Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 22:10
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The United China
Posted By: Sino Defender
Subject: The United China
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 22:43

when, how, and what impact?

-------------
"Whoever messes with the heavenly middle kingdom, no matter how far s/he escapes, s/he is to be slaughtered"

Replies:
Posted By: poirot
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 23:02
China is already united, in my opinion.  Just need to add in a few bits here and there.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 23:08
It is pretty much unified. The core, important areas are incorporated into it already. As for the "missing bits", only time will tell. The best chance China has of getting those back is to strike a deal with the US at a time when the US is too preoccupied with more threatening conflicts to defend the breakaway parts of China.

-------------

Posted By: sinosword
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 23:21
yes. the mainland government has been reforming though very slowly. it perhaps could turn to be democratcy in 30~50 years. china should be reunited peacefully if taiwan government would be patient to wait and not claim independent.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 23:29

in my opinion, china should take back or incorporate the following regions:

priority:

1) taiwan

2) diaoyu tai islands

3) spratly islands

secondary:

1) russian far east (greater manchuria)

2) outer mongolia

3) singapore

-------------
"Whoever messes with the heavenly middle kingdom, no matter how far s/he escapes, s/he is to be slaughtered"

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 23:34
I think Singapore and outer Mongolia are better off independent.  Taiwan I agree will be reunited peacefully if things do not become boiled up by TI advocates.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 00:02

Originally posted by poirot

I think Singapore and outer Mongolia are better off independent.  Taiwan I agree will be reunited peacefully if things do not become boiled up by TI advocates.

but china would be better with them. that's all i care.

-------------

Posted By: Gubook Janggoon
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 00:15
Originally posted by Sino Defender

but china would be better with them. that's all i care.

So you're promoting imperialism on China's part?

I don't think that we'll find the Russian Far East or Mongolia being incorporated into China.  The first is way to important to Russia as a semi warm water port and the latter is too much of a strategic area for both Russia and the United States for them to let it fall into Chinese hands.

As for Singapore, the day China takes Singapore is the day that all hell breaks loose on earth.  Singpore is too important strategically, geographically, and economically for any nation let any other nation take it.  I think that most countries are just comfortable letting Singapore govern themselves. 

Taiwan  will most likely join the mainland some time or another.  It's just one of those things that's bound to happen.

As for the Spratleys and Japan, that all depends on exactly how strong and unified ASEAN becomes and if the United States stays on top on the world stage.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 02:25
I will always remember the first sentence of Romance of Three Kingdoms
, altough I can not translate ancient Chinese into English. So, even you ask will China be separated into different countries. My answer also is YES.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 02:42

Originally posted by ATLAS

, altough I can not translate ancient Chinese into English. So, even you ask will China be separated into different countries. My answer also is YES.

Intro:

Long divided will unite; long united will divide.

Conclusion:

Long united will divide; long divided will unite.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: tadamson
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 04:58

priority:

1) taiwan

2) diaoyu tai islands

3) spratly islands

secondary:

2) outer mongolia

3) singapore

I'd have expected to see Korea and Vietnam higher up the list than Singapore 

-------------
rgds.

Tom..

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 10:30
singapore is dominated by ethnic chinese, but korea and vietnam are not.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 13:37

Intro:

Conclusion:

it would be much more difficult a nation to be divided or reunited now,  the current international political environment is very different from the ancient time.

-------------

Posted By: honeybee
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 14:14

"singapore is dominated by ethnic chinese, but korea and vietnam are not."

So why don't you take all the China towns?

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 15:35
Originally posted by honeybee

"singapore is dominated by ethnic chinese, but korea and vietnam are not."

So why don't you take all the China towns?

None of the China towns are a country by itself.

-------------

Posted By: Omnipotence
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 18:50

"""but china would be better with them. that's all i care."""

Yes, China would be better if the entire world becomes a part of it as well. I doubt China is more important(or less important) than any other country. Your statement puts China in a very negative light.

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 20:44
Originally posted by Omnipotence

"""but china would be better with them. that's all i care."""

Yes, China would be better if the entire world becomes a part of it as well. I doubt China is more important(or less important) than any other country. Your statement puts China in a very negative light.

yeah, as nagative as the us invasion of a dozen other countries and european colonialism.

why not?

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 21:06

yeah, as nagative as the us invasion of a dozen other countries and european colonialism.

why not?

It certainly doesn't justify China doing the same.  China should be the country standing up to such injustices, having had suffered from them herself.

I'd prefer a China that was the champion of the down trodden.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 21:12
Originally posted by Gubook Janggoon

why not?

It certainly doesn't justify China doing the same.  China should be the country standing up to such injustices, having had suffered from them herself.

I'd prefer a China that was the champion of the down trodden.

yeah, it doesn't justify china doing the same. but we don't want anything to be justified. and we don't care about injustices because that's what the world has been all about for the past few centuries of western domination.

i wouldn't prefer a china that was loved by countries around the world but as weak as hell like (pre 1949).

i would prefer a china that was feared by the rest of the world but strong and imperialistic like the han and tang dynasties. plus, what u prefer or anyone prefer doesn't really matter to us.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 21:40

Intro:

Conclusion:

much simpler than I thought. however, I may not say this is exactly as same as the original. clear enough. Thx

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 21:53

what u prefer or anyone prefer doesn't really matter to us.

If you're not willing to discuss or hear other ideas, why even bother to start a thread like this here?

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 22:03
Originally posted by sinosword

Intro:

Conclusion:

it would be much more difficult a nation to be divided or reunited now,  the current international political environment is very different from the ancient time.

different indeed, but in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Luo guanzhong just told a absolute truth. In our eyes, Taiwan has not been ruled by the contral government of China for 57 yrs (since 1949), or for for 111 yrs (since 1895), but even 111 yrs is just a short period. Even Three Kingdoms periord is longer than 111 yrs.

If I dont make mistake, the history of China or east of mainland Asia as a whole country or separate countries is half-and-half. history, today and the future are same. Higher developed technology does not make anything defferent.

The possibility of Korea, Mongolia, Japan, mainland China and Taiwan etx. unite together could be remote, but still possible. Why not? The Japanese had the same thought, altough the Japanese used the wrong method.  I am willing to see mainland and Taiwan unite, by in civilised way eg: for both of us sakes. Otherwise, I will defend the invasion. No matter the invader is Chinese or other force.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 22:45
we chinese are(or will become) peaceloving people. we don't want other people's land 

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 23:17

Originally posted by wang hua

we chinese are(or will become) peaceloving people. we don't want other people's land 

lol, what period what are talking about? the ancient China or modern China?  Who did we from a small hord become a mighty civilisation? Dont tell me because we were so superior and peacefully persuaded others joined us. Winner  survive; loser die. all civilisations are same. We winners wrote history. The losers were described as barbarian, drink blood, eat man etc. Fortunately, we are survivers. Yes, we are peaceloving people indeed. why not? does death people agree with us? They said NO once, then because we a so peaceloving, compared with us, they felt shame and kill them self. lol. who cares?

Chinese did fight a lot. sometimes, we want to fight; sometimes, we have to. These wars raised Chinese. Not only Chinese, but also other civilisation. There is no civilisation survives because of peaceloving.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 23:44

what u prefer or anyone prefer doesn't really matter to us.

If you're not willing to discuss or hear other ideas, why even bother to start a thread like this here?

because the thread isn't about chinese imperialism but reunification.

i am willing to hear and discuss but i am also letting you know that what u prefer wouldn't matter to us.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 00:01

i am willing to hear and discuss but i am also letting you know that what u prefer wouldn't matter to us.

Granted the thread isn't about Chinese imperialism, but you yourself brought up the idea of China taking over other nations.

I also don't see how you suddenly speak for the whole of China.  How could you possibly represent the opinions of 1.3 billion different people?

Discussing isn't telling someone that what they think doesn't matter.  Discussing is taking the time to consider someone else's opinion and either agree, politely refute their claim, or agree to disagree.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 00:54

Granted the thread isn't about Chinese imperialism, but you yourself brought up the idea of China taking over other nations.

I also don't see how you suddenly speak for the whole of China.  How could you possibly represent the opinions of 1.3 billion different people?

Discussing isn't telling someone that what they think doesn't matter.  Discussing is taking the time to consider someone else's opinion and either agree, politely refute their claim, or agree to disagree.

you have a misconception. i listen and respect ur view, but whether i care is completely up to me. that's how freedom of speech works as well. everyone has the right to express and the right to ACCEPT or DENY any information.

-------------

Posted By: snowybeagle
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 02:20

Since when has China any claim on Singapore? Singapore was not a colony nor settlement founded by China.

A country cannot reclaim or reunify territories it had never owned nor ruled in history.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 13:22
Originally posted by snowybeagle

Since when has China any claim on Singapore? Singapore was not a colony nor settlement founded by China.

A country cannot reclaim or reunify territories it had never owned nor ruled in history.

China has not. It's just my personal thought. A country should not reclaim or reunify territories it has never owned nor ruled in history, but it definitely CAN!

Britain never owned India before it claimed it. America never owned California and Texas before it claimed it. The French never owned nor ruled Vietnam before it claimed it. The list goes on and on.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 15:29

China has not. It's just my personal thought. A country should not reclaim or reunify territories it has never owned nor ruled in history, but it definitely CAN!

Britain never owned India before it claimed it. America never owned California and Texas before it claimed it. The French never owned nor ruled Vietnam before it claimed it. The list goes on and on.

this is sooo retro

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: Dream208
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 16:00

Sino "Defender", I think what we need now is more friends less enemies. Protecting and refining Chinese "culture" is more important than some territorial ambitions.

I against Taiwan independence largely because of pro-independists' consistant attacks/hummiliation on the Chinese culture and Chinese peoples. But any further expansion I believe will bring more harms than good.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 16:27
Originally posted by Dream208

Sino "Defender", I think what we need now is more friends less enemies. Protecting and refining Chinese "culture" is more important than some territorial ambitions.

I against Taiwan independence largely because of pro-independists' consistant attacks/hummiliation on the Chinese culture and Chinese peoples. But any further expansion I believe will bring more harms than good.

reclaiming daioyu tai islands, spratley islands, russian far east, and outer mongolia is an expansion.

maybe i will let singapore go as an independent state. but it's not like i want china to militarily occupy them. singapore can join china in the future if under the right circumstances peacefully.

-------------

Posted By: johannes
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 17:07

Korea & Nam have been vassals states & colonies for many a former decade.

Neither is Tibet, Mongolia or Xinjiang.  Most people in Yunnan are not ethnic Chinese either, yet they are all part of modern China.

Korea & Nam have been vassal states/colonies for many a former decade.  Why not?

Oh and let's take all thse Central Asian states as well.

i say we take Japan as well, since they actually USE Chinese characters in their national language.  Of course we can "claim" those islands.

*ROLL EYES*

Sino Defender?  How old are you?  Dream ON, dreamer.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 17:17
Originally posted by johannes

Korea & Nam have been vassals states & colonies for many a former decade.

Neither is Tibet, Mongolia or Xinjiang.  Most people in Yunnan are not ethnic Chinese either, yet they are all part of modern China.

Korea & Nam have been vassal states/colonies for many a former decade.  Why not?

Oh and let's take all thse Central Asian states as well.

i say we take Japan as well, since they actually USE Chinese characters in their national language.  Of course we can "claim" those islands.

*ROLL EYES*

Sino Defender?  How old are you?  Dream ON, dreamer.

i am 22. expressing my personal thought isn't a crime. it is far from reality but here is no reality.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 19:58

you have a misconception. i listen and respect ur view, but whether i care is completely up to me. that's how freedom of speech works as well. everyone has the right to express and the right to ACCEPT or DENY any information.

The fact that you immediately shot down my opinion with an "I don't care" statement exemplifies the fact that all you want in this is thread is what you want to hear.  Instead of fostering discussion, as is the purpose of threads, you attempted to kill it.

I think that we've deviated from this topic a bit too much though.  I appologize for that.  Sinodefender, if you have any more comments, please PM me.

-------------

Posted By: Killabee
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 20:00
Originally posted by johannes

[Neither is Tibet, Mongolia or Xinjiang.  Most people in Yunnan are not ethnic Chinese either, yet they are all part of modern China.

*ROLL EYES*

Because of all the places you mentioned were under the recent Chinese dynasty or regime dominion , which the modern China territory is based on.

Posted By: flyingzone
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 20:31

i am 22. expressing my personal thought isn't a crime. it is far from reality but here is no reality.

Being young (but 22 isn't really THAT young) and idealistic is a good thing. But I'd rather see someone using one's youthful idealism and energy to to achieve social justice rather than dreaming to conquer foreign lands. You know in a way Poirot was right in saying that your thought is a little "retro". In this day and age, real prosperity does not depend on how much land a country holds. The world's richest countries are among the world's smallest. Those countries also rank the highest when it comes to egalitarianism, social conscience, international justice, and neutrality. A truly strong China should not be so narrowly defined by geography. It should depend on other qualities such as allowing its citizens to prosper, treating its citizens right, and treating other nations with respect. THAT is a country that demands respect from others.   

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 22:14

Before a country a reclaim something, it must lose it.

Before it can lose it, it must own it.

China can try to claim Singapore, but until it has owned and lost Singapore, it cannot reclaim or reunify with Singapore.

The only countries in the world today that can reclaim or reunify Singapore (if they so chooses to) would be

(1) Federation of Malaysia - Singapore was originally part of the Sultanate of Johor, which is today part of the Malaysian Federation.

(2) United Kingdom of the Great Britain - Singapore was a Crown Colony.

(3) Japan - which conquered and occupied Singapore from 1942-1945.

(4) Republic of Indonesia - based on some ancient maritime kingdom of long ago which claimed the entire Riau archipelago and southern parts of peninsular Malaysia.

What you think as your personal thought is entirely up to you, but the words reclaim and reunify have definite meanings which personal thoughts cannot change.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 23:03

maybe i will let singapore go as an independent state. but it's not like i want china to militarily occupy them. singapore can join china in the future if under the right circumstances peacefully.

It's not as if you have a say in real life, it's just your fantasy.

Why on earth would Singapore want to join China?

There are more Singaporeans today who'd prefer to join the United States rather than China.

Just because Singaporean has ethnic Chinese as a majority of the population has nothing to do with China.

Being Chinese is an ethnicity in Singapore. Their nationality in Singaporean.

Being Chinese is a nationality in China. Their ethnicity could be Han, or Uighur, or Mongolian, or Bai, or one of the scores of official ethnic minorities.

The ethnic Chinese of Singaporeans call themselves Hua-Ren, NOT Zhong-Guo-Ren or Han-Ren.

Many maintain ties to relatives in the mainland, but so do many Italian-Americans maintain ties with Italy and Irish Americans maintain ties with Ireland. and Korean-Americans maintain ties with Korea. That's all there is to it.

Posted By: Forgotten
Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 12:24

priority:

1) taiwan

2) diaoyu tai islands

3) spratly islands

secondary:

2) outer mongolia

3) singapore

China maybe have some rights to "invade" taiwan but how you dare to claim greater manchuria , outer mongolia & singapore ! this is nonsense.

china have no rights to be there , the same goes to these occupied lands : Tibet , Eastern Turkistan "Uyghuristan" , Inner Mongolia , Gansu , Qinghai & Heilongjiang. 

if your people "hidden Army" are much more than the native people in singapore then that doesnt give you the rights to claim it ! and even if your country occupied it before.

using your logic today the so called china must goes back under the rule of the mongols.

and my answer to your silly poll is that china will be back to its normal border which is your so called great wall , just remember why your "brave" people built it , what a courage.

The Great Wall of China in 1907, as photographed by Herbert Ponting. Over the centuries, there had been a number of attempts to build some sort of fortification or earthworks along this route, but the wall that appears here was built during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 12:49

To Forgotten:

Regardless how improper SinoDefender's personal opinion, I still can't understand why you use the Great Wall to denounce Chinese's courage? Does building a defense line make people less brave or less determined to protect their own land?

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 13:12
Originally posted by Forgotten

priority:

1) taiwan

2) diaoyu tai islands

3) spratly islands

secondary:

2) outer mongolia

3) singapore

China maybe have some rights to "invade" taiwan but how you dare to claim greater manchuria , outer mongolia & singapore ! this is nonsense.

china have no rights to be there , the same goes to these occupied lands : Tibet , Eastern Turkistan "Uyghuristan" , Inner Mongolia , Gansu , Qinghai & Heilongjiang. 

if your people "hidden Army" are much more than the native people in singapore then that doesnt give you the rights to claim it ! and even if your country occupied it before.

using your logic today the so called china must goes back under the rule of the mongols.

and my answer to your silly poll is that china will be back to its normal border which is your so called great wall , just remember why your "brave" people built it , what a courage.

The Great Wall of China in 1907, as photographed by Herbert Ponting. Over the centuries, there had been a number of attempts to build some sort of fortification or earthworks along this route, but the wall that appears here was built during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).

While I think you may have points about Outer Mongolia and Singapore, I think you overstretch your argument, and fail to deliver anything other than an emotional outcry.

Gansu?  The last time I checked Gansu is predominately Han Chinese and had been since the early Han Empire.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 13:30

how many times do i have to repeat? this wall was just used to prevent nomadic guerrilla. coz we had that long common border with nomads, their skirmishers often got into chinese territory to rob civiliances. it was always too late when our troops rushed to there, the nomads had escaped too fast. the same is that israel is building defence wall to deal with terrorists today, but this doesn't mean they are afraid of palestine.

-------------

Posted By: OSMANLI
Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 13:34

Mongolians are not ethnic Chinese why do think it should be part of China.

How about China stops occupying East Turkistan, Tibet Inner Mongolia. You have NO right over them, yet your greed makes you want more

Your excuse for taking lands such as Singapore is that they are ethnic Han, if that was the case let the majority of China free from han occupation

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 14:13

You can make your point without resorting to sarcastic/inflammatory remarks.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 17:04
Originally posted by OSMANLI

How about China stops occupying East Turkistan, Tibet Inner Mongolia. You have NO right over them, yet your greed makes you want more

Your excuse for taking lands such as Singapore is that they are ethnic Han, if that was the case let the majority of China free from han occupation

i think Snowbeagle gave an excellent definition:

Being Chinese is an ethnicity in Singapore.  Chinese is among many ethnicities - which also include British, Malay, Indonesian, etc -  being represented in Singapore, who are all Singaporean nationals.

Being Chinese is a nationality in China, not an ethnicity.  Various ethnicities, including Han, Mongol, Tibetan, Uyghur, Hui, Zhuang, etc, are all part of the Chinese nationality.

China has little excuse for claiming Singapore, but to say that Mongolians are not ethnic Chinese would not only be confusing, but also may offend ethnic Mongolians who are proud Chinese citizens.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 17:17
Originally posted by flyingzone

Being young (but 22 isn't really THAT young) and idealistic is a good thing. But I'd rather see someone using one's youthful idealism and energy to to achieve social justice rather than dreaming to conquer foreign lands. You know in a way Poirot was right in saying that your thought is a little "retro". In this day and age, real prosperity does not depend on how much land a country holds. The world's richest countries are among the world's smallest. Those countries also rank the highest when it comes to egalitarianism, social conscience, international justice, and neutrality. A truly strong China should not be so narrowly defined by geography. It should depend on other qualities such as allowing its citizens to prosper, treating its citizens right, and treating other nations with respect. THAT is a country that demands respect from others.   

but when it comes to economic and political influence, those small countries are all off the league.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 17:19

Before a country a reclaim something, it must lose it.

Before it can lose it, it must own it.

China can try to claim Singapore, but until it has owned and lost Singapore, it cannot reclaim or reunify with Singapore.

The only countries in the world today that can reclaim or reunify Singapore (if they so chooses to) would be

(1) Federation of Malaysia - Singapore was originally part of the Sultanate of Johor, which is today part of the Malaysian Federation.

(2) United Kingdom of the Great Britain - Singapore was a Crown Colony.

(3) Japan - which conquered and occupied Singapore from 1942-1945.

(4) Republic of Indonesia - based on some ancient maritime kingdom of long ago which claimed the entire Riau archipelago and southern parts of peninsular Malaysia.

What you think as your personal thought is entirely up to you, but the words reclaim and reunify have definite meanings which personal thoughts cannot change.

if you read carefully, the words "reunify" and "reclaim" weren't used on singapore.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 17:23

priority:

1) taiwan

2) diaoyu tai islands

3) spratly islands

secondary:

2) outer mongolia

3) singapore

i agree that your logic could be right to a certain extent. but before you force it on me, i would have to require you to force it on yourself first. based upon your rightfulness and morality, the united states should not even exist, and the land should be returned to the native americans. neither should australia, new zealand and  a dozen countries and regions.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 18:18

but when it comes to economic and political influence, those small countries are all off the league.

Personally I'd rather live in a country that takes good care of its citizens, that treats its citizens fair and right, and that offers to HELP other countries in need than one that tries to "exert" influence in the economic and political scenes and that has aggressive expansionist policies, but can't even feed its citizens and has huge income and regional disparities within its border.

Even though countries like Norway, Sweden, Iceland, the Netherlands, etc. are small, the respect they've earned from the international community is no less than that of any so-called "powers". These countries are countries that set the records for the whole world in human rights, in egalitarianism, and in social progressivism.

I would  like to see a Chinese person being proud of his or her nationality because of China being a benevolent rather than a belligerent country.  

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 18:40

To Flyingzone:

I agreeed with your last part, once the issue across the strait settled, it will be time for the way of "king" (¤ý) rather than the way of "conqueror" (ÅQ).

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 19:18

Personally I'd rather live in a country that takes good care of its citizens, that treats its citizens fair and right, and that offers to HELP other countries in need than one that tries to "exert" influence in the economic and political scenes and that has aggressive expansionist policies, but can't even feed its citizens and has huge income and regional disparities within its border.

Even though countries like Norway, Sweden, Iceland, the Netherlands, etc. are small, the respect they've earned from the international community is no less than that of any so-called "powers". These countries are countries that set the records for the whole world in human rights, in egalitarianism, and in social progressivism.

I would  like to see a Chinese person being proud of his or her nationality because of China being a benevolent rather than a belligerent country.  

i doubt you would have the same personal preference when you know all these countries you mentioned have an income tax rate of 50 percent.

plus, netherland isn't one of the countries that fall into your standard of benevolence. it also practiced imperialism. indonesia was part of the dutch oversea empire. the only developed countries that are not part of or have never practiced imperialism are switzerland and sweden. and that's about it. 50 percent tax rate, no super rich but mostly middle class.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 23:35

i doubt you would have the same personal preference when you know all these countries you mentioned have an income tax rate of 50 percent.

plus, netherland isn't one of the countries that fall into your standard of benevolence. it also practiced imperialism. indonesia was part of the dutch oversea empire. the only developed countries that are not part of or have never practiced imperialism are switzerland and sweden. and that's about it. 50 percent tax rate, no super rich but mostly middle class.

Perhaps you seldom read my other posts and do not know my stand on social policies. I am all for income redistribution and generous social programmes.

It seems you have a preference for a skewed income distribution with a small % of super-rich controlling the bulk of a country's wealth. That's fine. It's your preference. Cannot dispute with someone's preference. In any case, it seems this is the direction that China is heading anyway, so this will probably make you happy.

Countries that are socially progressive today do not necessarily have the most glorious past. (FYI, Sweden WAS an imperial power too, but its expansionist ambition was somewhat confined to Northern Europe e.g. Finland). When I talk about benevolence and social progressivism, I always refer to issues such as gender equality, minority rights, environmental awareness, socfal justice, things that may not be of too much of importance to you given your fixation on territorial expansion, political and economic dominance, and military might.

The Nordic countries and the Low countries consistently spend a much larger proportion of their GDP on foreign aid than most other countries. And ever since the end of the era of Imperialism, these countries have essentially been engaging in extremely peaceful foreign policies.

In exalting the Nordic and the Low countries as "exemplary countries", I am not trying to (1) assert that these countries are "perfect" - no country is and (2) I am also not tryting to give any excuse for their imperialist past, but again, which country does not have a skeleton hidden in its historical closet? But I think, if I may say, a difference between you and I is that I have very little inclination to engage in national or cultural chauvinism of any kind whereas your world view is almost entirely dominated by your sinocentricism. I have no qualms about criticizing Canada and pointing out its shameful past, e.g. its treatment of the Native People, its past racist immigration policies, etc.

Sino Defender, it is one thing to love your country, it is another to do it the way you do. One of the most destructive forces in human history is the adherence to any kind of extreme "ism". Remember why you harbour so much hatred towards the Japanese nation? It's because of their brutal and shameful invasion of China. And how did that happen? It all probably started with someone with extreme nationalist and militaristic views, not unlike yours, ascended to power and had their personal agenda turned into the national agenda. What a horror that it had created!!!! Do you really want history to repeat itself, only this time it's China being the creator of those horrors?

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 23:42

Perhaps you seldom read my other posts and do not know my stand on social policies. I am all for income redistribution and generous social programmes.

It seems you have a preference for a skewed income distribution with a small % of super-rich controlling the bulk of a country's wealth. That's fine. It's your preference. Cannot dispute with someone's preference. In any case, it seems this is the direction that China is heading anyway, so this will probably make you happy.

Countries that are socially progressive today do not necessarily have the most glorious past. (FYI, Sweden WAS an imperial power too, but its expansionist ambition was somewhat confined to Northern Europe e.g. Finland). When I talk about benevolence and social progressivism, I always refer to issues such as gender equality, minority rights, environmental awareness, socfal justice, things that may not be of too much of importance to you given your fixation on territorial expansion, political and economic dominance, and military might.

The Nordic countries and the Low countries consistently spend a much larger proportion of their GDP on foreign aid than most other countries. And ever since the end of the era of Imperialism, these countries have essentially been engaging in extremely peaceful foreign policies.

In exalting the Nordic and the Low countries as "exemplary countries", I am not trying to (1) assert that these countries are "perfect" - no country is and (2) I am also not tryting to give any excuse for their imperialist past, but again, which country does not have a skeleton hidden in its historical closet? But I think, if I may say, a difference between you and I is that I have very little inclination to engage in national or cultural chauvinism of any kind whereas your world view is almost entirely dominated by your sinocentricism. I have no qualms about criticizing Canada and pointing out its shameful past, e.g. its treatment of the Native People, its past racist immigration policies, etc.

Sino Defender, it is one thing to love your country, it is another to do it the way you do. One of the most destructive forces in human history is the adherence to any kind of extreme "ism". Remember why you harbour so much hatred towards the Japanese nation? It's because of their brutal and shameful invasion of China. And how did that happen? It all probably started with someone with extreme nationalist and militaristic views, not unlike yours, ascended to power and had their personal agenda turned into the national agenda. What a horror that it had created!!!! Do you really want history to repeat itself, only this time it's China being the creator of those horrors?

perhaps, you don't know much about economics. big governments usually result in worse economic performance. an ideal society is a free economy with a very low tax rate. just let the people do whatever, and the economy will prosper. having a high tax rate to try to take care of people usually makes the economy worse off. a truly rich society is a society with a number of big rich and a great number of middle class. not a boring economy with all middle class and no real entrepreneur spirit.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 23:43
i am glad that you know the european economy was developed based upon imperialism.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 00:01

perhaps, you don't know much about economics. big governments usually result in worse economic performance. an ideal society is a free economy with a very low tax rate. just let the people do whatever, and the economy will prosper. having a high tax rate to try to take care of people usually makes the economy worse off. a truly rich society is a society with a number of big rich and a great number of middle class. not a boring economy with all middle class and no real entrepreneur spirit.

i am glad that you know the european economy was developed based upon imperialism.

I actually find your assumption of me being ignorant about such basic economics and basic historical facts kind of cute  .  When I was 22, I also assumed I knew a lot, or at least more than everyone around me.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 09:27

if you read carefully, the words "reunify" and "reclaim" weren't used on singapore.

Take back has the same meaning as reclaim.

In any case, you have not shown what has Singapore got to do China?

If flimsy grounds are good enough, why not go for California or the United States?

After all, there's some proposal that the Chinese "discovered" American way before the Columbus.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 13:44

Take back has the same meaning as reclaim.

In any case, you have not shown what has Singapore got to do China?

If flimsy grounds are good enough, why not go for California or the United States?

After all, there's some proposal that the Chinese "discovered" American way before the Columbus.

the word "take back" wasn't used on singapore. "incorporated" was the word used on singapore, and i didn't mean militarily incorporated.

-------------

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 02:15
Sino Defender,

Singapore (aswell as Tawain) are very successful countries in their own right. There is nothing beijing can offer them that they cant already provide for themselves.

The taking of the spratly's or the south china sea will only flag to the asean countries & australia that a expansionist agressive policy will be pursued by beijings rulers and hence they will arm up. It will only marginalise the PRC in the region.

Talk of grabing russian far east, and mongolia is simply imperialist and inflamatory. There is talk that bejings eyes the resources to its north (and in central Asia) but russia is no light weight and your fanatsies can only mean war at a massive scale in reality.

as far as im concerned chinese rule in sinkiang, yunnan, nei mongol or any tibetan province was to the benefit of the chinese not the locals. So they have every right to resist beijings rule.

Imperialism in all forms, either from the west or east is abhorant and should be resisted by all of us.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 02:20

Osmanli makes a very good point, if you use ethnicity as an excuse for expansion . That would mean the PRC itself has to be defined along ethnic lines. Which inturn means that ethnic non han areas are no longer chinese by right. You cant have it both ways.

There is a total difference between ethnic identity and citizenship.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 02:40
Originally posted by Leonidas

Osmanli makes a very good point, if you use ethnicity as an excuse for expansion . That would mean the PRC itself has to be defined along ethnic lines. Which inturn means that ethnic non han areas are no longer chinese by right. You cant have it both ways.

There is a total difference between ethnic identity and citizenship.

well, taiwan must be with china even if it means , east turkistan, tibet and mongolia are to be gone. taiwan is a chinese province, not a country.

-------------

Posted By: OSMANLI
Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 04:12

"well, taiwan must be with china even if it means , east turkistan, tibet and mongolia are to be gone. taiwan is a chinese province, not a country."

Agreed

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 07:11
Ive always liked tawain but ill trade it in for tibet, nei mongol and east turkistan any day

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 09:34

the word "take back" wasn't used on singapore. "incorporated" was the word used on singapore, and i didn't mean militarily incorporated.

Then specify what you mean. Why pick on Singapore?

Why not the Ryukus or Japan? Historically, these territories (or some parts of these territories) acknowledged China as overlord and themselves in the status of vassals.

But not Singapore.

Why not Korea or Vietnam?

If Alberto Fujimori had been a Chinese descent instead of Japanese, would Peru be included?

Posted By: The Charioteer
Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 10:00

Sino Defender

Have you ever met any Singaporeans? all my 4 tenants are  Chinese-Singaporean,  and trust me, you'd spend alot of time to "re-educate" them, if you are serious about your plan. i wouldnt be willing to help.

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 10:16
Originally posted by The Charioteer

Have you ever met any Singaporeans? all my 4 tenants are  Chinese-Singaporean,  and trust me, you'd spend alot of time to "re-educate" them, if you are serious about your plan

Can you explain to avoid potential misinterpretations of your statement? I hope you mean the Singaporeans have such a strong Singaporean  national identity that it is naive to think that they would identify with the PRC as their "mother country".  

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 11:31

Ive always liked tawain but ill trade it in for tibet, nei mongol and east turkistan any day

the issue of taiwan is emotionally, culturally, and politically attached with every chinese of chinese blood. it's not like tibet, east turkistan, and mongolia. the province of taiwan is part of the han culture.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 13:17
I think there's a rather significant "de-sinification" movement going on in Taiwan but I don't know how "mainstream" that movement is. I am not disputing that the majority of the Taiwanese (the indigenous Taiwanese are not "Han" people) are ethnically-speaking Han. I am just saying that the extent of "emotional, cultural, and political attachment" of the Taiwanese people to continental China may not be as "complete" as is insinuated here, especially given decades of Taiwan's independent sociocultural, economic, and political development from Mainland China.   

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:09

I think there's a rather significant "de-sinification" movement going on in Taiwan but I don't know how "mainstream" that movement is. I am not disputing that the majority of the Taiwanese (the indigenous Taiwanese are not "Han" people) are ethnically-speaking Han. I am just saying that the extent of "emotional, cultural, and political attachment" of the Taiwanese people to continental China may not be as "complete" as is insinuated here, especially given decades of Taiwan's independent sociocultural, economic, and political development from Mainland China.   

taiwan's population is not the majority of the chinese population. i am saying the majority of the chinese population of 1.3 billions.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:20

There seems to be small movements to emphasize aboriginal culture, change the name from Republic of China to Taiwan, and to even create a new writing system.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 14:57

There seems to be small movements to emphasize aboriginal culture, change the name from Republic of China to Taiwan, and to even create a new writing system.

that's why i've always expected a war between both sides. america also fought a war to gain its independence. if taiwan wanted to be independent, it also would have to fight a war.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 00:21
Tawain should be alowed to vote for what it wants, and most importantly without fear.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:06

Tawain should be alowed to vote for what it wants, and most importantly without fear.

that's not realistic.

-------------

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:24

i have a question

why china wants to expand more? i mean ok there are many chines living outside china but china itself is huge, and the population is huge. why adding more people to govern??

what Taiwan will add to china ?

or its just economy matters?

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 02:38
Originally posted by azimuth

i have a question

why china wants to expand more? i mean ok there are many chines living outside china but china itself is huge, and the population is huge. why adding more people to govern??

taiwan has always been part of china under the repubic of china's government that once ruled all china. china is not trying to expand more, but to reunify. it's like the east and west germany issue, but only the mainland is much larger than the province of taiwan.

it is nothing about the economy. mainland china's gdp as a whole is much larger than that of taiwan. a war between mainland china and taiwan will probably result in a loss of gdp much greater than any gains in economic sense that china might need a few decades to recover.

it is about national and cultural unity. the chinese have been fighting for the unification of china for thousands of years.

taiwan is a very core part of the han culture. you might argue about tibet, inner mongolia, and east turkistan where the han culture isn't native. i am not denying anything, and i admit that tibet, inner mongolia, and east turkistan are part of china because of our military might.

but for taiwan, it's part of the han culture that china will risk everything holding on to it.

history has taught us that china can only be strong when it's unified. whenever china was divided, the country sufferred foreign inhuminations. a strong china is not what japan and the us want to see, and they are trying to delay the reunification of china

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 03:34

taiwan has always been part of china under the repubic of china's government that once ruled all china. china is not trying to expand more, but to reunify. it's like the east and west germany issue, but only the mainland is much larger than the province of taiwan.

Historically, Taiwan had already been ceded to Japan in 1895 after the First Sino-Japanese War, and thus was not part of the Republic of China that was founded in 1911.

The ROC only took control of Taiwan in 1945 after Japan was defeated.

but for taiwan, it's part of the han culture that china will risk everything holding on to it.

Perhaps Taiwan is part of the Han culture, perhaps it is not.

But there is no rule nor logic that says those of the same culture must be part of the same nation.

Sukarno tried the same argument in claiming Malaysia and Singapore to be part of Indonesia.

Hitler did the same in claiming union of Germany with Austria, Czechoslovakia and Poland. He was even welcomed in parts of the invaded territories with strong presence of "ethnic Germans".

Let's not forget what happened in former Yugoslavia when some Serbs tried to assert the ideology of "Greater Serbia".

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 03:51

Though I don't agree with most of Sino Sword's statements, Taiwan issue was far more complicated than what most of westerner thought.

First, reunification of Taiwan was not driven by expansionism nor imperialsim. It had far more nationalistic, ethnic and emotional attachment. Taiwan was ceded because of Sino-Japanese War of 1945, it was first Han-dominated province ever surrenderd to the foreign power under Q'ing. The involment of national pride/shame on this issue was too great, especially most of pro-independists were also pro-Japanese.

The de-sinification movement in Taiwan was more a political movement rather than a genuine culture revolution. Let's put this way, many de-sinification tactics involved in protraying mainlanders or Chinese civilization in general as pure evil. Some of the pro-independist or de-sinification advoctors went as far as denying the existence of Nanking Massacre or refering all Chinese as pigs.

As a "mainlander" growing up in Taipei, I personally experienced the political fanatism going on the island right now. The island is now devided by two camps that swear to destroy each other (though the statement is abit exagerate) -  Conflicts within the political arena and among the general population raised as days gone by. The blinded political, ethnic frenzy was similar to pre-civil war American or even pre-Nazi germany.

The facts is (not exaggerated): if the pro-independent faction dare to declare independence, the pro-unification faction will immediately join with PRC and began a civil war. Both sides were willing to turn gun to their neighbours...

PS: If there are more Han Chinese residents in Tibet than Tibetans, and they want to remain unify with China dispite their Tibetan's will (only assumption)... how do you justify the idependence and what will you do with all the Han Chinese residents?

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 19:44

Historically, Taiwan had already been ceded to Japan in 1895 after the First Sino-Japanese War, and thus was not part of the Republic of China that was founded in 1911.

The ROC only took control of Taiwan in 1945 after Japan was defeated.

Perhaps Taiwan is part of the Han culture, perhaps it is not.

But there is no rule nor logic that says those of the same culture must be part of the same nation.

Sukarno tried the same argument in claiming Malaysia and Singapore to be part of Indonesia.

Hitler did the same in claiming union of Germany with Austria, Czechoslovakia and Poland. He was even welcomed in parts of the invaded territories with strong presence of "ethnic Germans".

Let's not forget what happened in former Yugoslavia when some Serbs tried to assert the ideology of "Greater Serbia".

hong kong was ceded to britain in 1842, and is still part of china. china didn't control hong kong until 1997. foreign invasion doesn't make the splitting of chinese territories legitimate.

taiwan is part of the han culture, and even more so than mainland china itself after the cultural revolution. the traditional chinese culture, values, customs, and artifests survived because of taiwan. there is no question about it.

taiwan is part of china not because only of its culture, but all kinds of reasons. if it wanted to declare independence, there would be no alternative other than fighting a war against china. that's reality. face it.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 19:49

for dream: yes, the immigration of han chinese into tibet and xinjiang has made it almost impossible for any future independent movements to succeed as the han chinese have become, more or less, the majority of these regions. that's a smart way of keeping this land for china forever.

-------------

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 20:00

i have a question

I think many of us feel that the Chinese are very pragmatic and reasonable people.  However, I also understand that the Chinese consider all Chinese, wherever they are, and whenever they were born, to be Chinese.  There is a certain sense that the Chinese diaspora is a "part of China."

There are large Chinese populations in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, not to mention Taiwan.  It is possible that, in future, China may look on those ethnic Chinese as the Germans did the Germans of Poland and Czechoslovakia - ethnic kin to be "protected."  It could be an emotional attachment, but it could also be only a pretext for controlling strategic areas and economic resources necessary for the PRC (or whatever follows that).

I do not claim expert knowledge, but there seems to be a return to the concept that the "Middle Kingdom" is the center of all; that everything radiates from there and that other cultures are "barbarian" and that there is a rightness to the expansion of superior Chinese-Confucian civilization.

Just an observation.

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 20:23
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

i have a question

I think many of us feel that the Chinese are very pragmatic and reasonable people.  However, I also understand that the Chinese consider all Chinese, wherever they are, and whenever they were born, to be Chinese.  There is a certain sense that the Chinese diaspora is a "part of China."

There are large Chinese populations in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, not to mention Taiwan.  It is possible that, in future, China may look on those ethnic Chinese as the Germans did the Germans of Poland and Czechoslovakia - ethnic kin to be "protected."  It could be an emotional attachment, but it could also be only a pretext for controlling strategic areas and economic resources necessary for the PRC (or whatever follows that).

I do not claim expert knowledge, but there seems to be a return to the concept that the "Middle Kingdom" is the center of all; that everything radiates from there and that other cultures are "barbarian" and that there is a rightness to the expansion of superior Chinese-Confucian civilization.

Just an observation.

the issue of taiwan is completely different. it is not expansion but reunification. national unity is very important to the chinese, and thousands of wars and battles were fought for just that one reason in history.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 20:52

Part of the reason why the PRC is pressing on the Taiwan reunification issue is Tibet and Xinjiang.  If Taiwan breaks away officially, what precedent will it set for Tibet and Xinjiang?

From a strategic point of view, if I were the president of the People's Republic of China, and I had to choose between Tibet and Taiwan, I would pick Tibet.  Of course, Taiwan has its geopolicial advantages, but losing Tibet or Xinjiang officially is ten times worse strategically than seeing Taiwan break away.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 21:19

Part of the reason why the PRC is pressing on the Taiwan reunification issue is Tibet and Xinjiang.  If Taiwan breaks away officially, what precedent will it set for Tibet and Xinjiang?

From a strategic point of view, if I were the president of the People's Republic of China, and I had to choose between Tibet and Taiwan, I would pick Tibet.  Of course, Taiwan has its geopolicial advantages, but losing Tibet or Xinjiang officially is ten times worse strategically than seeing Taiwan break away.

that's because prc does not control taiwan now and enjoys no strategic advantage from taiwan. taiwan can actually provide prc with the best strategic location to access the resources in the pacific to which tibet and xinjiang cannot compare. tibet serves as a barrier for india, but with modern technology, missiles can easily fly over. so such an advantage is gone. xinjiang is mainly known for its resources and ideal position to export influence to central asia. however, the potential gain from having access to the pacific as well as south china sea is far more than what is attributing to prc by tibet and xinjiang not to mention about the total gdp of taiwan being much larger than tibet and xinjiang combined.

if i had to choose between tibet+xinjiang and taiwan, also known as the unsinkable aircraft carrier by some, i would choose taiwan.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 21:19

Poirot:

I don't think Taiwan has any specific strategic value to China.  The issue seems to be more about building reputation by demonstrations of influence and power where there are no longer strategic interests on the part of former adversaries (Hong Kong - Britain; Taiwan - U.S.) or where the former adversary cannot resist (Influence in Korea - Japan).

Tough talk over Taiwan when the U.S. is not willing to go to war over it, or increasing influence in the two Koreas where Japan can no longer do anything about it and the U.S. is close to leaving, are substantial extensions of Chinese influence "on the cheap."  The reacquisition of Hong Kong was treated almost as a conquest.  Moves into Indochina, Malaya or Indonesia, and meddling in Latin America could have more serious consequences.  Those would affect vital interests of India and the U.S.

Chinese activities in Venezuela might very well provoke opposition from Brazil which is a long way from China.  The new kids are feeling their way, but they need to be careful.

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 21:46

Is this the "diaspora" imperative?

Today Taiwan; tomorrow Singapore, then.....what?

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 21:56

hong kong was ceded to britain in 1842, and is still part of china. china didn't control hong kong until 1997. foreign invasion doesn't make the splitting of chinese territories legitimate.

The resumption of Chinese control over HK & Macao were negotiated by the Chinese government with the governments of UK & Portugal respectively.

Can China negotiate with Japan for the return of Taiwan?

First, my point was to refute the your statement that Taiwan had always been under the ROC, I pointed out ROC which was established in 1911 only took control of Taiwan in 1945.

Second, HK & Macao were not in the position as Taiwan today. The decision of being returned to Chinese control were made by the governments of UK & Portugal respectively, the HK people and Macao people had nary a choice.

that's reality. face it.

So we're talking realpolitiks now?

Then all the claims about historical claims and Han culture etc were just excuses and superficial.

The real truth is, it is a matter of "might makes right", isn't it?

And therefore, the reason for dropping Korea and Vietnam and parts of Japan which historically accepted Chinese suzerainity was because "a bully never picks on somebody his own size".

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 22:05

The resumption of Chinese control over HK & Macao were negotiated by the Chinese government with the governments of UK & Portugal respectively.

Can China negotiate with Japan for the return of Taiwan?

First, my point was to refute the your statement that Taiwan had always been under the ROC, I pointed out ROC which was established in 1911 only took control of Taiwan in 1945.

Second, HK & Macao were not in the position as Taiwan today. The decision of being returned to Chinese control were made by the governments of UK & Portugal respectively, the HK people and Macao people had nary a choice.

that's reality. face it.

So we're talking realpolitiks now?

Then all the claims about historical claims and Han culture etc were just excuses and superficial.

The real truth is, it is a matter of "might makes right", isn't it?

And therefore, the reason for dropping Korea and Vietnam and parts of Japan which historically accepted Chinese suzerainity was because "a bully never picks on somebody his own size".

why should we negotiate with japan for the return of taiwan? taiwan is no longer a japanese colony. taiwan is already part of china, known as the republic of china, a chinese government established in 1912.

both mainland china and taiwan are part of china. neither makes up entire china. they both belong to one china with the mainland under the rule of the prc and the province of taiwan and part of the fujian province under the rule of roc.

china negotiated with britain only for the terms of returning hong kong. the return of hong kong to chinese sovereighty was definite. they were only negotiating in what way hong kong was to be returned, not whether it would be.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 22:24
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Poirot:

I don't think Taiwan has any specific strategic value to China.  The issue seems to be more about building reputation by demonstrations of influence and power where there are no longer strategic interests on the part of former adversaries (Hong Kong - Britain; Taiwan - U.S.) or where the former adversary cannot resist (Influence in Korea - Japan).

Tough talk over Taiwan when the U.S. is not willing to go to war over it, or increasing influence in the two Koreas where Japan can no longer do anything about it and the U.S. is close to leaving, are substantial extensions of Chinese influence "on the cheap."  The reacquisition of Hong Kong was treated almost as a conquest.  Moves into Indochina, Malaya or Indonesia, and meddling in Latin America could have more serious consequences.  Those would affect vital interests of India and the U.S.

Chinese activities in Venezuela might very well provoke opposition from Brazil which is a long way from China.  The new kids are feeling their way, but they need to be careful.

The Taiwan Strait has strategic importance.  The strategic importance of Taiwan to China is similiar to Cuba to the United States - an eyesore.  I apologize for the term, but for the PRC, the Taiwan Strait is like the Gulf of Mexico or the Caribbean.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 22:29

that's because prc does not control taiwan now and enjoys no strategic advantage from taiwan. taiwan can actually provide prc with the best strategic location to access the resources in the pacific to which tibet and xinjiang cannot compare. tibet serves as a barrier for india, but with modern technology, missiles can easily fly over. so such an advantage is gone. xinjiang is mainly known for its resources and ideal position to export influence to central asia. however, the potential gain from having access to the pacific as well as south china sea is far more than what is attributing to prc by tibet and xinjiang not to mention about the total gdp of taiwan being much larger than tibet and xinjiang combined.

if i had to choose between tibet+xinjiang and taiwan, also known as the unsinkable aircraft carrier by some, i would choose taiwan.

Just to illustrate the importance of Tibet to the PRC, the source of both the Yellow River and the Yangtze River are in Tibet/Qinghai. 

As to the importance of Xinjiang, cities like Shanghai cannot survive witouth natural gas pumped from there.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 22:37

Population lived in Taiwan really don't think this is about stratgeic issue anymore...

Also, issue of Taiwan's reunification is a "totally" different issue than Chinese expansion. As I said before, the reunification right now is not about profit or strategy (or maybe only too lesser extend), it is about something more emotional and nationalistic

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 23:11

why should we negotiate with japan for the return of taiwan? taiwan is no longer a japanese colony. taiwan is already part of china, known as the republic of china, a chinese government established in 1912.

So why did you bring up HK in the first place?

In what way does HK reinforce any of your argument about Taiwan?

both mainland china and taiwan are part of china. neither makes up entire china. they both belong to one china with the mainland under the rule of the prc and the province of taiwan and part of the fujian province under the rule of roc.

Reality is, historical associations is not the determining factor in whether a territory belong to a particular country.

The birthplace of the Russian identity / culture was in Kiev. Kiev today is part of Ukraine, not Russia.

It is de facto.

Whether Taiwan is part of China will not be determined by rhetorical assertions or appeal to historical precedents.

It will be determined by whether the people of Taiwan wants to consider themselves part of China, and whether they can prevail against those who oppose it.

It will be a contest of willpower, military and everything.

Everything else is just an excuse.

Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 23:47

Very well said. I always insist that, even for something that is as apparently "real" as nationhood, it is nothing more than an "imagined community" constructed by historians, politicians, etc. to, paradoxically, justify their existence.

Yesterday it was a nation, today it is not, but tomorrow it may be again.  

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 00:41

So why did you bring up HK in the first place?

In what way does HK reinforce any of your argument about Taiwan?

Reality is, historical associations is not the determining factor in whether a territory belong to a particular country.

The birthplace of the Russian identity / culture was in Kiev. Kiev today is part of Ukraine, not Russia.

It is de facto.

Whether Taiwan is part of China will not be determined by rhetorical assertions or appeal to historical precedents.

It will be determined by whether the people of Taiwan wants to consider themselves part of China, and whether they can prevail against those who oppose it.

i brought up hong kong because it was wrong of you using the colonial period of taiwan to support your argument. so i brought up hong kong as a similar example to illustrate how wrong it would be to apply your concept. i am glad that you've realized it yourself now.

the reality is whoever is strong has the call. under no circumstances can taiwan compete with mainland china in terms of economics, military, political influence, potential, growth, and almost everything.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 00:43
just a side note, if there hadn't been a similar thread called "the united korea", i am sure this thread of "the united china" would have been moved from the east asia part of the forum by our beloved moderator of this section.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 02:33

i brought up hong kong because it was wrong of you using the colonial period of taiwan to support your argument. so i brought up hong kong as a similar example to illustrate how wrong it would be to apply your concept. i am glad that you've realized it yourself now.

On the contary, it was you who made the mistake - you first claimed that Taiwan was under ROC rule all the while - but that is historically inaccurate.

When that was pointed out to you, you tried to use the example of HK being ceded from China half a century before Taiwan and now is reunified with China today.

But you forgot - HK was returned to China by the UK.

On the other hand, China cannot ask Japan to return Taiwan since  Japan had already relinquished control over Taiwan in 1945.

Taiwan today is a free agent, HK never was. There is relevancy between the case of HK & the case of Taiwan.

You already made a mistake in claiming Taiwan was always under the ROC, and instead of admitting it, you are now just coming up with more and more irrelevancies..

the reality is whoever is strong has the call. under no circumstances can taiwan compete with mainland china in terms of economics, military, political influence, potential, growth, and almost everything.

That is just an empty boast.

Even if all the advantages you cited mainland China holds is true (a BIG PRESUMPTION), Taiwan need not yield if it did not want to.

Those advantages count only if mainland China actually declares war, and that is an unlikely event under the present circumstances.

Unless the people of mainland China can become so cold-blooded to attack and kill their supposed fellow citizens, war is just an empty threat.

And as long as the USA continues its commitment to defend Taiwan against invasion, there is little chance of victory by the PRC.

And because mainland Chinese leaders recognise that the use of force is counter-productive and mutually devastating, war is not even a viable option - any victory would be Phyrric and leave the CCP government weak, precipitating a break up of China which the central government would be powerless to stop.

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 04:11

Might and economics make right.  In the real world, strength determines outcome.

Of course, it is right to respect the wishes of inhabitants of Taiwan.  It is the right thing to do.  But reality may be different.

In terms of Hong Kong, I always harbored a theory about it: The PRC actually did not want Hong Kong back earlier than 1997.  The reason?  Hong Kong served as a middleman between the PRC and Europe/Southeast Asia. 

The PRC could have easily taken control of Hong Kong circa 1949, but it decided not to.  Opponents of my theory would argue that the British fleet yadda yadda, but the truth is, the British were nonfactors in the Chinese Civil War and would not be able to resist a communist invasion of Hong Kong.  In an age when the reckless PRC crossed the Yalu to confront Americans in Korea, the British were an afterthought.

Then why didn't the PRC take Hong Kong between 1949 and the start of the Korean War?  Well, because the PRC needed Hong Kong as a window to the West.  Hong Kong's importance emerged later when the U.S. blockaded the PRC.  Important supplies exchanged hands with Hong Kong businessmen serving as valued middlemen.  In a sense, Hong Kong merchants were true Chinese patriots.

An added benefit of the PRC intentionally keeping Hong Kong outside of direct PRC control: Britain was the first major allied power to recognize the PRC's legitmacy, in 1954.

From 1949 to the late 1970s, Hong Kong's independent status from the PRC reaped benefits for the PRC.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 04:31

In a sense, Hong Kong merchants were true Chinese patriots.

Never has patriotism been so lucrative!

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 04:34

In a sense, Hong Kong merchants were true Chinese patriots.

Never has patriotism been so lucrative!

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 10:05

On the contary, it was you who made the mistake - you first claimed that Taiwan was under ROC rule all the while - but that is historically inaccurate.

When that was pointed out to you, you tried to use the example of HK being ceded from China half a century before Taiwan and now is reunified with China today.

But you forgot - HK was returned to China by the UK.

On the other hand, China cannot ask Japan to return Taiwan since  Japan had already relinquished control over Taiwan in 1945.

Taiwan today is a free agent, HK never was. There is relevancy between the case of HK & the case of Taiwan.

You already made a mistake in claiming Taiwan was always under the ROC, and instead of admitting it, you are now just coming up with more and more irrelevancies..

That is just an empty boast.

Even if all the advantages you cited mainland China holds is true (a BIG PRESUMPTION), Taiwan need not yield if it did not want to.

Those advantages count only if mainland China actually declares war, and that is an unlikely event under the present circumstances.

Unless the people of mainland China can become so cold-blooded to attack and kill their supposed fellow citizens, war is just an empty threat.

And as long as the USA continues its commitment to defend Taiwan against invasion, there is little chance of victory by the PRC.

And because mainland Chinese leaders recognise that the use of force is counter-productive and mutually devastating, war is not even a viable option - any victory would be Phyrric and leave the CCP government weak, precipitating a break up of China which the central government would be powerless to stop.

i said taiwan was under the rule of china. i didn't say it was the roc! the ming general, zheng, formed a chinese kingdom of dengling to resist the manchu until his grandson surrendered in the late 17th century. why dun we place a beg on this. 1000000000000 usd. if you would please copy me the text where i said taiwan was under roc control, then i will give you 100000000 usd.

one thing is for sure: if taiwan were to declare independence, china would attack. it's not a matter of anyone being cold-blooded. it's about national unity. i would prefer china destroyed along with taiwan to an independent taiwan.

taiwan is no longer part of japan. it is part of china, known as the republic of china. taiwan is currently part of china under a different government from the mainland. it's not a seperate entity trying to aviod invasion. it is a chinese region trying to break up with china.

do not assume mainland to be china and taiwan to be taiwan. none of these make entire china. mainland china is also part of china to which taiwan belongs to. rpc and roc are only chinese regimes governing different parts of china.

yes, no one wanna solve this by force. but that's only taiwan remains part of china. if taiwan declared independence, there would be no choice but to solve it by miliatary means. letting it independent is not an option. be it the devastation of the entire country's economy. we would have no choice if that's the case.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 10:13

Might and economics make right.  In the real world, strength determines outcome.

Of course, it is right to respect the wishes of inhabitants of Taiwan.  It is the right thing to do.  But reality may be different.

In terms of Hong Kong, I always harbored a theory about it: The PRC actually did not want Hong Kong back earlier than 1997.  The reason?  Hong Kong served as a middleman between the PRC and Europe/Southeast Asia. 

The PRC could have easily taken control of Hong Kong circa 1949, but it decided not to.  Opponents of my theory would argue that the British fleet yadda yadda, but the truth is, the British were nonfactors in the Chinese Civil War and would not be able to resist a communist invasion of Hong Kong.  In an age when the reckless PRC crossed the Yalu to confront Americans in Korea, the British were an afterthought.

Then why didn't the PRC take Hong Kong between 1949 and the start of the Korean War?  Well, because the PRC needed Hong Kong as a window to the West.  Hong Kong's importance emerged later when the U.S. blockaded the PRC.  Important supplies exchanged hands with Hong Kong businessmen serving as valued middlemen.  In a sense, Hong Kong merchants were true Chinese patriots.

An added benefit of the PRC intentionally keeping Hong Kong outside of direct PRC control: Britain was the first major allied power to recognize the PRC's legitmacy, in 1954.

From 1949 to the late 1970s, Hong Kong's independent status from the PRC reaped benefits for the PRC.

very well said. that's completely true. china didn't take hk back in 1949 not because it could not as indicated by snowy. it could legally and realistically. but hk could provide china with a channel to the west.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com