Print Page | Close Window

Alexander the Gay?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Historical Amusement
Forum Discription: For role playing and alternative history discussions.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=841
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 08:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Alexander the Gay?
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Alexander the Gay?
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 22:25
What do you think? I've heard several different things.

Replies:
Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 06:15

You completely fail to understand that for the ancient Greeks there was no such thing as "gay".

It was feminine behavior that was condemned but not "homosexual" behavior. This is a Christian ethic. Men were supposed to receive erotic pleasure and women were supposed to offer it. Not very feministic approach but that's the way it was, I'm afraid. Moreover male "friendship" was idealized in literature and inspired many writers.

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 07:12

"When Philoxenus, his lieutenant on the sea-coast, wrote to him to know if he would buy two young men of great beauty, whom one Theodorus, a Tarentine, had to sell, he was so offended that he often expostulated with his friends what baseness Philoxenus had ever observed in him that he should presume to make him such a reproachful offer. And he immediately wrote him a very sharp letter, telling him Theodorus and his merchandise might go with his good-will to destruction. Nor was he less severe to Hagnon, who sent him word he would buy a Corinthian youth named Crobylus, as a present for him. And hearing that Damon and Timotheus, two of Parmenio's Macedonian soldiers, had abused the wives of some strangers who were in his pay, he wrote to Parmenio, charging him strictly, if he found them guilty, to put them to death, as wild beasts that were only made for the mischief of mankind. In the same letter he added, that he had not so much as seen or desired to see the wife of Darius, nor suffered anybody to speak of her beauty before him. He was wont to say that sleep and the act of generation chiefly made him sensible that he was mortal; as much as to say, that weariness and pleasure proceed both from the same frailty and imbecility of human nature. "

Plutarch-Alexander

-------------

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 14:27
he was bi, he had affairs with both genders.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Shifty Russian
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 16:36

Maybe what made him so great is he appealed to both sides  ... maybe even a third LOL

... i know what i said

-------------
I'm Shifty Russian, Suka

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 01:48
Originally posted by Shifty Russian

... maybe even a third LOL

I think you refer to the alleged affair with the eunuch Vagoas. But this is more fiction than fact...

-------------

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 02:31
Originally posted by Yiannis

I think you refer to the alleged affair with the eunuch Vagoas. But this is more fiction than fact...

ooh good, cause i thought he was trying to say that he played with himself.

-------------

Posted By: Imperatore Dario I
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 15:51

Alexander did have an affair with a woman (his wife), but he was always disinterested in sex with women, he wanted an heir to his throne. But Alexander was gay, but so what? Imy friend is gay too, should he be punished or something?

TYPO!!!

I just noticed...

-------------

“Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.”- Virgil's Aeneid

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 16:03
Alexander actually had 4 wifes, at least 3 legal wifes.

-------------

Posted By: BattleGlory
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 16:59
Bisexual would be the closest thing you could call him.

-------------
~If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
~Time can change me, but I can't change time.

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 21:28
Originally posted by BattleGlory

Can you post something that proves it?

-------------

Posted By: JanusRook
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 00:25

I think just plain sexual would sum it up.

I mean from what I've read the guy probably got off in battle.

<in a figurative sense, like he enjoyed it too much>

-------------
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 19:59

Originally posted by Polemidas

Yiannis said everything I wanted to say.  It was considered normal and expected for men to engage in what we would call homosexual relationships in ancient Greece.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 22:48

Originally posted by Polemidas

Yiannis said everything I wanted to say.  It was considered normal and expected for men to engage in what we would call homosexual relationships in ancient Greece.

We were talking specifically for Alexander:Can you support your claims about his bisexuality?

Not that i agree with your statements about homosexuality in ancient Greece

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 02:33

Can you support your claims about his bisexuality?

Quite simple: it was the norm in those days. It was the "expected" behavior. The State or the "Church" were not interested in your love life. If Bill Clinton lived in ancient Greece nobody would lift an eyebrow over Monica.

However, being passive would result in one being the laugh of the city and even (more serious) lose his civil rights.

Love between free men is regulated by the affair between Erastes (lover) and Eromenos (boyfriend). Erastes was a man acting as the boy's mentor and Eromenos the boy, usually 12-14 years old. It is debated that penetration between free men was not the case, so in this affair affection was limited to fondling. There 're however reports of slave or outsiders that were boy-prostitutes.

Once again, women were regarded as somehow "inferior" and the bond between two men (which, I must consider it, might me misinterpreted by our modern ethics as homosexual) was considered almost divine.

Bottom-line: sex between men was no problem for ancient Greeks, as long as the citizen was not the passive one. But being a queer was an absolute no-no!

These are the facts as they come from various sources I've read over the years. If you want to write an essay or something, you better do your own research, if you don't agree, please state your view on the matter .

-------------

Posted By: warlord
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 03:16

Was Alexander gay? Was Hitler gay? Suh questions are always asked about important people.

Someday historians will ask 'Was Warlord gay?'

-------------

Posted By: Master of Puppets
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 09:13
 LOL

-------------
Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 13:24
I beleive the term of interest here is my new favorite thing to call people randomly: catamite

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 19:10

Can you support your claims about his bisexuality?

Quite simple: it was the norm in those days. It was the "expected" behavior. The State or the "Church" were not interested in your love life. If Bill Clinton lived in ancient Greece nobody would lift an eyebrow over Monica.

However, being passive would result in one being the laugh of the city and even (more serious) lose his civil rights.

Love between free men is regulated by the affair between Erastes (lover) and Eromenos (boyfriend). Erastes was a man acting as the boy's mentor and Eromenos the boy, usually 12-14 years old. It is debated that penetration between free men was not the case, so in this affair affection was limited to fondling. There 're however reports of slave or outsiders that were boy-prostitutes.

Once again, women were regarded as somehow "inferior" and the bond between two men (which, I must consider it, might me misinterpreted by our modern ethics as homosexual) was considered almost divine.

Bottom-line: sex between men was no problem for ancient Greeks, as long as the citizen was not the passive one. But being a queer was an absolute no-no!

These are the facts as they come from various sources I've read over the years. If you want to write an essay or something, you better do your own research, if you don't agree, please state your view on the matter .

"Of course homosexuality existed in Greece, just as it has existed, and will continue to exist, everywhere and at all times in human history. However, while it did exist, it was never legally sanctioned, thought to be a cultural norm, or engaged in without risk of serious punishment, including exile and death." A pitiful creature like Barney Frank, for instance, would have -- upon his particular "proclivity" being discovered -- been executed or sent into exile. After which, his living quarters would have been fumigated and ritually purified by a priest. Unless, of course, he had previously "gone public" with his homosexual lifestyle. In that case, though he would have been permitted to live, he would, under Athenian law (grafí etairísios), not be permitted to

become one of the nine archons, nor to discharge the office of priest, nor to

act as an advocate for the state, nor shall he hold any office whatsoever, at home

or abroad, whether filled by lot or by election; he shall not be sent as a herald;

he shall not take part in debate, nor be present at the public sacrifices; when the

citizens are wearing garlands, he shall wear none; and he shall not enter within the

limits of the place that has been purified for the assembling of the people. Any

man who has been convicted of defying these prohibitions pertaining to sexual

conduct shall be put to death (Aeschines. "Contra Timarchus," as cited in

Georgiades, p. 69).

We learn as well that "Athens had the strictest laws pertaining to homosexuality of any democracy that has ever existed" (62). In non-democratic Sparta, as well as in democratic Crete and the rest of democratic Hellas, there were similar prohibitions with similar punishments as that meted out in Athens, and Georgiades gives us citations galore to prove his main thesis: "At no time, and in no place, was this practice considered normal behavior, or those engaged in it allowed to go unpunished" (passim). In order to remove any doubt whatsoever, he draws on such ancient luminaries as Aeschylus, Aristophanes, Diodorus Seculus, Euripides, Homer, Lysias, Plato, Plutarch and Xenophon, all of whom have left a written record as to what the prevailing norms were concerning this behavior. He also covers Greek vase painting, Mythology and Lesbianism, while not neglecting to reveal the truth about such much-maligned personalities from Hellas' glorious past as Achilles and Patroclus, Alcibiades and Socrates, Alexander the Great and Hephaestion, and the woman that the later Greeks regarded as "the greatest of the lyric poets," Sappho.

Greek vase painting has been a favorite source for the distorters of Greek culture and civilization. Georgiades points out that, of the tens of thousands of vases unearthed so far (the count for just the province of Attica, where Athens is located, is over 80,000), only 30 or so have an overtly homosexual theme; representing, in other words, just .01% of the total (127). When one compares this small percentage to what we see today on TV, in ads, books, magazines, the cinema, etc., one can just imagine what future generations will think of us. There is more, much more, but the purpose of this review is to stimulate the reader to order the book to see for himself just how Georgiades has managed to shed the light of truth on this important aspect of Greek history.

There is one more thing, however, that must be said. Georgiades has -- in a clear and easy-to-comprehend manner -- delineated the difference between what the ancients meant when they used the words "Erastis" and "Eromenos," and the way these words are translated and used in our time. This alone is worth the price of the book. Briefly, to the ancient Greeks, the term Erastis denoted a man who mentored, in a non-physical way, an Eromenos. The Eromenos was in all cases a beardless youth who looked up to and respected his mentor, and who had been commissioned by the boy's parents to take on the vital chore of preparing him to assume the roles of husband, father, soldier, and active citizen in the affairs of his community. Georgiades delves deeply into this relationship, and explains how and why these terms have come today to be confused with the "dominant" and "passive" partners in an homosexual union"

From the review of Georgiades "Debunking the Myth of Homosexuality in Ancient Greece "

Alexander is our case here.Read the part of Plutarch's "Alexander" ive posted where he denies his supposed bisexuality.

Now post your various sources proving it.

-------------

Posted By: JanusRook
Date Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 20:00

I beleive the term of interest here is my new favorite thing to call people randomly: catamite

Now lets leave batman and robin out of this.

-------------
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.

Date Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 03:27

Listen, I'm not here to support the idea that my (our?) ancestors were "queens" . I'm aware that the misinterpretation of the word "Eros" (which means much more than "love" in ancient Greek) created many misconceptions to later researchers.

But: Georgiades and his so called "Greco-report" are a bunch of ultra-right wing as*holes with an agenta.  With all due respect I'd ask you not to take them seriously...

Back to the point. We have many records in anciet comedies (mainly) of feminine homosexuals in Athens being ridiculed in the play because they show distingtly womanizing behaviour. We have reports of male slave prostirutes and vases with men couples having sex. Alcibiades was walking at the Agora dressed in purple robes that were dragging behind him and was "being feminine" (true, much to the disaproval of the Athenians - but one must also remember that he was still very popular) etc.

I don't fully understand what your point is, but I suspect we're quite close. When it comes to my sources, sorry but I'm too lazy to look for them. I simply posted what comes to mind from memory. (and once again, greco-report is not a "source"...)

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 20:43

Alexander is our case here.Read the part of Plutarch's "Alexander" ive posted where he denies his supposed bisexuality.

Plutarch isn't an accurate source.  He was writing a book on morals, he didn't write for historical accuracy.  Anything he says doesn't prove jack****.

I don't believe I can remember there being anything that says explicitly that Alexander had a relationship with a man (except maybe Bagoas).  It is really reading between the lines of his actions with Hephaistion.

-------------

Posted By: vagabond
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2004 at 01:19

There is a similar discussion going on at SMQ.  I have edited my response there and adapted it a bit.  As Yiannis has pointed out there and again here - The ancient Greek cultures had no words and no concepts that would relate to most of our usages of words relating to homosexuality (a term that was itself invented in the late 19th century).

To say that Alexander the Great was Gay or Bi or Straight is like discussing whether or not he was a good auto mechanic. Modern value judgements do not have a place in the discussion of history - they serve only to reflect how we feel about particular actions today and shed no light on the events of the past.  Can we not accept the ancients simply for who and what they were without imposing modern value judgments on them?

The best article online about Alexander's sexuality was written by Dr. Jeanne Reames-Zimmerman from The Pennsylvania State University and can be found at the best website about Alexander - see the pages here: http://www.pothos.org/alexander.asp?paraID=42 - http://www.pothos.org/alexander.asp?paraID=42 a well researched and informed opinion by one of the number of scholars that frequent pothos.org "Alexander the Great's Home on the Web".

I have not read any of Giorgiades' work - but the reviews that I have found are not complimentary about his scholarship.  I do know that 
former Yale professor John Boswell's (1947 - 1994) research would contradict Giorgiades'.  Boswell was the A. Whitney Griswold Professor of History at Yale University.  If you would like to read further, his "Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality" received a National Book award in 1981 and the first two chapters of his "Same Sex Unions in Premodern Europe" directly address the question of the acceptability of homosexuality in Greco Roman societies.

A few examples that I have culled from his and other works which seem to me to show that these relationships were not only accepted, but celebrated:  Zeus and Ganymede, Harmodius and Aristogeiton, Achilles and Patroclus, the Theban Band, Hadrian's relationship with and the ensuing cult of Antinous, Sappho's poetry, numerous vase paintings (I disagree with the numbers quoted above but have no source materials here at this time), and moving to Rome - Edward Gibbon's observation that "of the first fifteen emperors Claudius was the only one whose taste in love was entirely correct."

Greco-Roman societies did not base their sexual relationships on homo or hetero-sexuality as we see it today.  They based much of their sexual behavior on power.  The Eremenos/Erastes relationship is one example.  The head of the household could have had relations with anyone in the household - as he fundamentally owned them all - from his wife and children through servants and on to his slaves.  There were - from what I have read - no objections to men having relations with other men as long as a man did not take a passive role with someone who was his social inferior.   The objections of the Athenians to Alcabiades' behavior had only to do with his display of femininity, and therefore passivity, which was not acceptable behavior for a man in power. 

The Romans had the same objections to the rumors about Caesar being "every man's wife"; to Elagabalus' partner Hierocles being referred to as the "Husband" of the emperor; and to Nero's (second)wedding to a man in which Nero was given away as the bride.  It was not that two men were involved.  The unacceptable issue was that the emperor would take a submissive role in the relationship.  When Hadrian lost Antinous, Rome mourned with him and the cult of Antinous lasted for over 200 years.

Was Alexander gay?  Was he a good president?  I'd have to say no to both of the above.  He probably wasn't a good auto mechanic either.

-------------
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)

Posted By: Cornellia
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2004 at 08:40

Exactly - what Yiannis and Vagabond said.

-------------
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

Posted By: Imperatore Dario I
Date Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 17:09
Who cares of Alexander's preferences? Damn it, he was a great general and a great monarch, that's what we need to know about him, who cares about his personal affairs?

-------------

“Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.”- Virgil's Aeneid

Date Posted: 03-May-2006 at 18:42
He was bisexual. You can find the answer ina a very good trilogy called "alexandros" and written by Valerio Massimo Manfredi.

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 03:47
If you can find answers to historical questions in Mafredi's books, then you're the first person in the human kind to do so, mainly because his books are fiction inspired by historical events!

-------------

Posted By: Scorpian
Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 03:48

Originally posted by cattus

ooh good, cause i thought he was trying to say that he played with himself.

Bravo!!!!

psml   -  i was thinking more Alexander and Hermerphraditeus

-------------
Scorpian

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 16:51
In every Greek forum I make the same conversation I was the only who don't supported the idea that the view of Alexander as a bisexual is a product of anti-Hellenic propaganda. The main idea is the supposed lack of written evidences about Alexander's bisexuality. The truth off course is totally different and Alexander's homosexual habits are recorded.

One ancient source is Atheneus, a Greek 2nd century AD writer, and his great word "Deipnosophistae". I will show you two very interesting parts.

And Hieronymus, in his Letters, says, that Theophrastus says, that Alexander was not much of a man for women; and accordingly, when Olympias had Given hint Callixene, a Thessalian courtesan, for a mistress, Who was a most beautiful woman, (and all this was done with the consent of Philip, for they were afraid that he was quite Impotent,) she was constantly obliged to ask him herself to do his duty by her.

King Alexander also was madly devoted to boys. Dicaearchus, at any rate, in his book On the Sacrifice at Ilium says d that he was so overcome with love for the eunuch Bagoas that, in full view of the entire theatre, he, bending over, caressed Bagoas fondly, and when the audience clapped and shouted in applause, he, nothing loath, again bent over and kissed him.

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 17:02
He was definitely not a gay. He had children, right?

He was a bisexual though, which was very common among the powerful people of Ancient Greece or so I heard.

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 18:10
Alexander's sexuality has been the subject of wild speculation. Some have supposed that his closeness to his mother was a sign of sexual impotence. Others that he had homosexual affairs with herds of eunouchs and Hephaestion. The truth is not attainable nor of importance. For the Macedonian court homosexual and heterosexual attachments were equally reputable and had no effects in war and politics. Dissapointingly for sensationalists writers Alexander's relations with women seem to have been normal enough for a Macedonian king. Three or four wives at the age of 32 and two maybe three sons by Barsine and Roxane.

Posted By: akritas
Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 02:00

I vote No. I think  Pothos article and Yannis comments cover me up well as about the speculations of the Alexander sexuality. I want to add this quote  from the Pothos article :

Our three Greek historians (Arrian, Diodorus and Plutarch) never term him erastes or eromenos, only philos or malista timomenos. Alexander himself calls him philalexandros (friend of Alexander). Curtius and Justin use only amicus, never amans. The only implication of a sexual relationship or use of the term eromenos for Hephaistion occurs in late sources or those of dubious authorship. [Ael. VH 12.7, Epic. Dis. 2.12.17-18, Diog. Epistles 24, and Luc. Dial. Dead 397.]

-------------

Date Posted: 08-May-2006 at 17:51
The relationship of Alexander with Hephaistion maybe is a speculation but the relationship of Alexander with Bagoas is a fact.

Posted By: John the Kern
Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 11:53
Does it matter? he fought well, conquered a huge area of land. does it matter whom he took to bed respect him for his victories,his sexuality is irrelevant

-------------
My peoples tale is written in blood

Posted By: Istor the Macedonian
Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 15:47
He was occasionally bisexual; he had no hesitation to have sex with men, it was not un-natural at those times. Aristoteles blaims ONLY sex between father and son; this means that other peoples' having sex wasn't that balimable.

So, I vote bisexual as I would vote for any ancient Greek

Istor the Macedonian

-------------
Istor
Macedonian, therefore Greek!

Posted By: Bosniakum
Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 17:58

To compare Ancient Greece with today one has first to consider the cultural differences. First homosexuality did not exist in Greece, but bisexuality was very accepted, but not in todays way.  For example today in the west we glorify the female figure and body in every way so when a woman says that another woman is beautiful she is not considered a lesbian automatically, because that is accepted in our culture, but one has to understand that in Ancient Greece's culture that was the opposite, meaning that the male body and figure(masculinity) were glorified.  So when a young man was athletic and good looking it was accepted if other men aknowledged that and they were not immediately looked as homosexual or bisexual.

-------------
"I krv svoju za Bosnu moju"

Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 18:06
Lets not forget how Greeks scultured woman's body. Look for Aphrodite of Melos in Louvre museum site. 

-------------
Istor

Posted By: Bosniakum
Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 20:44
No one can deny that Ancient Greece was a man's world.

-------------
"I krv svoju za Bosnu moju"

Posted By: Bulldog
Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 18:29

Ancient Greece? such a notion or term never existed.

Alexander the Great was a Macedonian.

It's likely that he was Homosexual and his children are the result of him wanting to carry on the lineage.

I don;t know why its causing a fuss the various states in that region were among the first to institutionalise and promote Homosexuality.   This is no secret or something bad or wrong unless your Homophobic in which case obviously you woulnd't want to accept this reality.

A pinacle period of history for Homosexuals, there are so many studies relating it that's its unbelievable.

-------------
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
Albert Pine

Posted By: Digenis
Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 19:01
Originally posted by Bulldog

1.Ancient Greece? such a notion or term never existed.

2.Alexander the Great was a Macedonian.

Ancient Greece never existed?
You are a bit dazed and confused...
Maybe if u take off your nation-state or your racial/genetical glasses you ll clearly see Ancient Hellas,and her pure Hellen child Alexander.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 09:29

Sorry but the Ancient city states in that area cannot be called "Greek States"

Everyone accepts Alexander the Great was a Macedonian, why would everyone lie yet only Greeks tell the truth? yes that is puzzling Wink

-------------
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
Albert Pine

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 13:38
Macedonians, as well as southern Greeks were divided in several city states before Philip and after Alexander. Those leaders managed to unify all Greeks for one purpose. To punish Persians for the damages they had made to Greeks.

Those states hated and fought each other brutally and ceaselessly. But every four years, all Greeks, including Macedonians were there, in Olympia, to play those famous games, to read their books and to reacognize each other's Greekness.

-------------
Istor

Posted By: dorian
Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 18:07

Alexander the Great was a Macedonian.

1. Ancient Greece didn't exist? Maybe you have never read history. The fact that there was not a united Greek state leads you to this misconception?

2. Macedonia from the ancient times till the Balkan and World wars was a region which was inhabited by many tribes but the greek population was always more numerous. Macedonia (and Epirus) was always the northern border of hellenism which in some way kept the southern Greeks safe from the northern threats something that played a major role in the  creation of the classic civilisation.

-------------
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM

Posted By: Flipper
Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 18:37

Sorry but the Ancient city states in that area cannot be called "Greek States"

Everyone accepts Alexander the Great was a Macedonian, why would everyone lie yet only Greeks tell the truth? yes that is puzzling Wink

Everyone accepts that Leonidas was spartan, Demosthenis Athenian, Minoas Kretan and Aristoteles Macedonian. All those cities where Hellinic city states identified by language and culture not by the name of the state. Macedonian is the name of a Macedonian citizen not his ethnicity. The word derives from Macednon which means tall, so why should these people give themselves a Hellinic name if they were something else? A part of my family is Macedonian from way back and they do not class themselves as another ethnicity than Greek. Now, I really don't get how people in FYROM has anything to do with Macedonia (except from living in a part of it) when they speak bulgarian and can't read a single Macedonian inscription?

Here's some inscriptions from a Macedonian tomb in Pieria

Xenokratis Pierionos is the name of the dead. Xenokratis of Pieria would that mean. In the bottom you can read Deykalos which is the deads claim to be descended of the family of Deukalion. Deykalion was one of the first Kings of Hellas. His son Hellin gave the name to the ethnicity called Hellinic (not Greek like people call Hellens nowadays).

Don't know why Greeks would lie but there's way too much evidence that shows clearly that Macedonians were just another city state with people talking the same language and having the same ethnic consciousness.

Even George Rawlinson the famous English historian that wrote about the history of Phoenicians and traslated Herodotus, says clearly that the Pelasgians were the first to inhabit Macedonia and called themselves Macedni. Why should an history exprert like Rawlinson lie?

In case you don't know who the Pelasgians were...The Pelasgians together with the Cadmeians are the protohellinic tribes. As I mentioned before they were the first to give a name to the Hellinic ethnicity.

And remember that the Dorians came from that area too...How would a Dorian tribe be Greek in Sparta and something else in Macedonia? How come that both the northern Dorians and the Southern Dorians have the Dorian dialect?

So, you may guess that what "Everyone" that you mention confuse ethnicity of the Macedonians whith the Slavomacedonians that arrived in the 7th century A.D.

-------------

SÃ¥ nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 18:52

Cause Greece is not the name Hellenes use..

1) We don not call our country Greece, we call it hellas
2) We don not call eachother Greeks but Hellenes
3) Greek means slave, a name given to Hellenes under the Ottoman rule. Hellens are not insulted when someone calls them Greeks but if you look at it in another angle it's like calling an african a negro.

Conclusion: We've been calling ourselves Hellenes for thousands of years. In modern days, depending on our herritage we call ourselves for Minor Asian, Macedonian, Peloponisian, Kretan, Cypriots, Dodekanisioi, Chiotes, Epirotes, Kerkireoi, Eboites and the list goes on...Do you see a pattern in this? Obviously the world don't have a clue about how we classify ourserlves (or how we call ourselves). Athenians and Macedonians still fight each other about sports and dialect. You wouldn't understand that or hear about it if you didn't live here. For outsiders all these are "all greek" to them.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 11:00
Maybe you could answer this

From the Little Book of BIG Greek Lies

BIG Greek Lie # 2

by Risto Stefov

May 2005

http://www.maknews.com/html/articles/stefov/stefov55.html - In BIG Greek lie # 1 we showed that there were no "Ancient Greeks" since the word "Greek" was not coined until after the Roman conquests, approximately 600 years after the establishment of the City States and approximately 150 years after they were conquered by the Macedonians.
In a similar manner we will show that the Koine language was not exclusively Greek as Greece would have us believe.

The Koine language made its way into Macedonia a little before Philip II's time. Poorly worded and misspelled inscriptions written in Koine were found in the Macedonian capital which indicates that the language was not well understood and was just making its way there.
The roots of the Koine language may have started in one of the more progressive City States, most probably Athens, but by the time it made its way to the Eastern Mediterranean, it had become the language of administration and commerce, common to all Mediterranean nations.

In Macedonia, Koine was strictly the language of the educated and was used by the court administrators and the international merchants.

By the time Koine arrived in Macedonia it was already the "lingua franca" of administration and commerce in the Eastern Mediterranean world.

Koine in those days was like English is today. In Europe for example, counties have their own languages which they use to communicate at home, but internationally they use English to communicate with other countries.

Alexander the Great was the first to take Koine out of the Mediterranean world to Asia, Africa and other worlds he conquered.
The real heroes for Koine's success were Alexander's successors the Antigonids, Selucuseds and the Ptolemies. It is well known that the Ptolemies did not only insist on using Koine but they refused to learn any other language including those of the people they ruled.
Cleopatra VII was the only Macedonian sovereign from the Ptolemaic dynasty who broke the Ptolemaic rule and learned several languages including Egyptian.

The Koine language was so deeply rooted in the old Macedonian empires that even after they were conquered by the Romans it continued to flourish. Koine was spoken by Roman intellectual even in Rome. Almost all ancient literary works were written in Koine

Let's not forget that throughout the Macedonian and Roman periods Koine, in spite of its popularity with the educated and elite, it remained a language of Administration and commerce. Koine was never a language of the common people..............................

There's 15 more I don't know where to start.

-------------
Albert Pine

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 11:14
Originally posted by Flipper

Cause Greece is not the name Hellenes use..

1) We don not call our country Greece, we call it hellas
2) We don not call eachother Greeks but Hellenes
3) Greek means slave, a name given to Hellenes under the Ottoman rule. Hellens are not insulted when someone calls them Greeks but if you look at it in another angle it's like calling an african a negro.

Dude, what are you talking about? "Greek" comes from "Graekos" which is the name of an ancient greek tribe in Epirus. This name was used widely until the 19th century name by the Greeks. What is this about "slaves"?

Originally posted by Flipper

Conclusion: We've been calling ourselves Hellenes for thousands of years. In modern days, depending on our herritage we call ourselves for Minor Asian, Macedonian, Peloponisian, Kretan, Cypriots, Dodekanisioi, Chiotes, Epirotes, Kerkireoi, Eboites and the list goes on...Do you see a pattern in this? Obviously the world don't have a clue about how we classify ourserlves (or how we call ourselves). Athenians and Macedonians still fight each other about sports and dialect. You wouldn't understand that or hear about it if you didn't live here. For outsiders all these are "all greek" to them.

That is true and I want to add something. In modern days there is a cruel fight between Macedonians and Athenians (representing southern Greece) about sports and their teams, about their dialects (for Athenians the macedonian dialects sound strange and vice-versa), their way of living etc, things that remind us the ancient fight between athenians and macedonians.

-------------
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 11:36
Bulldog,

what do you want to prove? That there were not ancient Greeks because they didn't use the name "Greeks" for themselves? They formed the greek nation and they knew that. Read ancient greek historians please!!!! That's enough with these "historians" who have never read anything of the ancient texts.

About the koine language,you said that it wasn't exclusively greek...what do you mean? Where is the prooves in the text of...Risto Stefov (one of the advocates of the "modern macedonian nation").

-------------

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 12:37

BIG Greek Lie # 2

by Risto Stefov

May 2005

http://www.maknews.com/html/articles/stefov/stefov55.html - In a similar manner we will show that the Koine language was not exclusively Greek as Greece would have us believe.

The Koine language made its way into Macedonia a little before Philip II's time. Poorly worded and misspelled inscriptions written in Koine were found in the Macedonian capital which indicates that the language was not well understood and was just making its way there.
The roots of the Koine language may have started in one of the more progressive City States, most probably Athens, but by the time it made its way to the Eastern Mediterranean, it had become the language of administration and commerce, common to all Mediterranean nations.

In Macedonia, Koine was strictly the language of the educated and was used by the court administrators and the international merchants.

By the time Koine arrived in Macedonia it was already the "lingua franca" of administration and commerce in the Eastern Mediterranean world.

Koine in those days was like English is today. In Europe for example, counties have their own languages which they use to communicate at home, but internationally they use English to communicate with other countries.

Alexander the Great was the first to take Koine out of the Mediterranean world to Asia, Africa and other worlds he conquered.
The real heroes for Koine's success were Alexander's successors the Antigonids, Selucuseds and the Ptolemies. It is well known that the Ptolemies did not only insist on using Koine but they refused to learn any other language including those of the people they ruled.
Cleopatra VII was the only Macedonian sovereign from the Ptolemaic dynasty who broke the Ptolemaic rule and learned several languages including Egyptian.

The Koine language was so deeply rooted in the old Macedonian empires that even after they were conquered by the Romans it continued to flourish. Koine was spoken by Roman intellectual even in Rome. Almost all ancient literary works were written in Koine

Let's not forget that throughout the Macedonian and Roman periods Koine, in spite of its popularity with the educated and elite, it remained a language of Administration and commerce. Koine was never a language of the common people..............................

There's 15 more I don't know where to start.

Ok, as Dorian said you post your own nationalist historian as proof? Are you kidding us? Do you try to say that he's a more reliable source compared to Rawlinson and J. G. Droysen? If I post information from a Greek scientology site would anyone here take my post as a serious post? Can you please post evidence widely accepted by the international history forum?

But since I now understand your origin you come from a country where they teach you that Greeks were black. Do I need to say anything more?

People take a look on this link and make conclusion about the country that claims to be the real Macedonians: http://macedoniancivilization.blog.com.mk/node/1301

It's hilarious...

-------------

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 13:39
Bulldog,

Risto is the worst source about Greeks including Macedonians:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/407998/message/1115756638

-------------
Istor

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 13:52

Looks to me someone tries to build up an avowedly poor tasted case and starts flame wars with greeks. I suggest you mates not to fall so easily into but contact the moderation body to take some action.

@Bulldog your link turns out to be a petty nationalistic source with no credibilidity.  I can’t seem to get over the notion that your persistence to build up a paradoxical case has a well hiden agenda inside. I thought anyhow the topic spoke of Alexander's sexuality and not the imaginary theories of the city states origins.

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 14:20
You are correct Malfuri. Risto Stefov or Aristo Stefou is one from the biggest nationalistic Slavmacedonians. I have already answer for the lie #2 that you can read in this http://www.macedoniaontheweb.com/forum/anti-greek-alexander-propaganda/116-big-greek-lie-2-koine-language-greek.html - thread

One quote from my article is

As I said Mr Stefov the Grammar, Syntaxis, 75% of the modern Greek vocabulary use the ancient Greek language . Of course you forget to say that thinks in your article.
And Last your given Mr Stefov table with the Greek words is not accurate. And you speaking and read it the Hellenic language very well

We say alogo but also ippodromia (horse racing),
we say kota but also ornithotrofio(chicken farm),
we say gaidaros but also “peri onou skias” (proverb, = for a donkey’s shadow = for unimportant things),
we say psomi but we say “artopoieio” or “artopoleio” (=bakery).
We say aiga > aigidion > gida. (Aigai, first known capital of
Macedonia, is named after this word.)
The words katsiki and gaidaros have foreign origins. Probably turkish

-------------

Posted By: Digenis
Date Posted: 20-May-2006 at 10:11

BIG Greek Lie # 2

by Risto Stefov

May 2005

Well..i am a bit tired of all this..and a bit disapointed of myself that i cannot just ignore such funny things-i hope in a while i ll be able to remain silent Smile
Mr Risto StefOV...ok we need some Mr Zlatko or Mr.Stoiko --OV to teach history in here...
Plz present some serious and reliable historians-This guy obviously has nothing to do with history at all.
He is obviously confused.

http://www.maknews.com/html/articles/stefov/stefov55.html -

If he could speak and read in Greek(Attic dialect,Koine,Modern) he would be able to see that the Greeks were using "Hellen" to identify themselves at that era.

Aristotle mantions that the name" Graikoi "is older than "Hellenes".

In a similar manner we will show that the Koine language was not exclusively Greek as Greece would have us believe.

Koine was a form of Greek language-probably the guy here is confused:he will try to prove that koine was not used only by Greeks.(but who says the opposite ?Big smile

The Koine language made its way into Macedonia a little before Philip II's time.

IGNORANCE.
Koine was formed in the Hellenistic era (after Alexanders death 323 BC)
It was -mainly- a simplified Attic dialect spoken by the common people.The scholars of Alexandreia formed the rules of it.

Mr Risto doesnt know that it was the Attic Dialect that was introduced in Macedonian Government ,by Alexander I (1st half of 5th century BC)-more than one 150 years before Phillip II 's era.

Poorly worded and misspelled inscriptions written in Koine were found in the Macedonian capital which indicates that the language was not well understood and was just making its way there.

There were found inscriptions ONLY in Greek.
In Attic and (after 3nd cent BC)Koene.
And few inMacedonian Dialect-The Greek Dialect of the people there.
A curse text was found in Pella-its a greek language,very close to aeolian dialect.
But in any case the Macedonians (as All Greeks) adopted the evolution of Attic-the Koeni sooner or later.So in 600 AD ,when the first Slav settlers started to appear (1100 years after the adoption of Attic,900 years after the development of Greek Koeni),
these people were speaking the same Greek language with All the other Greeks.

Koine was never a language of the common people..............................

Well thats the funniest of all .In fact Koine was 100% the common people's language.
It was a simplified form of Attic dialect,as i mentioned,with some elements of other dialects.
The scholars prefered the ancient Attic.
Koine is the language in which the 4 gospels are written-a language almost similar to modern Greek,since modern is the evolution of it!!

So,the native Greeks of Macedonia-as 3 of my grandparents whereSmile-
were still speaking Koini for the last 2.300 years ,my friend.

Good Night.

-to the Point:
Who the ---- cares,about with whom was Alexander ----- in his ----- bed!!?

-------------

Date Posted: 24-May-2006 at 18:07

Edited by Komnenos for its extreme homophobic content.

AE's code of conduct ;

7. Derogatory remarks to individual members or social groups on grounds of their age, gender, religion or sexual orientation

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jun-2006 at 14:20

Πλούταρχος, "Περί Αλεξάνδρου Τύχης ή Αρετής", Αρετής Λόγος Α' 12:

Plutarch, Alexander's Merits,Speech A,12

"Αλέξανδρος δε, Φιλοξένου του της παραλίας υπάρχου γράψαντος, ότι παίς εν Ιωνία γέγονεν οίος ουκ άλλος ώραν και είδος, και πυνθανομένου δια των γραμμάτων ει αναπέμψη, πικρώς αντέγραψεν ω κάκιστ' ανθρώπων, τι μοι πώποτε τοιούτο συνέγνως, ίνα τοιαύταις με κολακεύσης ηδοναίς;"

[Alexandros, when Filoxenos wrote to him, the consul (governor) of the coast(beach), that it exists in Ionia a young person (pajs)  where, similar in his beauty  never born before, and asked to was informed with letter, if wanted to send to him, Alexandros wrote answering strictly  (bitterly): " Villain  from  all the persons,  you learned that I have been mixed never with such thinks,  in order to adulate me  with such type vicarious pleasures ?].

These quote is the only written source by ancient writer  for  the supposing Homosexuality. All the others are arbitrary  interpretations

-------------

Posted By: Polish Rob
Date Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 08:32
Alexanders time period was Hellenistic Greek. Its still in the realm of ancient history, so it can be referred to as Ancient Greek.

Greek's believed in love, and their boundaries did not scope the realm of which sex you were. Spartan soldiers were known to have relationships amongst each other to make them stronger warriors. Older Greek males were encouraged to have relationships with younger males.

If you want to take the route of bisexuality, you have to realize most males in Greek culture were bisexual.

Posted By: apro282
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 19:34
Originally posted by Aegipan

but the relationship of Alexander with Bagoas is a fact.

That actually is totally false and not proven. Aristotle’s dictum still stands: “He who asserts must also prove.” When you make a claim, the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that claim is to the fullest as being correct/right/true and this suppose claim has never been proven. Fox remarks on the subject: "Later gossip presumed that Bagoas was Alexander’s lover. This is uncertain."[xi]  Even the lesbian writer Mary Renault, the patron saint of all those who seek to prove Alexander’s bisexuality, clearly acknowledges, "No historian states plainly whether they were physical lovers."[xii]  Like she didn't have a personal agenda when she wrote her fictional work about Alexander being gay/bi/or whatever. Ermm
The only one to suggested anything of the sort was Quintus Curtius Rufus, the only Roman historian who's works survived about Alexander and writes from the 1st century AD, but his source of information is considered "bad" by many legit historians given that his "source" was Cleitarchus, which contains many serious errors in itself. Curtius work shows ignorance of geography, chronology and technical military knowledge, he focuses mostly on Alexander's supposed "psychosis" that when further scrutinized one can see how very flawed in errors even that part in Curtius work is ...which is why he as a "source" is considered "bad".  Alexander's relationship towards Bagoas being anything "romantic" is not historical fact but based on Curtius' "bad" material. Curtius is also the only person to describe Bagoas as "eromenos" (beloved) towards Alexander, a term used for a younger male lover. From Curtius' work later writers such as the 20th century writer Mary Renault, who by the way was a lesbian writer and not even trained in classicist, took that faulty info and put her own spin to them to create such "classics" as "The Persian Boy", who some idiots out there, this is not directed to you btw, call her fictional works as "historical".
Plus lets not forget that Alexander was influenced a lot by his teacher, Aristotle, and anyone who has read Aristotle's ideas on same sex love will know that he believed such acts were deformed conditions brought about either by natural disorder or by habit. Aristotle's rants against such acts would more then likely be considered hate speech today. I also would like for someone to answer me: in a culture that was supposedly so openly gay/bisexual/pedestric why is it that so little literature has been found on such activities, suggesting that such practices were not as widely accepted as some modern "scholars" would like us to think.

The "probably bisexual" is interesting and reflects what is often the case in a society based on assumptions fed by a popular culture that thrives on innuendo and does not research the actual sources and facts for him/herself but depends on sixth sources to feed him/her the info....and yes I am talking about modern society here.

Oh and to the guy who is trying to steal Greek history again: you've got no case, give it up.  Alexander, Macedonia and Macedonians have always been Hellenes. Tongue

That said, I'd like to say that I've been reading the forums for a while now and quite enjoyed them. Guess this will be my first post on here. Hope I can contribute some interesting material as the material I have been reading on here so far. Smile

Posted By: bg_turk
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2006 at 20:17
welcome apro282

Posted By: Seömis of Arierep
Date Posted: 08-Jul-2006 at 17:40
I bet that Alexander liked from both...the chronicals say that and in ancient greece and ancient civilizations this is a thing well accepted and a thibg that show the status of the persons

-------------

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 06:17

It's likely that he was Homosexual and his children are the result of him wanting to carry on the lineage.

It is likely that you have never read any ancient source about Alexander therefore its not suprising your assertions are that ignorant.

As he afterwards contemplated the wealth and display of Darius, he was seized with admiration of such magnificence.  Hence it was that he first began to indulge in luxurious and splendid banquets, and fell in love with his captive Barsine for her beauty, by whom he had afterwards a son that he called Hercules.[
[Justin  9.10]

At any rate Alexander, so it seems, thought it more worthy of a king to subdue his own passions than to conquer his enemies, and so he never came near these women, nor did he associate with any other before his marriage, with the exception only of Barsine.  This woman, the widow of Memnon, the Greek mercenary commander, was captured at Damascus.  She had received a Greek education, was of a gentle disposition, and could claim royal descent, since her father was Artabazus who had married one of the Persian king’s daughters.  These qualities made Alexander the more willing – he was encouraged by Parmenio, so Aristobulus tells us – to form an attachment to a woman of such beauty and noble lineage. 

[Plutarch, Alexander]
He also held weddings at Susa for himself and for the Companions; he himself married Darius’ eldest daughter Barsine, and, as Aristobulus says, another wife as well, Parysatis, the youngest daughter of Ochus. He had already taken to wife Roxane, the daughter of Oxyartes the Bactrian. To Hephaestion he gave Drypetis, another daughter of Darius, sister to his own wife (for he desired Hephaestion’s children to be cousins of his own); to Craterus, Amastrine daughter of Oxyatres, Darius’ brother; to Perdiccas,  a daughter of Atropates, satrap of Media; to Ptolemy the bodyguard and Eumenes the royal secretary, the daughters of Artabazus, Artacama and Artonis respectively ; to Nearchus the daughter of Barsine and Mentor; to Seleucus the daughter of Spitamenes the Bactrian, and similarly to the other Companions the noblest daughters of Persians and Medes, numbering about eighty.

[Arrian 8.4.4- 8.4.8]

Note here we arent talking the Barsine, widow of Memnon. But Barsine, elsewhere found as Stateira.

For Alexander's first mistress in Asia, by whom he had his son Hercules, was Barsine the daughter of Artabazus; and in the distribution of the Persian ladies amongst his captains, Alexander gave Apame, one of his sisters, to Ptolemy, and another, also called Barsine, to Eumenes.

[Plutarch, Eumenes]

Soon after, Alexander assumed the attire of the Persian monarchs, as well as the diadem, which was unknown to the kings of Macedonia, as if he gave himself up to the customs of those whom be had conquered. And lest such innovations should be viewed with dislike, if adopted by himself alone, he desired his friends also to wear the long robe of gold and purple. That he might imitate the luxury too, as well as the dress of the Persians, he spent his nights among troops of the king’s concubines of eminent beauty and birth. To these extravagances he added vast magnificence in feasting; and lest his entertainments should seem jejune and parsimonious, he accompanied his banquets, according to the ostentation of the eastern monarchs, with games; being utterly unmindful that power is accustomed to be lost, not gained, by such practices.

[Justin, Book 12, part 3]

Then he put on the Persian diadem and dressed himself in the white robe and the Persian sash and everything else except the trousers and the long-sleeved upper garment.  He distributed to his companions cloaks with purple borders and dressed the horses in Persian harness. In addition to all this, he added concubines to his retinue in the manner of Dareius, in number not less than the days of the year and outstanding in beauty as selected from all the women of Asia.  [SIZE="3"]Each night these paraded about the couch of the king so that he might select the one with whom he would lie that night. Alexander, as a matter of fact, employed these customs rather sparingly and kept for the most part to his accustomed routine, not wishing to offend the Macedonians
[Diodorus Sic. XVII.77.5]

Pausanias was in love with his wife, Apelles with Alexander’s mistress, she was called Pancaste and came from Larisa.  She is said to have been the first woman Alexander slept with
[Aelian - Varia Historia, 12.34>
And yet Alexander conferred honour on him [Apelles] in a most conspicuous instance; he had such an admiration for the beauty of his favourite mistress named Pancaspe, , that he gave orders that she should be painted in the nude by Apelles, and then discovering that the artist while executing the commission had fallen in love with the woman, he presented her to him, great-minded as he was and still greater owing to his control of himself, and of a greatness proved by this action as much as by any other victory: because he conquered himself, and presented not only his bedmate but his affection also to the artist, and was not even influenced by regard for the feelings of his favourite in having been recently the mistress of a monarch and now belonged to a painter.

[Pliny, The Natural History]

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 22:27
Originally posted by Seömis of Arierep

I bet that Alexander liked from both...

The idea of Alexander "probably bisexual" or "sexual" relationships is interesting in the sense that it reflects what is often the case in a society based on assumptions fed by a popular culture that thrives on innuendo instead of actually searching out the main legit sources and reading them for ones self and not relying on sixth source information from people who obviously have have alternative motives for saying what they do. So the "may be he/they were" shows that for most part the "proof" is nonexistent and without proof one is talking mere fantasy and allowing such fantasy to go unchallenged is the indulgence of fools and mental vagrants....yes I am talking about modern society here.  Wink

Originally posted by Seömis of Arierep

the chronicals say that and in ancient greece and ancient civilizations this is a thing well accepted and a thibg that show the status of the persons

Those false ideas people hold are comforting but ultimately self-deluding views of the late twentieth century. Homosexuality existed in Greece, just as it has existed since the beginning of human history in all societies and cultures, but not while describing the mistranslated 'erastes- erwmenos' relationships. However, while it did exist in ancient Greece, it was never legally sanctioned, thought to be a cultural norm, and the risk of engaging in such activity was serious punishments such as exile and death. If a person was discovered to be a homosexual, he would either be executed or sent into exile.  The only way a homosexual would have been "accepted" in ancient Greek society is if he/she came out of the closet. In that case, he/she would be permitted to live under the law known as grafi etairisios, which basically means this individual would loose all his citizen rights and those caught breaking the prohibitions which grafi etairisios law tells them to follow, would be convicted and put to death. So basicaly if you were a homosexual who has gone public in ancient Greece, you didn't even exist. 

In antiquity they practices in pederasty was seen as an "educational institution" for the inculcation of moral and cultural values. Two very difference concepts of what people are trying to imply ancient view on homesexuality was. Such relations were not only practiced in Ancient Greece but ancient Rome and were well documented among other ancient peoples too, such as the the Celts and various Germanic peoples such the Heruli and the Taifali. As idealized by the ancient Greeks and Romans, pederasty was a relationship and bond–whether sexual or chaste–between an adolescent boy and an adult man outside of his immediate family, mostly practiced as you so rightfully stated among the elite in a society but differed from society to society and the relationships were not always physical.  The regular Greeks view on pederasty was usually degrading and made fun of. While there were Greek and Roman men engaged in relations with both women and boys, exceptions to the rule were known, some avoiding relations with women and others rejecting relations with boys.  But they never viewed homesexuality as being ok, acceptable or correct. There are instances of ancient Greeks who did not 'settle down' (i.e. Agathon) but they're thought of as being very odd by their fellow citizens and are often ridiculed, for example by Aristophanes. One element of ancient Greek society which is used to promote homosexuality in ancient Greece is the largery misqouted, mistranslated and misinterpreted quote which claim the Sacred band of Thebes. This is what the non-Greek translations of that quote says, and notice what word is used below and how it is mis-translated, either by accident or deliberately, into English:

"an army should be made up of lovers and their loves"
The original Greek text says:
"genesthai e stratopedon eraston te kai paidikon." ~Symposium 178e

For those who need translation: paidikon = pederasty and erastes can mean either friends or lovers. It becomes even more evident that this is an intentional mistranslation when we read only one line above, the phrase "abstaining from all dishonour". What is interesting with this whole subject is that the biggest supporters of homosexuality being openly accepted in ancient Greece is put forth by openly homosexual "academians" such as David Halperin, Gore Vidal, John Winkler, Jonathan Ned Katz, John Boswell and Michel Foucault. It was Walter Pater (1870's a poet and tutor) he and his band of "merries" that just out of a weird coincidence were all homosexuals, originally began this fiasco of a theory in Oxford. We find them introducing a totally new "theory", in which Platonic love has nothing to do with "phyche" but is totally based on phisical attraction. Later we find a list of wanna-be "historians" of Hellinic sexuality, see: Michel Foucault, John Boswell, John Winkler and David Halperin that were or are all homosexuals, strange coincidence once again [roll] striving to make some connection between homos and Hellinism. The reason, of course, is simple and I mention it above, similar to those of Eurocentrics and Afrocentrics. Ancient civilizations such as Greece's have always been viewed as a model of civilisation. So what better way to justify their lifestyles than by connecting it to one of greatest civilizations and thus legitimise same-sex? While today the words 'heterosexual', 'homosexual' and 'lesbianism', terms which again by some strange coincidence were coined after Pater and CO's fiasco of a theory, simply denote the sexual preference of an individual, the ancient Greeks while never had absolutely any kind of definition for 'heterosexuals'.. used the term 'kinaidos'.. in order to describe 'homosexuals' and their preference. Why this is of some interest/significance?  As it was said while the terms today simply define one's sexual preference, in ancient Greece the term 'kinaidos' was actually the word used and shows us what they believed.. as Epicletus has written 'the beginning of knowledge comes from the analysis of names'... so we have:

'kinaidos' = “he who “kinei thn aido” from
“kineo”= ” to move , to meddle with things sacred” and
“aidos” = “the personification of a conscience, of shame”

So in reality the very word's meaning in ancient Greek means 'he who provokes shame'... also keep in mind that 'Aidos' was a demi-Goddes always accompanied by Nemesis. Lets see what does the
 'academic' Foucault, a pioneer on ancient Greeks acceptance of homosexualty, says about this issue:

"Greek men, were bisexual and could, simultaneously or in turn, be enamoured of a boy or a girl. To their way of thinking, what made it possible to desire a man or a woman was simply the appetite that nature had implanted in man's heart for 'beautiful' human beings, whatever their sex might be". ( Uses of Pleasure (1984), Vl II, History of Sexuality)

Wow, well now there is some "unbiased" reporting for you.  Ermm Other "great" supporters of homosexuality being part of the "norm" of ancient Greece include one Kate Mortensen, who was a main speaker at the International Symposium on Ancient Macedonia in Thessaloniki. Its funny that the main stream English news outlets bring up the point Mortensen and her collegues were "hackled" during this event but fail to point out  why Mortensen and her crew were made fun of. The main reason is because when challenged to point out where in the original ancient Greek untranslated text does it say what they claim the text says, Mortensen and her crew admitted they could not even read the untranslated texts, never mind translate it. Very telling in my opinon, historians who are supposed to be taken as legit academics who can't even read the work they are suppose to be "experts" in? Yeah, some creditable sources they are.  Not sure whatever became of Mortensen, she is not heard much these days. Last I heard she was writting papers on breastfeeding, great use of her "classical" teaching there or lack off I might add.  Tongue

As for the "lesbian" 7th centry BC poetess Sappho, it should be pointed out that from all her works which have so far been found, only one has been found intact with many of her fragments in that book being translated into modern era, with translators filling in the gaps as to what she might have actually been writing, in essence modern translators were writing Sappho's poems for her. 

As for Plato, despite his suppose participance in such activities in his early life, in his later life Plato was among those who spoke up against the traditional Athenian pederasty and in his Laws dialogue he recommends prohibition on such activities ALL TOGETHER. Which is why I believe can all thank Plato for Christianity's homophobia where he associates such activities in The Laws as: "Shameful, Unclean and Unholy"; as he specifically states in the quote I posted above "Whether these matters are to be regarded as sport, or as earnest, we must not forget that this pleasure is held to have been granted by nature to male and female when conjoined for the work of procreation; the crime of male with male, or female with female, is an outrage on nature and a capital surrender to lust of pleasure." ~(Laws I 636a-d) 

Alot of what you would find in today's Christian philosophical concept is a fusion of Hebrew and Greek thought, the Greek derived from Hellenic philosophy of Epicureanism, Stoicism, Aristotelian and Platonic idealism. Plato was so influencial in Western culture that the term Platonic is in refrence to his works. Which is were such terms as Platonic love is derived from. The early christian fathers believed that to have converts during late Hellenistic times, specifically since Hellenistic culture remained dominant in the Eastern part of the Roman Empire, into the new faith, they needed to used elements which the people back then were familiar with. Henche where quite a bit of  ancient Hellenistic philosophical idealism comes into play and make their way into Christianity idealism.

"I maintain that our regulation on this head must go forward and proclaim that our citizens must not be worse than fowls and many other animals which are produced in large broods, and which live chaste and celibate lives without sexual intercourse until they arrive at the age for breeding; and when they reach this age they pair off, as instinct moves them, male with female and female with male;" (Plato Laws 8.840d)

"We might forcibly effect one of two things in this matter of sex-relations,--either that no one should venture to touch any of the noble and freeborn save his own wedded wife, nor sow any unholy and bastard seed in fornication, nor any unnatural and barren seed in sodomy,--or else we should entirely abolish love for males." (Plato Laws 8.841d b)

Sound familiar?  Stay celibate until you arrive of age; pair off male to female; sex with only your wedded spouse; do not have mindless sex or unnatural sex which he equals to sodomy...hmmm, lets see where did we hear that before? Wink

Ancient Greeks believed the "inhuman chaos of nature" and perceived human order as the triumph of the mind and culture over the brute forces of nature. Eros, is not "love" but "sexual desire." It is a representation of how sex attacks the mind and breaks man's will. Consequently, sexual attraction as madness is a theme that recurs throughout Greek literature. The ancient Greeks saw sex and violence as two sides of the same irrational coin.

For whatever their political modern views are, people seem to have this false misconception that in ancient Greece homosexuality was "accepted" when infact it was controversial and according to ancient Greek laws if you were deemed a homosexual you could loose your civil rights, be banished, or the worse of them all loose your life for it. "Pederasty" and homosexuality were two very different philosophical concepts to ancient Greeks, and that in itself was a complex issue which varied from city-state to city-state and colony to colony.  Aristophanes in his plays portrays homosexual characters as corrupt and decadence, check ou his comedy The Knights for examples of this. Also read Aeschine's speech Against Timarchus of 346 BCE, which is by far the longest text addressing homosexual behavior we have from the Classical Greek world and one of the few legal documents of the time which tells us the legal implications of a person being accused of the subject matter, in this case engaging in same sex, and what the general population views on it were. In short Timarchus takes Aeschine to court and charges him with treason. Aeschine counters by accusing Timarchus with "corruption" and one of the charges against Timarchus is homosexuality and prostitution.  According to Athenian law Timarchus forfeited his right to speak before the people and the court because of his corrupt acts. In the end Aeschine won the vote and Timarchus was barred from politics. So I find it pretty humorous that ancient Greece is used by some to promote whatever modern belief they might have, for or against homosexuality. One last thing to keep in mind: contrary to what some would like us to believe, of the inumerable quantity of writings, literature, plays and written records of daily life in ancient Greece and history of the civilization which the Greeks legated to posterity, only a minuscule 5% of writings make some mention about homosexuality. As for painted vases, out of all the thousands of ancient Greek painted vases that have so far been discovered, over 80,000 have been found in Attica alone,  only .02% have an overtly homosexual/bisexual theme on them. Pretty low percentage for a socieity that is so openly homosexual, don't ya think? Smile From the inconsequential evidence available only individuals with alternative motives would manufacture allegations of such an unsustainable nature. Given the narrow selection found of such activities, (i.e. pederasty/homosexual/bisexual) in literature and artifacts, it should be kept in perspective that there is no real reason to believe such activities were the "norm" or representative of ancient Greek society as a whole any more than media distrubution of modern pornography(child, same sex, etc.) indicate what is normal and accepted in modern times by the majority of the population. It should also be noted and kept in mind that homosexuals do have more rights and protection nowdays then they ever would have had living in ancient Greece.  Wink

Date Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 22:29
Originally posted by bg_turk

welcome apro282

Thank you, bg_turk, for the welcome.  Smile

Date Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 03:15
Originally posted by apro282

Very telling in my opinon, historians who are supposed to be taken as legit academics who can't even read the work they are suppose to be "experts" in? Yeah, some creditable sources they are.  Not sure whatever became of Mortensen, she is not heard much these days. Last I heard she was writting papers on breastfeeding, great use of her "classical" teaching there or lack off I might add.  Tongue

Clap

Very well said...So, I could besically approach one of those "Academics", give them a wrongly translated text that is desirable by them (and fits lets say my dogma) in order to support views and they would spread it like christianity.

It is interresting how people actually adapt only what sounds good in their ears and manage to miss other important and large pieces of information.

-------------

Posted By: Alkiviades
Date Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 05:51
Lots of misunderstandings there in apro282's post. just for the record, "grafi eteriosis" was certainly NOT an issue for homosexuals, but something aimed at Males that engaged in prostitution - male whores to say it bluntly. Absolutely nothing to do with wether the said prostitutes engaged in homo- or hetero- activities. What was punishable was whoring, not having affair with another male.

there are many more inconsistencies there, and I could point out those as well, if one asks.

Homoerotism was not banned in ancient Greece, far from it. At least in Athens and Thebes it wasn't (we know of some ban that existed in Sparta, though...). One might interprete the available data differently, and "prove" that there is no definite "yay" on homoerotism, but I think that would be a biased and inaccurate interpretation.

-------------
If you wanna play arrogant with me, you better have some very solid facts to back up that arrogance, or I'll tear you to pieces

Date Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 20:11
Originally posted by Alkiviades

Lots of misunderstandings there in apro282's post. just for the record, "grafi eteriosis" was certainly NOT an issue for homosexuals, but something aimed at Males that engaged in prostitution - male whores to say it bluntly. Absolutely nothing to do with wether the said prostitutes engaged in homo- or hetero- activities. What was punishable was whoring, not having affair with another male.

"Eteriosis" is derived from "etairos" which means companion, which is associated with the now mostly mistranslated "hetaires" = "whores" modern idea.  Infact in ancient Greece "hetaires" were described as companions not whores. I.E. the term "companion" being used to reffer to same-sex partner by some people.  If one reads Aeschynes 1.29 what he says is:

"h peporneumenos=prostitute, physin, h etairikos=companion"

"either prostitute or as a companion" (in other words: as a prostitute = peporneumenos/πεπορνευμένος or as a companion = etairikos....his beeyach Wink ) 

If the law was meant about selling ones body as a whore does the term that would have been used was "porne" from "pernimi".  The ancient Greek word "porne" derived from the ancient verb "pernimi" = "to sell", was first used during 7th century Greece to mean whore/prostitute/harlot.

Originally posted by Alkiviades

there are many more inconsistencies there, and I could point out those as well, if one asks.

Homoerotism was not banned in ancient Greece, far from it. At least in Athens and Thebes it wasn't (we know of some ban that existed in Sparta, though...). One might interprete the available data differently, and "prove" that there is no definite "yay" on homoerotism, but I think that would be a biased and inaccurate interpretation.

The biased and inaccurate interpretations have been made and started by people with their own agendas who have alternative motives to begin with, which is why I said intentional manipulation of historic facts to present some people modern ideologies in order to justify their personal believes by connecting it to what has always been perceived as a model for civilization is totally wrong. So the "they may have been" shows that for most part the "proof" is nonexistent and without proof one is talking mere fantasy and allowing such fantasy to go unchallenged is the indulgence of fools and mental vagrants. As a historian in this field said to me yesterday, since we were having the same discussion:  "Historians write about topics they are passionate about, and so often have their judgement colored by their biases about their topics. Often the historian is fulfilling an agenda rather than accurately portraying historical accounts."

The Thebean stragetic battle field has always been that the paidikon(young students) = (strength) who formed the front lines while the older (teacher) = (knowledge) formed the rear lines.  Gorgidas combined the young=strength with the old=knowledge to form an unbeatable "army of one" not some "army of lovers".  Anyone with military background can tell how unfeasible and stupid an "army of lovers" sounds. On the other hand it has proven time and again that when mixing knowledge with strength one can do amazing things.  Wink

Plus lets not forget that according to Greek mythology the origins of the negative impact "homosexuality" has on a person was in Thebes. Where one of their own brought destruction upon his family line and the citizens of Thebes by becoming the first "kinaidos".  Why would a people who's own mythology warned about the destruction such acts brought upon their citizens view "homosexuality" in a positive light? 

As far as the Spartans are concerned, no contemporary sources and no archaeological evidence points to support the wide spread assumption that pederasty was wide stread in Sparta.  Infact most of the best ancient sources on Sparta, such as Xenophon and Plutarch explicitly deny such activities.

Date Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 20:25
NO HE WAS NOT GAY.THAT IS MODERN MISCONCEPTION OF WHAT LOVE WAS IN ANCIENT GREECE.Dead

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 07:33
He was bisexual. His relationships with women and men are documented. The difference is that in ancient times no one cared if you liked members of your own gender. It was quite common especially in rome.  

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 23:37
Interesting article on the myth of homosexuality in Ancient Greece...

http://www.helleniclife.net/myth_of_homosexuality_in_anc.htm - http://www.helleniclife.net/myth_of_homosexuality_in_anc.htm

-------------

Posted By: HistoryGuy
Date Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 21:01
Does it really matter..LOL I mean as a bisexual, it doesn't matter on a person's sexual orientation.. It doesn't make him worse, even though he did do alot of horrible things in the past. But to some he did great things!Wink

-------------
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا Ú¯Ùته.

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 10:25
Originally posted by darkwolf

He was bisexual. His relationships with women and men are documented. The difference is that in ancient times no one cared if you liked members of your own gender. It was quite common especially in rome.  

Sorry, http://allempires.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=4302&FID=11 - darkwolf , but seriouly there is no evidence that Alexander was bisexual at all except from dubious writers taken from later on gossip.  The two main ancient sources which most scholars consider more crediable on Alexander, Arrian and Plutarch, do not mention any bisexual relationships of Alexander.  And even advocates who support this myth such as Lane and Renault admit when challenged that this just a theory based on later gossip from dubious writers and NOT on what the ancient sources, of whom most scholars consider more crediable, write about Alexander. 

Regarding the relationship between Alexander and Hephaiston:
"Later gossip claimed that Alexander had a love affair with Hephaiston, no contemporary history states this." ~Robin Lane Fox (The Search for Alexander, Little, Brown and Co. Boston, 1980, p. 261. )

Regarding the relationship between Alexander and Bagoas:
"Later gossip presumed that Bagoas was Alexander’s lover. This is uncertain." ~Robin Lane Fox (The Search for Alexander ~ Little, Brown and Co. Boston, 1980, p. 67.)

Bagoas and Alexander again:
"No historian states plainly whether they were physical lovers." ~ Mary Renault (The Nature of Alexander, Pantheon Books: New York, 1975, p. 47. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagoas_%28courtier%29 -  

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 04:18
In my opinion, Alexander The Great was bi, but there is also a possibility that he could have not been attracted to women at all.

Date Posted: 29-Aug-2006 at 10:59

Opinions, assumptions, might have, may have been, could have been, should have been, don't count for much other then theories and theories are not facts.  My opinion is that Kopi Annan might have some intelligent left in his empty head but that does not make it fact. Wink

Date Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 02:11
Originally posted by HistoryGuy

Does it really matter..LOL I mean as a bisexual, it doesn't matter on a person's sexual orientation.. It doesn't make him worse, even though he did do alot of horrible things in the past. But to some he did great things!Wink

I agree, because what really mattered was the fact that he conquered the world and died undefeated.

Posted By: IrishNation1
Date Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 16:36
How could such a long Debate rage over so Simple a thing???? ALEXANDER WAS BISEXUAL.   Everyone knows that. Him and more than Halfe all other Greeks as well. It was allowed back then(Not that its not now. But it was not Persecuted back then)

Date Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 16:47
Originally posted by IrishNation1

How could such a long Debate rage over so Simple a thing???? ALEXANDER WAS BISEXUAL.   Everyone knows that. Him and more than Halfe all other Greeks as well. It was allowed back then(Not that its not now. But it was not Persecuted back then)
Show me  then where you know that Alexander was bisexual? As and the others half Greeks dear IrishNation?

-------------

Posted By: Jeru
Date Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 10:41
Originally posted by JanusRook

I think just plain sexual would sum it up.

I mean from what I've read the guy probably got off in battle.

<in a figurative sense, like he enjoyed it too much>

I would advise you to read the first part of your signature carefully."Don't think, or say or believe, know!"

A friend of a friend who leaves next door to a man who is friends with a historian told me that Alexander is gay.Don't you believe me?Go ask my friend!By the way the movie was nice,but Troy was better!

Date Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 10:49
Originally posted by Jeru

A friend of a friend who leaves next door to a man who is friends with a historian told me that Alexander is gay.Don't you believe me?Go ask my friend!By the way the movie was nice,but Troy was better!

Big smileBig smileBig smileWink

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 12:31
Alexander son of Philip was
of Hellenic origin
a strategic Genius
a leader of men
a lowsy movie.

the above are proven facts - the rest about him being gay bi hi or sci fi are just speculations or rubbish spawn ..i can say Genghis Khan was gay,since at that age and time it was customary between mongols..Kemal ataturk as a friend of a friend of Jeru's friend who went to the army with a friend of mine claimes liked a stiffy now and then..hence the term OTHOMANIKO..

-------------

Posted By: Jeru
Date Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 15:54
Originally posted by Einherjarrr

Alexander son of Philip was
a strategic Genius
a leader of men.

This is what i'm intersted mostly,cause even if he was of different origin but still made these remarkable achievements,he would still be Great!His origins are for, the greeks to be proud of,and for the world's respect.

@einherjarrr

Do you know my friend?Wink

Date Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 14:58
aye..me knows urr friend..aye..wi wer mates im and ie..Approve

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 03:25

"Before Alexander, there were tribes, and after him, all was possible"

Posted By: Sokrates
Date Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 13:41
 Homo, Bi or Heterosexual , Alexander the Great is one of the most significant, if not the most significant, people in the whole history of mankind. Any deduction about the sexual orientation of a man that died more than 2000 years ago , are devoid of sense.

Date Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 00:49
Originally posted by Jeru

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL!!!!!

Posted By: maqsad
Date Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 16:18
Originally posted by Istor the Macedonian

Lets not forget how Greeks scultured woman's body. Look for Aphrodite of Melos in Louvre museum site. 

When compared to how they sculpted men's bodies it doesnt make a very big case though. I don't know if excercise was specifically reserved and encouraged for greek males and discouraged for greek females but it looks like most of the greek females in sculpture suffered from a severe lack of excercise and possibly a diet that was too high in sugars and cereals.

And another thing, was not homosexuality, or at least bisexuality actually encouraged in ancient sparta? Was it not encouraged for spartan warriors to take young boys as "apprentices" and have physical relations with them as part of the "male bonding" process or was this just a vicious rumor? An article on the spartans I read on wikipedia insisted on that and I admit I was a little bit disturbed to read that. Also it asserted that spartan men did not mind if their wives were impregnated with "studs" because their society was geared towards eugenics and survival and propagation of the fittest. Shocked

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 11:17
Originally posted by maqsad

Originally posted by Istor the Macedonian

And another thing, was not homosexuality, or at least bisexuality actually encouraged in ancient sparta? Was it not encouraged for spartan warriors to take young boys as "apprentices" and have physical relations with them as part of the "male bonding" process or was this just a vicious rumor? An article on the spartans I read on wikipedia insisted on that and I admit I was a little bit disturbed to read that.

No it wasn't, infact the exact opposite is true, and I wouldn't be using wiki, a site that anyone with fingers could edit, as a source of valuable information. I suggest actually reading Xenophon, Constitution of the Lacedaimonians 2.13  and Symposium (The Banquet) 8.70 which state clearly how wrong your assumptions above are.

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 19:41
Just some quotes i have collected that have to do with his sexuality.

As he afterwards contemplated the wealth and display of Darius, he was seized with admiration of such magnificence.  Hence it was that he first began to indulge in luxurious and splendid banquets, and fell in love with his captive Barsine for her beauty, by whom he had afterwards a son that he called Hercules.[
[Justin  9.10]

At any rate Alexander, so it seems, thought it more worthy of a king to subdue his own passions than to conquer his enemies, and so he never came near these women, nor did he associate with any other before his marriage, with the exception only of Barsine.  This woman, the widow of Memnon, the Greek mercenary commander, was captured at Damascus.  She had received a Greek education, was of a gentle disposition, and could claim royal descent, since her father was Artabazus who had married one of the Persian king’s daughters.  These qualities made Alexander the more willing – he was encouraged by Parmenio, so Aristobulus tells us – to form an attachment to a woman of such beauty and noble lineage. 

[Plutarch, Alexander]

He also held weddings at Susa for himself and for the Companions; he himself married Darius’ eldest daughter Barsine, and, as Aristobulus says, another wife as well, Parysatis, the youngest daughter of Ochus. He had already taken to wife Roxane, the daughter of Oxyartes the Bactrian. To Hephaestion he gave Drypetis, another daughter of Darius, sister to his own wife (for he desired Hephaestion’s children to be cousins of his own); to Craterus, Amastrine daughter of Oxyatres, Darius’ brother; to Perdiccas,  a daughter of Atropates, satrap of Media; to Ptolemy the bodyguard and Eumenes the royal secretary, the daughters of Artabazus, Artacama and Artonis respectively ; to Nearchus the daughter of Barsine and Mentor; to Seleucus the daughter of Spitamenes the Bactrian, and similarly to the other Companions the noblest daughters of Persians and Medes, numbering about eighty.

[Arrian 8.4.4- 8.4.8]

Note here we arent talking the Barsine, widow of Memnon. But Barsine, elsewhere found as Stateira.

For Alexander's first mistress in Asia, by whom he had his son Hercules, was Barsine the daughter of Artabazus; and in the distribution of the Persian ladies amongst his captains, Alexander gave Apame, one of his sisters, to Ptolemy, and another, also called Barsine, to Eumenes.

[Plutarch, Eumenes]

Soon after, Alexander assumed the attire of the Persian monarchs, as well as the diadem, which was unknown to the kings of Macedonia, as if he gave himself up to the customs of those whom be had conquered. And lest such innovations should be viewed with dislike, if adopted by himself alone, he desired his friends also to wear the long robe of gold and purple. That he might imitate the luxury too, as well as the dress of the Persians, he spent his nights among troops of the king’s concubines of eminent beauty and birth. To these extravagances he added vast magnificence in feasting; and lest his entertainments should seem jejune and parsimonious, he accompanied his banquets, according to the ostentation of the eastern monarchs, with games; being utterly unmindful that power is accustomed to be lost, not gained, by such practices.

[Justin, Book 12, part 3]

Then he put on the Persian diadem and dressed himself in the white robe and the Persian sash and everything else except the trousers and the long-sleeved upper garment.  He distributed to his companions cloaks with purple borders and dressed the horses in Persian harness. In addition to all this, he added concubines to his retinue in the manner of Dareius, in number not less than the days of the year and outstanding in beauty as selected from all the women of Asia.  [SIZE="3"]Each night these paraded about the couch of the king so that he might select the one with whom he would lie that night. Alexander, as a matter of fact, employed these customs rather sparingly and kept for the most part to his accustomed routine, not wishing to offend the Macedonians

[Diodorus Sic. XVII.77.5]

Pausanias was in love with his wife, Apelles with Alexander’s mistress, she was called Pancaste and came from Larisa.  She is said to have been the first woman Alexander slept with

[Aelian - Varia Historia, 12.34]

And yet Alexander conferred honour on him [Apelles] in a most conspicuous instance; he had such an admiration for the beauty of his favourite mistress named Pancaspe, , that he gave orders that she should be painted in the nude by Apelles, and then discovering that the artist while executing the commission had fallen in love with the woman, he presented her to him, great-minded as he was and still greater owing to his control of himself, and of a greatness proved by this action as much as by any other victory: because he conquered himself, and presented not only his bedmate but his affection also to the artist, and was not even influenced by regard for the feelings of his favourite in having been recently the mistress of a monarch and now belonged to a painter.

[Pliny, The Natural History]

Then the queen came with a group of ladies of noble birth who made libations from golden bowls.  The queen herself placed her little son at Alexander’s knees, and from him gained not only a pardon but also the restitution of her former status, for she retained the title of queen.  Some have held the belief that it was the queen’s beauty rather than Alexander’s compassionate nature that won her this,  and it is a fact that she subsequently bore a son who was named Alexander, whoever his father was.

[Curtius Rufus VIII,10,34]

For, passionate as this king was, he was in like measure self-controlled when it came to the observance of decency and the best form.  When, for example, he had taken captive the daughters of Darius and his wife as well, a woman of very distinguished beauty, he not only kept his hands off them, but he even refrained from letting them know that they were captives, and ordered that everything be done for them just as if Darius were still king.  Therefore Darius on learning this, raised his arms and prayed to the Sun that either he or Alexander might be king.

[Athenaeus: Deipnosophists XIII]

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 00:19
Originally posted by Sokrates

Homo, Bi or Heterosexual , Alexander the Great is one of the most significant, if not the most significant, people in the whole history of mankind. Any deduction about the sexual orientation of a man that died more than 2000 years ago , are devoid of sense.

I agree with you 100%, and my quote was from Ptolemy l of Egypt.

Posted By: Sirona
Date Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 09:36
Ancient and contemporary sexual practices and identities are really very different and to judge Alexander by today's standards is therefore not very correct. He was bisexual, from what we can make out from the sources, but this was a common sexual practice back then, and not only amongst Ancient Greeks but some other ancient groups too.

Besides that, I agree that his sexuality is quite besides the point considering what his role in history was. His importance isn't linked to his sexual preference at all.

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 14:14
For those that beleive that Alexander was homosexual,gay, bi or any sexual relative did have to present us any linguistic or historical fact ?

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 14:41
Here's a brief article by Dr. Jeanne Reames-Zimmerman, with references to Arrian and Curtius.

http://pothos.org/alexander.asp?paraID=42 - http://pothos.org/alexander.asp?paraID=42

In addition, I am taking a class in Alexander this semester, and this issue came up in the beginning of the semester as it is to be expected and the professor's explanation (as a Greek historian) was along the same lines with the article I linked to. I did not find the link through my class resources, but while doing a quick search on references to the subject.

I believe we are all aware of the eastes-eromenos concept.

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 15:01
Sirona if your post is an answer in my question I think that your link is clearly as about Alexander sexuality.

No. I say no, not because he had no relationships with men and boys but because our term "homosexual" and "gay" are inappropriate terms for antiquity

There is not any quote or reference  from any ancient writer regarding the supposing Alexander's homosexuality. This is myth that built in the last quorter of the 20th cent from the modern writers.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 16:05
Akritas, as I said, I am not arguing that Alexander was gay or homosexual, he was not. And in any case, these are modern terms. However, bisexuality was common in the ancient world and you are not doubting that, I believe? That's why I mentioned the erotas-eromenos concept.

I don't think we will never know for sure as the people in question have been dead for over two millenia, but Alexander's relationship with Hephaeistion and later the Persian courtier were documented (not documented in the sense of an erotic tale, but the nature of the relationship.)

I am not a Greek history scholar, I'm only doing a minor in history (I am studying in Greece, by the way) but I can ask for exact sources from my professor who is Greek, and a history professor concentrated in ancient Greek history. As for the 20th century invention comment, in fact, no, it has been discussed much earlier but has been more of a "hot" topic in the 20th century what with the gender issues and everything. But like I said before, I don't think Alexander's sexuality really matters in terms of his historical role.

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 19:14
Originally posted by Sirona

Akritas, as I said, I am not arguing that Alexander was gay or homosexual, he was not. And in any case, these are modern terms. However, bisexuality was common in the ancient world and you are not doubting that, I believe? That's why I mentioned the erotas-eromenos concept.

I don't think we will never know for sure as the people in question have been dead for over two millenia, but Alexander's relationship with Hephaeistion and later the Persian courtier were documented (not documented in the sense of an erotic tale, but the nature of the relationship.)

I am not a Greek history scholar, I'm only doing a minor in history (I am studying in Greece, by the way) but I can ask for exact sources from my professor who is Greek, and a history professor concentrated in ancient Greek history. As for the 20th century invention comment, in fact, no, it has been discussed much earlier but has been more of a "hot" topic in the 20th century what with the gender issues and everything. But like I said before, I don't think Alexander's sexuality really matters in terms of his historical role.

Sinora you are totally wrong in believing that  bisexuality was common in ancient Greece and your "history professor" is basing most of that BS info on modern interpetations views put forth by 19th century "scholars", who they themselves were openly Gay/Bisexual, and Dover, and anyone who is familiar with Dover will tell you his info is tented with bias. 

Akiras, to answer your question, no there isn't any ancient text which say this to be true.  What people seem to fail in understanding is the concepts of "eros" in ancient Greece is not what some modern individuals think it to be.  The following is a post which was posted by another poster in a message board and the person who wrote it is very well informed and knowledgable in ancient Greek society:

"Philip, I don’t get what exactly your question means (I guess it is due to my poor command of the English language, even though my good friend Apro tells you otherwise ). But if you ask me if the Spartan law allowed homosexuality or encouraged it in any way, my answer is “NO”, plainly because there isn’t evidence for that, on the contrary various ancient Greek sources/writers (who are not Spartan themselves) tell us exactly the opposite. For instance:

Aristotle the great philosopher, writes that the Spartans are people who don’t appreciate homosexuality and don’t practise sodomy, as opposed to some other people.
Xenophon, the famous Athenian historian and philosopher, in his historical piece of writing called “Lacedaemonians’ Politeia/Country”, reports that Lycurgus (the great Spartan legislator and founder of Sparta’s law) praised as the most worthwhile form of education the admiration of a virtuous man for the soul of a child and his endeavor to shape that child/boy into a good fellow-warrior, so that he could live well in his companionship. Conversely, Lycurgus considered any kind of carnal passion for the body of a child/boy to be a great source of shame.
Plutarch the biographer also confirms the aforementioned about Lycurgus and the Spartan law.
Given also that the Spartans were people who deeply respected their law (it was obeying their law that they fell to the last man fighting bravely a lost battle at Thermopylae :-)), it is quite unlikely that homosexuality/pederasty was the common practice of the Spartan society, as it is claimed today by some non-Greek scholars who misinterpret the institution of “pederasty” in ancient Sparta. Is it the problem that they are not Greek themselves, or that the present-day thought is so mistrustful of customs which brought men so close to their fellow men in a very ancient, so distant society?

As an aside here, let me mention what was the exact meaning of the ancient Greek word ”eros” and its derivatives, so that you be able to understand more easily what the institution of “pederasty“ was in ancient Sparta:

In ancient Greece, Eros, i.e. the little winged God who was Aphrodite’s son, was the incarnation of love. According to the ancient Greeks (as in the famous work by Plato, the Symposium, it is reported) there are two kinds of love: the first has to do with the satisfying of our fleshy desires (sex), while the second aims at the good of the person that someone loves, that is at his or her moral perfection. So the ancient word “eros” has a double meaning, and when I write it without quotation marks (eros) it will denote the first kind of love whose purpose is the sensual or carnal pleasure, but when I write it with quotation marks (“eros”) it will denote the second kind of “love” mentioned above. That kind of “eros” is the one about which I’ll talk from now on.

“Eros” is connected with the ancient Greek verb “ero”, which means neither “I love” nor “I’m in love”, but “I long for, I yearn”, i.e. “I’m continually seeking through my soul for whatever I’m lacking”. A psychic need was contained within this verb, which sought a deeper satisfaction. When I “ero” somebody/something, I am an “erastes” of him/it, which means I’m a “lover” of him/it but not in the sense of the “sexual partner” but in the sense of the “admirer/worshipper”. So someone can be an “erastes”/”lover” of wisdom and valor for instance, which means that he never gives up searching for these virtues because he’s an admirer of them and he longs for them. Another paradigm is that of the great philosopher Socrates, who presented himself as an “erastes”/”lover” to his students, because through the cultivation of their souls he aimed at their moral perfection, i.e. at the beauty of their souls. And “eros” always turns towards the beautiful, as the flower turns towards the sun (i.e. the human soul always longs for the beautiful). From the aforementioned it is obvious that there could be “eros” between two individuals without any bodily contact. This is also known as “Platonic eros”, and sensual or carnal pleasure is not its purpose because it can never fulfill us as individuals, and because we gain it by exploiting in some way the beloved person (“eromenos” in ancient Greek), who is thus diminished in this manner.

Sorry if all the aforementioned sound scholarly and boring, but “pederasty” in ancient Sparta is directly related to the concept of “eros” which I’ve just analyzed. As I mentioned above, “eros” which has nothing to do with fleshy desires and carnal pleasure always turns to the beautiful (i.e. the human soul always longs for the beautiful). The ancient Greeks have always been “erastes”/“lovers” of measure/moderation, harmony and beauty. The beautiful was worthy of every form of admiration, respect and honor by the ancient Greeks. For instance, the beautiful, healthy and harmonious human body (as the ancient Greeks immortalized it in statues and sculptures of unique beauty), whether it belong to a man or a woman, was an object of admiration. And since the beauty is first and foremost a characteristic of youth, let us examine the so-called “pederasty” in ancient Sparta:

While the word pederasty in all languages means an erotic perversion, in classical antiquity it was also used in the sense of a pedagogical institution, based on the pure and disinterested “love” of boys, i.e. on the concept of “eros” as I analyzed it above, and not on homosexual relations with them. That pedagogical institution was used not only in ancient Sparta but also in ancient (classical) Athens to some extent, only that in Sparta it was officially enacted by the city-state. From now on when I speak of that ancient pedagogical institution I’ll use the word with quotation marks (“pederasty”), in contradistinction to pederasty without quotation marks, which will mean what we all mean today by this word (i.e. a man who has sex with a boy).

Back to ancient Sparta, the so-called “pederasty” was (at least from the 6th to the 4th century BC) a part of the obligatory education of all the little male Spartans, which was called ”agogH”. The suitable age for adolescents to receive this education (i.e. the “pederasty”) was thought to be from twelve to eighteen. At that age they could be assigned to an adult man as their companion, who in agreement with the customs had to be over twenty years of age. So it was very good fortune and an honor for a boy when a citizen who enjoyed general public esteem, took him under his wing. Conversely, it was shameful for a boy if he did not have the honor of such a friendship. This relationship was also marked by the consent of the boy’s father, who felt proud when a worthy man chose his son. This custom/institution of “pederasty” had its roots in Doric practices (the Spartans belonged to the Doric tribe). The Dorians, just like the Spartans, were warlike people, and they introduced the custom of “pederasty” because the men lived in army camps and by the very nature of things the older men became the teachers and guides of the future warriors/soldiers.

In such a “pederastic” relationship, the adult man was the “erastes”/”lover” of the boy (“paedikon”), a “lover” not in the sense of the “sexual partner” but in the sense I have analyzed it above. That is, the “lover” felt admiration for a beautiful young boy who selected to teach/train, and that admiration for the beauty of the boy (both, the beauty of its body and its soul) was the main stimulus for the man to proceed with the selection of that boy whose inner world he wished to mould so as to make him into the proper/good (“kalos kagathos”) man. The “lover” had with the boy ceaseless discussions, which dealt with a great range of subjects. Through these discussions the man tried to inspire the youth with moral values, such as obedience to the laws, the ways of proper behavior, nobility and ethos, so that he would become a courageous and moral man. The adolescent in his turn had to respect his mentor, and deeply esteem him and to show by his behavior how obliged he was to him.

Such a “pederastic” relationship was a “love” on a psychic level, a spiritual bond, “eros” without the accompaniment of Aphrodite as the ancient Greeks said, i.e. “eros” without any bodily love/sexual intercourse. In fact, as I have already mentioned, Lycurgus and the Spartan law forbade pederasty as we mean it today (i.e. the pederasty which includes sexual intercourse), considered it to be a punishable offense and the courts rigorously persecuted it. It was strictly forbidden for the adolescent to assume any posture that facilitated contact with the backside or introduction of the male member into any part of his body, and play in this way the role of a woman (i.e. the role of a carnal object). That would be humiliating, since women were reckoned to be second class/inferior than men beings back then. The young boy was destined to become a citizen, and as a future citizen should not be dishonored in that way. It would be debasing for the adolescent to find himself in the passive position of humiliation and submission. Just how disgraceful they considered this to be is shown for instance by a representation on a ancient red-figured vase. This representation depicts a Persian in a posture which is declared by the inscription underneath: “I am Evrymedon. I have submitted myself”. Behind him there can be seen an arriving Greek, gesturing with his genitals in such a way there can be no doubt as to his intentions. This vase, painted after the victory of the Greeks against the Persians, triumphantly proclaims (just like some people would do today when their team wins at football/basketball ): ”We scre*wed the Persians!”

From the aforementioned it is obvious that –as opposed to what many people think today– “pederasty” in ancient Sparta was not male homosexuality, but the primary method of raising the male youth. It was considered to be an important pedagogical factor/institution, which, examined from a moral point of view, had its own special character that was maintained on an aesthetic, religious and educational basis. Its purpose was the maintenance of institutions, and the elevation of social and personal virtue with the assistance of the city-state. This ethic that was built up around “eros” in relationships between men with virtue as their aim, was the source of great valor and the secret of male friendship. As difficult as it is to understand today, this “love” had nothing humiliating, corrupting or effeminate about it. It was the force that gave rise to heroism and directed valor to remarkable heights. Because “eros” lends a divine spirit and makes men braver, and furthermore it is the best way to maintain the line of battle. And indeed, the salvation and victory of the warriors lay in their friendship which formed the line. A brilliant proof of this assertion concerning this particular form of male behavior was the so-called Sacred Band of Thebes. They were called “the company of ‘lovers’”, many times sarcastically by those who were envious of the rise of Thebes to power. Just like the Spartans, they were reckoned to be great warriors/soldiers, and they showed at the battlefield the great valor and self-sacrifice of the Spartans: in the battle of Chaeroneia, for instance, the soldiers of the Sacred Band of Thebes fell to the last man (just like the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae) fighting bravely against the Macedonian king Philip B’. Deeply moved by their great valor, the victorious king Philip said: ”A curse on those who have treacherously hinted that such men could have done or accepted anything vile”

Since it is not my intention to show any form of bias, let me also add that (even though there isn’t sufficient evidence for that) we can’t exclude the possibility that there were indeed some homosexual relationships between men in ancient Sparta. Sexual deviations have existed in all places and in all eras, and ancient Sparta/Greece shouldn’t be excluded from this rule. Furthermore, let me also add that anything that occurs between two people that is completely consensual is a personal matter - and respected. But if such male homosexual relationships existed indeed, they constituted by no means the rule, and they didn’t characterize the ancient Spartan society, as I have already argued. In other words, ancient Sparta (/Greece) is by no means the cradle of perversion, as many people tend to reckon her today! "
~mvarda

Posted By: Hellios
Date Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 23:33
Alexander was Bi.
Oliver Stone made a film called "Alexander's Sex Life".
What do his sexual preferences have to do with his other historical achievements?
Back then bisexuality was something less politically sensitive.
Some radical Spartan militarists used bisexuality to make the warriors actually "love" each other so they would be even more willing to die for each other in battle, but these same soldiers were then encouraged & expected to eventually marry and raise a family.  The Spartans clearly went through too many extremes in their quests for military perfection.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 23:50
Originally posted by Hellios

Alexander was bi.  Oliver Stone made a film called "Alexander's Sex Life".  What does sexual preferences have to do with his other historical achievements though?  Anyhow, maybe back then homosexuality was seen as something less politically sensitive?  Maybe he was also a pioneer in gay rights LOL?

Alexander was "bi" and the Easter Bunny is Pink and comes down a chimney.   And while you are believing that I also have a bridge to sell you in Brookline and a Moon ride to outerspace. LOL

While I'm quoting mvarda's great posts, here is another interesting one

Mvarda replying to this post: 'Spartans were opressors yah ... sparta killed spartan babies/children who were week physcilly and mentally ... killed slaves/helots who were strong--so the spartans were just as brutal to their own kind as the helots. the Nazis were about genocide, they thought they were already superior whereas the spartans trid to keep/make that superiority.'

"Unfortunately there is a myth today about ancient Sparta, which has been gradually constructed since the second half of the 17th century AC, when various totalitarian ideologies/regimes (even racist ones such as that of Hitler) claimed that they were patterned upon the Spartan way of life/principles/ideal. As a result the most people today (even historians/researchers among them) have a stereotype view of the Spartans which has nothing to do with historical actuality. A part and parcel of this myth is the alleged “unprecedented/unique” cruelty of the Spartans, who were throwing down from Kaeadas (a chasm of Taygetus mountain) deformed newborn babies, haunted by the ideal of a superior race (i.e. something like the Nazis :-)) First, it is evidenced from both, ancient sources/texts and archaeological findings too, that the Spartans threw down from Kaeadas not babies but only either adult alive convicts condemned to death or their dead bodies. This was a practice common to many other ancient Greek cities-states, too. In Athens for instance, they threw their own convicts down from the northwest side of the Acropolis. The Spartans actually exposed deformed babies in places called “Apothetes” (the verb “apotheto” in Greek means “lay/put something down in a specific place”). The Apothetes were places such as a temple, a house, a cave, a forest or a chasm. No ancient text identifies the Apothetes with Kaeadas chasm. On the contrary from the 17th century AC and on, the texts about ancient Sparta take to identifying arbitrarily the Apothetes with Kaeadas, which is a distortion of historical actuality. Second, it is also evidenced that the exposure of deformed babies wasn’t a particularity of the Spartan society but A COMMON PRACTICE all over the ancient Greek world. The monstrous baby caused the community fear (any community, not only the Spartan community) and it was undesirable by everybody, so it was abandoned/exposed. I know that this strikes us as extremely cruel in the light of our modern/Christian morality. But we should keep in mind that we talk about societies of a radically different era, during which the whole known world in general was more rough than it is today (theoretically at least ). Third, actually in other Greek cities-states (as opposed to ancient Sparta) were exposed not only deformed babies but healthy/able-bodied babies, as well. Please note that the exposure of able-bodied babies, which the father wouldn’t own as his legitimate children or wouldn’t like/couldn’t afford to bring up (due to social/financial reasons), was a custom wide spread over the Greek world and constantly increasing, until the Byzantine times that emperor Ioustinianos (527-565 AC) forbade it on the penalty of death. Back to antiquity, in the city-state of Athens for instance, a father would initially own the newborn baby as his. Then, in order to become an Athenian citizen, the baby had to be accepted as a member of the “fratria” of the father. (The city-state of Athens included 4 Ionian “fyles”, i.e. 4 tribes, and each tribe included a number of fratrias. Each fratria consisted of kindred groups of people who had a common ancestor). Thus during the Athenian feast called “Apatouria” the father would present his newborn baby to his fratria and would ask to be enrolled as a member of the fratria. If the baby was deformed it was not accepted and thus it was exposed (just like in Sparta). But even in the case that it was an able-bodied baby, if someone doubted the legitimacy of the child (i.e. if someone claimed that one of the parents was not an Athenian) and managed to persuade and the others, then the baby wasn’t accepted as an Athenian citizen and it was inevitably exposed, too. The same happened in other Greek city-states, as well. Similarly in Sparta a father would initially own the newborn baby as his. Then the father had to present the baby to his “fylH” (i.e. to his tribe) in order to be accepted as a member of the tribe, so that to be able to participate in the training called “agogH” and become someday a “homoios”, i.e. a Spartan citizen with full civic rights. If the baby was deformed it was exposed, just like in Athens and various other Greek cities-states. But in Sparta -as opposed to other Greek cities- an able-bodied baby was never exposed if someone doubted its legitimacy, because in Sparta there were enacted social classes such as the “perioikoi” and the “helotes” in which the able-bodied baby was always accepted. Thus in Sparta such children could remain members of the paternal family/house, without being intended for becoming “homoioi” someday. From the aforementioned it is obvious that the custom of exposure was actually in Sparta MILDER than it was in other Greek cities. Fourth, only after 1700 AC the Spartan practice (in relation with babies) is isolated from the widespread all over the ancient Greek world custom of exposure of babies and it is characterized as a savage and ruthless action dictated by “eugenism” (i.e. by the longing for the creation of a superior race). On the contrary ANYONE of those much later views (frequent in texts after 1700 AC) about the Spartans’ alleged particularity or savagery with regard to babies ISN’T REPORTED IN ANCIENT TEXTS. This means that the ancient Greeks didn’t reckon the attitude of the Spartans towards babies unusual, extreme or reprehensible (as we tend to reckon it today). Conclusively, the exposure of deformed (and not only deformed) babies was a common practice in the ancient Greek world, and in Sparta in particular it wasn't motivated by the creation of a superior Spartan race, as some contemporary researchers claim. The alleged “unprecedented/unique” cruelty of the Spartans towards babies is a myth constructed in our modern times (after 1700 AC) within the framework of our modern ethics. Another part and parcel of the modern Spartan myth is the maltreatment of the helotes by the homoioi, which supposedly caused the hatred of the helotes towards the homoioi and vice versa the homoioi’s fear of the helotes and had as a consequence the idiosyncratic constitution of the Spartan society. The aforementioned also belong to a great extent in the sphere of hyperbole. I could analyze that more extensively, but it would took me ages to construct a brief account of the existed evidence and translate it into English, so I'm finishing this post at this point."

~mvarda

Posted By: Batu
Date Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 11:05
homosexual relationships were common in greece those times right?

-------------
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )

Date Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 11:48
Originally posted by Batu

What supposed to do with the thread if your provocated quote is truth  ?

-------------

Posted By: Vivek Sharma
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 01:12
What does it matter if he was something or not now. He would still be great.

-------------
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn

Posted By: Brainstorm
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 07:37
Originally posted by Batu

Homosexual relationships exist in every culture.
More or less 10%-11% of male population had some kind of homosexual experience. (4% gay ,other bisexual)

The only thing that changes , is how acceptable are these relationships in every society-and this is usually in analogy of how free and progressive is this society.
As for ancient Greece,we cannot judge it as a whole,but always express an opinion about an exact period and exact area.

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 23:28
The concept that gay behavoir is a sin comes from Jewish culture and religion.

Christianity was the one that spread it when tried to change the decadent mentality that existed at the end of the Antiquity and the decline of the Middle Ages. Now, it seems Barbarians and Christians agreed in the topic homosexuality was a sin, or at least a disgusting activity.

Greeks on this topic, and many others are closer to the ancient oriental mentality. Greeks and Romans have lots of homosexuals in theirs ranks, phylosophers included. Arabs of the times of Harun Al-Rachid were also quite tolerant to that behavoir.

Today's gays should take the time machine and leave for those times LOL

Intollerance has been particularly strong in both Catholic and Protestant countries up to recent times. In Catholic countries is still a widespread notion that gays are defective people, like handicaped; abnormal people, anyways. And it is still believed gay relations is an activity against nature.
Killings of gays, particularly travesties, are relatively common in Latin America, for instance.

Pinguin

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com