Print Page | Close Window

why the USA are not a democracy?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Scholarly Pursuits
Forum Name: Intellectual discussions
Forum Discription: Discuss political and philosophical theories, religious beliefs and other academic subjects
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5073
Printed Date: 24-Apr-2024 at 18:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: why the USA are not a democracy?
Posted By: ITAPEVI
Subject: why the USA are not a democracy?
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 12:08
Win Bush or Kerry , with larger amount of votes or only majority in the Electoral college, won't be a president chosen democraticamente.  It is explained:  the voters' portion that will vote for won't define for simple majority who will govern the most influential country of the world.  The largest evidence of the election in the United States is that it is not treated of a democracy.  The fundamental beginning of the liberalism  each head a vote  he/she doesn't exist in that there.  In the previous election, a president that had less votes than his/her opponent triumphed Plus than that:  the political parties are not to promote the right of the individuals' citizenship, but they are constituted in filters that only allow that you/they run for office the ones that count with the support of the great economical groups of the pasBasta to say that to participate in the internal elections of the great parties in 50 States of the country, candidate needs disposal many million of dollars, to be present in the State, to do campaign and to have a result that accredits him/it to compete to the presidency.  By chance they are not members of the same traditional elites  of the east or of the west  the ones that are happened in the presidency of the country.  As Millor Fernandes says  it is right that Lincoln, a woodcutter, arrived to be president of the USA, but ever since no other woodcutter arrived minimamente close to occupying that position.
Now, for the first time in the history of the USA, it can be chosen the first senator negroMais than that:  the political parties are not to promote the right of the individuals' citizenship, but they are constituted in filters that only allow that you/they run for office the ones that count with the support of the great economical groups of the country

-------------
MORUMBI

Replies:
Posted By: Emperor Barbarossa
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 15:32
Itapevi, tell me how many times other than the year 2000 that the popular vote did not decide the president? Only one other time. The Electoral College is a load of crap, but it usually, as in about 95% of the time, reflects the popular vote. The system should be ended, but if, as you say, the US is not a democracy, then what is it? The voice of the people is usually heard. I think what the US needs to destroy this two-sided party system and get some others. One for moderates, one for liberal elitists, one for liberals, one for conservatives, and one for extreme conservatives, you get the idea. The people do vote democratically for their state representatives. Campaigning is wrong though that politicians need to do whatever their financial backers want them to do.

-------------

Posted By: Winterhaze13
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 16:32
The U.S.,and the rest of the Western world for that matter is not a democracy because the minority (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants) rule everyone else.

-------------
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

Posted By: strategos
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 16:36

Originally posted by Winterhaze13

The U.S.,and the rest of the Western world for that matter is not a democracy because the minority (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants) rule everyone else.

Considering that they are usually the MAJORITY in most if not ALL of these countries, mainly US I am talking about, it would make sense that they would be holding alot of the higher parts of the governemtn sheerly because of numbers.

-------------
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html

Posted By: Thegeneral
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 17:02

We ARE the majority.  And if we weren't, how could we hold so much power. 

And if you were hoping to have a jewish or athiest president or leader, good luck.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 17:06

-------------
MORUMBI

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 18:38
Why the heck did you post that picture? For what purpose does that do for your argument? Is she a white Protestant or something? Is it just me or does anybody else feel the same?

-------------

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 19:47

Dont worry, all his posts are really scitzo and make no sense.

Personally the electoral college and the two party system I feel is the least democratic thing a country could have.  How can two near identical parties be any better than one?  Its not.  Washington said this country should hav eno political parties, although I dont think there should be none, i think the more, the merrier.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 19:57
Originally posted by Thegeneral

We ARE the majority.  And if we weren't, how could we hold so much power.

Actually under Saddam, the Sunni Arabs, at only 20% of the population of Iraq, controlled the country. Its not unusual to have the minority population as the ruling class, especially in countries that America has secretly conquered. Iraq's current president is a Kurd, so i rest my case.

Originally posted by EmperorBarbarossa

Itapevi, tell me how many times other than the year 2000 that the popular vote did not decide the president?

In 1876, Rutherford Hayes (R) was running against Samuel Tilden (D) in the presidential elections. 3 States had 2 different sets of votes, which is obviously a result of election-rigging. When their electoral votes were tied, they went to congress to hold a vote there. Time after time it was a deadlock, and no one could seem to decide who the next president was. So both sides met up at a very fancy hotel, and decided that Tilden's votes would go to Hayes, as long as he helps out the post-civil war South (at this time, democrats adamantly supported the Southern States). So Hayes responded by pulling the Union troops out of the South, ending post-war reconstruction, which as a result basically left the south in the same socio-economic class separation based on race, as it was before the civil war. This event is known as the Compromise of 1877.

Not too democratic if you ask me. And if you think things in America are radically different today, then i wouldnt want to wake you from your dream. Democracy is only given to the people when it is CONVENIENT for the state to do so. Many instances in history show that when the state has other needs that are more important to them than the people ($$$$), then democracy is suddenly taken away. The Patriot Act passes during the same time we invade Iraq....if you dont see a connection then i dont know what else to say.

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 20:10
Yeah, I have seen some of his posts, some that are closed right now, I agree with Tobodai. As for two parties, I agree with Tobodai. I would rather have over five than have two big ones where if you don't vote for either candidate your vote doesn't really matter at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 21:21
Originally posted by Tobodai

Personally the electoral college and the two party system I feel is the least democratic thing a country could have.  How can two near identical parties be any better than one?  Its not.  Washington said this country should hav eno political parties, although I dont think there should be none, i think the more, the merrier.

I've suffered from depression since I was a teenager and I just would like someone to talk to. I am trying to get on disability right now. I had a hearing and i'm waiting for a response. I have no car and I live in a small town with hardly anything so i'm not able to get to a therapist or doctor. My family doesn't listen to me or understand me and think i'm stupid for trying to get on disability when i should be working. I've tried to work and I just can't. I get very little support and I'm always arguing with my family and most of the time i feel like slitting my wrists and ending this misery! I just would like someone who understands what i'm going through!

-------------
MORUMBI

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 06:04
The truth is that the US need more parties,more voices.Having only 2 parties for 290.000.000 population is certainly practical but it does not help democracy.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 07:09

It is my understanding that in most Western countries, White Anglo-Saxons Protestants are not the rulers.
But if by 'Western' you actualy meant North American, then maybe you have a point.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 07:46

I don't like two-party systems myself. However, since the constitution makes no mention of them - and indeed the founding fathers were anti the whole idea of political parties, it's interesting how they actually come to arise.

There are a couple of reasons. The technical one is the 'first-past-the-post' voting system in single-member constitutencies, a system shared by Britain, which has also suffered from two-party rule. Multi-party systems almost invariably use some form of proportional representation for electing parliaments or congresses. You can't easily do that in a presidential election of course, though you could have a re-run system like Louisiana does for senators (and France does for Presidents).

Possibly more important though, and this also applies to Britain, is that the majority of people who vote do so from habit (when they do vote: around half of Americans don't). They vote the same way every time, twisting the issues to justify their choice, rather than making theit choice based upon the issues - or even on the candidate's qualifications.

As a result parties perpetuate, except in very rare circumstances of social upheaval.

The people who actually vote rationally in elections form a small minority. So how can one argue that a system that provides for the majority of voters (saving them having to think) is undemocratic?

It would surely be elitist and oligarchic to have a system that was preferred by the minority that are looking for a rational political system?

The two-party system hasn't been foisted on people. It's their democratic choice.

(And, incidentally, I do think the primary system helps the situation in the US. I'd like to see something more like it used in the UK.)

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 07:54
The two-party system hasn't been foisted on people. It's their democratic choice.

But don't you think a system that encourages tactival voting would merely further this end?
Some people would vote for alternatives if they felt that there was a viable chance of them getting in to government, but as it is, they instead vote for the lesser of the two evils.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: kotumeyil
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 12:42
Originally posted by ITAPEVI

I've suffered from depression since I was a teenager and I just would like someone to talk to. I am trying to get on disability right now. I had a hearing and i'm waiting for a response. I have no car and I live in a small town with hardly anything so i'm not able to get to a therapist or doctor. My family doesn't listen to me or understand me and think i'm stupid for trying to get on disability when i should be working. I've tried to work and I just can't. I get very little support and I'm always arguing with my family and most of the time i feel like slitting my wrists and ending this misery! I just would like someone who understands what i'm going through!

Itapevi, I see that you are in depression. I was in depression one and a half year ago and I could get rid of it. I don't know if I can help you, but if you want you can send PMs to me. I'll be glad to listen to you... and please take the thought of suicide out of your mind...

-------------
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">

Posted By: hugoestr
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 12:46

Personally the electoral college and the two party system I feel is the least democratic thing a country could have. How can two near identical parties be any better than one? Its not. Washington said this country should hav eno political parties, although I dont think there should be none, i think the more, the merrier.

I've suffered from depression since I was a teenager and I just would like someone to talk to. I am trying to get on disability right now. I had a hearing and i'm waiting for a response. I have no car and I live in a small town with hardly anything so i'm not able to get to a therapist or doctor. My family doesn't listen to me or understand me and think i'm stupid for trying to get on disability when i should be working. I've tried to work and I just can't. I get very little support and I'm always arguing with my family and most of the time i feel like slitting my wrists and ending this misery! I just would like someone who understands what i'm going through!

There are support forums for people with depression and social anxiety, which commonly go together--on the net. Google it and you will find them.

Good luck with your condition.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 12:52

As for the topic, I think the Anglo-Saxon type of government is a pseudo-democracy. You have to elect your leaders among two main parties, which dominate the national politics. Especially after the end of the Cold War very few parties could present alternative social and political projects. Neo-liberalism dominates the world. You aren't allowed to question capitalism. So peoples elect their leaders according to their personal characteristics.... Also, most important decisions are taken by the multi-national financial capital owners. So the representative liberal democracy is in crisis. And the government  by the "demos" is an illusion...

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 13:21
I think the Anglo-Saxon type of government is a pseudo-democracy. You have to elect your leaders among two main parties, which dominate the national politics.

Define 'Anglo-saxon type of government'.
British and American systems of government are very different.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 14:22

Originally posted by Cywr

It is my understanding that in most Western countries, White Anglo-Saxons Protestants are not the rulers.
But if by 'Western' you actualy meant North American, then maybe you have a point.

Europe is largely the same case. Let's not try to reinforce the Europe-American rivalry. I don't believe in it.

-------------

-- Voltaire

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 14:23
Originally posted by strategos

Considering that they are usually the MAJORITY in most if not ALL of these countries, mainly US I am talking about, it would make sense that they would be holding alot of the higher parts of the governemtn sheerly because of numbers.

Hispanics and blacks now outnumber white Americans. Maybe you should do your research more effectively. 

-------------

-- Voltaire

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 14:47

I am sorry to hear about your condition, I have an autistic brother myself that that has to go through some depression, but not as close as yours. As said earlier, there are many support forums on the internet that you could join and may be a help to you.

-------------

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 14:49

Hispanics and blacks now outnumber white Americans. Maybe you should do your research more effectively. 

Er, ehhmmm. Your off bud. Whitey is still numerically the predominant racial identity in the US.

-------------

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 15:07
Originally posted by Seko

Er, ehhmmm. Your off bud. Whitey is still numerically the predominant racial identity in the US.

African Americans are about 10% of the U.S. population; Hispanics about the same, but with a higher birth rate and immigration rate.  The vast majority are of European ancestry, Protestant or Catholic.  W.A.S.P.s predominate in the south, but are vastly different from New England and New York WASPS in both background and outlook.

Catholics predominate in many industrial/urban areas; Protestants in those more rural, but there is enormous interaction and intermarriage among them (including my own family). 

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 15:09
W.A.S.P's are what make up the USA so it is understandable to have most of the government of the same group.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 15:11
Also, I can't remember the last time anyone gave a crap about the religion of a political candidate in an election of any importance....Maybe Kennedy in 1960, but he won as a Catholic......Certainly no WASP.

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 15:26

I think the Anglo-Saxon type of government is a pseudo-democracy. You have to elect your leaders among two main parties, which dominate the national politics.

Define 'Anglo-saxon type of government'.
British and American systems of government are very different.

In the Anglo-Saxon type of government there are two or three dominant - traditional parties. Ex: Republicans - Democrats or Conservatives-liberals-workers' party. You cannot imagine that any other parites can be effective in the government. In the continental European style of government more parties, which can be also very marginal, can be effective at some degree. But I think, in terms of democracy, there isn't a much big difference. As  said in my previous post, especially after the cold war, few parties could present an alternative social and political project. The left wing parties accepted neoliberalism without questioning and they only wanted a softened version of it ( You know the "Third Way" syndrom). Again as I said in my previous post, the representative liberal democracy is in crisis, because you elect your governors within certain boundaries but the vital decisions which determine the world's fate are taken by a few global actors (especially the owners of financial capital). That's why I think that today the concept of democracy is very illusive and deceiving... I mean no more the "demos" rules about the vital issues...  

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 15:37

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Also, I can't remember the last time anyone gave a crap about the religion of a political candidate in an election of any importance....Maybe Kennedy in 1960, but he won as a Catholic......Certainly no WASP.

People may not consciensly think about religion, but it is a major factor.   There was a poll that asked, would you vote for a Jewish or Athiest candidate for president.  The vast majority said they would not, and it is completly understandable.  Religion is what bases many of the candidates platforms.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 16:08
Europe is largely the same case. Let's not try to reinforce the Europe-American rivalry. I don't believe in it.

Same case as what? Ruled by Anglo-Saxon Protestants?
And WTF does European-American rivalry got to do with this? You claimed that Most Western countries are ruled by 'WASPs', never mind the fact that this is a phrase that only has currency in N. America, i'm intrested in knowing how most European countries are ruled by a WASP minority.

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html#People - white 81.7%, black 12.9%, Asian 4.2%, Amerindian and Alaska native 1%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.2% (2003 est.)
note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.)

What was that about research?
And even if you were right about the US, what about the rest of the 'west'?

In the Anglo-Saxon type of government there are two or three dominant - traditional parties. Ex: Republicans - Democrats or Conservatives-liberals-workers' party.

There is nothing exclusicly 'Anglo-Saxon' about that.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 16:41
It never said that W.A.S.P's ran Europe too, I see how that can be misleading to through the stupidity of some.

-------------

-- Voltaire

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 16:42

And according to The Economist Hispanics will by 2020 be the majority of Americans.

-------------

-- Voltaire

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 17:03

It never said that W.A.S.P's ran Europe too, I see how that can be misleading to through the stupidity of some.

Originally posted by Winterhaze12

To which i suggested that perhaps by 'west' you merely meant N. America, or just the US, and you went off with your Europe-America rivalry crap.

I believe the estimate was for 2050, for a non-white (excluding hispanic whites) majority, still, it doesn't really help your claim that the West (or perhaps just the US) isn't a democracy.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 17:07

And according to The Economist by 2030 white Americans will only be 54% and by 2050 they will be a minority.

-------------

-- Voltaire

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 17:10
I see i was right.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 18:54
lame predictions btw, I wouldn't take them too seriously.
2050 is still 45 years away, you'd never know what will happen in the next 45 years.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 18:56
For all we know the world could have blown itself up by then.   It is very hard to predict such things so far from now.

-------------

Posted By: strategos
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 19:46

You have no knowledge, my friend. Ethnics in the USA

white 81.7%, black 12.9%, Asian 4.2%, Amerindian and Alaska native 1%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.2% (2003 est.)
note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.)

-------------
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 20:00
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

lame predictions btw, I wouldn't take them too seriously.
2050 is still 45 years away, you'd never know what will happen in the next 45 years.

Media sensationalism, but from present statistics, assuming no change (yeah right), that swhat would happen.
Most national censuses don't bother with anything longer than 25 year projections (and there are multiple, its a range that tries to take in to account different possible outcomes), as its expensive and time consuming and the longer the time peroid, the less reliable.
One thing is for sure, there will be more people that identify as being Hispanic in the US, and that an increasing number of them won't even speak Spanish.
And to think i could well have ended up with a job doing this

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 20:56

I heard that in Kennedy's time, people thought that he would take orders from the Pope on what to do .

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 21:40

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I heard that in Kennedy's time, people thought that he would take orders from the Pope on what to do .

Americans don't make the best Catholics.  They have never liked being told what to do!  

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 08:36

In the Anglo-Saxon type of government there are two or three dominant - traditional parties. Ex: Republicans - Democrats or Conservatives-liberals-workers' party.

There is nothing exclusicly 'Anglo-Saxon' about that.

While that's true in principle, de facto the Anglo-Saxon countries do tend to have two parties that alternate in power, in the US since the 1860s and in the UK since the 1920s (and before that you can go back to the 18th century).

Perhaps it should be put more broadly, saying that countries that inherited their political traditions from Britain tend to have two parties (including Ireland and India for instance). It's not just ex-colonies: two-party Germany and Japan copied the UK in their post-WWII constitutions.

I'm not sure why this should be. I guess it would make a thread on its own.

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 08:45
Originally posted by gcle2003

Perhaps it should be putmore broadly, saying that countries that inherited their political traditions from Britain tend to have two parties (including Ireland and India for instance). It's not just ex-colonies: two-party Germany and Japan copied the UK in their post-WWII constitutions.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Could you please elaborate! Thanks.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 09:58
I'm not sure they did, Germany has largely been coalition governments, so it is i think, a bad example. France is a good one though, it has for the msot part been dominated by two major parties.
But this is popularism, nothing to do with 'Anglo-Saxon' crap.
And India isn't a two party system in the vein of the US, or of the UK (which differes from the US in that those two dominant parties fluctuate) for that matter, it has a much stronger regional influence which means that major parties often have to form coalitions with smaller ones in order to gain government.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 11:37
In France, non-mainstream parties can be effective from time to time but in US and UK this isn't the case...

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 11:40
By the way, this "Anglo-Saxon (or Anglo-American) tradition" notion is used in the comperative government courses of political science departments...

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 12:30

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Americans don't make the best Catholics.  They have never liked being told what to do!  

You are right. I am a Catholic myself but I am not one of those "Pope is second to Christ" kind of people. You are right, we Americans don't like authority. Look at the Whiskey Rebellion and the American Revolution.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 12:34
In France, non-mainstream parties can be effective from time to time but in US and UK this isn't the case...

In local government they can, and in Parliament you have the lib-dems, as well as the regional parties (Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland), which you don't have in the US.

By the way, this "Anglo-Saxon (or Anglo-American) tradition" notion is used in the comperative government courses of political science departments...

Strange then that i was taught about the difference between the US Execetive Democracy, and the British Parliamentry Model, in such a Political Economy course.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 12:42

Fact:

-------------
MORUMBI

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 12:46
Are you running a promo for everything.com there?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 15:34

Nice pictues! Could you please tell us their purpose. Is it because you are proud to be a journalist or something?

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 17:24

In local government they can, and in Parliament you have the lib-dems, as well as the regional parties (Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland), which you don't have in the US.

Strange then that i was taught about the difference between the US Execetive Democracy, and the British Parliamentry Model, in such a Political Economy course.

Of course there are many differences. At least UK is a kingdom! Also presidency, constitution issue (no written constitution in the UK), etc.  You know, it's just a rough classification... US and UK usually have some different ways of doing something. Just an example: the social sciences. For instance, they rely more on statistical data rather than theoretical comments, etc... But you know all these classifications are rough. I don't see much difference between the styles of representative liberal democracy. I explained my reasons before... 

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 19:14

Nice pictues! Could you please tell us their purpose. Is it because you are proud to be a journalist or something?

you are ridiculous. A sad joke.

The US invaded Europe to destroy Hitler because it had no choice. After Pearl Harbour Hitler declared war on the United States. It was one of his greatest mistakes.

Trying to present Okinawa as the US sacrificing lives for the liberation of others is just absurd and shows how idiotic your opinions are. The Americans had to make war on Japan, again, it had no choice. The Japanese had already invaded and enslaved most of South East Asia, D, while America did nothing.

-------------
MORUMBI

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 19:55

hmmmmm

Seko !! what did you say?

To be Honest iam one of ITAPEVI's posts biggest fans

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 20:20
PASHA IS sahte AMERIKALI  , , ,

-------------
MORUMBI

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 06:26

PASHA IS sahte AMERIKALI  , , ,

Did you mean kotumeyil?

If you meant so, What's the relevance? "PASHA IS sahte AMERIKALI" means "pasha is a fake American" and of course I am not! And why do you write in Turkish? I'm really confused!

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 08:08
Originally posted by Komnenos

Originally posted by gcle2003

Perhaps it should be put more broadly, saying that countries that inherited their political traditions from Britain tend to have two parties (including Ireland and India for instance). It's not just ex-colonies: two-party Germany and Japan copied the UK in their post-WWII constitutions.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Could you please elaborate! Thanks.

Both of them went for systems in which the head of state is distinct from the head of government, and the head of government is responsible to (and elected by, and must be a member of) the lower house of parliament (which has two houses).

It's true that that system had historical antecedents in both countries, so it may be coming it a bit strong to say they 'copied the UK' rather than saying they 'adopted constitutions similar to that of the UK'.  But it is at least arguable that during the second Reich and the Meiji period they were to some extent consciously copying Britain.

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 08:28

I'm not sure they did, Germany has largely been coalition governments, so it is i think, a bad example.

But the coalitions have been some grouping of two major parties and two very minor ones, one of which is very recent. That is in fact also true of the UK, in which the Unionists, for instance, have always been minority partners of the Conservatives.

Minor parties get more play with proportional representation, as I pointed out initially.

France is a good one though, it has for the msot part been dominated by two major parties.

Which two would they be?

These were the results of the last French presidential election (numbers are percentages of votes in the two rounds):

Jacques Chirac - Rally for the Republic 19.9 82.2
Jean-Marie le Pen - National Front 16.9 17.8
Lionel Jospin - Socialist Party 16.2 -
Franois Bayrou -Union for the French Democracy 6.8 -
Arlette Laguiller - Workers' Struggle 5.7 -
Jean-Pierre Chevnement - Republican Pole 5.3 -
Nol Mamre - The Greens 5.2 -
Olivier Besancenot - Revolutionary Communist League 4.2 -
Jean Saint-Josse -Hunting, Fishing, Nature, Tradition 4.2 -
Alain Madelin - Liberal Democracy 3.9 -
Robert Hue - French Communist Party 3.4 -
Bruno Mgret - Republican National Movement 2.3 -
Christiane Taubira - Left Radical Party 2.3 -
Corinne Lepage - Citizenship Action Participation for the 21st Century 1.9 -
Christine Boutin - Forum of Social Republicans 1.2 -
Daniel Gluckstein - Workers' Party 0.5 -

Doesn't look much like a two-party system to me.

But this is popularism, nothing to do with 'Anglo-Saxon' crap.
And India isn't a two party system in the vein of the US, or of the UK (which differes from the US in that those two dominant parties fluctuate)

They haven't fluctuated in the UK since the US was formed any more than they have in the US. since 1830-odd a minor party has become a major one just once in the US and once in the UK.

for that matter, it has a much stronger regional influence which means that major parties often have to form coalitions with smaller ones in order to gain government.

Yes, but the lead is held always by Congress or the BJP.

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 09:24
The two major French parties are the socialist party, and the UMP. Remove le Pen (teh last election was the first time that they gained that degree of popularity), and you have your two main parties though out much of recent French political history.

They haven't fluctuated in the UK since the US was formed any more than they have in the US. since 1830-odd a minor party has become a major one just once in the US and once in the UK.

The decline of the liberals and subsequent drift into obscurity followed by a come back in the 90s, and the rise of Labour in the post year wars? Thats fluctuation, one of the two main parties went away, and a different one replaced it.
The US has been Democrats Vs Republicans from day one.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 14:09
[QUOTE=Cywr]The two major French parties are the socialist party, and the UMP. Remove le Pen (teh last election was the first time that they gained that degree of popularity), and you have your two main parties though out much of recent French political history.

You are unaware of how the major parties are composed. They are already
> coalitions of different interests. There have already been "coalition
> negotiations" within the major parties to form their policy viewpoints.

I agree...and I could never tell whtehr my major party MP was one of the
stripes I supported...or one if the stripes I did not support.

-------------
MORUMBI

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 14:56

you are ridiculous. A sad joke.

The US invaded Europe to destroy Hitler because it had no choice. After Pearl Harbour Hitler declared war on the United States. It was one of his greatest mistakes.

Trying to present Okinawa as the US sacrificing lives for the liberation of others is just absurd and shows how idiotic your opinions are. The Americans had to make war on Japan, again, it had no choice. The Japanese had already invaded and enslaved most of South East Asia, D, while America did nothing.

Huh? Stick to the question and maintain your composure. Show us the behaviors of a professional journalist, with integrity and class.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 15:52

Fact:

Many Americans (not all) seem to think that the USA is a Democracy. It isn't; it is a Republic.

It may seem like I am being pedantic here, but there is a real difference between the two forms of government.

A republic is the rule of the people by an elected body of officials (and an elected head of state). Once they have been elected you, the people, have no real control over them. They can do whatever they want so long as they don't break the law. They don't have to keep campaign promises (although it helps if they want to get reelected)

A democracy is the rule of the people by the people. That means anyone can vote on anything (or, indeed, Everything). All votes are open to the public; if you disagree with foreign policy then you can vote to change it, etc.

The distinction between the two is hardly subtleIBIRAPUERA

You are wrong about the two froms. The "democracy" you are talking about is a representative democracy. The US has to many people to vote on every single issue so it does not work well here. Anyways, what is with your obsession with posting pictures that have no relevance whatsoever to your argument. I thought there was an advertising topic on this site.  I do not think that any of the bigger nations in Europe have a representative democracy. The reason we don't let people do such things here in America is because we have 280 million people. Think of millions of people voting on the issues instead of the people they elected to do that. Why have all the hassle. If the US had a small population of below 10 million, a representative democracy would make sense, but not in the huge nation it is today.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 18:32
You are unaware of how the major parties are composed. They are already
> coalitions of different interests. There have already been "coalition
> negotiations" within the major parties to form their policy viewpoints.

I'm well aware, France is like India that way, and if India is a two party system, then so is France.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 04:22

The two major French parties are the socialist party, and the UMP. Remove le Pen (teh last election was the first time that they gained that degree of popularity), and you have your two main parties though out much of recent French political history.

But even Chirac's party got less than 20% of the vote in the first round. The first THREE parties (including le Pen)  only had 53% of the vote.

It's true that in the second round of presidential elections one andidate is usually rightish, and the other leftish. However, under the Fifth Republic there have been six presidents, every one of them from a different party.

De Gaulle  UNR - Union for a New Republic

Pompidou  UDR - Union for a Rural Democracy

D'Estaing  UDF - Union for French Democracy

Mitterand  Socialist

Chirac       UMP - Union for a Popular Movement

The decline of the liberals and subsequent drift into obscurity followed by a come back in the 90s, and the rise of Labour in the post year wars? Thats fluctuation, one of the two main parties went away, and a different one replaced it.

Yes that's what I said.

The US has been Democrats Vs Republicans from day one.

No it hasn't. The Republican party was founded in July 1854 in Jackson, Michigan.  It eventually replaced the Whig party, which had had four presidents since 1840 (one not serving a full term).

There was even a period when the US was de factor a one-party state. In 1824 all the candidates for president came from the same party, Jefferson's Democratic-Republicans, which provided all the four presidents in a row from 1800-1828.  Andrew Jackson won the 1828 election for the new Democratic party, which isn't far off when the Conservative party was formed in the UK.

Generally speaking the two countries are about the same in their record of fluctuations.

Edited before replied to to add the list of French Presidents.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com