1}Indus Valley Civilization

2}Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

My favourite singer.

3}Karachi  Halwa

4}Guns on Rent

Shoot and return.

5}Shared interest for field hockey and cricket

And one Pakistani trait that makes me laugh:

The passion & zeal with which Pakistani's try to prove that they are not Indians.While I was in Univ. in S Korea,about half a dozen Pakistani students were head over heels trying to enamour 3 Bulgarian beauties.

They even brought a projector from their computer lab to the dorm.Guess what they treated the beautiful girls to ...........'INDIAN MOVIES'.

C'mon my Pakistani brothers n sisters.Your nation has more than 8 times the land area of S.Korea & 3 times the human resources.If S Korea can become a Newly Industrialized Country within a generation I'm sure you can do better.

Afterall it was a Pakistani who drafted the economic plan for S.Korea not so long ago.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Replies:
Posted By: OSMANLI
Date Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 13:25

Jhangora, i admire the fact that you have shown enough respect to show your admiration for a traditional enemy. In responce to Teleindus's thread on his admiration of India.

However will all due respect, did you have to add the following comment:

And one Pakistani trait that makes me laugh:

The passion & zeal with which Pakistani's try to prove that they are not Indians.

This has been in a previous arguament in which has clearly shown how many members feel about this topic, whilst showing evidence to back their belief.

By adding this comment i feel that you have lowered the worth of this topic. I would much appreciate it if you were to delete that comment.

Regards,

OSMANLI

-------------

Posted By: TeldeIndus
Date Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 16:24

1) Rich history

TAKHT-I-BAHI - Buddhist past

Hadda, Gandhara - Hellenistic past

Indus Valley

Derawar Fort

Khyber Pass - Gateway for all invaders

2) Natural beauty

Hunza

Terraced Fields of Hunza Valley 15 - Colour Bonanza (Autumn) at Hunza 15 - Colour Bonanza (Autumn) at Hunza Hunza View

The Gilgit Valley
Gilgit Gilgit Serena HotelGilgit Bridge

Kaghan Valley

Kaghan Valley

lake_satpara Shangrilla Resort & Hotels

All natural people, no wonder Bollywood keeps asking for more!

3) Pakistani plurality of faiths 

Faisal mosque - One of the largest in the world

Faisal mosque at night, Islamabad, Pakistan.

Holy Trinity Church (1855) - Oldest and largest church in Sindh

Holy Trinity Church - karachi

Sikh Temple - Gurdwara

IMAGE:Gurduara Sikh Temple

Gymkana Hindu Temple

Hindu Gymkhana - Karachi

4) Pakistani modernization

Downtown KArachi at Dusk

Creek City (under construction) - rendering

KPT Tower (under construction)

http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=" target=_blank onclick="return fitsInWindow();"> setImgWidth();  

5) Plurality of people

Hazara

Hunza

Sindhi

Pathan

Punjabi

Balochi

Kalasha

and many more!

-------------
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 05:06

Bazaars

Markets in which ANY thing you want they are bound to have. They often have technological goods before Europe.

Shah Faisal Masjid (Mosque)

Unique font

(an extract from 'Adam ki Paslee')

Although the Urdu language uses the Arabic script, it has not only added extra letters to be adapt to the Urdu language but also has a unique style in which it is writtain. One can clearly see that it is not Arabic by just looking at the style.

Karachi, Pakistan 

(Habib Bank, the large tower)

Karachi can be located in the Sindh province and used to be the capital of Pakistan.

Badshahi Mosque

K2

PAKiSTAN ZiNDABAD!!!

-------------

Posted By: Jhangora
Date Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 10:22

Karachi IS located in the Sindh Province OSMANLI.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 10:26

And its the financial capital  of Pakistan.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 10:33
Originally posted by TeldeIndus

1) Rich history

TAKHT-I-BAHI - Buddhist past

Hadda, Gandhara - Hellenistic past

Indus Valley

Derawar Fort

Khyber Pass - Gateway for all invaders

2) Natural beauty

Hunza

Terraced Fields of Hunza Valley 15 - Colour Bonanza (Autumn) at Hunza 15 - Colour Bonanza (Autumn) at Hunza Hunza View

The Gilgit Valley
Gilgit Gilgit Serena HotelGilgit Bridge

Kaghan Valley

Kaghan Valley

lake_satpara Shangrilla Resort & Hotels

All natural people, no wonder Bollywood keeps asking for more!

3) Pakistani plurality of faiths 

Faisal mosque - One of the largest in the world

Faisal mosque at night, Islamabad, Pakistan.

Holy Trinity Church (1855) - Oldest and largest church in Sindh

Holy Trinity Church - karachi

Sikh Temple - Gurdwara

IMAGE:Gurduara Sikh Temple

Gymkana Hindu Temple

Hindu Gymkhana - Karachi

4) Pakistani modernization

Downtown KArachi at Dusk

Creek City (under construction) - rendering

KPT Tower (under construction)

http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=" target=_blank onclick="return fitsInWindow();"> setImgWidth();  

5) Plurality of people

Hazara

Hunza

Sindhi

Pathan

Punjabi

Balochi

Kalasha

and many more!

Gandhara {Kandhar} is in modern Afghanistan....the pic u've posted for pathan is of a an Afghan woman taken by an Irani photographer working for the National Geographic right now living in France.....Why didn't u post a pic for Mohajirs......n why r all ur modern wonders under construction.......

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Posted By: Anujkhamar
Date Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 12:29
I have got to say, i like the pic of that sindhi man. Really original!

Date Posted: 21-Jan-2006 at 05:14

Jhangora i you playing some sort of a joke with me?

I said:

"Karachi can be located in the Sindh province and used to be the capital of Pakistan."

in which you reply:

I already said that, or are you simply reminding me incase i forgot?

Thank you, however i already knew that. But thanks for infoming all the member of AE as well. Be sure to let us know of any new information you find on Karachi. Shukaria

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Jan-2006 at 08:40
Originally posted by Jhangora

Gandhara {Kandhar} is in modern Afghanistan

Gandhara has nothing to do with KandAhar Afghanistan, Einstein. Gandhara is comprised of Swat, Chamla, Buner, Bajer, even part of Nuristan, and runs from the Indus Valley to the Kabul Valley. Most of Gandhara is in Pakistan, not Kandahar . The green line in the map below shows the Afghan-Pak border.

http://www.geocities.com/scn_pk/map_gandhara.jpg">

Hadda is located on the Pak-Afghan border just within Afghanistan. But Hellenistic influences in archaeological remains can be found everywhere in NW Pakistan.

Here's an Ionic column from the times of the Ionic Greeks in Taxila, NW Pakistan.

Stupas in Sirkap, Taxila show Hellenistic influences.

Many more Hellenistic influences exist in NW Pakistan - all over Pakistan in fact

http://www.silkroadfoundation.org/artl/gandhara.shtml - http://www.silkroadfoundation.org/artl/gandhara.shtml  

....the pic u've posted for pathan is of a an Afghan woman taken by an Irani photographer working for the National Geographic right now living in France.....

And?  I think everyone knows that's Shaba Gul. Her ethnic grouping is Pathan, and what I was showing were the ethnic groups of Pakistan, one of which is the Pathans. There's lots of Pathans in Pakistan that look like that, and many that do not.

Why didn't u post a pic for Mohajirs......

I didnt post a pic for many ethnic groups, as there's too many to mention. Parsees for example or Makranis. But here is a photo of a famous Mohajir (immigrant from India at the time of partition of the subcontinent). Again, your point?  

n why r all ur modern wonders under construction.......

Because Pakistan's economy has only become the second fastest growing in the world in the last couple of years, and so the funds for such projects have only recently been avaliable?  

http://www.embassyofpakistan.com/economy_second_larget_05.htm - http://www.embassyofpakistan.com/economy_second_larget_05.ht m  

-------------
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2006 at 00:14

Because Pakistan's economy has only become the second fastest growing in the world in the last couple of years, and so the funds for such projects have only recently been avaliable?  

So what were u utilizing the available funds for so far.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2006 at 05:46

-------------

Posted By: Afghanan
Date Posted: 23-Jan-2006 at 23:15

SOME CLARIFICATIONS

These people are not Pakistanis , but Afghans.

The girl on the left is a picture of an Afghan Pashtun refugee.

The picture on the right is a picture of Hazaras in Kabul.

The Hazaras of Pakistan are made of actually 2 or MORE DIFFERENT people.  The people of Hazara district are descendants of a mix Indo-European-Tibetan people related to Baltis, Pukhtuns, while others are of Mongol descent related to the Mongol Hazaras of Afghanistan.  The Mongol Hazaras of Pakistan were originally from Afghanistan but left because of persecution by Afghan Kings because of their conspiracy with the British.

Nice link about Hazara district and the people within Hazara:

http://www.khyber.org/places/2005/HazaraDistrict.shtml - http://www.khyber.org/places/2005/HazaraDistrict.shtml

--

This girl is a Pashtana / Afghan, not a Pathan, her name is Sharbat Gula.   Pathan are Indian-Punjabi raised Afghans who have lived in the subcontinent for generations.  People like Salman Khan, Shahrukh Khan, and Irfan Pathan.

http://www.paesieimmagini.it/Pakistan/Imm_Pakistan/Portatori_Balti3.jpg -  

-------------
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 02:45
Who are you Afghanan?
Pathans aren't Indian or Punjabi. There Pathans.
What do you mean there not Paki's but Afghans. There are millions of Afghans living in pakistan.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 08:19
Very interesting....should visit your country once....
Never knew Pak was a tourist destination....
and you mentioned Pak is the second fastest growing economy??...Is it true...I have not heard about that one...

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 12:16

Afghan has two meanings today:

1.  Historical/Cultural = Pakhtun/Pashtun.

2.  Modern/Contemporary = Anyone who is a citizen or national of Afghanistan after 1900 which includes Pashtuns, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Turkmens, Hazaras, Nuristanis, Baluchi, etc, within the domain of Afghanistan's current borders.

The pictures TeldeIndus showed were not Pathans, nor were they even Pakistani Pashtuns or Pakistani Hazaras, they were Afghan refugees and  Hazaras of Kabul.

Pathans, as I stated before, are what Punjabis and people of the Indian subcontinent refer to Afghans/Pashtuns, and those who are descendant of them. 

It is very important to note that NO Pashtun or Afghan refers to themselves as a Pathan, nor should they be called that. 

-------------
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 16:40
Originally posted by Afghanan

Afghan has two meanings today:

1.  Historical/Cultural = Pakhtun/Pashtun.

2.  Modern/Contemporary = Anyone who is a citizen or national of Afghanistan after 1900 which includes Pashtuns, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Turkmens, Hazaras, Nuristanis, Baluchi, etc, within the domain of Afghanistan's current borders.

The pictures TeldeIndus showed were not Pathans, nor were they even Pakistani Pashtuns or Pakistani Hazaras, they were Afghan refugees and  Hazaras of Kabul.

Pathans, as I stated before, are what Punjabis and people of the Indian subcontinent refer to Afghans/Pashtuns, and those who are descendant of them. 

It is very important to note that NO Pashtun or Afghan refers to themselves as a Pathan, nor should they be called that. 

This is all nonsense. Pathans live in the province called NWFP in Western Pakistan. Punjabis call us Pashtun, Afghan, Pathan. I'm Pashtun/Pathan or whatever, I simply am not a fastidious person and I call myself Pathan sometimes.

The picture was of a Hazara refugee girl from Afghanistan in Pakistan. But there's a lot of Hazaras living in Quetta, and like I said to Jhangora, the picture of Shabat Gul was just a picture of a Pathan/Pashtun etc. There's plenty of people of that appearance in NWFP.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 17:25

The picture of the "hazara refugee girl" is not a Hazara.  You can tell by the way she looks. 

These are pictures of Pakistani Hazaras:

Here is an Hazara Refugee Girl:

The pictures they displayed in this website is not accurate:

http://www.gbgm-umc.org/honduras/photos/Afghan%20Refugees/ - http://www.gbgm-umc.org/honduras/photos/Afghan%20Refugees/

They posted this picture which they claimed is Hazara girl:

This girl in fact is not Hazara but from the looks of her collar and dress she is most likely a Pashtun.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 18:33

Alright. All I can find is this, and I'm pretty sure he's Pakistani Hazara.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 03:13

Afghanan, please brother do you have any thing against Pakistan. You have (and this is not the first occation) found faults with Pakistan. This is topic your 5 fave things about Pakistan (not spot the Pashtun/Pathan). You have made your point, and a good one at that.

However i feel that out of 20 postd in this topic, only 3 have addressed the aim of the topic. Thus 3 posts depicting 5 fave things on Pakistan. The vast majorty has been in people on the offensive and defensive. With the exception of Hexed

Please, i would love to hear your contrbution, remember you may not like the Pakistani government but neither do a lot of Pakistani's.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 07:37
Originally posted by OSMANLI

Jhangora i you playing some sort of a joke with me?

I said:

"Karachi can be located in the Sindh province and used to be the capital of Pakistan."

in which you reply:

I already said that, or are you simply reminding me incase i forgot?

Thank you, however i already knew that. But thanks for infoming all the member of AE as well. Be sure to let us know of any new information you find on Karachi. Shukaria

My dear fellow AE member OSMANLI I wasn't even trying to play a joke on you.There is a slight  difference between 'can' and 'is'.Was just trying to point that out very humbly.

And since you said we should stick to the topic.I'll present another Pakistani thing I like.

http://www.hamdard.com.pk:9090/hamdard.com.pk/afza.jsp - http://www.hamdard.com.pk:9090/hamdard.com.pk/afza.jsp

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 15:26

I think quite often we have misunderstood each other. Perhaps next time you could PM me with such lessons on grammer.

Anywho, thanks for the info on 'Rooh Afza', honestly i have never heard of it. Although judging from the website seems like a nice drink. I will be on the look out for it !!!

Kindest Regards,

OSMANLI

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 20:38

Alright. All I can find is this, and I'm pretty sure he's Pakistani Hazara.

That is correct.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 20:43

Afghanan, please brother do you have any thing against Pakistan. You have (and this is not the first occation) found faults with Pakistan. This is topic your 5 fave things about Pakistan (not spot the Pashtun/Pathan). You have made your point, and a good one at that.

However i feel that out of 20 postd in this topic, only 3 have addressed the aim of the topic. Thus 3 posts depicting 5 fave things on Pakistan. The vast majorty has been in people on the offensive and defensive. With the exception of Hexed

Please, i would love to hear your contrbution, remember you may not like the Pakistani government but neither do a lot of Pakistani's.

Well my reply to this topic was not Anti-Pakistan, it was to clarify the people and pictures he mentioned as being Pakistani.  I say if you are going to show 5 things you like about Pakistan, at least show people that are actually Pakistanis.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 05:49

I think quite often we have misunderstood each other. Perhaps next time you could PM me with such lessons on grammer.

Anywho, thanks for the info on 'Rooh Afza', honestly i have never heard of it. Although judging from the website seems like a nice drink. I will be on the look out for it !!!

Kindest Regards,

OSMANLI

Rooh Afza is a very good sharbat dear AE fellow member OSMANLI.If I were in India I would have gladly sent you a bottle.

This time I was making a joke at you.Rooh Afza is an Indian sharbat.

http://hm.hamdard.com:5050/rooh_afza/rooh_afza.htm - http://hm.hamdard.com:5050/rooh_afza/rooh_afza.htm

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 05:52

Well my reply to this topic was not Anti-Pakistan, it was to clarify the people and pictures he mentioned as being Pakistani.  I say if you are going to show 5 things you like about Pakistan, at least show people that are actually Pakistanis.

I agree.Don't try to portray 'Hamdard Rooh Afza' as a Pakistani product

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 06:55

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Everything on the page is Pakistani. When it comes to ethnic groupings, all the ethnic groups can be found in Pakistan. The Pathan girl before came to mind and the Hazaras were easy to find. But alright, let's be fussy shall we, I will find substitutes for Pathan and Hazara in Pakistan itself!

Pathans - In Pakistan !

Hazaras - In Pakistan !

I even managed to find some in front of a Pakistani flag to save you from looking them up!  

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 08:48
http://www.allempires.com/forum/edit_post.asp?M=Q&PID=154256&TPN=2 -  

Actually, this little guy at the front reminds me of myself when I was his age - No doubts he'll grow up to be a fine, handsome, strong young man!   

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 22:48

Very Good TeldeIndus, that is much better, EXCEPT for one picture:

These are not "Pathan" boys, these are Afghan refugees. 

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 22:58

And you know they are refugees, how may I ask, genius? The site most definitely says Pakistan. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2006 at 23:08
I know everything is Afghan to you, but I'll give you a clue in the meantime. These boys are from Swat Valley, Pakistan. Swat Valley is not known as a refugee area - It's buffeted by both Dir and Chitral. That would make it very unlikely they're refugees - besides all that one look at those jumpers, trousers and the way their clothes are all clean suggests there's no way they're refugees.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 03:57
Afghanan is actually an imigration inspector!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 03:58

Hey what are the major Industries in Pak. Is there discrimination against Sikhs and Hindus in Pak.

I have heard that Sindhis and Punjabis control most of Pal while rest of areas are impoverished...

What is the economic scenario in Pak...?

Do you have good freedom of press in Pak under Musharaff?...

These questions are not anti-pak...These are asked put of curiosity...

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 08:57
Originally posted by hexed

Hey what are the major Industries in Pak. Is there discrimination against Sikhs and Hindus in Pak.

I have heard that Sindhis and Punjabis control most of Pal while rest of areas are impoverished...

What is the economic scenario in Pak...?

Do you have good freedom of press in Pak under Musharaff?...

These questions are not anti-pak...These are asked put of curiosity...

If you want to talk more politics, this isnt the thread.

Answers to your questions. There more discrimination against Hindus in India. Sikhs the same.

Pakistan has a changing economy. IT is doubling in size every year and industrial manufacturing is growing by a a fifth every year now. I think you can read about this yourself.

Punjabis are more numerous in Pakistan but politically each province has equal political power. The government has done a good job attracting investors into the region,  all part of "trickle down".

The economic situation looks very good.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000039&refer=columnist_mukherjee&sid=aiSFuvMKI2Gw - http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000039&refer= columnist_mukherjee&sid=aiSFuvMKI2Gw  

Freedom of the press is very good in Pakistan, many of the state run agencies criticize Musharaf on a regular basis.

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/may2005-daily/04-05-2005/metro/i2.htm - http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/may2005-daily/04-05-2005/metr o/i2.htm

The fact they're able to debate whether there's freedom of press in Pakistan, shows there's actually a lot of freedom of expression in Pakistan!

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 08:58

No wonder there's border security problems..

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 23:59

And you know they are refugees, how may I ask, genius? The site most definitely says Pakistan. 

Since you like this word Genius, it might help to know that this picture has been used in MANY websites, and the first one I ever saw it on, was much older than this website you linked it to...Genius. 

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 00:01

I know everything is Afghan to you, but I'll give you a clue in the meantime. These boys are from Swat Valley, Pakistan. Swat Valley is not known as a refugee area - It's buffeted by both Dir and Chitral. That would make it very unlikely they're refugees - besides all that one look at those jumpers, trousers and the way their clothes are all clean suggests there's no way they're refugees.

Well it depends what kind of refugee.  Refugees who live in Tents are obviously not going to have access to ample amount of clean water.  But as you know there are many, most likely in the millions, who not only reside in homes throughout the NWFP, but own land and businesses. 

Genius.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 00:03

Sometimes it would be a good idea.  There are many Pakistanis who flee to Europe and elsewhere under fake or stolen Afghan refugee papers.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 00:09

all part of "trickle down".

Narasimha Rao {former Prime Minister of India who was in power when India opened up her economy in early 90's} made this term popular in India.

Trickle Down Theory-----If you feed enough oats to the horse some will pass on the way for birds.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 00:19

My dear brother in humanity OSMANLI you seem to have been offended.You didn't reply to my second post on 'Rooh Afza'.I am sorry if I hurt you.I promise to send you a bottle of 'Rooh Afza'.I would look for it in S Korea.Wish you a very happy and prosperous lunar new year.

Since this thread is about things people like about Pakistan.I would add another thing I like about Pakistan.Beautifully decorated trucks.The trucking Industry in Pakistan is dominated by the Pushtoons.In India too trucks are decorated but not to the extent they are in Pakistan.Here are some pics.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 00:38

These are 'Pathans'

Imran Khan Niazi

Irfan Pathan

'Pathan' Zamindars of India

Shahrukh Khan

Salman Khan

Feroz and Fardeen Khan

Amir Khan

Pathan really describes those Pashtuns who have lived generations outside their native Pakhtunkhwa in urban centers throughout the subcontinent.  Many of the pictures of people above are celebrities and sportsmen for Pakistan and India.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 09:03

I know everything is Afghan to you, but I'll give you a clue in the meantime. These boys are from Swat Valley, Pakistan. Swat Valley is not known as a refugee area - It's buffeted by both Dir and Chitral. That would make it very unlikely they're refugees - besides all that one look at those jumpers, trousers and the way their clothes are all clean suggests there's no way they're refugees.

Well it depends what kind of refugee. Refugees who live in Tents are obviously not going to have access to ample amount of clean water. But as you know there are many, most likely in the millions, who not only reside in homes throughout the NWFP, but own land and businesses.

..so in fact what you're saying is that their parents have most likelysettled in Pakistan and are now doing quite well for themselves. So does that not make them................Pakistani, genius?

Since you like this word Genius, it might help to know that this picture has been used in MANY websites, and the first one I ever saw it on, was much older than this website you linked it to...Genius.   

Could you link me to one website that says they're not from Swat Valley, and are from Afghanistan? 

Irfan Pathan

Interesting you should put him there. Dont know why you think he's a Pathan - There's nothing Pathan about him. Wherever he got his Pathan surname from, it wasnt from the tribals - the word doesnt exist there, just superfically in non Pashto conversations - Most Pathans can spot this a mile off, you cannot.

These are 'Pathans'

Imran Khan Niazi

Irfan Pathan

'Pathan' Zamindars of India

Shahrukh Khan

Salman Khan

Feroz and Fardeen Khan

Amir Khan

Pathan really describes those Pashtuns who have lived generations outside their native Pakhtunkhwa in urban centers throughout the subcontinent.  Many of the pictures of people above are celebrities and sportsmen for Pakistan and India.

This actually just an absolute load of mumbo-jumbo. I'll be fussy since I'm talking to you - yes, let's be fussy. The word "Pathan" comes from Hindi, but was used by the British to refer to the Pashtuns, when they were in British India. A lot of people from the subcontinent, Sindh, Punjab, India etc refer to all Pashtuns as "Pathans". Pathans, in Pashto, refer to themselves as "Pakhtuns" - their language as "Pakhto" rather than "Pashto". But this is a minor point, and most Pashtuns, when not speaking their own language call themselves any of the above names, Pathans is fine for most Pashtuns, I have no idea why he keeps on going on about it. But in no way does "Pathan" mean someone who lives outside of their native "Pukhtunkwah" - Pathans living in the NWFP refer to themselves as Pathan when speaking English.

If you like, you can read about it from the website of the NWFP itself!

"Pakhtoon designates a person who speaks Pukhtu. Pathan is a Hindi term adopted for them by the British. The racial composition of the Pukhtoons is less than clear. The tribes who dwelled in the area in the days of the Greek historians are believed to be part of the great Aryan horde which had moved down from Central Asia a millennium earlier. Over the course of centuries, the Greek, Persian, Turk, and Mongol invaders who passed through the Frontier have added their blood."

http://www.nwfp.gov.pk/AIS-page.php?pageName=People+of+NWFP&DistId=1&DeptId=1&LangId=1 - http://www.nwfp.gov.pk/AIS-page.php?pageName=People+of+NWFP& amp; amp; amp; amp; amp;DistId=1&DeptId=1&LangId=1  

Ohhh, just ignore that picture on the right, since it must be a mistake as Einstein has said they're actually Afghan refugees  

-------------

Posted By: AlokaParyetra
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 10:22

Ok, this whole pathan debate seems kinda pointless. Does it matter what kind of pathan they are? The point that was made is that Pakistan is a diverse nation. Regardless of where they are from, the pathans make Pakistan diverse.

It's like this. I'm Indian, but have lived in the United States just about all my life. Sure, my genetics will indicate i am Indian, but that's not the point. The point is that the United States is a diverse nation.

Same thing here. Let's say that they are Afgan Pathans and not Pakistani Pathans. As long as they live in Pakistan, does it matter? The point is that Pakistan is diverse, not that Pathans are Pakistani. Atleast, that's how i see it.

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 10:32
I totally agree. I have no idea why they're going on about it. My point was that Pakistan is an ethnically diverse nation, that was it. I just showed some of the ethnicities in there. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 15:06

Raising and lowering of National flags at Wagah.I guess this could have been posted in the 'Things I like about India' thread too.

A visit to Lahore would not be complete without a stopover at the Wagah border crossing with India. The changing of the guards and the flag lowering ceremony on either side of the border have become a tourist attraction as both countries try to outdo each other in the precision of their troops' drill. It's real entertainment repeated daily accompanied by the necessary chanting on either side an vocal support from the spectators, a bit like in a European soccer game.

http://www.hansdewaele.com/web/newlocation/locationnow.html - http://www.hansdewaele.com/web/newlocation/locationnow.html

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 23:35
I love the trucks and the lowering of the flags.

I particularly like the way the busses play music on their multiple horns. Unfortunately I can't do a sound clip.

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 00:13

so in fact what you're saying is that their parents have most likelysettled in Pakistan and are now doing quite well for themselves. So does that not make them................Pakistani, genius?

Lets get a few things straight.   Refugees live in Pakistan and working in Pakistan, will always be Afghan, no matter how many Passports they have.  They have strengthened the bond between Afghans on both sides of the border.  From Pashtuns living in Pakistan, I have heard they not only run the bus transport businesses, but are ruling in the carpeting business, and have many shops and businesses in Karachi, Quetta, and Peshawar (where many officials have Afghan relatives across the border).   If they want to be Pakistani citizens thats fine with me, and if you want to fantasize about this all day, be my guest, it does not make a difference to me.

Could you link me to one website that says they're not from Swat Valley, and are from Afghanistan? 

No, find it yourself.   There are a few websites you can start your search, primarily Afghanistan websites.  I have found MANY Pakistani websites using pictures of Afghan refugees or even Afghans as being Pakistanis and 'Pathans."

ALSO,  I did look at the link your picture came from, it originated from an "angelfire" free website with pictures of other people marked wrong.   On one picture it showed a picture of students from supposedly "Northern" Pakistan.  In actuality, its a recent picture taken from an Afghan school in Northern Afghanistan, and they are in fact, Tajik children who are lining up to go to their first day of a newly reconstructed school.

Interesting you should put him there. Dont know why you think he's a Pathan - There's nothing Pathan about him. Wherever he got his Pathan surname from, it wasnt from the tribals - the word doesnt exist there, just superfically in non Pashto conversations 

Pathans can spot a Pathan?   No kidding?     Ofcourse Pathan does not exist in real Pashtun tribal charters, neither does all the Pakistanis claiming to be "Khans."  But the fact remains, he is a Pathan because 1 - He has intermixed and become Indian and 2,  can not speak the language of his ancestors.  I have even met Sikhs and Hindus who claim to have Afghan heritage.

--

This actually just an absolute load of mumbo-jumbo. I'll be fussy since I'm talking to you - yes, let's be fussy. The word "Pathan" comes from Hindi, but was used by the British to refer to the Pashtuns, when they were in British India. A lot of people from the subcontinent, Sindh, Punjab, India etc refer to all Pashtuns as "Pathans". Pathans, in Pashto, refer to themselves as "Pakhtuns" - their language as "Pakhto" rather than "Pashto".

Actually they do not.  In Afghanistan, they called them "Afghans" and in the areas they occupied, they called them "Pathans."  This was a British tactic to keep them divided politically from each other.  The most notorious was Sir Olaf Caroe, who wrote a history book called "The Pathans."  This is considered a respectable work of scholarship on the history of Afghans.  In actuality, the first few chapters contain very good information, but when the history spreads to the Afghan-British wars, he leaves the entire history of the wars blank, and instead talks about how the "Pathans" are friends to the British and should accept Pakistan.  This ofcourse is the same time during the Waziristan revolt, and again he mentions nothing about the British bombing of Waziristan. 

He further tries to divide them AGAIN in 2 categories - Western Afghans and Eastern Afghans. But when the history stretches across his Durand Line, he refers to them as Pathans, and even claims that they should not be called Afghans!  Pathan is an inherited word from post-British era that Pakistan intentionally uses to keep Afghans/Pakhtuns divided.  The most blatant way they do this is by denying them the right to call their land Pukhtunkhwa, and instead call it by the British name, Northwest Frontier Province (NWFP).

But this is a minor point, and most Pashtuns, when not speaking their own language call themselves any of the above names, Pathans is fine for most Pashtuns, I have no idea why he keeps on going on about it. But in no way does "Pathan" mean someone who lives outside of their native "Pukhtunkwah" - Pathans living in the NWFP refer to themselves as Pathan when speaking English.

English is not the first language of Pakhtuns TeldeIndus, you'll need to come up with something better excuse than that. 

If you like, you can read about it from the website of the NWFP itself!

"Pakhtoon designates a person who speaks Pukhtu. Pathan is a Hindi term adopted for them by the British.

Who the heck gave them RIGHT to ADOPT this term FOR them?  They have no right to adopt anything for Pukhtuns. 

The racial composition of the Pukhtoons is less than clear. The tribes who dwelled in the area in the days of the Greek historians are believed to be part of the great Aryan horde which had moved down from Central Asia a millennium earlier. Over the course of centuries, the Greek, Persian, Turk, and Mongol invaders who passed through the Frontier have added their blood."

http://www.nwfp.gov.pk/AIS-page.php?pageName=People+of+NWFP&DistId=1&DeptId=1&LangId=1 - http://www.nwfp.gov.pk/AIS-page.php?pageName=People+of+NWFP& amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp;DistId=1&DeptId=1&LangId=1  

Ohhh, just ignore that picture on the right, since it must be a mistake as Einstein has said they're actually Afghan refugees  

It is unfortunate you refer to your Pakistani Government propaganda circles for information, even a teenager could not make such a naive mistake.  Nothing in that paragraph is supporting anything you say.  I have told you that it is a term the British used and YOU have inherited the British design of calling them Pathans.  I will say again, no Pakhtun will ever refer to him or herself as a Pathan.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 00:38
Originally posted by AlokaParyetra

Ok, this whole pathan debate seems kinda pointless. Does it matter what kind of pathan they are?

It has nothing to do with what kind of Pathan they are.  Pathan is a Pathan, and it is not a correct term when referring to Afghan refugees.  There are political motivations behind this word.

It's like this. I'm Indian, but have lived in the United States just about all my life. Sure, my genetics will indicate i am Indian, but that's not the point. The point is that the United States is a diverse nation.

Lets say you are a Pakistani refugee fleeing war and living in a temporary refugee camp in India and now someone claims that you are now a full-blooded ethnic Indian.  Would you agree?

The point is that Pakistan is diverse,

Pakistan is very diverse and it doesnt make sense as to why show pictures of Afghan refugees and claim they are Pakistanis and Pathans,  when you can easily find pictures of Pakistani Pathans over the internet and call them by their correct name.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 00:44
Afghanan, what is your expert opinion based upon? Why should we take the word of someone who clearly knows nothing about the region?

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 00:59

It is better we continue this conversation between ourselves.  You make claims that I know nothing about the region,  but you name yourself with an Arabic name and tell me that there is no different between Qaaf and Kaaf, and that Nek Muhammad and Abdullah Mehsud do not exist.   Please Omar al Hashim, you do not seem to have a firm grasp of somethings yourself.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 01:02

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Afghanan, what is your expert opinion based upon? Why should we take the word of someone who clearly knows nothing about the region?

And he still cant give me a link saying those kids are Afghan refugees  

I have told you that it is a term the British used and YOU have inherited the British design of calling them Pathans.  I will say again, no Pakhtun will ever refer to him or herself as a Pathan.

I dont know whether to laugh or cry , many people living in the NWFP refer to themselves as Pathan when speaking English or Urdu!

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 01:04

That is fine if they speak English or Urdu, but then you will need to put THEIR pictures up  on '5 things i like about pakistan.'  Not the picture of Afghan refugees and call them Pakistanis.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 01:19
Lets move this to the other thread now and keep this one about what we like.

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 02:44

Ya Afghanan you've made your point.Ok my Pushtoon brother living in USA.Are you a Pathan.No please don't reply.Make atleast one post about something you like about Pakistan n take the Pushtoon/Pathan debate to another thread.Please.

No offense intended.I don't like Pakistani dramas.Too loud fo my liking.

And a humble request.Please stop pirating our movies.Couldn't find pic of a pirated CD.So i'll post pic of an original CD.Has any of the Pakistani members seen this movie?

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 03:04
No, I haven't seen it. Pakistani dramas are terrible, and our sci-fi's are just funny.

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 03:20

Javed Miandad.....

Don't like him too.Bcoz of the last ball six he hit off Chetan Sharma in Sharjah.Memory of that one shot still makes my heart ache.

Heard recently his son got married to Dawood Ibrahim's daughter in Middle East.

He was a gutsy player though.Couldn't succeed as a coach bcoz of the inter-camp rivalry that has been a part of Pakistani cricket.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 05:06
I swear Mission Kashmir was an Indian film.......

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 11:40

Ya Afghanan you've made your point.Ok my Pushtoon brother living in USA.Are you a Pathan.No please don't reply.Make atleast one post about something you like about Pakistan n take the Pushtoon/Pathan debate to another thread.Please.

There is no debate about what I believe.  But yes I think I have made my point about this.  The only thing i really like about Pakistan is....well, I'll get back to you on that one. 

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 10:53

Basant Celebrations......

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 13:18

Nice post Jhangora,

ive heard that kites are a massive hit in Pakistan and i belive also in India. Would you know as to why?

-------------

Posted By: amir khan
Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 13:36

Nice post Jhangora,

ive heard that kites are a massive hit in Pakistan and i belive also in India. Would you know as to why?

Yeah, I find this interesting too.

I have heard there's a massive Kite festival  held from the Lahore rooftops.

Everyone tries to outplay each other, with some lacing their kite strings with a glass cutting agent to cut others kite strings! Sounds fascinating.

Any info. from those who know?

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 22:10

Nice post Jhangora,

Yes OSMANLI kites are popular in India too.All over India {as far as I know} people fly kites on Rakshabandhan day {if you wish I'll let you know about Rakshabandhan  too....in another thread}.In Delhi people fly kites on National festivals like Independence day too {though not in my hometown---maybe some do}.

A few reasons come to my mind regarding popularity of kites.

1}The human desire to fly like a bird,be free,independent.

2}The fun and adrenaline rush you get when you cut someone else's string in the sky and bring his kite down to the ground.

3}Colours.Kites are an outlet for artistic talents.They have beautiful patterns,pictures of currently popular stars,etc.

I don't know how to fly a kite {the take off part is the most difficult and boring}.My friends though would spend hours on their rooftops {some even during summers, +40 degrees celcius} flying kites.

In addition to kite flying I don't know how to play marbles  and  am pretty useless as a card player.

http://www.indiankites.com/images/rajafly.jpg - http://www.indiankites.com/images/rajafly.jpg

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2006 at 22:33

Everyone tries to outplay each other, with some lacing their kite strings with a glass cutting agent to cut others kite strings! Sounds fascinating

The thread coated with glass powder is known as Maanja/Manja. Kite is attached to the Manja.After the Maanja {Maanja's length depends on the kite flyers choice and budget} comes simple thread dori/soot {white while Maanja is coloured}.

In addition to being fascinating Maanja is dangerous .Due to the thread being coated with glass powder,  friction between the kite flyers fingers and the maanja causes injuries which can be pretty serious sometimes.

There are two ways of cutting other kites in sky.One is to hold your string and thus the kite loose {dheel},second one is to pull your kite{khench}.Will have to ask an expert kite-flyer which way is more effective.My opinion is it's a matter of chance{but then.....I don't know how to fly a kite}.

A dude making Maanja out of soot.

http://www.artexchanges.org.uk/images/modified/1499.jpg - http://www.artexchanges.org.uk/images/modified/1499.jpg

Could not find pic for soot.

Maanja---ready to be sold in the market.

http://www.foreverflying.com/absolute-spools.jpg - http://www.foreverflying.com/absolute-spools.jpg

Here's a European Kite.......

It's a red one though.

http://www.ebd.csic.es/~busta/images/goshawk.jpg - http://www.ebd.csic.es/~busta/images/goshawk.jpg

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 14:11
Very nice  Jhangora,for me I like the halawa.

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Posted By: Censored
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 01:03

people of lahore

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 02:04
lol, I'm sure he regrets that picture

-------------

Posted By: amir khan
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2006 at 14:38

^ looks like a fun guy! I bet he can show us a fun time hanging out in Lahore!

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 00:03

I like Pakistan Rangers

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2006 at 10:18

Nice pictures, Vodka. I think the Rangers are a paramilitary group. The special forces are the SSG.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 05:50

Nice pics, Shukaria to both Vodka and TeleIndus.

Couldnt share links with were you found the images could you?

-------------

Posted By: Luv_ya_Azerbaijan
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2006 at 13:21
I like the Pakistani hospitality, their people are very nice (most of them) and they can cook well

-------------
Turk milletlerinin birlik yoluna!!!!

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2006 at 10:46
hmmmm Pakistan is good place people are very nice, food is good i like it,not bad city hmm my mark 9/10

Date Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 14:23

I like Pakistani Tea.

-------------

Posted By: AthaNnikIcHaA
Date Posted: 24-Feb-2006 at 06:09

I like Pakistani Wedding

-------------

Baingan Khaa Lo Baingan

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2006 at 06:54

I like Paan-Gali {Lahore}

http://www.thingsasian.com/goto_article/article.2434.html - http://www.thingsasian.com/goto_article/article.2434.html

http://chowk.com/show_user_replies.cgi?membername=mohajir&start=430&end=439&page=44&chapter=5 - http://chowk.com/show_user_replies.cgi?membername=mohajir&am p;start=430&end=439&page=44&chapter=5

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 03:41

Clifton Beach Karachi

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 05:19
Originally posted by ChawwaniKiChaa

I like Pakistani Tea.

yes pakistanian tea is very dilicios have you tried Azeri tea it's delicious also

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 06:58

only three things I can come up with that I like about Pakistan:

My friends Irfan, Khuram and Ihsan.

-------------

Posted By: erkut
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 07:15
i like them becouse they helped us. they send money to us while we were fighting against greeks.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 10:11

yes pakistanian tea is very dilicios have you tried Azeri tea it's delicious also

No I havn't so far Azeri Boy.

Wasim Akram.Arguably the all time best left-arm pace bowler.

-------------

Posted By: Koda ku Rot
Date Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 04:51

Voice of Reshma.

Chaar dina da pyaar ho Rabba....Lambi Judai...

-------------
What is this?Khandu Machu Lon March Pees

Posted By: malizai_
Date Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 22:05
  1. Universal Hospitality
  2. Basant (kite festival)
  3. The Geography
  4. Mysticsm
  5. Food Street
  6. Old bazaars and narrow alleys

-------------

Posted By: jayeshks
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 12:36
1.Pakistani TV soaps/serials.  Indian soaps are such garbage.  I haven't watched any Pakistani serials in a while but most of the ones I've seen were memorable and interesting.
2.Urdu.  Newsreader style Urdu in a neutral accent is so beautiful and aristocratic sounding. 
3.Mughlai cuisine
4.Roohafza (I even have it my fridge right now)
5.Milky sweets/kheers etc. 

Posted By: RajputGirl
Date Posted: 03-May-2006 at 16:43

These are 'Pathans'

Shahrukh Khan

Someone said that Shah Rukh's mom isn't Pathan?  Anybody know what ethnicity she is? 

Posted By: TeldeInduz
Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 11:16

n why r all ur modern wonders under construction.......

Coming along from what I can find.

Creek City

KPT fountain (620 ft)

Port Tower Complex

http://www.businessrecorder.com/index.php?id=384982&currPageNo=1&query=&search=&term=&supDate - http://www.businessrecorder.com/index.php?id=384982&curr PageNo=1&query=&search=&term=&supDate =

-------------
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................

Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 12:27
Well Telde i'm glad theres some stuff like that because it will finally give an incentive for mine to get it's butt moving!

Also, the Karachi port tower will be the second largest in the world after the Burj Dubai. Next stop, India

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?13946130 - http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?13946130

Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 00:26
Originally posted by RajputGirl

These are 'Pathans'

Shahrukh Khan

Someone said that Shah Rukh's mom isn't Pathan?  Anybody know what ethnicity she is? 

Probably Punjabi.

-------------
~ Khushal Khan Khattak

Posted By: CHAUDRY
Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 21:12

-------------
no comment

Posted By: CHAUDRY
Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 21:23

Five things i like about Pakistan:

1) (The intensly patriotic) People of pakistan Hug

2) Pakistani food
3) Pakistani women
4) Lahore
5) Pakistan army, who right now tries to keep the filth Pig out from the western border.

-------------
no comment

Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 02:28
Punjabi's don't wed-of their women to outsiders, as per the afghan tradition of 'selling' their women-folk.
Don't talk durt, wihtout knowing the Punjab and it's traditions.

How is he talking dirt?  Seriously, what decade are you guys living in?  So what if his mom is Punjabi?  There are tons of Bollywood celebrities who are products of inter-ethnic marriages.

Amitabh Bacchan's mom is Punjabi, and his dad is either a UPite or Bengali Kayastha.
Juhi Chawla is half-Gujarati/half-Punjabi. 

Priyanka Chopra, Malaika Arora, and Amrita Arora are half-Malyalee and half-Punjabi.   
Esha Deol is Tamil and Punjabi. 
 Celina Jaitley is half-Afghan, 25% Kashmiri and 25% Punjabi.   
Miss India 2006 Neha Kapur is Bihari/Punjabi.
Lara Dutta is 75% Punjabi and 25% white, and the list goes on. 

Date Posted: 27-May-2006 at 01:05
Originally posted by RajputGirl

How is he talking dirt?  Seriously, what decade are you guys living in?  So what if his mom is Punjabi?  There are tons of Bollywood celebrities who are products of inter-ethnic marriages.

Amitabh Bacchan's mom is Punjabi, and his dad is either a UPite or Bengali Kayastha.
Juhi Chawla is half-Gujarati/half-Punjabi. 

Priyanka Chopra, Malaika Arora, and Amrita Arora are half-Malyalee and half-Punjabi.   
Esha Deol is Tamil and Punjabi. 
 Celina Jaitley is half-Afghan, 25% Kashmiri and 25% Punjabi.   
Miss India 2006 Neha Kapur is Bihari/Punjabi.
Lara Dutta is 75% Punjabi and 25% white, and the list goes on. 

Rajput Girl this thread is about things people like about Pakistan.All the celebrities you've mentioned are Indians.

What do you like about Pakistan.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 00:13
Rajput Girl this thread is about things people like about Pakistan.All the celebrities you've mentioned are Indians.

What do you like about Pakistan.

Um, the fact that the president is from where my parents are from. 

The Kalash tribe also seems intriguing. 

And, that's all what you're getting for today.  LOL

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 19:35

There is no debate about what I believe.  But yes I think I have made my point about this.  The only thing i really like about Pakistan is....well, I'll get back to you on that one. 

I was curious, do they have Khattaks in Afghanistan??  cuz last time I checked, the Khattak tribes live in Kohat and Nowshera districts of Pakistan. 
Also, just wanted to point out one thing to my 'wrora' pukhtun from Afghanistan who toes the typical 'have a problem with Pakistan line even though half the population benefitted from Pakistans hospitality for the last 2 decades' and it was because of Pakistan that freedom fighter/Mujahideen forces where able to organize themselves, get armed and force the soviets to leave the country. Maybe Pakistan should have put the refugees in cages like Iran did(ironically, Afghans are ingratious towards Iranians) with number tags on their wrists, but that goes against Pakistani/Pukhtun hospitality so we let u into the country free to do business, live, marry, drug smuggling, prostitution and get harrassed by police like all pakistani do!and do whatever else u wanted.. we treated Afghans like brothers/family.  History has altered the demographics of the region.  while all Pukhtuns are Afghans, not all Afghans are puktuns as in Afghanistan there are also, Tajiks (who make up the educated and upper crust of society, and is the group most emulated by other Afghans such as the pushtuns), Hazaras, Chahar Aimaks/heratis, nooristanis, turkmens, minority Sikh, Hindus, Jews  etc... (in other words its also an ethnically diverse nation just as Pakistan is).   If one looks at the demographics of the two countries (Pakistan & Afghanistan), u'll find that there are approximately just over 11 million Pushtuns living in Afghanistan whereas in Pakistan there are over  23 million Pukhtuns/Pushtuns (this does not include non-pushto speaking Puktuns, Pathans,Urdu Khaans or whatever u wanna call them. By 2020 they are expected to number more than 35 million based on their higher birth rate and represent 27% of Pakistan(as other groups in Pakistans birth rate declines). On top of that, revised UN data on refugees puts the original number of Afghans residing in the country at 5 million with about 1.8-2 million repatriated back to Afghanistan(included in the stated Afghan population) with around 3 million remaining in Pakistan(85% are ethnically Pukhtun, rest 15% are Tajik, Hazara, Turkmen and Nooristanis) and intent on planning to stay permanently in Pakistan.  The point is, technically speaking,  Pakistan is now more Afghan than Afghanistan itself!  The biggest Pukhtun population in the world is ironically in sindh in the city of Karachi! and there are large populations in Peshawer(>3.5 million), Rawalpindi, Multan, Lahore, Islamabad(they represent 35%) and Quetta. While in Afghanistan, Pukhtun is synanamous with being backward, poor and undeducated and treated poorly in upper social circles(especially if they cant speak dari properly, in Pakistan Pukhtuns are looked up to, respected, emulated, are progressing rapidly(they are disproportionately represented in the armed forces, beauracracy, police and business) and often over emphasize there poor Urdu speaking capabilities!  So, look at the reality and facts 'wrora';  sometimes I wish someone majestic like Abdali would reappear out of Afghanistan and look at the big picture instead of the petty minded individuals being pumped out of there nowadays.  but who knows, I have hope and faith(Imaan), that one day again, Insha-Allah, Pakistan and Afghanistan can join into a greater empire, put aside their differences and work for the greater good by combining their resources.  By joining together, u squeaze out the idiots in both countries! 
Anyhow, The thing I like the most of Pakistan, is the fact that its the worlds 7th and only Islamic Nuclear Power in the World.  Its Armed Forces is awesome and the fact that despite sanctions, pressure from bigger enemies, the people have a strong will and faith that overcomes all odds.  Check out the new plane were making on 50:50 basic with China(A true ally of Pakistan)....

-------------

Posted By: TeldeInduz
Date Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 22:31

You put all my thoughts in that post too Watt..As for the JF-17, the new prototype looks really good. Here's a video of the old prototype.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6759425224735284123 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6759425224735284123

Its Indian adversary

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2853639506896885406 - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2853639506896885406

-------------
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................

Posted By: Dear Sir
Date Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 06:11
I think Inzamam Ul Haq is a very good Batsman and a Captain though not a good runner between the wickets.

-------------
AHAM BRAHMASMI

Posted By: maqsad
Date Posted: 17-Sep-2006 at 13:41
Originally posted by Anujkhamar

I have got to say, i like the pic of that sindhi man. Really original!

Judging by the AK tattoo on his head he may be kashmiri?

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com