Print Page | Close Window

Snow!!

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: AE Tavern
Forum Discription: Come here to introduce yourself and discuss almost anything under the sun! Or just to let your hair down...
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34116
Printed Date: 24-Apr-2024 at 20:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Snow!!
Posted By: red clay
Subject: Snow!!
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2013 at 08:39
It's snowing to beat the band here.  It's been going on now for over an hour.  It's only sticking to things like the patio chairs.
Also the leaves still on the trees.  That could be a problem if it keeps up.  The leaves have turned, but haven't dropped yet.

Realize first that I mowed the lawn 2 days ago.  This mess was unexpected, and very unseasonal. Usually we don't get anything like this for another month.

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Replies:
Posted By: Baal Melqart
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2013 at 13:29

That's strange. I live in the south of England and we still haven't seen any snow. Where exactly do you live in the US?

-------------
Timidi mater non flet

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2013 at 14:45
I live in West Central New Jersey.  About 25 miles from Phila.

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Posted By: Ollios
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2013 at 16:29

While you are struggling with snow, we are enjoying with the last flowers of the year in Istanbul
(my balcony)

-------------
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır

Posted By: Mountain Man
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2013 at 17:35
It's sunny and 61 F outside, here at 7,000 feet up in the Colorado Rockies!  Big smile

Must be a New Jersey thing.

-------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2013 at 20:40
Well, joisey is known for all sorts of strange things.  This am at about 0500, it was 51 F.  By 10, it was 37F, with a real feel of 28.  Yest. it was 59F.

Strangeness- http://weirdnj.com/stories/jersey-devil/ - http://weirdnj.com/stories/jersey-devil/

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2013 at 20:44
Dahlias, Ollios I'm envious.  I cut ours back and lifted the tubers 2 weeks ago.

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2013 at 09:21
Well, the snow only lasted for about an hour.  However, this am the temp when I got up was 22F.  Had to put the coat on the collie when I let her out.  Considering that 3 days ago I was still picking veggies from the garden, that's quite a shift.  I was hoping for a more gradual seasonal change.

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2013 at 10:33
60 and sunny here today.  It's great to live in the mountains!  LOL

-------------

Posted By: yomud
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2013 at 18:10
Originally posted by red clay

This mess was unexpected,

why you call snow as mess Big smile? if i were you i would make one of these snowmen

LOL

-------------
yomud are free people

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2013 at 14:00
Originally posted by yomud

why you call snow as mess Big smile? if i were you i would make one of these snowmen

LOL

İs it from Doctor Who? It could be nice in Halloween

-------------
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır

Posted By: medenaywe
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2013 at 15:25
Snow or Snowden came back in USA?Smile

Posted By: Don Quixote
Date Posted: 16-Nov-2013 at 16:09
Probably...I was terribly snowed in, lost net and the power stopped 3 times last night. I live in a snow belt, so...like 5 trees broke down with wet snow and hit the power line. The power workers said they had 44 more alerts...in 3 am!

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2013 at 17:00
It smells like snow also here this night!Who does it knows?!?

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2013 at 17:20
Originally posted by Ollios

LOL

İs it from Doctor Who? It could be nice in Halloween

if im going to be honest i just type scary snowman in google and search for image and pick the funny oneBig smile

-------------
yomud are free people

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2013 at 23:27
Is this a regular snow/cold wave which comes nearly same times in every year? and is the name of this snow wave Turkey? (Turkey(bird) because it comes nearly Thanksgiving)

-------------
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2013 at 00:07
Big smileDon't know if they named this storm.  They started naming "winter" storms 2 years ago.  What we call a storm like this here is a "Nor' Easter".  They have a large area of circulation which sucks down the Arctic air. Sandy, the storm that hit us here last year was actually a North Easter.  One on steroids, but still a N Easter.  They sometimes call that a "Canadian Clipper" as well.  However, if your in the exterior maintenance bus., it's called a pain in the a**. Big smile Try rounding up a decent snow crew TG Morning.

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2013 at 00:43
A Storm Update.  This isn't fun.  We are having wind gusts to 60-70 mph.  I just stepped outside and could hear trees snapping.

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2013 at 08:41
In the daylight it isn't as bad as it sounded last night.  Some branches down, but no major damage I can see.

The wind has settled down enough to allow the Balloons to be used at the Macy's Parade.

"God rest ye merry merchants may you make the Yuletide pay".

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2013 at 18:27

Big smileDon't know if they named this storm.  They started naming "winter" storms 2 years ago.  What we call a storm like this here is a "Nor' Easter".  They have a large area of circulation which sucks down the Arctic air. Sandy, the storm that hit us here last year was actually a North Easter.  One on steroids, but still a N Easter.  They sometimes call that a "Canadian Clipper" as well.  However, if your in the exterior maintenance bus., it's called a pain in the a**. Big smile Try rounding up a decent snow crew TG Morning.

It is not like hurricanes, for example we have swallow storm just because same week with swallow migration or indian summer(we call it differently), it is regular.

BTW his Istanbul was cold today too but not snowy

-------------
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2013 at 11:04
Okay, now I know what you were asking.  No, there isn't anything regular about storms at this time of year.
Actually, it's only been in the last 5-6 years that you could expect this time of year to be cold.  I managed garden centers for years.  Here, that bus. also sells Christmas trees, natural garlands and greens, etc. I would always rent a refrig. truck to store them, as it was always too warm to keep them out, and you would end up with a bunch of dead stuff.
Certainly there were exceptions.  Thanksgiving 1990, I had to get my butt out of bed and go plow 4-6 inches of snow.  But that was unusual. [profitable, but unusualBig smile]

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 07-Dec-2013 at 09:20
Now, I am waiting for the first snow of this winter

Weather forecast from Tomorrow to next Thursday

http://www.mgm.gov.tr/tahmin/turkiye.aspx?g=1#sfB">8 Aralık, Pazar
http://www.mgm.gov.tr/tahmin/turkiye.aspx?g=2#sfB">9 Aralık, Pazartesi
http://www.mgm.gov.tr/tahmin/turkiye.aspx?g=3#sfB">10 Aralık, Salı
http://www.mgm.gov.tr/tahmin/turkiye.aspx?g=4#sfB">11 Aralık, Çarşamba
http://www.mgm.gov.tr/tahmin/turkiye.aspx?g=5#sfB">12 Aralık, Perşembe

-------------
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır

Date Posted: 07-Dec-2013 at 16:38
Finally snowed here, too, along with sub-zero temps.

A minor inconvenience that will soon pass. 

-------------

Posted By: opuslola
Date Posted: 07-Dec-2013 at 18:08
We've just got to love that "Global Warming!" LOL

Ron

By the way, just what was the level of Sea Ice in the Artic Circle in the past year? Are the Polar Bears still treading water?

Ron

-------------
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/

Posted By: Kirsten
Date Posted: 07-Dec-2013 at 18:17
You have snow? 
It's not even freezing in the Netherlands yet, which makes me glad because when the streets get slippery I will be in trouble because I go everywhere by bike.

And even if it snows it won't be much. Seasons here are always a mild version of the stereo-type.

Date Posted: 07-Dec-2013 at 18:36
Have a safe and blessed Khristmas, Kirsten! (spelling deliberate)

Regards, Ron (a very old man!)

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Dec-2013 at 19:20
Van hetzelfde Ron! (Yes, that is Dutch)

Props for the pun.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Kirsten (not a very old man) (the opposite actually)

Date Posted: 08-Dec-2013 at 11:54
It's snowing now here in Jersey.  Just a "dusting".  It's supposed to turn over to rain by 4P.  It shouldn't effect the Eagles-Lions game much.  Both teams are used to playing in the cold.

I just kicked the fire some and brought in some more wood, so it can do what it wants, I"m good.Wink

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 08-Dec-2013 at 15:58
Attack Eagles!Smile

Date Posted: 08-Dec-2013 at 16:26

It's snowing now here in Jersey.  Just a "dusting".  It's supposed to turn over to rain by 4P.  It shouldn't effect the Eagles-Lions game much.  Both teams are used to playing in the cold.

I just kicked the fire some and brought in some more wood, so it can do what it wants, I"m good.Wink

And the game was basically played in a blizzard. LOL

Ron

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Dec-2013 at 16:32
It's a beautiful beginning of a wonderful friendship:LOL
[TUBE]5kiNJcDG4E0[/TUBE]

Date Posted: 08-Dec-2013 at 17:05
Originally posted by opuslola

And the game was basically played in a blizzard. LOL

Ron

I have never seen a football game played in 8" of snow, I have now.  It was snowing so hard you couldn't read the numbers on the Jerseys for most of the 1st quarter.  The Eagles won, that's good.  What's bad is, our dusting turned into about 6 inches.

-------------
Unknown.

Posted By: Sander
Date Posted: 08-Dec-2013 at 19:00
Originally posted by Kirsten

You have snow? 
It's not even freezing in the Netherlands yet, which makes me glad because when the streets get slippery I will be in trouble because I go everywhere by bike.

And even if it snows it won't be much. Seasons here are always a mild version of the stereo-type.

De vorige NL winter was anders aardig wit. Welkom op AE Big smile

( The last Dutch winterseason was pretty white, though )

Star

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2013 at 04:10
w0o0oo0w it's seams turkish snow are coming to my home town :D

-------------
yomud are free people

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2013 at 06:27
Dankjewel Sander!

Vond je? Ik vond het tegenvallen haha.

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2013 at 10:23
MORE SNOW!

Most of the snow that fell sunday melted off yesterday.  However, it's snowing again and accums of 4-6" are forcast.  Another storm is expected for sat.

This much snow before January is very unusual.

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2013 at 14:01

w0o0oo0w it's seams turkish snow are coming to my home town :D

Turkish snow LOL we call it Balkan snow in here Big smile

Today finally I saw the Snow, but it was just felling. There is nowhere now

-------------
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2013 at 15:08
no snow only snow white!

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2013 at 15:32
I have to take back my words, I have just hit my little brother with a snowball which I made it from snow near the window    Big smile

-------------
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2014 at 11:13
Last weekend we had 10 inches of snow.  Monday the Arctic Vortex moved in and we had temps around 4F with wind chills at -15F.  The temp difference from sunday to monday am was 61F.

The big problem has been the ice on the rivers.  The CG had to bring in an ice breaker to break up the Ice Dams just south of Trenton.  Above Trenton the Army Corp of Engineers were using explosives to break them up.

Right now we are getting freezing rain.  Everything is glazed over.  Many main roads are closed.

This is some of the whackiest weather I have ever seen for this area.  The Highway Depts have used more salt so far than in both of the past 2 years, and winter isn't over.

-------------
Unknown.

Posted By: toyomotor
Date Posted: 24-Jan-2014 at 04:14

It's snowing to beat the band here.  It's been going on now for over an hour.  It's only sticking to things like the patio chairs.
Also the leaves still on the trees.  That could be a problem if it keeps up.  The leaves have turned, but haven't dropped yet.

Realize first that I mowed the lawn 2 days ago.  This mess was unexpected, and very unseasonal. Usually we don't get anything like this for another month.

Tragic!!! Meanwhile some parts of Australia are experiencing temperatures in the low 40's Centigrade. Oh well......

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2014 at 06:50
Some folks down here are also seeing snow flurries.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2014 at 11:28
Flurries?  We had 15+ inches on tues. I didn't finish digging out until yesterday.  To make it even more fun, the temps dropped to 4 F, with a wind chill of -11F Weds. morning.

From last Sat. to this morning, I burned a 1/4 cord of wood. [A cord is 4x4x8] just to supplement
our central heating.

And the best part,  the weatherman said we may get to do it all over again on Sunday.Censored

To put it into perspective, 2 winters ago we had a total of 7.5 inches for the season.  Last winter we had 2.5.  This year we have had a total of 34", and it isn't Feb. yet.

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2014 at 19:48
As the proverbial Beer man says; "Stay warm my friend!"

Regards and thanks, Ron

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2014 at 01:54
We were suffering from dry winter. After the first snow, there was no rain so people have started rain prays in different parts of Turkey. Finally we are getting rain

-------------
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2014 at 15:59
Well, the weatherman said Sunday, but I'm sitting here watching it snow yet again.  We have 2 more inches and counting.
This was supposed to be "light flurries", a "dusting".  The main roads are good, but the sidestreets were still covered with a layer of compacted snow which has iced over.  2 inches of dry powder on compacted base may be great for skiers, but driving on it can be exciting.

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 00:34
But I'd bet you love it? Smile!

"Drive safely my friend!" From the beer guy! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 00:41

Sundey and The Snow is falling out!Winter comes today.Smile

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 00:45
And, where I live (South Mississippi, USA) the winter is over in about five weeks at the most!

Be careful my friends!

Ron

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 00:49
I have to be!My street has biggest inclination in town!Regards Ron!

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 09:09
The forcast for the South isn't very good.  Opuslola could be shoveling snow, instead of what he usually shovels. Wink The call is for 3-6 inches from New Orleans east.

Those folks are just not equipped to handle that kind of stuff.

Here it's just the cold now.  Yesterday it got up to 46F. By 10pm it was 18F.  This AM it was 5F with a windchill of -10.
The Barnegat Bay is frozen over for the first time in 40 years and the Delaware is more frozen in than it was last week.

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 11:41
Snowing and 2 degrees F here today, courtesy of the Canadians and the Jet Stream.  Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 13:42
this is the worst winter i ever have ! it will be kind of you americans to give some of your snow to us !! we have only 2 time rain since autumn Exclamation and 2 sand storm since winter (this was never happend b4) Wacko usually we should have a lot of rain and snow ! but now in middle of winter i GET SUMMER !! with hot air and sunny dayDead !!! im sure ollios stolen my clouds and hide it in his pocket Big smile !!!!! give it back to me !Clown

-------------
yomud are free people

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 15:09

this is the worst winter i ever have ! it will be kind of you americans to give some of your snow to us !! we have only 2 time rain since autumn Exclamation and 2 sand storm since winter (this was never happend b4) Wacko usually we should have a lot of rain and snow ! but now in middle of winter i GET SUMMER !! with hot air and sunny dayDead !!! im sure ollios stolen my clouds and hide it in his pocket Big smile !!!!! give it back to me !Clown

same thing is happening in Turkey too, there is no rain or snow. I think, today I saw the last snow of the winter, but it was not strong enough.

-------------
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 17:22
Sun came out at 1122 hours and the temp is pushing 60 F once more.  Even got the pig to out and bask in the sunlight, along with the dogs, the cats and all the other @#$%&*! household wildlife.  Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2014 at 17:44
Well Red, you have forced your crappy weather upon me! It has been sleeting for hours and hours of snow is expected later tonight, along with the temp. expected to fall to around 22 degrees F.

I might well wake up with 6" of snow on top of a layer of ice. Wow! What fun it will be. Hundreds of people who live here cannot get to work or go home because most all of the roads are closed.

Hey! I live about 2,000 feet from the Gulf of Mexico! This might just well be a 50 year storm?

Oh! right now at 1645 hours Central time, all of the roofs, yards and roads have a good coating of ice!

Good luck up there!

Rondo

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2014 at 10:52
Woke up to another round of fresh powder, about 1.5-2 inches.  Light enough to be able to use the leaf blower to clear off the cars and sidewalk.

Ron, the towns down where you are don't own things like snow plows and truck mounted salters. They usually don't have need of them.  If you have to melt the ice and can't find Rock Salt or Calcium Chloride, call your local farm or garden supply and ask if they have "prilled urea" or some other high Nitrogen fertilizer.  Urea works best, but any high nitro fert will do the job.  If it has a gravel carrier, it will help with traction.  I've used in very heavy winters when all other sources and supplies are gone.

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2014 at 11:16
Bright, clear and sunny again today.  Most of the snow will be gone by this afternoon.

Now I remember why I don't live up North or back east.  Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 06:26
i got the first snow of the year in this day it's greats !Thumbs Up

-------------
yomud are free people

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 19:35

i got the first snow of the year in this day it's greats !Thumbs Up

Snow is something I usually see on mountain tops here in Tasmania. I guess we're very lucky to have the climate that we do. No tropical cyclones like our northern states, no excessive heat waves of over 40 degrees Celsius, Tassie really is the "promised land".

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2014 at 12:02
Sigh, once again I'm sitting watching it pile up on the patio.  Forcast is for 3-6 inches of heavy wet stuff.  And of course it rained it's ass off first, nicely washing away all of the salt everyone pretreated with.

I was aware enough to go pick up another truck bed of firewood, before this stuff hit.  If it's heavy enough and freezes on the power lines, could be a mess.
But I have our trusty 5,000 watt kicker and a full load of firewood, so it can do whatever it wants.

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2014 at 13:57
it did whatever it wanted to.  4-6" turned out to be 9'' of heavy wet snow.  The kind of snow that turns into snow boulders when the plow goes through.  You don't shovel them, you roll them out of the way.Big smile

According to the weather channel, we are expecting more by about 5pm.  The local news says it may be a "mixed event". Swell.
Another major storm is forcast for Sat. into Sun.  I can't wait.Tongue

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2014 at 18:33
Red Clay: You could always migrate to Tasmania, we need SpecEd Teachers.

Our climate does not include snow in low lying areas. We have no Tropical Cyclones and have a moderate rain fall. We are not Earthquake prone and have no active volcanoes.

Our lowest temp in residential areas is about -1 C in Winter(overnight) and in Summer can go as high as the mid thirties.

And if at first you don't like the weather, just wait 20minutes (joke).

The state population is about .5million people, the crime rate is about the same as a US village. We have some of the finest natural scenery in the world.

And the people are the friendliest in the world.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2014 at 11:11
Ian, it's tempting, you have no idea how tempting.

This latest storm is turning out to be an all ice event.  Up to a million are without power.  In my town, trees are down all over.  2 main roads are closed due to huge trees having come down over them.
But now they are issuing flood warnings.  The ground is frozen, there was 10-12 inches of snow covering it, and now we're getting freezing rain.  There's no place for the water to go. 

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2014 at 20:12

Ian, it's tempting, you have no idea how tempting.

This latest storm is turning out to be an all ice event.  Up to a million are without power.  In my town, trees are down all over.  2 main roads are closed due to huge trees having come down over them.
But now they are issuing flood warnings.  The ground is frozen, there was 10-12 inches of snow covering it, and now we're getting freezing rain.  There's no place for the water to go. 
We see almost daily new reports on TV about the atrocious weather conditions in the US, and I often think to myself, "Why would you live there?" a rhetorical question of course.

But if it's not snow, it's cyclones ravaging the countryside, or bush fires, or floods, and it seems that no part of continental USA is spared.

I do really feel sorry for all of those people who are still suffering from Katrina and the other natural disasters which have befallen the US in recent years. And I'm a bit pissed off that people are still basically homeless while trillions of dollars are being spent on Space Exploration and warfare.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com