Forum Discription: The Middle Ages: AD 500-1500
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4563
Printed Date: 16-Apr-2024 at 14:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Justinian I- another character assassination
Posted By: Komnenos
Subject: Justinian I- another character assassination
Date Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 18:41
The other day, I bought a Medieval Source Book for 50 cent, and amongst the many useful documents, I found a couple of texts by Prokopios, which I thought I might share with you.

Prokopios of Caesarea (500-562) is one of the most renowned Byzantine historians and was the chronicler of the reign of Justinian I (527-565). His major works include a “History of the Wars of Justinian”, “About Buildings” a work about the building programs of the Emperor and last but not least, the ”Secret History”, a collection of anecdotes about Justinian, his wife Theodora, and Belisarius, Justinian’s greatest military commander, that, for good reasons as you will see, wasn’t published before the Emperor’s death.

The “ Secret History” must surely rank in historiography as one of the most vicious and poisonous attacks on a major historical figure.

” Now such was Justinian in appearance; but his character was something I could not fully describe. For he was at once villainous and amenable; as people say colloquially, a moron. He was never truthful with anyone, but always guileful in what he said and did, yet easily hoodwinked by any who wanted to deceive him. His nature was an unnatural mixture of folly and wickedness….
This Emperor, then, was deceitful, devious, false, hypocritical, two-faced, cruel, skilled in dissembling his thought, never moved to tears by either joy or pain, though he could summon them artfully at will when the occasion demanded, a liar always, not only offhand, but in writing, and when he swore sacred oaths to his subjects in their very hearing. Then he would immediately break his agreements and pledges, like the vilest of slaves, whom indeed only the fear of torture drives to confess their perjury. A faithless friend, he was a treacherous enemy, insane for murder and plunder, quarrelsome and revolutionary, easily led to anything evil, but never willing to listen to good counsel, quick to plan mischief and carry it out, but finding even the hearing of anything good distasteful to his ears."

Justinians wife, Theodora, isn’t treated any better. However I cannot quote here from Prokopios’ work, as most of his comments on Theodora are not for the younger AE members’ eyes and ears.

Such character assassination is surely quite something, but it becomes even more astonishing when one reads Prokopios’ sycophantic outpourings about his Emperor in one of his other works, when he writes about the building of the Hagia Sophia:

"Indeed this also was an indication of the honour in which God held the Emperor, that He had already provided the men who would be most serviceable to him in the tasks which were waiting to be carried out. And one might with good reason marvel at the discernment of the Emperor himself, in that out of the whole world he was able to select the men who were most suitable for the most important of his enterprises."

What a creep!
So, I’m a bit confused now! Whom shall I believe, the official or the secret biographer, or is the truth, as always, in the middle.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/procop-anec.html - Prokopios: Secret History

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Procopius/Buildings/home.html - Prokopios: Buildings

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Replies:
Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 19:20

I remember sitting down in the lecture hall for the very first time to listen to the my first university lecture on medieval history. The lecturer, stereotypically a lecturer in every sense with his Elizabethan accent and little bow tie, said hello and then began to construct the world at the fall of Rome. Before he could move on to the world circa 1000 AD he had to introduce a word which virtually every person in the lecture hall had never heard of before - Byzantium. He put up a couple of slides of Justinian and Theodora's mosaics at Ravenna, made some derogatory references to Caesaro-Papist policies and opulent royal ceremony. Then he finished our 10 minute education in Byzantium by quoting Procopius when he refers to Theodora, dragging her mercilessly through the mud before finishing the quote with a reference to her desire for larger nipple openings for...... well I can't say (though Komnenos will know what I'm talking about).

In any case, Byzantium was never again mentioned during the course except very fleetingly. It is astounding that such an important part of Western Civilization, lasting over a millennium, can be omitted with such tenacity. But this is a product of how historiography has chosen to view Byzantine studies.

I think alot of what the secret histories claims should be taken with a grain of salt. We notice that it is divided into 30 something sections, each making a different allegation. I have approached it by examining each of these allegations individually and weighing up the evidence and probabilities. For instance, I utterly reject the notion that Justinian was a demon brought back to Earth, that particular point is based on flimsy evidence and can only be considered ridiculous. But then there are claims that Justinian was fiscally irresponsible due to his foreign policy and overspending at home and this appears very much the case. We see him resorting to every cheapskate scheme to save money even after succeeding to the Byzantine Emperor who managed to save more money than anyone else, Anastasius I.

The fact is that Procopius is out to do some damage and provides some pretty poor evidence and sources of information, much of it no doubt coming from marketplace and forum gossip. Each allegation must be examined separately and judged separately. I would dismiss much of what he says, particularly about the personal lives of the characters concerned, though he makes some valid points about bad imperial administration and policy.

I suspect Procopius was simply a brilliant writer who had been done some sort of injury by Justinian and even more so by Theodora and decided to get his own back with a heap of unfounded rumours. Here and there he makes valid points (e.g. the Emperor abolishing land based communication posts and resorting to sea based lines of communications) but on the whole much of what he says cannot be taken as properly evidenced.

-------------

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 21-Jul-2005 at 19:49

Ive read the scornful and infinitely vicious accounts of Theodora and your both correct not the kind of thing you want youngsters to see. Despite that I do dislike Theodora for her constant scheming against Belisarius and her manipulation of Justinian, to be perfectly honest I was quite happy when she finally passed away and I was able to read about Justinians life without her pesistant interference.

I bet if I went outside tomorrow and asked random people "have you ever heard of Byzantium?" Id get a few weird looks and far more "No" answers, youd get the odd one who'd heard of Constantinople but wouldnt know anything but the name. As far as western civilisation seems to be concerned the less Byzantium is mentioned the better, the emphasis on Byzantine studies have increased dramatically in the last 30 or 40 years but its still not even close to being common knowledge whereas most average people have basic knowledge on the Roman empire.

I say though its peoples loss for ignoring Byzantium as its far more interesting and deep than any other civilisation ive studied the Roman empire pales in comparison IMO.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Posted By: Belisarius
Date Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 02:12
You are older than I thought you were, Constantine. I wish I was going into a university and be a history major, but the folks just tell me that history does not bring food to the table, or a Mercedes in your garage, or a supermodel in your bed...

Well enough with the small talk. Justinian certainly had many faults, but then again, what human being does not? He was certainly an egoist, megalomaniacal, and by all means "whipped" by his wife. However, it would seem that rather than making him a villainous character, these things actually make him more interesting.

If not for his ego,  would he have been as confident in his ventures or as commanding? If not for his megalomania, his obsession with grandeur, would he have reconquered all of that lost territory? Would we still be blessed by the Hagia Sophia? If not for his unflinching trust in wife, would he have been able to put down the Nike riots?

The wife did get him into trouble though, most notably with the great Flavius Belisarius. She stirred in Justinian distrust against arguably his most loyal servant. Who knows, Belisarius might have crushed the Lombards and secured all of Italy for centuries, rather than decades, and any Byzantine scholar knows how that would have helped preserve the empire. However, as I have said, he is only human and is entitled to make mistakes and is not the villain Procopius makes him out to be.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 07:48

Hehe I'm not all that old, Belisarius. Still a teenager for a tiny bit longer. How old did you reckon I was? As for doing a history major I wouldn't brush it off. I am doing Commerce/Arts double degree and it is working out brilliantly. Employers these days LOVE graduates who show they can adapt themselves to diverse subjects and tasks, the double degree is extremely valuable in the workplace. For me the Commerce side will ensure a prosperous future, while the Arts side complements that by allowing me to pick up a widely spoken language as well as doing history. Also, by doing history as ONE of my majors I am doing a topic I am passionate about and because of that get very good marks, which in turn boost my overall academic scores for my course. Having been thrust into the workforce quite young I can also assure you that a degree is only one part of that succesful career, and not a necessary one. It is the individuals in the workplace with originality, imagination, discipline, a conscientious attitude, ambition and leadership qualities who rise to the top in the working world. A degree might give an important boost, but doesn't assure you of everything.

Hmmmm well that's quite alot of small talk. With regard to Theodora I don't hate her. I admire anyone who can rise to the top from the position she was born into, she was most definitely a character of determination and intelligence. In two aspects she failed her Empire, in persecuting Belisarius and in sending Joseph the Ragged out to the East. The former ensured military exhaustion of the Empire by prolonging the war in Italy, the latter ensured widespread dissent in the East which would lead to these provinces becoming removed from Byzantine authority in later decades.

It is amazing the love they must have had for eachother. He, the most powerful man in the West who could have any woman he desired. She, a low born commoner with shatteringly good looks and as much power as her Imperial consort. And yet they were so close there is not even a hint or any suspicion at all, not even from venomous Procopius, that they were anything but faithful to one another until the day each of them died.

-------------

Posted By: mord
Date Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 08:30

I read Procopius when I was in graduate school and discussing that problem of sources.  The idea that "the winners write the history" is pretty much shattered by Procopius.  You also get, right in your face, a lesson in an author's bias.  Keep this in mind when reading other authors.

Mord.

-------------
errr...left turn at vinland?

Date Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 17:00

It is a shame that a great and always loyal geenral like Belisarius did not achieve anything that lasted, left alone to do what he did best Italy could have been secured and true Roman rule re-established, instead the Italian campaign became such a mess Italy was ravaged, depopulated and riddled with war and didnt recover for centuries.

Theodoras scheming against Belisarius is enough for me to turn against her, especially since Belisarius seemed to be nothing more than a good and loyal man who tried to do his best for the empire and nothing more. The fact Theodora abused her power in such a way leads me to think she did not deserve such power.

-------------

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 17:53

Heraclius:

Belisarius deserved better, but, just like in the corporate board room, "Egos do not flock."

History is replete with similar examples of noble servants and heros ill used.

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 18:38
Originally posted by Heraclius

Theodoras scheming against Belisarius is enough for me to turn against her, especially since Belisarius seemed to be nothing more than a good and loyal man who tried to do his best for the empire and nothing more. The fact Theodora abused her power in such a way leads me to think she did not deserve such power.

The intrigues on Justinians court against Belisarius are retold in Robert Graves ("I, Claudius") novel "Count Belisarius", a fictional and very sympathetic account of the great man's life and achievement.
A few chapters are devoted to the story of Theodora and Antonina, Belisarius' wife, their common background and rise to notoriety, and their subsequent marriages to the two most powerful men in the Empire.
Graves admits in his foreword that most of the aspects of his retelling of Theodora's life were ..."adopted with very little editing from the "Secret History". He left however most of the more interesting details out.
If you haven't read the book yet, it's highly recommended.
Prokopios' account of Theodora, and the mosaic in Ravenna, has guaranteed that she has become one of more publicly known figures of Byzantine history, there have been a number of novels written about her ( I recently saw one in a second hand book shop, but didn't buy it, cause it was in Dutch and too expensive) and apparently a couple of films were made about her in the 20s and 30s.(I lost the link)
Apart from that, I tend to agree with Constantine XI. When you sift through all of Prokopios' rubble, underneath there must have been a rather remarkable woman, with a formidable and forceful character who had an influential part in making Justinian's reign one of the more successful in Byzantine history.

Here she is anyway, in all her glory:

Portrait mosaic of Theodora in the Church of San Vitale in Ravenna

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Date Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 22:33
There is no doubt that Theodora was a strong woman and an effective influence on Justinian. My problem with her is how her actions secured the doom of Byzantine power in the east and west. It was her fault that the Italian campaign became what it was and cost them the control of Rome and the papacy.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 19:50

I dont doubt she was a strong woman etc, but her attitude towards Belisarius was totally undeserved, he was the empires greatest and most loyal general he remained loyal to Justinian again and again when many others would have rebelled after the treatment he got.

Belisarius achieved military feats that must have seemed impossible to begin with how could an empire so reduced with such a small army hope to reconquer so much? yet he did it. North africa, Sicily, Corsia, Sardinia, Italy all of these reconquests were made possible by Belisarius, yet Theodora was against him? he contributed far more to Byzantium than she ever did.

-------------

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 19:57

Heraclius:

Hear, hear!!!!

Date Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 02:45

I dont doubt she was a strong woman etc, but her attitude towards Belisarius was totally undeserved, he was the empires greatest and most loyal general he remained loyal to Justinian again and again when many others would have rebelled after the treatment he got.

Belisarius achieved military feats that must have seemed impossible to begin with how could an empire so reduced with such a small army hope to reconquer so much? yet he did it. North africa, Sicily, Corsia, Sardinia, Italy all of these reconquests were made possible by Belisarius, yet Theodora was against him? he contributed far more to Byzantium than she ever did.

Yes! I say we kill her and throw her mutilated body to the wolverines for mastication and more mutilation!

Seriously now, what really brings the dagger home with the Theodora-Belisarius situation was that the empire was not reduced to a small army and was probably stronger than the Western and Eastern Roman Empires, of a century before, combined. The standing army under Justinian was in the avenue of 625,000 men, if we are to believe Jules Norwich. The empire was also doing very well in matters of wealth. However, it was Theodora who, through Justinian or her own actions, made sure that Belisarius never benefitted from the empire's prosperity.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 11:12

What I meant by small army was the army Belisarius was given to make the reconquests I believe Norwich says no more than 15,000 to north africa and 30,000 in Italy which may be enough to destroy (if used wisely) the armies or the enemies there but not enough to hold it sufficiently when the conquest is done. Narses however was given at least 35,000 men.

Also Norwich says the army which had once been 645,000 was allowed to shrink to a mere 150,000, 150,000 men is not enough if your undertaking the kind of reconquests Justinian achieved and then trying to hold frontiers which were more hard pressed than ever and a less than *eternal* peace with Persia.

Even so I believe with no doubt, that Justinian could have helped Belisarius out far more than he did, maybe then Italy could have been secured and barbarians not having to be bought off.

I agree with Norwich when he says Justinian cant be considered the greatest in history because he left the state near bankrupt, but he did make a mark on the empire which was infinitely more valuable and despite his obvious flaws he was the last true Roman emperor and still deserves to be alongside the likes of Alexander and Constantine as "The great".

Its a shame that only people who study Byzantine history will know about him as he has never passed into general knowledge like Caeser and Constantine.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 13:08

Its a shame that only people who study Byzantine history will know about him as he has never passed into general knowledge like Caeser and Constantine.

We have Edward Gibbon to thank for that. By the way, I am reading his Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. Has anyone else read this? I find it to be quite an arrogant and biased work. He mentions things like the Roman Empire being unequaled in culture, with no regard for the flourishing Chinese culture. Quite Eurocentric of him, I believe. Of course, there is also the mistreatment of the Byzantine Empire, which he thoroughly villainizes.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 13:30

I own the abridged version of Gibbons work, I refuse to read it though, after reading abit, his boastful arrogant attitude annoyed me so much that I couldnt care less what he thinks.

Gibbons work may be a literary masterpiece but his opinion is biased and utterly undeservant of the praise it gets.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 21:20
Decline and Fall is on my to-do list. There are only so many hours in the day and it's a huge work to get through. I have had the chance to read several chapters of it. Some of what he has written can be forgiven for him living in the late 18th century with limited to access to sources and archaeological evidence, but it hardly justifies him slandering Byzantium as he did.

Personally the thing I think would have worked better for Justinian would have been to absolutely cripple Persia before going on his reconquest. He could easily have afforded a few years of war to utterly decimate the Persians under his brilliant young general before going West. I think Justinian sent him off on the mission to retake the West far too soon after Dara. Perhaps after devestating the Persians for a good 5 years and leaving them militarily and economically cripplied would have ensured he could free up many more men for the Western campaign and at the same time not bankrupt the state with such a huge tribute being paid to the Perians. The Kingdoms in the West were no immediate threat and could be dealt with at any time of his choosing, but Persia was an intransigent enemy which had to be properly weakened before fighting wars in the other side of the Byzantine world.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 02:04
Originally posted by Constantine XI

but it hardly justifies him slandering Byzantium as he did.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Slander is spoken. Libel is what you are looking for.

Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire is certainly a task. The abridged version is about 1470 pages. I can not imagine reading the whole text of his bias and arrogance.

Actually, I believe that diplomacy with Persia was the answer. Perhaps I live in a fantasy world, but perhaps an alliance with Persia might have ensured the prosperity of both. Persia's aggressive western policy and the Romans' view of the Persians as arch-enemies would have severely hindered this. Just think though, if Justinian could have secured a lasting alliance with Persia, Heraclius might have been reconquering Gaul and Britain rather than fighting a disastrous war with Persia. The so called "Dark Ages" would only have lasted for a century rather than the centuries it actually did. The Sassanids might have crushed the Arabs and survived for centuries more. Zoroastrianism might have become the religion of the Middle East rather than Islam. The combined strength of both empires might have defeated the hordes of Ghengis Khan. We might have been speaking Greek or Persian rather than English in the present day. A fascinating "What if?", I believe.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 03:43
Hehe thanks for the touch up on my language, I did legal in high school so I should not have tripped up there.

An alliance or genuine peace with Persia, IMO, was simply never a practical possibility. Only two times in history can I recall a peace that lasted for the better part of a generation between Byzantium and Persia. The first was at the turn of the 4th century when Galerius managed a decisive defeat of King Narses (yes, fascinating the Byzantines would one day have a Narses fighting for them) which forced the Persians into a long peace. Once the date for the expiry of peace arrived, the war resumed and it was an intransigent war.

The second time was under Maurice, an Emperor who I developing a big curiosity about. He intervened in the Persian civil war to instate the young Khosrau who stayed faithful to the peace agreement until Maurice was overthrown. Apart from that constant fighting was the order of the day and Byzantium and Persia were fated to continue it. A lasting peace is a nice idea but it goes against everything we know about international relations and the political particulars between Byzantium and Persia. Personally I don't think a lasting peace was achievable, each side would always attack the other when they sensed weakness for fear of being the victims themselves at some point down the track.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 10:25

It's almost absurd when reading about Byzantium when you discover yet another peace treaty was signed with Persia and the question is "hmm I wonder how theyll mess this one up?", it was a classic fight to the death that culminated with Heraclius ending the Persian threat to Byzantium, the Arabs then had an easy time crushing Persia afterwards.

Its fascinating to think how far the reconquests could have gone, could Heraclius have built on Justinians work? would Heraclius have even got to the throne had things been different? assuming he did could the western empire have been revived pre Charlemange?

I think personally trying a total reconquest was impossible but Byzantium may have been able to wrap around the Med completely encircling it like the old empire. All of North Africa, Spain, Italy (secure), southern France.

It isnt that massive an extension from what Justinian achieved so that may well have been possible under somebody like Heraclius. If things were different the history of the empire in this period would be unrecognisable, Byzantium to strong for the Arabs, no iconoclasm, no dark age itd be totall different to what we know the be Byzantium.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 16:53
The paranoia between the two empires could have easily been erased had friendly relations been established. I quite sure Yazdegerd and Heraclius were kicking themselves for not thinking about this when the Arabs opening large cans of "whup-ass" on them.

-------------

Posted By: Jazz
Date Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 04:13

It isnt that massive an extension from what Justinian achieved so that may well have been possible under somebody like Heraclius. If things were different the history of the empire in this period would be unrecognisable, Byzantium to strong for the Arabs, no iconoclasm, no dark age itd be totall different to what we know the be Byzantium.

I wonder how the history of the Papacy would have been different (and by extention, the religious history of Catholic Europe) had Italy remained unfragmented (ie, no Lombard invasion, or beating off the Lombards afterwards) and the Pope didn't have to assume all the secular power he did around Rome.

-------------
http://www.forums.internationalhockey.net/index.php?/index.php?referrerid=8 - International Hockey Forums

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com