Print Page | Close Window

How many Presidents have our country had?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: General World History
Forum Discription: All aspects of world history, especially topics that span across many regions or periods
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7308
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 03:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: How many Presidents have our country had?
Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Subject: How many Presidents have our country had?
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 18:32
Mexico had 2 Emperors, 2 Junta de Notables ( Convention, Triunvirates, etc ) and 60 Presidents.

The shortest term Pedro Lascuarin ( 45 minutes ) and the longest period was Porfirio Diaz ( 31 years ). The President that occupied the Office more times was Santa Anna ( 11 times in an esporadic way ).

The President that was the power behind the power was Plutarco Elias Calles. His period ended in 1928. Instead of trying to modify the consitution and unleash another revolution, he choosed to his sucessor and the sucessor of him ( 1928 to 1934 ). Till he was exiled by Lazaro Cardenas. No sons of a president has been elected as president before.

On 1829 we had 3 presidents and 1 triunvirate. In 1855, we had 5 presidents in the same year.

From 1862 to 1867, we had a President, 1 Emperor and 1 Junta de Notables trying to run the country at the same time.

3 presidents were from my state:

Justo Corro, Valentin Gomez Farias and Victoriano Huerta.

Here's a link with the chronology:

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/history/presidents.html - http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/history/presidents.html

Replies:
Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 18:54
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

The shortest term Pedro Lascuarin ( 45 minutes )

I don't know which is the exact ethimology of Lascuarin, obviously a Basque surname... but the last part of the name, arin, means hurry.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 19:16
Shouldn't it be spelt Lascurin?

anyway
we didn't have any presidents. Since 1815 we've had three kings, three queens and one regentess. Also we've been ruled by a Reichskommisar for 5 years (guess when). The monarch that ruled for the longest time was Wilhelmina (58 years), and William II ruled for the shortest time (8 years).

Since the constitution of 1848 we've had 42 prime ministers. The longest ruling prime minister ruled for 12 years (Ruud Lubbers) the shortest for 2 months (Schimmelpennick, he was also the first PM). The shortest lasting coalition was only 3 years ago, it collapsed after 86 days.

Before 1815 we've been ruled by a sovereign prince (1813-1815, the later king William III), the French (1810-1813), King Louis Napoleon (1806-1810) and by a chaotic revolutionary republic (1795-1806).

Before 1795 the Netherlands was the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands (founded in 1581 if I'm not mistaken). The number of rulers (stadhouders) from that Republic is very difficult to count since not all provinces had the same stadhouder.

-------------

Posted By: Murph
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 19:30

America has had 42 or 43 presidents, depending on how you count. george w. bush is generally considered the 43rd president, but Grover Cleveland was president twice for nonconsecutive terms, so he is considered both the 22st and 24rd presidents.

keeping with Jalisco's example, i suppose the shortest term president was William Henry Harrison, whoserved a month in office before succumbing to pneumonia, which he caught because he insisted on giving an a 2 hour inauguration address in the freezing cold (to prove that he was intelligent enough to deliver a speech).

and the longest serving was Franklin Delano Roosevelt, president for just over 12 years before also dying in office.

in terms of family dynasties, there have been two father-son presidencies, John Adams and John Quincy Adams, and George HW Bush/George W Bush. Benjamin Harrison was the grandson of William Henry Harrison. FDR and Teddy Roosevelt were fairly distant relatives, 5th cousins.

theres hasnt been as much "drama" as there's been in mexico, no multiple rulers/overthrows or anything like that...kind of boring. Four presidents have been assasinated, Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, JFK. another three have died while in office (WH Harrison, Taylor, FDR), and 1 has resigned (Nixon)

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 21:46
theres hasnt been as much "drama" as there's been in mexico, no multiple rulers/overthrows or anything like that...kind of boring

Well, there were also presidents of the articles of confederations and the Confederate States. The U.S. also had an Emperor who resided in San Francisco.

-------------

Posted By: Mila
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 02:38
Bosnia didn't have a 'President' until 1992. But since then we've had three simultaneously, and they rotate quite often between elections, trips to the Hague, and dismissals by the UN High Representative.

So we're probably breaking 30 about now. lol

-------------
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">

Posted By: Raider
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 02:57

Hungary had 7 or 8 presidents.

It depends how you categorized Lajos Kossuth. In 1849 after the dethronization of the Habsburgs the form of state remained unspecified. Kossuth acted as regent-president.

During the first republic (1918-1919) there was only one president.

During the second republic (1946-50) there were two of them.

In The today third republic (1989-) we have had 4 presidents.

(In the time of the Soviet Republic and communist People's Republic there were no presidents. Chairmen of the Presidental Council do not count.)

Posted By: Raider
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 02:58
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

theres hasnt been as much "drama" as there's been in mexico, no multiple rulers/overthrows or anything like that...kind of boring

Well, there were also presidents of the articles of confederations and the Confederate States. The U.S. also had an Emperor who resided in San Francisco.
An Emperor of the United States??? Who was he?

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 03:40

UAE is a new country

the current president is the 2nd one

1- Sheikh Zayed ( my avater )  1971-2004

2- Sheikh Khalifa    2004-

but if you go by the sheikhdoms before the union of the emirates they will go far back till the 1400s.

-------------

Posted By: OSMANLI
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 03:43

TRNC has had the grand total of 2!!!

President Rauf Denktas

and

President Mehmet Ali Talat

^check it out, they look the same>

-------------

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 05:16
Armenia first became a sovereign state in 585 B.C., but we are currently under the term of our 2nd president, Robert Kocharian. I cant wait for the 3rd one to show up. The economy grew very much under Kocharian (10% in 2004, and the same growth rate is expected in 2005), but many are skeptical as to who gained the most from that growth.

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: sedamoun
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 05:38

Sweden: we don't have Presidents, we have Prime Ministers (Constitutional Monarchy). Today:

Gran Person - Prime Minister:

The King: Kung Karl den XVl Gustav

-------------

Posted By: Mila
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 09:04
From a Bosniak perspective, our most notable President is probably...

"This city, our beloved Sarajevo, represented everything the aggressors despised, everything they wished to destroy: Bosniaks, Bosnian Croats, Bosnian Serbs, Jews, Roma, as well as other minorities living together in peace as we have done for centuries. The paradise we made, together, contradicted everything the aggressors believed in. Sarajevo contradicted  their fascist ideals and that, my children, is the reason they slaughtered us. But, more importantly, that is also the reason why we shall rebuild! Our revenge shall be to rebuild our libraries, hospitals, and schools and to be, once again, something that is beautiful and good!"
- Alija Izetbegovic, 1995

But he up and left us.

-------------
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 09:27
No sissy president, but 127* kings and 3 queens.

*depends on how many of the first saga-kings you count...

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 14:05
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Shouldn't it be spelt Lascurin?

Yes, that seems a more common name. Spanish spelling anyhow, Basque speling would be Laskurain. But its was funnier with the -arin ending.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Frederick Roger
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 15:32

How many Presidents have had your country ?

Way more than we deserved.

-------------

Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 17:23

France had it all:consuls, dictators, kings, emperors and presidents.

We had 29 presidents, the presidents of the first republic are not recognised by the monarchists bums of the time, but I'll include Robespierre as the greatest of all.

-------------

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 19:39
An Emperor of the United States??? Who was he?

He was called Emperor Norton. He didn't have any real power, but everyone thought he was a cool guy so they allowed him to call himself Emperor. He wrote:

At the pre-emptory request of a large majority of the citizens of these United States, I Joshua Norton, formerly of Algoa Bay, Cape of Good Hope, and now for the last nine years and ten months past of San Francisco, California, declare and proclaim myself the Emperor of These United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_A._Norton

-------------

Posted By: Artaxiad
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 21:17

Canada has Prime Ministers instead of Presidents. Paul Martin is the 21st Prime Minister of Canada.

http://www.primeministers.ca/ - http://www.primeministers.ca/

Armenia first became a sovereign state in 585 B.C., but we are currently under the term of our 2nd president, Robert Kocharian. I cant wait for the 3rd one to show up. The economy grew very much under Kocharian (10% in 2004, and the same growth rate is expected in 2005), but many are skeptical as to who gained the most from that growth.

I'm fairly sure that the opposition would have been more corrupted that the current government.

-------------

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 03:15
Originally posted by Artaxiad

I'm fairly sure that the opposition would have been more corrupted that the current government.

Ya i know what you mean. If its not a mafia-style government like it is now, its gonna be some kind of pseudo-Soviet government. You have to remember that Armenia also has a lot of money going into it due to our huge diaspora. So without their help that 10% increase in economic growth wouldnt even be remotely possible. The country is in horrible shape, but every year that passes, the country looks more advanced (at least Yerevan does). Gonna be a while until the whole country is brought up to par to decent living conditions, though (around 20% unemployment right now ). Hopefully by the time we're old men, we could see Armenia as an average country on the global level. Theres a lot of crooks there though, man. You have to go there to see it. Hang out in front of Hotel Armenia in Yerevan Republican Square, and youll see the mafia members with their bodygaurds and Mercedes cars, while EVERYONE else has Soviet-era cars. Its a shame how people can live so good in a country where most people can barely meet day-to-day expenses.

I was hanging outside of the hotel with my buddies this past summer. We saw mafia members being served in the outdoor cafe, and when they were done they left without paying the bill, walking straight into the hotel. They came back out and left in their brand-new Mercedes G-class wagons. Everyone knows that no one can touch these guys. The guy who owns Kotayk beer literally lives in a palace. I saw his house, its freakin crazy man.

Karabagh is a completely different story. Much worse living conditions. Roads arent even paved. But at least the capital city Stepanakert is mostly rebuilt and looks like a decent city. The landscape, however, is amazing. If you ever visit, you should see Gandzasar Monestary. Nice cathedral with a breathtaking view.

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 11:10

37 Caliphs.

3 Kings

6 president.

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 18:15

Ahmed you forgot the ancient ones, and the ones before the flood.

-------------

Posted By: Artaxiad
Date Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 19:46

What do you mean by ''the ancient ones''? The Assyrian and Babylonian kings? What gives the Iraqi Arabs the right to claim them as their own ancestors?

Armenian Survival, it's really a shame that I haven't been to Armenia.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 00:44

speaking Arabic doesnt make them lose their relation to their ancient past.

the current iraqis calling themselvs assyrians are the ones who chose christianity as a religion and many of the assyrians who converted to islam are arab speaking and as i said that wont make them lose the bloodline of their ancient fathers.

the same with the egyptians and the tunisians and the syrian ... etc.

-------------

Posted By: Tuman Yabgu
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 04:11

Turkiye has had 10 presidents and 59 prime ministers (12 of them serving multitiple terms in office), with Mustafa Kemal Ataturk been the founder and first President of the country who happens to be the most unforgettable.

Posted By: Jhangora
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 06:08

11 so far.

http://presidentofindia.nic.in/ - http://presidentofindia.nic.in/

The President

Image of The President  

DR. A. P. J. ABDUL KALAM

Born on 15th October 1931 at Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu, Dr. Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam, specialized in Aeronautical Engineering from Madras Institute of Technology. Dr. Kalam made significant contribution as Project Director to develop India?s first indigenous Satellite Launch Vehicle (SLV-III) which successfully injected the Rohini satellite in the near earth orbit in July 1980 and made India an exclusive member of Space Club. He was responsible for the evolution of ISRO?s launch vehicle programme, particularly the PSLV configuration. After working for two decades in ISRO and mastering launch vehicle technologies, Dr. Kalam took up the responsibility of developing Indigenous Guided Missiles at Defence Research and Development Organisation as the Chief Executive of Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP). He was responsible for the development and operationalisation of AGNI and PRITHVI Missiles and for building indigenous capability in critical technologies through networking of multiple institutions. He was the Scientific Adviser to Defence Minister and Secretary, Department of Defence Research & Development from July 1992 to December 1999. During this period he led to the weaponisation of strategic missile systems and the Pokhran-II nuclear tests in collaboration with Department of Atomic Energy, which made India a nuclear weapon State. He also gave thrust to self-reliance in defence systems by progressing multiple development tasks and mission projects such as Light Combat Aircraft.

As Chairman of Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC) and as an eminent scientist, he led the country with the help of 500 experts to arrive at Technology Vision 2020 giving a road map for transforming India from the present developing status to a developed nation. Dr. Kalam has served as the Principal Scientific Advisor to the Government of India, in the rank of Cabinet Minister, from November 1999 to November 2001 and was responsible for evolving policies, strategies and missions for many development applications. Dr. Kalam was also the Chairman, Ex-officio, of the Scientific Advisory Committee to the Cabinet (SAC-C) and piloted India Millennium Mission 2020.

Dr. Kalam took up academic pursuit as Professor, Technology & Societal Transformation at Anna University, Chennai from November 2001 and was involved in teaching and research tasks. Above all he took up a mission to ignite the young minds for national development by meeting high school students across the country.

In his literary pursuit four of Dr. Kalam?s books - "Wings of Fire", "India 2020 - A Vision for the New Millennium", "My journey" and "Ignited Minds - Unleashing the power within India" have become household names in India and among the Indian nationals abroad. These books have been translated in many Indian languages.

Dr. Kalam is one of the most distinguished scientists of India with the unique honour of receiving honorary doctorates from 30 universities and institutions. He has been awarded the coveted civilian awards - Padma Bhushan (1981) and Padma Vibhushan (1990) and the highest civilian award Bharat Ratna (1997). He is a recipient of several other awards and Fellow of many professional institutions.

Dr. Kalam became the 11th President of India on 25th July 2002. His focus is on transforming India into a developed nation by 2020.

http://presidentofindia.nic.in/scripts/thepresident.jsp - http://presidentofindia.nic.in/scripts/thepresident.jsp

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 10:58
I have not counted the total number of rulers of Iran, I think "before Islam" Iran (not Elam, ...) had 109 kings (including 2 Queens and 14 Greek kings).

-------------

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 14:36

Azimuth good notice but if I want to mention them I ll beat any number of kings.

they were many dynasties in mesopotamia.

Sumer,Kish,Lagash,Ur,Uruk,Eridu and Isin as well as the main empires Akkadian,Babylonian,Assyrian and Chaldean.

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Posted By: BMC21113
Date Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 13:29

The US has had 43 official US Presidents, though some were elected more than once. The first US President was George Washington, he was President from 1789 to 1797. The current US President is George W. Bush, and his presidency began in 2001 and continues to the present.

-------------
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon

Posted By: Richard XIII
Date Posted: 26-Dec-2005 at 03:46
Romania from 1881
4 kings
3 or 4 prime ministers (communist regime)
4 presidents (including Ceausescu)

-------------
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 03:10
Dear Brother Ahmed the fighter you forgot to add the Ottoman Sultans who ruled Iraq until 1918.

-------------

Posted By: SaikhaNBayar
Date Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 09:54
3 since democratic revolution...

-------------
The 800th Anniversary of the Great Mongolian State. 2006

Posted By: Reginmund
Date Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 13:46
None, this has been a monarchy for over a thousand years, and it will probably stay that way for some time still.

-------------

Posted By: Slavic Pretorian
Date Posted: 26-Apr-2006 at 06:28
Originally posted by Mila

From a Bosniak perspective, our most notable President is probably...

<div style="text-align: center;">

<div style="text-align: left;">"This city, our beloved Sarajevo,
represented everything the aggressors despised, everything they wished
to destroy: Bosniaks, Bosnian Croats, Bosnian Serbs, Jews, Roma, as
well as other minorities living together in peace as we have done for
centuries. The paradise we made, together, contradicted everything the
aggressors believed in. Sarajevo contradicted their fascist
ideals and that, my children, is the reason they slaughtered us. But,
more importantly, that is also the reason why we shall rebuild! Our
revenge shall be to rebuild our libraries, hospitals, and schools and
to be, once again, something that is beautiful and good!"
- Alija Izetbegovic, 1995

But he up and left us.

Though Bosnia is the country that I live in Alija Izetbegovic was never mine president! Don't make paradise out of Bosnia when that not true! For as long as Bosnia , such as it is, exists Serbs living in it will be it's prisoners! BTW Bosnia has no presidents...

Posted By: fastspawn
Date Posted: 27-Apr-2006 at 07:47
My country, SIngapore

Has had 3 Prime Ministers and 6 Presidents.

If you are not aware of the history of Singapore.
The President is the Head Of State but his function is ceremonial, much like the Queen.
The Prime Minister is Head of Government and thus the primus inter pares.

Our first PM, Lee Kuan Yew, was PM for '59-91
our second PM Goh Chok Tong, was PM for '91-04
and our third PM Lee Hsien Loong was PM for '04-

As you can see, Singapore's "democracy" is not really much of a rock the boat kind.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com