URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=641
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 03:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Vikings and the Sami (Lapps)
Posted By: Wrageowrapper
Subject: Vikings and the Sami (Lapps)
Date Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 21:04
I do a lot of study on Indigenous peoples around the
world but dont know much about Viking era Sami.

Did they get into a lot of conflict with Pagan Vikings
and Christian Scandinavians from 1000ad till around
1600ad or not. Were there any major battle between
Germanic Scandinavians and Sami. Did Sami join
the vikings, are Sami vikings. I dont know...please
tell me.

Replies:
Posted By: Evildoer
Date Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 21:46
An adjacent question: Are the Sami any way realated to Suomi (Finnish)? I heard they were both originally from Asia.

Posted By: Wrageowrapper
Date Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 22:43
The Sami are not a homogenous people. The
finnish suomi are still regarded as Sami however.
As with any indigenous peoples the Sami had
different tribes and it was outsiders who just
bundled them up with one name, originally the
Lapps as in Lapland.

-------------
Nuenonne Palawa-kani wrageowrapper.

Posted By: Mangudai
Date Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 08:36

Originally posted by Wrageowrapper

The Sami are not a homogenous people. The
finnish suomi are still regarded as Sami however.
As with any indigenous peoples the Sami had
different tribes and it was outsiders who just
bundled them up with one name, originally the
Lapps as in Lapland.

No, the sámi - my ancestors  - were never organised in tribes (as often erroneously stated). The traditional sámi hunting-community was the siida - a group of related extended-families - often not more than 50 or so people.

The sámi and the finns/suomi are related, in fact the sámi languages are closest related to finnish and estonian.

There are no evidence of military clashes between vikings and sámi - since the latter never had any substantial military organisation to offer recistance. For example, the 9th century Ottar relation speaks of sámi reindeer hunters forced to pay tribute to the norwegian chief Ottar. But there were some fighting - not with the norse people but against other finno-ugric peoples. Many sámi legends speak of resistance against maurauding chuds - identified with karelians and ests. These fights were probably small guerilla operatons rather than real battles

/Mikael

Posted By: JanusRook
Date Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 12:53

These fights were probably small guerilla operatons rather than real battles

I can just picture a Hatfields-McCoys type scenario with that.

-------------
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.

Posted By: Evildoer
Date Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 14:35
Did the Finns and Estonians live similarly to the Sami before the Germans/Vikings conquered them?

Posted By: Kalevipoeg
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 09:24

The Tchuds or Ests, which are both names for Estonians, as far as i know. Russians called us (Estonians) Tchuds, it means something in the area of "stupid people". I don't know the exact meaning of Ests being Estonians as Ests could have ment any ethnicity in the East.

"Did the Finns and Estonians live similarly to the Sami before the Germans/Vikings conquered them?"

HHmmmmmmm..... i am no expert on the matter of Finns, but Estonians lived in  farms mostly and were of peasant descent. Estonians are known to have lived off of farming since 2000 B.C. (i think). Barley has been grown here for nearly 4000 years, that i know. We were rather sedentary people and didn't migrate out of our present day borders (only for some raids against the Swedes, Latgals, Livonians, Semgals or some of our fellow tribes) since we arrived in the Baltics. We had ancient countys where kings(Kuningad) ruled. The kings can't be seen as a king of England in the 16-17th century who had absolute power, but more of an elder, not a dictator. We didn't hunt nearly as much as Sami or Suomi because we had pretty good land for fields. So, yea, we were born farmers since the beginning of times we arrived in our present day area.

About the matter of Sami fighting the norsemen, i can't believe the Sami could offer any resistance to the berserker might of a viking. The Sami don't present to me as people with any weaponry except for killing a reindeer. It wouldn't be profitable to slay them anyway as they are experts at getting fur to anyone taking tribute from them so i don't think it was a regular thing to attack them.

-------------
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 11:42
Did Sami join the vikings, are Sami vikings.

Theres nothing to say sone Sami couldn't have been vikings. It was after all, an occupation
Wouldn't suprise me if a few of them did give up the life of the nomadic herder for a shot at looting the wealthy monestries of the British isles.

An adjacent question: Are the Sami any way realated to Suomi (Finnish)? I heard they were both originally from Asia.

All Europeans are technicly speaking, except the ones decendant from those who moved north through Iberia.
Theres a theory the Fenn-urgic speakers were in Europe before Indo-Europeans speakers showed up, 10,000, 12,000 or how ever many years ago that was.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 06:16

I forgot mentioning that the norse Sagas revered the sámi as excellent archers and the quality of their bows. In a legend, the mightiest God Odin actually posses a sámi bow!

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

About the matter of Sami fighting the norsemen, i can't believe the Sami could offer any resistance to the berserker might of a viking. The Sami don't present to me as people with any weaponry except for killing a reindeer. It wouldn't be profitable to slay them anyway as they are experts at getting fur to anyone taking tribute from them so i don't think it was a regular thing to attack them.

Of course a sámi archer could have taken out a swordsman. Steel spears, javelins and knifes were also used

Posted By: Hrodger
Date Posted: 25-Nov-2004 at 19:55
Originally posted by Wrageowrapper

Did they get into a lot of conflict with Pagan
Vikings and Christian Scandinavians from 1000ad till around 1600ad or
not. Were there any major battle between Germanic Scandinavians and
Sami. Did Sami join the vikings, are Sami vikings. I dont know...please
tell me.

There is no detail historical records of the Viking Age in Sweden. Those
merely deals with Danes and Norwegians. Earlier, Icelandic sagas
(sometimes called 'Norse sagas') was cited very much without criticism.

It is a matter of opinion if you want to include Sami as "Vikings." It is,
however, possible that "viking ships" are of Uralic origin if it not is
Slavic... It was shared by all ethnic groups in Nordic during the Viking
Age. Most ships excavated are, however, found in North Scandinavia
(Svea- and Norrland/Finland) and North Polen (Pomerania).

The Norwegian Otthere, messenger to King Alfred the Great of England,
mention that Quens (Cwens), i.e. rulers over the far North, sometimes
attacked Norwegians, sometimes Norwegians attacked Quens. Sometimes
it was peace. Here is the Quen Sea believed to be Gulf of Bothnia, that's it,
northern Baltic Sea. It is possible that Otthere count Sami amongst
'Suedes' (Swedes), it is possible they are not mentioned at all. Some
considers his report about Fenni adheres to Laplanders, althought he
located Fenland the east of Gandvik (White Sea) which is non-Sami
territories. The Icelandic sagas mentions in one tale that the relation
between Fenni (Sami) and Norwegian (Vikings) was tight due to an earlier
coincident.

The Norwegian law from around 1150s forbidden Norwegian interaction
with Sami, due to the latter might had heathenry influence on them. It
state that the man who take medical treatment (blood-stagging, etc.) or
advice (supernational answers, etc.) from magicians (shamans) will get
punished.

When Sweden was founded, Laplanders was really adored by writers such
as Olaus Magnus (1550s). He concluded; the colder, the cruler peoples.
He even used this region in some kind of propaganda that stated it was
part of the paradise, i.e. the highest level of human civilisation
development, where e.g. no money was used, no wars, etc. In reality,
these groups were still heathenry, money was abscence due to un-trust,
etc.

When Sweden was a much larger country that it is now, some Germans
etablished rumours that Swedes used 'Sami magic' to raise their warfare
capability. This was the start of the great work done by Johannes
Schefferus in 17th century. Its aim was to meet these rumours and show
that Sami was not Swedes, but adapted and abridged editions quickly
appeared in Germany et al with more rumours about so-called 'Sami
magic'. [This is commented in the Swedish edition of Lapponia.]

Just a short summary :-)

P.S. Cwen is considered to be root for King, so if you want we can divide
Scandinavia into Kings and Vikings. :-). D.S.

Date Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 11:43
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

The Tchuds or Ests, which are both
names for Estonians,
as far as i know. Russians called us
(Estonians) Tchuds, it means something in the area of "stupid people". I
don't know the exact meaning of Ests being Estonians as Ests could have
ment any ethnicity in the East.

What do Estonians call themself in Estonian language today and
historically? Is it similar to e.g. Sabme, Same, Somi, Suomi?

Date Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 11:53
Originally posted by Evildoer

An adjacent question: Are the Sami any way realated
to Suomi (Finnish)? I heard they were both originally from Asia.

Intrestingly, the adornment pattern on vessels in Northern Scandinavia
remiscents very much of Neolithic Jomon (rope pattern) from Jomon
Culture in Japan. The Scandinavian vessels dates from around 5000-1000
BP, thus some kind of pre-historic relation is likely. These vessels are
somewhat still mysterious; its usage is unknown.

Posted By: Kuu-ukko
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 08:43
No no no no no no!!! Wrong! Wrong, I tell you!!

Wrageowrapper:
No, they didn't get into conflicts with anyone, because the Sámi have always been very peaceful, so rather than fighting newcomers, they intergrate to them, though I doubt that mixed with the Vikings, since the Vikings were very proud people.

Evildoer:
Sámi is related to Finnish, yes, but it happened about 1000 BC. The Sámi are, however, genetically unique, since they are not part of the Caucasian race. They are both part of the Uralic language family. Proto-Uralic thought to originate from the "Volga river bend"(correct me if my term is false). There is no certainty of this fact, but everyone agrees it was spoken by the Ural mountain range.

Wrageowrapper:
The Sámi are homgenous genetically, and the Sámi languages are so close to each other, that is has been hard to classify the numbers Sámi languages, which is thought from 4 to 9.
"The finnish suomi are still regarded as Sami however." ??? Meaning? All "Lapponians" call themselves Sámi, own form "Saame". Outsiders just call them incorrectly "Laplanders" or "Lapponians".

Evildoer:
No, they didn't. The Finns and Estonians had learned agriculture from the Germanics circa. 1500-1000BC, about 2000 years after the Swedish started their crusades on Finland. The Sámi continued hunting as their main source of food.

Cywr:
The person who has represented your theory about the Fenno-Ugric people is higly critised, because he (Kalevi Wiik) believes, that language/race/culture cannot differ from one another (I personally think it's ludicrous). He has no education on the matter and has very few followers.

Mangudai:
The Sámi did not use steel spears, because that would require settling down and learning metalwork, both of which the Sámi don't master.

Hrodger:
The Sámi did not use ships for sailing seas. They might have had canoe- resembling vehicles for rivers or streams, however.
The Estonians call themselves "eestlane(plural eestlased)", sometimes "maarahvas".

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 13:36
Originally posted by Kuu-ukko

The Sámi did not use <span style="font-weight:
bold;">steel</span>spears, because that would require settling down
and learning metalwork, both of which the Sámi don't master.

As far as I know the metal introducing is today rather considered to be
one of Laplanders ancestors (c.p. Ananjino Culture), besides Celtic
influence. (Some Celtic adornment is even still preserved in their
traditional clothing!)

Originally posted by kuu-ukko

The Sámi did not use ships for sailing seas. They
might have had canoe- resembling vehicles for rivers or streams,
however

I strongly suggest you to read Christer Westerdahl et al papers for more
information on boat-builting in Northern Europe (Its more 'recent', i.e.
from 1980s.)

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 13:37

Hrodger:
The Sámi did not use ships for sailing seas. They might have had canoe-
resembling vehicles for rivers or streams, however.
The Estonians call themselves "<span style="font-style:
italic;">eestlane</span>(plural <span style="font-style:
italic;">eestlased</span>", sometimes "<span style="font-style:
italic;">maarahvas</span>".

Just for curiosity, is Maarahvas etymological related to Magyar?

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 14:45
No. It consists of two parts: Maa and Rahvas. Maa is in the same form in Finnish and means in Finnish "earth/ soil". Rahvas is also in the same form in Finnish, in Finnish meaning "commoner". Someone Estonian can enlighten if I'm incorrect, but basically it translates as "(indigenous?) commoner", whereas Magyar comes from proto-Ugric  word *mańć- meaning "man,person".

I believe the Estonians called themselves that because from the 13th to the 16th the Germans ruled Baltia, and heavily influenced the Estonian language and culture. The Germans settled in as landlords and nobles,whereas the subjugated Estonians became farmers, thus the name "maarahvas".

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 17:34
That's intresting. I remiscent there is a scholar claiming Saami, Suomi
equal to 'earth'.

Date Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 02:34
Yes they are all from the same rootword as the Finnish tribe häme, Latvian sem, samoyed samo and Russian semlja, all, like you said meaning "earth".

Date Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 05:52

Mangudai:
The Sámi did not use steel spears, because that would require settling down and learning metalwork, both of which the Sámi don't master. 

You're right, they perhaps didn't use steel, but they did used iron spears - traded from norse and baltic peoples

Do you seriously question that sámi have the ability settle down? What about my sámi acestors then, who were farmers for generations?

The Sámi are, however, genetically unique, since they are not part of the Caucasian race.

Not caucasians you say? I'm 50 % sámi - why then am I white-skinned (in fact I'm really pale ), blu-eyed and blond?

Posted By: pytheas
Date Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 11:51
Point to make on why there aren't historical records for "Sweden" in the early Medieval era.  Sweden didn't exist.  Norway and the Dane Mark existed, therefore any documents from the era would refer to name places OTHER THAN Sweden, although local place names have remained the same/similar to our modern times.  People today really do need to realize just because there aren't any records dated to the 12th Century about the United States of America, doesn't mean that literate people didn't visit, hunt, settle along the coast under another name--say Vinland (the land of the vine).

-------------
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.

Date Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 16:00

Originally posted by pytheas

Point to make on why there aren't historical records for "Sweden" in the early Medieval era.  Sweden didn't exist.  Norway and the Dane Mark existed, therefore any documents from the era would refer to name places OTHER THAN Sweden, although local place names have remained the same/similar to our modern times.  People today really do need to realize just because there aren't any records dated to the 12th Century about the United States of America, doesn't mean that literate people didn't visit, hunt, settle along the coast under another name--say Vinland (the land of the vine).

Sure it did exist, from the early 11th century and onwards. But then, it depends on what you mean with early medieval era 

Posted By: pytheas
Date Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 01:52
I might be wrong here, but Norway and Sweden were ruled jointly, no?

-------------
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.

Date Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 04:34

I might be wrong here, but Norway and Sweden were ruled jointly, no?

Yes, but much later - 1815-1905 

Date Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 11:14
Originally posted by Mangudai

Not caucasians you say? I'm 50 % sámi - why then am I white-skinned (in fact I'm really pale ), blu-eyed and blond?

Thats just splitting hairs! What I meant was, that originally the Sámi were/are not genetically part of Caucausians, being shorter and having a flatter forehead for example. I was talking about the 100% sámi. Besides, your 50% sámi, which means you also could have inherited your sámi side. Its just a matter of chance.

Thank you and goodbye.

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 09:06

As pointed out, Sweden existed. The earliest reference of the Swedes is probably Tacitus, and if I am not recalling erroneously, Beowulf contains the first physical mention of the kingdom itself (Swiorice in Old Saxon, Svíariki Old Norse).

Yes, but much later - 1815-1905 

And also in a brief period in the 14th century - Magnus Eriksson was king of Sweden and Norway 1319-50 (and sole king of Sweden to -64, and king of Skĺne 1332-60).

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 12:18
Are Finns and Estonians ashamed to be related to Sami?

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 08:56

I can say for myself, that I'm certainly NOT. I think their language is beautiful, but yet again reflecting the cold homeland of the Sŕmi. I also admire their way to preserve their culture and way of life until the 21st century and beyond. I shouldn't think that Finns on the whole are ashamed of the Sámi either. I can't say for sure about Estonians, but I'd think they're not ashamed either.

Thanks and bye for now  

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 05:01
Originally posted by Hrodger

Are Finns and Estonians ashamed to be related to Sami?

Why would they be that?

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 05:22
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Why would they be that?

It sounded like that in the discussion above.

Posted By: wilpuri
Date Posted: 15-Mar-2005 at 17:23

Genetically, Finns and Sámi are 'very' different. Finns are much closer to Swedes than Sámi. The languages are distant relatives.

During the viking age, the Sámis were mostly taxed by Norwegians, vikings if you will, Kvens (Fin. Tribe on both sides of Bothnia) and Karelians. I doubt the Sámi waged war on a large scale against anyone ever.

Posted By: Tiera
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 11:07
Finns and Sami are NOT very different from a genetic perspective. They are somewhat different (overall, Scandinavians and the Sami are closer to each other than Finns and Scandinavians, which is EXACTLY what one would expect from peoples of close proximity. The Gulf of Bothnia being more of a barrier). There IS of course the Sami motive which makes the Sami distinctive of both Scands and Finns. Everything is relative of course. Depends on which genetic marker you choose to study. The world of the genome is wild. Check out www.oxfordancestors.com/papers/mtDNA04%Saami.pdf (Am. J. Hum. Genet. 74:661-682, 2004) if you like.
I was surprised by the Y-chromosomal marker R1a frequencies: Altaians 47%, Maris 48%, Poles and Ukranians 55%, Danes-Norwegians-Swedes 16-24%, Saami 18%, Finns 8%. Also this: "Second, the much higher diversity of N3 in eastern Europe than in Siberia suggests that eastern Europe, rather than Siberia, is a possible origin of the earliest expansion of this haplogroup in northern Eurasia."

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 10:08

Hi all. I am a nebie. Now I know I should lurk first, but I have some serious work to do. I am in need of info. I am a psychic reader and over a year ago, I predicted something and this week it came to pass. It was only one of many things to follow. This is not the adverage prediction. I have these visions with images and the funny thing is, they come and stay on my bathroom wall or floor. Considering the attack the other day in London, this was the beginning of my prediction. I had a vision of the 5 Olympic rings and a man skiing in motion. The same day this attack occured, London won the bid for the next place for the Olymics. I found that a bid baffling. Yes, I know this is a weird post, but since I see this first piece falling into place, I need help with the other. I know they say history repeats itself. So, I stumbled across you group. The following things are what were in my vision next. I would appreciate any information on the history of Japan and the Vikings please. I did find that the Vikings were from England in the beginning. I think. London maybe?

Ok, on to the vision and symbols in my bathroom. I know it's weird, but please help me if you can with info.

The 5 Olympic rings and a man skiing in motion on my bathroom floor. The stickman with a stick through his head/globe? Looks like a globe more than a stickman. A Japenese soldier man with the wound and bandage over his right eye and across his nose, and a heavy Viking man in the back ground shaking his fists up in the air. An Eagle flying in motion with his wings spread. Blue dophins and Mother Teresa. A man with White glowing Angels coming out of his clothes. I know somehow all of these connect. Could this have been a prediction of a world attack? Using the Olympics as a battleground? There are so many more symbols and faces in my bathroom. And I wonder if these are the people eho are innocent bystanders or if they are the Angels and Guides of the innocent bystanders? This has me baffled and amazed! Never did I ever dream my Olympic rings and the Skiier would be so profound!

Any help would be fantastic please. Thank you.

-------------

Posted By: Menippos
Date Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 20:11

The Estonians call themselves "eestlane(plural eestlased)", sometimes "maarahvas".

"Maarahvas" meaning "people of the land"

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Posted By: the_ancient_lunatic
Date Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 01:15

I remember reading somehwere that a few Sami traveled around telling telling stories, or sagas....like traveling mintrel types.

...but now I can't find that reference....

Does anyone know if this is true?

-------------
...jag älskar mina svärd...

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 29-Aug-2005 at 02:34
On Sami genetics, a very interesting topic, Cavalli-Sforza (1996) says:

Lapps are genetically Europeans, but they are the ones that have the more differentiated genes from the rest of Europeans, almost for sure due to their partial trans-Uralian origin. Their genetic simmilitude with Europeans suggests that they were Uralic in origin and got very mixed with Northern Europeans (or vice versa: in any case the European element predominates in them). The other peoples that speak Uralic tongues in Northern Europe have almost no genetic mark of Uralic origin, but Finns, and even more Hungarians, show a very diffuse one (about 12% of Uralic genes among Hungarians).

Map of the 2nd Principal Component of the European Genome (vaguely attributed to Uralic origins and most concentrated in Lappland):

Genetic separation tree of Humankind. Notice how Sami (Lapones, sorry about the names in Spanish) are the most separated of all Caucasian groups, due precisely to their strong Nord-Asian mixture:
(Note: the Caucasic branch itself is considered to be the less purely Asian of all, due to early admixture with members of the African branch, probably in their original homeland of the Near East).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Inah
Date Posted: 27-Feb-2009 at 06:19

Hrodger

Quote:

"Are Finns and Estonians ashamed to be related to Sami?"

Had always felt that Saami and Karelians must have mixed once upon a time at least and had also always suspected some Saami 'bloodlines' in the family.

Now that relatives DNA-tests are coming in with lines that can be traced back to my g-g-grandmothers (on both sides), my suspicions have been validated.

Am I ashamed to be related to Saami ? No way ! If anything, I am so very proud of this connection. (Hence revitalized this old thread).

Shouldn't go calling myself Saami though, as "Saami" is very much a cultural-identity thing, but nevertheless this has helped me understand the psycho-spiritual connection which did become apparent with the Saami I have known.

I don't think that "our" (Saami-Karelian) ancestors discriminated between "races".  People were given names according to their lifestyles, according to their livelihoods. Have read that the term "Lapp" originally didn't mean Saami as such, the term was given to anyone who preferred to remain living the hunting and gathering lifestyle. (One side of my family was also given a name, and this was because they practiced agriculture supplemented by hunting and because of the particular Nature Deity they worshipped).

I also did read somewhere that with the arrival of more Germanic peoples later; - onto the scene, people became more "racially categorized".

Don't know, could be.

Sounds somewhat familiar anyway.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com