Do muslims really embrace the west?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Scholarly Pursuits
Forum Name: Current Affairs
Forum Discription: Debates on topical, current World politics
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8922
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 15:15
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Do muslims really embrace the west?
Posted By: Loknar
Subject: Do muslims really embrace the west?
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 16:27

I must say, I am absolutely stunned. I thought, what was a protest, has now degraded into pure hate. In any protest, or boycott, this is unacceptable. Yes they have the freedom to say people who insult Islam should be beheaded.

But, the fact remains, why are they even in Europe? From these pictures I can only come to the conclusion that they hate Europe and if anybody insults Islam they want gallons of human blood on their hands.

I always believed "no not all Muslims are like that..." but looking at this how the hell can I still believe that? If I was a Muslim I'd worry allot about he reputation of my religion and not go around with such signs as "prepare for the real holocaust".

The real question is, do they really embrace western beliefs? I mean in general, not just on freedom of speech. It seems that they dont. Looking at these pictures how can I believe that these people love the west? I'd really suggest they move back to their homelands of they have such a problem with Europe. There are many developed nations outside the west, such as UAE and Saudi Arabia.

Then there are also Muslims in America. Muslims in America to my knowledge to participate in such radical protests. The usual Muslim in America is upper middle class and doesnt have a problem with the west.

This cartoon stuff has really forced me to reexamine my belief on Muslims (in Europe) and the west. I really thought that the ones in the west were not like the ones in the middle east, and that even the ones in the middle east were not all terrorists or had terrorist sympathies. But, and I ask a Muslim, how can I continue to believe that when i see these pictures?

Honestly, Im, quite shocked at this.

Replies:
Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 16:34

well since they are citizens (many are) in the "West" then they are part of the West.

-------------

Posted By: cebeci
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 16:40

no need for word-tricks azimuth

loknar is right

these pictures can not be justified

but west must also consider the real time conditions made these radicals emerge. Action brings reaction

this much is too much though

-------------
history is just a repetation of itself

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 16:47

of course cebeci I agree with you to a certain extent. But i believe overall, these terrorists that developed (in part due to the west) would have developed anyway even if we werent there.

The real goal of terrorists is to unite the Islamic world under a Caliph based on extreme Islam. The reason they are pointed against the west is because the west was always the biggest hindrance. If the west wasnt there theyd be doing it against their own governments.

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 16:48

iam not playing with anything, they are Westerners (living in the west) since they took the citizenship.

just wanted to clear that.

about the pictures i think they are too much and not acceptable.

maybe they are saying such things to show that "freedom of speach" like this could offend some Europeans. so they are practing it?

anyway still not acceptable , and signs like this shows ignorance since those people are in Europe too so the holocaust they are talking about will include them too.

-------------

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 16:50
Funny pictures...

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: Mila
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 16:54
You can find equally unacceptable points of view among those from every cultural background and members of every religion.

Look at nationalist protests in Serbia, or listen to Jewish ultranationlists in the West Bank, or anti-American protests anywhere in the world.

Just because the Islamic stream of this extremism is against you and the other forms generally aren't doesn't make the other forms any less disgusting or any less a part of the reality of the world.

You can allow something like this to form your impression of all Muslims, that's fine. But don't be surprised if we view all Christians by the slogans at Serbian Radical Party rallies ("The Muslims of Bosnia will be the fertilizer of a Greater Serbian state!") or all Jews by the signs leading into illegal settlements in the West Bank ("No dogs, no rats, no Arabs!").

-------------
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">

Posted By: TeldeIndus
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:02
Originally posted by Loknar

I must say, I am absolutely stunned. I thought, what was a protest, has now degraded into pure hate. In any protest, or boycott, this is unacceptable. Yes they have the freedom to say people who insult Islam should be beheaded.

But, the fact remains, why are they even in Europe? From these pictures I can only come to the conclusion that they hate Europe and if anybody insults Islam they want gallons of human blood on their hands.

I always believed "no not all Muslims are like that..." but looking at this how the hell can I still believe that? If I was a Muslim I'd worry allot about he reputation of my religion and not go around with such signs as "prepare for the real holocaust".

The real question is, do they really embrace western beliefs? I mean in general, not just on freedom of speech. It seems that they dont. Looking at these pictures how can I believe that these people love the west? I'd really suggest they move back to their homelands of they have such a problem with Europe. There are many developed nations outside the west, such as UAE and Saudi Arabia.

Then there are also Muslims in America. Muslims in America to my knowledge to participate in such radical protests. The usual Muslim in America is upper middle class and doesnt have a problem with the west.

This cartoon stuff has really forced me to reexamine my belief on Muslims (in Europe) and the west. I really thought that the ones in the west were not like the ones in the middle east, and that even the ones in the middle east were not all terrorists or had terrorist sympathies. But, and I ask a Muslim, how can I continue to believe that when i see these pictures?

Honestly, Im, quite shocked at this.

*BURPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP*

Stop acting like a fairy and vote for the far right, instead of trying to justify it like a poof

-------------
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:09
     I agree with Mila due to the simple fact that those pictures are not representative of the majority of Muslims. Most Muslims in the west generally embrace it as best as they can.

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:15

I am as angry at the fact these Muslims live in the west, yet seem to be totally unwilling to embrace our culture and values. These people are obviously not representative of all Muslims, but some of them live in my country but act like they are still back in their country of origin.

I believe if you live in a country you must adapt to its culture and way of life, I tire of people like those in the photos living here in the west but not caring one iota for us or the country they now reside in.

That is unacceptable as is the sick message they are sending, these kind of *protests* should be stopped immediately, its outrageous that they can say "behead those who insult Islam" yet if I in my own country say anything remotely negative about a Muslim or Islam in general i'd be likely to be arrested.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:22
Originally posted by Heraclius

I am as angry at the fact these Muslims live in the west, yet seem to be totally unwilling to embrace our culture and values. These people are obviously not representative of all Muslims, but some of them live in my country but act like they are still back in their country of origin.

I believe if you live in a country you must adapt to its culture and way of life, I tire of people like those in the photos living here in the west but not caring one iota for us or the country they now reside in.

That is unacceptable as is the sick message they are sending, these kind of *protests* should be stopped immediately, its outrageous that they can say "behead those who insult Islam" yet if I in my own country say anything remotely negative about a Muslim or Islam in general i'd be likely to be arrested.

I agree with you, they should got arrested or something for being such pro-extreem.

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:31
Originally posted by TeldeIndus

[

Stop acting like afairy and vote for the far right, instead of trying to justify it like a poof

Would you please care to explain above statement, I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:32

Those pics, do not represent the majority of muslims leaving in the West.Those in the pics should be deported back to their countries.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: sdavidr
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:33
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

I agree with Mila due to the simple fact that those pictures are not representative of the majority of Muslims. Most Muslims in the west generally embrace it as best as they can.

Yes, but the cartoonist represent the danish people or the western countries , no?

-------------

Posted By: DukeC
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:34

Originally posted by Mila

You can find equally unacceptable points of view among those from every cultural background and members of every religion.

Look at nationalist protests in Serbia, or listen to Jewish ultranationlists in the West Bank, or anti-American protests anywhere in the world.

Just because the Islamic stream of this extremism is against you and the other forms generally aren't doesn't make the other forms any less disgusting or any less a part of the reality of the world.

You can allow something like this to form your impression of all Muslims, that's fine. But don't be surprised if we view all Christians by the slogans at Serbian Radical Party rallies ("The Muslims of Bosnia will be the fertilizer of a Greater Serbian state!") or all Jews by the signs leading into illegal settlements in the West Bank ("No dogs, no rats, no Arabs!").

I agree, every community has it's radical fringe.

The KKK and Neo-Nazis don't represent America.

-------------

Posted By: Mila
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:39
Good point, sdavidr.

I agree with your reasoning, Spartakus, but I disagree with deporting them. That will just increase the likelihood they'll end up joining a terrorist organization and end up being an even greater problem in the future.

They are Western citizens, they should be treated as such. They should be charged with everything from disturbing the peace to promoting terrorism or issueing threats to treason.

They should be given the harshest sentences allowable under the law, even as high as the death penalty for treason here such a punishment exists.

This is something we can't afford to just sweep under our rug, or someone elses. It has to be confronted head on.

Free speech should be contained not by government but by a society's sense of responsibility. Papers should not be allowed to print such cartoons, which make no comment and serve no purpose - at least none which could not be expressed in equally shocking but less disrespectful ways.

And certainly citizens of any state should not be allowed to stand in full view of the public and wish death and destruction on any of their fellow countrymen.

-------------
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:46
Originally posted by sdavidr

I agree with Mila due to the simple fact that those
pictures are not representative of the majority of Muslims. Most
Muslims in the west generally embrace it as best as they can.
Yes, but the cartoonist represent the danish people or the western countries , no?

No they don't. Most western people in Western countries have expressed their disgust about the tasteless and xenophobic content of the cartoons.

But to use the quotation usually described to Voltaire: "I do not agree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:49

No. That was my point. The Muslims in the protests don't represent the majority of Muslims. Likewise, the Danish comic does not represent most Danes or westerners. Calling for economic embargos and torching embassies makes it seem like they are stereotyping the whole country after a silly comic.

-------------

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Voyager
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:49
Originally posted by azimuth

well since they are citizens (many are) in the "West" then they are part of the West.

Not quite. They emigrated to the West and they were given citizenship assuming that they wanted to integrate in the Western society. Instead, they refused that and are now acting as a fifth column.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:50

By your analogy with the cartoonist, they're just expressing freedom of speech. Personally I think punishing people who transgress the boundaries is fine, as the ones above are - the death penalty - umm, that's a bit harsh, but lock up would be alright. I guess the cartoonist could also come under the category of incitement - inciting people to riot. It's probably a good analogy, though one was provocative, the other reactionary.

-------------
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:51
Originally posted by Spartakus

Those pics, do not represent the majority of muslims leaving in the West.Those in the pics should be deported back to their countries.

How do you know that they represent the majority? One doesn't need to go to the streets in order to mark a position. Moral support is enough.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:53

Originally posted by Komnenos

I agree with Mila due to the simple fact that those
pictures are not representative of the majority of Muslims. Most
Muslims in the west generally embrace it as best as they can.

No they don't. Most western people in Western countries have expressed their disgust about the tasteless and xenophobic content of the cartoons.
I havent heard that so far...

After proclaiming of boycott many western country's published that cartoon too wich actually means they backing denmark and that cartoonist. I also havent heard any negative tone toward that cartoon or cartoonist so far in this forum too except they putting Danish flag in their sigs or showing their country as denmark.

So afterall that cartoonist did represent the west europe.

Isnt it rediculous Kommenos?

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:53

Originally posted by TeldeIndus

[

Stop acting like a fairy and vote for the far right, instead of trying to justify it like a poof

Would you please care to explain above statement, I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

I think he was suggesting that Westerners are all Rightwing and that these events give them an alibi to openly vote in those parties.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:55
Errr, no

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:58
Originally posted by DayI

After proclaiming of boycott many western country's published that cartoon too wich actually means they backing denmark and that cartoonist. I also havent heard any negative tone toward that cartoon or cartoonist so far in this forum too except they putting Danish flag in their sigs or showing their country as denmark.

And Turkey wants to join the EU...
No, it is not ridiculous. The solidarity is not about the content of the cartoons but instead for the freedom of expression.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 17:59

Afterall what will the excuse may be of an insult in AE against the laws of AE since "they" are alll so pro freedom of express supporters? INsult, disrespect becomes to belong into the branch of freedom of express, eh? Big probs for ae then...

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 18:02
Originally posted by Voyager

And Turkey wants to join the EU...
No, it is not ridiculous. The solidarity is not about the content of the cartoons but instead for the freedom of expression.
Look i believe in freedom of express but it must have a limit, showing otherones Prophet as a terrorist is insulting and insulting shouldnt, doesnt, belong into the branch of FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION, got it?

I dont give a f**k about entration of Turkey to eu...

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı

Posted By: sdavidr
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 18:09

How many fatwas have been issued against Bin Laden? Only one ( from Spain) and has received a lot of critiques of muslim people. So, we have to think muslim people supports Bin Laden for that reason ?

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 18:14

You quite frankly haven't still understood what the core of the issue for the Western society is. I have watched and listened to endless TV and radio programs over the last few days, and not one commentator that has spoken, has said the he/she agreed with the content of the cartoons, on the contrary they all found it abominable in various degrees.
What they however said, was that they defend the right of a private media publications to print such cartoons.
It's a wide known concept in the West, and its called "freedom of Speech". We in the West fought hard for it, and are not willing to give it up again.
I love the Middle Ages too, but I wouldn't want to live in them.
That's why some members in AE show their sympathies with the Danes, as the Danish people have become victims of an irrational, violent hate campaign that have been orchestrated by Islamic fundamentalists.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 18:14

How should i back, sympathyze that motherf**ker if his gang did blow some buildings, people up in Turkey?

I heard many Muslims go on streets and blaimed bin laden, but here i speak of only here i havent saw any mod or a member who's find those cartoons disrespectfull or insulting otherones religion. Instead of that they backed denmark with setting their flags on their sigs and profiles and claimed they defend "expression of freedom"...

So:

Afterall what will be the excuse of an insult in AE against the laws of AE "freedom of express" since "they" are alll so pro freedom of express supporters? INsult, disrespect becomes to belong into the branch of freedom of express, eh? Big probs for ae then...

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 18:26

What they however said, was that they defend the right of a private media publications to print such cartoons.
It's a wide known concept in the West, and its called "freedom of Speech". We in the West fought hard for it, and are not willing to give it up again. .
My question is, does disrespecting, insulting someothers religion belong into that freedom of speech/express thing?

I love the Middle Ages too, but I wouldn't want to live in them..
 Great  

That's why some members in AE show their sympathies with the Danes, as the Danish people have become victims of an irrational, violent hate campaign that have been orchestrated by Islamic fundamentalists.
Ok then put one of those cartoon's in youre sig/avatar and see what happens in here, you do believe in freedom in express dont you?

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 18:28

Voyaer has a point, how do I know this isnt the opinion of all Muslims"? That statement is repeated over and over again as if to brainwash us.

No I really dont believe it represents all Muslims overall, but I wonder what faction of Muslims it represents in Europe. Supposedly protests have average common people, if the average Muslim in Europe is capable of making such signs Id be worried.

The bottom line is that they have the right to say these tings and show such signs . Of course, the opinion of westerners is swayed by these actions and frankly, it doesnt make Islam look good. I dont believe I should have to say to my self "well they dont represent all Muslims" when I see Thedor van Gogh shot in the Netherlands, or I see signs that say "The real holocaust is coming" . I think it is up to the Muslim community to set a good example, its not my job to remember that not all of them are like that.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 18:38

I heard many Muslims go on streets and blaimed bin laden, but here i speak of only here i havent saw any mod or a member who's find those cartoons disrespectfull or insulting otherones religion. Instead of that they backed denmark with setting their flags on their sigs and profiles and claimed they defend "expression of freedom"...

Are you sure you are visiting the same forum as us? I have seen several members calling the those cartoons distasteful and unfunny (in case I haven't said it yet: they are distasteful and unfunny).

Supporting somebody's freedom of speech doesn't mean that you agree with whatever it is what that person has written/said. That's what freedom of speech is all about. You don't have to agree with the things others say or write, but they do have the right to say or write those things. Only defending the freedom of speech of people you agree with is not freedom of speech.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 18:43

Voyaer has a point, how do I know this isnt the opinion of all Muslims"? That statement is repeated over and over again as if to brainwash us.

Yuo do what you want to do, i cant decide it for you wich is good or wrong. I as a muslim find those cartoons very disrespectfull and see as an insult also think it hasnt anything todo with freedom of speech/express. (for the 4th time in this thread i guess im repeating all the same things )

No I really dont believe it represents all Muslims overall, but I wonder what faction of Muslims it represents in Europe. Supposedly protests have average common people, if the average Muslim in Europe is capable of making such signs Id be worried.
  youre not the one who's worrying about it, its very foolish and shamelfull for those country's who "let" burn Danish embassy's!!

The bottom line is that they have the right to say these tings and show such signs . Of course, the opinion of westerners is swayed by these actions and frankly, it doesnt make Islam look good. I dont believe I should have to say to my self "well they dont represent all Muslims" when I see Thedor van Gogh shot in the Netherlands, or I see signs that say "The real holocaust is coming" . I think it is up to the Muslim community to set a good example, its not my job to remember that not all of them are like that.

We have a proverb wich says "from a three you can get 1000 lucifers, but one lucifer is enough to burn that three".

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 18:51
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Supporting somebody's freedom of speech doesn't mean that you agree with whatever it is what that person has written/said. That's what freedom of speech is all about. You don't have to agree with the things others say or write, but they do have the right to say or write those things. Only defending the freedom of speech of people you agree with is not freedom of speech.
I agree with you so far but religion is a very sensitive point that may shouldnt be a stuff to make "distastfull, unfunny" cartoons about it.

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı

Posted By: strategos
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 18:54

Originally posted by Mila

Good point, sdavidr.

They are Western citizens, they should be treated as such.

They are Western citizens, they should act as such.

-------------
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 18:54

My question is, does disrespecting, insulting someothers religion belong into that freedom of speech/express thing?

In theory, yes. That doesn't mean that its right or that people agree with it. It just means that they have the freedom to say whatever they want.

Slayer is one of the most famous metal bands of all-time, and if you've never read their lyrics, heres a sample from a song called "Jesus Saves":

You go to church, you kiss the cross
     you will be saved at any cost
     you have your own reality, Christianity
     you spend your lives just kissing ass
     a trait thats grown as time has passed
     you think the world will end today
     you praise the lord, its all you say

Another, from a song called "Disciple":

Man made virus infecting the world
     Self-destruct human time bomb
     What if there is no God would you think the f***in' same
     Wasting your life in a leap of blind faith
     Wake the fu** up can't ignore what I say
     I got my own philosophy

I hate everyone equally
     You can't tear that out of me
     No segregation or separation
     Just me in my world of enemies

I never said I wanted to be God's disciple
     I'll never be the one to blindly follow
     I'll never be the one to bear the cross

Is that not insulting to Christianity and Christians? This is an American band that toured in America and throughout Europe, and were very successful in doing so. You don't see us trying to shut them up, and they insult the very fabrics of western religion. On the contrary, nearly all of their fanbase is in the west.

I'm not even mentioning American comedian George Carlin, who literally DEMONIZES Christianity, and continues to be one of the biggest and most respected comedians on this hemisphere.

He's HILARIOUS btw, and I know 2 devout Christians who also think the same.

-------------

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Artaxiad
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 19:35
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

If the west will give freedom of speech, it should give it to everyone, even to Holocaust deniers. Although the Holocaust is undeniably true, the West doesn't need to imprison the likes of Ernst Zundel, just because they don't accept some elements of the Holocaust. As I said in the other thread, even Prince Harry had to apologize for wearing the Swastika during a party... Why shouldn't the Muslims get a proper apology?

Posted By: Dawn
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 21:51
The more I read and see of this the more I lean toward the veiw expressed in the article in Time magazine http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1156609,00.html - http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1156609,00. html  

-------------

Posted By: flyingzone
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 22:29

Great article, Dawn. Would like to quote a few paragraphs from it:

'The Muslim world needs to do something to appease the West. Since Ayatullah Khomeini declared a death sentence against Salman Rushdie for how he depicted Muhammad in his book The Satanic Verses, Islamic radicals have been essentially threatening the free discussion of their religion and politics in the West. Rushdie escaped with his life. But Pim Fortuyn, a Dutch politician who stood up against Muslim immigrant hostility to equality for women and gays, was murdered on the street. Theo van Gogh, a Dutch filmmaker who offended strict Muslims, was killed thereafter. Several other Dutch politicians who have dared to criticize the intolerance of many Muslims live with police protection.'

This is a point that I have made several times on different threads. I haven't gotten any feedback from any of the Muslim forumers here ono that.

'Muslim leaders say the cartoons are not just offensive. They're blasphemy--the mother of all offenses. That's because Islam forbids any visual depiction of the Prophet, even benign ones. Should non-Muslims respect this taboo? I see no reason why. You can respect a religion without honoring its taboos. I eat pork, and I'm not an anti-Semite. As a Catholic, I don't expect atheists to genuflect before an altar. If violating a taboo is necessary to illustrate a political point, then the call is an easy one. Freedom means learning to deal with being offended.'

'Blasphemy, after all, is commonplace in the West. In America, Christians have become accustomed to artists' offending their religious symbols. They can protest, and cut off public funding--but the right of the individual to say or depict offensive messages or symbols is not really in dispute. Blasphemy, moreover, is common in the Muslim world, and sanctioned by Arab governments. The Arab media run cartoons depicting Jews and the symbols of the Jewish faith with imagery indistinguishable from that used in the Third Reich. But I have yet to see Jews or Israelis threaten the lives of Muslims because of it.'

'And there is, of course, the other blasphemy. It occurred on Sept. 11, 2001, when fanatics murdered thousands of innocents in the name of Islam. Surely, nothing could be more blasphemous. So where were the Muslim boycotts of Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan after that horrifying event? Since 9/11 mosques have been bombed in Iraq by Islamic terrorists. Where was the rioting condemning attacks on the holiest of shrines? These double standards reveal something quite clear: this call for "sensitivity" is primarily a cover for intolerance of others and intimidation of free people.'

'Yes, there's no reason to offend people of any faith arbitrarily. We owe all faiths respect. But the Danish cartoons were not arbitrarily offensive. They were designed to reveal Islamic intolerance--and they have now done so, in abundance. The West's principles are clear enough. Tolerance? Yes. Faith? Absolutely. Freedom of speech? Nonnegotiable.'

I ended up almost citing the entire article ...

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 22:46
     Cool article. I liked this part:

The Arab media run cartoons depicting Jews and the symbols of the Jewish faith with imagery indistinguishable from that used in the Third Reich. But I have yet to see Jews or Israelis threaten the lives of Muslims because of it.

I hate to side with Israel out of all countries (), but whats right is right. One can argue this by saying "Muslims don't recognize Israel as a state and therefore can say whatever they want". Well, as non-Islamic countries, the west doesn't have to recognize or follow taboos within the frameworks of Islam (or any religion for that matter).

Should one depict Mohummed as a terrorist? I personally think that was wrong. But the reaction was worse than the initial act, especially if you consider that if there was no overreaction, NO ONE would have seen these comics besides a few Danes.

There should've been a reaction to the comics. What is happening now is an OVERreaction.

-------------

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:13

do they really embrace western beliefs?

Originally posted by Heraclius

I believe if you live in a country you must adapt to its culture and way of life

Right I have to ask. What the hell are western beliefs anyway?
Name me any western belief that has existed for 100 years?

Originally posted by flyingzone

'The Muslim world needs to do something to appease the West. Since Ayatullah Khomeini declared a death sentence against Salman Rushdie for how he depicted Muhammad in his book The Satanic Verses, Islamic radicals have been essentially threatening the free discussion of their religion and politics in the West. Rushdie escaped with his life. But Pim Fortuyn, a Dutch politician who stood up against Muslim immigrant hostility to equality for women and gays, was murdered on the street. Theo van Gogh, a Dutch filmmaker who offended strict Muslims, was killed thereafter. Several other Dutch politicians who have dared to criticize the intolerance of many Muslims live with police protection.'

This is a point that I have made several times on different threads. I haven't gotten any feedback from any of the Muslim forumers here ono that.

Pim Fortuyn never heard of. van Gogh, good shot. Salman Rushdie, better be prepare for one too.

Now on muslim intolerance. Muslims in the west have made huge accomodations from what they are used to and expect, muslims in the west tolerate all the western behavior. But every person has there limit.

You can respect a religion without honoring its taboos. I eat pork, and I'm not an anti-Semite. As a Catholic, I don't expect atheists to genuflect before an altar.

Just a slight difference. You're not trying to force us to eat pork. You can do what you like in private where it is only you who are affected, but don't attack us. That cartoon was an attack upon Islam and muslims everywhere.

The Arab media run cartoons depicting Jews and the symbols of the Jewish faith with imagery indistinguishable from that used in the Third Reich. But I have yet to see Jews or Israelis threaten the lives of Muslims because of it.'

Apparently the author has never watched a holliwood film, nor seen what the Israelis do in the Philistine.

So where were the Muslim boycotts of Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan after that horrifying event?

hello? We attacked Afghanistan and the Saudis are hunting down the terrorists.

They were designed to reveal Islamic intolerance--and they have now done so, in abundance

They were designed to start a war thats what.

There should've been a reaction to the comics. What is happening now is an OVERreaction.

There is an over reaction because the europeans are fueling the fire by refusing to comdemn the cartoons

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:20
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

There is an over reaction because the europeans are fueling the fire by refusing to comdemn the cartoons

Didn't they fire the guy who re-ran the comic? And didn't the Danes apologize for "realizing that many Muslims were offended"? I don't see people burning anything other than Danish flags, and calling for boycotts of Danish goods.

-------------

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Genghis
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:22

The Europeans were not the first to use violence in this affair to express themselves.  You can't have freedom of speech with the fear that if you really offend someone they'll kill you.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Posted By: flyingzone
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:24

Pim Fortuyn never heard of. van Gogh, good shot. Salman Rushdie, better be prepare for one too.

What you said just speaks for itself loud and clear. No discussion is needed with someone who condones murder just because another person speaks up against his religion.

Is this what Islam teaches you? Very scary ...

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:26

Didn't they fire the guy who re-ran the comic? And didn't the Danes apologize for "realizing that many Muslims were offended"? I don't see people burning anything other than Danish flags, and calling for boycotts of Danish goods.

Saying, "we apologise for offending muslim people but we defend the right for someone to print it again" is not condemning the cartoon.
Firing the guy who re-ran the cartoon is a much better response but as far as I know that has only happened in one French Newspaper.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:28

What you said just speaks for itself loud and clear. No discussion is needed with someone who condones murder just because another person speaks up against his religion.

Is this what Islam teaches you? Very scary ...

No Islam doesn't teach that at all. Thats all testosterone, and a reaction in the face of provecation

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:31
Originally posted by Genghis

The Europeans were not the first to use violence in this affair to express themselves.  You can't have freedom of speech with the fear that if you really offend someone they'll kill you.

People are resorting to violence because they believe that there is no other way for their opinions to be heard. The European Justice system appears not to be providing any method for people to fight against offensive behavior peacefully.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:33

People are resorting to violence because they believe that there is no other way for their opinions to be heard. The European Justice system appears not to be providing any method for people to fight against offensive behavior peacefully.

That's ridiculous, the Syrians, Saudis, Iranians, and Libyans have pulled their ambassadors, there was a boycott, and demonstrations.  The message was being sent loud and clear before fires were started.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:38

That's ridiculous, the Syrians, Saudis, Iranians, and Libyans have pulled their ambassadors, there was a boycott, and demonstrations.  The message was being sent loud and clear before fires were started.

Ok, I didn't think of that.
People are resorting to voilence because they are stupid and feel they have no power, even if they are wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:42
I don't think they're stupid, I'd be mad too if I were a moslem, they're just getting carried away and not realizing that the Europeans routinely allow offensive stuff like this to be published.  I think most of this comes from the fact that the Europeans don't appreciate how close the Moslems hold the image of Mohammed to their hearts and the Moslems don't appreciate how close the Europeans hold the inviolability of freedom of speech to their hearts.  As a neutral observer, I think a lot of this is just because European and Islamic culture are on two entirely different wavelengths.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Posted By: Dawn
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:43

I think a lot of this is just because European and Islamic culture are on two entirely different wavelengths.

Now that is a statement full of truth

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:45

I don't think they're stupid, I'd be mad too if I were a moslem, they're just getting carried away and not realizing that the Europeans routinely allow offensive stuff like this to be published.  I think most of this comes from the fact that the Europeans don't appreciate how close the Moslems hold the image of Mohammed to their hearts and the Moslems don't appreciate how close the Europeans hold the inviolability of freedom of speech to their hearts.  As a neutral observer, I think a lot of this is just because European and Islamic culture are on two entirely different wavelengths.

And that I think probably sums up the entire issue.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 23:57

Now on muslim intolerance. Muslims in the west have made huge accomodations from what they are used to and expect, muslims in the west tolerate all the western behavior. But every person has there limit.

Well, if you as a guest cant tolerate the people already living there, then get the hell out.
Why am I as a westerner supposed to accept that if a man from Pakistan rapes a 16 year old girl for dressing as a slut its his culture and what they do in Pakistan? Well you know what? f*** Pakistan (I dont mean that to the whole country. I know they actually execute rapists), I dont care what they do there. This is the west, it falls in YOU to assimilate. If you dont want to then get the hell out.
Am I as a westerner supposed to cover up our billboards that shows women with out veils and dressed in a bikini? DO I have to stop eating pork in a restaurant because Muslims dont eat pork? Tell me, what do I have to do to accommodate Muslims?
If I immigrate to Saudi Arabia, and Im offended that my wife must wear a veil should I make her wear one? What if I say no I wont listen because Im offended? Well the Saudis would be pissed off because it insults their culture and they as the inhabitants of that land have every right to make my wife wear one (though my western belief says otherwise but thats a talk for another time).

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 00:12

Well, if you as a guest cant tolerate the people already living there, then get the hell out.
Why am I as a westerner supposed to accept that if a man from Pakistan rapes a 16 year old girl for dressing as a slut its his culture and what they do in Pakistan? Well you know what? f*** Pakistan (I dont mean that to the whole country. I know they actually execute rapists), I dont care what they do there. This is the west, it falls in YOU to assimilate. If you dont want to then get the hell out.
Am I as a westerner supposed to cover up our billboards that shows women with out veils and dressed in a bikini? DO I have to stop eating pork in a restaurant because Muslims dont eat pork? Tell me, what do I have to do to accommodate Muslims?
If I immigrate to Saudi Arabia, and Im offended that my wife must wear a veil should I make her wear one? What if I say no I wont listen because Im offended? Well the Saudis would be pissed off because it insults their culture and they as the inhabitants of that land have every right to make my wife wear one (though my western belief says otherwise but thats a talk for another time).

Are you agreeing with me? I said all these things western muslims agree with western whatevers about. Muslims aren't drawing offence at any of that.
Muslims who are intolerant do draw offense at that. 99% of Muslims who are tolerant don't. But that 99% will get offended about the cartoon.

-------------

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 02:09

No. The judicial system allows for freedom of speech. And it's very insultng that you pretend us to change the laws just to fit with your violent demands.

After all, Islam may forbid Muslims to draw Mohammed... but it can't forbid non-Muslims anything. Doing otherwise would be religious fascism.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 02:16

Are you agreeing with me? I said all these things western muslims agree with western whatevers about. Muslims aren't drawing offence at any of that.
Muslims who are intolerant do draw offense at that. 99% of Muslims who are tolerant don't. But that 99% will get offended about the cartoon.

Look: if you deal with westerners, you must leabve your religious material at home: this is a laicist society. You are netiltled to the private right to practice your religion but you can't impose your religious beliefs (such as not caricaturing Mohammed) to the rest of the World! You have to put up with that or chose another place to live in, find another partner to make bussiness with, read only the arabic papers and Internet sites, etc.

You can make yourself a bubble if you wish... but you can't ask us to put up with your caprices.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: malizai_
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 02:24

I strongly resent the comments on those placards, but am not alarmed since they do not by far represent the body of muslims in britian. since the faces of the ring leaders are obvious to the news junkies in britian. The people doing the shouting may be of low IQ but the organisers certainly are not and appearences can be deceptive.

They are well organised and their message in all its coarse bruteness and vulgarity has a very subtle message. It is a well constructed message that is political and not from religious perspective. If you look beyond the placards what they are awaiting is the opportunity to shout hypocricy, and denounce the west's claim to freedom of speech. Since they are obviously practicing it and they have taken the initiative by challenging the govt to arrest them. So to say why were you so keen to define the boundaries on freedom of speech now.

To use the old english idiomatic proverb: You cant have your cake and eat it too. i.e something has to give.

Posted By: Serge L
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 04:23
Originally posted by Dawn

I think a lot of this is just because European and Islamic culture are on two entirely different wavelengths.

Now that is a statement full of truth

Problem is, this world is becoming smaller and smaller. I guess we need to elaborate some way to pacifically coexist, and find a way to solve conflicts of values and rights

Posted By: sedamoun
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 04:58

Originally posted by Maju

After all, Islam may forbid Muslims to draw Mohammed... but it can't forbid non-Muslims anything. Doing otherwise would be religious fascism.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, but does that give non muslims the right to make fun of a religion ? I think the answer is yes, but it is morally wrong and a sign of non respect.

Religions are too sensitive, people believe in this stuff too much. It is in fact, as Karl Marx said it, opium for the people.

Cheers. 

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 05:17
Originally posted by sedamoun

I agree, but does that give non muslims the right to make fun of a religion? I think the answer is yes, but it is morally wrong and a sign of non respect.

It may be arguable and that's where opinions stand. One may hink that holy men are truly holy and deserve outmost respect and other, as amysself think that they were farsants who built a cult for their own megalomaniatic purposes.

As I think that the second is most likely and also that modern leaders of religions are of the same manipulative kind (at least for the most part), I think it's important to exert the right to anti-religious propaganda and that such right be protected.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 07:59

I think it's important to exert the right to anti-religious propaganda and that such right be protected.

I agree with this but there are civilzed ways to criticise religion and the bafoon way. Instead of serious arguments and ideas, they went with the idiotic way which resulting in provocating instead of criticising.

These pictures were printed in Sept-Oct of 2005, reprinting them now in early 2006 is just to sell more paper and gaining in publicity - the Benetton way: "every publicity is good publicity". I am sure they did not expect these consequences.

Cheers.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 08:36
What consequences?

I just don't think that this is bad: in fact it's good because I think there's an excess of tolerance for extremist religous attitudes and this may cut short that badly pondered tendency.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:06
[QUOTE=Loknar]

I must say, I am absolutely stunned. I thought, what was a protest, has now degraded into pure hate. In any protest, or boycott, this is unacceptable. Yes they have the freedom to say people who insult Islam should be beheaded.

[QUOTE]

Most Muslims in Europe left their countries looking for work, often as cheep labor force. Hence, we find many Turks in Germany, North Africans in France and Spain, Moroccans in Belgium/Nethetlands, Pakistanis in England...

There is often a historical "bond" between the muslims that emigrated and their host countries: Colonialism. North Africans who were under French and in Spanish domination often found jobs in these countries (especially France) after WWII as workforce was needed to rebuild Europe. The second french wage occured during the 70's and the wonderfull economic growth known as the "30 Glorieuses".

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well, this is interesting. When you start to believe that "All X are like that" that is the begining of GENERALIZATION, which leads to racism. All muslims are not all like "that", all jews are not ultra orthodox colonialists, all americans are not to blame for what the GVT's international blunders, all americans are not all imperialist p*gs... and so on. Generalization is wrong and it is the "easy" way to spread wrong ideas to people.

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You have to take into consideration the education level of some people. Many muslims that came to Europe were not scholars, they were often poor people from the country side with mentalities close to the middle ages. Many (the majority maybe) brought these beliefs with them and eventhough their children went to western schools, the parents often transmit their "tradional" values at home. This is not a bad thing, but the children have to reflect [THEMSELFS] on what aspects to keep from their traditions and which are not compatible with the west.

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Can't speak about muslims in the USA. I don't really know anything about them (except the Nation of Islam sect).

[QUOTE]

How many muslism do you actually know ?

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:08

What consequences?

Danish people being kicked out from Muslim countries, their embassies being burned to the ground, their products boycotted... Those consequences.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:25

This above whas taken in Turkey in a protest against those cartoon publisher country's, on the pankart it stood "Jezus christ ashamed of you"

Second pic is a one from beirout (lebannon) this imam try's to calm down protesting people.

But those pictures you cant see in western newspapers well the ones who's full of hatred. 

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:26

There is often a historical "bond" between the muslims that emigrated and their host countries: Colonialism.

That is  true, except Turks. Infact germans is most popular nation in Turkey.

Most probably that past  also play some role.

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 09:59
Originally posted by Mortaza

There is often a historical "bond" between the muslims that emigrated and their host countries: Colonialism.

Not necessarily: we have many Moroccans and, well, you can say that Spain had some part in colonialism in Morocco... but we also have many Algerians, Senegalese, Angolans, Guineans, Indians, Chinese, etc.

And Spain has never had posessions in those countries (at least since Portugal became independent).

Look at Denmark: I think it ahd some posession sin Ghana at some time but never a single base in Muslim areas...

France and England are major colonial powers and they do attract people from the regions they once dominated. The same can surely be said about Portugal... but the rest of Europe? Nah!

It's just that they come for the illusion of jobs that don't even exist.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 10:11

Originally posted by Mortaza

Not necessarily: we have many Moroccans and, well, you can say that Spain had some part in colonialism in Morocco... but we also have many Algerians, Senegalese, Angolans, Guineans, Indians, Chinese, etc.

And Spain has never had posessions in those countries (at least since Portugal became independent).

Look at Denmark: I think it ahd some posession sin Ghana at some time but never a single base in Muslim areas...

France and England are major colonial powers and they do attract people from the regions they once dominated. The same can surely be said about Portugal... but the rest of Europe? Nah!

It's just that they come for the illusion of jobs that don't even exist.

Maju, you're incredible, why are you always trying to interfere with what's obvious.

I wrote "there is OFTEN..." not always.

By the way, you forgot about the Netherlands and the immigrant whose origins are from Surinam and Indonesia in your examples of "correct" examples.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/NetherlandsEmpire.png">

Gotta get back to work.

Cheers.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 15:15
As there are numerous threads open on the same issue, I will close this one.
Please continue the discussion in the remaining open thread!
Any new threads will be closed.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com