Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hypocrisy of Freedom of Speech

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hypocrisy of Freedom of Speech
    Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 19:48
Parnell wrote-

What exactly do you want? To get the people of Europe to behave according to how you would like them to? Thats not going to happen unless we adopt some of the fascist tendencies many Arab countries resort to. And we don't want that. You seem to be happy living in a hellhole where you can't say what you think. Thats fine. Just don't make the rest of us who are quite happy with our decadence go down the sewer with you.

Mughaal would like you to think that as it gives him some degree of credibility.  Truth is he lives in Dallas US.

Personally I believe Mughaal is a fraud, a paper tiger if you will.  Or as they say down in Dallas,  All hat, no cattle.  He gets his kicks out of stirring things up to no particular end, perhaps just as an excuse to insult anyone in his path and then go and hide behind "freedom of speech"

Tell you what, go complain about me to the other Moderators and Administers, and if they want, they can ban tell me to leave. Democracy.

He did, and your request is under discussion.  We aim to pleaseBig%20smile

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 21:35
Mughal is got a point.Lets not behave as if the cartoons were simply a freedom of expression blown out of all proportions by the Muslims or the media.It was not.
It was provocative,and it was insulting to Muslims if they feel that it was.
Now someone would say that if they feel insulted by our freedom of expression then thats their problem.Then clearly is the problem of those who exercised such freedom to face the consecuences.
Thats were responsibility comes in.

Is media allowed today to make Jews as stereotypes in caricatures?Yes it is.But does it do this over an dover again as a provocation backed up by freedom of expression?No it does not,because it is a matter of responsibility,and a fear of a Backlash.

Lets not have even more insulting or racist examples that media is allowed by law to do,but never does,simply because some issues are sensitive and they provoke backlash.

Actually i would be surprise if this cartoos would be acceptable by most Europian counries Media watch.
One such country that i would be surprise to publish such cartoons would be Britain.

Now bottom line is,should the Media have such rights ?I think yes
But should it exercise them for means of provocation? I think no.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 21:59
Muslim Clerics stewed it up. Mughaals answers here in this thread and his rather baffling conclusion that I support the imprisonment of a holocaust denier, or support the war in Iraq is unworthy of debate. Mughaal is a dangerous authoritarian who doesn't view people as individuals, but as groups. He refuses to regard me as an individual with independent opinions but as part of a wider pan-European, pan-Atlantic conspiracy. And I still don't think he has a clue what freedom of speech really means.
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 22:42
I edited this comment.

Edited by Mughaal - 11-Mar-2008 at 23:47
Mughal e Azam
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 23:35
Where are you getting this absolute rubbish that I think the dead of Iraq are unworthy of debate? I opposed the Iraq war from the start, and have opposed it every day since.

I just don't understand what your whinging about. I mean, are you complainging about the cartoonists or the fact that the Danish government didn't CENSOR them? Having beef with the cartoons is perfectly legitimate. When you start burning effigies, demanding the execution of f**king cartoonists and start storming embassies, thats when you cross the line.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2008 at 23:56
Originally posted by Mughaal

Even Muslims dont draw Buddha with a bomb on his head. Thanks.

You're right they don't draw Buddha with a bomb on his head, they just blow Buddha up. But I guess that's what passes for tolerance.

Hypocrisy is rampant in all places. Mughaal, get off your high horse. Should the newspaper have published the Christ cartoon? That's up to the newspaper. Should the same newspaper have published the Mohammed cartoon? Again that is up to the newspaper. However if one is published (or not) so should the other one be. What you fail to realize though, is that the two cartoons were separated by three years. At a newspaper or any business much can happen in three years. In three years owners can change, editors can change, general political stances and affiliations can also change. All these things must be taken into account before you endeavor to lambast an entire continent for a cartoon. There is no excuse for threatening harm or actually harming somebody because the drew a picture that you didn't like. There are ways of combatting such cartoons, for instance a Islamic or opposition newspaper could print a cartoon of equal offensiveness (like a Christ cartoon). NEITHER ONE OF THESE CARTOONS SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED, BUT ONE MUST ALSO RESPECT THE RIGHT TO PUBLISH SUCH CARTOONS. Any such imprisonment or harmful action taken against the publishers or cartoonists should not be condoned. It should also be noted that the media have a responsibility to be sensitive to what a given publication can make a specific population do. They, the media, however, are not responsible for the actions of a few bad apples. At some point personal responsibility has to come into the equation. If person A kills person B for making a cartoon that person A finds insulting, then person A should take responsibility for his/her actions and should be punished. The fact of the matter is that cartoons are just cartoons and if you immigrate to a country don't expect that country to tailor its customs to yours. Upon immigration the immigrant has to adopt the hosts customs not visa versa.

You are doing nothing in your posts other than establishing how biased you are. You are in such a rage about this well then I pose this question to you. Would you be this upset about an anti-Semitic cartoon in Egypt, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Denmark, Germany, France, Russia, USA, or Britain? I doubt you would, I could be wrong though.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 00:06
Originally posted by King John

There are ways of combatting such cartoons, for instance a Islamic or opposition newspaper could print a cartoon of equal offensiveness (like a Christ cartoon).

While I agree with you that violence is not justified -- as I have repeatedly noted in this thread -- I do not agree with your proposed response. The cartoons were infantile attempts to offend, with little to no redeeming value. I do not see how publishing infantile, offensive cartoons in response would benefit anyone.

-Akolouthos
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 00:12
Akolouthos, that was just an off the cuff brainstorm of one possible way of combatting such offensive cartoons. It might seem infantile but it would allow a greater Islamic community to show a greater Christian community how offensive their (Christian) actions were. Of course there is another way to battle such cartoons and that is denounce them and show that they are greatly exaggerated stereotypes by not harming, rioting, and killing people.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 00:24
It isn't the first time, nor do I think it will be the last time I feel the need to enlighten members here on AE, that the way they portray the reasons for the cartoons are NOT the factual circumstances. I have a suspicion that some members only cares little about facts, or they chose to appear ignorant against better knowledge. 

Here is an excerpt from a post I made 2 years ago, and in case you want to study the context in which it was written, you can find it here.

Quote from the post:

The story behind (as I suppose you might not have heard the full story):
A book-publisher here in Denmark (not the newspaper) couldnt find any artists willing to illustrate a book about muslims and the life of Muhammed. A book that was meant to enlighten etnic Danes of the background for 200.000 muslim immigrants and refugees living here.
This was percieved as self-censorship  - something not compatibel with freedom of speech.
Then the newspaper in question, invited some newspaper-cartoonists to draw their perception of Muhammed in their normal "style", which of course was satiric and humorous. This was done to contradict the self-censorship - and of course to flash the flag for "Freedom of speech".

Any known person have had their portrait shown in newspapers that way - from athletes and bishops to the queen, prime minister and the holy virgin.
Satire is seen as something totally harmless - just meant to bring a smile on your face.

Things were calm for months after this - noone gave it a second thought, but only until a delegation of Imams living here decided to take a tour around several muslim countries, handing out a binder with the cartoons PLUS extremely insulting pictures they randomly had picked up elsewhere, which had absolutely nothing to do with the cartoons. In the text they said that this was how Denmark and Danes looked upon the muslim world!!

We all know what happened after this - action and reaction.

End of Quote.....

The storyline clearly proves, that the cartoons were created and published as a response to selfcensorship, caused by the fear already present in western Europe. A fear induced by Islamic extremists and terrorists.
They did NOT come out of the blue, only to insult muslims - there was a reason, and a good one. How hard is that to understand?

On a second note....
The paper published them to less than 200.000 subscribers who would forget them the next day. The Imams published them to billions of people all over the world, making sure everyone would see them (including the falsified ones).
Which is the bigger crime?

~ Northman

Edited by Northman - 09-Mar-2008 at 00:34
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 00:50

Akolouthos, that was just an off the cuff brainstorm of one possible way of combatting such offensive cartoons. It might seem infantile but it would allow a greater Islamic community to show a greater Christian community how offensive their (Christian) actions were. Of course there is another way to battle such cartoons and that is denounce them and show that they are greatly exaggerated stereotypes by not harming, rioting, and killing people.

It's been done already, though not by a muslim artist i think, but a Western artist? Just one of many poking fun at or slamming Christianity, had Jesus smeared in feces (I believe?), stirred up a reaction, but nowhere along the lines of what we had seen throughout the Middle East in regards to the Danish cartoons, regarding their prophet! That's just one reason among others, as to why i think Mughaal was blowing this way out of proportion!

Hell, Freedom of Speech for the most part i believe, does exist! Those who say otherwise, have failed miserably to explain to me in a sufficient manner,  as too why i'm being offended every single day by the extreme contrasts in opinions and for absolutely no reason at all, if it doesn't exist in the first place!

Edited by Panther - 09-Mar-2008 at 00:52
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 01:00
I wonder if Mughaal's indignation is pointed at the perceived hypocrisy or at the actual cartoon?

I am with you Panther, I believe free speech exists.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 02:20
Originally posted by Heroi

Mughal is got a point.Lets not behave as if the cartoons were simply a freedom of expression blown out of all proportions by the Muslims or the media.It was not.
It was provocative,and it was insulting to Muslims if they feel that it was.
Now someone would say that if they feel insulted by our freedom of expression then thats their problem.Then clearly is the problem of those who exercised such freedom to face the consecuences.
Thats were responsibility comes in.

Is media allowed today to make Jews as stereotypes in caricatures?Yes it is.But does it do this over an dover again as a provocation backed up by freedom of expression?No it does not,because it is a matter of responsibility,and a fear of a Backlash.

Lets not have even more insulting or racist examples that media is allowed by law to do,but never does,simply because some issues are sensitive and they provoke backlash.

Actually i would be surprise if this cartoos would be acceptable by most Europian counries Media watch.
One such country that i would be surprise to publish such cartoons would be Britain.

Now bottom line is,should the Media have such rights ?I think yes
But should it exercise them for means of provocation? I think no.

And thus Heroi understands the issue completely, and has articulate the workable solution. Better be careful Heroi, spend too much time in these threads and you'll start thinking the sky is green and the mountains purple.

Originally posted by Northman

The storyline clearly proves, that the cartoons were created and published as a response to selfcensorship, caused by the fear already present in western Europe. A fear induced by Islamic extremists and terrorists.
They did NOT come out of the blue, only to insult muslims - there was a reason, and a good one. How hard is that to understand?

When I read that timeline (for about the umpteenth time) I come to the opposite conclusion. That they did do it JUST to get the reaction, and to insult. Can you figure out why?
The paper published them to less than 200.000 subscribers who would forget them the next day. The Imams published them to billions of people all over the world, making sure everyone would see them (including the falsified ones).

The Imams committed no crime.
It is not a crime to ask for help. It is not a crime to tell the police your husband hit you. It is not a crime to report a crime, and God save us if it ever becomes one.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 02:55
I believe the crime that Northman is referring to is inciting a riot. I know here in the US one can be and often is arrested for inciting a riot. I believe that Northman is arguing that the Imams exacerbated the situation to such a point that they provoked the riots not the cartoon itself.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 04:11
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Originally posted by Northman

The storyline clearly proves, that the cartoons were created and published as a response to selfcensorship, caused by the fear already present in western Europe. A fear induced by Islamic extremists and terrorists.
They did NOT come out of the blue, only to insult muslims - there was a reason, and a good one. How hard is that to understand?

When I read that timeline (for about the umpteenth time) I come to the opposite conclusion. That they did do it JUST to get the reaction, and to insult. Can you figure out why?

Actually, what i am getting from it, is the dangerous attitude of self-censorship as neatly practiced in a totalirian society, running amok in many a country experimenting within their own societies on multi-cultural diversity. The next step might be for the state to step in when everything goes to pot, leaving many civillians convinced that the nanny states does know best after all, leaving it to the civillians who will make that choice in the end, on whether or not to give up their freedoms... one by one! Please don't ever let that happen!! But, once that does happens, then where will be those freedom's for everyone that many have been trying extremely hard too protect, even for those of the more violent persusaion or unreasonable nature!

It is a very thin line, once it is crossed... there is no turning back without much major bloodshed for everyone concerned, to restore what was lost, if it is at all possible! 

To give an example of what i mean: My views are different form others. What do i care as long as no views are squashed for any reason what-so-ever, especially over sensitive issues!

The paper published them to less than 200.000 subscribers who would forget them the next day. The Imams published them to billions of people all over the world, making sure everyone would see them (including the falsified ones).

The Imams committed no crime.
It is not a crime to ask for help. It is not a crime to tell the police your husband hit you. It is not a crime to report a crime, and God save us if it ever becomes one.

Well, not too sound disrespectful or hypocritical or even harsh, but if many people cry on about Westerners intervening and imposing upon their countries over the centuries, then what makes those type of people any different from what they accuse the West of, by trying to impose a reverse value upon the host country? Haven't they always had a history of being interventionalist as well? I don't wish to start some type of flame war, but i haven't seen many people discussing that issue in detail yet? That... or i simply must of missed it here? Did any of that make any sense?

No the Imams didn't commit a crime by practising their freedom of speech, per se. But the problem was in their intent, which was not too inform, which isn't a crime, but by appearances so far.. too only enflame middle eastern passions into bloodshed and violence to prove what ever point they were trying to make! As people, as human beings with differing views... we can accept alot of responsibilities for our action, with no region of the globe ought to be any consideration for anything different! But, when will others, especially Muslims start holding themseleves to the same standards of responsibilities as is imposed on, or recognised by most of the world? Really don't mean for that too sound sarcastic, but look upon it with the intent of it being a legitimate question.

Panther

Edited by Panther - 09-Mar-2008 at 04:17
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 04:41
I dont know about you gentleman, but everyone has his/her limits. Consistently sticking needles into anyones spine is going to cause a reaction.

What Europeans need to understand is there are people who dont share their self centered way of life and actually do place things besides "freedom of speech" on a higher plane then themselves.

Mughal e Azam
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 04:48

[QUOTE=Mughaal]

You're right they don't draw Buddha with a bomb on his head, they just blow Buddha up. But I guess that's what passes for tolerance.

Hypocrisy is rampant in all places. Mughaal, get off your high horse. Should the newspaper have published the Christ cartoon? That's up to the newspaper. Should the same newspaper have published the Mohammed cartoon? Again that is up to the newspaper. However if one is published (or not) so should the other one be. What you fail to realize though, is that the two cartoons were separated by three years. At a newspaper or any business much can happen in three years. In three years owners can change, editors can change, general political stances and affiliations can also change. All these things must be taken into account before you endeavor to lambast an entire continent for a cartoon. There is no excuse for threatening harm or actually harming somebody because the drew a picture that you didn't like. There are ways of combatting such cartoons, for instance a Islamic or opposition newspaper could print a cartoon of equal offensiveness (like a Christ cartoon). NEITHER ONE OF THESE CARTOONS SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED, BUT ONE MUST ALSO RESPECT THE RIGHT TO PUBLISH SUCH CARTOONS. Any such imprisonment or harmful action taken against the publishers or cartoonists should not be condoned. It should also be noted that the media have a responsibility to be sensitive to what a given publication can make a specific population do. They, the media, however, are not responsible for the actions of a few bad apples. At some point personal responsibility has to come into the equation. If person A kills person B for making a cartoon that person A finds insulting, then person A should take responsibility for his/her actions and should be punished. The fact of the matter is that cartoons are just cartoons and if you immigrate to a country don't expect that country to tailor its customs to yours. Upon immigration the immigrant has to adopt the hosts customs not visa versa.

You are doing nothing in your posts other than establishing how biased you are. You are in such a rage about this well then I pose this question to you. Would you be this upset about an anti-Semitic cartoon in Egypt, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Denmark, Germany, France, Russia, USA, or Britain? I doubt you would, I could be wrong though.

First of all, Muslims dont make Christ cartoons because it will be equally damning in the Muslim community.

I deleted the rest.

Edited by Mughaal - 11-Mar-2008 at 23:46
Mughal e Azam
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 04:53
Originally posted by Akolouthos

There are ways of combatting such cartoons, for instance a Islamic or opposition newspaper could print a cartoon of equal offensiveness (like a Christ cartoon).

While I agree with you that violence is not justified -- as I have repeatedly noted in this thread -- I do not agree with your proposed response. The cartoons were infantile attempts to offend, with little to no redeeming value. I do not see how publishing infantile, offensive cartoons in response would benefit anyone.

-Akolouthos

I agree Ako. It would be childish to respond in such a manner to something that you deem an offense, just like violent outburst were another form of stupidity. Protesting them in a civil manner however is feasible and reasonable.

PS King John, for Muslims to print such a Christ cartoon would be an oxymoron, and they'd have to protest themselves. Jesus is a prophet, and the Messiah in Islam so any offensive image would be the same thing as Muhammad's.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 05:09
Originally posted by Panther

No the Imams didn't commit a crime by practising their freedom of speech, per se. But the problem was in their intent, which was not too inform, which isn't a crime, but by appearances so far.. too only enflame middle eastern passions into bloodshed and violence to prove what ever point they were trying to make!

Panther

Isn't this bit of a superficial claim? To say that they intended bloodshed and violence is kind of derogatory of their own faith. It is not as if any Imam and any Madrasa in the world is a breeding ground for negative opinions. You do know that someone who teaches and studies his faith continuously might be a bit ticked off by such insinuating photos. Of course they would report such a blatant attempt to offend. Putting the violence on their shoulders doesn't make much sense unless you have transcripts and audio recordings of them specifying some conspiracy theory scheme immersed in blood and gore...

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 05:53
And Panther, the intent of the publishing and republishing was?

Go print a caricature of the Holocaust please. Just do it.
Mughal e Azam
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2008 at 06:20
Originally posted by es_bih

Originally posted by Panther

No the Imams didn't commit a crime by practising their freedom of speech, per se. But the problem was in their intent, which was not too inform, which isn't a crime, but by appearances so far.. too only enflame middle eastern passions into bloodshed and violence to prove what ever point they were trying to make!

Panther

Isn't this bit of a superficial claim? To say that they intended bloodshed and violence is kind of derogatory of their own faith. It is not as if any Imam and any Madrasa in the world is a breeding ground for negative opinions. You do know that someone who teaches and studies his faith continuously might be a bit ticked off by such insinuating photos. Of course they would report such a blatant attempt to offend. Putting the violence on their shoulders doesn't make much sense unless you have transcripts and audio recordings of them specifying some conspiracy theory scheme immersed in blood and gore...

Superficial claim? Conspiracy theories? Not anymore so then what is usally opined about on daily basis when we think about any controversial issues!  Anyways, not to worry... i have no use for conspiracy theories myself, even if it would help my position or not. Too explain myself, in why i do question their motives, i can only point to  a website called Memri TV. What i've read isn't pretty, in fact... i wished i never had found the site at all. Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes!

Regarding me knowing that someone who teaches and study their faith might be ticked off over a controversial topic? Of course i know that, many Christians i know (Including me), live with it on a daily basis. Our muslim friends or countrymen aren't the only ones being offended on a daily basis, in regards to freedom of speech! 

Anyways, the very last thing i ever want to see other Christians do, is to revert back to their medieval past of intolerance, bloodshed, ignorance and the many wars with one another. I do also hold out the faint hope that the Sunni and Shia Muslims can over come their present difficulties and animosities between one another as well! That might read like it sounds insincere, but let me assure you, i always try to be as honest and sincere as i can about my opinions where ever i go!

Panther

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>