Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do you believe that Turkey will enter EU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Poll Question: Turkey in EU
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [6.56%]
14 [22.95%]
5 [8.20%]
1 [1.64%]
7 [11.48%]
30 [49.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you believe that Turkey will enter EU
    Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 16:22
Kerimoglu
Yes, Feanor, I really believe that and I have reasons for it.

Thumbs%20Up I agree.

I wouldn't put it so blunty as saying the EU needs Turkey however, EU needs Turkiye more than it doesn't need her ie EU doesn't want to push her away as that would be a huge loss with long-term implications.

Recently the financial times had an interesting article

Turkey's loss will be another strategic defeat for the west

The government of Recep Tayyip Erdogan has made mistakes, sometimes undermining its own cause. But it is not stupid. Turkey has other options and interests. It can look eastwards to its Muslim neighbours, northwards to Russia. The Union's sometimes scolding, sometimes patronising, attitude is already turning opinion in Turkey away from Europe. At some point Ankara will say enough is enough......

Majkes I'd like to point out that Turkey has a stronger economy than the two new entrants into the EU and one with alot of potential.

Under the 10-year-old customs union with the EU, many Turks would say they already have as much integration as they want. During a visit to Istanbul last week I spoke to about a dozen Turks from the business and financial communities. I found not one who believed the partial suspension of accession talks would have any significant effect in damping Turkey's economic dynamism. Several said that, by the time Europe judged Turkey was ready for membership, the EU would itself have changed out of all recognition - and/or that Turkey would no longer want to join.

Foreign investment is pouring into Turkey because it is a land of opportunity for all sides. Though some political volatility can be expected as next year's elections loom, the EU hiccup is unlikely to change the country's fundamental attractiveness. Investors from fast-growing Asia view Turkey as astonishingly stable; those from slow-growing Europe see it as astonishingly exciting. The debate (much regarded in Germany and France) over whether Turkey belongs to Europe is beside the point. The crumbling Ottoman Empire was labelled the sick man of Europe, not Asia.

David Marsh,

Director,

London and Oxford Group,

London

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 16:44
These are totally nonsenses(this argument is for internal reasons) that E.U. needs Turkey more  than her to become a full  member. E.U.just want Turkey as a good and a big market thats why Germans and French speak for a special relation  with Turkey.They don't really want Turkey to become a full member of E.U.
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 16:36
EU sees Turkey as a mistress.Don't leave her, but don't marry her.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 16:54
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

I agree with you.
Anfører
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 17:35
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

I cannot summarize the situation better than this.

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 16:12
Originally posted by Bulldog

Majkes I'd like to point out that Turkey has a stronger economy than the two new entrants into the EU and one with alot of potential 

You are right but it is still far away from Spain or Slovenia. I support Turkey in EU because of its high potential and developing economy. Every empire must develop to survive and if EU wants to survive it have to accept Turkey sooner or later. Still I don't see why I should be quiet if someone says rubbish about Turkish economy being on the level of SpanishConfused.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 07:10
This weekend I realised (I knew it, but now i am 100% sure) that the problem with Turkey is that The army governs the country.
Turkish army threatens with war ( very rare thing!!!) Cyprus, Lebanon and Egypt if they procceed with the oil exctraction in an area that belongs to these three countries.
I just want to remind you that turkish amry has threaten with war also Greece if we procceed with oil exctraction in Aegean, specific in Thasos island and also in Ionian(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Generally Turks threatns with war Greece if we exploit our oil in wherever we have that. regrdless if it is near Greek-Italian borders, Geek-Turkish borders, in the middle of Aegean or even in Pireous!!!!!!!!!! 
This behaviour is that EU(except Uk ) considers unapproprate.
And for your information Turkey has expanad their borders to 12 miles in Black sea but threatens Greece if we do the same in Aegean.

As long as Turkey threatens with war EU members it never going to enter Eu. Everything else for culture, economy and religious are rubbish. get real

Edited by perikles - 05-Feb-2007 at 07:12
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 07:44
It is very normal for Turkey to protect his interests by all his means. 
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 08:28
I agree. But what are the intrests of Turkey in Ionian sea?
What are Turkey's interests in Southern Cyprus?

And you said by all means right?
This is not the right way. Because you can't deny something that you did. And nobody said nothing to you. This is not a behaviour of a republic or civilised country. Is like in high school we had the bully man that was taking our allowance. It is not right. There are laws and international law. The threat of war is not right. And if Turkey is sure that she has right why she doesn't go to international justice?
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 08:39
In Ionian Sea? it was the Eastern Med wasn't it where the Greek Cypriot leader started dreaming thinking that all the Oil would be his and thought that Lebanon and Egypt would join him in his stunt.

Well it didn't work, Lebanon quit the deal, Egypt cancelled, Israel wasn't impressed by Greek Cyprus's plans. That's Papadopolous, if anybody is a threat to stablity its him.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 09:17
The stability is threaten by acts and threats of war.For the intarnational agreement nobody has resigned. The deal has been signed by the three parts and now Israel is ready to join. But you didn't answer me why the Turks are threatens us for war if we expploit Thasos oil and Ionian sea?

And Republic of Cyprus is an legal independent country and according to international laws can exploit the oil in their region as  they like. And why they should share something that belongs to them according to the international treats and international laws. The law my friend is to be respected. Otherwise there is a jungle. We live by the laws. Its time everybody to start living that way.

And at 15 of February the contract will be active.

Edited by perikles - 05-Feb-2007 at 09:22
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 09:20

In Ionian Sea? it was the Eastern Med wasn't it where the Greek Cypriot leader started dreaming thinking that all the Oil would be his and thought that Lebanon and Egypt would join him in his stunt.

Well it didn't work, Lebanon quit the deal, Egypt cancelled, Israel wasn't impressed by Greek Cyprus's plans. That's Papadopolous, if anybody is a threat to stablity its him.

This mentality i call it fascist .The Turkish fascist regime say very simple mine is mine and yours is mine because is already planning (with TPAO) to do the same off in the occupied Cyprus (and has this right of course) but this is not enough they want also to have share from the free areas of Cyprus.

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=65399.

On the other hand we have a puppet Greek government  to support a fake greek-turkish friendship that is not based in the mutual respect.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 09:25
And i guess that International law, that the entire civilised world is living by,  is different from Turkeys. Because the EU made a announcement supporting the right of the Republic of Cyprus to act as he wants.

Edited by perikles - 05-Feb-2007 at 09:26
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 12:31

For the intarnational agreement nobody has resigned. The deal has been signed by the three parts and now Israel is ready to join.

Lebanon has re-trackted, israel doesn't have anything to do with it and yesterday two Israeli-Turkish citizens were arrested in Egypt...

But you didn't answer me why the Turks are threatens us for war if we expploit Thasos oil and Ionian sea?

What are you going on about.

And Republic of Cyprus is an legal independent country and according to international laws can exploit the oil in their region as  they like.

Its a legal independant country which rejected a UN plan for the island's re-unification, today a two state solution is the only realistic approach so TRNC will become a legal independant state pretty soon.

Antioxos
This mentality i call it fascist .
The Turkish fascist regime

Fascist? do you know what the word means, if you want an introduction into facsism look no further than Papadopolous with his links to the outright proud Eoka fascist movement hell-bent on plans like Akritas and Enosis wiping out all Turks on the island and uniting the island with Greece.

If you have a problem with fascism why arn't you critiscing this fascist, he is actually a disaster for Greek Cyprus and will be the reason Trnc get's recognition.  As long as he's in charge things look good for Trnc.

Albert Pine

konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 13:25
Originally posted by DayI

It is very normal for Turkey to protect his interests by all his means. 

Absolutely. No one denies Turkey this right.  Agression in the area and the threat of war against all your neighbors is a different thing.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 13:27

Yeah, sure. Beware of the great expansionistic power of Cypriot president Papadopulos and the mighty Cypriot military! They're coming to get you!Tongue
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 13:44

For the intarnational agreement nobody has resigned. The deal has been signed by the three parts and now Israel is ready to join.

Lebanon has re-trackted, israel doesn't have anything to do with it and yesterday two Israeli-Turkish citizens were arrested in Egypt...

But you didn't answer me why the Turks are threatens us for war if we expploit Thasos oil and Ionian sea?

What are you going on about.

What part of his question don't you understand? Turkey has stated casus belli against Greece if the latter exploits the oil deposits in the Aegean WITHIN Greece's own territorial waters. You always avoid questions that don't seem to "suit" you.

And Republic of Cyprus is an legal independent country and according to international laws can exploit the oil in their region as  they like.

Its a legal independant country which rejected a UN plan for the island's re-unification,

the rejection of the UN plan has nothing to do with Cyprus' sovereignity; she is entitled to making these decisions EXACTLY because she's sovereign

today a two state solution is the only realistic approach so TRNC will become a legal independant state pretty soon.

In your dreams maybe

Antioxos

Fascist? do you know what the word means, if you want an introduction into facsism look no further than Papadopolous with his links to the outright proud Eoka fascist movement hell-bent on plans like Akritas and Enosis wiping out all Turks on the island and uniting the island with Greece.

If you have a problem with fascism why arn't you critiscing this fascist, he is actually a disaster for Greek Cyprus and will be the reason Trnc get's recognition.  As long as he's in charge things look good for Trnc.

You're accusing Papadopoulos of having Enosis visions? Are you serious? You seem willing to go to unbelievable lengths in order to make an argument.  And how "well" things are going for the  "TRNC"  shows in the situation of the economy, the soon-to-be- ousting of Denktas from power (even his own party recognizes that Denktas' uncompromizing attitude is hurting Turk-Cypriot's interests) and the continuing international isolation of your "legitimate" "TRNC". Get real and get to the negotiating table. That's only when things will improve for the Cypriot turks.
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 14:49

Antioxos

Well this damn fascist Papadopoulos (was elected thorough democratic election) give RoC passport to thousands TCs ,thousands of TCs visiting hospitals in the south, form the 40 babies in the intensive care unit for premature babies in Makario Hospital 16 were TCs and about 10-15k of TCs  work in the south all these from this damn fascist Papadopoulos  i cannot imagine what will hapen if he was a democratLOL.(and if the iron curtain was lifted from the Turkish army)
Personally if the Greek government had this kind of aggressive (fascist) behavior against  neighbor countries  i would be against it ( i m not a fascist)
I m expecting from you to take thesis about the position  of the Turkish
 government against a small sovereign country member of the UN Cyprus.
By the way sometime Turkey will ask the vote of the Greek and Cypriot people to become a full member of E.U.Dont  you thin that Turkey must behave more friendly to these countries.

Edited by Antioxos - 05-Feb-2007 at 15:17
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 15:21
Konstan
You're accusing Papadopoulos of having Enosis visions? Are you serious? You seem willing to go to unbelievable lengths in order to make an argument.  And how "well" things are going for the  "TRNC"  shows in the situation of the economy, the soon-to-be- ousting of Denktas from power (even his own party recognizes that Denktas' uncompromizing attitude is hurting Turk-Cypriot's interests) and the continuing international isolation of your "legitimate" "TRNC". Get real and get to the negotiating table.

Are you serious? Denktas? don't you even know that it's Talat that is in power Confused

The negotiation table, sorry mate but that's now history and the Greek Cypriots have nobody to blame except themselves. Stop blaming everybody else and feeling sorry for yourselves, Papadopolous has created this mess for himself. What have you got against two states? it's the future.

Papadopolous an old member of Eoka,  their policies and action in the 1960's to 74 were incredibly fascist, I mean common.

Albert Pine

perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 03:22
Talat? now who is kiding? Talat was the right hand of Denktas. For years working in Turkish inteligence. Now I don't think anybody here to believe that the illegal turkish occupation in nothern Cyprus (According to UN) is being govern by politicians. Everybody in illegal government are ex soldiers and agents.  But anyway. The examples of the friendly behaviour of the citizens  and the government of the republic of cuprus (the fascists as you called) are many.Tell us one good thing that The oposite site made(the democratics) ?
Anyway in order for the Turkey to be member of EU OUGHT TO respect the international laws, treats and respect their neighbors.  I won't refer to human rights and to minorities. So behave and you are welcome to modern civilized Europe.
ps. One question. How come a democratic country like Turkey wants to join a union that is full of fascist countries like Greece, Cyprus, France, Austria etc(according to you of course)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>