Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Introduce yourself

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 115>
Author
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduce yourself
    Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 19:32
Proud frenchbasher since 1980.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 19:53

I've been in AE before,the old one.I'm back now.

Cheers

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 20:22

I read Cywr's story from "Secret Britain" - basically a book describing British countryside and tourist landmarks. The French contigent was commanded by a American-Irish general and more than half of them were criminals.

According to the story the caps welsh women wore made them resemble grenadiers in the distance. So a dozen French surrendered. But that could have been just pure myth. The rest, some hundred in number, surrendered later to a British contigent after a few skirmishes.

Proud Catt basher since 1987.

Edited by Evildoer
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 21:29
IIRC, those women were armed with pitchforks or something.
The French were banking on the support of the locals, but some of them raided a house, and that pissed off the locals, and it sort of went downhill from there.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 12:22
hello! i'm new here and i think i like this forum!!!! its very nice here..i think its all for the moment..hi!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 22:27
New here. I guess I posted my intro in the wrong place...I posted it in the Meeting Hall.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 22:40
welcome welcome Fila and kingabob, take off your shoes and stay awhile.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 18:12

IIRC, those women were armed with pitchforks or something.
The French were banking on the support of the locals, but some of them raided a house, and that pissed off the locals, and it sort of went downhill from there.

That invasion was more like a raid, it wasn't serious, and most of the soldiers were drunk.  Raiding south England was a very popular hobby in the 18th century.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Master of Puppets View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 09:25
Welcome to the new members!
Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 04:35
Hello members of this forum!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 05:02
That invasion was more like a raid, it wasn't serious, and most of the soldiers were drunk.  Raiding south England was a very popular hobby in the 18th century.

Yes, from the scale of operations it was clearly intended to be a raid, designed to provoke a revolt that could eventualy allow for a staging point or a potential future invasion, bt if kind of backfired.
Arrrgh!!"
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2004 at 13:01
Welcome to all the newcomers!!!!  Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourselves.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2004 at 22:53
Originally posted by Cornellia

Welcome to all the newcomers!!!!  Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourselves.

lol. It looks like I'm a bit behind.

I am Dave, 17 year old living in Virginia, USA. I wouldn't say that history is my academic focus, but it is one of my personal ones, and much of this interst is because of online history forums, beginning with HG's history forum that grew out from "off topic history threads" that started appearing in Age of King's forum. I've been at AE since the second month after its creation, and shortly afterwards, I started working on AE, which has been a most enjoyable experience to me.
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 03:57

I've been terribly lax in social form - my apologies...

It's good to be back - but at the rate I write it'll be years before I get my rank back.  I still think some of us should get extra points for length of posts...why don't longer posts count double?

And - having finally read all the introductions - I see that I am no longer the only oldie here - the ripe old age if 47 finally has some company.

Welcome to all the new folks - and welcome back to all the old ones - Looking forward to some great discussion.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 14:31

Welcome everybody!!!

I am new here, like Fila - other user, who came on AE from polish forum.I am 17 years old. I live in a big town in southern Poland - District Upper Silesia in a town named Tychy. Now I study in High School in a Maths and Economy degrees. I like playing soccer, guitar and listening Metallica. Except that I am interesting in Biblic and Polish history. I believe in God and I am a catholic. I want to be an Economist in the future, but I hope I meet many interesting people here and I upgrade my language skills.

Edited by krzystofer
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 19:36

I am Dave, 17 year old living in Virginia, USA.

Wow!  For some reason the image I conjured of you in my head was of well.....someone older, at least older than myself.  I guess we can all still be surprised by our veterans.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 22:32

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

I am Dave, 17 year old living in Virginia, USA.

Holy I knew you were younger but I didn't think you where the same age as my daughter (and not the oldest one either). You are a suprise

Edited by Dawn
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2004 at 23:46
Hi to everyone new!  Enjoy your stay and learn something new!  I know I will!

BTW: almost to emperor! hahah!
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2004 at 14:58
LOL is it because of the stoic tone and confusing sentence structure in how I write? 
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 06:27

I am here for years but I did not introduce myself with details

Name:aatay YURTZ(Cagatay Yurtoz)

Nationality:Turk

Ethnic Background: Ottoman Noble,from the grandsons of an Ottoman Pasha

Religion: Sunni Islam

Date of Birth: 7th November of 1988

Place of Birth: Zonguldak

Languages spoken: Turkish,English

Favourite Cartoons: Garfield,Ninja Turtles,Pokmon

Dislikes: vermicelli,bugs,snakes,and bees.

Favorite Era in History: It always changes

Titles in other History Forums: everywhere Jagatai Khan

Favorite Computer Games: Aok,Ron,Red Alert2,Generals

Political View: Kemalist Social Democrat

Hobbies: Playing guitar,listening music,reading books.

Favourite Books: Peace and War,Beyolu Rapsodisi,Mein Kampf,Su ve Ceza,M(i do not know it is english,its by dostoyevski about Raskolnikov)

Favorite Number: 2

Favorite Colors: Red and Black

Favorite Dish: Adana Kebab 

Favorite Proverb:'The empty barrels talks much" 

Favorite Movies:Troy,Saving Private Ryan,Braveheart,Tosun Pasha

Future Plans:to be an economist 

Edited by Jagatai Khan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 115>