Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do you believe that Turkey will enter EU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Poll Question: Turkey in EU
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [6.56%]
14 [22.95%]
5 [8.20%]
1 [1.64%]
7 [11.48%]
30 [49.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you believe that Turkey will enter EU
    Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 09:11
They have Churches in Alanya and Marmaris Smile
formal?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 09:52
Originally posted by Alparslan

Turks have lived together with many religions and different cultures from the beginning.
yeah as equals right? 'in peace and harmony' as long as the ottomans/turks were at the top.

Ask to a Swedish for example such as "when did you have a mosque in Sweden?"
apsarslan, why choose to pick on Sweden? it has a multicultural policy. You could of chosen Austria or Germany, even better France they suck at stuff like this, but sweden?

Very interesting !!! But if you ask them they are the expert of multiculturalism, they can try to teach you how to become a multicultural society bla bla bla.... (if you are stupid you may believe in them). They can even "try" to teach you how to manage multiculturalism in a Muslim society. For example what you should do with Kurds in your country?

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

It is amazing to see that  Swedish politicians  think they can lecture Turks on multiculturism, considering the fact that they built a mosque in 1984, wheras Turks have been living next to churches for almost up to 1000 years
They take a perspective of a country that has such a policy, so thats their point of view.

anyway when has Sweden lectured turkey on what to do?

We also learn from the link above that "But while the mosque has been a target for attacks since its founding, ......"
so what? Australia and Canada have even better policies, but there still is racism in our countries. multiculturalism is a government policy that accepts plurality within its own people and seeks way to manage that. If segments of the population don't accept that, it has nothing to do with the policies. The difference being the government policy, not unavoidable racism which already exist everywhere.

That article also talks of Islamic radicalism amongst some of the immigrant youth, the same bigoted attitudes that despise the concept of plurality and they aint ethnic swedes..

What kind of ideology can be florish from Swedish political culture? Basically racism, social Darwinism, fascism.... You shouldn't be suprised if you can have sterilization program to "improve Swedish society" until 1970s' by the hands of Social Democrats.... Imagine what kind of people can be Swedish racists.
Australia use to take the kids of our aboriginals and raise them amongst white families, at the time they thought they were dong the right thing. Such things are unimaginable today in this country. My point is, we all have ugly pasts full of misguided actions and they have little do with the debate, so talk about today if your want to be relevant.

Once you are infected with nationalism which was flourished by Europe there is no way to turn back. Turks get the infection at the latest stage. But we still preserve some values of our past multicultural society of Ottoman Empire which was the last classical empire of the world history.
What values, please educate me on what values that are persevered? The Turkish republic AFAIK, has none of those ottoman multicultural traits, in your constitution (like the French) turkey is indivisible right? everyone is a turk and turk is the language. No millet system , no pluralism, no multiculturalism.

That is why we can walk in the funeral shouting "we are all Armenians" in the streets after a Turkish Armenian journalist is killed. More than 100.000 people.... Many more could not participate the funeral since it was a working day.
I was very impressed, such displays of sympathy can only bode well for the future

Even if we have lost some values of our past, we are still more tolerant, civilised than European societies. I do not expect you accept it. In fact I do not care if you accept it or not. I am only saying my opinions.
we can agree to disagree here

But no one is more civilized than the other. Its a very unhealthy way to view the world.

Edited by Leonidas - 25-Jan-2007 at 09:56
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 17:44
Originally posted by Leonidas

Once you are infected with nationalism which was flourished by Europe there is no way to turn back. Turks get the infection at the latest stage. But we still preserve some values of our past multicultural society of Ottoman Empire which was the last classical empire of the world history.
What values, please educate me on what values that are persevered? The Turkish republic AFAIK, has none of those ottoman multicultural traits, in your constitution (like the French) turkey is indivisible right? everyone is a turk and turk is the language. No millet system , no pluralism, no multiculturalism.

It was the same with the Ottomans, who-ever came from Ottoman lands was called Turk or Arab, so whats the difference?

Did Ottomans had multiculturalism? Look at your own and to us, do we have such a big differences? A primitive example of culture are folksongs, the folklore or dances -are there any big differences? You play baglamas - I play baglama, you dance Sirtaki - I dance Zeybek (with similar moves), etc.

Turkey do continue Ottoman millet system, only it hasn't Greek and Armenian minority.
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 00:37
Originally posted by DayI

Did Ottomans had multiculturalism? Look at your own and to us, do we have such a big differences? A primitive example of culture are folksongs, the folklore or dances -are there any big differences? You play baglamas - I play baglama, you dance Sirtaki - I dance Zeybek (with similar moves), etc.

Turkey do continue Ottoman millet system, only it hasn't Greek and Armenian minority.

Folksongs are not primitive examples of a culture. They are the least degenerated examples.

Sirtaki is invented in 20th century from the Turkish zeybek songs. The name itself zeybek (seymen; root is the same, suffix is bek - bey) is Turkish, baglama are Turkish. Ciftetelli is Turkish and Greeks are also calling it as ciftetelli. The same thing for Kasap Havasi. Theye are all Turkish.

There is not a millet system in Turkey as in the Ottoman Empire.
Armenianstyle View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote Armenianstyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 01:12
i think turkey will never be in UN for several reasons

1. Armenian Genocide
2. Kurdish Problem
3. Cyprus
4.Blockade against Armenia
5. no Freedom of speech in the country.
6. and lataly the assasination of hrant dink.

this is my opinion.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 07:04
its EU not the UN.

1. Armenian issues are not important enough for the EU, they don't like it but wont stop the process because of it.
  2. maybe
  3. its a member so yes it is
  4. Like 1
  5. There is one law that needs to be scrapped but this is totally fixable and within turkeys capabilities.
  6. Dink wont effect the EU process, though his assassination may be used by Erdogan to combat what he calls the 'deep state'.
The role of the military (and policies under its influence) is the biggest issue, Armenian relations is not central to the process. I'm not saying it isn't important, it has little direct impact  on  the EU membership, any effect it has would be on the indirect level of perception.

Edited by Leonidas - 30-Jan-2007 at 07:05
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 08:35

EU needs Turkey more than Turkey needs EU, and Armenian problem is not a problem, becouse many other countries have the same kind of problems. Assasination of Hrant Dink has never been a guarantee for the Freedom of Speech in Turkey. In fact if there was not a Freedom of Speech in Turkey, He would not evel be alloud to write in Turkey. And the other think, name me a single Azerbaijani, or Turkish journalist living in Armenia and saying that Armenian blood is bad (This is not my words, this his Hrant Dinks, that is the reason Ogun decided to assasin him).

History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 08:38
"And the other think, name me a single Azerbaijani, or Turkish journalist living in Armenia and saying that Armenian blood is bad (This is not my words, this his Hrant Dinks, that is the reason Ogun decided to assasin him)."

I'm kind of positive Hrant Dink didn't mean that Turkish blood is bad. You're taking it out of context.

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 08:54
No he didnt say that
He said that He has a Turkish blood in his vines and that the blood is bad. No I respect him and I am really angry on his assasination. That is what Ogun Samast - the killer said, and I am not taking it out of anything,  I dont even care.
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 09:15
Originally posted by Kerimoglu

EU needs Turkey more than Turkey needs EU

I wonder, do you really believe it?

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 09:41

in Turkey. And the other think, name me a single Azerbaijani, or Turkish journalist living in Armenia and saying that Armenian blood is bad (This is not my words, this his Hrant Dinks, that is the reason Ogun decided to assasin him).

This has been clarified earlier. Dink never said that. Read below kotumeyil replying to Alpaslan on thie same quote:

Originally posted by kotumeyil

"The poisoned blood of Turks which will be poured can be replaced by fresh blood of Armenians in Armenia"

This is a wrong quote. The true one is: "The poisoned blood of Turks (edit: he means the blood which will get rid of Turks, i.e.  always dealing with Turks with enmity) which will be poured can be found in the noble vein which will be established by Armenians with Armenia"

Did you read the whole article Alparslan?  He was claiming that the Armenian Diaspora should contact with Armenia in order to preserve their national identity and culture instead of what they are doing today (trying to pass genocide bills etc) which poisons Turks' blood (edit he says he meant the Armenian blood poisoned with the enmity towards Turks).

If you manipulate what he wrote and take an irrelevant quote, it's not a surprise that such assassinations happen.

Also he say that he meant the poison in the Armenian blood (enmity towards Turks)

In Turkish "Trkten boşalacak zehirli kanın...." can be both understood as "The poisened blood of Turks that will be poured" and "the poisened blood that will get rid of Turks...". If you read the article you'll see that he absolutely means the 2nd one)

Edited by Yiannis - 30-Jan-2007 at 09:42
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 09:52

He said that He has a Turkish blood in his vines and that the blood is bad.

I'm quoting myself from another thread:

Originally posted by kotumeyil

"The poisoned blood of Turks which will be poured can be replaced by fresh blood of Armenians in Armenia"
This is a wrong quote. The true one is: "The poisoned blood of Turks (edit: he means the blood which will get rid of Turks, i.e.  always dealing with Turks with enmity) which will be poured can be found in the noble vein which will be established by Armenians with Armenia"

Did you read the whole article Alparslan?  He was claiming that the Armenian Diaspora should contact with Armenia in order to preserve their national identity and culture instead of what they are doing today (trying to pass genocide bills etc) which poisons Turks' blood (edit he says he meant the Armenian blood poisoned with the enmity towards Turks).

If you manipulate what he wrote and take an irrelevant quote, it's not a surprise that such assassinations happen.

Also he say that he meant the poison in the Armenian blood (enmity towards Turks)

In Turkish "Trkten boşalacak zehirli kanın...." can be both understood as "The poisened blood of Turks that will be poured" and "the poisened blood that will get rid of Turks...". If you read the article you'll see that he absolutely means the 2nd one)

As you can see, he didn't say Turkish blood was dirty; on the contrary, he advised the Armenians to get rid of enmity against Turks and keep close ties with Armenia in order to keep their culture alive. You don't een bother to read his article and keep blaming him.
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 12:49
Ok, I understood, and read the real article. Thanks. But it will still be hard for many people to understand the real mean.

Edited by Kerimoglu - 30-Jan-2007 at 12:59
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 17:27
Isn't a precondition to joing EU an open border with all your neighbors?
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 07:50
I dont knwo about that. Cyprus doesnt btw, but they're the member. Yes, Feanor, I really believe that and I have reasons for it.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 08:02
Originally posted by mamikon

Isn't a precondition to joing EU an open border with all your neighbors?
just for EU members, that is they need to have open borders (free trade) with all members.

hence the Cyprus road block. So this is irrelevant to Armenia.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 11:14
Yes, Feanor, I really believe that and I have reasons for it.
What are these reasons? This myth that EU needs Turkey more than Turkey needs EU has been developed inside Turkey for internal reasons of pride. In fact I don't think EU needs Turkey at all. If it weren't for the US and UK Turkey's negotiations would probably have stopped completely. I would say EU doesn't need nor want Turkey, unless Turkey wants to obey certain EU requirements so as to become an acceptable applicant. Otherwise Turkey would just be a big problem for EU.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 12:02
1. Turkey situates on the norders with Iran, Iraq, and Suria. Everyone knows its military power and that would guarantee EU's security from those regions. It would play also a big political role in dealing with those countries.

2.Turkey would be the 1st Muslim country entering the union, and that would show their tolerant behavior to different religious countries.

3. Turkey is economically fast growing country which is not weaker (economically) than most of the countries in EU (ex. Spain, Greece, Latvia, Czech Repiblic, Slovenia, Romania and etc.).

4. Turkey would be a bridge between Asia and Europe, it would connect two civilizations.

5. Great tourism resources of Turkey would be reached much more easier. Turkish beer and tobacco would go to Europe without any more taxes.

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 15:14

1. Turkey situates on the norders with Iran, Iraq, and Suria. Everyone knows its military power and that would guarantee EU's security from those regions. It would play also a big political role in dealing with those countries.

2.Turkey would be the 1st Muslim country entering the union, and that would show their tolerant behavior to different religious countries.

3. Turkey is economically fast growing country which is not weaker (economically) than most of the countries in EU (ex. Spain, Greece, Latvia, Czech Repiblic, Slovenia, Romania and etc.).

4. Turkey would be a bridge between Asia and Europe, it would connect two civilizations.

5. Great tourism resources of Turkey would be reached much more easier. Turkish beer and tobacco would go to Europe without any more taxes.

You put Romania and Spain to the same bucket. I think You would need economy lesson. Turkey is much weaker ecomically than Spain and most of the countries You've mentioned. Fast growth is not the main issue constituing strong economy. It is a characteristic of developing countries. Well developed countries rarely have fast growth.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2007 at 15:39

What do Turkey and EU have in common about that region? A common goal? A common enemy? No, no.

Maybe, but this is an obstacle at the same time.

Still, Turkey is far away from EU's economical standards. And it has a huge unemployed, young population. EU cannot digest that.

Just a stupid cliche.

A minor advantage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>