Print Page | Close Window

Flag of Japan

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: East Asia
Forum Discription: The Far East: China, Korea, Japan and other nearby civilizations
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=437
Printed Date: 24-Apr-2024 at 13:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Flag of Japan
Posted By: Gubook Janggoon
Subject: Flag of Japan
Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 12:46
What ever happened to the sun's rays?

Replies:
Posted By: Dari
Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 12:47
I thought it was the rising Sun.

-------------

Dari is a pimp master

Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 12:56
Yea...that flag....Why did they change it to the setting sun?  the first one was so much more pretty.

-------------

Posted By: hansioux
Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 13:20
The sun rays flag was never the Janpanese flag.  It was their military flag.  

-------------
Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet

Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 13:36
O...I never knew that....so the setting sun was always their national flag?

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 13:59

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

O...I never knew that....so the setting sun was always their national flag?

Yes, my grandpa remember learning to make the Japanese flag back in school.  As he recalls, takes a bowl , put red paint in it, and then dump it on the white flag.  Tada~ Japanese flag.

-------------
Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet

Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 14:14
Lol, how simple.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 18:44

Perhaps the reverse can be done as well.

Take a piece of red cloth, tie a knott in the center, dip the rest in Clorox bleach and ... maybe we get a tie dyed Japanese flag?

-------------

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet

Posted By: I/eye
Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 18:56
the one with the rays are from the Imperialist Japan. Today it is used by three types of people: the navy, the cartoon makers, and the far-right.

-------------
[URL=http://imageshack.us]

Posted By: MengTzu
Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 21:46

Hey all,

The red circle is a setting sun, not a rising sun?  really?

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 21:55
From my experience, rising or setting, it's always red.....

-------------

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet

Posted By: hannibal
Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 21:56
Originally posted by MengTzu

Hey all,

The red circle is a setting sun, not a rising sun?  really?

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

Maybe it's just a sun. It's difficult for us to differentiate the sun between rising and setting...        Bu t I understand, Gubuk hope it is setting, I am the same 

-------------
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.

Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 22:30

Hey all,

I don't wanna sound sinocentric here, but it seems that the sun, as a symbol of Japan, has something to do with it being the farthest east in the known world of the past.  It's true that there's also the legend of the sun goddess, but one wonder this in the chicken and egg logic: did this legend become prevalent precisely because of Japan's "Eastness?"  In other words, we cannot insist that the sun goddess was the only legend in Japan and in the its patheon of kama.  The salience of the concept of the sun might be a cause, not an effect, of the popularity of the sun goddess.   After all, Japan, which is Latin Japon, pronounced "Ya pon," is an obvious variant of "Ri bun," "Ni pon," etc, which means "origin of the sun."

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 23:03

Hey all,

I don't wanna sound sinocentric here, but it seems that the sun, as a symbol of Japan, has something to do with it being the farthest east in the known world of the past.  It's true that there's also the legend of the sun goddess, but one wonder this in the chicken and egg logic: did this legend become prevalent precisely because of Japan's "Eastness?"  In other words, we cannot insist that the sun goddess was the only legend in Japan and in the its patheon of kama.  The salience of the concept of the sun might be a cause, not an effect, of the popularity of the sun goddess.   After all, Japan, which is Latin Japon, pronounced "Ya pon," is an obvious variant of "Ri bun," "Ni pon," etc, which means "origin of the sun."

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

I can provide some clues here.  You all know I'm one of the Han people in China. Han is the name of my people,it was named after Han Dynasty.But what was the name of my people before Han Dynasty. It's Hua Xia people. Hua means the rays of sun.  The first two emperors in Chinese history --- Emperor Yan and emperor Huang are named by 'fire'(i.e. meaning of the word Yan in Chinese) and Yellow(i.e. Huang,which is the color of earth).

In our  ancient legend, once there were ten suns in the sky, people were suffering by the dryness and hotness caused by the suns. One day, there appeared a hero who named Hou Yi, he shot down nine of the sun by his bow and saved his people.

another Chinese mythological story about sun 'Kua Fu chased the sun'Maybe someone else here could introduce it for you

-------------
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;

Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 23:55

Hey Hannibal,

Is the "Kua Fu chasing the sun" legend about this guy running to see the sun, and then, on the way there, he got thirsty, so he ran back to get some water, but on the way to get some water he died of thirt -- is that the one?  I forget where I read about this, but I'm pretty bummed by it =(

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 01-Sep-2004 at 23:58

Originally posted by I/eye

Today it is used by three types of people: the navy, the cartoon makers, and the far-right.

you could you please provide an example where the far-right uses this flag?

-------------

Posted By: YanWang
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 00:14

china has a kind of plaster paper used to relief people from muscle injury is just like the flag.

-------------

What is Your Question Again?

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 01:09

Hey Catt,

I think by far right he meant the conservatives in Japan, and these conservatives, I'm purely speculating, are the ones who are nostalgic of the "good old" Japanese imperialist days ("good old" for them, not for everyone else, of course.)

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 02:17

Actually... the first people to address themselves to China as King of where the sun rises is the Koguryos in Shuei dynasty.  Before that, 少昊 (King Shao Hao, which is Sun in the Sky, probably same person as 帝嚳) and 太昊 (King Tai Hao, same character, probably same as 顓頊).  These two guys are from the ancient race of 夷 (Yi).  Yes, same as 東夷(Dong-Yi).... Since they are from the east, they are chose their name for that reason, as King of the Sun.  Since the Corean people is also descendents of the ancient Yi (not the only descendents), it makes sense why King of Koguryo would adress himself as such when address the Emperor Yang of Shuei Dynasty.  After all, he is to the east.  Saying 東 Dong in Chinese acutally means where the sun rise.  Just that people don't don't relate the two right away.

The name 日本 Japan, is actually given to the Japanese by the Emperess of Hou Chou, the only female emperor of China in the middle of the Tang dynasty.  The Japanese addressed themselves as People from where the sun rise.  It upset her a bit, but later on she gave them the name of 日本 and a seal to go with it.  Remeber, this is back when Japan was still not within the Asian interational community yet.

炎帝 (King Yan) and 黃帝 (King Huang) you can argue if they are called that because they are the sun kings, but there is no proof.  You can guess all you want.  I can just as well say King Huang iis called that, because he's from 黃河 (Yellow river, Huang He).  And flame is not the same as sun is it?

Anyway......  just my regular bashing...

-------------

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 09:29

Hey Hannibal,

Is the "Kua Fu chasing the sun" legend about this guy running to see the sun, and then, on the way there, he got thirsty, so he ran back to get some water, but on the way to get some water he died of thirt -- is that the one?  I forget where I read about this, but I'm pretty bummed by it =(

Peace,

Michael

9-1-2004

The story:Kua Fu Chased the Sun, just reflected a desire of people in China since the immemorial times to conquer the nature. Kua Fu chased the sun because the hotness caused by the sun destoryed his people's happy life. A man Versus all mighty sun, isn't he a brave men?

hansioux ,maybe you are right in some details.  one's thing  is for sure, the worship of sun derived from China...

-------------
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 14:22
Originally posted by hannibal

The story:Kua Fu Chased the Sun, just reflected a desire of people in China since the immemorial times to conquer the nature. Kua Fu chased the sun because the hotness caused by the sun destoryed his people's happy life. A man Versus all mighty sun, isn't he a brave men?

hansioux ,maybe you are right in some details.  one's thing  is for sure, the worship of sun derived from China...

Ahh... stop analyzing these stories..... next thing people are going to analyze how Micky Mouse is a true American hero that uses optimism to face his challenges....

Besides, if you really want to talk about Sun worship, it derived from Egypt.  But you know what I think?  I think any man can look up at the sun and realize all their food depends on it, and start worshiping it.

-------------

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 15:31

Hey Hansioux,

heh, Chinese nationalist logic: China has A.  Someone else has A.  Therefore A started in China and got learned by someone else.  I'm proud to be a Chinese American born in Hong Kong, but I hate this Chinese nationalist logic like I hate the sound of styrofoams.

Peace,

Michael

9-2-2004

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 15:33

Hey Hansioux,

heh, Chinese nationalist logic: China has A.  Someone else has A.  Therefore A started in China and got learned by someone else.  I'm proud to be a Chinese American born in Hong Kong, but I hate this Chinese nationalist logic like I hate the sound of styrofoams.

Peace,

Michael

9-2-2004

I think the sound of nail scratching black board is worse.....

-------------

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 16:44
Originally posted by hansioux

Ahh... stop analyzing these stories..... next thing people are going to analyze how Micky Mouse is a true American hero that uses optimism to face his challenges....

Besides, if you really want to talk about Sun worship, it derived from Egypt.  But you know what I think?  I think any man can look up at the sun and realize all their food depends on it, and start worshiping it.

I don't think Japs can learn sun-worship from Egyptians,my friend.   Maybe I should  be more concrete in expression: the sun-worship of Japan derived from China. 

Ok,I'm nationalist. It's  just sounds like that I am the one among the people who  have the qualification to be a true nationalist.

-------------
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 16:52

Hey Hansioux,

Peace,

Michael

9-2-2004

Right~That's my logic. It's also the logic of USA, when China had nuclear weapon they said we stolen technology from America ,hahah    That't the country you are  study now, I hope you can keep to be a saint.

-------------
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;

Posted By: demon
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:00

Right~That's my logic. It's also the logic of USA, when China had nuclear weapon they said we stolen technology from America ,hahah 

Actually, didn't China use Pakistani/Inidian scientists to make Nukes?  Or Solviet scientists?

-------------
Grrr..

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:08
Originally posted by demon

Right~That's my logic. It's also the logic of USA, when China had nuclear weapon they said we stolen technology from America ,hahah 

Actually, didn't China use Pakistani/Inidian scientists to make Nukes?  Or Solviet scientists?

Of course,no.   China and Solviet became enemy in the later half of 1950s. Both sides of the boundary between Solviet and China deployed large numbers of army.Do you think they will help us?

As for India and Pakistani~  It's interesting for me to hear your question

We bombed nucler weapon in 1964. When they ?

-------------
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:08
Originally posted by demon

They used the Solviet scientist for a while.

The science behind making Nuke is easy after Einstein.  But the engineering effort going in to make a Nuke is not.  It is hard work keeping the heavy water plant and all these stuff stable.

-------------

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet

Posted By: demon
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:15
It's even harder to refine Uranium into Plutonium

-------------
Grrr..

Posted By: YanWang
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:24

Damn, what are connection between chinese nukes and japanese flag?

North korea has nukes too.

-------------

What is Your Question Again?

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:34

aww... but at least Kim Jang-il's cute, he is so funny looking.

-------------

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 17:36
Originally posted by hansioux

aww... but at least Kim Jang-il's cute, he is so funny looking.

That's why Kim Jang-il can be an actor in an American Cartoon Movie,heheh

-------------
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 18:30

Hey Hansioux,

Peace,

Michael

9-2-2004

Right~That's my logic. It's also the logic of USA, when China had nuclear weapon they said we stolen technology from America ,hahah    That't the country you are  study now, I hope you can keep to be a saint.

Apparently you have never heard of "strawmanizing."  Yeah, that's what you did, you just strawmanized.  Just as I'm Chinese without holding Chinese nationalist logic, I'm American without holding American supremacist logic.  And I don't just study in America; it's my home country.

Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 01:11

Hey Hansioux,

Peace,

Michael

9-2-2004

Apparently you have never heard of "strawmanizing."  Yeah, that's what you did, you just strawmanized.  Just as I'm Chinese without holding Chinese nationalist logic, I'm American without holding American supremacist logic.  And I don't just study in America; it's my home country.

Okay, the key is here,there are true men hidding among strawmen.  Did you think Chinese embassy in  Jugoslavia was bombed by strawmen.  Yes, I believe American democracy. But democracy can be found only in America. As a country,America has its' own interests just like any sefish man around us.

-------------
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;

Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 01:44

Hey Hannibal,

You're not listening (reading.)  I'm not saying American government isn't nationlistic.  I'm not saying that some Americans aren't supremacists.  I'm saying that I'm not.  It's simple logic.  Some Americans are nationalistic doesn't mean all are.  By the same token, some Chinese are nationalistic, like yourself, but not all are.  One, such as myself, can be both American and Chinese without being nationalistic either way.  Btw, from what you wrote you clearly have no idea what strawmanizing means.  It means attacking the wrong issue.

Peace,

Michael

9-2-2004

Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 12:10

Hey Hannibal,

You're not listening (reading.)  I'm not saying American government isn't nationlistic.  I'm not saying that some Americans aren't supremacists.  I'm saying that I'm not.  It's simple logic.  Some Americans are nationalistic doesn't mean all are.  By the same token, some Chinese are nationalistic, like yourself, but not all are.  One, such as myself, can be both American and Chinese without being nationalistic either way.  Btw, from what you wrote you clearly have no idea what strawmanizing means.  It means attacking the wrong issue.

Peace,

Michael

9-2-2004

Nationalisic or not can not judge by oneself MengTzu...   And the best nationalist is a nationalist who pretended to be not...          

Mengtzu When you talked about Tibet and Xinjiang,you think in a rather American way,did you realize that?   

Besides, strawmanizing was not in my vocabulary, I learn it from you,Thx~

-------------
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;

Posted By: I/eye
Date Posted: 03-Sep-2004 at 15:55

Nationalisic or not can not judge by oneself MengTzu...  

k, then I'll be the judge.

MengTzu is not nationalistic.

-------------
[URL=http://imageshack.us]

Date Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 01:40

Hey Hannibal,

You just shot yourself in the foot again.  So far on this board I didn't say a thing about whether Tibet should have independence (I did in another board in the old All-empires.)  You cannot therefore judge my view on Tibet to be American or otherwise.

Peace,

Michael

9-3-2004

Date Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 09:36

Hey Hannibal,

You just shot yourself in the foot again.  So far on this board I didn't say a thing about whether Tibet should have independence (I did in another board in the old All-empires.)  You cannot therefore judge my view on Tibet to be American or otherwise.

Peace,

Michael

9-3-2004

Heheh, MengTuz ,I'll wait and see what's the content of your viewpoint about Tibet.

-------------
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;

Date Posted: 04-Sep-2004 at 13:12
I'm both a Korean and an American Nationalist, more of a moderate middle path nationalist though, if that's even possible...can the two go hand in hand?

BTW, my view on Tibet and Uygerstan...independance....Nei Mongolia should be given back to Mongolia....I dunno, my own crazy opinon...I don't want to argue with anyone about this...so please don't flame me or anything...

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 08-Sep-2004 at 22:50

the original is a sun~~~

Posted By: lars573
Date Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 12:18
The Japanese flag with the red sun casting rays on a white back ground was and still is the naval ensign. The reason I know this is bevause a Japanese maritime self defense force ship was in port here about a year ago. Basically there are 2 types of flags flown on a ship the jack and the ensign.  The ensign is flown on the rear of the ship and it is usually some take off of the countries national flag. This was a practice started by the british and copied by other naitons, the british royal navy ensign is the red cross of st. George on a white background with the union jack in the upper right quadrant. Hell the union jack is called that because the jack is flown on the bow of the ship usually just in port. The US navy does the opposite the stars and stripes is used as the ensign and the blue canton of stars is used as the jack.

Date Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 12:46
I will now explain to everyone why Japan is the Land of the Rising Sun.

let's imagine that this face is the sun=
let's imagine that this is the land of Japan= HHHHHH

Once upon a time, Japan looked like this.

---->sun
HHHHHHHHHHH   ---->land

However, as time went on, Japan started to sink! So Japan started to look like this.

---->sun

HHHHHHHHHHH   ---->land

as more time went on, the volcanoes of Japan continued to undermine the islands' ground base, and the islands started to sink further and faster.... to look like this.

--->                 --->
HHHHHHHHHHH       
                    HHHHHHHHHHH            HHHHHHHHHHH

Given that the height of the sun is relative to one's sea level while viewing the sun.... To a Japanese, Japan looked like this.

--->                    --->
HHHHHHHHHHH        & nbsp;  HHHHHHHHHHH     &n bsp;      HHHHHHHHHHH

Therefore, the Japanese claiim that Japan is the land of the rising sun... However, since Korea isn't sinking like Japan, we can literally see Japan sinking. View of Japan from Korea is like this.

(future)
Korea   Japan --> Korea         & nbsp;  --> Korea
                                Japan                   ~~~~~~
                                                       Japan

According to geologists, Japan is surely sinking. This sinking of Japan has been addressed here as a joke, but in truth, the Japanese are very very scared. Japan, I bid thee farewell... Perhaps the Japanese's ingenious survival abilities, and the supremacy of Japan shall manifest itself by having the Japanese survive the sinking of their own land... I wonder, when Japan goes under water, will the people evolve into sea people aka mermaids and mermen?

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 16:15

there not the only ones, Saudi Arabia is sinking too, as are parts of the Liousianna delta

But by the time these t5hings sink there probably wont be any humans left anyway or well live in hovering cities like the Jetsons

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 05:39
Actually, I believe that the sinking of Japan will happen faster than many laymen assume. It obviously won't happen in our lifetime, and will happen many generations later. However, the Japanese government sees this as a great threat to the survival of Japan and is experimenting with technologies that will allow subterranean survival. Also, Japan is involved in coastal water reinforcements that will hopefully slow down the sinking. Seeing how practical of a country Japan is, the Japanese government will not be involved in such actions unless the sinking of Japan is an immiment threat.

That makes me wonder... will Japan be like Atlantis one day? Louissiana or Saudi Arabia is not as advanced as Japan and will not leave as much artifacts...

But I wonder... will people look back at Japan with honor, or as a failure?

How do people currently view Atlantis? A mere legend or a historical fact?

Did Atlantis sink because it was cursed for it immorality? I wonder...

Posted By: Evildoer
Date Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 17:53

The sun looks like this?  lol.

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 20:12

Hey Moonster,

Since this sinking process must have occurred over a very long period of time, it seems very unlikely that the Japanese actually recorded this process.  Besides, can you really tell that you're getting further and further away from the sun?  Sorry if I missed your point.  I also can't tell the difference between the first and second diagrams.

Peace,

Michael

10-6-2004

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com