Print Page | Close Window

conquest of attila the hun

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Steppe Nomads and Central Asia
Forum Discription: Nomads such as the Scythians, Huns, Turks & Mongols, and kingdoms of Central Asia
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4767
Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 21:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: conquest of attila the hun
Posted By: attiladecendant
Subject: conquest of attila the hun
Date Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 03:56
hey anyone got info (maps etc. . .) on the conquests of attila and his uncle?

-------------
shinobi

Replies:
Posted By: Raider
Date Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 04:03

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 04:13

just curiosity, do the magars accept Atilla as they ancestor?

Posted By: Feramez
Date Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 10:21
Yes a lot do, we even have a couple Magyars in this forum that do.  A few months ago a group of Magyars in Hungary attempted to gain recognition from the government as an official ethnic group.  They failed, I think because they didn't have enough people to back them up.

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 10:44
No, I mean as a whole people, If I am not wrong, Huns didnt return back, they stayed hungary.

Date Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 11:48
No, I don't think so, other than the group of people in Hungary.  A lot of Huns did return to Asia once Atilla died.  I guess they just assimilated into Turk or Mongol culture.

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 12:00
The Huns in europe were never very numerous in the first place, probably about 10,000 according to some estimates. Local barbarians far outnumbered the Huns in the Hunnic empire. So when their empire collapsed, it's difficulty to trace where the orignal Huns went. Some say they merged with the Magyars after moving back into Asia.

-------------

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 14:57
Raider, how accurate is that map?

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: doorman
Date Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 17:36
Didn't the Huns end up becoming  the Bulgars?  As I recall the  Bulgars  split into two groups, one became th Volga Bulgars settling  around the Volga river east of Moscow and the other settled  in Bulgaria.

Posted By: Scytho-Sarmatian
Date Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 06:24
Originally posted by Degredado

That's a sweet map--nicely done.  I once saw a similar map that even included what is now Denmark and southern Sweden within Attila's domain.  So, there seems to be some debate as to the accuracy of drawing maps of Attila's empire.  However, based on the available historical sources, Raider's map reflects the general consensus regarding borders.

Posted By: gok_toruk
Date Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 14:31
Dear Doorman,
   Hi there. Well, I was going to ask similar question. Bulgars also claim to be Hun desendant. Some other Eastern Europeans do the same too. Anyhow, they're all related to each other, aren't they? Their culture, their languages are alike. Take care...

-------------
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 17:35
I don't think there's a way to answer that question in terms of ethnology because we're not sure what the Hunnic ethnicity really is. If we are to define Huns are people who came from the Central steppes, then it would be highly improbably that Bulgars have much trace of Hunnic descent. On the other hand, it is possible that ancestors of the Bulgars were part of the Hunnic Empire. So in that respect, it is understandable for many eastern European to claim a link to the Huns.

A similar case is with the Byzantines and the Russian Romanovs claiming linkage to the Romans, while not being people of the "Latin" ethnicity. In fact, I would bet that even in the Roman Empire itself, Latin ethnicity was less than 5%.

People like to take advantage of the fact that some of these empires were very large, while not fully respecting the fact that they contained a diverse group of people.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 19:28
The Bulgars also came from the steppe, so it's very possible they're descendents of the Huns.

Posted By: Belisarius
Date Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 23:06
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

A similar case is with the Byzantines and the Russian Romanovs claiming linkage to the Romans, while not being people of the "Latin" ethnicity. In fact, I would bet that even in the Roman Empire itself, Latin ethnicity was less than 5%.

People like to take advantage of the fact that some of these empires were very large, while not fully respecting the fact that they contained a diverse group of people.

This is true. The Hunnic Empire itself was made of very few Huns. The common folk of the empire was largely comprised of Germanic tribes, Dacians and perhaps Slavs as well.

As for the Roman Empire, a theory of mine is that the genuine Latin ethnicity ceased to exist early in its history. It was Roman practice to send Romans to newly conquered lands to make the people more accepting of Roman rule. As the people of Latium were dispersed into the new provinces, newly conquered people came to Latium, and soon there were no 'Latins', only Latin speakers.

The reason why the Byzantines and, to a lesser extent, the Russians claimed lineage to the Roman Empire is not because of race. The Byzantines based the structure of their society upon the original Roman model, and in turn, the Russians based the structure of their society on the Byzantines. So logically, the Russians could trace their lineage back to Rome.

-------------

Posted By: gok_toruk
Date Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 02:48
Yeah, Bulgars came from the steppes; what's more their language is sometimes classifed as a sub- family of Ural- Altaic group.

-------------
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.

Posted By: Turkic10
Date Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 18:54

I don't think there's a way to answer that question in terms of ethnology because we're not sure what the Hunnic ethnicity really is. If we are to define Huns are people who came from the Central steppes, then it would be highly improbably that Bulgars have much trace of Hunnic descent. On the other hand, it is possible that ancestors of the Bulgars were part of the Hunnic Empire. So in that respect, it is understandable for many eastern European to claim a link to the Huns.

The Romanovs claiming Roman linkage when in reality they were of Viking decent. What ever works I guess!  

-------------
Admonish your friends privately, praise them publicly.

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 03:57
Originally posted by Mortaza

just curiosity, do the magars accept Atilla as they ancestor?

No, I mean as a whole people, If I am not wrong, Huns didnt return back, they stayed hungary.

1. Well in medieval chronicles he is a Hungarian king. In modern times yes, he is accepted as an mythic ancestor.

2. As much as I know the bulk of the hun population was never lived in the territory of later Hungary. Most of them remained their "original" homeland north of the Black Sea.

Originally posted by Degredado

I have failed to find reliable and precise sources. I think this map and the other are merely a speculation.

Originally posted by doorman

Didn't the Huns end up becoming  the Bulgars?  As I recall the  Bulgars  split into two groups, one became th Volga Bulgars settling  around the Volga river east of Moscow and the other settled  in Bulgaria.

Yes they are. This is the base of the theory that Attila and the Árpáds related. The before conquest Árpáds married noble bulgarian women possibly the descendants of Attila. Latest historians reject this theory because of the lack of definite evidences.

Posted By: the Bulgarian
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 01:21

Originally posted by doorman

Actually, they split into 5 groups led by khan Asparuh and his 4 brothers. Aparuh's Bulgars settled around the Danube and established the First Bulgarian empire in 681. Kuber's Bulgars settled in Macedonia. They both mixed heavily with the slavs and were united in one state by khan Krum, who annexed Macedonia to Bulgaria. He is the khan, who annexed Sofia, our modern capital, to the Bulgarian empire.

Khan Asparuh's biggest brother - Bayan, settled around the Volga and became leader of the Volga Bulgars.

One of his brothers, I don't remember who exactly, even made it to northern Italy, but the Bulgars there were assimilated. The other two made it to the Baltic coast and modern day Poland, but the Bulgars there were also assimilated from the locals and vanished from the historic scene.

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 03:25
Originally posted by the Bulgarian

Khan Asparuh's biggest brother - Bayan, settled around the Volga and became leader of the Volga Bulgars.

They were accompanied by a group of Hungarians who lived with them. Medieval Hungarian chornicles mention their place as Magna Hungaria.Somewhere here:

In the first tierce of the XIII. century a Hungarian monk named Julianus found them and he was able to speak them in Hungarian language. On his second journey he found them devastated. The mongols detroyed them. According to linguist there are still Hungarian toponyms at this region.

Posted By: the Bulgarian
Date Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 12:03
I do know that Bulgarians and Hungarians have some sort of a relationship between them. I red it in a site, but can't remember it. Does anyone have any info about this?

Posted By: minchickie
Date Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 17:44

"just curiosity, do the magars accept Atilla as they ancestor?"

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone in my family is named Attila and i will name my son Attila too one day!!!!

The land that my horse has rode there shall be not a grass again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the other magyar on here, whether you like to believe it or not, Magyars are mixed in with HUNS!!!! It will take many many MANYYYY  more generations to loose those genes!

-------------

Posted By: Belisarius
Date Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 18:14
I do not know how much credit I should give this, but I once heard a story that the Huns and Magyars left the steppes together but were seperated. The Huns reached Europe first, and the Magyars wandered for centuries before being able to enter Europe. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 18:21
The origin of the MAGYARS

theme -----------Finno-Ugric------Central-Asia / Carpathian Basin-----
own ancient -----------------------------------X (Codexes, historial notes)
Language-------------X--------------------------- (ONLY A hypothese, NOT PROVEN)
Genetic-------------------------------------------X (haven't data for HUNS/SCYTH./AVARS
Relation in history of
Asiatic peoples---------------------------------X
Folk------------------------------------------------X (HUN, scythian,avar type)
Structure of society---------------------------X (hun, scythian,avar type: twice)
Writing--------------------------------------------X (runes, equivalent with HUNS)
Origin Faith -------------------------------------X (hun, scythian,avar type)
Fightstyle-----------------------------------------X (hun, scythian,avar type)
Ornament-----------------------------------------X (hun, scythian,avar type)
Archeology ---------------------------------------X (hun,scythian,avar type)
Costume------------------------------------------X (hun,scythian,avar type)
Music----------------------------------------------X ( : Central+South Asia,.
popular-song-------------------------------------X (pentaton (la) Central+South Asia)
folk-tale/ballads---------------------------------X (Central-+ South Asia.)

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 03:27

"Language-------------X--------------------------- (ONLY A hypothese, NOT PROVEN) "

It is proven.

Posted By: Kenaney
Date Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 07:47

Originally posted by minchickie

The origin of the MAGYARS

theme -----------Finno-Ugric------Central-Asia / Carpathian Basin-----
own ancient -----------------------------------X (Codexes, historial notes)
Language-------------X--------------------------- (ONLY A hypothese, NOT PROVEN)
Genetic-------------------------------------------X (haven't data for HUNS/SCYTH./AVARS
Relation in history of
Asiatic peoples---------------------------------X
Folk------------------------------------------------X (HUN, scythian,avar type)
Structure of society---------------------------X (hun, scythian,avar type: twice)
Writing--------------------------------------------X (runes, equivalent with HUNS)
Origin Faith -------------------------------------X (hun, scythian,avar type)
Fightstyle-----------------------------------------X (hun, scythian,avar type)
Ornament-----------------------------------------X (hun, scythian,avar type)
Archeology ---------------------------------------X (hun,scythian,avar type)
Costume------------------------------------------X (hun,scythian,avar type)
Music----------------------------------------------X ( : Central+South Asia,.
popular-song-------------------------------------X (pentaton (la) Central+South Asia)
folk-tale/ballads---------------------------------X (Central-+ South Asia.)

I know you may right, but persians out here claim that Scythians where persian people how reard it sounds (their capital city whas in altaic mountans). What you or Raider gonna say about that?

-------------
OUT OF LIMIT

Date Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 07:59

Kenaney:

As much as I know the scythian were of iraninan origin. I think Minchickie spoke  about their culture.

Posted By: Kenaney
Date Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 08:24
ah, thanks

-------------
OUT OF LIMIT

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 08:36
Iranians dont claim Scythians were Persians. They claim all Scythians were Iranians. They're partly right, Scythians of Caspian-Black Sea steppes were Iranians. But we say that the Saka, Saka of Central Asia (from Maverannahr to Mongolia) were a mix of Turkic and Iranic people, with Turkish rulers.

-------------

Posted By: Scytho-Sarmatian
Date Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 09:05
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Iranians dont claim Scythians were Persians. They claim all Scythians were Iranians. They're partly right, Scythians of Caspian-Black Sea steppes were Iranians. But we say that the Saka, Saka of Central Asia (from Maverannahr to Mongolia) were a mix of Turkic and Iranic people, with Turkish rulers.

Fair enough; at least you are saying the eastern Saka were a mix of both peoples, not strictly one or the other.  Also, I would not be so quick to make a hard and fast seperation between Scythians of the Black Sea/Caspian area and the C. Asian Saka.  In reality, they were one large mass of nomads, often traversing the great caravan route between east and west.

Date Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 00:17

Originally posted by the Bulgarian

I do know that Bulgarians and Hungarians have some sort of a relationship between them. I red it in a site, but can't remember it. Does anyone have any info about this?

The Hunogur/Bulgars were displaced from the Caucasus by the Sabirs and other Hun tribes, and migrated northwards to the steppes of Southern Russia, though some of them settled in Armenia. Their heritage in the Caucasus is represented today by some peoples in Daghestan and mainly by the Karachay and Balkar, both of them associated with Circassian tribes in autonomous politic entities [Kabardino-Balkarskaya and Karachayevo-Cherkesskaya]. The relics of Hun burials and typical Hun monuments have been found in the territory of both these republics. These peoples are the rich mixture of different Hun/Hunogur/Bulgar tribes, with the contribution of Khazars. Indeed, one of the Khazar tribes called "Basi" or "Bas" is reflected in the name of a legendary Balkarian hero, Basiat, and in the way Georgians call Balkarians, Basiani. According to many scholars, Khazars and Bulgars were almost the same people and spoke one language.
Their settlement in the area of the Volga river is however connected to Attila the Hun. In his time, the Huns intermarried with the peoples of the steppes, including the Sarmatians, acquiring new cultural features. According to tradition, he divided his hordes among his sons, giving to Ellak the Sabir peoples, to Dengizik the Kutriguri, and to Irnak the Utiguri. Concerning the latter tribes, Procopius said that one of the Hun kings had two sons, Utihur and Kuturhur. After the death of their father, the tribes subject to them consolidated into two separate tribes, which became the two branches of ancient Bulgarians. These two peoples were often at war against each other, what caused their weakening and subsequent displacement westwards after the Avars overran their lands. A large number of them were carried by the Avars to the Danubian plains.
One century later, Bulgars achieved in re-organizing their kingdom in the Northern Caucasus area, but the rising power of the Khazars subdued them. Then, the Bulgars split into three groups: a large number remained within the Khazar Empire; a second group re-settled by the Volga river beyond the northern boundary of Khazaria and founded Bulgar; the third branch, led by Asparukh, migrated westwards and established their kingdom in Moldavia. The Volga Bulgarians became powerful after the collapse of Khazaria, and their capital, Bulgar, was the main commercial centre between the Baltic and the Caspian Seas. The Bulgars of Moldavia crossed the Danube, where they met remnants of Attila's Huns, and defeated the Byzantines, establishing the nation that is called Bulgaria until today.
Since then, these three branches followed separate ways: The Kuban Bulgarians, identified better as Hunogurs, became with Magyars and Khazars the people known today as Hungarians. The Volga Bulgarians slowly assimilated with other Uralic peoples into the present-day Bashkirs, Tatars and Chuvash. The Balkan Bulgarians were completely Slavicized in a relatively short time; their old language was replaced by the modern Slavonic Bulgarian by the tenth century c.e., and are now considered a Slavic people.

this is the source, its very interesting:
http: // www .imninalu.net/Huns.htm

-------------

Posted By: Nagyfejedelem
Date Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 04:05

About relationship beetwen Bulgarians and Hungarians:

The ancestor of dinasty Dulo was Attila called Avitohol. The ancestor of dinasty Árpád was also Attila.

Date Posted: 23-Aug-2005 at 07:07
Originally posted by Raider

"Language-------------X--------------------------- (ONLY A hypothese, NOT PROVEN) "

It is proven.

No its not! Its quite arguable! Read this: http://member.melbpc.org.au/~tmajlath/index1.html - http://member.melbpc.org.au/~tmajlath/index1.html

Read it all because it does explain the situation well!

Language relativety does not mean any genetic relation. Why do most Hungarians pretend to be some kind of fake Arian nation? We are from Asia!

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 03:26

Originally posted by Raider

It is proven.

No its not! Its quite arguable! Read this: http://member.melbpc.org.au/~tmajlath/index1.html - http://member.melbpc.org.au/~tmajlath/index1.html

Read it all because it does explain the situation well!

Language relativety does not mean any genetic relation. Why do most Hungarians pretend to be some kind of fake Arian nation? We are from Asia!

I have read that article. I did not find any reason why I should question a well known linguistic fact proved more than a hundred years ago.

It is not known that the original homeland of the Hungarians was either the western or the eastern side of the Ural. (It depends whom you ask.)Personally I don't think that it has any relevance.

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 01:20

The theory, that Hungarian is a Finno-Ugric language was made in the 19th century when the Habsburgs ruled the country, and the Hungarian people was 'awaking'. They wanted to have an independent country(1848-49), they wanted to know the history of the nation. So, the Habsburgs hired some 'linguists' just to make the people quiet by teaching them and telling them: 'here you are, they are your natives, this is the history of your language'. They didn't wanted to tell them the truth, they just wanted to tell them something. And this theory is teached in every schools in Hungary. Some linguists who found other evideces didn't get money from the gov. or from official organisations, because Hungary was not an independent country( 20th century-soviets). There was scientist who made researches and who wrote books, but they couldn't get enough publicity, because thr official point was 'that a little country could not have big history'. And the Academy doesn't want to even take up this question, because the people there who work with the Finno-Ugoric thing don"t want to lose the job, and there are a lot of people who remained there from the communist times.
Before this theory was made, many Hungarian authors and poets marked themselves as the succession of the Huns, and nobody thougt, we're finno-ugorics. Thats interesting.

This theory also played a major part when Hungarians were being looked down upon by basically every surrounding country as "Asian steppe people associated with the Turks and Mongols as being leftover barbaric people" so we took advantage of this bland theory to say the Finns are our brothers hence we had been native to Europe and the north connected by the Finns.

I realize that Finns have some similarities in the Hungarian language (even though we dont understand each other at all) but Magyars have a closer cultural and genetic connection with the steppe people even today. I feel more comfortable with it being an overall Ural-Altaic theory than split in two with just Finno-Ugriac and Altaic as separate groups.

Anthropology and Genetics

Anthropology can point to the Hungarian homeland through physiological research. The old country of Hungarians must be sought where people lived, or still live who are physically like Hungarians. The Uyghur cemetery at Astana near the Jungar Gate provides the answer to this, revealed by Aurel Stein between 1913 and 1915, with 1200 more graves discovered by the Uyghurs and Chinese in 1986. The people buried there were physically the same as the Hungarians who settled in the Carpathian Basin. Also demonstrative is the fact that typically Turanian, Pamirian and Taurid genetic elements, that entered the Carpathian Basin with the Hungarians, are common only among the Turkic peoples of Central Asia, but occur nowhere else in Europe.

Aside from physiology, recent genetic research has provided clues about national origins and kinships. Within the Landsteiner Blood group system, the rate of the typically Hungarian "0" and "B" blood types (31.05% and 17.90%) is off from that of Indo-European and Finno-Ugric nations, but is within the range found among Central Asian Turkic nations. Besides this, there is another blood type among Hungarians, the Diego [A+], present in no other people of Europe. The "Mongolian spot", almost unknown in Europe, has 22.6% occurrence, and Lactose intolerance (missing lactose digestive enzyme), rare elsewhere, is at 37% among Hungarians, as in Central Asia. The skin splinter system of Hungarians has Central Asian characteristic (low bend rates, but high vortexes). The Gm-marker research pointed out that the Gm abst and Gm afb3 gene markers occurring among Hungarians are missing among other European populations. International Mitochondrial DNA research has also recently identified additional Central Asian characteristics among Hungarians.

Now that i believe that since all the men in my family have Asiatic features, dark hair, wider cheekbones, somewhat slanted in the eyes.

I have seen this with many Hungarians in my lifetime.
It all depends on today with who mixes with whom regionally.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 02:52

The theory, that Hungarian is a Finno-Ugric language was made in the 19th century when the Habsburgs ruled the country, and the Hungarian people was 'awaking'. They wanted to have an independent country(1848-49), they wanted to know the history of the nation. So, the Habsburgs hired some 'linguists' just to make the people quiet by teaching them and telling them: 'here you are, they are your natives, this is the history of your language'. They didn't wanted to tell them the truth, they just wanted to tell them something. And this theory is teached in every schools in Hungary. Some linguists who found other evideces didn't get money from the gov. or from official organisations, because Hungary was not an independent country( 20th century-soviets). There was scientist who made researches and who wrote books, but they couldn't get enough publicity, because thr official point was 'that a little country could not have big history'. And the Academy doesn't want to even take up this question, because the people there who work with the Finno-Ugoric thing don"t want to lose the job, and there are a lot of people who remained there from the communist times.
Before this theory was made, many Hungarian authors and poets marked themselves as the succession of the Huns, and nobody thougt, we're finno-ugorics. Thats interesting.

This theory also played a major part when Hungarians were being looked down upon by basically every surrounding country as "Asian steppe people associated with the Turks and Mongols as being leftover barbaric people" so we took advantage of this bland theory to say the Finns are our brothers hence we had been native to Europe and the north connected by the Finns.

I have heard this conspiration theory before.

Before 1918 the Habsburg dinasty was the evil enemy who faked the Hungarian history, between 1920-1945 the jews faked Hungarian history, after 1945 the soviet communists faked Hungarian history. You can't be serious to beleive this thing.  There is no mean scholar who questions the finno-ugric origin of the Hungarian language.

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 21:51

But I believe! Every country had it in mind that Magyars are not European and they were right except we deserved our right to stay but noone else agreed with that and so we had many things to deny and portray. Stands to reason. But I think today we have nothing to feel guilty about and we should be proud of who we are,,, Hunnic, Asian Finn, Turk, Mongol, whatever people want to call us. We are Magyar and thats it! No need to claim our "brothers" to be European!

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Aug-2005 at 02:33

But I believe! Every country had it in mind that Magyars are not European and they were right except we deserved our right to stay but noone else agreed with that and so we had many things to deny and portray. Stands to reason. But I think today we have nothing to feel guilty about and we should be proud of who we are,,, Hunnic, Asian Finn, Turk, Mongol, whatever people want to call us. We are Magyar and thats it! No need to claim our "brothers" to be European!

I do not see the connection between your post and the question of the origin of the Hungarian language.

Posted By: Nagyfejedelem
Date Posted: 29-Aug-2005 at 12:10

minchickie:

What is European? What is Asian? 

Remember, for cronichel writers River Don was the natural border of Europe...

And Indo-Europeans came from Asia into Europe, too.

Posted By: great_hunnic_empire
Date Posted: 13-Sep-2005 at 19:54

-------------
The land that my horse has rode on, there shall not be a grass againAtilla the Hun
p2.forumforfree.com/turan.html

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 13-Sep-2005 at 19:57
Empire didnt exactly last long after his death though.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Date Posted: 13-Sep-2005 at 20:04
Yes, After his death Huns went back to Central Asia to join Gokturks  

-------------
The land that my horse has rode on, there shall not be a grass againAtilla the Hun

Posted By: tadamson
Date Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 09:58
Originally posted by great_hunnic_empire

No...    The Goths and others rose up and broke the control of the Huns. The Alans split and moved West.  Many individual Huns joine the Roman Armies.
There was no mass migration of Huns thousands of miles to join the gok Turk.

-------------
rgds.

Tom..

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 10:50

Originally posted by tadamson

No...    The Goths and others rose up and broke the control of the Huns. The Alans split and moved West.  Many individual Huns joine the Roman Armies.
There was no mass migration of Huns thousands of miles to join the gok Turk.

yes Goth rose up and germenics too. So think of other way round, they migrated from Central Asia to Europe, so why should not they migrate back? it's simple they were nomadic

Also there was a another threat for east romans 150 years later after Attila's death. Avar Turkish Empire. This empire were consists of Peceneks and Huns Turkish tribes.

You mean east romans right? because West Romans was collapsed shortly after GrayWolf death.

Peceneks joined to Roman army but after they found out they were fighting against Turks in Manzigert War 1071 they changed their side.

They went back to Central Asia to join Gokturks, Uygurs, North and South Huns where located northern India in that time.

I will not be discussing anymore about Huns because it's already accepted origin of them, lifestyle, leaders and politics between another nations

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 10:52

Yes there is many accounts of Huns serving in 6th and 7th century Byzantine armies as mercenaries for example, its seems they were largely dispersed or assimilated after the Hun empire collapsed.

It should be pointed out that the *huns* themselves wernt in very high numbers Ive read accounts of the battle of Chalons that suggest only around 10 - 15 thousand of the *hunnic* army were actually huns and the rest were an assortment of Gepids and Ostrogoths and other germanics who fought for the Hun King.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 11:32
Originally posted by Heraclius

Yes there is many accounts of Huns serving in 6th and 7th century Byzantine armies as mercenaries for example, its seems they were largely dispersed or assimilated after the Hun empire collapsed.

It should be pointed out that the *huns* themselves wernt in very high numbers Ive read accounts of the battle of Chalons that suggest only around 10 - 15 thousand of the *hunnic* army were actually huns and the rest were an assortment of Gepids and Ostrogoths and other germanics who fought for the Hun King.

worked for roman army as mercenaries? C'mon romans had enough of them, why should they be needed Hun's help

Yes Huns werent large enough of population but they were given high spiritual powers to make rule over romans, goths, vandals, germenic right? or they were so weak, who anyone can manipulated them easily and made Huns big threats for Romans by germenic, goths, vandals, franks, saxons

-------------

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 14:06
I'm speechless in front of our astute colleague.

-------------

Posted By: tadamson
Date Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 21:29

worked for roman army as mercenaries? C'mon romans had enough of them, why should they be needed Hun's help

Yes Huns werent large enough of population but they were given high spiritual powers to make rule over romans, goths, vandals, germenic right? or they were so weak, who anyone can manipulated them easily and made Huns big threats for Romans by germenic, goths, vandals, franks, saxons

Im curious, whare have you picked up your history from?  Any particular text books ?

I note that you are from Britain and are interested in the Huns.  You should read

The World of the Huns: Studies in Their History and Culture  by
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-author=Helfen%2C%20Otto%20J.Maenchen/202-1654104-6913466 - Otto J.Maenchen Helfen
  • Hardcover 631 pages (December 1973)
  • Publisher: University of California Press
  • Language: English
  • ISBN: 0520015967

• Second hand copies are cheap and it's far and away the best book ever published on the Huns.

-------------
    rgds.

Tom..

Posted By: Atillaperna
    Date Posted: 24-Sep-2005 at 15:11
    The anscestors of modern Hungarians are of course those that followed Arpad through the carpathians (Ugric), who came after Atilla and his Altaic Huns.  But Magyars see themselves more as descendants of the Huns, which although far less directly that Arpad's people, they are.

I'm reading the book entitled 'Atilla, the barbarian king that challenged Rome' by John Man, and i really recommend it.  It's an eye-opening and very captoivating read.  It tell about Lajos Kassai, a Hungarian who over the past twenty years has taken it upon himself to revive the ancient horse-back archery skills of the HUns, and has achieved his goal and now runs a school teaching the Hunnic maneuvers of archery whilst in the saddle.  A great man who lives for his profession.

The Huns get attention today, but for the wrong reasons.  They were a great race of Turkish stock (related to the Xihongnu) that ruled from the Caucasus to Friesland-Holland.

Regards.

-------------

Posted By: vulkan02
    Date Posted: 24-Sep-2005 at 18:51

The Huns in europe were never very numerous in the first place, probably about 10,000 according to some estimates. Local barbarians far outnumbered the Huns in the Hunnic empire. So when their empire collapsed, it's difficulty to trace where the orignal Huns went. Some say they merged with the Magyars after moving back into Asia.

I find it hard to believe that only 10000 huns were able to conquer all that territory.... maybe if it was 100000 then yeah its more believable.

-------------
    The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
    Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao

Posted By: Constantine XI
    Date Posted: 25-Sep-2005 at 06:16
    Why hire huns as mercenaries? Simple, they were without a violent expansionist leader and happened to make good cavalrymen,

-------------

Posted By: DayI
    Date Posted: 25-Sep-2005 at 13:28

Huns where more then 10 000, with 10 000 men you cant conquer a place like ukraine nowadays...

Its also said, the archers, warriors took their familiy with them so if there where 10 000 warriors, archers plus their family...

-------------
    Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
    http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 21:06

The Huns could be excellent mercenaries, ferocious, fearless, their reputation alone scared the hell out of their enemies, their charges were murderous and enemies rarely stood against them and for good reasons.

I dont know what the Hun population when they entered Europe but I did definately hear that its may have been 10,000 huns at Chalons, most of their army was made up of Ostrogoths and Gepids and god knows what else. Allies were obviously hugely important to the Huns.

I'd like to know though what was the size and composition of Attilas army when it invaded Italy after Chalons?

-------------

Posted By: poirot
    Date Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 04:57

? are you sure? It would be quite silly.

-------------
    AAAAAAAAAA
    "The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Posted By: Abyssmal Fiend
    Date Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 12:45
    I don't see why if the Huns used auxiliary troops or not is even a discussion at this point. It would be impossible for a nomadic race to raise an army of 10,000 men, attack, be defeated, raise another, and attack again, all in a short amount of time. The majority of the troops would have been Germanic (which, one might argue, was why the Romans called the Huns Germanic), with a bunch of other people mixed in.

You would have had everything from Goths to Scythians fighting under the Huns.

As for Attila's Empire, it fell primarily because it didn't have a single strong leader to control it. He ruled the way Genghis Khan did -- extermination. If there were people there, there needed to be Huns there to control them. And the Huns, like the Mongols, didn't have the population to constantly watch their subjects.

-------------

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Posted By: vulkan02
    Date Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 16:16
    Originally posted by Abyssmal Fiend

I don't see why if the Huns used auxiliary troops or not is even a discussion at this point. It would be impossible for a nomadic race to raise an army of 10,000 men, attack, be defeated, raise another, and attack again, all in a short amount of time. The majority of the troops would have been Germanic (which, one might argue, was why the Romans called the Huns Germanic), with a bunch of other people mixed in.

You would have had everything from Goths to Scythians fighting under the Huns.

As for Attila's Empire, it fell primarily because it didn't have a single strong leader to control it. He ruled the way Genghis Khan did -- extermination. If there were people there, there needed to be Huns there to control them. And the Huns, like the Mongols, didn't have the population to constantly watch their subjects.

THat is why I believe the Hun army was considerably higher than 10000. The fact that Attila quickly replenished his army and didn't lose any of his protectorate allies after Chalons confirms to me that the Hun army was probably greater than the other armies at the time. Add to that the warlike character of his people and you have a perfect mix for conquest.

-------------
    The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
    Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao

Posted By: Temujin
    Date Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 18:10

Originally posted by Abyssmal Fiend

I disagree, Chingiz' empire was a quite different Steppe empire from previous ones in that he did conquer settled lands as opposed to just raid them like most other Nomads (in europe at least).

the battle of Chalons and the following last camapign of Attila give a good picture of Steppe warfare but is mostly distorted in favour of a more pro-Roman viewpoint. anyways, it has been noted that at the battle of Chalons, on both sides mostly German allies of both Rome and Huns fought each others, the actual amount of native Roman and Hun troops at the battle is comparably low. the battle was very bloody and costly for both sides and the Huns eventually mounted a feigned retreat which was either ignored by the Romans & allies or the losses were too high to pursue the Huns. this would explain why the Huns lost at Chalons and why they still had the capability of raiding Italy afterwards unopposed.

-------------

Posted By: Seko
    Date Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 20:36

Many native tribes of conquered lands would join the armies of Attila's Huns and Cengiz's Mongols. I agree with Temujin's view regarding steppe tactics in warfare. This could explain why Atilla had the reserves to continue his hold on his empire after Chalons.

The Mongols empire(s) were very efficient in governing their territories. From their mature postal system to global trade, the Mongol's strict adherance to the yassa could be one reason for their success. 

-------------

Posted By: Mark I.
    Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 09:00

Hungarians an Bulgarians are somewhat later settlers, as Attila the Hun's people went up north. Today's Finns have 25% of our genes herited from the Hunns.

Hope this helps.

Posted By: Turk Nomad
    Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 09:09
    I think you guys must use Hun Turks when need to use hun =)They are Turkic like Volgo or İthil Bulghars.

I have simple question:Are magyars sons of Hun Turks?

Posted By: Toluy
    Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 12:35
    Originally posted by Turk Nomad

I think you guys must use Hun Turks when need to use hun =)They are Turkic like Volgo or İthil Bulghars.

While most scholars have no substantiated proofs to prove whereabouts of Huns, do you have?

Posted By: DayI
    Date Posted: 29-Sep-2006 at 13:24
    Originally posted by Toluy

Originally posted by Turk Nomad

While most scholars have no substantiated proofs to prove whereabouts of Huns, do you have?
    maybe this can help ya out, http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14627

-------------
    Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
    http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: Vivek Sharma
    Date Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 03:52
    Another option would be to call them turkic huns.

-------------
    PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn

Posted By: Guests
    Date Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 06:06
    Originally posted by Feramez

Yes a lot do, we even have a couple Magyars in this forum that do.  A few months ago a group of Magyars in Hungary attempted to gain recognition from the government as an official ethnic group.  They failed, I think because they didn't have enough people to back them up.

You don't mean Magyars in Turkey do you?

-------------

Posted By: angela1221
    Date Posted: 19-Nov-2010 at 07:16
    New book about Attila:

Attila, Isten ostora

http://konyv-konyvek.hu/attila_isten_ostora#montcassen_jeanpierre_tovabbi_konyvei - http://konyv-konyvek.hu/attila_isten_ostora#montcassen_jeanpierre_tovabbi_konyvei

Ez a mű hiánypótló történelmi regény, olvasása közben érzékeljük, hogy Attila mekkora egyéniség volt. Egyik hun uralkodó sem jutott olyan magasságokba, mint ő, s ennek okát többé-kevésbé fölfedi a szerző. Attila életét végigkíséri egy különös, drámai szerelem, amely a szemünk előtt lobban föl, és lángol az egekig.

Posted By: opuslola
    Date Posted: 19-Nov-2010 at 18:28
    Dear Angela1221!

Does "Attila, Isten ostora", mean "the Pest from the East?", or something similar?

Sorry my language skills are limited?

Regards,

-------------
    http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/

Posted By: Dulo
    Date Posted: 06-Jul-2014 at 07:01
    European Huns were not of Asian origin, they were Indo-Europeans. Actually they still "are", because they still are here - in Bulgaria :

http://www.promacedonia.org/en/sr/index.html
           ... So there they remained, and there their descendants remain, even to this day... --- page 4
              ... the blood of the Scourge of God flows now in the valleys of the Balkans, diluted by time and the pastoral      Slavs. --- page 4-5

You should check who were Dulo and Vokil - trace them back to China (not Mongolia), where they were known as Yuezhi :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuezhi

Magyars have nothing to do do with Huns/Bolgars, they arrive in Europe 500 years later and they belong to Turkish family nations, which originate north from Mongolia, while Huns/Bolgars originate south from Mongolia - Djungaria in Tarim basin, China. I can't understand why Hungarians are so eager to have Atilla as their ancestor  - actually this is shameful. Atilla was sociopathic  killer and marauder.   

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com