Print Page | Close Window

Riddle game

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Scholarly Pursuits
Forum Name: Intellectual discussions
Forum Discription: Discuss political and philosophical theories, religious beliefs and other academic subjects
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30943
Printed Date: 24-Apr-2024 at 18:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Riddle game
Posted By: Nick1986
Subject: Riddle game
Date Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 19:24

If precious asks, and it doesn't answer, we eats it, my preciousss. If it asks us, and we doesn't answer, then we does what it wants, eh?

What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees,
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?

The person who solves the previous riddle asks the next one

-------------
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!

Replies:
Posted By: TheAlaniDragonRising
Date Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 19:30
Oh no, that seems to be a bit of a mountain for me to get over, so I'll leave it there.Smile

-------------
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.

Date Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 20:05
Correct! It's your turn to ask a riddle

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Jan-2012 at 20:20
OK then, what can go up a chimney down, but not down a chimney up? (This is an ordinary house chimney by the way)LOL

-------------
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.

Date Posted: 09-Jan-2012 at 19:50

A chimneysweep's brush?

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Jan-2012 at 20:13
I'm sorry, Nick, but no. I'll give you a clue, it's something you don't usually stick up a chimney, but might be held in a similar fashion to the brush in your picture.Smile

-------------

Posted By: tjadams
Date Posted: 09-Jan-2012 at 20:35
An umbrella.

Date Posted: 09-Jan-2012 at 20:42
Originally posted by tjadams

An umbrella.
Correct, tjadams, your go.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2012 at 02:59
You tip was a dead give away. Embarrassed

Q. "What can you put in a wooden box that will make it lighter?"
A. 

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2012 at 06:01

You tip was a dead give away. Embarrassed
I was hoping it was.Smile

Q. "What can you put in a wooden box that will make it lighter?"
A. 
I had an idea that to answer such a question you would probably have to think outside of the box, but I'm not so sure now.LOL

I could think of two, coming from the way your question was written. The first would be a hole, as you make one in the construct of the box itself. My second, and this is where the irony of thinking outside of the box comes in, a light(candle or torch...etc...) as inside the wooden box would be probably dark, and the light would illuminate the inside.

-------------

Posted By: medenaywe
Date Posted: 10-Jan-2012 at 06:56
smoke!

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2012 at 18:43
I think Alani Dragon's got it. Is that the correct answer TJ?

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2012 at 19:04

Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

The first would be a hole

Thumbs Up

Yes. You win. ....you're up.

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2012 at 19:19
ClapClapClap

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 15:33
OK, you start off with a refrigerator, alright? How do you put an elephant into it? 

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 16:29
Open the door and lead him in (assuming it's a very big fridge)

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 16:39
Originally posted by Nick1986

Open the door and lead him in (assuming it's a very big fridge)

Indeed, Nick, well done, your turn.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 16:41
Inside a green house was a white house. Inside the white house was a red house containing lots of black babies. The red house was bigger than all the other houses.
What is it?

-------------

Posted By: Arab
Date Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 16:53
A white woman who lives in a green house. The red house is her womb. She was cheating on her husband.

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 17:04

Inside a green house was a white house. Inside the white house was a red house containing lots of black babies. The red house was bigger than all the other houses.
What is it?
I'm sorry, Nick, I didn't need to work that one out as I already knew it. It's a watermelon. I hope this doesn't count as cheating. If it does, Nick, then have another go.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 19:33

What is it?
I'm sorry, Nick, I didn't need to work that one out as I already knew it. It's a watermelon. I hope this doesn't count as cheating. If it does, Nick, then have another go.

Bingo! Your turn again AlaniThumbs Up
Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 21:36

OK, there these two pillars, which are completely solid, and a kilometre between them. Each of them are a kilometre high. The land is completely flat with nothing around them, apart from a small thin piece of wood, a pebble, and a limitless amount of thick cord. With only these things talked about here, how do you manage to traverse from the top of one pillar to the other?

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Jan-2012 at 19:41
Walk the tightrope

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2012 at 03:21

Walk the tightrope
No, Nick, how would you connect the two pillars anyway with you being on the one?

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2012 at 19:32
Are these "pillars" actually the masts and rigging of a ship?

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2012 at 19:46

Are these "pillars" actually the masts and rigging of a ship?
No, Nick, they are solid pillars on totally flat featureless ground.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 00:43
This is trigonometry task as I can see.You need booth pillars inclined from the side of others.Their tops will connect then.Rest is obvious.Backslash and front slash pillar make equilateral triangle.

Date Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 05:06
Originally posted by medenaywe

This is trigonometry task as I can see.You need booth pillars inclined from the side of others.Their tops will connect then.Rest is obvious.Backslash and front slash pillar make equilateral triangle.
No, medenaywe, the pillars are solid and unmoving.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 15:27
I've got it. It's a suspension bridge

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 15:31

I've got it. It's a suspension bridge
No, Nick, how would you connect the pillars?

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jan-2012 at 19:17
Tie the rope to one pillar and swing across?

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 16:40
"look at the objects supplied and see what is actually said when describing them"

Use the cord to climb down the first pillar, walk over to the second and climb up with the same piece of rope.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 16:49

"look at the objects supplied and see what is actually said when describing them"

Use the cord to climb down the first pillar, walk over to the second and climb up with the same piece of rope.
No, Nick, from the top of one pillar a kilometre high to the top of the pillar a kilometre high a kilometre away. Btw how would you manage to get up a pillar one kilometre high to get to the very top. Actually it would be possible by the method used, but you can't touch the ground between.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 16:52

Tie the rope to one pillar and swing across?
You couldn't swing across because of the height of the pillars and the distance between.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Jan-2012 at 20:13
Is the object in question something we use everyday?

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2012 at 19:18
I bet the answer's something so obvious we'll all be kicking ourselves. The pillars, string and wood are basketball posts. The person referred to in the riddle is the ball who has to simply bounce across from one hoop to the other

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2012 at 20:17
A major clue: You walk across on one thing, but how is it set out?

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 12:16
I've got it! The "pillars" are actually manholes sunk into the ground. You're at the bottom of one of them. To get out, you climb the rope you used to get in, walk a kilometer to the second manhole (missing its lid) and cross using the piece of wood

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 12:25

I've got it! The "pillars" are actually manholes sunk into the ground. You're at the bottom of one of them. To get out, you climb the rope you used to get in, walk a kilometer to the second manhole (missing its lid) and cross using the piece of wood
I love that one, Nick, and good thinking out of the box there by the way, but no I'm afraid, the pillars are solid, but I can say you do walk straight across between the two on whatever is under foot.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page. 

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 19:31
Are these pillars holding up some sort of giant billboard? If you kept a tight hold on the rope safety rail you might be able to walk across

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2012 at 19:37

Are these pillars holding up some sort of giant billboard? If you kept a tight hold on the rope safety rail you might be able to walk across
Unfortunately not, Nick. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 13:40
The ropes and wood wouldn't be some sort of trapeze, would they? If there were two or three of them suspended from the ceiling (assuming we're talking about a circus tent) you might be able to swing across

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 13:44
Idea of riddle is creation of non logical solution.In real life we laugh in this situation Nick cause our brain has no already prepared answer!LOLThan laugh here!

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 14:03

The ropes and wood wouldn't be some sort of trapeze, would they? If there were two or three of them suspended from the ceiling (assuming we're talking about a circus tent) you might be able to swing across
Being on the top of one of the pillars it would be impossible to make a trapeze. A further clue: only one of the props is used for this one.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2012 at 19:49
Perhaps the ropes are woven into a net at the bottom of the pillar? If you land hard enough (weighted down with the pebbles), you could bounce your way to the other pillar

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2012 at 12:44

Perhaps the ropes are woven into a net at the bottom of the pillar? If you land hard enough (weighted down with the pebbles), you could bounce your way to the other pillar
The ropes could be woven, Nick, but they don't need to be as it is all to do with the quantity. Is there rope at the bottom of the pillars? It would have been dishonest of me to ignore the question of rope at the bottom of the pillars. There is indeed rope near the bottom of the pillars.Smile Btw Nick, your answer wasn't correct.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2012 at 13:15
It's finally come to me: the rope's piled so high you can simply walk across

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2012 at 13:16

It's finally come to me: the rope's piled so high you can simply walk across

Well done, Nick, you're totally correct. Your go.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2012 at 19:31
That was a tough one.Clap Let's see if you can get this one:

Paul is 20 years old in 1980, but only 15 in 1985. How is this possible?

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 06:32

Wow, Nick, I nearly didn't get this one, until I got paper and pencil out. Though admittedly still it was on my second attempt. My first attempt had me write the dates out first and putting the ages underneath, and that was no good. My second go though, and if this is right, Nick, I wrote Paul's ages first in numerical order lowest to highest then placed the years in after. Still it didn't instantly hit me until while looking at this combination I asked myself why backwards in age. Then it hit me, logically he can't have gone backwards in age and time goes forward, but historically speaking, and this being a history forum, we have dates BC and AD, so my guess is that the dates were BC and he was 15 in 1985 BC and five years on in 1980 BC he was 20. Smile  

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 06:38
If it was BC,how old is Paul now?LOLRegards riddler!

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 08:35

Wow, Nick, I nearly didn't get this one, until I got paper and pencil out. Though admittedly still it was on my second attempt. My first attempt had me write the dates out first and putting the ages underneath, and that was no good. My second go though, and if this is right, Nick, I wrote Paul's ages first in numerical order lowest to highest then placed the years in after. Still it didn't instantly hit me until while looking at this combination I asked myself why backwards in age. Then it hit me, logically he can't have gone backwards in age and time goes forward, but historically speaking, and this being a history forum, we have dates BC and AD, so my guess is that the dates were BC and he was 15 in 1985 BC and five years on in 1980 BC he was 20. Smile  

Correct! Your turn AlaniClap

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 08:46
An aircraft is travelling long distance and has many many passengers from many many countries, when it changes direction and crashes directly crashes on the border of three countries with a huge loss of life. Lets say the countries are Germany, Austria, and the Czech Republic. The question is, how do you decide in which country you should bury the survivors?

-------------

Posted By: red clay
Date Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 11:29
You don't bury survivors. Big smile

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 11:35
Originally posted by red clay

You don't bury survivors. Big smile
Correct, red clay, your turn.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 13:00
What has 4 wheels and flies?

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 13:02

What has 4 wheels and flies?
Is it a table with wings? Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 13:06
A garbage truck.  Ya gotta think about that one for a minute.Big smile

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 13:10

A garbage truck.  Ya gotta think about that one for a minute.Big smile
Ha ha ha, red clay, yes I get it all right.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

OK, red clay, try us with another.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 11:57
Let's get this game going again. Who wants to post the next riddle?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 12:01

Let's get this game going again. Who wants to post the next riddle?
I know, Nick, as you've asked, why don't you.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 12:41
In marble halls as white as milk,
Lined with a skin as soft as silk,
Within a fountain crystal-clear,
A golden apple doth appear.
No doors there are to this stronghold,
Yet thieves break in and steal the gold

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 13:06

In marble halls as white as milk,
Lined with a skin as soft as silk,
Within a fountain crystal-clear,
A golden apple doth appear.
No doors there are to this stronghold,
Yet thieves break in and steal the gold
This reminds me of the melon one a bit, so I'm guessing it might be similar. Is the gold real gold or just the colour of gold?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 13:23
It's the color of gold

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 13:27
mouth with teeths?

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 15:20

It's the color of gold

When you say gold, is it gold gold, or is it a variety of yellow? 

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 15:24
A variety of yellow

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 15:25
Originally posted by medenaywe

mouth with teeths?

No. Try again

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 15:29
Then I think the last line might give it away a bit, " Yet thieves break in and steal the gold". Is it an egg?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 16:00

Then I think the last line might give it away a bit, " Yet thieves break in and steal the gold". Is it an egg?

It is indeed. Your go

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 16:19
What always runs but never walks, often murmurs, never talks, has a bed but never sleeps, has a mouth but never eats?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 19:02
Easy. It's a river

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 19:04

Easy. It's a river
I'm glad you said that, Nick, and yes you're correct. Your go.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 19:31
As I went through a garden gap,
Who should I meet but Dick Red-Cap!
A stick in his hand, a stone in his throat,
If you'll tell me this riddle,
I'll give you a groat.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 19:47
Is it a cockerel? 

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 19:51
Nope

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2012 at 19:57
Is it a goat?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 12:48
Nope.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 13:28
If it has a stick, and a stone inside, is it some sort of a fruit? Just in case it is, is it a plum or apple?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 13:41
You're very close Alani, but it's not a plum or apple

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 13:55
So it is a fruit. Is it a nectarine, peach, or cherry? I'm going on the red being on the fruit, am I right?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 14:44
Cherry is the right answer. Here's your groat Alani

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 15:04
You answer me, although I never ask you questions. What am I?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 17:42
I think i know what it is, but will wait a couple of hours to give someone else the chance to solve it

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 20:06
It's a telephone!

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 20:09

It's a telephone!
Yes indeed, Nick, you're correct. It's your go.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 21:20
Formed long ago, yet made to-day,
Employed while others sleep;
What few would like to give away,
Nor any wish to keep.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 23:57

Formed long ago, yet made to-day,
Employed while others sleep;
What few would like to give away,
Nor any wish to keep.
Ah, Nick, an old favour of mine I think, a bed.Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 15:07
That's right. Your turn again Alani

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 15:19

That's right. Your turn again Alani
No, Nick, there's no way that I can accept this one. I already knew this one, and that's because the last time I heard it I didn't get it that time, and had to wait for the answer. It just feels like it would be dishonest of me to accept it, and that isn't in my nature. So either post a new one, Nick, or leave it open for someone else for a while.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 17:47
If you insist. If you already know this one, give it a couple of hours. If nobody else comes forward, feel free to answer it:

Thomas a Tattamus took two T's,
To tie two tups to two tall trees,
To frighten the terrible Thomas a Tattamus!
Tell me how many T's there are in all that!

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 20:16
Would that be Two Ts, Nick?

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 21:58
Indeed it is. Your go

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2012 at 22:06

While exploring the wild highlands of Scotland, Crazy Rob was captured by hostile wood fairies.

Smazze, the powerful chief of the fairies told him he could make one final statement which would determine how he would die.

If the statement he made was false, he would be boiled in water.

If the statement were true, he would be fried in oil.

Crazy Rob  found neither of this options too his liking, so he made a statement that got him out of this seemingly impossible situation.

What is the one statement he could make to save himself?

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2012 at 18:36
Are there no takers for this one then?Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2012 at 19:20
This is a tough one. Was Crazy Rob dreaming?

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2012 at 11:06

This is a tough one. Was Crazy Rob dreaming?
Seeing it's difficult I will say this as a clue. The statement has to do with the threat.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2012 at 11:31
He must have said something that was neither true nor false. Let me think about it

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2012 at 11:38

He must have said something that was neither true nor false. Let me think about it
That's the right way to look at it, Nick, now what were the threats again?Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2012 at 19:11
You will boil me in water?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com