Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArmenian killings - mutual massacres or genocide?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armenian killings - mutual massacres or genocide?
    Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 20:12

Originally posted by mamikon

I dont think people who are not enrolled in a school can read the site bg_Turk, I think that the site only lets those affiliated with schools/colleges and their libraries to use the site.

Ok, here you go:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10040&am p;PN=1&TPN=1

There is also a review on Dadrian, which I am sure you will like better

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 21:11

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that Russians were aided by Armenians who survived the Turkish exile, rather than "the Armenian state sought the help of Russia", when the Armenian state didn't exist in 1917?

The Armenian state did not exist at that time, but it was about to be created. In the early days of the conflict Armenians aided the Russians and sabotaged retreating Turkish troops. Turkish troops initiated massacres and deporations against the Armenians.

And during 1917, all Russian troops went home to fight the Revolution, so how does this constitute as a genocide by Armenians against Turks? On top of this, it is a proven fact that by the time 1918 started, most of the Ottoman Armenian population had been sent into exile.

Yes, this was the turning point of the war. If the Revolution had not started in Russia, Turkey would probably have lost this war.  As a result of the successful offensive of the Russo-Armenian forces in Feb 1918 most of East Anatolia was under Armenian control.

On p.305 of  http://www.armenica.org/cgi-bin/history/en/getHistory.cgi?1= 999=305=40==1=3=A we read:

Winston Churchill writes: At the beginning of 1918 the Russian army abandoned the front in Asia Minor and became a scattered flock whose only desire was to return home. Russians left the front very quickly and the Turks had not yet advanced. The Armenians who stayed behind made a desperate attempt to defend their country, Armenia, and the Armenians in the Russian army gathered and, with the volunteer units, for a time, were able to stop the Turkish advance. Of the 150 000 soldiers that the Armenians had supplied to the Russian army, all had fallen in battle or were scattered over the empire, so that the Armenians were not able to gather more than 35 000 men. 5

At the start of 1918, the Armenian army, continuing in Armenian military traditions, the hope and the condition for an independent Armenian government, took up position at the Western Armenian front. The Armenian army was led by commanders such as General Nazarbekian, General Andranik (known as the Armenian Garibaldi) and Colonel Morel, the Russian officer who was its founder and protector. The army fought without respite to defend Western Armenia and Transcaucasia, a 400 km front, against the Turkish army.

Who wrote the content on russianwarrior.com, and how is that evidence that Armenians slaughtered Turks?

I do not know but it is often cited in wikipedia as a source for the military conflicts between Russia and the Ottomans. I included it as evidence that the Turks were on the loosing side of the war before the turning point in 1918.

Even if what it says about the Russian invasion is true, how does it prove that Ottoman Armenians collaborated with Russians before 1915? And your second link had nothing to do with Armenia at all.

The second link was a source for the number of Russian participating in the War, and it was in response to your statement that Armenians could not have achieved big massacres against the Turks due to the their numerical inferiority. But they had their Russian allies on their side, whose total forces during the Great War numbered up to 12 million.

Your 3rd source didn't work for me, all it says is "We're sorry. You do not have access to JSTOR from your current location."

You can access it here:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10040&am p;PN=1&TPN=1

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:01
     Ok, how does any of this prove that Turks were the victims of genocide at the hands of Armenians?

Originally posted by bg_turk

Yes, this was the turning point of the war. If the Revolution had not started in Russia, Turkey would probably have lost this war.  As a result of the successful offensive of the Russo-Armenian forces in Feb 1918 most of East Anatolia was under Armenian control.

On p.305 of  http://www.armenica.org/cgi-bin/history/en/getHistory.cgi?1= 999=305=40==1=3=A we read:

Quote:

Winston Churchill writes: At the beginning of 1918 the Russian army abandoned the front in Asia Minor and became a scattered flock whose only desire was to return home. Russians left the front very quickly and the Turks had not yet advanced. The Armenians who stayed behind made a desperate attempt to defend their country, Armenia, and the Armenians in the Russian army gathered and, with the volunteer units, for a time, were able to stop the Turkish advance. Of the 150 000 soldiers that the Armenians had supplied to the Russian army, all had fallen in battle or were scattered over the empire, so that the Armenians were not able to gather more than 35 000 men. 5

At the start of 1918, the Armenian army, continuing in Armenian military traditions, the hope and the condition for an independent Armenian government, took up position at the Western Armenian front. The Armenian army was led by commanders such as General Nazarbekian, General Andranik (known as the Armenian Garibaldi) and Colonel Morel, the Russian officer who was its founder and protector. The army fought without respite to defend Western Armenia and Transcaucasia, a 400 km front, against the Turkish army.

Those 150,000 Armenian soldiers in the Russian army were from Eastern Armenia, which was part of the Russian Empire prior to the war. There goes the only point to your argument. It also says those 150,000 soldiers all had died or fled, and the Armenians were never able to muster more than 35,000 men. This proves that the Armenians hardly had any way to defend themselves from the Ottomans. You should pick sources which back up your argument, not disprove it.

Western Armenia is also a geographical term, which is obvious because independent Armenia never included the eastern provinces of the Ottoman Empire promised to them in the Treaty of Sevres.
     On a related note, when they say "country" they are not speaking of an established entity. Just one example of this is Basque Country. Its not independent by any stretch of the imagination, but its called a country, because people of the same ethnicity/language/culture have lived there for centuries. You're taking simple terms way out of proportion in order to prove a far-fetched point.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:41

Throughout the decade of strife (1912-1922) Van has lost 62%, Bitlis 42%, Erzurum 31%, Diyarbakir 26% of their Muslim populations as a direct result of the actions of the Russians and and their (East) Armenian collaborators. As a result around 600,000 muslims (Halacoglu) have lost their lives. But apparently this is not enough to qualify it as a genocide.

Those 150,000 Armenian soldiers in the Russian army were from Eastern Armenia, which was part of the Russian Empire prior to the war.

I may go a bit off topic but I just wanted to clarify something which is unclear to me.

According to Churchil's words 150 thousand Armenians (Eastern Armenians according to you) joined the Ottoman Army and 115 thousand of them have died in action on the frontline. Does this number count towards the 1.5 million figure of Armenian casualties? Are the Armenian soldiers in the ranks of the invading Russian Army victims of Genocide?

Western Armenia is also a geographical term, which is obvious because independent Armenia never included the eastern provinces of the Ottoman Empire promised to them in the Treaty of Sevres.

[quote]You're taking simple terms way out of proportion in order to prove a far-fetched point.

My point was that after 1917 most of Eastern Anatolia was under Armenian millitary control, I do not see how this is far fetched.

Edited by bg_turk
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:57

Throughout the decade of strife (1912-1922) Van has lost 62%, Bitlis 42%, Erzurum 31%, Diyarbakir 26% of their Muslim populations as a direct result of the actions of the Russians and and their (East) Armenian collaborators. As a result around 600,000 muslims (Halacoglu) have lost their lives. But apparently this is not enough to qualify it as a genocide.

I'm sorry, but I've heard that Halacoglu claims the Armenian victims of the relocation were 80,000. That hardly makes him a reliable source. Are there any other estimates or claims of genocide besides Halacoglu's?

According to Churchil's words 150 thousand Armenians (Eastern Armenians according to you) joined the Ottoman Army and 115 thousand of them have died in action on the frontline. Does this number count towards the 1.5 million figure of Armenian casualties? Should Armenian soldiers in the Ranks of the invading Russian Army be considered victims of Genocide on par with elderly, women and child victims?

I don't think they are counted in the tally of victims of the genocide, but I could be wrong. Either way, the number of non-combatant Armenian casualties exceeds a million. And those Armenian soldiers were from Eastern Armenia, since it is well-known that Eastern Armenia was under Russian control prior to WW1.

My point was that after 1917 most of Eastern Anatolia was under Armenian millitary control, I do not see how this is far fetched.

Yes, and that is how the Ottomans took control of the region just after this, since even Churchill said, the Armenians could not muster more than 35,000 men. This is very obvious when you consider that by 1918, Turkish troops reached the modern-day Armenian border. How are 35,000 men (this is the greatest estimate, too) going to kill over half a million Muslims, and fight the Ottoman army at the same time? And how did the Ottomans reach the modern Armenian border by 1918? It doesn't make sense...why waste resources killing civilians when they can devote more man-power to face the advancing Ottoman troops, who were much stronger and more numerous than them (obvious due to the fact that by 1918 Ottomans reached the modern-Armenian border)?

You are speaking as if the Ottoman army suddenly disappeared when the Russians left.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 23:50

I'm sorry, but I've heard that Halacoglu claims the Armenian victims of the relocation were 80,000. That hardly makes him a reliable source. Are there any other estimates or claims of genocide besides Halacoglu's?

McCarthy quotes similar figures for the Muslim casualties. I have posted references before, you can also find them in the other thread.  Since your criteria on the reliability of historians seems to be the number of Armenian victims they quote, you have no choice but to accept McCarthy as reliable since he quotes "more than a million Armenian dead" :-)

Yes, and that is how the Ottomans took control of the region just after this, since even Churchill said, the Armenians could not muster more than 35,000 men. This is very obvious when you consider that by 1918, Turkish troops reached the modern-day Armenian border. How are 35,000 men (this is the greatest estimate, too) going to kill over half a million Muslims, and fight the Ottoman army at the same time?

The figure of half a million is the total estimate and it is not restricted only to the period after 1918. Of course as the Russians left Armenians were severely weakened, but with the Russian presence before 1918 the ability of Russians and Armenians to cause Muslims casualties of that scale should not be underestimated.

This Armenian source http://www.armenianhistory.info/thefirst.htm states that a "100 thousand Turkish army crossed the pre-war Russian frontier" Assuming that this is not an exaggeration, the ratio of 2:5  in favor of the Turks, but it is not as desperate as you claim.  

Besides Turks were fighting a war in the West against the Greeks, in which until August 1922 they seemed to be on the loosing end.

And how did the Ottomans reach the modern Armenian border by 1918? It doesn't make sense...why waste resources killing civilians when they can devote more man-power to face the advancing Ottoman troops, who were much stronger and more numerous than them (obvious due to the fact that by 1918 Ottomans reached the modern-Armenian border)?

Is that really so? The modern border was not reached until 1920. Kars was taken on October 30 1920.

I could ask those same question but with the roles exchnaged. Why would the Ottoman Army which suffered defeat after defeat in the hands of the Russian bother to deport and massacre Armenians prior to 1917? If you can answer this question you will have answered your own too.

Edited by bg_turk
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 00:02
bg_Turk,

what is your argument here? what are you trying to prove? that there was a Turkish Genocide?

again, if there was a Turkish Genocide wouldnt you expect 3 million Turkish civilians dead when the Russians advanced?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 00:12

McCarthy quotes similar figures. I have posted reference before, you can also find them in the other thread.  Since your criteria on the reliability of historians seems to be the number of Armenian victims they quote, you have no choice but to accept McCarthy as reliable since he quotes "more than a million Armenian dead" :-)

It is not the only criteria, but when you give a number so well off from every credible estimate, it doesn't make the historian look too respectable or reliable.

Ok, so all you have is McCarthy...sounds more like a theory by a historian rather than historical fact.

I could ask those same question but with the roles exchnaged. Why would the Ottoman Army which suffered defeat after defeat in the hands of the Russian bother to deport and massacre Armenians prior to 1917? If you can answer this question you will have answered your own too.

You're comparing the Ottoman army and the capability of the Ottoman Empire prior to WW1 to a group of refugees? The point is that the Ottomans had a military and economic infrastructure to support their military advances, while the Armenians at this time were a group of refugees, and after 1917, were a hopeless case against the Ottoman army. Just because Eastern Armenians attacked under the Russian flag, does not mean anything, since they were part of the Russian Empire. And since there was no Armenian state, you cannot blame a genocide (assuming it happened) on a non-existant state.

You still have not given a reliable source as to when Armenians collaborated with the Russians. You didn't even state the difference between Eastern and Western Armenians, which is very significant, because one fought for the Ottomans while the other fought against them under Russia. Its very easy to say "Armenians collaborated with Russians to kill Turks!" when half the Armenian population fought for the Russian Empire.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 00:17
Originally posted by mamikon

again, if there was a Turkish Genocide wouldnt you expect 3 million Turkish civilians dead when the Russians advanced?

Exactly...if the plan was to "kill all Turks" or "expell all Turks", there would be many more Turks dead than half a million (even this number is highly exaggerated, since the only person backing this claim is McCarthy). As I said, its a theory made by a historian, which is far from factual evidence.

Mamikon, imagine if all the historians which fully agree that there was an Armenian genocide got as much attention from the Turkish side as McCarthy

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 00:46

Exactly...if the plan was to "kill all Turks" or "expell all Turks", there would be many more Turks dead than half a million

If there was a plan by Turks to "kill all Armenians" you would expect many more Armenian dead too. In any case I do not see how you disprove McCarthy's and Halacoglu's figures with such a statement?

(even this number is highly exaggerated, since the only person backing this claim is McCarthy).

And the only persons refuting this claim are of Armenian origin. I have never seen anybody else question McCarthy's credibility and integrity.

As I said, its a theory made by a historian, which is far from factual evidence.

It is not that simply. McCarthy's work has been scrutinized by peer-reviewers and here is what they have to say on the subject:

While McCarthy admits that available population statistics are often sketchy, inexact, and muddled in categoraization (the methodology in dealing with the thorniest statistical problems is presented in an appendix), his demonstrated expertise in Ottoman demography permits him to posit a conservative estimate that, during the period under discussion, the Muslim populations in the Ottoman empire suffered approximately 10.3 million victims - almost evenely divided between deaths and forced emigres to Anatolia .... McCarthy's statistical analyses are summarized in thirty-two tables.

McCarthy succeeds in providing factual material for b ringing the European historiography of the latter Ottoman Empire into more objective balance.

Dennis Hupchick, Wikes University in American Historical Review

As far as accuracy of his figures is conerned, I believe from my own research in primary Turkish sources that his figures are generally correct, although the number of Muslim deaths is underestimated. Suffice it to mention that most knowledgeable demographers agree that Turkey lost 40 percent of its male population between the ages of 18-40 from 1912-1922.

Kemal Karpat, University of Wisconsin - Madison, International Migration Review

John McCarthy's solid demographic work contributes to achieving a better balance and understanding that he ardently desire for the history of these regions and peoples.

Robert Olson, review

Edited by bg_turk
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 00:58

If there was a plan by Turks to "kill all Armenians" you would expect many more Armenian dead.

Um, there aren't Armenians left in Turkey outside of Istanbul. Last I checked there were millions of Turks and Kurds in Eastern Turkey. If there was a "mutual genocide", the population figures would also have something mutually in common--they obviously don't.

And the only persons refuting this claim are of Armenian origin.

So everyone that denies the "Turkish genocide" is of Armenian origin? Again, more paranoia that Armenians are behind everything....most of the scholars that agree that a genocide of Armenians took place are non-Armenian. None of them claim Armenians had planned a Turkish genocide, either.

Do any of those guys that agree with McCarthy have a degree in history...just wondering, it wasn't written down.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 07:58
Why do you keep mixing Western Armenians and Eastern Armenians? These people were subject of different empires and therefore had obligation towards to separate govrenments.

Anyhow, this is fresh news from the ongoing conference in Turkey:

TURKISH, FOREIGN ACADEMICS DEBATE WWI ARMENIAN MASSACRES

Middle East Times, Egypt
March 15 2006

ISTANBUL -- Some 70 Turkish and foreign academics gathered in
Istanbul on Wednesday for a three-day conference to discuss whether
the controversial massacres of Armenians during World War I amounted
to genocide or not.

In a rare move, the gathering, organized by the Istanbul state
university, offered the floor to academics of all convictions even
though it was largely dominated by historians and officials who defend
Turkey's official position on the 1915-17 killings.

Turkey categorically denies that Armenian subjects under its
predecessor, the Ottoman Empire, were victims of a genocide, but
acknowledges that at least 300,000 Armenians and as many Turks died
in civil strife during the last years of the empire.

Armenians claim that up to 1.5 million of their kin were slaughtered
in orchestrated killings.

In the first session of the conference, Yair Auron, an Israeli
researcher of Jewish archives from Ottoman times, openly used the term
"genocide" and appealed on Turks to question their past.

"Every civil society has to deal with its past, including the black
pages of this past," Auron said.

Books detailing the Armenian claims were also available at the entrance
to the conference hall in a rare move.

Turkey has only recently begun to openly discuss the taboo subject
of the Armenian massacres, which many countries have recognized
as genocide.

In September last year a private Istanbul university hosted a landmark
conference organized by intellectuals disputing Ankara's official
line on the mass killings, despite a court order to block it.
Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 08:37
Armenian Genocide=an organised crime against the human race...

:Turkish soldiers hanging Armenian civilians:

armenian heads...

Turkish regural soldiers ,proudly posing...

Armenian mother and her child...

Bodies..(looks like concentration camp during the Holocaust)

More bodies...

And skulls in Urfa :

Now i can hear more "arguments" for the fact that turkish "democratic" state didnt offered yet an apology....
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 09:00

What is this crap?

The Latin script and Western clothes in Ottoman Era! Are you that ignorant?

That picture is screaming as "I'm fake!"

Edited by barish
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 09:31
Digenis pictures that have been proven to be authentic can be found here

http://www.armenian-genocide.org/photointro.html
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 09:32

Originally posted by armenica

Why do you keep mixing Western Armenians and Eastern Armenians? These people were subject of different empires and therefore had obligation towards to separate govrenments.

If you are so keen on not mixing them, you should use the term Genocide of WESTERN Armenians. You cannot aks that Turkish crimes be considered against all Armenians, and at the same time try to dissolve the collective responsibility of Armenians as a whole for their crimes by creating artificial distinctions.

Edited by bg_turk
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 09:34
If there was a plan by Turks to "kill all Armenians" you would expect many more Armenian dead too. In any case I do not see how you disprove McCarthy's and Halacoglu's figures with such a statement?

well seeing that there were about 2 million Armenians before and there are 40-60000 now, after almost a century wouldnt you say they almost did "kill all Armenians"?

Edited by mamikon
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 09:38
"If you are so keen on not mixing them, you should use the term Genocide of WESTERN Armenians. You cannot aks that Turkish crimes be considered against all Armenians, and at the same time try to dissolve the collective responsibility of Armenians as a whole for their crimes by creating artificial distinctions."

Yes well there were Jews all over the world, so you can not say the Holocaust was against all Jews?

what the hell...
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 09:49

Originally posted by Digenis

Now i can hear more "arguments" for the fact that turkish "democratic" state didnt offered yet an apology....

Those horrible barbaric and evil Turks!

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 09:52

Originally posted by Digenis

Those horrible barbaric and evil Turks!

wasnt that a movie that came out in like 1920? in USA?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 24>