Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: History of the South Asian subcontinent
Forum Discription: The Indian sub-continent and South Central Asia
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32407
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 18:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hinduism emerged from Buddhism ?
Posted By: oxydracae
Subject: Hinduism emerged from Buddhism ?
Date Posted: 17-Sep-2012 at 04:02
Here by Hinduism I strictly mean Shaivism and Vaishnavism...

Shaivism: a sect that emphasise the worship of god Shiva. It looks like a syncretism of worship of Vedic god Indra and ideology of Vajrayana sect of Buddhism.

Vaishnavism: a sect that emphasise the worship of god Vishnu. It looks like syncretism of worship of Vedic god Surya (Sun god) and ideology of Mahayana sect of Buddhism.

Replies:
Posted By: Nick1986
Date Posted: 18-Sep-2012 at 19:31
I thought the opposite was the case: Buddhism was derived from Hindu teachings of reincarnation and nonviolence

-------------
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!

Date Posted: 20-Sep-2012 at 04:03
Brother, both reincarnation and non-violence were Buddhist concepts.. or more precisely we can say Shramana concepts..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shramana - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shramana

Posted By: Don Quixote
Date Posted: 20-Sep-2012 at 13:20
I thought that Hindusim started from the time of the Harrapan civilization, long before Gautama Budda. Bt. it's possible some Hinduist sects to ave been formed under the inlfuence of Buddism, after all Hindusim is not a whole block of ideas, it has it's streams and branches too, tnat formed in one time or another under different infuences.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 13:19
I am not sure if we can consider Harappan Religion as Hinduism, if that is the case then we have to consider Pre-Christian Pagan Faiths of Europe as Hinduism also.

Posted By: lirelou
Date Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 13:58
The historical Buddha was a Hindu. That seems to make it self-explanatory. Buddhism was an off-shoot of Hinduism must as Christianity is an off-shoot of Judaism. Modern Hindism is proof that even when once religion supplants another, as Buddhism did Hinduism during the reign of Ashoka, the previous religion can make a come-back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashoka

-------------
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì

Date Posted: 21-Sep-2012 at 20:44
Buddhists aren't neccessarily atheists. Many believe you can be reborn as a god, although these too will eventually die

-------------

Posted By: lirelou
Date Posted: 22-Sep-2012 at 14:42
Nick, no Buddhist is an atheist. Buddhism does not define God, meaning the Supreme Being. Mahayana Buddhism does include Pure Land Buddhists, who believe that they will be reborn into the Pure Land of the West, where they will have a higher existence that will bring them closer to Nirvana. Suffice it to say that this higher state of being does not make them "Gods" in the Judeo-Christian meaning of that term. 

Any practicing Buddhist, and by this I really mean the clergy or others who practice Buddhist meditation, are by definition acknowledging the existence of a higher power, one they do not assume the arrogance of defining. The act of 'sitting' is in itself an expression of religious belief. Ergo, they accept the tenets of a religion, not a philosophy. 

As for the Jack Kerouac hippies, they were not Buddhists. Neither is anyone who practices the meditation sciences, which existed in India before Buddhism, for the purposes of worldly self-improvement. (i.e., better health, sharper mind, stop smoking, etc, etc)  That difference lies in the minds of the practitioners and not in a manual.  

-------------
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2012 at 21:23
I've heard about Pure Land Buddhism. Its description sounds very similar to Christianity: an afterlife where enlightenment can be gained, a Christ-like leader worshipped as a god, a higher power capable of intervening, Nembutsu prayers similar to the Catholic rosary, and great emphasis on the power of faith
http://questionsinthesand.blogspot.co.uk/2005/10/christian-pureland-parallels.html - http://questionsinthesand.blogspot.co.uk/2005/10/christian-pureland-parallels.html

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Sep-2012 at 04:48
Jesus was Jew, I think that is clear from the first line of New Testament. However, 'Buddha was Hindu' that is very vague statement as major Hindu holy-books Ramayana, Mahabharata and Gita are written many centuries after the death of Buddha. So, it is like claiming that 'Jesus was Muslim'.

Originally posted by lirelou

Modern Hinduism is proof that even when once religion supplants another, as Buddhism did Hinduism during the reign of Ashoka, the previous religion can make a come-back.

That is my point, Hinduism is not a come-back of previous Vedic Religion. We don't see the revival of Vedic deities like Indra, Agni, Ashvins, Varuna and Maruts. Rather, in Hinduism most revered deities are Shiva, Rama, Krishna and Devi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Vedic_religion - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Vedic_religion

Posted By: Azat
Date Posted: 23-Sep-2012 at 13:28
Hinduism is not a religion in strict sense.Also vedic religion was not native to this soil so Indra etc were never taken as supreme God in India,If  I am not wrong even Lord Vishnu is a late enterant in old Indian religious belief system.

Date Posted: 23-Sep-2012 at 19:23
I thought Hinduism was the worship of a pantheon of gods including Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Ganesh, and Kali

-------------

Posted By: heyamigos
Date Posted: 01-Oct-2012 at 06:17
Buddha originated from Nepal and his exact origin, Aryan or Sino-Tibetan is not known.  But, his doing away with caste system gives a good hint.  In India, the caste system was said to be keep the status quo of the descendants of Aryan invaders over the local Dravidian natives.

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2012 at 09:33
Originally posted by heyamigos

Buddha originated from Nepal and his exact origin, Aryan or Sino-Tibetan is not known.  But, his doing away with caste system gives a good hint.  In India, the caste system was said to be keep the status quo of the descendants of Aryan invaders over the local Dravidian natives.

Does that mean he was an Aryan rebelling against his ancestral traditions, or a Tibetan who rejected such practises as alien?

-------------

Posted By: Bharata
Date Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 15:26
Possibly vedic religion took  changes after entrance of buddism,vaisnnavism and shaivism.I am not sure as to which entered first could be possible each religion entered from various parts of india.
Smile

Posted By: medenaywe
Date Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 15:40
It looks more complicated Bharata.All religions came from one:Earth we share today was our Goddess.Smile
Welcome in forum!

Date Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 15:43
Thank you.I was only saying how different vedic religion is from todays hindusim which is mixture of many ancient religions

Posted By: Centrix Vigilis
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2012 at 04:03
Originally posted by Bharata

Thank you.I was only saying how different vedic religion is from today's hinduism which is mixture of many ancient religions

Astute.

And I also welcome you to the forum and look forward to more of your thoughts on the Vedic and other areas.

CV

Hq's in the Field
Apache NF
Vic: Clifton, AZ.

-------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2012 at 05:03
Thank you. my intrest is mainly in south asians history before the 800AD as we dont have much records of those times and many could actually be distorted. 

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2012 at 14:01
You're welcome. Tell me Bharata, what aspects of southeastern Asia interest you most?

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Dec-2012 at 03:21
My intrest is mainly in south asias history before the 800AD as we dont have much records of those times and many could actually be distorted.
religion,empires and inentions of sounth asia in those times 
The debate about who was sandracottus has caught my intrest recently.

Posted By: Venkytalks
Date Posted: 15-Jan-2013 at 10:37
Originally posted by oxydracae

Shaivism: a sect that emphasise the worship of god Shiva. It looks like a syncretism of worship of Vedic god Indra and ideology of Vajrayana sect of Buddhism.

Vaishnavism: a sect that emphasise the worship of god Vishnu. It looks like syncretism of worship of Vedic god Surya (Sun god) and ideology of Mahayana sect of Buddhism.
Buddhism and Jainism emerged from the Vedic religion which was practiced by a ruling class in nomadic times and in the beginning of Pataliputra the first city of the gangetic plain. These two new religions almost destroyed the Vedic religion.

What we do not know is how much of the original indus religion and other local tribal beliefs survived in other Indian communities between 1800 to 600 BC and how early temple worship I.e. temples made of impermanent materials existed in India.

What we call Hinduism today is prayer to local Indian Gods using a foreign Sanscrit language and hymns written for entirely different I.e. Vedic Gods. no Hindu prays to any Vedic God except the later Vedic God Vishnu who was originally the body of the sacrifice.

Except for  vegetarianism and non violence adopted in response to Budhism and Jainism (originally Vedic religion demanded animal sacrifice) here is nothing derived from Budhism in Hinduism

although many Vedic practices of Yagnya are still done almost entirely in the Vedic way with very few non Vedic interpolations like Vigneswara dhyanam or achamanam

-------------
Venky

Date Posted: 27-Feb-2013 at 11:24
Originally posted by Venkytalks

Originally posted by oxydracae

Buddhism and Jainism emerged from the Vedic religion which was practiced by a ruling class in nomadic times and in the beginning of Pataliputra the first city of the gangetic plain. These two new religions almost destroyed the Vedic religion.

little correction:
Both Buddhism and Jainism emerged from Shraman tradition, which is as old as Vedic tradition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shramanism - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shramanism

What we do not know is how much of the original indus religion and other local tribal beliefs survived in other Indian communities between 1800 to 600 BC and how early temple worship I.e. temples made of impermanent materials existed in India.

What we call Hinduism today is prayer to local Indian Gods using a foreign Sanscrit language and hymns written for entirely different I.e. Vedic Gods. no Hindu prays to any Vedic God except the later Vedic God Vishnu who was originally the body of the sacrifice.

Except for  vegetarianism and non violence adopted in response to Budhism and Jainism (originally Vedic religion demanded animal sacrifice) here is nothing derived from Budhism in Hinduism

although many Vedic practices of Yagnya are still done almost entirely in the Vedic way with very few non Vedic interpolations like Vigneswara dhyanam or achamanam
Can we say Classical Hinduism was the amalgation of Vedic, Shramana and local animist believes ?

Posted By: Venkytalks
Date Posted: 04-Mar-2013 at 10:10
I personally believe that during Gupta empire a political amalgamation of Brahminism and Satavahana time temple worship was created just as the ecumenical council created Catholicism.

This coincided with enlargement of epics and puranas is a state sponsored systematic fashion because the enemies of the Guptas were Kushans Shakas and Parthians who were all Budhist. 

The epics and puranas with some exceptions how good evidence of purposeful enlargement than evolution. And this took place before Shhankara who further helped in the development of modern hinduism.

Shramana tradition is more related to Hindu philosophy than religion. Upanishadic philosophy itself might have evolved due to contact with prevedic Indian traditions of Samkhya Yoga and austerities. These might date back to Indus valley. The tradition really affected monks more than common people. The Karma marga of Bhagavad gita is probably the main contributuon to Hindu religion. Few Indians follow Shramana tradition. 

Mimamsa and temple worship are the main methods of worship for Hindus just as going to Church or Mosque and personal prayers are the main forms of worship for common people.

-------------
Venky

Date Posted: 08-May-2013 at 08:21

This coincided with enlargement of epics and puranas is a state sponsored systematic fashion because the enemies of the Guptas were Kushans Shakas and Parthians who were all Budhist. 

Very thoughtful post Clap
This is very much possible that in response to the Mahayana Buddhism of Kushanas many Indian Kingdoms especially Arjunayanas and Guptas replied with Mahabharata and Puranas.

Posted By: aptil
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2014 at 10:43
buddha was born in a hindu royal family in modern day bihar .  

Posted By: Ticker
Date Posted: 30-Dec-2014 at 21:55
The Buddhists claim that their religion evolved before Vedism and Hinduism. Buddhist scholars identify some of the archaeological evidence found at Indus Valley Civilisation sites, is also of particular religious significance to Buddhism. This includes the symbols like the Bodhi tree (Pipal Tree) and animals such as the elephant and deer. Perhaps most important being the discovery of several images of figures sitting in cross-legged postures with their hands resting on their knees, with their eyes narrowed, half-closed, in postures of meditation as practiced by Buddha. 

The Buddhist scholars also state that The Buddha Himself indicated about the Indus Valley origins of His tradition when He said that the path which He taught was an ancient path and the goal to which He pointed to was an ancient goal. The Buddhists belief in six Buddhas prior to the Buddha Shakyamuni within this aeon, they state is indicative of this fact. The Buddhist scholars state that all these point to a continuity between the tradition of the Indus Valley Civilization and the teachings of the Buddha. 

Posted By: Don Quixote
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2015 at 16:52
Human religion tend to use old symbols to present new ideas - this is well documented in the history of Christianity. So, finding of symbols at any given time doesn't necessarily mean that those symbols were used for later meanings. For example, the cross is well documented in Egypt from the time of the Old Kingdom, but we cannot use that to claim that Christianity exists since say 3000 BC.

In any case, all founders of religions state that their teachings are ancient, this doesn't mean that they are per se so. Buddhism started with Buddha, actually after him, as Buddha himself created a teaching, a philosophy, not a religion. I would assume that the religionizing, so to speak, of his philosophy started with his students, at the earliest.

-------------

Posted By: Andrew Roosevelt
Date Posted: 14-Mar-2015 at 03:26
Originally posted by Nick1986

I thought the opposite was the case: Buddhism was derived from Hindu teachings of reincarnation and nonviolence

100% Agreeable, in reality the religion of Hinduism can is far too old when compared to Buddhism, Christianity or Islam. Its true that Buddhism and Hinduism have some similarity, but saying Hindusim emerged from Buddhism is like a "Child saying my father looks like me", the truth is the "Child Looks like his father".

-------------
I am not a http://www.philyoungconsulting.com - Business Acumen expert, I just share what little I know.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com