Print Page | Close Window

Was there a Dorian Invasion?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9940
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 10:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Was there a Dorian Invasion?
Posted By: St. Francis of Assisi
Subject: Was there a Dorian Invasion?
Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 16:00
Beginning about 1150 BC, the Dorians, a Hellenic group from the north of present-day Greece, invaded the Mycenaean civilization. In mythology, their coming is symbolized by the return of the Heraklides.

However, the razing of several Mycenaean centers to the ground, thought to be a result of the Dorians, is now in doubt, as the destruction of the centers took place before the arrival of the Dorians. The only certain evidence we have of a Dorian influx is the change in pottery, the suppression of the Mycenaean language, and the advent of iron. However, all these, are more evident of a Dorian assimilation and migration than of a Dorian invasion.

So, I pose the question: Was there a Dorian invasion, or a Dorian migration?

-------------
Cheers, and Good Mental Health,
Herr Saltzman

Replies:
Posted By: akritas
Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 16:31

According Herodotus mother home of Dorians (Hylleis, Pamphyloi, and the Dymanes) during the Deucalion Kingdom were in the Pthiotis (middle Greece, close to Thessalia)  and during Doros Kingdom were in the Histiaiotis (Thessalia) region. When Cadmeians they turned out from there, Dorians it dwelt in Pindos and was called Makednian.

Thence moved afterwards to Dryopis (middle Greece)  and from Dryopis it came finally to Peloponnesus (displacing the native Achaeans), and began to be called Dorian.

Dorians was a tribe migrated from its place to other and  in any direction (Macedonia, Thessaly, Peloponnisos, Rhodos, Crete  e.t.c.).

Now if we accept Herodotus work, Mythology (as you said) and finally the archaeological data, we found that Dorians never invaded outside to inside.

The Dorians originated from north, northwestern Greece ( Macedonia and Epirus). From these points they began to invade toward the south, into the center of mainland Greece, and then to the Peloponnesian, and the southern Aegean islands. Once their invasions of central Greece ceased, their descent to southern Greece produced waves of invasions through the Peloponnesus, into Crete, and westward to Rhodes. Dorian invasion in the Peloponnese is dated on the basis of the catalogues of the Spartan kings to 1148 B.C. or 1104 B.C. according to two different calculations, that little differ from the years 1125 B.C. or 1120 B.C. provided by archaeological data concerning the same event

more in

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5730&PN=6 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5730& ;PN=6

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 16:56
The Mycenaean civilization collapsed before the Dorians came. As such, the Dorians were not the cause of their collapse, and the associated destruction is no longer associated with Dorians. Then, the Dorians would be a migration in my opinion not an invasion.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 17:33
Saint: repeating a pre-concieved idea is not any reasoning much less evidence.

Akritas has replied with solid data. Honor his knowledge with a good reasoned reply or a humble acceptance.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 17:49
The destruction was before the Dorians. You want evidence?

Here is a list of significant sites destroyed:

(1) The so-called "houses outside the walls" at Mycenae (House of the Oil Merchant, House of Shields, House of Sphinxes, West House), located on a series of terraces south of Grave Circle B, were destroyed by fire in LH IIIB1 (1300-1230 BC). Wace concluded, from the evidence of stirrup jars filled with oil whose necks had been smashed off, that the fire was purposefully set after oil had been poured over the basement of the House of the Oil Merchant.

(2) The so-called "Potter's Shop" at Zygouries, probably a country mansion or even a small palace, was destroyed by fire in the LH IIIB1 period (1300-1230 BC).

(3) The "palace" and citadel of Gla were destroyed by fire. Recent excavations at the site by Iakovides have confirmed that this destruction occurred early in the LH IIIB period (1300-1190 BC), at which time the Copaïc Basin may well have been reflooded.

(4) There are some grounds for believing that part, if not all, of the later or so-called "New" Palace at Thebes was destroyed at this time, although not by fire.

Here are constructions conducted during the 13th century:

(1) The fortifications at Mycenae were strengthened and an underground water supply system was added, presumably to allow the defenders to withstand a protracted siege (Phases 2 and 3 in the evolution of the citadel at Mycenae).

(2) The fortifications at Tiryns were strengthened, the citadel was substantially enlarged by the addition of the Unterburg (Lower Citadel), the storage facilities within the fortified area were enormously expanded with the construction of the East and South Galleries, in addition to numerous vaulted chambers within the thickness of the Unterburg's fortification wall, and an underground water supply system was again added in a final stage of construction to give the fortress adequate resources in the case of a prolonged siege (Phases 2 and 3 in the evolution of the citadel at Tiryns).

(3) Cyclopean fortifications were constructed around the Acropolis in Athens, and in a late stage of the LH IIIB period a subterranean water supply system was added to this citadel as well.

(4) A massive program of fortification was initiated at the Isthmus of Corinth in the form of a wall which was evidently intended to seal off the Peloponnese from invasion by land forces from the north. The surviving evidence suggests that this enormously ambitious project was never completed.

It is clear that the Mycenaeans were being destroyed before the Dorians -the only new constructions in the 13th century were for defensive measures.

Mycenae and Tiryns were both destroyed shortly after 1190 BC, possibly due to an earthquake that affected the entire Argolid plain. The lower town of Tiryns was actually flooded.

Nauplion, Berbati, Prosymna, and Midea, were all destroyed in the same event -an earthquake.

Nemea-Tsoungiza and Zygouries were abandoned around the same time.

That's just in the Argolid.

The Mycenaean civilization collapsed far before the Dorians.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 18:01

Your thread is the Dorian Invasion or when happened  the collapse of Mycenaean civilization ?

Dorian Invasion happened in the Geometric Period when the Mycenaen collapse done in the late bronge age according the archaelogical evidence.The collapse of Mycenaean civilization was not an isolated occurrence.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 18:08
I am showing that seeing as the only evidence for an "invasion" predates the Dorians, and the collapse of the Mycenaeans, the Dorians did not "invade" Mycenaean Greece and destroy it.

As such, there is then no evidence that there was a Dorian invasion as opposed to a Dorian migration. Of course, you can feel free to prove me wrong.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 18:10
Originally posted by akritas

Your thread is the Dorian Invasion or when happened  the collapse of Mycenaean civilization ?

It is an offshot of the Sea Peoples thread. He beleieves that Mycenean Greeks were not at the core of the Sea Peoples but rather their victims. He also seems to beleive that it was the Sea Peoples and not the Dorians who destroyed the Mycenean civilization.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 18:14
Saint: while I see your knowledge, I don't see any fact that points to something diferent than pressure from the North (Dorians).

If we follow the Greek myth (return of the Heraklides), these Heraklides (who supposedly lead the Dorian invasion) wee trying to take Mycenae and Argos for several generations - that may be a whole century or even more.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 18:17
The archaeological evidence for the Dorians begins after the destruction of the Mycenaeans has occurred. The Dorians did not cause said destruction. The Watcher-by-the-Sea tablets suggest that the enemy attacked by sea from the south. The attempt to seal off the Peloponessus suggests they also attacked from the North. They were not a single tribe, but many. The Sea Peoples were not Mycenaeans -Mycenaean mercanaries might have been hired. In the first invasion of the Sea Peoples, they are Italo-Anatolian, and in the second they are Italo-Trojo-Mycenaean, and supported by Libyans.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 18:30
Which are those "Watcher-by-the-sea-Tablets"? What do they say?

Anyhow, take the attitude of a military commander: sealing the isthmus against naval invaders is futile. It can only work if the invaders come mainly or exclussively by land.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 19:47
Maju,

The sealing of the isthmus was never completed -it was simply abandoned because, somehow, Corinth was sacked, but not from the North -from the sea. As I said, the cause of the fall of the Mycenaean civilization was probably a self-destructive war, in some tribes of the Sea Peoples, i.e. the Lukka and the Peleset, may have been aggressors, and other tribes, i.e. the Denyen, Weshesh, and Tjekker, may have been refugees from it.

There was no one foreign enemy. There were probably leagues of city states joined together. The Peloponessus and Athens appear to have been allied -these are the "Mycenaeans", and perhaps the Anatolian city-states were allied i.e. the Trojans. As these powerful city states fought with each other, a power vacuum was invaded. There may have been a period of anarchy. After all is said and done, the Dorians come in.

The fact that the isthmus was sealed shows that there were invaders from the North. The fact that Messenia was in danger of an invasion by sea shows that there were seaborne invaders from the south. Taking Homer's Illiad into account, there was a war between the Aegean civilizations of the day. However, this war was not the Aegean civiliztaions vs. the Dorians.

The Watchers-by-the-Sea tablets are Linear B tablets from Pylos that talk about watchers being set up by the sea in Messenia for fear of a naval invasion. Later, the palace of Pylos was burnt, some (Mylonas, 1966) have suggested, by these "pirates".

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 09:34
Originally posted by Maju

It is an offshot of the Sea Peoples thread. He beleieves that Mycenean Greeks were not at the core of the Sea Peoples but rather their victims. He also seems to beleive that it was the Sea Peoples and not the Dorians who destroyed the Mycenean civilization.

Thanks Maju, now I get the picture

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 09:49

Originally posted by St. Francis of Assisi

The archaeological evidence for the Dorians begins after the destruction of the Mycenaeans has occurred. The Dorians did not cause said destruction. The Watcher-by-the-Sea tablets suggest that the enemy attacked by sea from the south. The attempt to seal off the Peloponessus suggests they also attacked from the North. They were not a single tribe, but many. The Sea Peoples were not Mycenaeans -Mycenaean mercanaries might have been hired. In the first invasion of the Sea Peoples, they are Italo-Anatolian, and in the second they are Italo-Trojo-Mycenaean, and supported by Libyans.

Can you tell  me  please where all these mentioned(bold) ?

As about the period that you mention The Late Helladic III (1400-1150 B.c.) or full Mycenaean Late Bronze Age] shows cultural unity at an urban economic level, some sort of "Achaean" political confederacy, and enough enterprise to take over Minoan relations with Egypt and to expand to Sicily, Macedonia, Rhodes, and Cyprus after the destruction of Knossos and other great Minoan cities about 1400. Patriarchal or proto-feudal government and shift in.religious emphasis suggested in Homer for the slow end of the period seem undeveloped compared to palace archives, urban economy, spatial cultural unity, great numbers of collective chamber-tombs to house the dead of an increased population, and improved farming methods (irrigation, etc.).

The Submycenaean (ca. 1180-1080 B.c.) overlaps  the last L.H. III, shows continuous standardized decline which is clear in pottery styles, change in burial rite to single inhumations, further development of such new L.H. I11 culture traits as the violin-bow fibula and leaf-shaped sword, use of iron (cf. Argostoli museum), and increased local diversity.

Though ceramically continuous with the Submycenaean, the Protogeometric (ca. 1100-900 B.c.)" shows more local diversity in cremation, in pottery variants like the "Doric" ware at Asine, in use of iron, and in reoccupation on reduced scale of previously burnt Mycenaean sites. This suits penetration of Dorian and other northwestern highlanders into the circum-Isthmian area, and the great trans-Aegean migrations.

The Geometric period (ca. 950-650 B.C.) takes local diversity in potteryand art styles still further, and shows houses inferior to Mycenaean ones.

So is obvious, without speculations  that Dorian invasion started with the end of the Mucenean Civilization(Geometric Period). And those are some of the archaleogical evidence

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 10:12
The use of iron, introduction of the violin-bow fibula, inhumation burials, and decline in workmanship, are all introduced to the Mycenaean Greeks beginning with the LHIIIC period, and the earliest that has ever been found dates to the very last phases of the LHIIIB2 period. From that, it shows that there may have been some contact with the Dorians as early as 1140 BC, but the earliest migration/invasion took place 1130-1080 BC.

As I showed previously, all major destructions and repopulations of the Mycenaean centers occur during the LHIIIB1 and early LHIIIB2 periods. As such, the Mycenaeans could not have been destroyed by Dorians.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 10:59

Maju,

The sealing of the isthmus was never completed -it was simply abandoned because, somehow, Corinth was sacked, but not from the North -from the sea.

I don't know which is the reason for that conclussion. The way you expose your theories is that you have a pre-concieved idea and therefore everything happened that way (hjow could it be otherwise - ).

But without fact to back your claims, I'm not persuaded.

Technically the Heraklidae invaded the Peloponesos by sea: they crossed the strait of Rio, or so their legend says.

As I said, the cause of the fall of the Mycenaean civilization was probably a self-destructive war, in some tribes of the Sea Peoples, i.e. the Lukka and the Peleset, may have been aggressors, and other tribes, i.e. the Denyen, Weshesh, and Tjekker, may have been refugees from it.

Why?

There was no one foreign enemy. There were probably leagues of city states joined together. The Peloponessus and Athens appear to have been allied -these are the "Mycenaeans", and perhaps the Anatolian city-states were allied i.e. the Trojans. As these powerful city states fought with each other, a power vacuum was invaded. There may have been a period of anarchy. After all is said and done, the Dorians come in.

That's pretty unlikely. The destruction of Troy, which was accompanied surely by that of their Hittite allies, left Asia Minor without sizeable powers - and despite the Phrygian and Lydian "interregnum" it would be that way until the Ottomans. I don't think Myletus could invade Greece on its own - or with the Lycian pirates only.

Sure that the situation was more complex but not what you say.

The fact that the isthmus was sealed shows that there were invaders from the North. The fact that Messenia was in danger of an invasion by sea shows that there were seaborne invaders from the south. Taking Homer's Illiad into account, there was a war between the Aegean civilizations of the day. However, this war was not the Aegean civiliztaions vs. the Dorians.

The Watchers-by-the-Sea tablets are Linear B tablets from Pylos that talk about watchers being set up by the sea in Messenia for fear of a naval invasion. Later, the palace of Pylos was burnt, some (Mylonas, 1966) have suggested, by these "pirates".

That's true: I was ignorant about these tablets but they do not prove that the actual invaders came from the sea, specially when we do have accounts that say otherwise. Not a single mythological account tells of a naval invasion of Greece, they talk about the Dorian invasion from the north - with or without the Heraklidae.

You seem to have built your theories in preconcieved ideas not in facts:  the watcher-by-the-sea tablets don't say that Pylos was destroyed by a naval invasion - instead Greek sources say it was invaded by Dorians from the NE.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 11:41
I will said another hypothetical story as about the collapse. The possibility is that floods and earthquakes together unsettled the Bronze Age world. Eberhard Zangger, a geoarchaeologist in Switzerland, has explored the combined geological and archaeological evidence for such forces in the Late Bronze Age. One compelling example for Zangger is Tiryns, in the Greek Argolid, where he discovered evidence of a massive flood that buried part of the settlement near the end of the period of greatest Mycenaean power.

-------------

Posted By: Maljkovic
Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 15:34

Natural disasters can destroy entire cities and decimate the population, but they cannot destroy entire civilisations on their own. No matter of the magnitude, there will still be people left behind, and they eventually will rebuild, maybe in smaller scale, but highly similar to that which had been destroyed. Only if the destruction is followed by an enemy invasion, will the civilization be changed.

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 16:05

Maljkovic  the collapses  of the Cretan and the Cycleadan Civilizations are the great examples of natural disaster

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 16:46
I suspect that enerally speaking Maljkovic is right. His observation seems very logical.

Crete didn't collapse due to natural disaster only: it was invaded by Greeks. I'm uncertain about Cycladeans. You may want to open a topic or write an article about them - I'm very interested in learning more about the timeline of Cycladean civilization.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 16:59

Maju Knossos felt bacause of Tsunami, that propably created after of an earthquake. And I will open a thread reagarding the Cycladean civilization

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 17:11
Maju soemthing that I forget. Geologists and archaeologists now believe from evidence uncovered in the area and from the effect of the 1883 explosion of the volcano Krakatoa, that a similar volcanic explosion shaped Santorini. The explosion was, however, four times more powerful. It produced the huge bay of Santorini, and as the volcano blew apart and sank, a massive tidal wave as the water rushed in to fill the caldera. The effect of the tidal wave, several hundred feet high, was felt as far away as Spain. It is now acknowledged that this volcanic eruption was responsible for the destruction of the Minoan civilization on Crete. Dust and ash from the volcano coupled with earthquakes and the massive tidal wave would have obliterated crops and life leaving the magnificent Minoan civilization in ruins.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 18:25

Just one or two notes on the above mentioned.

1) Greek 'tribes' were obviously a part of the Sea People. The 'Danuna' are identified as the 'Danaoi', most consider the 'Ekwesh' to be the 'Acheans' due to a similar to a Hittite term used to describe them. There are also several Egyptian and Hebrew texts that refer to the 'Peleshet' comming from 'Caphor' that has been identified as Crete.
In addition we could note several archeologic finds such as pottery, buildings and place names that are very similar if not identical to Greek of that era.

2) The only area that has been recorded to have been affected by the Minoan-Athenea war was these two areas. This ended with a result the 'surrender' of Athens that was struck by plague and the agreement of sending 14 youths (half male half female) every nine year to be sacrificed to the Minotaur. While this is obviously a symbolization for something else, I really can't say what. (unless we believe that the beast did exist)

3)The conception of a Dorian invasion is an outdated theory. Besides archeologic finds that can link their presence prior to the theorized invasion or arrival.
For example:
Dispite the unexplainable insistance of refering to an introduction of a new type of sword and of the fibula (an early form of the safety-pin) by the invaders (either foreign or domestic), both are found in Mycenean contexts before any of the theorized disasters . Changes in customs which did occured after 1200 B.C.:
the use of iron, cremation rather than inhumation, and single or double burials in  stone-lined graves (cists) instead of multiple burials in chamber tombs, all these took place gradually and do not seem to be related to one another (Hooker 1976)

It should also be mentioned that there are also written records, Homer clearly mentions Dorians in his Iliad. book 2.654 and 665 or we could look into the Doric linguistic elements found in Linear B' tablets as Prof. Chantzidakis has noted that clearly indicate their presence.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 20:45
I don't know which is the reason for that conclussion.

Really, or are you just being difficult? The wall at the Isthmus was abandoned, after the sacking of Corinth. The enemy could not come from the north because their was a giant wall being built blocking off the isthmus, and, moreover, there is no evidence that there was a struggle near the wall. The only other way to reach Corinth is by sea.

Technically the Heraklidae invaded the Peloponesos by sea: they crossed the strait of Rio, or so their legend says.

Would you care to substantiate that? Show us their legend, from an ancient source, and where it says that. Moreover, explain to use at what time mythology superceded archaeology.

That's pretty unlikely. The destruction of Troy, which was accompanied surely by that of their Hittite allies, left Asia Minor without sizeable powers - and despite the Phrygian and Lydian "interregnum" it would be that way until the Ottomans. I don't think Myletus could invade Greece on its own - or with the Lycian pirates only.

The greatest written record surviving from that period, the Illiad, talks about a self-destructive war. Troy was destroyed around the same time as the other Mycenaean city-states, about fifty years before the Dorians. Put two and two together -the Mycenaean city states, and the Anatolian ones, had a self-destructive war. I never proposed Miletus invaded Greece. I propose that the Anatolian city-states fought with the Mycenaean ones, and mutually self destroyed their civilization. Hittite civilization fell after the fall of Troy, destroyed not only by the Sea Peoples, but also by barbarian invaders from the west and north.

That's true: I was ignorant about these tablets but they do not prove that the actual invaders came from the sea, specially when we do have accounts that say otherwise. Not a single mythological account tells of a naval invasion of Greece, they talk about the Dorian invasion from the north - with or without the Heraklidae.

Maju, when did mythology supercede archaeology? The Dorian invasions occurred after 1140 BC, and that was when the return of the Heraklidae was dated. The tablets warn of an invasion by the sea, and after they are found, Pylos is destroyed, and probably not from the North, where a wall was blocking the Isthmus. There is no evidence that the Dorians destroyed the Myceanean civilization, or else the Mycenaean civilization would have survived until the time of the Dorians, when it was destroyed ffity years prior. As for the mythological account, they are not relevant. But, if you want some, here they are:

1. Minos invaded Athens from Crete by sea.
2. Greeks invaded Troy from Mycenae by sea.
3. Minos invaded Sicily from Crete by Sea.
4. Heracles invades Troy by sea.
5. Theseus invades Crete by sea.
6. Theseus and Heracles invade the land of the Amazons by sea.

You seem to have built your theories in preconcieved ideas not in facts:  the watcher-by-the-sea tablets don't say that Pylos was destroyed by a naval invasion - instead Greek sources say it was invaded by Dorians from the NE.

You are basing your entire knowledge of the era on one source- the myth of the return of the Heraklidae. Greek sources speak of several wars between the Mycenaeans at the end of the Age of Heroes. The watcher-by-the-sea-tablets say that there was a threat of Pylos being destroyed by sea. The Dorians did not invade by sea, nor did they ever attempt to invade by sea.

Greek 'tribes' were obviously a part of the Sea People. The 'Danuna' are identified as the 'Danaoi', most consider the 'Ekwesh' to be the 'Acheans' due to a similar to a Hittite term used to describe them. There are also several Egyptian and Hebrew texts that refer to the 'Peleshet' comming from 'Caphor' that has been identified as Crete.

You are quite right. These are my identifications of the Sea Peoples:

1. Teresh: Tyrrhenoi
2. Shekelesh: Sikels
3. Shardana: Sardinians
4. Peleset: Cretans
5. Danuna: Danaans
6. Ekwesh: Ahhiyyawwa (from Anatolia)
7. Lukka: Lycians
8. Tjekker: Teucri
9. Weshesh: Wilusa
10. Meshwesh: Libyans

As you can see, three of the tribes are Italic, four are Anatolian, one is Cretan, and only one is from mainland Greece, if even that (they could also be from Crete). All these locations, Crete, Italy, and Anatolia, are tied together in mythology as being ruled over by the sons of Asterius.

2) The only area that has been recorded to have been affected by the Minoan-Athenea war was these two areas. This ended with a result the 'surrender' of Athens that was struck by plague and the agreement of sending 14 youths (half male half female) every nine year to be sacrificed to the Minotaur. While this is obviously a symbolization for something else, I really can't say what. (unless we believe that the beast did exist)

Yes, but don't forget other wars mentioned, least of all the Trojan War.

The conception of a Dorian invasion is an outdated theory. Besides archeologic finds that can link their presence prior to the theorized invasion or arrival.

I agree it is an outdated theory, but the evidence for their migration only appears after 1140 BC. Does Homer really mention Dorians? Could you post the passage.

But we are agreed, then, that there was no Dorian invasion but a migration?

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 21:43

Maju soemthing that I forget. Geologists and archaeologists now believe from evidence uncovered in the area and from the effect of the 1883 explosion of the volcano Krakatoa, that a similar volcanic explosion shaped Santorini. The explosion was, however, four times more powerful. It produced the huge bay of Santorini, and as the volcano blew apart and sank, a massive tidal wave as the water rushed in to fill the caldera. The effect of the tidal wave, several hundred feet high, was felt as far away as Spain. It is now acknowledged that this volcanic eruption was responsible for the destruction of the Minoan civilization on Crete. Dust and ash from the volcano coupled with earthquakes and the massive tidal wave would have obliterated crops and life leaving the magnificent Minoan civilization in ruins.

Yes, I know that Santorini/Thera was brutal. What I meant is that Cretan civilizaton continues later (Cnossos period) under Greek rule (Linear B script).

Edit: just found this:

Despite numerous and varied arguments by a host of reputable scholars [e.g. Marinatos (1939), Page (1970), Doumas (1974), Luce (1976)] that one or more of the events associated with the period of extreme activity of the Santorini volcano surveyed above [i.e. earthquake(s), ash fall(s), tidal wave(s)] had a direct and disastrous effect on Neopalatial Minoan civilization, the simple facts are that the great earthquake which badly damaged Akrotiri is to be dated quite early in LM IA (either ca. 1650 or ca. 1560 B.C.?), that the entire town was buried in meters of volcanic ash still within the LM IA period (ca. 1625 or ca. 1550/1540 B.C.?), and that the wave of destructions (most of them including fires) which defines the end of the Neopalatial period on Crete and to which the palaces at Mallia, Phaistos, and Zakro all fell victim cannot be dated earlier than LM IB (ca. 1480/1470 B.C.?). Hood [TAW I (1978) 681-690] claims that clear evidence of the earthquake which so severely damaged Akrotiri before the town was buried is to be found at several sites on Crete where it is clearly dated to LM IA. More importantly, tephra from the later eruption of the Theran volcano has been found within the past decade in LM IA contexts on Rhodes (at Trianda) and Melos (at Phylakopi) as well as on Crete itself, ample confirmation that the eruption preceded the LM IB destruction horizon on Crete by a significant amount of time. Thus no direct correlation can be established between the Santorini volcano and the collapse of Neopalatial Minoan civilization.

http://projectsx.dartmouth.edu/classics/history/bronze_age/lessons/les/17.html - Source .

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 22:11

Would you care to substantiate that? Show us their legend, from an ancient source, and where it says that. Moreover, explain to use at what time mythology superceded archaeology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraclidae - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heraclidae

I don't see any substantia archaeological data that justifies your assumptions. Just your own guesses. maybe if you re-read your own posts you would see that.

I never proposed Miletus invaded Greece. I propose that the Anatolian city-states fought with the Mycenaean ones, and mutually self destroyed their civilization. 

So you suggest that the Sea Peoples were the Hittite Empire - as I know of no Anatolian city-states at that time other than Troy and Miletus, both vassals of the Hittites.

Hittite civilization fell after the fall of Troy, destroyed not only by the Sea Peoples, but also by barbarian invaders from the west and north.

Unclear. The only references are Egyptian records that blame the Sea Peoples. Do you have some more data. I would like that you substantiate your many unorthodox claims such as "also by barbarian invaders from the west and north" - I don't deny it, just that you use to give your own ideas as already justified or widely accepted, and that's not necessarily the case.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 22:30
I don't see any substantia archaeological data that justifies your assumptions. Just your own guesses. maybe if you re-read your own posts you would see that.

No substnatial archaeological data? I will repost it here. The destruction of the Mycenaeans took place before the invasion of the Dorians. Here is a catalogue of this destruction (all dating to pre-Dorian times):

Significant Destructions

(1) The so-called "houses outside the walls" at Mycenae (House of the Oil Merchant, House of Shields, House of Sphinxes, West House), located on a series of terraces south of Grave Circle B, were destroyed by fire in LH IIIB1. Wace concluded, from the evidence of stirrup jars filled with oil whose necks had been smashed off, that the fire was purposefully set after oil had been poured over the basement of the House of the Oil Merchant.

(2) The so-called "Potter's Shop" at Zygouries, probably a country mansion or even a small palace, was destroyed by fire in the LH IIIB1 period.

(3) The "palace" and citadel of Gla were destroyed by fire. Recent excavations at the site by Iakovides have confirmed that this destruction occurred early in the LH IIIB period, at which time the Copaïc Basin may well have been reflooded.

(4) There are some grounds for believing that part, if not all, of the later or so-called "New" Palace at Thebes was destroyed at this time, although not by fire.

Significant Constructions

(1) The fortifications at Mycenae were strengthened and an underground water supply system was added, presumably to allow the defenders to withstand a protracted siege (Phases 2 and 3 in the evolution of the citadel at Mycenae).

(2) The fortifications at Tiryns were strengthened, the citadel was substantially enlarged by the addition of the Unterburg (Lower Citadel), the storage facilities within the fortified area were enormously expanded with the construction of the East and South Galleries, in addition to numerous vaulted chambers within the thickness of the Unterburg's fortification wall, and an underground water supply system was again added in a final stage of construction to give the fortress adequate resources in the case of a prolonged siege (Phases 2 and 3 in the evolution of the citadel at Tiryns).

(3) Cyclopean fortifications were constructed around the Acropolis in Athens, and in a late stage of the LH IIIB period a subterranean water supply system was added to this citadel as well.

(4) A massive program of fortification was initiated at the Isthmus of Corinth in the form of a wall which was evidently intended to seal off the Peloponnese from invasion by land forces from the north. The surviving evidence suggests that this enormously ambitious project was never completed.

Evidence from the Linear B Tablets

(1) The "watchers-by-the-sea" tablets from Pylos have been interpreted by some as showing Mycenaean concern over the possibility of a seaborne invasion of Messenia.

The Argolid and Corinthia

(1) A major destruction level within the citadel walls at Mycenae defines the end of the LH IIIB2 ceramic phase. The entire area within the walls appears to have been destroyed by fire and the palace was never rebuilt. The evidence for an earthquake at nearby Tiryns (see below) has led some excavators at Mycenae to attribute this destruction at Mycenae to a contemporary earthquake that had a major impact at all the sites ringing the Argive plain (i.e. at Midea as well; see below).

(2) A major destruction by fire took place within the walls at Tiryns at the end of LH IIIB2 or just possibly in the very earliest stages of LH IIIC. Since the palace was completely excavated by Schliemann and others before modern archaeological practices became standard, it is difficult to be sure that the palace area was not reconstructed and reoccupied in the LH IIIC period. However, there is no compelling evidence to suggest that a Mycenaean palace functioned at Tiryns after this destruction.

The most recent excavations in the Unterburg at Tiryns have provided masses of data for the nature and date of this destruction. The associated pottery seems to be slightly later in date than the pottery from the equivalently massive destruction at Mycenae. Of even greater potential significance is the strong conviction of the German excavators that the destruction at Tiryns was caused by an earthquake rather than being due to human agency. The Greek excavators at Mycenae, Mylonas and Iakovides, have long championed the view that the destruction of terminal LH IIIB at Mycenae was also due to an earthquake. It may be, then, that both Mycenae and Tiryns were destroyed at the same time by a natural disaster, although no final consensus has yet been reached on this point.

Zangger has dated the destruction by flood of the lower town (Unterstadt) at Tiryns to the transition between LH IIIB and LH IIIC. It is as yet unclear what the date of this event should be relative to the citadel's destruction by fire.

(3) At least part, and probably all, of the walled citadel of Midea was destroyed by fire in or at the end of LH IIIB2. This destruction has been connected by Demakopoulou with the earthquake to which roughly contemporary destruction horizons at nearby Mycenae and Tiryns have been attributed.

(4) The small settlement at Iria to the southeast of Nauplion was destroyed by fire in the earliest recognizable stage of LH IIIC.

(5) Both Berbati and Prosymna appear to have been abandoned either late in LH IIIB or early in LH IIIC.

(6) The latest material of Bronze Age date from both Nemea-Tsoungiza and Zygouries is in each case a small amount of LH IIIB2 pottery, but the two sites appear to have been markedly less intensively occupied in this phase than in the preceding LH IIIB1 stage. Both appear to have been abandoned by the beginning of the LH IIIC phase.

Boeotia

(1) Eutresis was abandoned very early in the LH IIIC period.

(2) The bulk of the so-called "New Palace" in Thebes was probably destroyed by fire late in LH IIIB.

Phocis

(1) Krisa was destroyed, although the precise date of the destruction within the LH IIIB to early LH IIIC periods is uncertain.

Laconia

(1) The Menelaion was destroyed by fire at or near the end of the LH IIIB period.

(2) The site of Ayios Stephanos shows no evidence of occupation after the very early LH IIIC period.

Messenia

(1) The palace at Pylos was burnt either late in the LH IIIB period or at some point fairly early in the LH IIIC phase, subsequently never to be rebuilt. Mountjoy (1997) has argued that the pottery from destruction contexts in the palace can be dated quite closely in Argive terms to the transition from LH IIIB to IIIC (her freshly coined "Transitional LH IIIB2/LH IIIC Early" phase).

(2) Nichoria was destroyed late in LH IIIB.

(3) The evidence for massive depopulation in the LH IIIC period is more striking in Messenia than in any other area of southern Greece.

Achaea

There is an apparent population influx into this area during the LH IIIC period, although Papadopoulos' 1978-79 review of the evidence suggests that this may have been somewhat overemphasized by Desborough in 1964. The primary evidence for this influx consists of an increase in tombs in the area during the LH IIIC phase, precisely the reverse of the situation observed in Messenia, Laconia, and even the Argolid at this time.

Ionian Islands

As in Achaea, large numbers of newly constructed LH IIIC tombs, on the island of Kephallenia in particular, suggest a population influx into this area during this period.

Attica

(1) Although the later Athenians were very proud of the fact that they had escaped conquest at the hands of the invading Dorians, a case can nevertheless be made for the violent destruction of the Mycenaean citadel on the Acropolis in the earliest sub-phase of the LH IIIC period, contemporary with the destruction of Iria in the Argolid. Although the archaeological evidence for such a destruction is good, the agent(s) of the destruction cannot be precisely identified and thus the later Athenian boast that they defeated the Dorians may well be true.

(2) The extremely crowded conditions in the LH IIIC cemetery of Perati in eastern Attica suggest that there was probably at least a significant nucleation of population at, if not necessarily a population influx into, this coastal site in this period. The settlement associated with the Perati cemetery may well have been located on the rugged Raphtis island in the middle of Porto Raphti bay, an indication that a settlement on the Mainland itself (as at the nearby site of Brauron in the preceding LH IIIA-B periods) was somehow not safe. Indeed, it is tempting to identify the population buried at Perati as migrants from Brauron and their descendants, since both the settlement and the cemetery at Brauron go out of use at just about the same time as burials begin at Perati.

Cyprus

Although the settlement in quantity of Mycenaean "colonists" on Cyprus during the LH IIIA and IIIB periods is considered doubtful by most scholars, there is no doubt but that the LH IIIC period witnessed at least two major incursions of Mycenaean "refugees" into the island. The first of these is dated early in LH IIIC at the sites of Enkomi, Kition, Palaeokastro Maa, and Sinda, while the second took place perhaps a couple of generations later in advanced LH IIIC.

Conclusions

The areas suffering the violent destruction of major administrative centers in the late LH IIIB period and massive depopulation in the subsequent LH IIIC phase lie along a roughly north-south axis (Boeotia, western Attica, Corinthia, Argolid, Messenia, Laconia). Population influxes, where these have been detected, are in evidence both west (Achaea, Ionian Islands) and east (eastern Attica, Cyprus) of this major north-south axis and have also been claimed further south on Crete. It is, however, too early to establish coherent patterns with any confidence from the limited amount of data currently available. Above all, more information is needed on the course of events in Thessaly and Macedonia at this time. Recent excavations at Assiros and Kastanas in central Macedonia will go some way toward filling the gaps in the evidence, but western Macedonia and Thessaly still remain blank. Evidence from stratified settlement sites occupied during this period in such areas as Achaea, the Ionian islands, and eastern Attica is also highly desirable. Full publication of the long LH IIIC sequence at Lefkandi in Euboea will be very informative, but this site is unlikely to provide much useful information on the transition from LH IIIB to LH IIIC in this area.

GUIDELINE TO DATING:

Approx. date Period
1000 protogeometric
1060–1000 submycenean
1090–1060 LHIIIC late
1130–1090 LHIIIC middle
1190–1130 LHIIIC early
1230–1190 LHIIIB2
1300–1230 LHIIIB1
1350–1300 LHIIIA2
1400–1350 LHIIIA1
1450–1400 LHIIB
1500–1450 LHIIA
1550–1500 LHI

So you suggest that the Sea Peoples were the Hittite Empire - as I know of no Anatolian city-states at that time other than Troy and Miletus, both vassals of the Hittites.

I never suggested the Sea Peoples were the Hittite Empire. I suggest that the Anatolian cities/states (sorry, not city-states) fought with the mainland Greek ones, and that there was a war, both sides were destroyed, and that when invaders from Italy came, many of the refugees from this conflict joined them.

The Hittites were not in control of W. Anatolia. The Trojans, Lycians, and Ahhiyyawa were. These constituted the Tjekker, Weshesh, Lukka, and Ekwesh.

Unclear. The only references are Egyptian records that blame the Sea Peoples. Do you have some more data. I would like that you substantiate your many unorthodox claims such as "also by barbarian invaders from the west and north" - I don't deny it, just that you use to give your own ideas as already justified or widely accepted, and that's not necessarily the case.

From the west were the Phrygians who invade the Hittite Empire. From the north, the Mushki and possibly the Kaskas. From the south, the Sea peoples.

After this date, the power of the Hittites began to decline yet again, as the Assyrians had seized the opportunity to vanquish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitanni" title="Mitanni - Mitanni and expand to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphrates" title="Euphrates - Euphrates while Muwatalli was preoccupied with the Egyptians. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyria" title="Assyria - Assyria now posed equally as great a threat to Hittite trade routes as Egypt had ever been. His son, Urhi-Teshub, took the throne as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mursili_III" title="Mursili III - Mursili III , but was quickly ousted by his uncle, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hattusili_III" title="Hattusili III - Hattusili III after a brief http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_war" title="Civil war - civil war . In response to increasing Assyrian encroachments along the frontier, he concluded a peace and alliance with Rameses II, presenting his daughter's hand in marriage to the Pharaoh. The "Treaty of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kadesh" title="Kadesh - Kadesh ", one of the oldest completely surviving treaties in history, fixed their mutual boundaries in Canaan, and was signed in the 21st year of Rameses (c. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1258_BC" title="1258 BC - 1258 BC ).

Hattusili's son, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudhaliya_IV" title="Tudhaliya IV - Tudhaliya IV , was the last strong Hittite king able to keep the Assyrians out of Syria and even temporarily annex the island of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyprus" title="Cyprus - Cyprus . The very last king, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppiluliuma_II" title="Suppiluliuma II - Suppiluliuma II also managed to win some victories, including a naval battle against the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples" title="Sea Peoples - Sea Peoples off the coast of Cyprus. But it was too late. The Sea Peoples had already begun their push down the Mediterranean coastline, starting from the Aegean, and continuing all the way to Philistia -- taking Cilicia and Cyprus away from the Hittites en route and cutting off their coveted trade routes. This left the Hittite homelands vulnerable to attack from all directions, and Hattusa was burnt to the ground sometime around http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1180_BC" title="1180 BC - 1180 BC following a combined onslaught from Gasgas, Bryges and Luwians. The Hittite Empire thus vanished from the historical record.

By http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1160_BC" title="1160 BC - 1160 BC , the political situation in Asia Minor looked vastly different than it had only 25 years earlier. In that year, the Assyrians were dealing with the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushku" title="Mushku - Mushku pressing into northernmost Mesopotamia from the Anatolian highlands, and the Gasga people, the Hittites' old enemies from the northern hill-country between Hatti and the Black Sea, seem to have joined them soon after. The Mushku or Mushki had apparently overrun Cappadocia from the West, with recently discovered epigraphic evidence confirming their origins as the Balkan "Bryges" tribe, forced out by the Macedonians.

A large and powerful state known as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabal" title="Tabal - Tabal had occupied the region south of these. Their language appears to have been Luwian, related to Hittite, but usually written in hieroglyphics instead of cuneiform. Several lesser city-states extending from here to Northern Syria also used Luwian, although they are sometimes known as "neo-Hittite". Soon after these upheavals began, both hieroglyphs and cuneiform were rendered obsolete by a new innovation, the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet" title="Alphabet - alphabet , that seems to have entered Anatolia simultaneously from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegean_civilization" title="Aegean civilization - Aegean (with the Bryges, who changed their name to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrygia" title="Phrygia - Phrygians ), and from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenicians" title="Phoenicians - Phoenicians and neighboring peoples in Syria.

Ironically, the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydian_language" title="Lydian language - language of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia" title="Lydia - Lydians , spoken in the West of Asia Minor until the 1st century BC, was apparently a linguistic descendant of Hittite, and not Luwian. This and the fact that one of Lydia's kings known to the Greeks bore the Hittite royal name Myrsilis (Mursilis) may indicate that this state was the purest cultural and ethnic continuation of the former Hittites. The last trace of this language persisted until the 5th century AD, according to some Church Fathers, when it was known as the tiny dialect of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isauria" title="Isauria - Isaurian , spoken in only one or two villages.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 07:09

I don't know which is the reason for that conclussion.

Really, or are you just being difficult? The wall at the Isthmus was abandoned, after the sacking of Corinth. The enemy could not come from the north because their was a giant wall being built blocking off the isthmus, and, moreover, there is no evidence that there was a struggle near the wall. The only other way to reach Corinth is by sea.

Key word: being built. Defending a fortress that is not completed is pointless, stupid and borderline suicidal. It would make far more sense to abandon it and fall back to a fort that was completed. Besides, there are three ways to hit Corinth-North, Sea and South. If indeed the enemy crossed the strait of Rio, they would have open access through the southern route, just like Atila the Hun did.

Speaking of Atila, did you know that besides writen evidence, there is basically no archeological remains of the Huns left, in spite of the fact that they were responsible for the fall of an empire? This could be the case here, an attack of an unknown nomadic tribe destroys the Acheans, but leaves no evidence, and then the Dorians come, like Germanic and Slavic tribes did, and settle in the remanents of the lost civilization?

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 09:34
I will refer your massive copy-paste, Saint: http://projectsx.dartmouth.edu/classics/history/bronze_age/lessons/les/28.html - http://projectsx.dartmouth.edu/classics/history/bronze_age/l essons/les/28.html

The conclusions are, of course, inconclussive. For a review of the diferent theories forwarded by scholars, follow the above link. Basically:
  • Andronikos (1954) - a peasant revolution. /Criticism: hardly believable/
  • Vermeule (1960) and Iakovides (1974) - economic crisis caused by Sea Peoples's piracy (disruption of trade). /Cause of ultimate destructon unclear/
  • Desborough (1964) - invasion by land from the North.
  • Mylonas (1966) - separate reasons for each destrution (some of them traceable via the Greek sagas). /Criticism: there is contemporaneity in the destruction/
  • Carpenter (1966) - massive drought. /It may have some base but doesn't adress the main problem of the destruction/
  • Many authors (1975-96) - invaders (based in the appearence of a "coarse pottery") from (ultimately) the Central Danube basin (Urnfields?) /Criticism: the role an interpretation of this ware is unclear and it goes with Myceneans to Cyprus and elsewhere/
  • Winter (1977) - Barbarian invaders don't need to leave significative remains out of destruction, as the study of historical invasions of the Galatians and Slavs show.
  • Betancourt (1976) - Very specialized and therfore fragile Mycenean economy.
  • Drews (1993) - Substantial changes in warfare style (aristocratic chariot -> plebeian javelin) weakened the monarchical state to the point of destruction in some cases. /Criticism: chariots were surely never important in mountainous Greece/
Personally I see the signs of an invasion very clear but, of course there must be diferent opinions. I also think that the invaders were those that we find later: the Dorians.

My only doubt is wether the Dorians are true Greeks or Hellenized barbarians... but that's another story.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 09:45

I can't help but notice that you contradicted your statement.
Originally saying :

"The wall at the Isthmus was abandoned, after the sacking of Corinth. The enemy could not come from the north because their was a giant wall being built blocking off the isthmus, and, moreover, there is no evidence that there was a struggle near the wall."

you read the source correctly to post :

"The surviving evidence suggests that this enormously ambitious project was never completed."

Even though we have no way of proving the first, the second obviously contradicts your originally thesis of this 'feat' being impossible. So actually, the very notion of a Northern invasion very well may have happened.

The greatest written record surviving from that period, the Illiad, talks about a self-destructive war. Troy was destroyed around the same time as the other Mycenaean city-states, about fifty years before the Dorians. Put two and two together -the Mycenaean city states, and the Anatolian ones, had a self-destructive war.

Now this I can actually see some possibility in having happend. The reason for the sack of Troy obviously wasn't Helen, nor some Kings wounded pride for being deceived by his wife.

Theseus invades Crete by sea

Theseus never invaded, the myth suggests that he was selected among the youth given to Minos as the third tribune.

The watcher-by-the-sea-tablets say that there was a threat of Pylos being destroyed by sea. The Dorians did not invade by sea, nor did they ever attempt to invade by sea.

This totally is wrong.
The tablets also known as 'O-KA tablets' mention nothing related to invasions nor preparations. These tablets simply indicate that there was a 'high ranking officer' (there are also suggestions of of a translation as 'rower') with troops stationed on the shores of Messinia.
So the invasion theories, either Doric or other were connected to these tablets by archeologists that literally jumped to the conclusion that there was a preparation. But this in reality could be nothing more than an everyday event.There is also Hooker's theory that has suggested that these tablets are related to agricultural endeavor.

Ekwesh: Ahhiyyawwa (from Anatolia)

Ahhiyawa mentioned in Hittite texts don't seem to be from Anatolia. There are texts that mention Attarissyas the Ahhiyawan attacking Cyprus. The connection to Agammemnon's father Atreus is more than obvious and this is the reason they are believed to be the Acheans.

As you can see, three of the tribes are Italic, four are Anatolian, one is Cretan, and only one is from mainland Greece, if even that (they could also be from Crete). All these locations, Crete, Italy, and Anatolia, are tied together in mythology as being ruled over by the sons of Asterius.

What does 'is Cretan' mean, we are discussing Sea Peoples which are estimated to have appeared and 'invaded' approximately 1200.
So based on archeologic finds we know that Crete at that time had already been conquered by the Myceneans since 1450. So the Peleshet obviously were Greek.

Not that this 'theory' fits the timeline that should be follwed since Minos, based on the date given to his palace ruled sometime around 1600, but who ruled Italy ?

Does Homer really mention Dorians? Could you post the passage.

The exact word used isn't Dorian but he uses 'Herakleide'

Iliad 2.654

" Ôëçðïëåìïò ä' 'Çñáêëåéäçò çõò"
(Tlepolemus, son of Heracles)

Just a suggestion.
Don't you think that there sould be some credit given to 'darthmouth.edu' after all that copy/paste ??

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 12:24
And furthermore, if the threat came from the sea, why build a giant wall to the North? Not much logic in that...

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 19:51
Hold on:

There is no evidence of the Dorians invading as early as 1220-1170 BC. The first mention of the Dorians is far after this. Now, there is no evidence that the Dorians destroyed Mycenaean civilization. Very few people still hold on to that belief, among them Maju. All the evidence points to blocs of Mycenaean cities and states fighting each other.

As for the wall, the enemy could have come by sea and by land -as there was no just one enemy, but many.

About Theseus, you are not familiar with the legend. After Theseus sets foot on Crete, there is a prophecy that he will one day kill the king, and after he becomes king he actually does invade Crete.

On the Watcher-by-the-Sea tablets, they mention that this official was guarding against enemies.

The Ahhiyyawwa were on the shores of Anatolia. Letters from King Mursili II prove this.

As per your Crete observations, they are wrong. Civilization did not end on Crete, it was just Hellenized. However, it was not a vassal of Mycenae. Minos II lived three generations before the Trojan War. You are confusing him with Minos I who founded Crete.

Heraklidae has been interpreted to mean Dorians. But the legends of the descendants of Herakles were created by the Dorians to justify their coming to Greece.

Now, I would like to see some evidence that there was a Dorian invasion, and some evidence that the Dorians did destroy the Mycenaeans. All the evidence points to the contrary.

The only person who holds that the Mycenaeans were destroyed by Dorians was Desbourough (1966), and he did not have access to as much information as now.

I then have two points, and I would like to see anyone post evidence to the contrary:

1. Aegean civilization was destroyed in a series of self-destructive wars, combined with natural calamities. It was not destroyed by a single tribe of invaders from the north or wherever.

2. The Dorians migrated to Greece and filled the power vacuum left by the Mycenaeans. They were not responsible for the collapse of Mycenaean power.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 21:16

First I never mentioned invasion, I clearly mentioned its an outdated theory which does indicate that I don't agree with it. So half your post if directed towards me is an obvious misunderstanding.

Theseus NEVER attacked Crete. I insist you read Apollodorus who is obviously far more qualified than either of us on the exact presentation of the myths.

I managed to find a summary of the text as presented by Perseus.tufts.

"THESEUS. Book III., Chap. XVI., Epitome, I.1-24.

On growing up Theseus quits Troezen for Athens, kills Periphetes, Sinis, 3.16.1., the Crommyonian sow, Sciron, Cercyon and Damactes, Epitome,1-4. Aegeus, instigated by Medea, sends Theseus against the Marathonian bull and offers him a cup of poison, 5-6. Theseus, with the help of Ariadne, conquers the Minotaur, and flying with Ariadne resigns her to Dionysus in Naxos, 7-9, and on the death of Aegeus succeeds to the kingdom of Athens, 10-11. Daedalus and his son Icarus escape from the labyrinth: Icarus falls into the sea, but Daedalus reaches the court of Cocalus, whose daughters kill Minos, 12-15. Theseus marries an Amazon, and afterwards Phaedra. Death of Hippolytus. 16-19. Ixion and his wheel, 20. Battle of the Centaurs and Lapiths, 21. (Zenobius). Caeneus, 22. Theseus goes down to hell with Pirithous, but is freed by Hercules, and being expelled from Athens is murdered by Lyomedes, 23-24."

I do believe Apollodorus would mention the event had it took place.

As for the Ahhiyawa do read what J.D. Hawkins has to say :

"The scattered references to it suggested that it lay across the sea and that its interests often conflicted with those of the Hittites. What is now known of the geography of western Anatolia makes it clear that there could be no room on the mainland for the kingdom of Ahhiyawa. Furthermore, the references to the political interests of Ahhiyawa on the west coast mesh well with increasing archaeological evidence for Mycenaean Greeks in the area, so that it is now widely accepted that "Ahhiyawa" is indeed the Hittite designation for this culture."

http://www.archaeology.org/0405/etc/troy3.html - http://www.archaeology.org/0405/etc/troy3.html

What you say about the Herakleide myth is a mere speculation. Archology has proven to us that these myths, considered as fairy-tales by some do provide significant information of actual events. For example, there is the Romus, Romulus myth that was recently proven to hold alot of truth, we know that the Iliad was real, so was the story of the Argonauts. Why totally discredit this myth and based on what facts ?

As for the O-KA tablets, they mention guarding yes, but not related to a definite invasion which is why I said that this may have very well been an everyday event. I do believe every city state took some kind of measures of precaution against a probable attack from neighbors or foreigners that they traded with..

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 22:03
My post was directed towards you and Maju.

I'm sorry, I had my information wrong. However, I was trying to prove to Maju that there are records of a destruction by sea from mythology.

As for the Heraklidae, there is no mention in Homer's Illiad. "Heraklidae" simply means "Son of Heracles", and Homer was referring to a specific son of Heracles not to any tribe that invaded from the North. The tying in of the arrival of the Dorians to Greece's greatest hero would justify their coming, no?

The "Historical Atlas of the Ancient World" places Ahhiyyawa on the coasts of Anatolia. Every source I've seen does place it there. I don't know where J.D. Hawkins is getting his information.

But I am interested, what is your theory as to the collapse of the Mycenaean civilization, and as to the arrival of the Dorians?

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 23:01
If you are talking to me, Saint, I never said half the things you mean to counter. I never said that civilization ended in Crete with Greek invasion nor I mentioned Theseus.

I believe that the Ahhiyawa are the Achaeans acting as Sea Peoples invading and pillaging the coasts of Anatolia, wether in Cyprus or in Troy.

I also think that the Dorians effectively conquered Mycenae because as, mentioned by Akritas at the start of this topic, the dates of the burnings and the dates given by the sagas are incredibly coincident.

But well, it may be that the Mycenean kings burned their own palaces and told to the Dorians: "come hear and rule our peoples instead of us..."

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 10:06
My last post was directed towards VaZeLoS

The Mycenaeans were a culture not a unified people. You are assuming that the sagas are true, and are seeking to find evidence to support it. You are assuming your hypothesis true and selecting evidence to find it. That is ridiculous.

There were many Mycenaean kings, not all under the rule of Mycenae. The archaeological record shows us that the destruction of Aegean civilization was complete 30-40 years before the Dorians arrived.

So, no, you do not need to twist my words. Would you say that King Priam burnt Troy to the ground? No! The greatest conflict in Western literature is about a part of the self-destructive war that ended Aegean civilization.

On the other hand, there is no evidence of Dorians at the time. There is no evidence that when the Dorians arrived they fought others. The sagas of the Heraklidae were probably crafted by Dorians to justify their arrival. They filled a vacuum that had already been created.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 12:34

If there are two sides in a war, one will be the winner, the other will lose. One will survive no matter what. Same goes for any number of sides, if all Achean city-states fought among themselves, one of them had to win over the others. The only way for all to lose was an intervention of a foreign power, and I don't believe the Sea People were that power.

The wall of Corinth makes even less sense now. Corinth had many neighbours to the South, like Mycenae, Sparta, Tyrinth etc. But to the North there was only Athens. If the war was among Achean city-states, it would make far better logic for Corinthians to build a wall to the South, since the threat was greater from that side.  

Date Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:02
The only city-state that survived was Athens. It would be stupid to attempt to seal off the Peloponesse from the south. In any case, it appears that there were two blocs -the Anatolians, and the Peloponessians. The other city-states may have allied with these tribes. In any case, Corinth was allied with Mycenae.

Now, why does every war have to have one side that survives? Did Russia "win" WWII? It was just as badly beaten as Germany. Mutual self-destruction -a pyrrhic victory.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 00:06
It could well be that the winning side (Greek alliance) got so exausted that it became easy prey, that the pillages were improductive adventures that only left a weak socio-political structure. That winners paid expensive their victory - becoming themselves easy prey for third parties (the Dorians).

Those among you that are more familiar with Grek mythology, what do the sagas say? If I'm not wrong the winners return to their cities to struggle with their (mostly tragic) destinies - but I don't recall the details.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 06:26

Even so, building a wall that seals off a whole peninsula is a very expensive enterprise. And for what? To protect them from Athens?  

From the look of things, it was Athens who need to seal itself off from the rest of the Peloponesean powers who outnumbered her by far.

Maju, that is exactly what I am talking about. The only question is who that power was.

Date Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 07:28

As for the Heraklidae, there is no mention in Homer's Illiad. "Heraklidae" simply means "Son of Heracles"

I must be missing something here, in this topic the use of mythology as an argument seems to have been commonly used and by being so, obviously accepted by all participating 'parties'.

Didn't you ask where he mentions them and did I not post exactly where ?
Besides, what were the Herakleides if not the sons of Herakles that believed their ancestor was deprived of his rights to the throne returned to obtain what was rightfully theirs?
Homer also mentions in Iliad 3.27 :

"for that the other sons and grandsons of mighty Heracles threatened him."
He clearly mentions "sons and gradsons" why are they not part of the Herakleides?

My theory. To be honest I don't have one but this is what I've come to believe on the various theories presented.

I'm sure that the Dorians were 100% Greek and the theory of their invasions has a couple of flaws. But there is an undoubtable alteration in the ruling class of Peloponessos. While we can find Dorian liguistic elements in the Linear B' tablets, the language does become alot more simplifed. But since this takes place 2-3 centuries later, it could be nothing more than simple evolution.

On the Sea People invasion, it is quite interesting that all the areas that were part of the SP. obviously had some kind of connection to Myceneans, either by trade or colonies. Drower for example tells us that while these people are theorized to be connected with Hittites (some have mentioned Canaanite, Nubians see A.Nibbi) these people wear a distinctive type of clothing in all  the depictions of them, their ships and armor is something totally unrelated to the above. The major flaw in this theory is, while they were powerfull enough, to raid and destroy the Myceneans (a look at Mycene and Tyrinth indicate the need of huge power) and allegedly destroy the Hittites, (dispite the total lack of any archeologic finds to indicate foreign presence either in Greece or as deep as the Hittite capital 'Hattushash') they stumbled on Ramsses III that defeated them with ease, even though we have no indication of Egypt bearing such power. Besides there are several Hittite and Amenhotep III records that indicate alliance with these people prior to any destruction.

If you want a theory, I'd look into internal revolts and continuous change of hands on the thrones.
Thucydides tells us that 1.12:

"Even after the Trojan war Hellas was still engaged in removing and settling, and thus could not attain to the quiet which must precede growth. The late return of the Hellenes from Ilium caused many revolutions, and factions ensued almost everywhere; and it was the citizens thus driven into exile who founded the cities."

We know of the 7 against Thebes, the Atheneans attacking Eleusis, the Dorian return and after all this, the Myceneans return from Troy to see someone else having claimed their throne. This may have lead to yet another war and even more problems.
Of course there is a slight problem in the timeline but it just could be possible.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 08:34
Hasn't anyone read my post in the Sea People thread? The Sea People were merely opotunistic pirates using weak moments of the great kingdoms to sack their capitols. After the sackings they took off running.

Date Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 16:37

Sorry hadn't read it before but now that I did, one or two questions.

How do you explain the lack of destructed 'sites' in Thessaly and Macedonia. They must have past through there or are you suggesting a different route ? But then again, the question that comes to mind is, why conquer an area destroy everything in site and abandon it?

There is also a total lack in archeologic finds that would indicate a 'foreign' origin, not to mention that according to anthropologic finds, there was never any kind of 'drastic' differentiation in anthropologic racial types that could indicate some foreign 'invaders' or settlers.

(if someone could tell me how to cut and upload a pic from a pdf file, I could put up a table from J. Lawrence Angel's "Social Biology of Greek Culture Growth")

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:56
There is no evidence of any Dorian invasion.

All the evidence instead points to destruction in the LHIIIB period, while the Dorians appear in the LHIIIC period. Mythology does not trump archaeology. Moreover, a power vacuum was created, and the cities was destroyed, before the arrival of the Dorians, as I have shown. Therefore, the Dorians must have migrated in the LHIIIC period and become the ruling class. But they were NOT the destroyers of the palaces and cities.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 01:18
I'd like to review the evidence for a Dorian invasion:

1. Myths regarding a militaristic arrival of the sons of Heracles, presumably the Dorians.
  2. The introduction of new cultural elements, including cremations, different swords, iron, and different styles of pottery, into Mycenaean civilization.
  3. The collapse of Mycenaean civilization due to warfare.
On #1:

Heracles was the epomynous Dorian hero, like Theseus was the Ionian hero.  His "saga" was used by the Dorians to show a natural "ascendancy" of their tribe. The myths were propoganda devices. The identification of the Dorians as the "sons of Heracles" returning to "overthrow usurpers" certainly struck a chord in the Greek world, and was probably a propoganda device for justifying the arrival of the Dorians. However, to take it literally as fact is ridiculous.

On #2:

All these elements are introduced after 1140 BC at the earliest. It is not unreasonable that there was a migration of Dorians around this time. However, to suggest that it was an invasion is a big leap, mainly because evidence of this nature is typical of a migration, and evidence of an invasion is not present.

On #3:

This destruction occurred mainly 1220-1190 BC, with a destruction of 1170 BC at the latest. As you see, the destruction occurred earlier than the arrival of the Dorians. If the arrival of the Dorians is marked by said cultural characteristics, then they would have been introduced to Greece when the Dorians arrived -and they are not present at the time the palaces and cities were destroyed. Logically, then, the Dorians could not have destroyed Mycenaean civilizaiton.

The evidence for a Dorian invasion is contradictory and weak. The evidence for a migration is much stronger. The long-held tenet that the Dorians destroyed the Mycenaeans is simply no longer an acceptable hypothesis in the face of this contradictory evidence.

References:

http://projectsx.dartmouth.edu/history/bronze_age/lessons/le s/28.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorian
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleidae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycenaean_civilization
http://www.historywiz.com/mycenaeanfall.htm

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 05:11

Thessaly and Macedonia were not very rich at that time and probably were not involved in the Aegean wars, so their defence capabilities were free to deal with the Sea People. This made them a less desirable target. Seems I haven't been clear enough, there was no conquest of anyone by the Sea People, only sackings. Sea People never fought a land battle that would of been necesary for conquest of the Peloponesean cities.

The philosophy of the Sea People was not "we came, we defeated, we ruled" but "we came, we pillaged, we left home". 

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 10:45

The introduction of new cultural elements, including cremations, different swords, iron, and different styles of pottery, into Mycenaean civilization.

Cremnation isn't something new, we know of cremnation either partial or whole cremnation being practiced as far back as the Late Neolithic period. As I quoted before from "The End of the Mycenean Age" by William H. Stiebing, Hooker has clearly noted the pre-existance of these 'techniques'  prior to the alleged arrival/invasion and instead of a drastic adoption all archeologic finds acutally indicate a gradual adoptation.
Besides, the majority of finds connected to the Dorians are all finds of the 10th and 9th centuries obviously leaving a 1-200 year gap and if these were brought by some Dorians or Sea Peoples.The above should have never been seen in Athens, since we know that the 'Dorians' never did manage to conquer nor in Boetia and Thessaly in which they never settled.

Thessaly and Macedonia were not very rich at that time and probably were not involved in the Aegean wars, so their defence capabilities were free to deal with the Sea People. This made them a less desirable target. Seems I haven't been clear enough, there was no conquest of anyone by the Sea People, only sackings. Sea People never fought a land battle that would of been necesary for conquest of the Peloponesean cities.

Larissa actually prospered during the Mycenean age with a large center, Magnesia had 3 with  Iolkos (connected to the myth of the Argonauts)  being the largest. Macedonia also had its share of prosperous centers (Molyvopyrgos and Agios Mamantos, Thessaloniki), while not as large as those of Peloponessos equally important for the area. During the Late Bronze instead of seeing these centers expanding we find that several smaller ones are formed.
So saying that these areas were not very rich is inaccurate.

Your statement of the SP never fighting a land battle brings up a major flaw in this theory. Mycenae, Pylos, Argos, Corinth etc are far from being considered next to the sea. The only citadel that can be placed in this category is Tyrinth. Besides, this would need an emense amount of power. If we take Thucydides account of the sack of Troy, he mentions some 85 people in each ship (the rowers would obviously be considered as fighting power). A simple comparison of the power needed to sack only 1 city during a timline of some 10 years (if we consider Homer's account accurate) indicates at least 10-20 times more power would be needed to sack all these cities, since they all fell almost simultaniously.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 19:18
Nor have I ever proposed that the Sea Peoples destroyed Aegean civilization. I will make my position on the Sea Peoples clearer:

"The Sea Peoples" as we know them were simply a confederacy. The "core" were three tribes from Italy, the Teresh, Shardana, and Shekelesh -these allied with desperate mercanaries and refugees from war in the Aegean and famine in Libya. Their "allies", the other tribes of the Sea Peoples, probably outnumbered the main core, but the point is that they were a power that sacked and pillaged the E. Med.

As for the Dorian "invasion", I would like to see an answer to it by someone who believes there was such an invasion, e.g. Maju.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 23:25

"The Sea Peoples" as we know them were simply a confederacy. The "core" were three tribes from Italy, the Teresh, Shardana, and Shekelesh ...

Which was the situation in Sardinia, Sicily and Etruria in the time of the Sea Peoples? I mean in real archaeological terms, not in wild speculations...

I'll tell you about two of them: the Sardinians may have been in a defensive attitude, as the ill-understood nuraghi (towers) seem to show. One could guess that they meant to launch attacks from them but I'd rather think that they seem to be defending. They may have been conquered by the Shardana (who knows?) c. 1300, causing them to migrate to Balearic Is., where they creatd a new and very tardy phase of Megalithism.

About the Etruscans: they were in their infancy. They are not considered Etruscans in the full sense yet, but just the culture of proto-Vilanova. In my opinion they (the elites) arrived from Anatolia (and these could have been a Sea People or just refugees from Troy) c. 1100, bringing the language, most of the Aegean culture and maybe the self-attributed name: Rassena (not Tyrrehnoi, which is a Greek term) nor Tusci (which is a Latin term).

Do you, Saint, have more data on the archaeology of Italy in the last third of he 2nd milennium BCE (particularly on Sardinia) that can complement my acount?

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 23:32
Yes I do. But note that this topic is about the Dorians, and you are simply throwing up a smoke-screen to avoid responding to the evidence regarding the Dorians.

There is no evidence that Sardinia was assailed by invaders c.1300 BC. There is no reason to believe the Shardana are not Sardinians. The ancient Sardinians were already making long-distance voyages, having trade contacts with the Mycenaeans and Egyptians, as shown by the artifacts found in Sardinia and also the "Giant's Tombs" which contain images of sea-going vessels. In fact, the Sardinian civilization was flourishing from 1600 to 1200, and there is no evidence of any destruction in 1300. It was only after 1200 that the culture declines, and is revived after 300 years. There is no reason for them to migrate to the Balearic Islands, no reason for them to be on the defensive. You are making baseless speculations.

When did I say that the Etruscans were the Sea Peoples? Tyrrhenian refers to all the cultures of the Tyrrhenian Sea, so it is possible that the Sardinians were the Teresh and Shardana.

There is no archaeology to complement your account, because your account is baseless speculation ignoring all archaeological evidence.

The average rate of nuraghes emerging per year remains at about ~75 until 1200 BC. There is no interruption. You somehow say that the Sardinians were conquered 1300 BC, and migrated to the Balearic Islands -but this does not explain why their civilization was uninterrupted during this time period, nor why megalithism in the Balearic Islands has more similarity with its Iberian than Sardinian counterpart. Your theory is flawed.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 23:41
This is not any war: I gave the info I have and I even bothered to make the reference to the one you were giving quite inconsistently and without mentioning the source.

You take it? Fine. You don't? Fine. I'm sure there are people in this forum more qualified than you or I to geive throught reasonings on why the Dorian invasion. For me is transparent and the more I read the more clear.

Tyrrhenian (as you should know) derivates directly from the name that Greeks gave to Etruscans. Thyrrenian Sea means Etruscan Sea and nothing else. There's no Thyrrenian Sea without Thyrrenians, that is: Etruscans, nor without Greeks to name them that way. The sea has had other names such as Roman Sea in the middle ages, btw.

Hey, hey! Cool it down. I don't have any theory that says that Sardinians migrated to Balearic Is. necessarily. It's just something I threw over there. So far I've read that they came from Corsica - but I don't have an opinion.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 23:59
Tyrrhenian was applied to the Etruscans because of the sea, and not vice-versa. It was always called the "Tyrrhenian" sea. The tribes coming thence were called the Tyrrhenoi, even before the Etruscans.

How is it transparent for you when you persist in spite of all the evidence to think that a Dorian invasion occurred?

I am reposting this so you can answer it. If you cannot answer it, then you should logically compromise your beliefs.

I'd like to review the evidence for a Dorian invasion:

1. Myths regarding a militaristic arrival of the sons of Heracles, presumably the Dorians.
  2. The introduction of new cultural elements, including cremations, different swords, iron, and different styles of pottery, into Mycenaean civilization.
  3. The collapse of Mycenaean civilization due to warfare.
On #1:

Heracles was the epomynous Dorian hero, like Theseus was the Ionian hero.  His "saga" was used by the Dorians to show a natural "ascendancy" of their tribe. The myths were propoganda devices. The identification of the Dorians as the "sons of Heracles" returning to "overthrow usurpers" certainly struck a chord in the Greek world, and was probably a propoganda device for justifying the arrival of the Dorians. However, to take it literally as fact is ridiculous.

On #2:

All these elements are introduced after 1140 BC at the earliest. It is not unreasonable that there was a migration of Dorians around this time. However, to suggest that it was an invasion is a big leap, mainly because evidence of this nature is typical of a migration, and evidence of an invasion is not present.

On #3:

This destruction occurred mainly 1220-1190 BC, with a destruction of 1170 BC at the latest. As you see, the destruction occurred earlier than the arrival of the Dorians. If the arrival of the Dorians is marked by said cultural characteristics, then they would have been introduced to Greece when the Dorians arrived -and they are not present at the time the palaces and cities were destroyed. Logically, then, the Dorians could not have destroyed Mycenaean civilizaiton.

The evidence for a Dorian invasion is contradictory and weak. The evidence for a migration is much stronger. The long-held tenet that the Dorians destroyed the Mycenaeans is simply no longer an acceptable hypothesis in the face of this contradictory evidence.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 10:19

I never said they sacked everything, I actually doubt they sacked more then one city in the Peloponese, if that much. What I am trying to say is they were never a really big military power, like some people are trying to suggest. They might have had a tribal organisation, but never statehood.

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 10:26
If they never sacked anything, then they were not an invasion but a migration. If they were a migration, then they arrived c.1140 BC. That is what I have been trying to say all along.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 20:53

Tyrrhenian was applied to the Etruscans because of the sea, and not vice-versa. It was always called the "Tyrrhenian" sea. The tribes coming thence were called the Tyrrhenoi, even before the Etruscans.

False. Where do you get that from? Who called the sea in any manner "even before the Etruscans"? I thought the Etrsucans were the first to write in all Italy...

Wikipedia: The name for this part of the Mediterranean Sea derives from the Greek name for the Etruscans, who were said to be emigrants from Lydia and led by the prince Tyrrhenus.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 22:08
Before the historical Etruscans. The prince Tyrrhenus arrived during the Trojan War, so it shows that the name "Tyrrhenoi" was in use as early as 1180 BC.

But this thread is on the Dorians.

I would like you to answer all my points regarding the Dorians, or to declare that you are mistaken in your belief that they invaded Greece. Enough avoiding.

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 01:35
We don't know for sure, but it's possible.

We just know that Greeks called Etruscans Tyrrhenoi or Tyrsenoi.

The dates of destruction or abandonment of altogether too many important sites are either unreliable or unknown, for a wide variety of different reasons. Although slow progress is being made, it will be a long time yet before the numerous local catastrophes of the two centuries between ca. 1250 and ca. 1050 B.C. can be placed with some degree of confidence into the order in which they occurred. The summary which follows is therefore a preliminary report at best - and a selective one at that! - on work still very much in progress.

(1) A major destruction level within the citadel walls at Mycenae defines the end of the LH IIIB2 [c.1190] ceramic phase. The entire area within the walls appears to have been destroyed by fire and the palace was never rebuilt.

(2) A major destruction by fire took place within the walls at Tiryns at the end of LH IIIB2 or just possibly in the very earliest stages of LH IIIC. [c.1190]

http://projectsx.dartmouth.edu/classics/history/bronze_age/lessons/les/28.html - http://projectsx.dartmouth.edu/classics/history/bronze_age/l essons/les/28.html

This makes your "arrival of the Dorians" only 50 years after the destructions. You seem to date your "arrival of the Dorians" on some characteristic pottery but it could well have left no remains, as I have mentioned before:

Winter (1977)

Winter has made the important point, on the basis of analogies with the 3rd century B.C. Galatian invasion of Anatolia and the 6th century A.D. Slavic invasion of Greece, both of them undisputed historical events, that invaders on a lower cultural level than the inhabitants of the area which they invade often do not leave behind any sign of their presence other than destruction levels and evidence for drastic depopulation. Even when they remain in the invaded area, as both the Galatians and the Slavs did, they are often not archaeologically detectable or observable since they may wholeheartedly adopt the existing material culture of the population which they have conquered.

Same source.

Others (re-read the proposed theories) in that source that we both are using, suggest that the "coarse ware" is not indicative of any invasion as such but just a lower quality "creole" pottery, possibly made by slaves, because it's found always together with Mycenan pottery - even among the alleged "Mycenean refugees" of Cyprus.

So why don't you read my replies instead of making a war?

Take it easy. The Dorians could well have invaded and left no remains at all, as Galatians or Slavs did after them.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 09:52

Why can't a war result in both sides being destroyed? Because destruction of one side is brought on by the other side. When one side is destroyed, it can no longer destroy the other side. The result of this reasoning is that Peloponese was conqured by some outside power or that it fell under the rulling of a single Peloponesean city, and that the remains of this city have not yet been discovered. This unknown city would then be the only one that was conqured by the Dorians. But I doubt that, I believe Francis is right about the Dorians being only a migration.

My proof of that is the myth of Cyclop Walls. Greeks from later period (Dorians) believed these walls to be built by giants, which they would of known wasn't true if they had fought with the people who actually did build them (Acheans). Therefore, Achean civilization was destroyed before the Dorian arrival. 

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 10:53
Excellent point Maljkovic.

So, Maju, you are saying that even though there is no evidence of a Dorian invasion, you are going to believe it anyway?

If the pottery, etc. was characteristic of the Dorians, and there were two Dorian arrivals, according to you, why do the remains of the Dorians only appear in the latter of the two, and not in the first? Illogical, no?

And if the Dorians did not leave remains either time, then why is it that the class structure changes only in their "second" arrival?

-------------
Herr Saltzman

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 19:24

So, Maju, you are saying that even though there is no evidence of a Dorian invasion, you are going to believe it anyway?

We do have an evidence of Dorian invasion: their presence. What we don't have is any evidence, not even an indication of any Sicilian or Etruscan or Trojan or Hittite invasion whatsoever.

If the pottery, etc. was characteristic of the Dorians, and there were two Dorian arrivals, according to you, why do the remains of the Dorians only appear in the latter of the two, and not in the first? Illogical, no?

And if the Dorians did not leave remains either time, then why is it that the class structure changes only in their "second" arrival?

I don't know. I haven't studied the phenomenon so much in depth.

How do you know that the class structure changes only in what you call "second arrival"?

How do you know that the pottery that you call "Dorian" was original of Dorians? Have you found it in the regions of origin of the Dorians, namely Northern Greece? Have you found a pattern of cultural movement from Northern to Southern Greece and find that this pottery is part of it?

I don't. But maybe you have more evidence that I ignore.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 19:29
Originally posted by Maljkovic

Why can't a war result in both sides being destroyed? Because destruction of one side is brought on by the other side. When one side is destroyed, it can no longer destroy the other side. The result of this reasoning is that Peloponese was conqured by some outside power or that it fell under the rulling of a single Peloponesean city, and that the remains of this city have not yet been discovered. This unknown city would then be the only one that was conqured by the Dorians. But I doubt that, I believe Francis is right about the Dorians being only a migration.

My proof of that is the myth of Cyclop Walls. Greeks from later period (Dorians) believed these walls to be built by giants, which they would of known wasn't true if they had fought with the people who actually did build them (Acheans). Therefore, Achean civilization was destroyed before the Dorian arrival. 

That's no "proof", at most some sort of arguable "indication".

Notice please that many centuries had passed through when we find the Greeks and teir cultural heritage again in the 8th and 7th centuries BCE. Dorians may have called the walls Cyclopeans but they also talked of an invasion of Peloponesos, the conquest of Argos, ect.. They had such invasion as fundational myth, together with the legends of Herakles.

Yes, Dorian culture is pretty much simple, barbaric, but they kept oral memory of those times, while Athenians, for instance didn't.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: chicagogeorge
Date Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 12:27

According Herodotus mother home of Dorians (Hylleis, Pamphyloi, and the Dymanes) during the Deucalion Kingdom were in the Pthiotis (middle Greece, close to Thessalia)  and during Doros Kingdom were in the Histiaiotis (Thessalia) region. When Cadmeians they turned out from there, Dorians it dwelt in Pindos and was called Makednian.

Thence moved afterwards to Dryopis (middle Greece)  and from Dryopis it came finally to Peloponnesus (displacing the native Achaeans), and began to be called Dorian.

Dorians was a tribe migrated from its place to other and  in any direction (Macedonia, Thessaly, Peloponnisos, Rhodos, Crete  e.t.c.).

Now if we accept Herodotus work, Mythology (as you said) and finally the archaeological data, we found that Dorians never invaded outside to inside.

The Dorians originated from north, northwestern Greece ( Macedonia and Epirus). From these points they began to invade toward the south, into the center of mainland Greece, and then to the Peloponnesian, and the southern Aegean islands. Once their invasions of central Greece ceased, their descent to southern Greece produced waves of invasions through the Peloponnesus, into Crete, and westward to Rhodes. Dorian invasion in the Peloponnese is dated on the basis of the catalogues of the Spartan kings to 1148 B.C. or 1104 B.C. according to two different calculations, that little differ from the years 1125 B.C. or 1120 B.C. provided by archaeological data concerning the same event

more in

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5730&PN=6 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5730& ;PN=6

Quote:
“…but the Dorians on the contrary have been constantly on the move; their home in Deucalion’s reign was Phthiotis and in the reign of Dorus son of Hellen the country known as Histiaeotis in the neighbourhood of Ossa and Olympus; driven from there by the Cadmeians they settled in Pindus and were known as Makednoi; thence they migrated to Dryopis, and finally to the Peloponnese, where they got their present name of Dorians.”
[Herodotus, Book I, 56]

A a reference by Diodorus of Sicily in his historical description of a Dorian migration in relation to Crete:

and it is said that the third race, the Dorians,
    reached Crete under the leadership of Tektamos,
    the son of Doros. And indeed it is said that the
    greater part of these peoples were gathered in
    the region around Mount Olympus
    Pelopids and Heraclids — the "Dorian Invasion" 1
    • Upon the death of Eurystheus an oracle tells the Mycenaeans to choose a Pelopid king and Atreus and Thyestes — already installed in nearby Midea by Sthenelus — contend for the prize. Atreus eventually wins out and his son, Orestes, returns to Mycenae and seizes the throne from Aletes, son of Aegisthus.
  • Orestes expanded his kingdom to include all of Argos, and he became king of Sparta by marrying Hermione, his cousin and the daughter of Menelaus and Helen. Finally, Tisamenus, Orestes' son by Hermione, the daughter of Helen, inherits the throne.
  • The Heracleidae ("children of Heracles") return to the Peloponnese, led by javascript:popup%28popup12%29 - Hyllus , the son of Heracles, and Iolaus, Heracles' nephew, and contend with the Pelopidae ("children of Pelops") for possession of the Peloponnese.
  • The Heracleidae base their claim to power on their descent, through Heracles, from Perseus, the founder of Mycenae, whereas Tisamenus was a Pelopid whom the Heracleidae regard as a usurper.

The Dorian Invasion 2
stemma%207
  • After a year, the Heracleidae are driven out by plague and famine. Upon consulting the Delphic oracle, they were told that they had returned before their proper time: the god said they should await "the third crop." 
  • Accordingly, after three years, the Heracleidae invade the Peloponnese again, and Hyllus challenges the Peloponnesians to single-armed combat. In the ensuing duel with Echemus, king of Arcadia, Hyllus is killed and the Heracleidae undertake to withdraw for fifty years.
  • The Heracleidae invade again, under the leadership of Aristomachus, the son of Hyllus and Heracles' grandson. But Aristomachus is slain in combat with Tisamenus and his army, and the Heracleidae withdraw once again.
  • Upon consulting the oracle again, the Heracleidae are told that "the third crop" referred to the third generation of Heracles' descendants.
  • The Return of the Heracleidae under Heracles' great-grandsons is finally successful — although Aristodemus is slain by a thunderbolt, and his sons Procles and Eurysthenes assume leadership of his forces.
  • Temenus, Procles and Eurysthenes (the sons of Aristodemus), and Cresphontes cast lots for the kingdoms. Temenus becomes master of Argos, Procles and Eurysthenes of Sparta, and Cresphontes of Messenia.
  • Cresphontes secured the rule of Messenia for himself by the following stratagem: it was agreed that the first drawing of lots was for Argos, the second for Lacedaemon, and the third for Messenia. Both Temenus and the sons of Aristodemus throw stones into a pitcher of water, but Cresphontes cast in a clod of earth; since it was dissolved in the water, the other two lots turned up first.

Date Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 01:26

I am showing that seeing as the only evidence for an "invasion" predates the Dorians, and the collapse of the Mycenaeans, the Dorians did not "invade" Mycenaean Greece and destroy it.As such, there is then no evidence that there was a Dorian invasion as opposed to a Dorian migration. Of course, you can feel free to prove me wrong.

A Dorian migration sounds closer to the mark. Was the Dorian period marked by wider cultural change in the aegean region/? Yes. It seems that the Dorian period, was also marked by new writing systems - and the assimilation of native culture. Could this have happened without some kind of military conquest? Don't know. The arrival of the first Greeks aruably spans a period of about a 1000 years - early to middle bronze age - until that is sorted out, its hard to say who destroyed the Mycenean civ.

bylazora

Posted By: Leopoldo
Date Posted: 02-Oct-2016 at 17:18
The  last I have read about the Mycenae civilization or more precisely about  the Late Bronze Age is that all those nations, and civilizations
were rather killed by a persistent drought lasting nearly 250 years.

This late information has been possible because we had developed diverse ways to measure past temperatures with diverse methods.  We had been extracting undersea mud cores and for this period the
temperature of the surface of the Sea in the Easter and West Mediterranean had been a few degrees colder.  Other samples extracted from the Red Sea and near the Gulf of Oman had produced as well lower temperatures om the sea surface.  Also samples from the Dead Sea and from some speleothermes  in a cave in Syria.  They take samples from stalactites and are able to tell the temperature for some period of time.  In cases of drought they can see that the stalactites had ceased to grow.
Th destructions, the fires, were the desperation of some warrying
people searching for food. 

You can see a video on this

Eric Cline | 1177 BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed

https://www.youtube.com/user/JamesHenryBreasted"> The Oriental Institute   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyry8mgXiTk

Or this one

Documentary Film ║ Bronze Age Collapse ★ 2016 (New)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ0m0Gr1-fI

I think this recent information would solve most of the problems.

My idea is that during a time, this land was almost inhabited because of the drought.  As the situation become better, population was recovering and new immigrants arrived with iron arms.  This people was a real minority and became the new masters of the land.  They probably spoke and IE language like the previous people that were also bronze age immigrants.   The language was not that different.

The aristocratic classes were the warriors and the rest were peasants and herders to provide food for the warriors.

Leopoldo 

Posted By: chicagogeorge
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2017 at 16:39
Seems like most historic accounts say yes, there was a Dorian invasion/migration
https://books.google.com/books?id=ld0iu883LTUC&pg=PR4&dq=Greek+tribes+2300+bc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiKvdHb_8_VAhUqxoMKHQgNDEsQ6AEILDAB#v=onepage&q=Dorians&f=false

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com