Print Page | Close Window

Favorite culture

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9118
Printed Date: 28-Mar-2024 at 08:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite culture
Posted By: dorian
Subject: Favorite culture
Date Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 19:22

Which nation brought your favorite civilization?

-------------
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM

Replies:
Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 20:46
there are no 'best' civilizations. It is a waste of effort and time determining the 'best' of anything in history.

The best civilization is one that despenses of ego driven goals... but wait, this is impossible..ah we humans are wretched things.

Posted By: merced12
Date Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 06:15
 i think greeks and romans

-------------
http://www.turks.org.uk/ - http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 06:50

Originally posted by Aloeverate

there are no 'best' civilizations. It is a waste of effort and time determining the 'best' of anything in history.

The best civilization is one that despenses of ego driven goals... but wait, this is impossible..ah we humans are wretched things.

I knew that someone would say the cliche "there is no best civilization" that's why I use expressions like: "best", your favorite, in your opinion, to underline the subjectivity of the choices. But I didn't avoid this kind of comments.

-------------
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 21:12
is not the real cliche asking for a best civilisation in the first place, look back in the history of this forum and it's been done to death.

But i'll say the greeks just to make you feel better, thats what you were after right..

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 21:25

Thank you very much! We appreciate it!

-------------

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 12:27
I go with Aloeverate.The real magnifisence of a civilization is it's capability to respect other cultures and recognize their contributions,like Hellenism.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: Alkiviades
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 14:02
Yah, "best" civilization is a rather pointless question... you could've avoided the comments and backlash if you asked a more specific (like "more valuable in the course of mankind" or "more contributing in the history of mankind" or something even more restrictive) or a more subjective ("your favorite civilization" or something along these lines.

-------------
If you wanna play arrogant with me, you better have some very solid facts to back up that arrogance, or I'll tear you to pieces

Posted By: BlindOne
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 14:27

I see dorian that you change it to Favorite, nice .

Well my favorite culture is Greek-roman. Pure greeks isn't for me  . But well greek and roman culture have been come close then much nice thinks were born (Exept the acts in collosium ).

-------------
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Date Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 16:39

Blindone,

the word "best" (in quotation marks) was in my introductory comment and not in the question or in the topic's name.

The topic is: Favorite culture (is anywhere the word best?)

and the question is: What’s your favorite ancient civilization and culture? (is it here?) 

Nobody saw them? I think everyone can have a favorite culture, part of history etc. If I'm accused of that, just shoot me..

-------------

Posted By: sedamoun
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 03:36

How many threads - exactly like this one - has there been on AE ?

Somebody please call Guiness.

Cheers.

-------------

Posted By: BlindOne
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 05:41
Originally posted by dorian

Blindone,

the word "best" (in quotation marks) was in my introductory comment and not in the question or in the topic's name.

and the question is: What’s your favorite ancient civilization and culture? (is it here?) 

Nobody saw them? I think everyone can have a favorite culture, part of history etc. If I'm accused of that, just shoot me..

Mate i am with you, I have no intantion to shoot anyone, well expect some of my friends .

I just wanted to express my thoughts that the word favorite fits better than the word best ( if i saw wrong then i apologise to you, but in the begging haven't you put the word Best?)

-------------
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 05:56
Originally posted by sedamoun

How many threads - exactly like this one - has there been on AE

Actually, this and another one.

Thank you!

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 06:02
Originally posted by BlindOne

Blindone,

Mate i am with you, I have no intantion to shoot anyone, well expect some of my friends .

I just wanted to express my thoughts that the word favorite fits better than the word best ( if i saw wrong then i apologise to you, but in the begging haven't you put the word Best?)

The topic and the question were from the beginning like that. They cannot change! You saw wrong! That's why your nick is Blindone!  

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 06:36

Originally posted by sedamoun

How many threads - exactly like this one - has there been on AE

Actually, this and another one.

Thank you!

Aide re Kamaki... C'mon !

70 to 80% of topics are "who is the best..." "What is the greatest..." "What battle..." - and most recently and quite innovative i must say - "Most horrible massacre...".

All I am saying is that this kind of thread always leads to debates that goes in circles. Katalavez ?

Don't forget to always ëÝù ôç ãíþìç ìïõ åéëéêñéíÜ (÷ùñßò ðåñéóôñïöÝò).

Cheers.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 07:54

It's your right to share your opinion and ideas with us and it's my right to answer when something concerns me. In this forum we have the chance to post poll questions. If you don't like the "poll thing", sorry but nobody can help you. But you know, the fact that all the poll question starts with "who/what was the best/greatest...etc" doesn't mean that all the polls are the same. "What is your favorite mythology" for example, has nothing to do with "What's your favorite civilization" or "What was the strongest ancient army".

KáôÜ ôá Üëëá åßóáé êáé ï ðñþôïò!!

cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 08:04

Heheheeeee...

I am not content that my greek sentence didn't show... It was suposed to say "Don't forget to always say what your opinion is".

Cheers.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 08:16
It did show!

-------------

Posted By: Sino Defender
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 22:55
there's no point to vote as all the chinese would vote for chinese, all the europeans would vote for greek/roman, and the middle east people would vote for the arab culture.

-------------
"Whoever messes with the heavenly middle kingdom, no matter how far s/he escapes, s/he is to be slaughtered"

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 07:30

Originally posted by Sino Defender

there's no point to vote as all the chinese would vote for chinese, all the europeans would vote for greek/roman, and the middle east people would vote for the arab culture.

Kinda census huh?

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2006 at 16:24

Originally posted by BlindOne

Well my favorite culture is Greek-roman. Pure greeks isn't for me  . But well greek and roman culture have been come close then much nice thinks were born (Exept the acts in collosium ).

There isn't a pure greek culture? Usually, the name Greco-roman was used about the roman civilization because it was deeply affected by the greek. It doesn't mean that these two civilizations couldn't survive alone but only united.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2006 at 19:28

my favourite area ephesus

-------------
16th century world;
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india

Posted By: mamikon
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 15:25
why isnt Armenia on the list , but If to choose from the list I would say
the Greeks, their commitement to every practice in the world is far above
the others...I think, in the Ancient times, at least

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 16:05
Romans are my favourite. Greeks also contributed many great things to human civilization.

Posted By: Turkish Soul
Date Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 19:42
There are no best nations I think.I was also  a bit surprised when I could not see the Turks.If there is a comparing question, the asker should give the chance the answers to choose from objective ones.Alla nations wasn't written.I won't vote.

-------------
dardanos

Posted By: Halevi
Date Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 08:44
I must say Persian civilization is pretty cool, although its hard to separate it from the Islamic, and even Chinese, influences it absorbed. Im talking mostly about esthetic things like visual arts (miniatures, carpets, architecture, mosaics, etc) and *especially* traditional Persian music, which is amazing. Then, of course, there are the great Sufi poets, Mowlana (Rumi), Hafez, etc.

Other significant civilizations missing from the poll:

Buddhist civilization in general.. while not limited to one ethnic group or monarchy, there is quite a philosophical and artistic heritage there

Jewish civilization in general ... perhaps the most globally influential 'stateless civilization' (post-Roman expulsion), making countless contributions to many host civilzations

Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 18:21
Ottoman empire of course.

-------------
dardanos

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 18:57
Originally posted by Turkish Soul

You surprise me.
Unfortunately, the question in the "Ancient Mediterranean...Forum" clearly asks for an "Ancient" culture and, unless there is something that I don't know, the Ottoman culture hardly qualifies as "Ancient".
More attention, less patriotism!

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:17

Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by Turkish Soul

You surprise me.
Unfortunately, the question in the "Ancient Mediterranean...Forum" clearly asks for an "Ancient" culture and, unless there is something that I don't know, the Ottoman culture hardly qualifies as "Ancient".
More attention, less patriotism!

You're right.Sorry.I will be more careful.

-------------
dardanos

Posted By: RomiosArktos
Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 08:35
I would say Greco-Roman civilisation:this means  the wisdom and greatness of the Greeks in philosophical matters, in sciences and in technology mixed with the practical spirit of the Romans,the Roman law and their superb talent in organisation and in command.

Posted By: AthaNnikIcHaA
Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 09:06

Indian.

I mean Red-Indian.

-------------

Baingan Khaa Lo Baingan

Posted By: Neoptolemos
Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 05:48
As a Greek it's no surprise that my favourite civilization and culture is the Hellenic.
Apart from that, I also have great respect for Egyptians and Romans as well.

-------------

Posted By: Behi
Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 06:05
I'm Iranian & my choice is obvious.

the next choice is India

-------------

Posted By: Iranian41ife
Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 10:09
for me, the empires that have affected human history and civilisation the most are the romans, persians, chinese, and egyptians, but because this is a "your favourite civilisation thread" i would have to say persians then, DUH!

-------------
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War

Posted By: MYTHOS
Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 13:20
It's hard to be objective when you favour one civilization over the other.  They all deserve credit for how the world is shaped today... but... I'll go with the GREEKS.

Date Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 08:55
It's impossible to include all the alternative choices you want but the turkic isn't known as "ancient" and it was not a classic one, so I had to choose between more well known civilizations. The same about the armenian.

-------------

Posted By: Bashibozuk
Date Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 09:47

Why doesn't the poll give us any chance to Anatolian culture/civilisation? Anatolia is the exact bridge between East and West, where more than half of the historical treaties ever were signed, where hundreds of different religions and cultures from Galatians to Mongolians, from Romans to Persians, from Hittites to Turks, and people from Hannibal to Santa Claus, from Suleyman to Alexander, from the caliphs to St. Paul and Mary have passed through Anatolia is tha land where these different cultures were synthesized and digest.

Where the greatest mosques of Islamic world are built and where bible was written... Anatolia is not only a piece of land, or an ancient region, it is the home for both eastern and western civilisation and cultures. My vote should definatly be for Anatolia, the Hatti land, home of civilisations, where the sun rises and goes down. Anatolia, is the heaven, with Sakarya, Kizilirmak, Euphrates and Tigris...

-------------
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.

Date Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 12:39
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

Why doesn't the poll give us any chance to Anatolian culture/civilisation? Anatolia is the exact bridge between East and West, where more than half of the historical treaties ever were signed, where hundreds of different religions and cultures from Galatians to Mongolians, from Romans to Persians, from Hittites to Turks, and people from Hannibal to Santa Claus, from Suleyman to Alexander, from the caliphs to St. Paul and Mary have passed through Anatolia is tha land where these different cultures were synthesized and digest.

Where the greatest mosques of Islamic world are built and where bible was written... Anatolia is not only a piece of land, or an ancient region, it is the home for both eastern and western civilisation and cultures. My vote should definatly be for Anatolia, the Hatti land, home of civilisations, where the sun rises and goes down. Anatolia, is the heaven, with Sakarya, Kizilirmak, Euphrates and Tigris...

i agree,where is lydian,hittie,frigya culture.these cultures biggest than lot of on list

-------------
16th century world;
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india

Posted By: Richard Coyle
Date Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 13:38
The Greeks are number one for all time.

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 21:58
TURKISH SOUL.....all i can say is that the man taking off his glasses again, and again, AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!! IT IS FREAKIN ME OUT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com