Print Page | Close Window

The Third empire - who were the two first?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Modern History
Forum Discription: World History from 1918 to the 21st century.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=724
Printed Date: 12-May-2024 at 22:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Third empire - who were the two first?
Posted By: Guests
Subject: The Third empire - who were the two first?
Date Posted: 22-Sep-2004 at 12:35

Hi!

I have a really stupid question to ask...

We always thalk about Hitlers third empire.  But who were the to others? 

I would expect the Roman empire to be one of them...

Replies:
Date Posted: 22-Sep-2004 at 12:42
1st: Holy Roman Empire (952(IIRC)-1806)
2nd: German Empire 1871-1918

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 14:06
Thank you so much!

Posted By: Evildoer
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 17:05
Actually the whole Third Reich thing was nonsense... How can there be an empire without an emperor?

Posted By: fastspawn
Date Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 11:50
Doesn't Fuhrer mean something like Emperor? Its just a name anyway.

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 12:09
Führer means leader

-------------

Posted By: Kalevipoeg
Date Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 14:27
It really doesn't matter what you call the country and the leader. There is no law of calling the ruler of an empire an emperor. Even if Hitler would have been the emperor by name, he still would have sucked ass.

-------------
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 15:46
Since reich doesn't mean 'empire' but 'realm' it's not much of an issue though...

Posted By: Kubrat
Date Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 21:20
The whole idea was based on propaganda for Hitler.  He was a masterful demagogue, who knew how to make the people's fleeting passions flare into his devices for world domination.

-------------
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare

Posted By: Evildoer
Date Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 01:36
Fuhrer was probablly a copy of Mussolini's Il Duce (The Leader). Hitler copied Mussolini a lot.

Posted By: TheDiplomat
Date Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 08:22

Originally posted by Evildoer

Fuhrer was probablly a copy of Mussolini's Il Duce (The Leader). Hitler copied Mussolini a lot.

Führer,Duce,Vojd[stalin]=leader...the need of a leader is the feature of the totaliterian regimes

-------------
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Posted By: JanusRook
Date Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 12:20

Actually I thought it was the other way around. Mussolini didn't even have any anti-jewish laws until he went into league with Hitler.

-------------
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 12:45
I tend to agree with Janus here.  Hitler had much more control than Mussolini did, he was the one really in control, not Mussolini.

-------------
-William Shakespeare

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 15:41

Führer means both leader and guide, i think that double-meaning in German gave the title more 'style'...

btw, HRE was't regarded as a German empire, so it was the misconception of Hitler to name it 3. Reich...and technically the "second" empire never ended, from 1971 to 1945 germanys official name was aways German empire.

besides, Reich initialy meant Commonwealth but later became synonimous with empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 15:24

1971 to 1945

Not to be an ass but 1871 right?

besides, Reich initialy meant Commonwealth but later became synonimous with empire.

What then was the official title of the Austro-Hungarian Empire? Were they also a reich and is that the reason there name is now Ostreich.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 17:16

Well, to the Germans, Oesterreich (Oe in place of o with umlaut), is just the east empire, because they are ethnically and linguistically close to the Germans.  Same way that Frankreich is France.

btw, HRE was't regarded as a German empire, so it was the misconception of Hitler to name it 3. Reich...and technically the "second" empire never ended, from 1971 to 1945 germanys official name was aways German empire.

I thought it was referring to Karl der Grosse's Reich (Charlemagne) not HRE?

-------------
-William Shakespeare

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 17:25

yes, 1871 is of course correct...

official name of Austria-Hungary was Österreich-Ungarn, also known as Black and Yellow monarchy or more popular, K.u.K monarchy (K.u.K. stands for Kaiser und König (Emperor of Austria and King of Hungary). other names included Danube monarchy or double monarchy.
I'm not exactly sure when the name Austira (Österreich) as we know it today came into existence, but Austria became a duchy in the 13th century and was from then on refered to as Austria/Österreich ever since.

kubrat, the HRE is Charlemagne's empire

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 17:30

Err... I thought that was Barbarossa?  Around 1155 was when he was crowned emperor?  Karl did capture Rome, but three and a half centuries earlier, in Christmas 800.

Or are they both called HRE? 

-------------
-William Shakespeare

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 17:58
the HRE begun in 800 AD as you rightly noticed, but with the decline of the Frankish kingdoms the title later even disappeared for a time but was revived by the Eastern Frankish kingdom that became the Teuton kingdom in the 10th century by Otto I the great...

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 18:02
Charlemagne was crowned emperor of the Franconian Empire. Later that empire was split into West-Francia (France), Lorraine, and East-Francia (Germany). At first the leader of Lorraine (Lotharius, hence the German name 'Lothringen') was emperor, but around the year 1000, the East-Franconian/German/HRE king became emperor (I thought it was Otto the Great, but I'm not sure).

EDIT: bah, too late

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 18:04
I thought that Karl der Grosse was the first king of Germany?  I recently read that in a german textbook, but it might be biased .  Then the Second Reich would be Bismarck, and Third Reich would be Hitler?

-------------
-William Shakespeare

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 18:54

Exactly Kubrat Karl der Grosse was crowned emperor by the pope. A portion of his realms evolved into the Holy Roman Empire. The second reich is the united german empire of 1871 and the third reich is hitler.

from 1871 to 1945 germanys official name was aways German empire.

I thought after Wilhelm II abdicated it became the Weimar Republic?

Oesterreich (Oe in place of o with umlaut)

But of course, sorry I didn't do that but I think Oe and Ue and the like looks hideous when I'm reading it (don't ask why) and it's just quicker to write O.

Besides I forgot it was Oesterreich........

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 19:16

more or less, yeah...

the question about the first king of Germany is difficult, since there's no clear definition of "germany" back then. today it is commonly accepted that Henry I. the bird-hunter (rough translation) was the first king of Germany because he had the support of all German tribes...he was the second non-carolingian (non-frankish) ruler of the eastern Frankish kingdom (Conrad I. the younger didn't had the support of all duchies), that was composed of Germanic tribes (Alemanns/Swabians, Saxons, Thüringians, Baiuvarians, Friesians, Salian Franks and later middle/Lorraine-Franks) conquered by the Franks. thus, later the kingdom was renamed regnum teutonicum ("Deutschland"/germany, before it was regnum francorum).

since under the third ruler, Otto I. Germany became the HRE, Charlemagne/Carl the Great was still regarded as founder and as later the HRE became uninvitably chained to Germany, Charlemagne isn't really viewed as a foreign ruler by many Germans....
so the whole issue about Germans claiming Charlemagne can be compared to Byzantines claiming Roman ancestry. of course nationalism also plays a large role here...

Originally posted by Janus Rook

I thought after Wilhelm II abdicated it became the Weimar Republic?

Weimar Republic is of course just a nickname of the period between the fall of the monarchy and the rise of the Nazis, official name was still German empire.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com