Print Page | Close Window

Pics of Arnauts

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: Historical Pictures Gallery
Forum Discription: Post and discuss images of historical places, arts and maps...
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3980
Printed Date: 28-Mar-2024 at 13:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pics of Arnauts
Posted By: TheodoreFelix
Subject: Pics of Arnauts
Date Posted: 14-Jun-2005 at 22:57
Scroll down for all the pics!

Replies:
Posted By: Murtaza
Date Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 02:59

They dont look like a Turk much.

Maybe They are the soldier of Mehmet Ali.  Most probably, I heard some albanian soldiers in Cairo,(Rebeling  Ottomans. It looks like you realy love to do it) But I wont call  them Turkanized because They love nargile.

Posted By: baracuda
Date Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 03:49
"Arnavut" - isnt a turk at all Murtaza, the word in general is used for ex-yugoslavs of non-turkic origin.. havent seen it used for greeks also though..

numbering the pics from 1-7.

6. Is labeled "Bashi-Bazouk Singing"
7. Is labeled "Bashi-Bazouk and his Dog"

Here is another one..

"Young Greeks at the Mosque"

All done by
Jean-Leon Gerome (1824-1904). French painter and sculptor. He was a pupil of Paul Delaroche and inherited his highly finished academic style. Gerome travelled widely in Turkey, Egypt and North Africa. A sculptor as well as a painter, his female figures have the same classical precision of Ingres, but are in much more realistic poses. His best-known works are his oriental scenes. Two typical examples are in the Wallace Collection, London. They won Gerome great popularity and he had considerable influence as an upholder of academic tradition and enemy of progressive trends in art. He was not a big fan of Impressionist art.

An explanation of the "bashi-bazouk"
A bashi-bazouk (in Turkish başıbozuk, meaning leaderless) was an irregular mounted mercenary soldier of the Ottoman army. The bashi-bazouk were notorious for being brutal and indisciplined. They were recruited from homeless, vagrants, criminals, slaves and prisoners of war. Foreign mercenaries and volunteers could also be hired to the corps.

In turkish it sort of means, like 'malfunctioning head'

Date Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 16:15

Sorry i found them in another forum... Thats how they were given. Ill correct this then.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 16:19

baracuda

Why are they wearing like this?

Do you have any link explain basıbozuks?

Date Posted: 15-Jun-2005 at 18:53
bah they messed up cuz I changed my preferences. Ill fix them later

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 12:38
Originally posted by Murtaza

baracuda
Why are they wearing like this?
Do you have any link explain basıbozuks?

its their national dress.. I believe its the greek national dress. But there are also other bashi-bozouks black etc.. I'll post the pictures again..

Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 12:49
"Bashi-Bazouk and his Dog"

"Prayer in the House of an Arnaut Chief"

"The Chess Players"

"Arnauts of Cairo at the Gate of Bab-el-Nasrc"

"Arnaut Smoking"

"A Joke"

"Bashi-Bazouk Singing"

"Black Bashi-Bazouk"

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 13:50

This guy look like a tranny.

Freddy Mercury at home. lool

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 13:55

what is the link of this pictures, If they are devsirmah why are they wearing their national dress?

Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 14:04
"Zagros Purya" LOL haha

"Murtaza"
they are not devsirmah, they are mercenaries from the homeless, vagrants, criminals, slaves and prisoners of war, foreign mercenaries and foreign volunteers... sort of the french foreign legion of its day.. so thats why they wear their own national dresses..(along with turkish arms and such)

Date Posted: 17-Jun-2005 at 00:28
Thank you for reposting them barracuda. I was to lazy to do it.

I think "Arnavut" was the term you guys used to denote Albanians? Thats what this Turkish kid in my class always called me...

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jun-2005 at 02:26
Yes we call albania - arnavutluk, albanian - arnavut its just the turkish word for it.. so I was suprised to see any greek similarities..

(you can look in any english - turkish dictionary )

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com