Print Page | Close Window

Female rulers

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: Women's History
Forum Discription: Discuss women in history and other historical topics from a feminine perspective !
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4060
Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 21:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Female rulers
Posted By: Raider
Subject: Female rulers
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 07:51

Were there any female rulers in your country before the modern times? Was she a great queen or just puppet? What did your people think about a female ruler?

In Hungary there were two ruling queen both named Mary. (It is an interesting coincidence that the patron of Hungary is Mary mother of Jesus).

Mary I was the daughter of Louis I the Great. She had a sad and short reign. She was prisoned, her mother was killed before her face. She died in a horse accident and her husband remainded the only ruler.

Mary II or Maria Theresia had a long reign. She was rather popular in Hungary for a Habsburg. Reportedly she crowned as a king, because a female rule was unacceptable. As a young queen attacked by her enemies she asked help for the Hungarian Diet with his crying baby. (In gossips she pinched him to cry.  ) So the Diet offered her Vitam et sanguinem and saved her queen.

Replies:
Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 08:51

We have none. It is strange that such a liberal and open minded country as Australia has had no real female in power (unless you include the almost totally ceremonial figureheads of Victoria and Elizabeth I). Before the British colonies here federated in 1901 women here already were effectively the equal of men in political terms. Colonies such as South Australia had given women the right to vote for the colonial parliament in the same capacity as men, and with the colonial government the way it was this was tantamount to electing the effective decision making body for their society.

Yet we are not even close to having a woman contend for power. There is a certain masculinity in the Aussie psyche, not a derogatory one which shuns women but simply one which exalts the "virile" characteristics of men in general. Because of this I think it will take a very long time before we see a woman effectively in charge here.

-------------

Posted By: Exarchus
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 08:55
We didn't ever had a real femalle ruler. Well at least no officialy, you could argue Fredegund ruled the country in place of her husband though.

-------------
Vae victis!

Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 09:22

We had also two empresses in Iran, Empress Buran (Purandokht) and Empress Azarmidokht, both of them were the daughters of Khosrow II (one of the greatest Sassanid kings), when Buran ascended to the throne, she attempted to bring stability to the empire. This stability, according to Tabari, was brought about by a peace treaty with Byzantium, the revitalizing of the empire through justice, rebuilding of the infrastructure, lowering of taxes, and minting coins. We know that Buran was acknowledged by all provinces, since throughout the empire various mints struck coins in her name.

Coin of Empress Buran

Buran was committed to reviving the memory and prestige of her father, when the Sassanid Empire had grown to its largest territorial extant.

But her sister Azarmidokht was not a great empress, she killed Farraokh Hormoz, one of the greatest Iranian Spahapats (Generals), just because he asked to marry her!

-------------

Posted By: baracuda
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 09:35
LOL maybe he was ugly

Posted By: Midas
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 09:37
Anatolia known as the land of mothers... THe real history of Turkish flag is, it's taken from Byzantines when conquer Istanbul in 1453 and they took it from older Anatolians... Moon was the symbol of motherearth and star was the symbol of mothers of Anatolians... So Anatolians were also rulled by a lot of women... Also Amazones are from Anatolia...

Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 10:17

Originally posted by Midas

Anatolia known as the land of mothers... THe real history of Turkish flag is, it's taken from Byzantines when conquer Istanbul in 1453 and they took it from older Anatolians... Moon was the symbol of motherearth and star was the symbol of mothers of Anatolians... So Anatolians were also rulled by a lot of women... Also Amazones are from Anatolia...

This is off topic so sorry about that. But I read once that Byzantium had the symbol of the moon since it was saved from an attack by Philip of Macedon. Apparently the light of the moon betrayed a planned night attack by Philip's men so that the Byzantines and their Athenian allies were able to stop the city being captured. In gratitude for this deliverance the ancient Byzantines adopted the moon as part of the symbolic paraphernalia of their city. I only read this once so I am not sure how valid this is. If someone could enlighten things further then please do. The rest of you, do better than me and stick to the topic.

-------------

Posted By: Lannes
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 11:50

Originally posted by Constantine XI

This is off topic so sorry about that. But I read once that Byzantium had the symbol of the moon since it was saved from an attack by Philip of Macedon. Apparently the light of the moon betrayed a planned night attack by Philip's men so that the Byzantines and their Athenian allies were able to stop the city being captured. In gratitude for this deliverance the ancient Byzantines adopted the moon as part of the symbolic paraphernalia of their city. I only read this once so I am not sure how valid this is. If someone could enlighten things further then please do. The rest of you, do better than me and stick to the topic.

I've never actually heard that, but it could very well be true.  Philip had indeed been repulsed in his attempts to take Byzantium and Perinthus (and interestingly enough, the Greeks called on the Persians to help them defend these cities). 

I generally hear that the crescent has something to do with Byzantium's patron diety, Diana, though.

-------------
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;

Posted By: Murtaza
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 12:06

We had a female president. Tansu Ciller,Ask her to greeks how  femini she is.

no more female

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 13:02

We have never had a female ruler.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 13:14
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

We have never had a female ruler.

unless you count pre-columbian city states. In that case you've had queen Sac K'uk' of Palenque.

-------------

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 14:58

well, but that reference is from the mesoamerican period. Even Tonalla had a female ruler. But , I was refering to Mexico as a country ( 1821 - )

Regards Mixcoatl

-------------

Posted By: Mosquito
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 18:52

Originally posted by Exarchus

We didn't ever had a real femalle ruler. Well at least no officialy, you could argue Fredegund ruled the country in place of her husband though.

You forgot Catherina de Medici, altough she was ruling trough her puppet sons. Not that she was really a ruler but her influence was strong.

Posted By: Behi
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 19:10

5000 years ago, women held power in burnt city

According to the research by an archeological team in the burnt city, women comprised the most powerful group in this 5000-year-old city.

The archeological team has found a great number of seals in the women's graves. In ancient societies, holding a seal was a sign of power, and was of 2 kinds: personal and governmental.

The burnt city ancient site located in Sistan-Baluchistan province, southeastern Iran, dates back to some 5000 years ago and belongs to a developed civilization living at the time when cities of the world were just beginning to form.

"In the ancient world, there were tools used as a means of economic control. Whoever had these tools at his disposal was among the most powerful people in the society", Mansour Sajjadi, the Iranian archeologist responsible for excavations in the burnt city told CHN.

According to Sajjadi, during the excavations in the burnt city cemetery, 90% of the graves in which the seals were found belonged to women. Only 5% of these seals were found in men's graves.

http://www.payvand.com/news/04/dec/1196.html - http://www.payvand.com/news/04/dec/1196.html

Add them To " Queen Puran Dokht & Queen Azar midokht "

-------------

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 19:17
We're getting the first female ruler in Germany in September and I'm not looking forward to it.
Not because she is a woman, but because she is a right-wing conservative.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Posted By: Richard XIII
Date Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 10:49
Queen Marie of Romania

-------------
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 11:09

For Luxembourg, there have been a couple in the 20th century, both of course constitutional monarchs. The Grand Duchess Marie Adelaide followed her father in 1912, but was forced to abdicate in 1919 because of her pro-German stance in WWI, in favour of her sister Grand Duchess Charlotte, who reigned until she abdicated in 1964 in favour of her son. She was immensely popular because of her steadfast ANTI-German stance in WWII.

Oddly though, Luxembourg's independence is partly due to the fact that sonse have primacy over daughters in the succession ('Semi-Salic Law'). Technically it became an independent country in 1867, but the King of the Netherlands was also Grand Duke of Luxembourg. In 1884 King William died, and his daughter, the redoubtable Wilhelmina, became Queen of the Netherlands. She was not however allowed to succeed in Luxembourg, where the succession went to a cousin who became Grand Duke Adolphe.

Much more significantly, much the same thing happened in 1837 when William IV of England, Scotland and so on died. For over a century the King of England had also been Elector of Hanover, with considerable German possessions [1]. Victoria succeeded him in England, but was not allowed to succeed in Hanover. Otherwise a large part of Germany would have continued to be effectively part of the United Kingdom, which could have made quite a bit of difference to subsequent history.

[1] Hence the Hessians that fought in the American War of Independence and the King's German Legion that fought in the Peninsular War.

Posted By: Gubook Janggoon
Date Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 14:28
Korea's had 3 queens.

Here in the States we're still waiting though.

-------------

Posted By: BlackPanther
Date Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 23:55

We had Jhansi Ki Rani..Rani in Hindi means Queen..Her real name awas Rani Lakshmi Bhai...She fought against the Britis Raj...But i can't find a good enough link for u guyzz to read..this is the best i could muster...

I'll let uknqw if i get more details...

http://www.freeindia.org/biographies/greatlkings/jhansi/ - http://www.freeindia.org/biographies/greatlkings/jhansi/

-------------
ACHTUNG!!!

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 07:26

As far as i can remember,in Ancient Hellas men had the political power whether they were in democracy or oligarchy but women,especially in Athens, had a very heavy say in the political scenery.During the Byzantine period the emperors were male,but many times their wives or mothers were really in charge.During the years after the liberation of Ottoman rule,men were again those who had the power.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Date Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 04:16

The gold forint of queen Mary I.

In one side the coat of arms of the hungarian-angevins, on the other St. Ladislaus.

Date Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 12:54
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Midas

The Byzanthine flag has nothing to do with older Ottoman flag.or Turkish flag. It symbolized the unity of east and west. But if you mean the flag of Istanbul (old Constantinopole) during the reign of Byzanthines, the symbols were totally Christian ones.

The main Ottoman flag which has three crescents on it was adopted by Alaeddin Keykubad, the Anatolian Seljuk sultan khan, to a far western "uchbeg", Ertugrul Beg. Another legend tells us that that flag was inspired by the dream of Gazi Osman Beg, when he saw his empire would rule the world. The three crescent symbol was a pure Turkic one.

The later Ottoman flag of a crescent and an eight pointed star was the symbol of universal rule and God's will since the shamanistic times. It was used on "shaman otag"s since thousands of years. Ottoman ruled that flag to symbolize the universal rule in three different continents, and the God's will's power. The red background symbolized the "west" and "western Turks". It still keeps its same format except the new style in crescent and the new five pointed star. These are the latest Ottoman symbols, shows our state being the successor state of the empire.

No women have ruled us during history oficially, except Tansu Ciller, but inoficially, we have been ruled by European women for long time periods. For example, Sultan Suleyman Khan didnt rule the empire at all, but Hurrem, a Tatar-Slavic mix woman, who was the "gzde" of Kanun. Oficially or not, all women rulings in our history were horrible disasters for us. Sorry for potential feminists among us, but women cant rule, they arent created for such specific and complicated jobs. We cant oppose natural laws. Man rulezz...

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 17:52

mod edit

-------------

Posted By: Menippos
Date Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 06:18
LOL

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Date Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 22:49
I think women can be capable given the right political apparatus to work in. Look at the British Empire, one of the most successful ever to reign. It began under a woman (Elizabeth I) with the official Imperial annexation of Newfoundland, reached the height of its power and splendour under another woman (Victoria - how suitable a name), and finally successfully made the peaceful transition from Imperialist power to modern national state under a third woman (the current Elizabeth II). So the British Empire began, climaxed and concluded in the best way possible all under female monarchs, not too shabby a record considering virtually every other reigning monarch in British history has been a man.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2005 at 06:02

Mary II (Maria Theresia) was an interesting personality. She was a child of her age and she always emphasized that women have to accept their subjection by ther husbands. Still she was who really ruled instead of her imperial husband. (Who was expert in finances, and paid the war of his wife.  ) She ruled as an weak women who needs advices from her advisor, but she was the one who decided. I think her main talent was finding the adequate person for the adequate job.

her painting by Martin van Meytens:

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 21:28

Just saw this thread:

I think it is ironic that before the French Revolution, there were various monarchs who were women:

Elizabeth of England

Maria Theresa of Austria and Hungary

Catherine of Russia

As well as very influential mistresses and regents (in France and Spain).

After the great emancipation of the French Revolution, the female seems to have been relegated to the boudoir. 

Date Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 07:12
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Just saw this thread:

I think it is ironic that before the French Revolution, there were various monarchs who were women:

Elizabeth of England

Maria Theresa of Austria and Hungary

Catherine of Russia

As well as very influential mistresses and regents (in France and Spain).

After the great emancipation of the French Revolution, the female seems to have been relegated to the boudoir. 

Well, for the last 200 years monarchs haven't been so important, and for almost a century there haven't been any, male or female, in Russia and Austria.

But Victoria, Wilhelmina, Elizabeth II, Juliana, Beatrix... since 1815 the UK and the Netherlands have had queens for longer than kings. (Plus Margrethe of Denmark, and probably others.)

Date Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 09:43

Yes, there are and have been reigning women, but the short list was of ruling women.

Since the Fr. Rev., it has been a boy's club only.

Posted By: mord
Date Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 13:21

Queen Margaret of Denmark--ruled during the 14th Century. 

Mord

-------------
errr...left turn at vinland?

Date Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 13:53
Originally posted by mord

Queen Margaret of Denmark--ruled during the 14th Century. 

Mord

Well I meant the present one, but you're correct (as far as I know)

Date Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 14:01
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Yes, there are and have been reigning women, but the short list was of ruling women.

Since the Fr. Rev., it has been a boy's club only.

Since the French revolution there haven't meen many ruling monarchs of either sex.

As for ruling women since then - Indira Gandhi, Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir, Mrs Bandaranaike,  Benazir Bhutto... all in the last 50 years. All made bigger impressions than most male leaders of their country.

In fact, if you asked anyone not actually from India, Ceylon, the UK, Israel, and Pakistan what non-current prime ministers of those countries they could name, I bet the women would be included.

Date Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 14:11
Oh, sorry....I was thinking only of ruling monarchs.

Posted By: Morgoth
Date Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 07:00

We have none. It is strange that such a liberal and open minded country as Australia has had no real female in power (unless you include the almost totally ceremonial figureheads of Victoria and Elizabeth I).

However, Queen Elizabeth II is currently Australia's head of state.

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 14:25

Victoria may have given her name to an era, but what part did she actually play in the Empire? she was as much a figurehead as Elizabeth II is today, Victoria was the first real modern monarch in Britain, and doesnt deserve any credit for the Empires power and domination.

However Victoria (unless im very much mistaken) ruled/been head of state over more people across the globe than any other woman in history, possible exception of the current queen not sure of the population of the Commonwealth.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Posted By: Bilge_Kagan
Date Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 17:09

Absolutely wrong. The flag which contains moon and star, has been made when " Abdulhamit II" was Padishah ( or abdulhamit I ). But you have to learn something about Moon and star. Today, moon and star symbolises " Islamic faith " but, there are some findings in " Kyrgyzistan " now. In these findings, there are " Gokturk coins " and these coins contains " moon and star " . So we can easily say that, moon and star, after the Turks became very important and strong in Islamic world, became Islam's symbol. I think, we didn't take anything from Byzantines except for Istanbul

Btw. You know, Turks are seperated in " boy "s. So every " boy " has its culture ( but these cultures nearly same... ). Some of these boys were allowing womans to became " Hatun " and rule. We know that, especially " Sibir "s and " Pecenek"s were allowing womans...( i can post smth. here but i can't translate it to English... )

Oh... by the way, Sorry for my bad english ....

-------------
Ey Turk budunu ! Sozumu iit ! Saglamca dinle ! Ustte Gok Basmasa. Altta Yer Delinmese Ilini Toreni Kim Bozabilir ? Titre ve Kendine gel !

Bilge Kagan

Date Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 15:09
Originally posted by Heraclius

Victoria may have given her name to an era, but what part did she actually play in the Empire? she was as much a figurehead as Elizabeth II is today, Victoria was the first real modern monarch in Britain, and doesnt deserve any credit for the Empires power and domination.

However Victoria (unless im very much mistaken) ruled/been head of state over more people across the globe than any other woman in history, possible exception of the current queen not sure of the population of the Commonwealth.

Actually Victoria was the head of state of the most territories in history. I won't disregard her as simply a figurehead, she was a powerful anchor of dignity and respect which subjects around the world would readily devote their loyalty to. No small thing in a global empire of vastly differing peoples and cultures. Elizabeth II actually is not head of state for all the Commonwealth countries, the vast bulk have gained their own head of state since their independence. Currently Lizzy is head of state of only the UK, Australia, New Zealand and Jamaica.

-------------

Posted By: Aygucu Tonyukuk
Date Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 15:13
Originally posted by Bilge_Kagan

Absolutely wrong. The flag which contains moon and star, has been made when " Abdulhamit II" was Padishah ( or abdulhamit I ). But you have to learn something about Moon and star. Today, moon and star symbolises " Islamic faith " but, there are some findings in " Kyrgyzistan " now. In these findings, there are " Gokturk coins " and these coins contains " moon and star " . So we can easily say that, moon and star, after the Turks became very important and strong in Islamic world, became Islam's symbol. I think, we didn't take anything from Byzantines except for Istanbul

Btw. You know, Turks are seperated in " boy "s. So every " boy " has its culture ( but these cultures nearly same... ). Some of these boys were allowing womans to became " Hatun " and rule. We know that, especially " Sibir "s and " Pecenek"s were allowing womans...( i can post smth. here but i can't translate it to English... )

Oh... by the way, Sorry for my bad english ....

Bilge Kagan Agha,
Sibir Katun was called "Tomris" and there is an epope about her.

-------------
Turkish History Forum
www.turktarihi.net

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 18:14

Im not challenging Victorias contribution to the monarchy, its credibility, and reputation in that respect she was fantastic. However in terms of empire, she wasnt particularly involved, she was often simply a pawn in the Disraeli-Gladstone political war, Disraeli was often able to coax her into supporting yet more conquests and the expanding of the empire. The title of Empress of India for example.

The empire builders are often overlooked due to the towering shadow of Victoria.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Date Posted: 10-Jul-2005 at 20:45
Yes I don't dispute that, she wasn't the main decider of Imperial policy. More definitely a reinforcer of imperial policy than a planner or implementer of it.

-------------

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 01:20
Armenia  had a queen named Erato sometime before Christ.

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Hormoz
Date Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 05:36

Persia:  the Grand Admiral of King Xerxes' fleet, as well as queen of the satrapy of Cilicia, was a woman named Artemisia.

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 05:47
Originally posted by Hormoz

Persia:  the Grand Admiral of King Xerxes' fleet, as well as queen of the satrapy of Cilicia, was a woman named Artemisia.

She was not the admiral of the fleet, she only commanded the ships that she contributed to the Persian fleet.

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 05:50

Do you think that queens are usually more peacul rulers than kings?

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 19:34
Navarre had many queens in the last centuries of existence as inependent country, sadly at that time my part of the country had already been annexed by Castile.

1274-1305 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_I_of_Navarre" title="Joan I of Navarre - Joan I of Navarre - seeking protection against Castilian and Aragonese intervention she married Philip IV of France, uniting the dynasties for some time. The French kings ruled ignoring the Laws of the Country.
1328-49 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_II_of_Navarre" title="Joan II of Navarre - Joan II of Navarre - she would have also reigned in France would there had not been for the Salic law, that succession gave birth to the Hundred Years' War. With her, French and Navarrese dynasties get separated for about two centuries. This was a relief for Navarre, which was in constant uprising against French centralism.
1425-41 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanche_of_Navarre" title="Blanche of Navarre - Blanche of Navarre - she comitted the error of marrying two successive heirs of the crown of Aragon, what would be pretext for future intervetion of that kingdom into the sovereign affairs of Navarre. Her children were all killed on orders of their own father, who had other projects in mind.
1479 Blanche II and Eleanor of Navarre, both successively killed by their father, John of Aragon.
1483-1516 Catherine of Navarre - she witnessed the loss of most of its territories to the Spanish invaders (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_III_of_Navarre" title="John III of Navarre - John of Albret , her husband). She gave protection to Cesare Borgia, the ill-fated son of the infamous Pope Alexander VI, who died defending Biana. Borgia, married within the Foix family, had given protection to Navarre before when in more powerful position.
1555-1572 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_d%27Albret" title="Jeanne d'Albret - Jeanne d'Albret - mother of Henry III of Navarre and IV of France, reigned only in the north. She introduced Calvinism in the kingdom and favored the Huguenots of France. She is the last monarch of Navarre only, her son and grandson would be also kings of France and later Navarre would be absorbed by this much larger state.

Unlike in France and other places, Navarrese right allowed women to inherit the throne and all monarchs were subject to public oath of the parlamentary Laws of the Kingdom, custom that has continued till present day in most of its former territories.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Bilge_Kagan
Date Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 14:17

Do you think that queens are usually more peacul rulers than kings?

Yes we can say that, because women are the best in diplomacy ( not only in politics, look at around, all of the " intelligent women " are really good diplomats ( really they can make somebody to believe something easily, i know because i seperated from my girlfriend ). So if they rule, they can easily solve something by  talking  , not by fighting... ( you know russian female ruler Katerina was "talking" (!) very good, so she could save her army from "Baltaci Mehmet Pasha" - only joking, i will post something "real" about this event- ) ) Intelligent women rule this way but, if all the women or a stupid woman rule, we can say " that's the most bad thing ". Let's have a look at some events about Turkey...

When "Tansu Ciller" time, an american dolar was nearly "16000" Turkish lira ( i know it's very high, but wait... ), tansu ciller was an economist but she was really stupid that "1000000 +" Turkish lira became 1 usd. She made a lot of mistakes and made our people really poor.

And Ottoman Empire, one of our wars with the " Safevis " is the subject. This time of Ottoman empire is "women rule" time ( you know; mother sultans, harem etc. ). Ottoman army defeated Safevi army but they wanted from Safevis only " Watermelons and Silk ". That shows us if women rule, what can happen. ( by the way, i cannot remember name of the war... )

These were only little examples about bad events. Not all of the woman rulers bad ( for example Tomris, Mumtaz Mahal ( ruler was Shah Cihan but he was asking about everything to his wife ), Margaret Thatcher etc... ) I think, we shouldn't break reality of the nature; "Man Rules !"

-------------
Ey Turk budunu ! Sozumu iit ! Saglamca dinle ! Ustte Gok Basmasa. Altta Yer Delinmese Ilini Toreni Kim Bozabilir ? Titre ve Kendine gel !

Bilge Kagan

Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 23-Jul-2005 at 19:49
Yes women have successfully brought a "peaceful" civilization today. But it only is getting worse and worse everyday as males tries to vent their lost power throught different sources that show our civilization is decadend. In the U.S. feminism has practically destroyed the family and rasised the instability in society to new heights. I believe this is one of the reasons why the U.S. is in such a domestic crisis today. Multiculturalism is another byproduct of the liberalism that has gripped the easter half on the U.S and coupled with the Jewish owned media it is really destroying America. Not that I am a fervent conservative but if you live in the U.S. and especially New York where the white population is disappearing this is painfully obvious.

-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao

Posted By: oodog
Date Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 14:56

The first and only empress in Chinese history was Wu Zetian (625-705). She was a cruel woman. but generally speaking, as the ruler of the Tang Empire, she did a good job. Besides, there were over a dozen of queens served as regents in many dynasties. They made the contemporery emperors puppets.

Empress Wu Zetian

Posted By: demon
Date Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 16:17

Korea had Sunduk queen(632~646, 27th "king" of Shilla) during shilla:

Her name was duckman.  She entered in the reign where the three korean states (koguryo, bekjae, shilla) were fighting fiercely, and made ties with Tang, strengthening national security.  She also encouraged the smart ones in religion, politics, mathematics, and science to lead the nation.  Like she was the founding "father" to korean unification.

During her era, she ordered the building of the "chum-sung-de" to observe stars and constellations. 

It's mathematical in that there  are 12 founding stones, 30 stones high, all these mathematical measurements, and most important of all, 366 stones (actually its 365 stones and one half stone- the half stone got lost or something) in total. 

Myung sung hwang hoo- last queen of Korea.  She came to power in 16, tried to gain power, brought the three border nations to korea, and was assasinated in the hands of japanese end. 

[img] http://cont1.edunet4u.net/soo9443/images/meyngsung.jpg/img - http://cont1.edunet4u.net/soo9443/images/meyngsung.jpg[/img ]

That's like the two main queens in Korea. 

-------------
Grrr..

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 14:09
In Serbia there was not crowned queens like other countries, but there were female rulers. Ljubica was wife of duke Milosh Obrenovic. She was very important in state bussines(mostly because her husband did't know to read and write). She even killed (with her own hands) one of his mistresses who became too important. And there was Draga Mashin, wife of king Aleksandar Obrenovic. Eventually, she lead him to death in 1903, because he married her even tough she was divorced, and because she could't have children. There was also Jelena, wife of king Urosh the First, who was the dauther of a french duke. She was very beautifil, and her husband made her a beautiful garden and castle. Another Jelena, was the sister of a bulgarian king, and she was married to a king (later emperor) Dushan the Great(grandson of Urosh the First and Jelena). She was very influental, but she made a crutial mistake: she prosveded her husband to help John Kantakuzen to get to a Byzintian throne. At first he try to help him, but finally when he refused John found an aliance in Turkish tribes. He brought them to Balkans. Dushan saw the danger, and he asked the pope to help him evict the nonchristians. The pope refused. Turks ruled the Balkans for almost 7 centuries. All thanks to Jelena.

-------------

Posted By: ok ge
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 13:26

Zenobia (or Xenobia) is the name commonly used for the daughter of (= "bat" or "bath") Zabaai ben Selim. The widow of Septimius Odenathus, she reigned as Queen of Palmyra from 267 to 272 as regent for her infant son Vabalathus. Something of a militant, she embarked on a campaign of conquests that eventually saw her as the ruler of much of Syria and Asia Minor. By playing off Persia to the east against Rome to the west, she hoped to dominate them both.

In 269, she crushed an Egyptian who challenged Roman rule and proclaimed herself Queen of Egypt. She claimed to be descended from Cleopatra VII of Egypt and Mark Antony (and many modern historians believe she was), as well as Dido (the supposed founding queen of Carthage, according to the Aeneid) and declared herself the political heiress of both.

The Roman emperor Aurelian led a military campaign that resulted in the conquest of her kingdom in 272. Zenobia was captured and paraded wearing gold chains in Aurelian's Triumph (274). She was granted a villa in Tibur (now Tivoli, Italy), where she spent the rest of her life as a philosopher and socialite. Some historians (ancient and modern) believe she married a Roman senator and that they had children, so the line continued at least into the 4th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenobia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenobia

Queen Zenobia's Last Look upon Palmyra, Herbert G. Schmalz

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Posted By: mamikon
Date Posted: 16-Jan-2006 at 23:21
An interesting fact. Queen Victoria I of United Kingdom (ruled  1837 - 1901) was a descendant of King Geroge I, who was a direct descendant of King Tigranes II (Tigranes the Great) of Armenia, who died in 56 BC. Tigranes the Great was the 57th Great Grandfather of George I. No joke, check it out yourselves.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7Ejamesdow/s010/f177262.htm - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jamesdow/s010/f1772 62.htm

you can trace your family too

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 22:39
I think Europe is making a big step forward with a conservative in power in Germany. Now just a few more leftist socialists to knock out starting with..lets say.... Jacques Chirac!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 07:10
Chirac is tory and you are off topic. 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 16:46

In Sweden there were a 2 female rulers which the people of Sweden counts are real rulers. There were many other queens but they did not govern the country.:

Christina of Sweden

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jump to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Sweden#column-one - navigation , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Sweden#searchInput - search
  Swedish Royalty

House of Vasa

Gustav I
Children
   Prince Eric
   Prince John
   Princess Catherine
   Princess Cecilia
   Prince Magnus
   Princess Anna
   Princess Sofia
   Princess Elizabeth
   Prince Charles
Eric XIV
Children
   Princess Sigrid
   Prince Gustav
John III
Children
   Prince Sigismund
   Princess Anna
   Prince John
Sigismund
Children
   Wladislaus
   John Casimir
   John Albert
   Charles Ferdinand
   Alexander Charles
   Anna Catherine Konstantia
Charles IX
Children
   Princess Catherine
   Prince Gustav Adolf
   Princess Maria Elizabeth
   Princess Christina
   Prince Carl Philip
Grandchildren
   Charles X Gustav
Gustav II Adolf
Children
   Princess Christina
Christina

Christina (Kristina) (December 8, 1626 April 19, 1689), later known as Maria Christina Alexandra and sometimes Count Dohna, was Queen regnant of Sweden from 1632 to 1654. She was the only legitimate child of King Gustav II Adolf. As the heiress presumptive she succeeded her father to the throne of Sweden upon his death at the Battle of Ltzen (November 6, 1632) during Sweden's intervention in Germany in the Thirty Years' War.

Contents

[hide]
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Sweden#Early_life - 1 Early life
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Sweden#Queen_regnant - 2 Queen regnant
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Sweden#Abdication - 3 Abdication
    • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Sweden#Political_contributions - 3.1 Political contributions
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Sweden#Setting_off_to_Rome - 4 Setting off to Rome
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Sweden#Heritage - 5 Heritage
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Sweden#See_also - 6 See also
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_of_Sweden#References - 7 References

< =text/> //

Early life

Christina was born in Stockholm and the birth occurred during a rare astrological conjunction that fueled great speculation on what influence the child, fervently hoped to be a boy, would have later on the world stage. Reportedly she was so hairy and large that the midwives in fact prematurely called out that a boy had been born [1]. Her gender identity was never clear cut. She was educated in the manner typical of men, and frequently wore men's clothes (such as dresses with short skirts, stockings and shoes with high heels - all these features being useful when not riding pillion). This has caused her to later become an icon of the transgendered community. During the 20th century, her grave was opened so that her death mask could be examined. While the grave was open, a team of scientists examined her bones in an attempt to determine if she was intersexual, but they were not able to come to a clear conclusion.

Queen Christina's mother, Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg, came from the Hohenzollern family. She was a woman of quite distraught temperament, and her attempts to bestow guilt on Christina for her difficult birth, or just the horror story itself, may have prejudiced Christina against the prospect of having to produce a heir to the throne.

Her father gave orders that Christina should be brought up as a prince. Even as a child she displayed a precociousness that astonished the brilliant philosopher Descartes, who had been invited from France to tutor her.

Queen regnant

(N.B. all Swedish Monarchs are styled King. Kung denoting Monarch Regnant, Drottning denoting Queen Consort.)

The Crown of Sweden was inherited in the family of Vasa, and from Charles IX's time excluding those Vasa princes who had been traitors or descend from deposed monarchs. Gustav Adolph's younger brother had died years ago, and therefore there were only females left. Despite of the fact that there were living female lines descended from elder sons of Gustav I Vasa, Christina was the heiress presumptive.

National policy was directed during the first half of Christina's reign by her guardian, regent and adviser Axel Oxenstierna, chancellor to her father and until her majority in 1644 the principal member of the governing regency council. As ruler, Christina resisted demands from the other estates (clergy, burgesses and peasants) in the Riksdag of the Estates of 1650 for the reduction of tax-exempt noble landholdings.

Abdication

Christina came under the influence of Catholics and then abdicated her throne on June 5, 1654 in favour of her cousin Charles Gustavus in order to either practice openly her previously secret Catholicism, or to accept the same publicly so as to be at the center of a scientific and artistic renaissance.

The sincerity of her conversion has been disputed. Actually, in the eyes of her critics, there were many causes which might ostensibly have predisposed her to what was, after all, anything but an act of self-renunciation. First of all she could not have ignored the increasing discontent with her arbitrary and wasteful ways. Within ten years she had created 17 counts, 46 barons and 428 lesser nobles; to provide these new peers with adequate appanages, she had sold or mortgaged crown property representing an annual income of 1,200,000 riksdaler. There were clear signs that Christina was growing weary of the cares of what remained a provincial government; even if with large conquered territory.

Political contributions

The importunity of the senate and Riksdag on the question of her marriage was a constant source of irritation. In retirement she could devote herself wholly to art and science, and the opportunity of astonishing the world by the unique spectacle of a great queen, in the prime of life, voluntarily resigning her crown, strongly appealed to her vivid imagination. It is certain that towards the end of her reign she behaved as if she were determined to do everything in her power to make herself as little missed as possible. From 1651 there was a notable change in her behaviour. She cast away every regard for the feelings and prejudices of her people. She ostentatiously exhibited her contempt for the Protestant religion. Her foreign policy was flighty to the verge of foolishness. She contemplated an alliance with Spain, a state quite outside the orbit of Sweden's influence, the first fruits of which were to have been an invasion of Portugal. She utterly neglected affairs in order to plunge into a whirl of dissipation with her foreign favorites. The situation became impossible, and it was with an intense feeling of relief that the Swedes saw her depart, in masculine attire, under the name of Count Dohna.

Setting off to Rome

Upon conversion she took a new name Maria Christina Alexandra and moved to Rome, where her wealth and former position made her a centre of society. Her status as the most notable convert to Catholicism of the age, and as the most famous woman at the time (even exceeding Elizabeth I of England), made it possible for her to ignore or flout the most common requirements of obeisance to the Catholic faith. She herself remarked that her Catholic faith was not of the common order; indeed, before converting she had queried from church officials how strictly she would be expected to obey the church's common observances, and received reassurances.

While in Rome, she engaged in numerous world-political intrigues, particularly in concert with the Catholic Church's clandestine group of troubleshooters, the squadrones volantes. Growing wearied of acting behind the scenes in her later years, she made several attempts to gain the crown of a country, even launching an abortive attempt to reclaim the Swedish throne.

She left her large and important library to the Papacy on her death (April 19, 1689).

She is only one of four women to be given the honour of being buried in the crypt of St. Peter's Basilica, alongside the remains of the popes. A monument to her was carved later on and adorns a column close to the permanent display of Michelangelo's Piet.

Heritage

Christina's reign was controversial, and literature circulated during her lifetime that described her as participating in multiple affairs with both men and women. This, along with the emotional letters that she wrote to female friends, has caused her to become an icon for the lesbian community.

The complex character of Christina has inspired numerous plays, books, and operatic works, including the classic feature film Queen Christina in 1934. It starred another complex female Swedish character who was herself suspected of being lesbian Greta Garbo. Another feature film, The Abdication starred the Norwegian actress Liv Ullmann, and was based on a play by Ruth Wolff.

See also

Preceded by:
Gustav II Adolf
Monarch of Sweden
Succeeded by:
Charles X

Ulrika Eleonora of Sweden

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jump to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulrika_Eleonora_of_Sweden#column-one - navigation , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulrika_Eleonora_of_Sweden#searchInput - search
  Swedish Royalty

House of Pfalz-Zweibrcken

Charles X Gustav
Children
   Prince Charles
Charles XI
Children
   Princess Hedwig Sophia
   Prince Charles
   Princess Ulrika Eleonora
Charles XII
Ulrika Eleonora

Ulrika Eleonora (February 23, 1688 November 24, 1741) was Queen regnant of Sweden from November 30, 1718, to February 29, 1720, and then Queen consort until her death. The youngest child of King Charles XI and Queen Ulrike Eleonora, she was named after her mother. Upon the untimely and debated death of her brother, King Charles XII, at Fredrikshald on November 30, 1718, the succession discussions ultimately ended up in her favour, after she had accepted to abolish the absolute monarchy.

In 1715 she had married Landgrave Friedrich I of Hesse-Kassel, whose counsel she constantly sought in political matters. She even wanted him to officially become co-regent, but this was not allowed, and instead she abdicated in his favour after just one year of reign. Friedrich succeeded her on the Swedish throne as King Frederick I. Queen Ulrika Eleonora died of smallpox in 1741 after a childless marriage. The reigns of Ulrika Eleonora and her husband saw the birth of the era of Swedish history that is traditionally called the Age of Liberty, where the monarch had to give up most of his power to the aristocracy.

See also

Preceded by:
Charles XII
Monarch of Sweden
Succeeded by:
Frederick I
Retrieved from " http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulrika_Eleonora_of_Sweden - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulrika_Eleonora_of_Sweden "

-------------

Posted By: Ellinas
Date Posted: 21-Jan-2006 at 15:47

During Byzantine period the women rulers we had were empress Zoi, empress Theodora and Irene the Athenian.

Greece had no other women rulers before or after the Byzantine era.

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 18:27
the Ottomans had a female ruler too, it whas iirc her name Hurrem Sultan, she ruled trough his husband first then later through her sons. She had a great influence in the Ottomans, also a detail she whas from Greek origin

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: bleda
Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 18:32
hurrem wasnt greek origin she was russians

-------------

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 19:27
Originally posted by bleda

hurrem wasnt greek origin she was russians

then it whasnt Hurrem, sorry cant remember her name.

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 09:54

I recently discovered that the kingdoms of Nubia had more ruling Queens(Queens who ruled by themselves) than any other civilization in history.

-------------
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.

Posted By: Mythica
Date Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 11:44
Yeah I'm currently reading a historical fiction on Cleopatra VII and in it, they talk about how Nubia is typically ruled by Queens. It also talks about how the Queens were expected to be overweight because her physical size was associated with her power - I don't know how true that is though, I could not find any info on it.

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 08:55
Originally posted by Mythica

Yeah I'm currently reading a historical fiction on Cleopatra VII and in it, they talk about how Nubia is typically ruled by Queens. It also talks about how the Queens were expected to be overweight because her physical size was associated with her power - I don't know how true that is though, I could not find any info on it.

Yes indeed, these Nubian Queens ruled what is now Ethiopia, Sudan, and parts of Egypt, and many of them are depicted as being slightly overweight, or in modern terms "thick", as a sign of absolute power.

-------------
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.

Posted By: Mythica
Date Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 14:00
In that case, the book may have exaggerated it because the Nubian queen we meet is described more as obese than "thick". Of course what they considered obese and we consider it may have been very different.

Date Posted: 16-Aug-2008 at 15:40
In the UK the standout female ruler before modern times was to be Elizabeth I she ran the country in her own way, was never a pupet (she refused to marry) and although like all monarch she had advisers such as buhrley and ceil on whom she relied for advise she still very much ran the country.

prioir to this there was her sister mary who once again connot be described as a pupet she ruthlessly pursued the reintroduction of what she bleived to be the true faith (catholisism) and purseued against many powrful mens wishes her marrige to philip of spain (moreover he left england soon after them arrige so thieri s no argument that he controlled her)

Moreover i disagree the Victoria was a mere figure head Elizabeth II yes but victoria often made forrays into policts had close relationships with her prime ministers i.e. disreli and it is prehaps the role of the monarch despite sex by the period rather than her being female which give the suggestion that she was a puppet but i dont bleive this to be the case.

there was also a queen anne who co ruled england with her husband but i know almost nothing about her.

hope this helps  

Posted By: Eigon
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 13:53
Queen Anne - there was a rhyme about her at the time which went
"She sometimes counsel took
And sometimes tea."

I don't think her contemporaries were too impressed with her.

By Victoria's time, the political situation in England had changed.  Elizabeth was much more of a direct ruler than Victoria because she could be.  Victoria had to work through Parliament, hence her close associations with her Prime Ministers.  Elizabeth didn't even have a prime minister - the post wasn't invented until the beginning of the 18thC (Walpole was the first recognisable prime minister as we understand it today).

Posted By: Eun Seok
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2009 at 11:50
Didn't know that before.

I thought women had no political powers at all in ancient Greece.

In Korea, there were three queens who held power.
Queen Seon-deok, Queen Jin-deok, Queen Jin-seong.
All three of them were the queens in the ancient Korean nation of 'Silla'.

In ancient Korea, women were treated almost equal to men. Polygamy was illigal(though king had alot of wives), and women had a strong voice.
Some king's wives were even widows or divoriced women, which is really shocking in today Koreans' point of view.
Women's rights decreased sharply after a group called 'Sarim' rose to power in Korea after late 16th century.
They were strict followers of Sung Confucianism, one of the teachings of Confucianism, and one of the basis of this teaching was '男尊女卑'(nam-jeon-yeo-bi = men are superior than women).
'Sarim' amplified this teaching of '男尊女卑' and the women's power started to decrease ever since.

(Think I got out of the topic;;)

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com