Print Page | Close Window

Ottoman Turks and New World Expansion

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: History of the Americas
Forum Discription: The Americas: History from pre-Colombian times to the present
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3565
Printed Date: 06-Jun-2024 at 12:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ottoman Turks and New World Expansion
Posted By: Byzantine Emperor
Subject: Ottoman Turks and New World Expansion
Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 00:31
In studying European expansion and the exploration of the New World (North and South America), I have always wondered why the Ottoman Turks did not at least attempt a trans-Atlantic voyage or expansion beyond the Mediterranean Sea.

At the time of Columbus's voyages in the late 15th and early 16th centuries, I doubt the Ottomans could have outfitted and manned vessels that could have withstood a long term voyage to the New World. Secondly, at that time, the Ottomans had not conquered the Mediterranean waters as they had territory on land, such as the remnants of the Byzantine Empire, the Balkans, and Anatolia. However, during the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent, the Ottoman navy was expanded along with the land army. Suleiman and his immediate successors won great victories against the Hapsburgs and established the Ottoman Turks as a threat in Mediterranean waters -- they even conducted raids along the coast of Spain in the 1530s. Experienced and talented sea captains such as Barbarossa and Piri Reis were in Ottoman service; if anyone was capable of leading an expedition to the New World, it would have been these men.

1. Why do you think the Ottomans did not attempt to expand into the New World? All of the evidence seems to suggest that they were capable.

2. If they had made the voyage(s) and had established colonies in the New World, how would they have interacted with the native populations and the European colonists? Would there be war or peaceful trade?

3. How might Ottoman culture and Islam have changed (if at all) in the New World, being relatively cut off from its source in the Old World?

-------------
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=12713 - Late Byzantine Military
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=17337 - Ottoman perceptions of the Americas

Replies:
Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 00:54
1. They  had their hands full in the Old World, with plenty of opportunity for expansion there.

I'd suggest that in the future you don't post the same topic all over the place, just the one is enough.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: baracuda
Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 01:13
1. Well look at the map of piri-reis they certainly knew a lot, although the map is said to have been gathered from lost ancient maps...
   I think the most probable reason was that they were to much caught up with europe then, and didn't really have the time.

2. I doubt that they would have had any problems with the natives in similar sense that the colonists had.. trade will talk.. But I dont think that they would have been too much in peace with the european colinists.. ( as they werent with the natives)

3. The ottoman culture is not the extremes, its the golden middle, islam, christianity religion doesn't really matter as turks like the russians, kept their shamanistic beliefs even after they decided with Islam. So I dont really think it would have affected the religion in any aspect, the culture, well the ottomans would have integrated the native culture and given their culture to the natives in a more peacefull manner..
In a sense come to think of it, they wouldnt have changed anything there apart from the necesary, and would have kept the beliefs and languages that existed those times to the present day..

p.s. here is an interesting thesis/view interesting to read... it sort of puts a new meaning to your question..

The oldest ethnic roots of the peoples are found, as a rule, by the linguists by the linguistical attributes. The historians studying ethnogenesis of peoples usually use their conclusions, adding archeological and other data.

In the traditional historical and linguistical sciences is considered to be established that the split of the Uralo-Altai unity onto the Altai and Ural languages has taken place in the 10th millennium BC, i.e. 120 centuries ago, and the split of the Altai unity onto the Türko-Mongolian, Manchurian, Japanese-Korean languages happened in the 6th millennium BC, i.e. 80 centuries ago, the split of the Türko-Mongolian unity onto Türkic and Mongolian languages happened in the 4th millennium BC, i.e. 60 centuries ago.

The first serious battering of this viewpoint already occurred in the 17th century, in the 19th century the pounding increased, and in the 20th century was proved its scientists repugnance.

John Djosselin in 1638 noted that in the language of the American Indians are Türkic loans. In the 19th century Otto Rerig in the language of the North American Siu people lists a mass of the words close to the Türkic, for example, tang "dawn", tani or tangi "learn", ate "father", ina "mother", ta-te - affixes of the local case, ekta "on the side", etc. [Karimullin А., 1976, 136-141]. The works of similar character appear in Italy and France. In out days a Swedish scientist Stig Vikander published a number of works devoted to the crossties between the languages of the Maya and Altaians. From his works A.Karimullin gives the following examples: aak "wet" (aka > aga "flows"), baldiz "younger sister of the wife", bayal "rich" "plenty"," boya "paint", bur "to braid", -ik "to appear", tur "to stand", yom "connect" [Ibid., p. 140].

In the language of the Maya American Indians, the sounds y and yo (dj) frequently alternate, and this reminds the Türkic phonetics, the affix -l is actively applied for the verbs, the affix of negating looks as -ми/-ма, it reminds the Türkic morphology [Diego de Landa, 1955, 19, 77, 79]. As in the Türkic languages, in the Maya language the word yash is used in the sense "new", "young", and also in the composition the word jashyl, "green" [Diego de Landa, 1955, 19, 77, 79].

The Russian scientist Ü.V.Knorozov for a long time and persistently studied the culture and writing of Maya. As a result of his research he lists the Maya language words, not at all suspecting that many of them coincide with the Türkic words. Some of them are:

chak - "color", in the word chagyldyru "to reflect";

chak - "furnace, stove", in the word chakma "flint", "flint strike" it is connected with the fire (the Russian loan from the Türkic, ochag "furnace, stove" is a time link between Maya and Russian, is not it something? - Translator's Note);

yash k'in (yash kyn) "young sun", in Türkic kyn "sun"; the Türkic word koyash was formed also of these elements kön yash > koyash. In the ancient Türkic we find the word yashyk (yash kyn > yashyk) as "sun". In the Mayan language the word yash was also applied in the sense "fire", in a Türkic (Tatar) word yashen "lightning" also has the meaning "fire". The word kun "sun" in both languages also is connected with the semantics "fire", it shows also in the words yalkyn "flame" and yushkyn "boiling scale, deposit". All this tells that the semantic concurrence of words in the Mayan language and in the Türkic is not accidental, and but makes a complete system;

aak - "light";

ichin - "to bathe", ech+ing "to immerse, comprehend";

chen - "well", not artificial, but natural, chongol "hollow", "cliff";

ishil - a part of the Maya country, ish-il (ech il) "internal country"; with the ending -il/-el exist toponyms: Ishil, Tsental, Tsotsil, Chol, Chontal, Püholabal, Bak"halal, Kosumel, Kakichel, Chektemal, Konk"al, Itsmal, Vuk-yabnal [Diego de Landa, 1955, 12, 14, 15, 24, 25, 30].

Many words designating location of people in the Maya language end with itse "inside". It confirms the message of the source that in the Maya country attacked each other people who were inside of the stone fortifications and outside of the stone wall [Diego de Landa, 1955, 21].

It is possible to continue demonstrating the linguistical examples, but already given examples clearly show that in the Mayan language are rich Türkic loans, probably, substrates.

The Maya peoples, like the Türks, clearly distinguish between senior and younger relatives, and call them with different words [Diego de Landa, 1955, 48; Ilminskiy N.I., 1862, 22-23].

The Maya music, like that of the many Türkic peoples, is based on pentatonic.

The Ü.V.Knorozov's research makes it obvious that the Maya social system reminds the conditions in Sumer and Egypt: there and here the clan society is combined with the slaveholding society [Diego de Landa, 1955, 37].

Because the North American Maya people in many parameters remind the Türks, some scientists consider the Maya to be pra-Türks. In our opinion, to confidently assert this positively or negatively, it is necessary to carry out careful comparative-historical linguistical, archeological, anthropological, mythological, ethnographic, artistic study of these peoples. Only by the results of such studies would be possible to tell, who were in antiquity some American Indians: the proto-Türks or the non-Türks who experienced in Eurasia a strong influence of the Türks. Whoever they are, their complex affinity to the Türks tells that 20-30 thousand years ago the Türks spread in the Euro-Asian continent.

Challenging this conclusion, supporters of the traditional Eurocentric sciences deny the presence of the historical connections of the American Indians with the Euro-Asian tribes. But a close look at the subject brings to light that 20-30 thousand years ago the Bering passage did not exist, the American and Asian continents were connected by a land bridge over which animals and people moved freely [Kuzmishchev В., 1986, 342]. The anthropological types, characteristical for the American Indians, were found both in Asia, and in Europe. So, found in the Bashkortostan [Matyushin Г., 1969, 29-30] and Mongolia [Novgorodova E.A., 1977, 130] five-thousand-year old skulls and burial ceremonies tell that in these territories then lived the ancestors of the American Indians. The participants of the Soviet-American archeological expedition also tell about the migration the first people from Asia to the American continent in Beringia, Alaska and Aleutian islands. The head of this expedition from the Soviet side acad. A.Okladnikov noted, that Siberians were the first Americans [Okladnikov А., 1975, 33]. They also gradually trekked to South America [Kuzmishchev В., 1968, 343].

The Maya peoples represent a big group of the American Indians who settled in the Yucatan peninsula. Before our era, the Maya had a developed material and spiritual culture, their civilization should become an object of special studies. So far we only know for sure that it was destroyed by the Spanish conquerors of their land.

If the Türkic and American Indian parallels would be proved, it will be possible to tell that Türks formed before the migrations of the American Indians' ancestors to the American continent.

In case the migration the Euro-Asian ancestors of the American Indians to the American continent through the Bering passage (which did not exist)is confirmed, we should search for the most ancient Türkic-speaking area in the Eastern Siberia; if the scientists would prove their migration through the Western Europe, would arise a possibility of the existence of such a region in the Western Europe.

Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 01:15
I apologize for posting in several places.  I figured it applied to all three of the themes where I posted it and wanted to get the maximum exposure.

-------------
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=17337 - Ottoman perceptions of the Americas

Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 01:28
1. Well look at the map of piri-reis they certainly knew a lot, although the map is said to have been gathered from lost ancient maps...

Spanish and Portugese maps actualy, he even wrote that on his map. He composed that map from lots of other ones, some stolen from the Spanish/Portugese, others captured after naval battles and so on.
Legend has it that the map was originaly of the whole world, and that the Sultan, upon seeing the Portugese in Asia, ripped the map in half, gave it to Piri Reis, and told him to stop them, and only the Western half survivedm precisely because it was unused. I think there are a few other similar tales.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 05:35
Spanish and Portugese maps actualy

the map is actually dated 1513,

- the only voyages to North America by 1513 were voyages to Newfoundland beginning with John Cabot in 1498, and some Spanish sightings of the southeast coast of the U.S. It was only in 1513 that Balboa reached the Pacific and Ponce de Leon discovered people who can't punch ballots correctly in Miami Beach.
- Pizarro hadn't been to Peru, yet at that time, so how did Piri Reis know about the Andes? Did somebody hear tales of mountains far inland? Also, the detail on the South American coast seems a bit too rich for 1513.

On the map there is a note that explains that the map was synthesized from about 20 maps,
- many parts done from maps captured from Spanish and Portuguese ships in the Mediterranean, and supplemented by accounts given by captured Spanish and Portuguese sailors.
- there are also somethings on the map that couldnt have been from these spanish maps, which are the origin of the tales... like the map also inlcudes lost ancient maps, or its done from space... etc.. many fantasies..
who knows..

but neither the spanish nor the portuguese even knew of the americas back then.

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 06:39
the reason is obvious, they had to go through the whole mediteranian filled with ships of hostile nations, basically for once the Atlantic seaboard had advantages that italy and Anatolia did not.  Although I do think it would have been better for the Native Americans had the Ottomans colonized, but we will never know.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 07:38
It would have been impossible.
Spain would only have to close the Street of Gibraltar to capture the Ottoman colonies.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 18:29
the only voyages to North America by 1513 were voyages to Newfoundland beginning with John Cabot in 1498, and some Spanish sightings of the southeast coast of the U.S.

Not much of N. America is represented on the map, parts of the Carribbean, not much further than that.

Pizarro hadn't been to Peru, yet at that time, so how did Piri Reis know about the Andes?

The Andes begin in Colombia, though there is no need to assume that the mountains (which appear to be more in Brazil) are the Andes, there are mountains not so far from the Brazilian coast, and with large rivers, it doesn't take a geographical genious to figure out that those rivers begin in mountains somewhere

Also, the detail on the South American coast seems a bit too rich for 1513.

Not at all, both the Spanish and the Portugese had by them sailed along the better part of it, and with both sources to chose from, he could have compiled a fairly good picture. Though its not that accurate, the River Amazon is drawn twice by the looks of things, though his odd projection method distorts things so..

On the map there is a note that explains that the map was synthesized from about 20 maps,
- many parts done from maps captured from Spanish and Portuguese ships in the Mediterranean, and supplemented by accounts given by captured Spanish and Portuguese sailors.

And he clearly states what parts of the map he used what sources for, like any professional map maker would, and guess what, the Americas are full of references to the Portugese and the 'Genoese Infidel' etc. Indeed you'll notice that the Caribbean is poorly drawn, blame that one on Colombo, not a particulary brilliant map maker.
He even appears to have used a few unreliable sources, for example, the Island of Saint Brendon (mythical) is on there somewhere, even the tale of lighting the fire on a fish, which he then states wasn't mentioned on the Portugese maps, but he added it because he saw it on an ancient Mappae Mundi. Obviously ancient space aliens at work there, the very idea that a mythicl tale could have been taken too seriously is just too far fetched.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 21:25
Okay, apart from the far-fetched nature of Piri Reis' cartography, what other factors kept the Ottomans from making a trans-Atlantic voyage?  Yes they might have been busy with their old world empire; however, so were the Spanish and Portuguese with their expansion into North Africa and the East Indies!  I am not too terribly familiar with the extent of Spanish/Portuguese dominance of the Mediterranean Sea, but from what I have read, it seems like the Ottomans gave Charles V and Philip II an awful lot of trouble with their corsairs.  In fact, the impression is made that Ottoman ships during this time (mid 16th century) could have made it through the Straits of Gibralter without an attack.  There is an article I have not read that I know of; maybe it might have some answers t these questions.  Any other thoughts?

-------------

Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 22:21
I think some individuals of Ottoman origin did have a go, but usualy under the ageis of some Europeans. I'm thinking a few were priviteers in the emply of various European states.
They would be private individuals though, not representatives of the Ottoman Empire.
Now i have to rake my brains and try and renember where i heard this from.

The Ottomans wouldn't need to 'break out', they could arrange to sail from Morrocco, or take the long way round.
But, as an Empire, they clearly just weren't interested, otherwise they would have made a serious effort. Its not like it was difficult, hell even the principality of Courland had a go at it. The main problem was that it was a very risky venture, and not always profitable (profit was perhaps the only persistant motive for European colonialism).
Besides, why try and grab some far away lands you know very little about when you can set your sights on making the Mediterreanian an Ottoman lake.

however, so were the Spanish and Portuguese with their expansion into North Africa and the East Indies!

This was part of the same parcel that saw them expand into the Americas. Indeed, it was on the way back from (or to) India that the Portugese ended up off the coast of Brazil, and Africa represented stopping points on the way to India, for Spain it was the opposite, from the West Coast of the Americas, they sail to the Philipines and back again.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 26-May-2005 at 05:30
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Okay, apart from the far-fetched nature of Piri Reis' cartography, what other factors kept the Ottomans from making a trans-Atlantic voyage?  Yes they might have been busy with their old world empire; however, so were the Spanish and Portuguese with their expansion into North Africa and the East Indies!  I am not too terribly familiar with the extent of Spanish/Portuguese dominance of the Mediterranean Sea, but from what I have read, it seems like the Ottomans gave Charles V and Philip II an awful lot of trouble with their corsairs.  In fact, the impression is made that Ottoman ships during this time (mid 16th century) could have made it through the Straits of Gibralter without an attack.  There is an article I have not read that I know of; maybe it might have some answers t these questions.  Any other thoughts?

The Ottoman navy consisted mainly of galleys, xebecs, polacres, etc, ie ships suitable for the Mediterranean waters but crappy when it comes to cross-Ocean travelling. The Spanish and Portuguese galleons would have no problems making short work of such an Ottoman fleet on the high seas. There is a big difference between the occasional raiding and supporting a far-off colonial empire on the other side of the world.
However the main reason is probably that every shipment would have to go through the Gibraltar strait, and in case of inevitable war the Iberians could easily blockade all Ottoman colonies simply by closing the strait.

Posted By: Belisarius
Date Posted: 26-May-2005 at 14:40
The Ottomans never needed a western passage to the Orient, as they controlled the land routes and had ports in eastern Egypt and western Arabia. To go west would have been to wade through the hostile Meditteranean, facing the strong navies of Spain, Portugal, Venice, Genoa, etc.

Also (keep in mind, this may just be old propaganda), the Turks were well known for being mediocre sailors.

Date Posted: 26-May-2005 at 21:18

Originally posted by Belisarius

Also (keep in mind, this may just be old propaganda), the Turks were well known for being mediocre sailors.

Ever heard about the mine-ship "Nusrat/Nusret"?

-------------

Date Posted: 26-May-2005 at 21:22
But for the explorations era, many victories were gained you know.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-May-2005 at 22:06
Originally posted by YAFES

I actually have not. I would greatly appreciate if you would enlighten me though.

Date Posted: 26-May-2005 at 22:31

I actually have not. I would greatly appreciate if you would enlighten me though.

I believe he is trying to point to a much later date, Gallipoli.. where the turks sank quite a few warships, this little mineship at night put out mines before their noses, in the day 2-3 warships French,English.... were sunk or damaged fully, some loosing its crew completely.. it was an interesting war.. if you read the 'war flow' .. but the main victory was on land and for the german u-boat in the area... but then again even before that time turks do have very able sailors..

Date Posted: 27-May-2005 at 05:41

Belisarius;

here is Nusrat:

"From  the point of view of  the  continuation of the
battle and the future of  the  world,  the  mines laid

by  Nusrat  had  very  definitive results.."
Sir Winston Churchill

The ships  inevitably  played  a  large  role,  in  British  Prime  Lord  of the Admiralty, Sir
Winston Churchill. However, there are only two small ships which through sheer  tyranny
determined Churchill' s  fate and whole career. One of these ships was the Nusrat mine
layer and the other was the battleship Bismarck..
One of the most effective methods of ensuring the safety of the  straits  againist  enemy
fleets was by laying down sea mines. However, even mines could be destroyed  as the
mine sweepers would  gather  up  the  mines  and  destroy  them. At  this  time, Turkish
movable ground  guns  were  sinking  all  the  small  vessels  which  came  within  close

range,  but   as   the  British  had  set  their  minds  on  crossing  the  straits,  they  were
consistently sweeping the mines.
They  had  carried  out  a  sweeping  operation  prior  to  the 18 th March. However, the
night before, a small, brave mine  layer  named  Nusrat,  captained  by Lieutenant Hafız
Hakkı  Bey, had  entered  the  strait  and  had  laid  her  last 26  mines  fifteen  seconds
apart, parallel  to  the  shore. The  other  mines  were  lying  accross  the  strait. In order
to carry  out  this  highly  dangerous   operation,   Nusrat   had  almost literally  held  her
breath by  decreasing  the  steam  and  reducing the circuit  of  the  machinery.  On  the
eighteenth  of  March,  under  the  impression  that  they  had  swept  the  seas  clear of
mines, the proud Allied  Fleet entered the strait. They anchored in  front  of  the Turkish
fortresses and opened fire for hours.
The Turkish fortresses  retaliated  with  opening  fire  on  ships, at  the moments,  finally
Bouvet  hit a mine and sank  almost instantly. This incident  became the turning point of
the battle. After  Bouvet, the  new  battle cruiser  HMS  Inflexible  hit  another  mine  and
retreated from the battle, closely followed by the Irresistible. The armored  cruiser HMS
Ocean, who came to the aid of the Irresistible  also  hit  a  mine  and  sank  too. The job
which had been started by the Turkish Ground gun batteries  had  been  finished by the
small mine layer Nusrat..
De Robeck  gave  the  order  to retreat. This was  the most  sensible command ever to
have been given, because of the heavy ship losses..
Rumors  has  it  that  the  British  mine  sweeping  team who  gave the report  declaring
the  area  free  of   mines  were  immediately   handed  over  the   supreme   court   and
sentenced  to  execution.  Apparently  later on  it was realised that at the  time of writing
the report, the area was actually  clean,  and  the  British Government apologised to the
families of those who had been  executed. The real  truth  will never be known, however
we do know what Churchill wrote about the Nusrat and  her deadly mines:
" From  the  point  of  view  of  the  battle  and  the  future  of the world, the mines  which
Nusrat  so  secretly  laid, had  a  much  more  definite  conclusion than any other efforts
made.  This  obstacle which ceased the battle, created  many  psychological problems
amongst  the  British  who  had   most   succesfully  started  the  Çanakkale Operation.
Turkey owes its thanks entirely to these mines, which lenghtened  the war considerably.
It is because of  this,  that  the European  victors  were shaken  just as those who were
defeated. The bones of the 6 million people who lay buried on French, Polish, Galician,
Balkan, Syrian, Palestine and  Northern  Italian  battle  fields were  not  defeated by the
enemy fire at  all. They were destroyed  entirely by 26  iron balls  (the  mines of  Nusrat)
which lay anchored to wire ropes under the  surface of the strait of Canakkale.."
The 1952 - 1953   issue  of  Jane' s  Fighting  Ships,  the  well  known  and   prestigous
publication, gives information on  Nusrat mineship with the following  description: "
This
is  the  ship that laid the mines to strike Irresistible, Ocean and Bouvet in March 1915."

http://battlecruiseryavuz.hypermart.net/canakkale/nusrat.htm - http://battlecruiseryavuz.hypermart.net/canakkale/nusrat.htm

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2005 at 16:42

Originally posted by Cywr

But, as an Empire, they clearly just weren't interested, otherwise they would have made a serious effort. Its not like it was difficult, hell even the principality of Courland had a go at it. The main problem was that it was a very risky venture, and not always profitable (profit was perhaps the only persistant motive for European colonialism).
Besides, why try and grab some far away lands you know very little about when you can set your sights on making the Mediterreanian an Ottoman lake.

Yes, this does seem to be the main and obvious reason in the end.  I read something yesterday which said that overseas and New World expansion really did not fit the mindset and the Ottoman "world  view" at the time.  In essence, the Ottomans saw no need for their empire to extend beyond the Mediterranean and the Near East.  Also, their main focus was on the conquest of the Balkans, not on broader expansion.

-------------

Posted By: aakhonba
Date Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 02:21
I

Date Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 14:00

Originally posted by aakhonba

I think that the main reason that the ottomans did not sail to the new world is because their naval fleet in the 15th cent and they had difficulty recoving after it. just my opinion

Do you mean the Ottoman navy had difficulty recovering after the battle of Lepanto?

-------------

Posted By: Midas
Date Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 15:09
Ottomans just think that they don't need to sail to the New World; 'cause they had Silk Road and Spice Road... But in 15th century, Ottoman fleet was one of the best in Mediterrenian...

Date Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 15:16

Originally posted by midas

But in 15th century, Ottoman fleet was one of the best in Mediterrenian... 

This was a point in my initial post.  It just seems logical that, in order to open up more avenues of trade, and to extend the frontiers of Islam, the Ottoman Empire would have used its powerful navy to eventually sail to the New World.  I have read since, however, that the Ottomans were very Mediterranean-centered.  In other words, although they knew that the Americas existed, they pushed them to the back of their minds and focused on their Mediterranean and Balkan possessions.  I have also read that they did have good light vessels and raiding ships, but did not develop any large, open-sea going ships like those which the Italians and the Spanish had used to sail long distances.

-------------

Posted By: aakhonba
Date Posted: 19-Jun-2005 at 19:39

y

Posted By: Jagatai Khan
Date Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 10:30

It was 1571 in Lepanto

This was a point in my initial post.  It just seems logical that, in order to open up more avenues of trade, and to extend the frontiers of Islam, the Ottoman Empire would have used its powerful navy to eventually sail to the New World.  I have read since, however, that the Ottomans were very Mediterranean-centered.  In other words, although they knew that the Americas existed, they pushed them to the back of their minds and focused on their Mediterranean and Balkan possessions.  I have also read that they did have good light vessels and raiding ships, but did not develop any large, open-sea going ships like those which the Italians and the Spanish had used to sail long distances.

Yes Ottomans didn't have the enduring ocean discovery ships.By the way,what was the name discovery ships of Europeans?In Turkish we call they "karavel" but I don't know what it is spelled in English.

Btw Ottomans once reached Philippines in their Indian Ocean rushes

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 18:55

Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

Yes Ottomans didn't have the enduring ocean discovery ships.By the way,what was the name discovery ships of Europeans?In Turkish we call they "karavel" but I don't know what it is spelled in English.

I have seen the word you mentioned.  I think the word for the large open ocean vessels of the Europeans was something similar.  I can't remember the word offhand.

Were the Ottomans able to establish bases in the Philippines?  I know they definitely had footholds in the East Indies, as part of the spice trade.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Jul-2005 at 02:05
Caravel. Though i think some of Colmbus' ships were tachnicly Caracks (sp?), not sure about the distinction though.
Hmm, wait, Caracks were basicly beefed up Caravels, and Columbo was given relativly crapy ships by the Spaniards, so they would all have been Caravels AFAIK.

Nope, first hunce was right, the Santa Maria was indeed a Carrack, but the other two were Caravels. Go me.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 13-Jul-2005 at 15:32
Yep, carrack is the word I was thinking of, thanks Cywr...go you!

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 00:02

Were the Ottomans able to establish bases in the Philippines?  I know they definitely had footholds in the East Indies, as part of the spice trade.

As far as I know, there have been no Ottoman enclaves in the Philippines. However, there have been Arabs in the Philippines. Their presence was so great that by the time the Spaniards arrived, the entire northern island of Luzon was ruled by native Islamic kingdoms.

-------------

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 12:52

As far as I know, there have been no Ottoman enclaves in the Philippines. However, there have been Arabs in the Philippines. Their presence was so great that by the time the Spaniards arrived, the entire northern island of Luzon was ruled by native Islamic kingdoms.

I thought it was the southern island of Mindanao where the native Islamic kingdoms were established. Luzon is where the Spaniards established themselves because they couldn't penetrate the more strategic Mindanao. And most muslims travelling to the Philippines were not Arabs, but simply local converted indonesians and malays. Arabs were few and far in between.

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Date Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 16:09
Originally posted by Decebal

I thought it was the southern island of Mindanao where the native Islamic kingdoms were established. Luzon is where the Spaniards established themselves because they couldn't penetrate the more strategic Mindanao. And most muslims travelling to the Philippines were not Arabs, but simply local converted indonesians and malays. Arabs were few and far in between.

While regional peoples did contribute, Arabs were not as rare as you think. The island of Mindanao was where the native Muslim kingdoms survived the longest. When the Spaniards arrived, Manila in Luzon was a powerful Islamic kingdom. A large percentage of the population of the archipeligo was Muslim. Many Muslims, as many as 12 million, still reside in Mindanao. A movement that calls itself MILF (I know, it is hilarious), the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, is trying to establish an Islamic nation in the south.

-------------

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 19-Jul-2005 at 22:21

MILF??

Yes these are the ancestors of those stoned loonies with swords that Leonard Wood shot to peices arent they?

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 00:24

Lets bring this discussion back onto the topic.  Here is a new source that I came across the other day in some searches, if anyone is interested.  It is a doctoral dissertation; I am not sure if the writer has published anything else yet on the subject.  If you have access to it through the computing resources of a college or university, it can be found using the ProQuest search database.

Giancarlo Casale. The Ottoman Age of Exploration: Spices, Maps and Conquest in the Sixteenth Century Indian Ocean. PhD Dissertation. Harvard University, 2004.

-------------

Posted By: Jagatai Khan
Date Posted: 06-Aug-2005 at 04:02
I would like to buy it if I find it.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 21:56

Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

I would like to buy it if I find it.

Well, you can purchase a copy of any of the materials that you find on ProQuest, including dissertations.  With the dissertations, you can choose if you want an unbound, hardbound, or softcover copy.  If I remember right, the hardbound is $47.00 American currency.  Are you currently enrolled or know anyone who is enrolled in a college or university?  You can get into ProQuest, but you have to have a password or a subscription.  That is how I got to use the database, my university subscribes to it and I can get in through remote access.  Anyways, here is the website if you want to take a look:

http://www.proquest.com/proquest/ - http://www.proquest.com/proquest/

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 20:31

Earlier in this thread the discussion turned to the "world view" of the Ottomans during the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent and how it effected their participation in expansion and exploration.  I found this interesting web page that elaborates more on the the Ottoman Empire's relationship with Europe and overseas expansion.

http://www.humanities.ualberta.ca/ottoman/module3/lecture1.htm - http://www.humanities.ualberta.ca/ottoman/module3/lecture1.h tm

-------------

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 22:45

Earlier in this thread the discussion turned to the "world view" of the Ottomans during the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent and how it effected their participation in expansion and exploration.  I found this interesting web page that elaborates more on the the Ottoman Empire's relationship with Europe and overseas expansion.

http://www.humanities.ualberta.ca/ottoman/module3/lecture1.htm - http://www.humanities.ualberta.ca/ottoman/module3/lecture1.h tm

Nice article. Simply a quote:

According to Inalcik, "Francis I later informed the Venetian Ambassador that he considered the Ottoman Empire the only power capable of guaranteeing the existence of the European states against the Hapsburg, the emperor Charles who was accused of seeking to become 'ruler of the world'" -- which was of course Suleiman's goal! It suited the Ottomans to become Frances Ally in this way to prevent a united Europe.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Luther
Date Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 00:28

Originally posted by Cywr

1. They  had their hands full in the Old World, with plenty of opportunity for expansion there.

I agree with you there. At the time, the Ottomans were already expanding their empire into civilized territories. Why would they waste time and money on claiming a new uncivilized territory when there was more money to make and more power to gain in the old world? Perhaps the Spanish and others were forced, in a sense, to seek new lands over seas as a result of the ever expanding Ottomans controlling more and more trade routes. Maybe Europe's motivation to claim the new world was more a result of desperation than curiousity.

Date Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 21:41

Originally posted by Luther

At the time, the Ottomans were already expanding their empire into civilized territories. Why would they waste time and money on claiming a new uncivilized territory when there was more money to make and more power to gain in the old world?

Although the Ottomans were on the liberal side of Islam at this time, it is interesting that they did not incorporate the New World (and the Native Americans) into their concept of the dar-al-Islam, that they could eventually extend the frontiers to there and convert the natives.  Early on in their history, the Ottomans were newly-converted Ghazi warriors with the spread of Islam through conquest as their main priority.  Imagine what a terror Muslim Aztecs would be to not only the Spanish, but to the other native civilizations!

Why would they waste time and money on claiming a new uncivilized territory when there was more money to make and more power to gain in the old world?

Perhaps the Spanish and others were forced, in a sense, to seek new lands over seas as a result of the ever expanding Ottomans controlling more and more trade routes. Maybe Europe's motivation to claim the new world was more a result of desperation than curiousity

I ask the same question as to why they expanded into the Indian Ocean and eastern Africa.  They had a maritime advantage with both naval supremacy and strategic ports in the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf.  Furthermore, they saw the riches that could be won in finding a niche in the spice trade and charging customs for the use of their Arabian ports. 

Similarly the Ottomans had a naval advantage in the Mediterranean for a while too.  I don't think it would have been difficult for them to get through the straits into the Atlantic.  Their motivation?  New converts and the opportunity to mine precious metals that were becoming scarce in their old world empire.  They already experienced the havoc the Spanish caused to the old world economy when they dumped silver from the New World into it!  Why didn't the Ottomans want a piece of that pie?

-------------

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 14:10

Belisarius;

here is Nusrat/P]

"<FONT face=Arial size=3>From  the point of view of  the  continuation<FONT face=Arial size=3> of the<FONT face=Arial size=3>battle and the future of  the  world,  the  mines laid<FONT face=Arial size=3>by  Nusrat  had  very  definitive results.."Sir Winston Churchill<FONT face=Arial size=3>The ships  inevitably  played  a  large  role,  in  British  Prime  Lord  of the Admiralty, SirWinston Churchill. However, there are only two small ships which through sheer  tyrannydetermined Churchill' s  fate and whole career. One of these ships was the Nusrat minelayer and the other was the battleship Bismarck..One of the most effective methods of ensuring the safety of the  straits  againist  enemyfleets was by laying down sea mines. However, even mines could be destroyed  as themine sweepers would  gather  up  the  mines  and  destroy  them. At  this  time, Turkish<FONT face=Arial size=3>movable ground  guns  were  sinking  all  the  small  vessels  which  came  within  close<FONT face=Arial size=3>range,  but   as   the  British  had  set  their  minds  on  crossing  the  straits,  they  were<FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=3>consistently sweeping the mines.<FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=3>They  had  carried  out  a  sweeping  operation  prior  to  the 18 th March. However, thenight before, a small, brave mine  layer  named  Nusrat,  captained  by Lieutenant HafızHakkı  Bey, had  entered  the  strait  and  had  laid  her  last 26  mines  fifteen  secondsapart, parallel  to  the  shore. The  other  mines  were  lying  accross  the  strait. In orderto carry  out  this  highly  dangerous   operation,   Nusrat   had  almost literally  held  herbreath by  decreasing  the  steam  and  reducing the circuit  of  the  machinery.  On  theeighteenth  of  March,  under  the  impression  that  they  had  swept  the  seas  clear ofmines, the proud Allied  Fleet entered the strait. They anchored in  front  of  the Turkishfortresses and opened fire for hours.The Turkish fortresses  retaliated  with  opening  fire  on  ships, at  the moments,  finallyBouvet  hit a mine and sank  almost instantly. This incident  became the turning point ofthe battle. After  Bouvet, the  new  battle cruiser  HMS  Inflexible  hit  another  mine  andretreated from the battle, closely followed by the Irresistible. The armored  cruiser HMSOcean, who came to the aid of the Irresistible  also  hit  a  mine  and  sank  too. The jobwhich had been started by the Turkish Ground gun batteries  had  been  finished by thesmall mine layer Nusrat..De Robeck  gave  the  order  to retreat. This was  the most  sensible command ever tohave been given, because of the heavy ship losses..Rumors  has  it  that  the  British  mine  sweeping  team who  gave the report  declaringthe  area  free  of   mines  were  immediately   handed  over  the   supreme   court   andsentenced  to  execution.  Apparently  later on  it was realised that at the  time of writingthe report, the area was actually  clean,  and  the  British Government apologised to thefamilies of those who had been  executed. The real  truth  will never be known, howeverwe do know what Churchill wrote about the Nusrat and  her deadly mines:" From  the  point  of  view  of  the  battle  and  the  future  of the world, the mines  whichNusrat  so  secretly  laid, had  a  much  more  definite  conclusion than any other effortsmade.  This  obstacle which ceased the battle, created  many  psychological problemsamongst  the  British  who  had   most   succesfully  started  the  Çanakkale Operation.Turkey owes its thanks entirely to these mines, which lenghtened  the war considerably.It is because of  this,  that  the European  victors  were shaken  just as those who weredefeated. The bones of the 6 million people who lay buried on French, Polish, Galician,Balkan, Syrian, Palestine and  Northern  Italian  battle  fields were  not  defeated by theenemy fire at  all. They were destroyed  entirely by 26  iron balls  (the  mines of  Nusrat)which lay anchored to wire ropes under the  surface of the strait of Canakkale.."The 1952 - 1953   issue  of  Jane' s  Fighting  Ships,  the  well  known  and   prestigouspublication, gives information on  Nusrat mineship with the following  description: "<FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=3>Thisis  the  ship that laid the mines to strike Irresistible, Ocean and Bouvet in March 1915."<FONT face=Arial size=3> http://battlecruiseryavuz.hypermart.net/canakkale/nusrat.htm - http://battlecruiseryavuz.hypermart.net/canakkale/nusrat.htm

lol, no offense but from the first time i laid eyes on that picture i thought it was a fishing boat

Posted By: Beylerbeyi
Date Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 19:17

Although the Ottomans were on the liberal side of Islam at this time, it is interesting that they did not incorporate the New World (and the Native Americans) into their concept of the dar-al-Islam, that they could eventually extend the frontiers to there and convert the natives.

I don't understand the talk about liberal Islam. But Dar-al-Islam is the land ruled by a Muslim power. A land eyed for conquest is not Dar-Al-Islam. So what you wrote does not make much sense.

Early on in their history, the Ottomans were newly-converted Ghazi warriors with the spread of Islam through conquest as their main priority.

This was because of specific conditions. The Ottoman Beylik (princedom) was placed at the Byzantine border and it was expanding towards that territory. This was more advantageous, since expanding towards other Islamic states caused problems. It was hard to justify. I don't think this 'holy war' ideological drive was very strong. This period was over quite quickly anyway. Even before Mehmed II, Ottomans were fighting wars in the east against other Muslim powers. 

Imagine what a terror Muslim Aztecs would be to not only the Spanish, but to the other native civilizations!

Why in hell would the Aztecs convert to Islam, even if the Ottomans made it there? Besides I think Spanish were the real terror in America, they wiped everyone out.

Similarly the Ottomans had a naval advantage in the Mediterranean for a while too.  I don't think it would have been difficult for them to get through the straits into the Atlantic.

It was far more difficult than it was for the Spanish. 

Their motivation?  New converts and the opportunity to mine precious metals that were becoming scarce in their old world empire. They already experienced the havoc the Spanish caused to the old world economy when they dumped silver from the New World into it!  Why didn't the Ottomans want a piece of that pie?

Ottomans didn't like converts that much. They surely hadn't invaded places to convert the population. They had higher tax from non/muslims. Islam is not as missionary as Christianity. So it can't be a motivation.  

As to precious metals, when they know that the Spanish have these metals coming from their colonies, it means that the Spanish have bases over there. You can't cross the atlantic with mediterranean vessels and establish a base there when the Spanish are already there.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 22:25

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

I don't understand the talk about liberal Islam. But Dar-al-Islam is the land ruled by a Muslim power. A land eyed for conquest is not Dar-Al-Islam. So what you wrote does not make much sense.

Let me refine what I said in order that you may understand my point.  I meant that the Ottomans were more liberal in that they were tolerant of non-Muslims (ones within Ottoman domains who were paying taxes) more than the Arabs were.  That being said, in the hypothetical situation the Ottomans would be less likely to carry out the extermination of the Aztecs (since they would be considered pagans and not People of the Book).  The question is, would they require that the Aztecs be converted to Islam or would they extend tolerance to them in the same way as Jews and Chrsitians were more or less tolerated?

About my comment on the dar-al-Islam: the New World would not be considered part of the dar-al-Islam before its conquest.  What I meant is why did the Ottomans not view the New World as lands that needed to be brought into the dar-al-Islam through conquest, since its population was neither Muslim nor Peoples of the Book?

Why in hell would the Aztecs convert to Islam, even if the Ottomans made it there? Besides I think Spanish were the real terror in America, they wiped everyone out.

No need to get all worked up!  What I was saying is, if the Ottomans made it to the New World and encountered the natives.  Would they treat them in the same manner as the Spanish?  And, if the Aztecs were converted, it is interesting to speculate what kind of cultural and religious consequences would result from their conversion.

Ottomans didn't like converts that much. They surely hadn't invaded places to convert the population. They had higher tax from non/muslims. Islam is not as missionary as Christianity. So it can't be a motivation.

So, in our hypothetical situation, what do you think the Ottomans would do concerning the native Americans if in fact they did establish a colony and it survived?

-------------

Posted By: edgewaters
Date Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 23:43
The Spanish did not "exterminate" the Aztecs. The modern Mexicans are a mix of native and Spanish bloodlines.

The Spanish smashed the city of the Aztecs at Tenochtitlan, the largest city in the area but by no means the only city in the area. They viewed the natives as potential converts and set up New Spain in a feudal model, with the natives reduced to serfdom. They did, however, obliterate their culture, attempting to destroy all traces of the indigineous religions.

I don't imagine an Ottoman conquest would be terribly different. Perhaps they might not have been as zealous about destroying the written records of the Aztecs, which would have been nice. I have a feeling that the Ottomans would have been no less horrified at certain aspects of the Aztec religion, though, and I doubt their tolerance would be markedly different from that of the Spaniards.

But, practically speaking, its unlikely that the Ottomans could have maintained control in the area. Spain had enough trouble protecting its galleons on the shipping routes to the New World, and it was situated ideally to do so. Ottoman shipping routes would have been savaged by not just the British, but all the seagoing powers of Europe, and they would have to pass the Meditteranean and the Straits of Gibraltar to even get to where Spanish routes started.

Posted By: Beylerbeyi
Date Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 14:34

What I meant is why did the Ottomans not view the New World as lands that needed to be brought into the dar-al-Islam through conquest, since its population was neither Muslim nor Peoples of the Book?

Because there is no such 'need'. As I wrote above, Ottoman expansion was not driven by religious compulsion/ideological reason.

I don't imagine an Ottoman conquest would be terribly different. Perhaps they might not have been as zealous about destroying the written records of the Aztecs, which would have been nice. I have a feeling that the Ottomans would have been no less horrified at certain aspects of the Aztec religion, though, and I doubt their tolerance would be markedly different from that of the Spaniards.

But, practically speaking, its unlikely that the Ottomans could have maintained control in the area. Spain had enough trouble protecting its galleons on the shipping routes to the New World, and it was situated ideally to do so. Ottoman shipping routes would have been savaged by not just the British, but all the seagoing powers of Europe, and they would have to pass the Meditteranean and the Straits of Gibraltar to even get to where Spanish routes started.

I agree. I think the Ottomans would not have been as barbaric as the Spanish were (consider the inquisition, expulsion of Jews in 1492, the Ottomans took them in), but I don't think they would like the Aztecs that much. 

-------------

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 01-May-2006 at 20:45
Had the Ottomans relations with Mexico in begin 20th century, or during Sultan Mehmed Reshad's reign in 1910?

I found an article about but in Turkish about a Turkish producer went to Mexico (city) and discovered there an Ottoman Clock tower with Ottoman texts and such.

here is the article:
MEXICO CITY DE OSMANLI ÇEŞMESİ

Osmanlı, "Zapata'nın ülkesi"ni
bile unutmazdı

Mexico City kentinin en işlek caddelerinden birinde, gövdesi İznik çinileriyle kaplı zarif bir saat kulesi yükseliyor. Bu anıtın üzerinde yer alan plaket ise Türk toplumu olarak "özgüven duygusu" açısından nereden nereye geldiğimizin acıklı bir kanıtını oluşturuyor.
Onu ilk gördüğümde gözlerime inanamadım. Türkiye'den bu denli uzaklarda, şimdilerde ülkemizin haritadaki yerinin bile doğru düzgün bilinmediği bir diyarda, bize dair, bizden izler taşıyan bir anıt. Daha doğrusu bir "kent mobilyası". Üstelik de geçen onca zamana inatla direnircesine hâlâ ilk günkü gibi tıkır tıkır çalışıyor. Sözünü ettiğim obje, Meksika'nın başkenti Mexico City'de, kentin en işlek bölgelerinden Bolivar Caddesi'nde bulunan bir saat. Bundan birkaç yıl önce, bir belgesel film çekimi için gittiğim Meksika'da gördüm onu. Ve sınırlı zamanım içinde de heyecan içinde birkaç kare fotoğrafını çekmeyi başardım.

Bu ilginç anıtı bana elçilikten üst düzey bir yetkilinin değil, elçilik rezidansının Türk aşçısının göstermesi olayı daha da şaşırtıcı kılıyordu. Bizi kentte gezdiren Bolulu aşçı Hüseyin laf arasında -sanki çok sıradan birşeyden söz ediyormuş gibi- şu cümleleri mırıldandı: "Ağabey, biraz ilerde Osmanlılar'ın gönderdiği bir saat kulesi var. Eğer ilgini çekerse ona da bir bakarız!" İlgimi çekmek mi? Yalnızca saniyeler içinde "ilgi"den adeta patlama noktasına gelmiştim bile. Hüseyin'in sözünü ettiği kavşağa doğru ilerledik. İşte tam karşımızda duruyordu. Dedelerimizden asırlık bir yadigar, Osmanlı insanından Aztekler'in torunlarına sıcacık bir selam...

Saat sanki selam verdi

Vakit tam da saat başıydı. O sırada içindeki gong sistemi bize selam verircesine çalmaya başladı. Çevresinde defalarca dönüp durdum. Kadranındaki rakamlar Arapçaydı. Zamanı birebir doğru göstermesinden saat bölümünde herhangi bir arızanın olmadığı anlaşılıyordu. Ön yüzüne gömülmüş olan plakette ise şu cümleyi okudum: "La Colona Otomana a Mexico. Septembre de 1910." (Osmanlı Devleti'nden Meksika'ya. Eylül 1910)

Padişahın mazlumlara jesti

Yıl 1909. Osmanlı Devleti'nin en bunalımlı dönemi. Hem Balkanlar hem de Anadolu için için kaynıyor. Babıali, 31 Mart ayaklanmasının yol açtığı derin siyasal çalkantıları henüz üzerinden atamamış. 30 yıl süren II. Abdülhamid Han iktidarından sonra payitahtta biraderi Mehmet Reşad var. Yeni Sultan 27 Nisan günü göreve başlar başlamaz Doğu Anadolu ve Arnavutluk'ta birbiri peşisıra patlayan ayaklanmalar kendisine acı bir biçimde "hoşgeldin" diyor. Ülke ekonomisi de berbat durumda.

Ancak bu devletin adı "Osmanlı" ve Osmanlı olmak da öyle kolay bir iş değil. Şartlarınız ne kadar çetin ceviz olursa olsun, altı yüz küsur yıllık onurlu bir geleneği ne yapıp edip yaşatmak gerekiyor. Osmanlı devletinin yazılı olmayan anayasasının yine yazılı olmayan bir kuralına göre, dünyanın her yerindeki mazlumları, dinleri ve milliyetleri ne olursa olsun kardeş olarak kabul etmek ve onlara göz kulak olmakla yükümlüsünüz. Tıpkı Kanuni'nin François'ten gelen o çaresizlik dolu mektuba "Sakın korkma, geliyorum" cevabını verip, ardından da bütün Avrupa'yı ayağa kaldırması gibi...

İşte, Mehmed Reşad da tam o günlerde Meksika'ya karşı bu geleneksel sorumlulukla hareket ediyor. İstanbul'dan binlerce kilometre uzaktaki Aztekler'in yurdu, yakın zamanda çalkantılı bir devrime sahne olmuş ve ülke dökülen onca kanın ardından kısmen de olsa istikrarlı bir siyasal düzene geçmiştir. Emiliano Zapata ve Pancho Villa adlı iki halk kahramanının namlarının da yavaş yavaş yayıldığı bu dönemde, Sultan Reşad Meksika'ya bir selam göndermek gerektiğini düşünür. Ardından da saraya bağlı mühendis grubuna "Meksika halkı ile Osmanlı halkının dostluğunu simgeleyecek kalıcı bir armağan hazırlamaları" yönünde talimat verir. Mühendisler de bu emir üzerine, birkaç aylık bir çalışmanın ardından, çağdaş Osmanlı mimarisinin esintilerini taşıyan, Arapça kadranlı ve dış yüzeyi İznik çinileriyle kaplı bir kent saati imal ederler.

Saatin onu yapan uzmanlar tarafından monte edilmesi gerektiğinden, anıt denizaşırı bir gemiye yüklenir, yanına iki mühendis verilir. Ardından da gemi Sultan'ın Meksika'nın o dönemdeki Devlet Başkanı Porfirio Diaz'a selamlarını ve dostluk duygularını dile getirdiği diplomatik bir mektupla birlikte Meksika Körfezi'ne doğru yola çıkar.

Türkiye Cumhuriyeti'nin Mexico City'de bir büyükelçiliği var. Çok sayıda devlete ev sahipliği yapan bu kıtanın her başkentinde ayrı ayrı elçilikler açmak gücümüzü çok aştığından, bu elçilik Şili'ye kadar uzanan geniş bir havzada tüm bir Latin Amerika misyonumuzu temsil ediyor. Dolayısıyla Peru, Kolombiya, Haiti, Venezüela, Panama ve Honduras gibi bölge ülkelerine de hep bu merkez bakmakta.

Canımızı sıkan olay

Sağolsunlar, gittiğimizde yakın ilgi gösterip ellerinden gelen her türlü yardımı sergilediler. Ancak ne yalan söyleyeyim, saatin onarımı konusundaki ilgisizlikleri o zaman canımı biraz sıkmıştı doğrusu. Ayrılırken diplomatik görevilerimize ısrarla saatin durumunu hatırlatıp, onları Ankara'dan onarım için personel ve tahsisat istemeleri için kendi çapımda kışkırttım. Çünkü, insanlar gelip geçici, bu tür kültürel simgeler ise kalıcı. 20'nci yüzyılın başlarında Mexico City'ye getirilmiş olan bu anıt, o zamandan beri Türkiye'nin ve Türk insanının tanıtımını yapıyor.

Orada biraz yaygara yaptım ama, sonradan da dönüş yolunda başka bir şey takıldı aklıma. Türkiye Cumhuriyeti'nin günümüzde dünya sathına yayılmış olan elçiliklerinin önemli bir bölümünde antetli kağıt ya da zarf temini bile bazen sorun oluştururken, kendimizi bir an hâlâ imparatorluk günlerinde sanıp Mexico City'deki ekipten çok mu şey istemiştim acaba?

'Anıtı Türkler tamir etmeli'

Bolivar Caddesi'nin tam kavşak noktasında Meksikalılar'a 92 yıldır zamanı gösteren Osmanlı saatinin mekanizması tıkır tıkır işliyor. Ancak, aynı şeyi anıtı kaplayan İznik çinileri için söyleyebilmek mümkün değil. Çiniler, bir asıra yakın sürede oldukça zarar görmüş. Anıtın hemen ardında bulunan modern işhanına giriyorum. Burası bir sigorta şirketinin merkezi. Güvenlik bölümünde ayaküstü sohbet etme olanağı bulduğum birkaç Meksikalı yetkili, bu anıtın "gayrıresmi hamisi" olduklarını belirtiyorlar. Dediklerine göre çinili kısımlarda gözlenen tahribat iç savaş yıllarındaki sokak çatışmaları sırasında oluşmuş. "Bu anıt, Bolivar Caddesi'nin sembolüdür" diyor içlerinden biri, "İnsanlar burada buluşacakları zaman birbirlerine 'Türk saatinin yanında bekle' derler. Çini tamirinden hiç anlamıyoruz. Bu işi, Türk yetkililerinin gönderecekleri bir uzmanın yapmasını istiyoruz. Eğer saatin cephesi onarılırsa biz onu bir yüz yıl daha koruruz."

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 09:54

The simplified reason why the Turks never branched was *drum roll* they were losing power, and could not keep up with the European powers. Sure they were facing problems in the Mediterranean, yet everyone also had their problems.

Date Posted: 10-May-2006 at 21:39

Originally posted by machine

The simplified reason why the Turks never branched was *drum roll* they were losing power, and could not keep up with the European powers. Sure they were facing problems in the Mediterranean, yet everyone also had their problems.

Well, yes, to put it quite simply!  But what century are you talking about? 

The Ottomans really did not start lagging behind until the late 16th century, after Suleiman's and his immediate successors' reigns.  So during the era of European expansion (late 15th and into the 16th century), the Ottomans were still a competitive military power and controlled a good part of the Mediterranean with both their own navy and loyal corsairs.  It can be argued that the increasing domination of the Mediterranean by the Ottomans spurred the overseas expansion of Europeans.

Since I first posted the original thread, I have come to a couple conclusions based on some reading and study of this topic.  It seems that the Ottomans:

1. focused their foreign policy towards landward expansion in Eastern-Central Europe (as well as into Safavid Asia) after Suleiman the Magnificent, and away from domination of the seas.

2. The New World (Americas), both geographically and religiously, remained on the periphery of both the Sultans' minds and the consciousness of those who could fund an exploratory expedition.  Exploration of new lands occupied the attention of only enterprising corsairs / admirals who had geographic knowledge of the New World (like Piri Reis) and a minority of liberal-minded scholars.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 01:28

No the expansion of Europeans was GOLD, SPICES, TRADE, not Ottoman power in the Medditeranean. Europeans didnt all just dash of to the Americas all at once, it took time dude. When it was realised that "thar be gold in dem thar hills" then the expansion happened.

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 21:00

Originally posted by machine

No the expansion of Europeans was GOLD, SPICES, TRADE, not Ottoman power in the Medditeranean. Europeans didnt all just dash of to the Americas all at once, it took time dude. When it was realised that "thar be gold in dem thar hills" then the expansion happened.

Notice I said "it can be argued" that Ottoman militarization was a factor that spurred on European expansion.  That does not mean it was the only factor in their expansion, either!

Machine, what is your analysis of the two points that I provided on why the Ottomans did not expand westward into the New World? 

-------------

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 18:07

There is a common city legend here in Turkey that Christopher Colombus had approached to Ottoman Sultan Bayezid I before approaching to Queen Isabella for his overseas voyages,and it is said that Bayezid rejected to support him because he believed it was an adventure..But after all it is just a legendLOL

Now, if we come to the reasons and events happened about the issue...

-Ottomans actually wasn't neighboring vast oceans, so they weren't looking for such a search of new lands.

- European nations, especially naval nations such as Spain and Portugal were looking for new trade routes and income sources in the seas...By that time, Ottoman Empire was controlling the Silk Road and the Spice Road, and requesting high amount of tax from the merchants and caravans of various countries using the road, except the ones whom they had given some commercial privileges, like Venetians.Ottomans were already getting enough profit from being located just on main trade routes, and their aims for expansion was for Iraq and Azerbaijan at the East and Middle and Northern Balkans in the West.And they were already struggling for total domination in MediterraneanThose are the reasons why Ottomans weren't interested in New World

- And if we come to later attempts of Ottomans...In mid 16th century, Ottomans realized that the new trades routes had been found and used by the European naval powers, and Silk/Spice Roads were beginning to lose their former traffic and profitability.Then, they decided to open themselves to the New World...For that reason, a new naval base was established at Basra and hundreds of ships were built there, in order to open up to the Indian Ocean, move on to India, and compete with the Portuguese out there...But the problem with the Ottoman ships were, they weren't fit to the vast oceans..They were fit for calm seas like Mediterranean, but they were too feeble for the ocean, and to compete with the huge Portuguese galleons.A few campaigns,named "Indian Naval Campaigns" were made under the command of famous Ottoman admiral Piri Reis, but had been really unsuccessful with huge Ottoman losses...Later Piri Reis was hanged due to that failure...So the attempt had been thwarted in this way.

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 16:11
Originally posted by Kapikulu

There is a common city legend here in Turkey that Christopher Colombus had approached to Ottoman Sultan Bayezid I before approaching to Queen Isabella for his overseas voyages,and it is said that Bayezid rejected to support him because he believed it was an adventure..But after all it is just a legend

Wow, that is pretty cool!  What did Bayezid mean by calling Columbus' proposal an "adventure?"  It would seem to me that any overseas voyage at this time would be quite an adventure indeed.  Maybe he meant that Columbus was nothing more than a swashbuckler or pirate and would "take the money and run." LOL

Ottomans actually wasn't neighboring vast oceans, so they weren't looking for such a search of new lands.

Columbus was not near any of the oceans at first.  He based his operations out of Genoa and the Aegean before he sought a commission in Spain.  The bottom line seems to be as you pointed out in the next half of the sentence:  the Ottomans were not searching for lands overseas.

By that time, Ottoman Empire was controlling the Silk Road and the Spice Road, and requesting high amount of tax from the merchants and caravans of various countries using the road, except the ones whom they had given some commercial privileges, like Venetians.

So I guess the profits were going to fund the Ottoman bureaucracy and the land campaigns in the Balkans and in Western Europe (Austria)?

And they were already struggling for total domination in MediterraneanThose are the reasons why Ottomans weren't interested in New World

From what I have read, I get the impression that the Ottomans dominated the Mediterranean for a certain time during the reign of Suleiman I, subsequently during the time when the Spanish were starting their conquest of Central and South America.  It would have been a good time to initiate voyages of colonization, a time that would never again be available to the Ottomans.

For that reason, a new naval base was established at Basra and hundreds of ships were built there, in order to open up to the Indian Ocean, move on to India, and compete with the Portuguese out there...But the problem with the Ottoman ships were, they weren't fit to the vast oceans..They were fit for calm seas like Mediterranean, but they were too feeble for the ocean, and to compete with the huge Portuguese galleons.A few campaigns,named "Indian Naval Campaigns" were made under the command of famous Ottoman admiral Piri Reis, but had been really unsuccessful with huge Ottoman losses...Later Piri Reis was hanged due to that failure...So the attempt had been thwarted in this way.

The expansion of the Ottomans into the Indian Ocean is an interesting and hardly-discussed episode in the era of Discovery and Expansion.  I opened a topic on this a while back; here is the link if you are interested.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9120 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9120

Kapikulu, what is your opinion on the Ottomans' conception of the Americas and voyages of expansion, in terms of Islam and traditonalism? 

The spirit of jihad was not as strong with the later Ottomans, at least not to the point that it effected their foreign policy from every angle.  The 16th century Ottomans were not the original Ghazi warriors that had terrorized the borders of the Byzantine Empire two and three centuries before.  Why did they not look at the Americas as a vast land that could be brought into the dar-al-Islam?  Certainly they knew that those lands contained one of the largest groups of pagans left in the world at the time, an excellent reservoir for converts.

It seems to me that they were interested in pursuing Jihad and Muslim expansion into Western Europe at the time, primarily against the Hapsburgs (not as much against France or England).  After Suleiman, Ottoman foreign policy shifted mainly towards achieving these objectives.  The venture into the Indian Ocean was dropped.  In the end, any concept of the New World, its exotic natives, and its wealth in resources remained on the periphery of the Turks' mindset.  It was only discussed in some intellectual circles and by some of the navigators, like Piri Reis.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 20:57

Wow, that is pretty cool!  What did Bayezid mean by calling Columbus' proposal an "adventure?"  It would seem to me that any overseas voyage at this time would be quite an adventure indeed.  Maybe he meant that Columbus was nothing more than a swashbuckler or pirate and would "take the money and run." LOL

Well, that was actually what I meant either LOL

Columbus was not near any of the oceans at first.  He based his operations out of Genoa and the Aegean before he sought a commission in Spain.  The bottom line seems to be as you pointed out in the next half of the sentence:  the Ottomans were not searching for lands overseas

They were not searching, plus, not being an empire with adventurous far away naval ambitions and already aiming control of Balkans,Meditarranean and Middle East, it is not abnormal that the sultans had kind of a vision of a new world full of artifacts somewhere else

.So I guess the profits were going to fund the Ottoman bureaucracy and the land campaigns in the Balkans and in Western Europe (Austria)?

Well, there wasn't much "Ottoman bureucracy" ever in the Ottoman Empire after Fatih Sultan Mehmet(Mehmet I the Conqueror), because that Turkmen bureucracy was eliminated during his era with the initation of devshirme system(See Q&A section, Devshirme topic for more detailsWink)...

Basically that money coming from many conquests and trade routes were going to Empire's treasury.Empire had been really really rich, especially after Selim I's conquest of Syria,Palestine,Egypt and Hejaz from Mamelukes and treasury was really filled...

But, this had ended during Suleiman I's era...Even though he was called "The Magnificent", I think he is one of the mediocre sultans in Ottoman history.He emptied all that treasury, with endless wars against Iran and Habsburgs, and unnecessary expensive sieges laid on to conquer single castles like Szigetvar.Notably, while Ottoman conquests had consisted of huge lands, whole regions and kingdoms between 1450-1520 while after Suleiman I's era, extent of those conquests had been fallen to single fortresses especially in the Balkans, with a few exceptions.While military expenditures were terribly increasing, the income coming out of wars were being really low.

From what I have read, I get the impression that the Ottomans dominated the Mediterranean for a certain time during the reign of Suleiman I, subsequently during the time when the Spanish were starting their conquest of Central and South America.  It would have been a good time to initiate voyages of colonization, a time that would never again be available to the Ottomans.

Especially in the beginning of Suleiman I's era, with Algeria and Libya merged into the empire in addition to Egypt,which was already conquered in 1517, Ottoman Empire had really dominated the Mediterranean Sea.Together with North Africa, many islands in Aegean Sea were conquered, like Rhodes(1521), Corfu/Zanta/Cephalonia(During Bayezid I's era around 1515) contributed to that domination. Only Aegean island left unconquered was Crete, which will not be conquered till 1669.Also, gifted naval commanders like Barbaros Hayreddin had served the Sultan, and that domination was proved in Battle of Preveze in 1538, in which Ottoman navy under Barbaros defeated the joint Italian-Habsburg navy under the command of Andrea Doria.Even more, Ottoman navy went to aid French navy in Savoy, and attacked Italian ports together with French navy.That domination had lasted till Battle of Lepanto.After Lepanto, with a quick reconstruction, Ottoman navy found its strength again, but defeats like Siege of Malta(1565), limited the level of Ottoman domination in Mediterranean.But the domination, not of Western Med, but Eastern Med, still lasted till Ottomans found themselves against the Holy Alliance of Habsburgs,Venice,Russia and Poland and that naval power faded away finally after 1700. 

But as both of us stated, when they realized something was going on Smile,Ottomans tried for voyages of colonization in the Indian Ocean, but they were basically unable...

For initiating those voyages in other direction, namely to America, Ottomans were too far away to initiate such voyages, weren't they?Wink...
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9120 -

Kapikulu, what is your opinion on the Ottomans' conception of the Americas and voyages of expansion, in terms of Islam and traditonalism? 

I will reply that asap when I have timeSmile

-------------
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 22:36

Well, there wasn't much "Ottoman bureucracy" ever in the Ottoman Empire after Fatih Sultan Mehmet(Mehmet I the Conqueror), because that Turkmen bureucracy was eliminated during his era with the initation of devshirme system(See Q&A section, Devshirme topic for more details

Wow, I was under the impression that they Ottomans had thoroughly efficient bureaucracy and civil administration.  From what I understand they kept meticulous records all the way up to the end in 1922, and most have survived.  But aren't the Turks rather protective of their historical archives in Istanbul?  I have heard it is very difficult to get in and that they selective about it.

I will reply that asap when I have time

Please do.  I would be interested to know exactly which intellectual circles in the Empire discussed the European discovery of the New World and what implications they thought it had for the Ottomans.

One thing I have found is the dissertation and book of one of the few scholars who has looked at this fascinating subject.  He translated with commentary an Ottoman adaptation of some European New World accounts.

Thomas D. Goodrich, The Ottoman Turks and the New World: A Study of the Tarih-i Hind-i Garbi and Sixteenth Century Ottoman Americana. Wiesbaden: O. Harrassowitz, 1990.

-------------

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 15-Jun-2006 at 17:06

Yes, that clock is still there near Mexico City downtown and its gorgeous.
Regards

Date Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 14:09
Originally posted by ByzantineEmperor

Wow, I was under the impression that they Ottomans had thoroughly efficient bureaucracy and civil administration.  From what I understand they kept meticulous records all the way up to the end in 1922, and most have survived.  But aren't the Turks rather protective of their historical archives in Istanbul?  I have heard it is very difficult to get in and that they selective about it.

Oh, oh, oh wait a minute...I probably got you wrong in this one...I thought you meant "aristocratic class" by saying bureaucracy, I took the world wrongly, probably because of the relevance between bureaucrats and aristocratic classWink...Take the answer I gave in that way...

You are right about the bureaucracy, but maybe "local administration" or "clerkship or recording" is the better word for that...Ottoman local officials and clerks kept records of everything effectively,from title deed records to official communiques.. So what you say is true, Ottomans had efficient bureaucracy and civil administration, in their "kaza"s(town) and "eyalet"s(state)...They set up a good system with different clerks attached to different posts with different missions(Kadı,Subaşı etc.), but unfortunately as the time went on and empire fell into decline, the system had started to rotten a little bit with corruption and string pulling,though..

Historical archives are really hard to access...As far as I know, only academic faculty is accepted to use it.

-------------
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 12:29

...Although the Ottomans were on the liberal side of Islam at this time, it is interesting that they did not incorporate the New World (and the Native Americans) into their concept of the dar-al-Islam, that they could eventually extend the frontiers to there and convert the natives.  Early on in their history, the Ottomans were newly-converted Ghazi warriors with the spread of Islam through conquest as their main priority.  Imagine what a terror Muslim Aztecs would be to not only the Spanish, but to the other native civilizations! ...

There is a problem with this concept, I believe, because it forget the simple fact the Iberians have already captured the Americas for themselves.

The first starters where the Portugueses, that although it was a small nation, it was very strong overseas. And they managed to get strongholds in several places going in Africa, and to the east in India, China and Indonesia. When the Spaniards started their colonization to the West they signed the famous treaty with the Portugueses to avoid fighting, so the Portugueses got a foot in Brazil and the Spaniards could capture the Phillipines.

There after, the only nations that enter the colonization game were Britain, France and Dutchland. Of them, Britain captured some very small territories in the Caribbean, Central and South America, and most of its colonies were established in the east coast of today U.S. and Canada.; a region that was not colonized by the Spaniards. France got Quebec, Louisiana and Haiti, and Dutchland a couple of small island and Suriname.

Except for the Caribbean, the North American territories were territories that the Spaniards could not deffend because they were far away from its pwn centers of power. In the Caribbean, all the territories that the Spaniards lost to the Brits, French and Dutchs took a lot of fighting. It was not easy to capture the territories of those who were already there.  And in geographical terms the territories the Spaniards lost to the others were minimum.

Not Germany, Italy or Russian attempted to colonize the Americas because that would mean fighting with the Spaniards, Portugueses, British, French or Dutch that were already there, and Russians only got Alaska because was a place abandoned and close to Siberia.

In short, if the Turks would attempted to colonize the Americas they would have had a lot of resistence from the colones that were already there, and the Ottoman Empire was not strong enough to combat in two front at once.

Pinguin

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 22:20
Originally posted by pinguin

Not Germany, Italy or Russian attempted to colonize the Americas because that would mean fighting with the Spaniards, Portugueses, British, French or Dutch that were already there, and Russians only got Alaska because was a place abandoned and close to Siberia.

In short, if the Turks would attempted to colonize the Americas they would have had a lot of resistence from the colones that were already there, and the Ottoman Empire was not strong enough to combat in two front at once.

Thanks for the detailed reply pinguin!  While I am in no position to argue effectively about early modern expansion (it is a hobby more than a specialty for me), I can pose some more questions.

From what I have read, it seems that the Ottomans were in a position to make a stab at the New World, if they had wanted to.  It was not the Europeans who were menacing the Ottomans in the early- to mid-sixteenth century, but the other way around.  Charles V, although he presided over an Atlantic empire, had his resources and attention tied up with France and with the Protestants.  It was really the East that was giving any kind of trouble to the Ottomans at the time.  They did not have much worry from the Europeans in the way of an offensive.

As far as territory and who settled it in the New World goes, did the Spaniards and French not have a tenuous hold at best on their colonies in the southern part of North America, i.e. modern Florida, Louisiana, and Texas, in the sixteenth century?  There would be the place to strike, if any.

That being said, I think Kapikulu gave an excellent analysis of the situation in his reply from above.  Does anyone have comments on what he said?  Here is the original quote:

Well, there wasn't much "Ottoman bureucracy" ever in the Ottoman Empire after Fatih Sultan Mehmet(Mehmet I the Conqueror), because that Turkmen bureucracy was eliminated during his era with the initation of devshirme system(...)

Basically that money coming from many conquests and trade routes were going to Empire's treasury.Empire had been really really rich, especially after Selim I's conquest of Syria,Palestine,Egypt and Hejaz from Mamelukes and treasury was really filled...

But, this had ended during Suleiman I's era...Even though he was called "The Magnificent", I think he is one of the mediocre sultans in Ottoman history.He emptied all that treasury, with endless wars against Iran and Habsburgs, and unnecessary expensive sieges laid on to conquer single castles like Szigetvar.Notably, while Ottoman conquests had consisted of huge lands, whole regions and kingdoms between 1450-1520 while after Suleiman I's era, extent of those conquests had been fallen to single fortresses especially in the Balkans, with a few exceptions.While military expenditures were terribly increasing, the income coming out of wars were being really low.

Especially in the beginning of Suleiman I's era, with Algeria and Libya merged into the empire in addition to Egypt,which was already conquered in 1517, Ottoman Empire had really dominated the Mediterranean Sea.Together with North Africa, many islands in Aegean Sea were conquered, like Rhodes(1521), Corfu/Zanta/Cephalonia(During Bayezid I's era around 1515) contributed to that domination. Only Aegean island left unconquered was Crete, which will not be conquered till 1669.Also, gifted naval commanders like Barbaros Hayreddin had served the Sultan, and that domination was proved in Battle of Preveze in 1538, in which Ottoman navy under Barbaros defeated the joint Italian-Habsburg navy under the command of Andrea Doria.Even more, Ottoman navy went to aid French navy in Savoy, and attacked Italian ports together with French navy.That domination had lasted till Battle of Lepanto.After Lepanto, with a quick reconstruction, Ottoman navy found its strength again, but defeats like Siege of Malta(1565), limited the level of Ottoman domination in Mediterranean.But the domination, not of Western Med, but Eastern Med, still lasted till Ottomans found themselves against the Holy Alliance of Habsburgs,Venice,Russia and Poland and that naval power faded away finally after 1700.

-------------

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 07:34

From what I have read, it seems that the Ottomans were in a position to make a stab at the New World, if they had wanted to.  It was not the Europeans who were menacing the Ottomans in the early- to mid-sixteenth century, but the other way around.  Charles V, although he presided over an Atlantic empire, had his resources and attention tied up with France and with the Protestants.  It was really the East that was giving any kind of trouble to the Ottomans at the time.  They did not have much worry from the Europeans in the way of an offensive.

As far as territory and who settled it in the New World goes, did the Spaniards and French not have a tenuous hold at best on their colonies in the southern part of North America, i.e. modern Florida, Louisiana, and Texas, in the sixteenth century?  There would be the place to strike, if any.

Wasn't possible. Althought as say Kapikulu the ottomans get the hegemony in all the Mediterranean in the 30's of the XVI century, you should uderstand that people like the spanish only have in that front a half of their naval sources. For example, in the early years of the XVI century the castillians sent a fleet to Low Countries of near 70 naos (carracks) plus other ships, only because they wanted transport to the new Queen to Spain!! But they didn't use these resources in the Mediterranean. Look what happen to the ottomans in the Indic with all theyr efforts against the small portuguese contingents of oceanic ships and you will know what will happen if the turks go over Gibraltar Smile
And if they stablish, in secret, a colony in the New World, was only a question of time that the spanish or the portuguese take news of this, the following is well known because any french or english colony could be stablished in América in the XVI century: the iberian will search and destroy with fury any settlement, killing to all the people if they could, like they did with the french colonies between the Patagon and Maryland.

So there isn't any possibility of an ottoman colony in the New World.

-------------

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 10:32

Originally posted by pinguin

This is not accurate. Before the 19th century (and even then, the 1870's), Italy or Germany did not even exist as unified nations: they were both composed of a mosaic of city-states and were often at the whim of larger powers such as France, Spain and Austria. As for Russia it was basically landlocked, as it had no warm-water ports (no ports that would be accessible year-round). For instance, the first warm-water port that Russia had was Azov, conquered in 1684 I think, and even then Russian ships would have had to go through Ottoman-controlled Bosphorus just to get to the Mediterranean. As for the maritime city-states of Italy and Germany, they could not build a fleet large enough to compete with the likes of Engladn or Holland. The maritime cities of Italy were also impoverished due to the shift of trade routes away from the Mediterranean in favor of the Indian Ocean, which occurred after Vasco da Gamma's voyages.

The Americas were very large, and Spanish control over most of it was rather feeble in the 16th century. What they did control though, were the areas most likely to produce quick revenue (Mexico and Peru for precious metals and the Carribean for sugar). In Mexico and Peru, the Spansih were too well entrenched and none of the other maritime European powers haqd the stomach of prolonged military campaigns on land to capture them. The Carribean however was fair game, so we can see the English, French and Dutch getting in on the action in the 16th and 17th centuries. The reason why the English started to colonize North America in the 17th century had little to do with the resources of the land, and a lot to do with the religious persecution occuring during the Counter-Reformation at this time.

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Posted By: Majkes
Date Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 14:38
In my opinions the reason why Ottomans didn't try to discover new worlds and explore new lands was because they have a place to develop near their borders. They prefered to expand in Europe. Ottomans knew Europe. They new it is quite reach. Why to search new unknown lands if You can many ways to expand in Your neighbourhood. They prefered to expand towards Italy and Austria.
Second they had many opponents in all borders of their empire so they possibly didn't want to involve such things like expansive travells.
Third as someone here noticed before they would have a small chance to protect their gains. They would have to travel through Atlantic and before fight Spanish fleet, Italian city fleet, English and maybe Dutch. So expanding through Medditerrain Sea wouldn't be easy for them. They maybe had better chance through Indian Ocean.
Generally I think Ottomans were mainly land power. They had a graet fleet because it was neccessary to protect their land gains and helped land invasions but it wasn't their main goal to develop their fleet. 

I agree Ottomans would be more hessitant than Spanish to convert Aztecs but I think they would try. If they would see Aztecs's beliefs they would want to do something with that.

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 02:58
Ottomans can use their african lands for expanding America,  but their center was istanbul. So They prefered to interest lands more near to istanbul.

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 17:26
Dear All, this reminds me a long tiome topic opened on thsi regards about what if chineses discovered America. I said then and I´m saying now.

Spaniards approached to the new world after first Columbus trips. Colonies were set up on Cuba. Expeditions departured from Cuba to the shores of Yucatan, Veracruz and Tabasco.

Now, some spaniards were either captured or their boats shipwrecked. This very few survivor were rescued/captured by the natives living on the the area.

Cortez got the most valuable asset on his conquest, when the Malinche was offered as a tribute to him. When a spaniard survivor was rescued, he was able to translate to the castillian to the mayan, and the Malinche was able to translate from the Mayan to the Nahua. Therefore, Cortez was able to play with the mesoamerican realpolitik and turn the tributaries city states agaisnt the mexicas.

If the Ottomans , Chinese, Martians or any other culture managed to arrive to the shores of Mexico or Peru they surely would face a more consistence resistance without any near supply base or reinforcements, being eventually defeated by the locals or the tropical deseases as the black vomit or the malary.

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 18:46
You bet!

I agree absolutely.

Just see how badly the Norse failed in its own "Conquist of the Americas".
The same would had happened to Ottomans, Chineses or Martians, indeed LOL

Pinguin

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 22:58
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Dear All, this reminds me a long tiome topic opened on thsi regards about what if chineses discovered America. I said then and I´m saying now.

Yes, we all know this and there is no need to reiterate it.  There was a reason I started a new topic with a different set of questions to guide the discussion.  I hope that those appear a bit more detailed than just asking the silly question of "what if the Chinese/Ottomans discovered the New World!"  In fact, my question is not "what if they discovered it" in the new thread.  It goes a lot deeper than that, and the discussion thus far has been friutful.  See this for further reference:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17337 - Ottoman perceptions of the Americas  

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

If the Ottomans , Chinese, Martians or any other culture managed to arrive to the shores of Mexico or Peru they surely would face a more consistence resistance without any near supply base or reinforcements, being eventually defeated by the locals or the tropical deseases as the black vomit or the malary.

Yes, you are probably correct.  We have already thoroughly covered the aspect of disease and immunities in the new thread.  The question I am asking is a cultural one and already assumes that the Ottomans have made it to the New World.  If it is too much of a crazy alternative scenario for you, then you don't have to bother with it.  But, I assure you, we have applied real history to the scenario, which you can see here:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17337 - Ottoman perceptions of the Americas
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17337 -

-------------

Posted By: pekau
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 18:05
Another forum like this is in the Imperialism forum, just before Modern forum. Very interesting topic. Can this forum somehow merge with the one posted in Imperialism section>?

-------------
http://swagbucks.com/refer/Malachi">      

Join us.

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 21:01
Originally posted by pekau

Another forum like this is in the Imperialism forum, just before Modern forum. Very interesting topic. Can this forum somehow merge with the one posted in Imperialism section>?

I started both topics.  The reason why I started the new one is because there were some questions raised in here that I wanted to focus on separately.  People kept ignoring my posts when I tried to bring the focus onto these questions, so I thought a brand new topic would be the best way to facilitate the discussion.

-------------

Posted By: MASON1
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 21:22
i dont think ottomans could reach the new world becouse they faced a lot of thread from neighborhing countries like, afrika, europe, and persians they couldnt afford the new world.

-------------
MASONRY WELCOMES EVERYBODY

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 21:43
Originally posted by MASON1

i dont think ottomans could reach the new world becouse they faced a lot of thread from neighborhing countries like, afrika, europe, and persians they couldnt afford the new world.

You have arrived a bit late into the discussion.  Please see the previous three pages of this thread, where we already established that the Ottomans would not have gone to the New World because of mainly military, logistic, and economic difficulties.  This is why they chose the Indian Ocean instead.  Please see my thread on this:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9120 - Ottomans In the Indian Ocean

You might find interesting my new thread, in which we discuss the religious and ideological reasons why the Ottomans formed their concept of the Americas in the sixteenth century.  Also, we look at a hypothetical situation that assumes the Ottomans made contact with American Indians.

-------------

Posted By: pekau
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 21:47

Originally posted by pekau

I started both topics.  The reason why I started the new one is because there were some questions raised in here that I wanted to focus on separately.  People kept ignoring my posts when I tried to bring the focus onto these questions, so I thought a brand new topic would be the best way to facilitate the discussion.

Good idea. That's probably the best.

-------------
http://swagbucks.com/refer/Malachi">      

Join us.

Posted By: Batu
Date Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 12:09
I heard that Colombus first asked support from the Ottomans but Ottomans rejected him.

-------------
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )

Date Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 22:39

He asked support to Portugueses and British. I never heared he asked to Turks as well. Do you have references?

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com