Print Page | Close Window

Mongol Armor?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: Military History
Forum Discription: Discussions related to military history: generals, battles, campaigns, etc.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3882
Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 14:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mongol Armor?
Posted By: Animal Weretiger
Subject: Mongol Armor?
Date Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 09:11
Hiya. I am very interested in the armor worn by the Mongols during the early 1200's and up. However I am having a hard time finding pictures of such. I was wondering if anyone had pictures they'd be willing to post or post links to. Thank you very much!

-------------
By the saber in my hand, by the bow at my hip, I attest these words are true.

Replies:
Posted By: TJK
Date Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 10:09

Look " Arms and Armour of the Nomads of the Great Steppe in the Times of the Mongol Expansion"
by Witold witosawski

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/838587402X/quickclick04-20/701-4882081-8378752 - http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/838587402X/quickclick0 4-20/701-4882081-8378752

or

Osprey's " The Mongols" by Stephen Turnbull

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0850453720/qid=1118325936/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/701-4882081-8378752 - http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0850453720/qid=1118325 936/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/701-4882081-8378752

Mongolian heavy cavalrymen

Posted By: poirot
Date Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 12:48

Here are two paintings of Mongol Cavalry:

Mongol Cavalryman

Mongol Cavalry in battle

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Date Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 12:54

Here are videocaps from the television series "Genghis Khan."  Before anyone would argue that the series is inaccurate (inaccuracies are unavoidable), I would like to point out that it was filmed in Inner Mongolia and most of the actors (including the actor who played Genghis Khan) were Mongols.  The producers and directors tried to portray 13th century Mongolia as accurately as possible given the available historical texts and sources.

It is of interest to note that the series "Genghis Khan" was released five years after production, after undergoing strenous scrutiny and revision because of the controversial ethnic and religious issues that arised after 9-11 and the War in Iraq.

Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan with his helmet

Genghis Khan's first wife Borte, mother of Jochi, Chagatai, Ogedei, and Toulei

Mongol war camp

Genghis Khan with his camp

Genghis Khan with his generals (the second general from the right is Subutai)

Genghis Khan on horseback

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 13:42
Wow. THose are excellent pictures! Thank you for taking the trouble to post them. I am aware of the Osprey books and I have both of the mongol titles.
I'm very impressed by this movie. Do you know if it's available in the states?

-------------

Posted By: tubo
Date Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 06:19
hehehe gengis looks like my dad.exact coopy for gods sake.lol....that is when he was 15 years younger.

Posted By: perdon
Date Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 00:50
mogols are like this? I think they look like chinese!!!

Date Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 01:43

Originally posted by perdon

These are real Mongols.  The actor for Genghis Khan is an ethnic Mongol.  So is the actress for Genghis Khan's first wife Borte.  These are not Chinese.  I repeat, they are real Mongols.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 21:34

I think they're beautiful.

-------------

Posted By: Snafu
Date Posted: 11-Jun-2005 at 22:50

According to the book "The Devil's horsemen: the Mongol invasion of Europe" the standard Mongol "uniform" consisted of several layers. The bottom layer was a pair of blue or gray trousers and a silk shirt (silk winds around an arrowhead as it penetrates, making it easier to pull the arrows out later). Next was a brown or blue felt robe. Colored trim on the cuffs, borders and collars of these robes indicated rank--officers got silver or gold trim, all others got red or blue trim. In winter, when these robes were lined with fur and the trim was hidden, different types of fur were used to indicate rank. Heavy cavalry riders wore over this a coat of mail and a cuirass of iron or hard leather scales. On their heads they wore cone-shaped iron helmets with thick leather neck-curtains that could be fastened in front to guard the throat. Light cavalry riders wore a cuirass of laquered leather strips or sometimes just a heavy padded robe. On their heads they wore either hard leather helmets or traditional fur-trimmed Mongol caps. Heavy and light cavalry riders were both required to carry a wicker shield covered in thick leather, two bows (long and short range), at least two quivers, a lasso, and a dagger strapped to the left forearm. Light cavalry riders carried short swords while heavy cavalry carried Mongol scimitars. Heavy cavalry riders also carried a battle axe or mace and a 12 foot hooked spear. Costumes differed slightly from tribe to tribe, so there were many different variations of armor. This is just the general style.

Here's a great site about the armor of steppe people.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/3505/ - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/3505/

Posted By: perdon
Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 00:11

Originally posted by Animal Weretiger

beautiful???ok!!!!

Posted By: kermit_criminal
Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 07:05

beautiful???ok!!!!

you must still be 16 years old 

uzbeks

Posted By: kermit_criminal
Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 07:12

the only thing about the tv series i dont like based on the pictures is that it looks like all of the actors are old, im sure most of the mongol army was younger then portrayed in those images, maybe in their 20's and early 30's. the men in those photos are late 30's and 40's, thus not as handsome as they could be haha

when and where is the tv series ghengis khan aired? in the US?

Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 08:56
Perdon I've read your posts on other threads and it seems you have problems. I didnt start this thread to have those problems here. Please refrain from hijacking this thread. It's supposed to be about Mongolian armor, not your personal dislikes.
Thank you.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 12:46
Originally posted by kermit_criminal

the only thing about the tv series i dont like based on the pictures is that it looks like all of the actors are old, im sure most of the mongol army was younger then portrayed in those images, maybe in their 20's and early 30's. the men in those photos are late 30's and 40's, thus not as handsome as they could be haha

Genghis Khan is not a young warrior.  His greatest accomplishments came after the age of 40.  According to Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World, most of the commanding Mongol generals during Genghis Khan's campaigns were approaching their forties.  Subutai, Muquali, Jebe, Borrchu, and Jelieme were all past their forties by the time Genghis Khan, at the age of 57, decided to campagin against Khawarism.  It is also worth mentioning that the famed Subutai joined the Mongol campaign against Europe in the 1230s and early 1240s when he was approaching the age of 70!!!!!

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: Drunt Ba'adur
Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 16:42
Originally posted by poirot

Genghis Khan is not a young warrior.  His greatest accomplishments came after the age of 40.  According to Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World, most of the commanding Mongol generals during Genghis Khan's campaigns were approaching their forties.  Subutai, Muquali, Jebe, Borrchu, and Jelieme were all past their forties by the time Genghis Khan, at the age of 57, decided to campagin against Khawarism.  It is also worth mentioning that the famed Subutai joined the Mongol campaign against Europe in the 1230s and early 1240s when he was approaching the age of 70!!!!!

aaaaa, sorry, you are talking about the generals and commanders, not about soldiers/warriors. In almost all wars the general were old men and the soldiers between 16 to 30s...
Are you are really beliving that Temujin fought in battles being 40 years old? It's impossible

I think, as someone before said, that some characters are a bit too old.

Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 17:08
Originally posted by Drunt Ba'adur

aaaaa, sorry, you are talking about the generals and commanders, not about soldiers/warriors. In almost all wars the general were old men and the soldiers between 16 to 30s...
Are you are really beliving that Temujin fought in battles being 40 years old? It's impossible

I think, as someone before said, that some characters are a bit too old.

Yes, I am talking about the generals and commanders.  Temujin did not fight in most of his later battles, only commanded them, that is true.  Nevertheless, in the age of iron weapons, situations in which generals must take personal combat in battles were unavoidable.  And to counter your view that most generals are old men, I point to Alexander the Great.  However, it is true that most Mongol generals under the command of Genghis Khan were veterans in their middle age.

As to your viewpoint of the characters being too old, the characters shown all play generals, commanders, and administrators, not soldiers.  And Genghis Khan does not stay young throughout his entire life.  Not many historical characters are as handsome and cleanshaven as Brad Pitt.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 17:54
No, I dont think a 70 year old man was out in front of the heavy cavalry leading the charge. I do believe that Ghengis Khan would be back watching the battle and giving commands. However, one didnt stop fighting just because you hit 30. I'm almost 40 and I'm still at it. Granted not as fast as I once was but still a factor.

-------------

Posted By: Drunt Ba'adur
Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 19:44

edited

Posted By: cliveersknell
Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 01:32
Hi Poirot,
Happy to know you watched the miniseries. Please give me your personal feedback on it.

brgds
Clive

Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 01:36
To animal weretiger,
Yes, the miniseries is available in the states.
10 dvds (all region) 30 chapters.
in google, type Genghis Khan TVseries.
More than 1 source is available. Get your chinese girlfriend
or wife to translate if you are a white dude like me.

r's
Clive

Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 06:01

cliveersknell:

Here is my feedback on the television series:

a. I would have enjoyed it more if the series were filmed in Mongolian with Chinese or English subtitles.  I prefer historical authenticity.

b. The series blantantly glorifies Genghis Khan and salutes him as an "unifier" of China.  It (at least the introduction) supports a popular notion that Genghis Khan was a Chinese hero.  I disagree.

c. The series does not dwell deeply on Genghis Khan's campaign west against Kwararsim Shah and the Kipchaks.  This is, however, because of extensive film editing.  There is a legitimate reason: the issues touched by Genghis Khan's western campaign is too controversial, given the events following 9-11 and the war in Afghanistan.

d. Besides the above mentioned complaints, I found the series to be one of the most historically accurate ever fillmed.  I am very very glad that it is not another John Wayne hopelessly impersonating a Mongolian warrior.  These actors are REAL MONGOLIANS!  They were willing to take a huge pay cut because of their genuine interest in their work.  The historical details, such as Genghis Khan's youth, his rivalry with Jamuga, his campaigns against various states, and the rivalry between Jochi and Chagatai, are relatively accurate, compared to many inaccurate and blantantly shameful television series and movies today.  In addition, Teng Ge Er's song at the end is a blast.

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 11:14
poirot do they show any battles? How are they compared to Hollywood??

-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao

Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 15:28
Yes, they do show battles. 

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 16:03

No, I dont think a 70 year old man was out in front of the heavy cavalry leading the charge.

believe it, Blcher was in his 70s when he fought at Waterlo.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jun-2005 at 17:03
I would be curious to know if a cavalry charge at waterloo is the same as a cavalry charge on the steppes.  Did Blucher contend hand to hand?

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jun-2005 at 01:43
Weretiger
If you saw the battles the cavalry charges were even better than Waterloo.

r's
Clive

Date Posted: 17-Jun-2005 at 11:32
No, Ihavent seen the series yet. I'm tracking it down. As for waterloo, I dont know tons about that period of history. That's why I asked in my last post rather than stated. I'm still learning about the steppes type of combat but I havent even begun studying the napoleonic stuff yet.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 13:14
here is some pics I found recently.

-------------

Posted By: jstampfl
Date Posted: 25-Jun-2005 at 20:23
Here are two photos from the Mongolian National History Museum.

http://jts88.com/images/mail.jpg

http://jts88.com/images/soldieroutfit.jpg

Posted By: Conan the destroyer
Date Posted: 28-Jun-2005 at 04:48

Some mongol armour from the invasion of Japan

http://chinese-armour.freewebspace.com/images/arm11a.jpg - http://chinese-armour.freewebspace.com/images/arm11a.jpg

Date Posted: 29-Jun-2005 at 15:25

These pictures are beautiful! Thank you all very much for taking the time to do this. I am in the midst of redoing my own lamellar and these pictures are very helpful in making it more authentic. Please post whatever you find!

Thank you!

Animal

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 19:38

You are welcome, here is some more

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: mord
Date Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 21:14

OH NEAT!  WOW!

Mord.

-------------
errr...left turn at vinland?

Date Posted: 30-Jun-2005 at 21:20

Now, that I'm over being ashtonished, I must admit that Vulkan02's posts of pictures (where did you get them?) solve some problem is Early Medieval Carolingian armor.  There's been an arguement over whether the body armor was mail or lammelar--now seeing how the lammelar looks and hangs gives more backing to the lammelar point of view.

Thanks very much.

Mord.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 12:05
thats from the Mongolian National museum .. simply click on the pic and copy image location

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 15:26

Originally posted by vulkan02

thats from the Mongolian National museum .. simply click on the pic and copy image location

Thanks.

Also, try: http://www.uakron.edu/china/ch-armor.html - www.uakron.edu/china/ch-armor.html

Mord

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 17:15
Those are amazing pictures. My new lamellar is going to turn out WAY better because of your help. All of you. Thank you!

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2005 at 23:28

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/ratangei/Me.jpg - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/ratangei/Me.jpg

This is my lamellar. Thanks to you who posted pictures, you helped a lot. I appreciate it.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2005 at 23:47
Nice! Is that you wearing the lamellar?  You look like a famous Celtic Chieftan!!!

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: tadamson
Date Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 21:57
Originally posted by jstampfl

Here are two photos from the Mongolian National History Museum.

http://jts88.com/images/mail.jpg

http://jts88.com/images/soldieroutfit.jpg

The leather armour is one of those donated by the film co isn't it ?
The holster quiver is wrong (only became comon under the Manchu's several hundred years after the Mongols)

-------------
rgds.

Tom..

Date Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 22:27

Nice! Is that you wearing the lamellar?  You look like a famous Celtic Chieftan!!!

Yah, that's me. My actual heritage is Celtic but for the hobby I do I like the Mongol stuff way better. It's a blast learning about that history and I appreciate all the help from you folks.

-------------

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 24-Sep-2005 at 09:20

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: babyblue
Date Posted: 25-Sep-2005 at 02:11

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/ratangei/Me.jpg - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/ratangei/Me.jpg

This is my lamellar. Thanks to you who posted pictures, you helped a lot. I appreciate it.

didn't mean to be an arse...but those sneakers?

Date Posted: 25-Sep-2005 at 22:40

You arent being an arse at all, those are in fact cleats. I have a foot drop which resulted from paralysis. They corrected most of my problems with surgery but they couldnt correct that. So I find when I fight outside on grass I need the cleats or else I have a world of problems. I tried my ass off to make the proper boots to cover them, but I couldnt figure out how to do the toes properly. So I did the best I could and that was to make the upper parts of the boots and put them on over top of the cleats. From a distance it looks ok. I'm not happy with the looks 100% but for now its a lot better than just the cleats alone. Since this isnt choreographed fighting there are performance issues I have to contend with as well as looking the best I can historically.

I'm in the middle with the red spear in this shot, you get a better idea of hte whole effect.

-------------

Posted By: chonos
Date Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 00:23

from mongolian movie "Chingis Khaan"

another pic

these are real mongols in a real mongol movie

"uukhaai..."

Posted By: sinosword
Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 06:40

how the f**k would chinese look like that! we look like this~

Posted By: SaikhaNBayar
Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 10:51

-------------
The 800th Anniversary of the Great Mongolian State. 2006

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 21:59
Originally posted by sinosword

how the f**k would chinese look like that! we look like this~

The armor from Han Wu Da Di is highly inaccurate.  Great series and songs, but not very accurate in terms of military uniform.  Clay figurines dating from the Former Han Dynasty show that Han infantry did not have plate armor, and Former Han soldiers rarely wore metal helms that covered the head entirely.   The helms shown are more indicative of the Northern Wei helms circa 500 A.D. 

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 23:26
Poirot
How about the Xiongnu uniforms, are they acccurate?
r's
Clive

Posted By: Turkic10
Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 12:20

The series can be ordered at the following link, It's the third one from the bottom. Even tho it's in Mandarin it's a great series. It covers his life from birth to his death.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/Search/SearchResult.aspx - http://us.yesasia.com/en/Search/SearchResult.aspx  

-------------
Admonish your friends privately, praise them publicly.

Posted By: Turkoglu
Date Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 15:45

-------------

Posted By: tubo
Date Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 02:57

these mongols look like shigatse tibetans...hehehe

chingiz looks like my dad.

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 07:39
Turkoglu,

Interesting drawing, is it from a book?

odd saddle, very late champhron and no bow, but nice active image.

-------------
rgds.

Tom..

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 13:55
yes, it's from Mongol Warrior 1200-1350 (Warrior 84) by Stephen Turnbull from Osprey

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 08:23
Originally posted by Temujin

yes, it's from Mongol Warrior 1200-1350 (Warrior 84) by Stephen Turnbull from Osprey

ok  a Wayne Reynolds drawing...

For those that are interested...

The helmets look a little to Persian.
The metal shield wouldn't be used by a fully armoured horseman, and metal shields were  very rare prior to the 15th C.
The file is a modern western one -  should be no tang, half round and much smaller.
The axe doesn't match any illustations or archeological examples I can think of.
The sword is a very odd shape.
There should be a large bowcase and bow at his left hip.
A box 'hourglass' quiver on his right.
The lassoo is way over scale.

-------------
rgds.

Tom..

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 15:14
I disagree with the shield, in fact shields were widely used by Mongols

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 20:43

Not by heavy cavalry though..

Illustrations of heavily armoured steppe cavalry with shields are virtualy non exsistant.  Ther are illustrations from the mid 14th C onwards of lighter cavalry (helmet, brigantine, unarmoured horse) using shields.

The shield combined with a long heavy sword (often called a saddle sword as it was hung from the saddle) was one of the melee weapons used by steppe cavalry (alternatives were a light lance used two handed, a two handed mace, or the heavy bow with heavy arrows).

Metal shields  are extreemly rare before the 15th C and were most popular in Persia.

Mongols used shields (they are in all illustrations of naval and siege warfare) and from 1204 onwards shields were stored and issued by the household (kessig/keshik) of each prince (well just Temuljins own in 1204)

-------------
rgds.

Tom..

Posted By: Mangudai
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 06:50

According to Carpini, shields were rare, and were mostly used on guard-duty

Reynolds' drawing resembles a timurid cavalryman rather than a 13th century mongol

-------------
Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 16:56

Turnbull of course isn't an authority on Mognols anyways, and the book is mediocre to say at least...

re: shields. well, Gorelik, who is the authority on Steppe archaeology (armoury & weapons) always depicts Mongols with shields, including heavy cavalry, but then, he always only shows warriors which have the hgihest possible status and the most armour & equippment possible,s till i think shields are fairly common for mongols and not uncommon for heavy cavalry, Timurs heavy cavalry and heavy cavalry of Mamelukes for example also used shields.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 20:34

Turnbull of course isn't an authority on Mognols anyways, and the book is mediocre to say at least...

re: shields. well, Gorelik, who is the authority on Steppe archaeology (armoury & weapons) always depicts Mongols with shields, including heavy cavalry, but then, he always only shows warriors which have the hgihest possible status and the most armour & equippment possible,s till i think shields are fairly common for mongols and not uncommon for heavy cavalry, Timurs heavy cavalry and heavy cavalry of Mamelukes for example also used shields.

Contemorary illustrations of Timurid troops show very few heavy cavalry with shields, and these are normally hung on the horses hindquarters.  I'm not impressed with Gorelik's books, he is seriously over generous in the equipment he depicts.  Also the primary sources are clear, the more armour a cavalryman wore, the less likely he was to use a shield.   Though, in truth, it's that the illustration is a very late period metal shield that I find most dissapointing.

-------------
rgds.

Tom..

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 21:31

Originally posted by tadamson

Also the primary sources are clear, the more armour a cavalryman wore, the less likely he was to use a shield.  

correct

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA

Posted By: shurite7
Date Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 16:57

As stated earlier shields were not widely used by Mongol heavy cavalry.  In eastern armies, shields were not widely used by cavalry.  As the Mongols traveled further west more of them adopted the use of a shield, still it wasn't the norm.

Ch

Posted By: HistoryGuy
Date Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 08:40
Mongols in those first pictures seem to be a little bit more hairier than the Chinese....

-------------
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 22:35

Here are two paintings of Mongol Cavalry:

Mongol Cavalryman

Mongol Cavalry in battle

The picture is a total nonsense. The Monghol warrior is shown carrying a Chinese sword called Liuyedao  furnished in a style of the 19-20th century. Anybody interested in ancient Monghol weapons, particularly armour, should get a book by Gorelik " Weapons of the Ancient East" Atlant Publishers, 2004 , Moscow-St. Petersburgh. It is in Russian, though...

Date Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 17:01
btw, can you tell me which Russian books on Steppe warriors did Gorelik illustrate?

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 14:27

This is actually a Tatar warrior's armor, but i think its similar enough because they were in the same horde though different tribe ...

http://imageshack.us">

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 18:06
Originally posted by CamokaGurth

This is actually a Tatar warrior's armor, but i think its similar enough because they were in the same horde though different tribe ...

Whare is the image from?
If it's 'Tartar' are we talking 17thC  ukraine ?

-------------
rgds.

Tom..

Posted By: Erdene
Date Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 13:26

Posted By: Erdene
Date Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 13:28

Posted By: raygun
Date Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 21:21
Does the mongols have a standardised armor design? From the pictures, I have an impression that each indiv had to fabricate his gear from whatever stuff he can obtain...

-------------

Posted By: BigL
Date Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 21:49
troops were punished by death if they didnt have the standard equipment.

Posted By: shurite7
Date Posted: 01-May-2006 at 19:22

Originally posted by BigL

troops were punished by death if they didnt have the standard equipment.

What do you mean by standard equipment?  Do you mean a person should have the standardized stuff such as a bow, quiver, lasso, horse, saddle, etc or do you mean the equipment had to be the same as all the others in their unit?  By 'same' I mean same style of armour, same clothing and so forth. 

Yes, you are correct, they were punished if their equipment was not kept in proper order and maintained properly.

-------------
Cheers

Chris

Date Posted: 08-May-2006 at 06:59

don't be fool idiot.

i think uzbek people look like eskimos.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-May-2006 at 20:22
Originally posted by tadamson

Originally posted by CamokaGurth

Whare is the image from?
If it's 'Tartar' are we talking 17thC  ukraine ?

*Tatar... the turkic peoples who were a part of the Golden Horde invading Eastern Europe (Russia, Ukraine etc.)

and yes they were a part of the Ottoman Empire in the 17th century, live in the areas of Tatarstan and Crimea(southern Ukraine). They were known as the Crimean Khanate after the breaking of the Horde.

(based on my research "Tartar" with the "r" was the work of European change that started from the "Tatary"(just used as the areas Tatars lived at) made related to "Tartarus" from Greek mythology )

*and PLEASE dont confuse Tatars with Mongols ... ive seen many mistakes like this in western(actually American  ) history books etc. Tatars were turkic while Mongols were mongoloid

-------------

Posted By: Snafu
Date Posted: 09-May-2006 at 07:45
Steppe nomads have always been influenced by Chinese society (and sometimes vice versa), so it's no surprise that Mongol armor is reminiscent of Chinese armor. Many components of their armor were probably purchased directly from Chinese merchants.

Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 17:24
camokagurth wroye
 *and PLEASE dont confuse Tatars with Mongols ... ive seen many mistakes like this in western(actually American  ) history books etc. Tatars were turkic while Mongols were mongoloid

D
ude Turks are mongoloid(mostly) so are chinese and japanese.
the term monogoloid is used to point out a genetic hmmm.. something that links several races to gether.

It's Mongoloid, Caucasoid, Negroid and few more.

-------------

Posted By: Seljuk
Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 18:41

Originally posted by ahiska

camokagurth wroye

D
the term monogoloid is used to point out a genetic hmmm.. something that links several races to gether.

Turks are mixed of Mongoloid and caucasoid since the beginning of their existance chinese sources points out that turks(xiong-nu,tujue and some others) has some caucasian features like strong hair growth. Of course percantage of caucasian-mongoloid mixture changed over time

-------------

Posted By: Tar Szernd
Date Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 08:23
Hi!

Where were this photos made?

TSZ

Originally posted by vulkan02

here is some pics I found recently.

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 19:57
Mongols are East Asian Turks and West Turks are Central Asian, but West Turks are mongoloid as well (the way they look is like intermediate Mongoloid and Europoid)..LOL

-------------

Posted By: Turk Nomad
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 02:31
Originally posted by ahiska

camokagurth wroye

D

Dude,Turks are Alpino-Turanid,not mongoloid.

There was tatar(xyen bei) tribe since ghengis kill them all,they were tungus-mongoloid.İn 1200s other Tatars(in ghengis's army,tribes invading eurupe and ukraine,tatarstan) are a mix of Kipchak Turks and some other Turkic tribesWink

Posted By: Turk Nomad
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 02:35
Originally posted by HistoryGuy

Mongols are East Asian Turks and West Turks are Central Asian, but West Turks are mongoloid as well (the way they look is like intermediate Mongoloid and Europoid)..LOL

Mongols aren'T Turkic,they are mezosefal(ı heard) but we are brakisefal.Antropology says no =(.But may be we are cousin.

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 15:56
Turk nomad, I have a reason to believe I may be Turkic, but I don't know what it would be measured as in a autosomal DNA test.. Would it be Central Asian, or East Asian?Confused I am Polish, and Ukrainian..

-------------

Posted By: Bodhi Baavgai
Date Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 11:56
Hello.  I recently got into the SCA.  I am trying to build a set of Mongolian armor for heavy fighting.  Where did you get the schematics for some of the armors pictured there?  If I may ask.
I have a bit before I auth in it, but I really need to make my own stuff.  Two reasons really, 1 so I can say I made it, and 2 I am 6'6" and don't fit in much of the stuff available to me.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com