Print Page | Close Window

Independence Days

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: General World History
Forum Discription: All aspects of world history, especially topics that span across many regions or periods
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4684
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 07:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Independence Days
Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Subject: Independence Days
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 08:00
How many countries have independence days?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Menippos
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 08:25
Greece has one - 25th of March.
Independence from the Ottoman Empire.

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 09:24
Australia: none. The idea of fighting for our independence, having a glorious war for the sake of our nation and shedding blood is both unecessary and pretentious according to our perspective.

The British came, they colonised, they did a good job, then they let us run things ourselves without any hassles. Inglorious, uninteresting, and for that we can be forever grateful.

-------------

Posted By: Jagatai Khan
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 09:26
In Turkey there is not an Independence Day of the whole country,but lots of city have their own Independence day which remained from the years 1920-22.

-------------

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 11:03

Originally posted by Constantine XI

The British came, they colonised, they did a good job

Looking at what happened at Lords last week, maybe too good a job.

But thanks anyway.

And Britain doesn't have an independence day either. No-one to be independent from.

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 11:08

Mexico: September 16 Independence Day.
5 de Mayo is not Independence Day, american folks

-------------

Posted By: Emperor Barbarossa
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 11:12
Im suprised no one mentioned the cold ol' US of A. Though our real independence from the British(end of our revolution) is on September 3, our declaration, and celebrated day is July 4.

-------------

Posted By: Kalevipoeg
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 12:13

the 24th of February is the Independence Day.

the 20th of August is the regaining of Indpendence Day.

-------------
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...

Posted By: TheodoreFelix
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 12:32
November 18, Ismail Qemali declared Albania's indepedance from the Ottoman Empire in modern Vlore ending the 500 year rule

-------------

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 14:17

We have many independence days.

with every chnge of goverment they changed our national day

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Posted By: Belisarius
Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 14:23
The Philippines celebrates its independence from Spanish rule on June 12. We used to celebrate July 4th as independence day from the Americans. Then we celebrated July 4th as Filipino/American friendship day, when American propaganda convinced us that we were already independent when the Americans were there. Now we do not celebrate July 4th at all.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 14:26

Hi Belisarius:
I was under the idea that September 15th was also celebrated in Philipines, Am I right ?

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 14:33
I know of no Filipino holiday celebrated on September 15th. What holiday did you think it was? Perhaps you had the date wrong.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 15:14
well, all central american countries celebrates Independence day on September 15th, due they got independence from Spain by joining to the Mexican Empire.
It was my understanding that it was celebrated also in Philipines. Thanks for your correction.
Regards

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 18:30
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by Constantine XI

The British came, they colonised, they did a good job

Looking at what happened at Lords last week, maybe too good a job.

But thanks anyway.

And Britain doesn't have an independence day either. No-one to be independent from.

No probs, and yes Britain can take great pride in the lack of an independence day, 1000 years and still quite happily free of foreign domination. Interesting how Britain and Australia both lack Independence Days but still both manage to be patriotic without it being over the top. It's great when a nation makes its people love it without it having it balance that with a fear or contempt for the outside world.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 18:49
I think the ironic thing about Britain is that I think it is second only to Spain for number of independence days against it.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 19:19
You think so? I am sure Britain had taken over a greater number of the world's territories than any other nation. But then the question is whether those countries would really have an Independence Day. Most of the former territories of the Spanish Empire had to wrest independence via military risings, while after the American Revolution the British did not unnecessarily antagonize their subjects quite so much. In many instances independence was simply granted to territories when the British wisely realized that perpetuating an Empire for the sake of vain-glory was not worth it.

So I know virtually every former Spanish territory celebrates independence days, and it would just be a question of whether the former British colonies celebrate Independence Days when they typically didn't have to fight for their independence. For example, here in Australia we celebrate Australia Day on January 26th, the day in 1788 when European settlement began. An independence day is simply not needed.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 05:52

Good try, Constantine, but it looks as though you lose.

http://www.aneki.com/holidays.html - http://www.aneki.com/holidays.html

I gave up counting at Sierra Leone, with Britain well ahead of Spain. There are so many little places...Antigua, St Kitts Nevis, St Vincent ... all with their own.

I do note that apparently New Zealand still celebrates Waitangi Day, commemorating the islands coming under British sovereignty. 

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 11:31
More than Spain? That is really shocking. I was under the impression that there were more violent revolutions against them. 

-------------

Posted By: tzar
Date Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 14:09

March 3 - Independence  from the Ottoman empire!!

-------------
Everybody listen only this which understands.

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 14:41
March 25 - Independence day of Greece from Ottoman empire.

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 16:19

Originally posted by Belisarius

More than Spain? That is really shocking. I was under the impression that there were more violent revolutions against them. 

Count 'em for yourself

I did say I gave up before the end. I could well be wrong.

Incidentally I was up to Britain 23 Spain 11 when I gave up. (Might have been Spain 12, only Panama celebrates independence from Colombia.)

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 19:29

May 28- Independence from Ottoman Empire and Russian Empire.

September 21- Independence from USSR.

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 06:25

Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

November 18, Ismail Qemali declared Albania's indepedance from the Ottoman Empire in modern Vlore ending the 500 year rule

Dude it's 28 november! In 28 november 1444 Gjergj Kastrioti Skenderbeu raised the flag in Kruj! In the same date 1912 Ismail  bey Vlora claimed independence from Ottoman empire! In 28-29 november 1945 the last fascists escaped from Albania! Three great events of my country in the same date!

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 08:04

Good try, Constantine, but it looks as though you lose.

http://www.aneki.com/holidays.html - http://www.aneki.com/holidays.html

I gave up counting at Sierra Leone, with Britain well ahead of Spain. There are so many little places...Antigua, St Kitts Nevis, St Vincent ... all with their own.

I do note that apparently New Zealand still celebrates Waitangi Day, commemorating the islands coming under British sovereignty. 

Did you mean Belisarius or Constantine . And yes Waitangi Day is still celebrated in New Zealand, and each time the Moaris dutifully go out and protest about it. Can't say I blame them, I admire the incredible fight they put up before being forced to sign the treaty.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 11:18
I think he was talking to me, but he was obviously thinking about you, Constantine.  Or maybe he was talking to you, and not thinking about me at all... perplexing!

How about the nations that ceded peacefully from the British Empire, like Canada? Do they celebrate independence?

Does anyone know if any Near and Middle Eastern countries, other than Armenia, celebrate independence from the Ottoman Empire? I know that the Europeans certainly do.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 14:39

Originally posted by Belisarius

I think he was talking to me, but he was obviously thinking about you, Constantine.  Or maybe he was talking to you, and not thinking about me at all... perplexing!

I was referring to Constantine's post of July 30 at 1:30 a.m. on page 1. That's C.E.T. I guess.

On the other hand, I can see it was confusing. (I had myself to go back and refresh my memory).

Date Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 04:06

turkey has salvation day .. 30 august ..

we just been busy to kick some ppl out who attempt invade us

well they learned their lesson

Posted By: HulaguHan
Date Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 04:56

As a Turk, I am proud, we have no independence days.

Because we were always independent.

Date Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 15:48

Yes, we have an independence day. When the "Itilaf" Union were sharing Turkish lands and trying to apply the first version of treaty of Sevres, giving only central Anatolia to Turkish rule, the people's resistance, Misak-i Milli was fighting against the invaders itself without the permission of the Ottoman  government. The Turkish government of Ankara was totally independent from Ottoman one, and it simply pissed on the imperialist treaty of Sevres, and united the Turkish soil again, fighting mostly Greek invasion forces in the west.

26 August 1922: The Grand Offensive started. The Dumlupnar Commander-in-Chief Field Battle started, which would result in a great victory on 30 August.> >

>11 October 1922: The Mudanya Armistice, which was signed with the Entente delegates, reached the agreement for the occupying forces to vacate the Turkish territories and for the convening of a peace conference at Lausanne.> >>

>>Here is an informative link about all those important happennings of that agre in a full timeline: http://www.byegm.gov.tr/YAYINLARIMIZ/yuzyil/1920-1929.htm - http://www.byegm.gov.tr/YAYINLARIMIZ/yuzyil/1920-1929.htm >>

-------------

Posted By: Jorsalfar
Date Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 16:02
In 1905 Norway gained independence from the Swedes.That was exactly a hundred years ago.So this year we celebrated our independence although we dont have any official independence day.

Posted By: Hak-Khan
Date Posted: 28-Aug-2005 at 17:57
30.th of August(in general)

-------------

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 29-Aug-2005 at 08:45
Don't have any.

Posted By: ok ge
Date Posted: 30-Aug-2005 at 19:25

We don't have an independance day. We have a unification day decided as September 23, 1932.

Though unification was acheived by 1929, the name Saudi Arabia was not decided till 1932 and therefore, September 23, 1932 is the national day here

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Date Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 04:36
Dont you have an independence day from Ottoman Empire (western coasts of Arabian peninsula until Yemen)?

-------------

Posted By: Moustafa Pasha
Date Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 15:14

Republic  Day in Turkey is October 29

Date Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 15:29

Egypt's Revolution Day July 23

Date Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 15:31

Canada Day July 1st

Posted By: ok ge
Date Posted: 05-Sep-2005 at 22:59

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Dont you have an independence day from Ottoman Empire (western coasts of Arabian peninsula until Yemen)?

You mean the Hijaz region? Well, after the Arab revolution in 1916, that day is celebrated more in hard core Pan-Arab nationalist countries like Syria for example. 

We don't have it here because Hijaz Kingdom was conquered by Ibn Saud in 1926 and thus, a unification day delcared instead.

If you ask the population here in Western Saudi Arabia, like myself too, we don't really like the idea of revolting agaist the Ottomans, but at the same time, my grandfather told us he didn't also like the idea of Young Turks. So it is a delimma.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 19:56

It is very nice to say my country has never been in the position to require a fight for independance and thus have an independance day  

Booya! to our Australian friends to  

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 20:27

we don't have an independence day either, but we have 2 unification days

first was january 18, comemorating the unifictaion under Bitchmark, the second and till celebrated is october 3, although this marks the day when the peoples republic of Germany officially joined the federal republic of germany.

-------------

Posted By: Exarchus
Date Posted: 10-Sep-2005 at 11:29
No independance day for us either.

-------------
Vae victis!

Posted By: Khalha_Mongol
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 13:06

We celebrate Revolution Day on 11th of July , called "Naadam" , national wrestlers wrestle, horses ride, and i don`t know what its called but people use bow to shot to the point...

and our revolution was in 1921 from Manju (china), and we couldn`t find independent with whole country, we lost Inner mongolia (ovor mongol) to the chinese ....

-------------
810th of birthday, 800th of Mongol Empire

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 14:33
Today, September 11 is the non-independence day of Catalonia. Today several centuries ago Catalans lost their independence war against Spain while Portugal succeeded) but anyhow they conmemorate as their national day: the diada.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Hak-Khan
Date Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 17:12
Originally posted by Khalha_Mongol

We celebrate Revolution Day on 11th of July , called "Naadam" , national wrestlers wrestle, horses ride, and i don`t know what its called but people use bow to shot to the point...

and our revolution was in 1921 from Manju (china), and we couldn`t find independent with whole country, we lost Inner mongolia (ovor mongol) to the chinese ....

i know my friend,

we lost them Uyghur-Sincan land too

-------------

Posted By: Khalha_Mongol
Date Posted: 21-Sep-2005 at 14:04
yes, but xinjan uygurs haven`t "CHINEZED" , (maybe because of religion) , but inner mongolians are look Chinese, talk with chinese accent, and they are 50-80% "Chinezed"...

-------------
810th of birthday, 800th of Mongol Empire

Posted By: eaglecap
Date Posted: 26-Sep-2005 at 17:32
Of course the 4th of July was when we declard our independence from the Red Coats. I have ancestry that goes back to that period and before.
In 1998 I missed our 4th of July because I was in Switzerland but I caught their independence day celebration and it was more lively than our 4th.

-------------
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε

Date Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 09:55

Originally posted by eaglecap

Of course the 4th of July was when we declard our independence from the Red Coats. I have ancestry that goes back to that period and before.
In 1998 I missed our 4th of July because I was in Switzerland but I caught their independence day celebration and it was more lively than our 4th.

And there I always thought you were celebrating my birthday!

Posted By: eaglecap
Date Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 19:37

Originally posted by eaglecap

Of course the 4th of July was when we declard our independence from the Red Coats. I have ancestry that goes back to that period and before. In 1998 I missed our 4th of July because I was in Switzerland but I caught their independence day celebration and it was more lively than our 4th.

And there I always thought you were celebrating my birthday!

-------------
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε

Posted By: Vivek Sharma
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 08:30
15th August 1947 for India

-------------
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com