Print Page | Close Window

*Total Quiz XI* Part 2

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Total Quiz Archive
Forum Discription: Archive of past Total Quiz contests. Next Total Quiz: January 2007
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6550
Printed Date: 28-Mar-2024 at 09:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: *Total Quiz XI* Part 2
Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Subject: *Total Quiz XI* Part 2
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 15:18

Total Quiz XI

(Part 2)

Take the Total Quiz:
(Total Quiz XI has concluded. No more answers accepted)

Introduction: TQ is a history trivia contest. Anyone is free to participate and the contest is open to all forum members and guests.

Instructions: Go to the questions page enter your name and submit answers to the questions. You are allowed an unlimited number of submissions and you may use any source, reference or search engine to help you with your answering. Points are awarded for correct answers. The participant with the most points win. The scoreboard will be updated regularly. Only use the answer sheet to submit answers, DO NOT post answers on the forum.

TQ ends Friday 3:30 EST

Tentative Final Scores with bonus points:

NickName Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 Q11 Q12 Q13 Q14 Q15 Total
poirot 1 1 1 0.91 1 0.91 1 1 1 0 0.91 1 1 1 1 13.74
Dawn 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0.5 1 1 1 1 1 0.88 0 13.38
Decebal 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 13
Heraclius 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 12
Aeolus 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 10
Mixcoatl 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 10
Richard Niehart 1 0.5 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 8.5
achilles 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 8
phallanx 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 8
Maju 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 7
Ahmed The Fighter 1 1 1 1 1 0.67 0 0.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.17
katulakatula 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 6
kotumeyil 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 6
Serge L 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5
rider 1 0.25 1 1 0.25 0 0 0 0.25 0 0 0 0 0 0 3.75
Janisary 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

-----------Answers to Total Quiz XI.2------------

Q1. What is the name of the trade route that once ran between China and the Roman Empire? (Submitted by Invictus)
Answer: The Silk Road

Q2.  The Treaty of Andrusovo ended what war and when it was signed? (Submitted by Rider)
Answer: Russia and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth signed it in 30 January 1667. It ended the struggle over Ukrainian terrtories.

Q3. Who Founded the Shilla Dynasty? (Submitted by Gubook)
Answer: Bak Hyeokkose.

Q4. I commanded the Tang troops at the Battle of Talas in 751 A.D. Although I served under the Tang Empire, I am Korean in origin. I was beheaded at the start of the Anlushan Rebellion. Who am I? (Submitted by Poirot)
Answer: Gao Xianzhi, or Kao Xianzhi, or any spelling close to this will count as correct

Q5. I founded the great Swedish fortress in a province of Finland in 1747. The fortress became my life work. I died in 1772 at the age of 62. Who am I and what are the names of the fortress? (Submitted by Rider)
Answer: I am Swedish Field-Marshal August Ehrensvärd. (1710-1772) The fortress has been called Sveaborg and Suomenlinna.

Q6. This question has three parts: I was one of the major figures of a major revolution in a country south of the United States. I did not survive past 1960. Bad weather was attributed to my death, but there have been speculations that my death was ordered by another major figure of the same revolution. 1. What is the country that I refer to? 2. Who is the other major figure who many speculate may have ordered my death 3. Who am I? (Submitted by Poirot)
Answer: 1. Cuba 2. Fidel Castro 3. Camillo Cienfuegos

Q7. Over the 20th century, quite a few of countries have called themselves 'People's Republic' (For example: Yemen, Belarus and Algeria). But which 'People's Republic' has been the longest-living one so far? Give the country, plus the years in which the people's republic was proclaimed, and (if applicable) discontinued. (Submitted by Yan)
Answer: Mongolia, 1924 - 1992

Q8. At one point, it became somewhat common for Roman emperors to call themselves "unconquerable." One Emperor, however, was so great that he was not merely unconquerable. One of his feats is that he had his title "Imperator" proclaimed and renewed more times than any other Roman emperor had in history. Who is this Emperor and how did he modify his title, after a victory that convinced him that he was not only "unconquerable"? (Submitted by Invictus)
Answer: The Emperor is Constantine (IMPERATOR CAESAR FLAVIVS CONSTANTINVS PIVS FELIX INVICTVS AVGVSTVS PONTIFEX MAXIMVS PATER PATRIAE PROCONSVL). Constantine had his title "Imperator" proclaimed and renewed 30 times, which is the most of any Roman Emperor. The word Invictus (unconquerable) was used by various emperors after Alexander Severus. After winning the entire empire for himself, Constantine replaced "Invictus" with "Victor" (conqueror). Since the wording is somewhat vague, I also accepted "Maximus," (but not "Pontifex Maximus," since that's another title) which was added after the victory at Milvian Bridge.

Q9. This person was born in midst of the 15th century. She married the Prince of a neighbouring kingdom. She was the brother of the ruling king and with difficulties gained the throne. She fought against nobles, neighbours and furious clerics but most of the time had the support from the lower classes. She created the basis for an united kingdom. She had the respect of one pope who ruled at the most of the ruling time of the person. Most of her children died from small ages. She died a few years after Columbus' fourth voyage. Who was she? (submitted by Rider)
Answer: Isabelle of Castille

Q10. He rose from a humble beginning to become a prophet and a king. For a short time, he ruled a new Jerusalem, establishing a new Zion. (Submitted by Hugoestr)
Answer: John of Leyden. He was a Dutch innkeeper who became a prophet. A group of Anabaptist led by Bernand Rothmann took control of Munster and proclaim John of Leyden King of New Zion. The displaced Bishop of Munster gathered an army and sieged the city for a year and a half, until a group of citizens within the walls open the gates to his army. The corpes of the Anabaptist leaders were hung on a cage hanging from the tower of St. Lambert's Church Chadwick, Owen. "The Reformation" Pinguin Books, Middlesex, England. 1972. Pages 190-192.

Q11. I am the only Chinese emperor who, although belonging to the same dynasty, did not share the same surname as my predecessor. I was adopted as successor by the previous emperor and the name of the dynasty stayed the same after I ascended the throne. Who am I? (Submitted by Poirot)
Answer: Emperor Shi Zong (Shizong) of Zhou, during the Five Dynasties Period. The name is Chai Rong. The predecessor's name was Guo Wei. After the death of Chai Rong, a military officer named Zhao Kuangyin usurped the throne, and thus began the Song Dynasty in China. Both Shi Zong (Shizong) and Chai Rong are accepted as the correct answer!

Q12. According to legend, what Englishwoman learned in the sciences who lectured in Saxony, Rome, France and Greece was elected to the most unlikely job in the world for a women to do. (Submitted by Paul)
Answer: Pope Joan, who reigned as Pope John VIII 853-855. But was found out to be female went she went into labour when travelling through the city.

Q13. “Amun”, “Ra”, “Ptah” and “Seth” are names of Egyptian Gods. One time, Amun, Ra, Ptah and Seth got into an interesting situation. Ra was badly attacked and fled, but the Ptah and Seth were able to save the day. What event in history is this referring to?
Answer: The Battle of Kadesh between Ramses and the Hittites. Amun, Ra (Re), Ptah, and Seth were names of divisions of the Egyptian army. The Ra division was ambushed and routed.

Q14. What links the following together: Marcus Licinius Crassus (1st Century BC), Charles Ewart (19th Century), Hermann Goering (1940), Helmut Rosenbaum (1942)and why? (Submitted by Dawn)
Answer: Eagles. First century BC-Marcus Licinius Crassus the battle of Carrhae in 43 B.C.E., when the Triumvir Marcus Licinius Crassus was treacherously defeated by the Parthians, losing (according to Plutarch’s Life of Crassus) some 30,000 men, of whom 20,000 were slain and 10,000 taken captive and a couple of eagles 19th- century-Charles Ewart Sergeant Charles Ewart captured the Imperial Eagle standard of the French 45th Regiment after a desperate fight and well deserved the commission which he was later given by the Prince Regent. 1940-Hermann Goering In August 1940 he confidently threw himself into the great offensive against Great Britain, Operation Eagle, convinced that he would drive the RAF from the skies and secure the surrender of the British by means of the Luftwaffe alone 1942-Helmut Rosenbaum U-73 departed under Helmut Rosenbaum from La Spezia on 4th Aug 1942 and arrived back at La Spezia four and a half weeks later on 5th Sep 1942. Helmut Rosenbaum hit one ship on this patrol from convoy WS-21S. On 11th Aug 1942 he sank the British 22,600 ton HMS Eagle, a member of convoy WS-21S Note: not my own question but I liked the style of it

Q15. Father and Son: It was a bad day in the office for the whole family: The father died, the son was so badly injured that he only could run the family business for another few weeks, before his brother-in-law had to take over. This brother-in-law, who although was the first to bear an impressive title, lost it all as well after a couple of years. Who were the three (name the Father, his Son, and his Son-in-law), and what happened to the father after his death? (Submitted by Komnenos)
Answer: Father: Nikephoros I (Emperor: 802-811) Son: Stauracius  (July 811-Oct 811) Son in law: Michael I Rhangabes (811-813)was the first ever to use the title"Emperor of the Romans"("Basileus Romaion") Nikephoros died at the battle of Pliska 26th July 811, and his skull was allegedly turned into a drinking vessel by the victorious Khan Krum. His son was completely paralysed in the battle.

Replies:
Posted By: Serge L
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 16:33
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Current scores will be updated one hour from the start of the quiz and afterwards whenever possible, but at a minimum of 4 hour intervals until near the end of the quiz.

hmmm... I suppose some hours more when it's night onyour side of the world . . . or do you just  need to sleep four hours? I certainly need more!
BTW,  am I half-asleep (it's late evening here) or is the link to the scores missing?

[edit] Oh,  I can see the scoreboard now![/edit]

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 16:42
Scores have been updated. Some people are already on a roll. I'll be sure to make it harder next time. 

For questions that were awarded partial points, only part of the question was answered.

hmmm... I suppose some hours more when it's night onyour side of the world . . . or do you just  need to sleep four hours? I certainly need more!
BTW,  am I half-asleep (it's late evening here) or is the link to the scores missing?

oh Its just that scores won't be updated continuously, so that people near my time zone would have an advantage.

-------------

Posted By: poirot
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 18:46

Imperator, you left out my two best questions!!!   The one about Roman vice and the other about the actress!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, good quiz, especially after question 10.  I love question 14   That was a tough one, because one needs to know the right place to look for the answer. 

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 18:58

Yeah, I'm not sure how the selection of the questions works. I've submitted about half a dozen, but I have yet to see one on the quiz.

Anyway, Invictus, if you want to make the quiz harder,...

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 19:17
Decabal, I've actually not received any questions from you, so make sure you submit some after this quiz.

About the second thing you mentioned, I'm aware, but its more of the balance between "easy research" and "hard" questions that is tricky. For example, if every question were like #15, then the quiz would become pretty frustrating and "baised toward people's specialties". But I am aware that the balance between easy and hard is not always optimum.

As for this one, I don't think its too easy compared to previous quizes, but of course, the standard for questions is that they get harder and harder.

Anyways, enjoy the quiz!

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 19:58
#11 is harder than it looks LOL    And #6 is much easier than it looks

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 20:35
Unlike the previous quizes, the questions this time are arranged from easy to difficult, so you can see how my prediction is coming out. 

-------------

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 21:00
I can't find the questions. 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 21:09
Questions are located at the link near the top of the post:

>>Go to the TQ Questions Form

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 21:16
Clarification: On Question 10, the fact that he was proclaimed king must be taken literally. So "King" cannot be interpreted as a metaphor for any (other) type of leader.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 21:22
Thanks Invictus!

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 02:21
I can't understand. Is it allowed to use other sources than your head in it? (TQ)

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 09:59
Any source or reference material may be used in answering the questions.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 13:28

Good job Komnenos for coming up with 15.  That was a good one.  I think I finally got it after searching two wrong tracks.   

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 13:37

Hey, don't my submitted questions count? I thought they did, and in the previous TQ they did for Dawn and others. (they got 0.75 points for each)

there were three questions submitted by me here and i believe i answered them correctly but....

-------------

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 13:40

Originally posted by poirot

Good job Komnenos for coming up with 15.  That was a good one.  I think I finally got it after searching two wrong tracks.   

Argh! I thought i'd be the only one who'd get that

Great question Komnenos  

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Posted By: Dawn
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 14:10
Originally posted by rider

Hey, don't my submitted questions count? I thought they did, and in the previous TQ they did for Dawn and others. (they got 0.75 points for each)

there were three questions submitted by me here and i believe i answered them correctly but....

Yes they will count at the end of the round you will be awarded points based on how many questions you answer

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 15:49
A little more than 24 hours remaining in the quiz. It looks like this one will be hard-fought, but its still anyone's game at this point. 

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 15:56
Good job Dawn!  I did not expect anyone to answer 11 at the end of the first round! Appaluse! !

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 16:17
I don't think that there's going to be a second round, since all the questions have been answered by at least one person.

-------------
Napoleon Bonaparte

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 16:22
Good job Decebal, you have the lead!

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 17:21
On Question 8, I've decided to accept an alternative answer different from what I had intended, due to ambiguity in the question. 

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 21:07

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

oh Its just that scores won't be updated continuously, so that people near my time zone would have an advantage.

I'm sure I prefered it the other way even when the moderator(stry and TJK) where on the other side of the planet from me particulairly when the mod forgets to update ....

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 21:31
Scores have been updated, albeit a little late but I will update it again before I sleep tonight. 

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 23:07

Richard Niehart... is that you Paul?

I have the feeling that Dawn is once again going to squeeze by me on the basis of the bonus points and win the quiz. Oh well, at least I'm giving her a good challenge.

-------------
Napoleon Bonaparte

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 00:06
Richard Niehart= Paul  .... say it isn't so ..... I thought we had someone new 

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 04:44

Richard Niehart hmm

Don't underestimate poirot Decebal, we might be tied for second after Dawn   Dawn amazes me with her ability at Total Quiz.  I think she deserves to win   She is the only person (so far) to answer #11.  And that question (if it must be answered without external resources) is one that even a historian has to think twice about.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 10:26

I want my score please help me to find it. 

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 10:36
Ahmed the scores are at the begining of this thread , your name is not there. When did you last submit answers? if it was less than two hours ago they will not appear untill II updates in a few hours. if it was more than 2 hrs ago you have not got correct answers and need to try again. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 11:17
Yep, the scores have to be updated by humans so it depends on when I have time.

I'll try to update the scores again at 2:30 (one hour before the end of the quiz), but that is not guarenteeed since I'm away from home at that time and may not be able to find a computer.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 11:34
 Damn i'm finished on this quiz, just cant find answers to the 3 I havent got  and it all started so well .

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 11:59
Ummm II you shouldn't give more poirot more than one point for a question in round one even if he does want to win.... everyone else will want it to then

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 13:49
*clears throat.  Imperator I really appreciate your generoristiy, but I must insist that I get the full 1 point for number 8, rather than the 1.5.    I think it must be a typo. 

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 14:16
OK,but should  I answer all questions? I think I left two unanswered questions.

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 14:31

Well, I don't believe you can d oit again...

or else I will kill myself.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 14:36
You can submit as many times as you want until you get the correct answer (but I will only consider the most recent of your answers each time I check scores).

1 hour remaining!

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 15:51
That's it. TQ is over.

Scores with bonuses* have been posted. Stay tuned for the answers to the questions and the final concluding "ceremony" once all the results have been confirmed. It looks like Dawn has won this one, but it was pretty close, as you can see.

I hope everyone had fun playing TQ!

*Bonus points are based on the percentage of correctly answered questions, excluding those submitted by the participant.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 15:58

Wow, that was close. Congratulations Dawn. I still don't know how you got Question 11. I ended up looking at several complete lists of Chinese emperors with their surnames and went through them one by one, and still didn't get the answer...

II, I might end up pm'ing you next time I submit questions. I had submitted about 5 or 6, and apparently you didn't get any of them.

-------------
Napoleon Bonaparte

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:00

II, I also made question 4, you have not added the bonuses to that one!

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:13

Well done Dawn

I DEMAND to know how you got the answer to number 11 I looked through every single Chinese Emperor and came up with nothing

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:26
Same with me. I even tried emperors form obscure dynasties like the Western Yan and Western Liao. Perhaps Poirot can tell us how he came up with the question in the first place.

-------------
Napoleon Bonaparte

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:28
Which are the answers? I want to know about the ones I failed. 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:31
Actually, I have to retract the statement about the result. I think Poirot had this one since I forgot to place in all the bonus points. D'oh

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:34
II, read all of my PMs before deciding the final result. 

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:40

Although I appreciate your congrats. I think it may have been a little early.... as poirot said there has been a slight error in the point talling,and although I did not use the fancy formula to calculate the amount for bonuses my adding come out to him winning so I think that we must wait for II to look at it. Either way It was a great game and it is nice to see so many people playing and such a tight game .... Decabel ,you play a great game .. proves there is not much to do on cool long nights in Canada ah  Heraclius and Poirot ....is this your first game? you play like old pros. And all you really new players you played great these were some were the toughest questions yet. Well done everyone 

As to the dreeded question 11 and how I answered.  Pure stuberness(Stry even gave me an award once for that quality)  hours and hours of compareing lists of emperors ,two guesses and then coming across General Z's lists on the Chinese history forum (the easiest one of all to read) and on the 3rd guess got it.

as It may come down to the best question vote to who wins I will start it off by voting for ......

edit:  Where did the questions go Invictus?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:43
Dawn, I PMed II about the scoring problems, and I came up with a way so that I can get recognized for my bonus points but you can still be the winner.    I am not sure if II will accept my proposal, but all in all it is a good game.  Good job Dawn, Heraclius, Decebal, Maju, Aeolus, etc.  Yes, this is my first TQ and it has been a pleasure to play. 

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:47
 Yes it's my first quiz to, thank you Dawn

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:52

About question 11, I was reading an abridged version of the Zi Zhi Tong Jian (a historical text by 11th century Chinese historian Sima Guang) when I suddenly noticed this amazing detail. 

This question is hard because

1. The answer is not a conventional emperor from a major dynasty

2. Due to varied transliteration of emperor names into english, it is easy to get confused with the names

Guang Xu pops out of one's mind quickly, but remember that his surname, Asingoro, is the same as his predecessor.

Wang Mang and Empress Wu may fit the bill, but remember, both changed the dynasty names after their ascention to the throne.  Wang Mang from Han to Xin, and Empress Wu from Tang to Zhou.  Many modern historical books generalize and include Empress Wu with the Tang Dynasty and many nowdays take this for granted.  But strictly speaking, the dynasty name changed from Tang to Zhou.

You may find some examples in the pre-Qin era, such as the Duke of Qi's title transferring from one house to another another.  However, remember that the title of Emperor was not created until the Qin Dynasty.

As far as I know, only _______ fits the bill perfectly. 

Decebal, I have a hunch that you maybe on the verge to finding something that contradicts my claim.  If so, PM me and we can discuss.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:55
Yeah, it's all my fault for not correctly tallying the bonus at first. But I too did not give it a second thought because I also thought that Dawn had won. It looks like the bonus points have sneaked up on me as well.

Anyways, I think I should go by the rules and not make changes in the middle of the game. All in all, as long as everyone had fun, then its all good. This was a great quiz and was well played. There was very high participation, as well as many new players.

Great game, everyone. I enjoyed proctoring this one.

Dawn, actually I believe that the "Best Question" vote no longer adds points to the game. It was amended some time ago (I think). (At the same time, I really don't want to sound like I'm being too stringent, especially after this issue with the bonus miscalculation...)

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 17:22

I didn't know the best question was removed from scoring hmmm. I too think that you should stick to the rules as they are set and I don't see that there is an issue with the bonus calcs. things are as they should be now.

Congrats Poirot on a game well played.

And thank you Imerator Invictus for running the show. I know it is alot of work  

My vote for best question is ... question #10 by Hugo . Had me going in the wrong direction the whole time until I accedentally found the answer by mistakenly clicking on a search result from amazon ( I always skip them ,they are just for books they sell no info there) and low and behold this book was about our guy . I read it three times and then searched the fellows name and found that the book was not fiction but fact.... could not believe my luck.

If I had one complaint about the whole affair it is that Styrboirn and TJK didn't play (I still need to beat the Swed and his friend .... oh ya I would demand  that II move to europe so we can go back to the old continious updates

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 17:58

Thanks Dawn.  You were my choice for the winner, since you answered the question that noone else got.

About the favorite question, mine is #15.  I am sure that Heraclius agrees with me.  I felt extremely good after answering it, same with 13.  It actually took me some reasoning and less googling to get 13 and 15.

About 10 - that is the one question I never got.    I seemed dogged on the Mormon track, and Joseph Smith. 

I was suprised that 11 was chosen, because it is a very specialist question.  I would have wanted more of my history of sexuality questions to be chosen. 

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 17:58

Damn!!! I suspected that some sneaky Byzantines would have sth to do with Q15 and i wont forgive myself for losing Q13 !!!

Anyway, Congrats to the winner and each one of you!  Great game till the last min and II run it excellent

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 18:20

Yes I agree with Poirot Q15 was a good one and is my fave  it looked really hard at first, but as soon as I saw the son was badly injured after the father had been killed I realised what it was talking about.

BTW well done for becoming the eventual winner poirot  and great job with the quiz overall II  its great that so many people participated and it was a lot closer than I thought it'd be.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 18:35
Q15 was an excellent question, also very difficult too. It also had a funny hint too (Hint: How do you translate “curved” into…..? (its “krumm” in German)). But of course, if the question is written by Komnenos and Heraclius is the only one who was answering it, then it obviously has to do with something Byzantine.

I was bitter that Q13 was answered rather quickly. I put some glaring clues in there which I guess gave it away. For that question if you searched in google for "Re" instead of "Ra" you would've more easily gotten that one.

The question about the Emperor's title was a bit technical. The answer could've been found on the footnote in the wikipedia article about the Constantine I.

Again, very well played, everyone.

I was really happy about the participation of this quiz. The questions this time were arranged from easy to hard so I wanted to make sure that people weren't turned away at the first question.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 18:37

Yes, question 15 was a real killer. Should have guessed that the Byzantines must have had something to do with it...

And question 11 had me staring at endless lists until my eyes hurt

I do have a suggestion about future quizes: How about grading different questions according to the difficulty? For example: questions 1-5 worth 1 point, questions 5-10 worth 2 points, questions 10-15 worth 3 points. The person submitting the question could get a percentage of the points for that question.

-------------
Napoleon Bonaparte

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 18:46
I do have a suggestion about future quizes: How about grading different questions according to the difficulty? For example: questions 1-5 worth 1 point, questions 5-10 worth 2 points, questions 10-15 worth 3 points. The person submitting the question could get a percentage of the points for that question.

As you can see, the difficulty I estimated did not come out to be correct.

However, one way we could implement such a system is to have the max points of the question decreasing as more people answer it. But I don't know if this extra complexity adds a lot to the gameplay. It would, however, add much more work for me. lol

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 18:47

Yes question 15 was without question byzantine just by who wrote it and who answered it and who chose it  but couldn't come up with it no how.

You choice of questions and arrangment was great ... had alot to do with how many people joined in this time I think.

Your scoring idea has some marrit Decabel worth looking at.  

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 20:23
Oh, imperator, can you correct Zhao Kuangyi into Zhao Kuangyin in the explanation for number 11?  I made a typo, which is significant in this case because Zhao Kuangyi was the brother of Zhao Kuangyin.  It is Zhao Kuangyin, not Zhao Kuangyi, who usurped the throne from Chai Rong's son.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 21:54

There you all fixed

-------------

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 04:14
Originally posted by Dawn

If I had one complaint about the whole affair it is that Styrboirn and TJK didn't play (I still need to beat the Swed and his friend .... oh ya I would demand  that II move to europe so we can go back to the old continious updates

Well, I've seen some of the answers of the old questions already (eg Constantine, Pope 'Joan'), so it'd feel like cheating. Maybe next time

And I'll just point out that "Pope Joan" is a myth, "she" was, in fact, a man. It's one of the more persitant uban myths out there.

Posted By: Jhangora
Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 06:09
Would we have a 3rd part of TQ xi.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 10:56

Originally posted by katulakatula

Would we have a 3rd part of TQ xi.

There is usually parts 3 and 4 but only invictus knows for sure what he will call the next quiz in about tree months time.

Styr, it never occured to me that you would have seen the answers but now that i think about it of course you had to of. Hopfully next time around they will be all of new stock.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 16:31
As to the best question, I'd vote for number 6: it was so obvious . . . after having seen it  but I was not able to think about Cuba, maybe because Castro is still alive, and I forgot his older companion.

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 18:02
Since no additional issue has been brought up, I guess we can conclude the TQ with the awards:

Moderator Awards:

Rookie Awards to Poirot and Heraclius for excellent performance on their first try at TQ.

Gratitude Award to Dawn for answering Question 11, thus not requiring round two.

Questions Awards:

"Best Question" award to Komenos for Question 15.

Main Award - Winner of Total Quiz XI Part 2:
goes to...
Poirot,
who may place this image in his signature if he wishes to do so
url: http://www.allempires.com/tq11-2_winner.gif

Congratulations to all participants. The next TQ will be held in January. I hope to see you back for Part 3 of TQ XI.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 18:35
Where are the answers? 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 18:44
The answers were posted on the first post of this thread. So you'll find them on page 1 of this thread. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 20:56
Thanks, some were pretty dificult... obviously. 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Jhangora
Date Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 02:08

Congratulations Poirot .We know now that posting pics of babes isn't ur only speciality.

I missed 1st part of the quiz though.Could have scored atleast 10 had I not missed it.

-------------
Jai Badri Vishal

Date Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 12:55
Well, as the oldest former TQ moderator still posting here (I was the second, after TQ inventor Kolovrat, who I don't see posting here or elsewhere for a long time), i think I am entitled to add a personal Encomium to Imperator Invictus for the impressively professional job he did here.

Bravo.

Date Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 13:12

Yes, nice quiz only i found out that you can have multiple entries after the quiz had just ended... Could kill myself now but  (a TQ is not worth it, not that it is bad but... aaargh.)

congrats to Poirot.

-------------

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 01:01
Congratulations to Poirot, and everybody else who took part.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Date Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 18:16

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: fastspawn
Date Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 10:01
Heya,

I returned from my long exile, and what do I see? 4 TQ done without me. I love TQ.

I will try my best to participate in the next one oK?

Date Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 16:27
I was wondering where you were Fastspawn

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com