the people...all these are vegetables, which are grown in kitchen gardens, and which, whether eaten cooked or raw, are, like potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets, cauliflower, cabbage, celery and lettuce, usually served at dinner in, with or after the soup, fish or meats which constitute the principal part of the repast, and not, like fruits generally, as dessert [1]." The court rejected the botanical truth that the tomato is in fact a monstrously sized berry, and deferred to the culinary vernacular of vegetable to describe it. Thus is tax yet paid on imported tomatoes.

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~samcox/Tomato.html

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 22:17

Sigh! Shakespeare might have been right.  Get a bunch of lawyers fooling around with something they little understand and look what you get!

Unknown.
Gyadu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gyadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 22:20
Originally posted by red clay

Sigh! Shakespeare might have been right.  Get a bunch of lawyers fooling around with something they little understand and look what you get!

Hi dude you forgot to mention the golden errr.....tomato WORD.

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 22:25

And what might that be?

Unknown.
Gyadu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gyadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 22:28

TOMATO

This thread is about Tomatoes...remember....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>