Print Page | Close Window

Why the British should hate American's

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: Military History
Forum Discription: Discussions related to military history: generals, battles, campaigns, etc.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29105
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 19:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why the British should hate American's
Posted By: mynoon
Subject: Why the British should hate American's
Date Posted: 27-Jan-2011 at 17:45
I am from UK and I hate USA because of USA war of independence, war of 1812, ww1, ww2, post ww2, falklands war, USA banking system, and the way USA has taken over BP.

Replies:
Posted By: Athena
Date Posted: 30-Jan-2011 at 09:48
Perhaps you would have preferred the US stayed out of WWII until the Germans invaded the US?  Do you think there would be a UK today, if that had happened?  The US has supported the British in many ways.  A main reason for the US attempting to control the mid east is to secure oil for Britain.  Yes, the US has stepped in where the British have pulled out, but it did not force the British out, and Britain has benefited from the change of power, because the US perceives it their best interest to take good care of a trading partner.  

http://www.redstate.com/california_yankee/2010/02/25/obama-refuses-to-support-britain-in-falkland-islands-dispute-with-argentina/

Okay, now I see why you say you hate the US.  What gives Britain the right to the Falkland islands?  How is Britain's imperialism justified?  I have edited out my opinion, because I went on to research the British claim and it is a good one.   My first reaction was to oppose British imperialism, thinking the island had native inhabitants and it did not. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands

Here is the possible justification of British claim to the Falkland, and it is a good one.  Most the people are British and the Argentinians are late comers.   The UN gave the citizens the opportunity to vote Britain out and the people did not.   This matter needs to be handled by the UN, because it is not a good thing for the US to worsen its relationships with South America. 

The whole disagreement pushes us to consider what is good government, what are the rights of the people?  What is best for the world? 

Posted By: Cryptic
Date Posted: 30-Jan-2011 at 10:55
Originally posted by Athena

The whole disagreement pushes us to consider what is good government, what are the rights of the people?  What is best for the world? 
And what are the rights of sovereign states and who determines what is best for the world.

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2011 at 18:55
No I would have preferred the USA entering the war right after France was beaten. Will I do think the UK would still be hear because the UK stopped the Germans without the USA.

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2011 at 19:32
Yes the USA has Britains oil interests at heart, like the suez or saudi arabia. Britain has enough oil the North Sea and the Falklands. The USA really stepped in when Britain left it's empire like Israel or Africa. The USA help the UK in no way what so ever.

The Falkland are British and the USA should back Britain up over them.

Posted By: red clay
Date Posted: 31-Jan-2011 at 09:29
Originally posted by mynoon

No I would have preferred the USA entering the war right after France was beaten. Will I do think the UK would still be hear because the UK stopped the Germans without the USA.

They did? How did they do this? You tell me when the britts stopped the Germans without help.  Was this before or after Dunkirk?  What about the 50 destroyers we gave the UK and the complete resupply of the British forces after they left everything they owned on the beaches at Dunkirk.  My friend, you need to do some heavy reading.  And you would do well to read histories that aren't written by anyone from the UK.  And then thank your stars for the thousands of Merchant seamen that lost their lives bringing supplies from the US just to keep you folks alive.  

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2011 at 09:38

Yes the USA has Britains oil interests at heart, like the suez or saudi arabia. Britain has enough oil the North Sea and the Falklands. The USA really stepped in when Britain left it's empire like Israel or Africa. The USA help the UK in no way what so ever.

The Falkland are British and the USA should back Britain up over them.

Afaik, The only assistance the British asked for in the Falklands was the use of the US base at Diego Garcia, which they recieved.  They were offered military aid, but declined, saying that they could handle things alone.  Which they did quite nicely.

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2011 at 15:21
Yes i know all about the USA giving the British empire 50 destoryers, under the cash and carry system, inwhich the USA gave any country in the Atlantic theatre in ww2 weapons or food. The USA could not give the Axes power supplies because the British empires navy was the Biggest and best in the world at that time. The British empire also had to pay 100% of the cost of building the war ships, so it was not the USA helping Britain but just business.

The British empire with about 400 other European pilots from. Poland, France and czech republic won the battle of Britain. The USA sent 7 pilots and 4 planes. Canada sent 130 pilots and more than 500 planes, which nation did more to save Britain. Also Canada sent Britain more food, ships and planes than the USA untill mid 1941.

I do think your the one who needs to do some heavy reading and to stop listening to American writers.

I will thank the canadians because they are the ones who really saved Britain and Europe if anybody did.

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2011 at 15:33
 Diego Garcia is owned by Britain we don't need to ask if we can use it. Yes the USA offered to re fuel British ship and we let you do that, the USA also offered to sent ops teams Britain refused. The USA did not offer and military manpower or weapons to help the UK. Also the USA stopped Britain from taking out the Argentine air bases on the mainland of Argentina. Thanks for the last bit, the war would have been easier with the American naval and air power.

Date Posted: 01-Feb-2011 at 09:20
The UK owns the Island, not the US Naval support facility.  You and I both know that the British wouldn't be able to just waltz in without US approval.

Your undoubtedly young.  You quite possibly haven't known anyone who was alive then.  Your reading a lot of revisionist bulls***.  You have a strong national pride, that's good.  However your hatred of the US[for whatever reasons] is clouding your judgment.
It's a given fact, if it hadn't been for the US and the USSR,  German would be the language of the UK today. 

-------------
Unknown.

Posted By: opuslola
Date Posted: 01-Feb-2011 at 16:48
"Mein Führer! I can walk!"

Do you hold the above movie as one of your favorites?

-------------
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/

Date Posted: 01-Feb-2011 at 18:24
You will also know that the British could kick the USA out of the air base of we wanted to. The USA having an air base on diego garcia is also an argument that, Argentina uses for them taking control of the Falklands. They say if the UK can kick 2000 or more people of diego garcia for the USA air base then they can move around 2000 people of the Falklands. I know what a load of brown bird Argentina talks hahaha.

It is also a know fact that without Britain the USA could not have helped the USSR or take back Europe bacause the Germans would have had the Atlantic. Also Without the British empire fighting in Asia the USA/China/Russia would have lost millions more men. 

Also I think that ww2 needed everybody and that the British empire/USA/USSR/China should get 25% of the glory for winning the war each. If even one of them was not in the would it would have been very hard to win.

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2011 at 16:23

You will also know that the British could kick the USA out of the air base of we wanted to. The USA having an air base on diego garcia is also an argument that, Argentina uses for them taking control of the Falklands. They say if the UK can kick 2000 or more people of diego garcia for the USA air base then they can move around 2000 people of the Falklands. I know what a load of brown bird Argentina talks hahaha.

It is also a know fact that without Britain the USA could not have helped the USSR or take back Europe bacause the Germans would have had the Atlantic. Also Without the British empire fighting in Asia the USA/China/Russia would have lost millions more men. 

Also I think that ww2 needed everybody and that the British empire/USA/USSR/China should get 25% of the glory for winning the war each. If even one of them was not in the would it would have been very hard to win.

People will pay more attention if you provide sources for your ideas.  And making the claims you are, it's almost mandatory.  You might want to search the archives, as this has been hashed over many times.
And BTW- US war planners had already gone on the assumption that the UK would be over run and therefore unusable as a base. The war would have been won without you.

-------------
Unknown.

Posted By: medenaywe
Date Posted: 02-Feb-2011 at 16:42
Yes,new projectiles strike you from thousands miles distance,trough the hole of your chimney or small toilet ventilation fun.Gadgets are all you needed for it.New software version of total war,US needs only!!!

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2011 at 17:52
Why are you trying to anoy and aggravate me, the so called claims I make are just the same as you claims, just you say that American won the war on it's own. I am saying that the USA could not have won without the British empire/Russia/China my view is fair and the right one your is wrong to all but American's. The USA may have had plans not to attack Europe from Britain but planning and doing are different things. Also the British empire had all the best place to attack Europe from and by the USA not helping they all could have been lost. I disagree the war could not have been won without the British empire/USA/Russia/China. Where are your sources for the thing you are saying. By the way saying the thing you and other American's say it just makes people hate you more.

I also think Russia goes on to much about it's part in ww2, because without the USA and Britain sending them weapons, oil and food they would have been crushed between Germany and Japan. Also most of the Germans who died on the eastern front, died because of the weather and the Russia camps. Russia also played both side they can't ever be forgiven for killing so many polish and not stopping the Germans sooner.

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2011 at 17:54

USA would need more than weapons to beat China, that a proven fact. Korea where 63,000 British fought.

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2011 at 18:41
Yes good old Korea! Here are the troop strengths per Wikpedia;

590,911 S. Korea

480,000 USA
63,000[3] GB
26,791[4] CA
17,000    AU

So, the combined forces of Great Britain including Canadians and Austrailians, totaled but 107,000! Great job, thanks a lot!

If Brit voters had not kicked out the real men, then it might well be that WW-II might not have happend! OH! I forgot; "Peace in our time!"

And the USA has taken over BP! Please do some investigation, it seems that BP was the company that took over a couple of large Amercian gasoline producers? Can you spell "Gulf Oil?"

Just keep things reasonable, please!

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2011 at 20:07

Britain could not but more men into the war because it was fighting for it's economic life at that time. Also Britain was fighting other wars like Mau Mau Uprising, Malayan Emergency and First Indochina War Britain also had to keep a large military to defened it's withdrawal from it's empire. The USA was also fighting in wars but not at the same level and the USA economy was doing much better. The USA had more men and most of the weapons so the USA by far did the most to stop China in that war. The reason i bring up the korean war is that many people say that the USA beat communism where as after ww2 Britain was the one stopping them from taking more land and nations over. 105,000 men is still alot and it's 105,000 less American's who could get killed.

I you know anything about British history post ww1 and to ww2 you will know that Churchill was a political outcast because of his military loses in ww1. Chamberlain in my mind is the worse PM in British history and if churchill had not been so bad in ww1 we may have stopped the war and done what he wanted. After ww2 Britain voted out churchill and got one of the best PMs we have ever had if not the best so we did the right thing. 

You do know the person who runs BP now was incharge of BP. USA. so it was his fault the rig low up. and I hope you American's will one day know how it's feel to have all you great companies taken over and your job go also and you can do nothing because you own so much money to that nation. O I forgot about China hahahahah.

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2011 at 22:52
Mynoon! Are you an E. Indian Brit?, or something similar? Your English sometimes betrays you!

Not to belittle your postings, but you do not come over as a "WASP", or even a Catholic one!

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 10:02

Why are you trying to anoy and aggravate me, the so called claims I make are just the same as you claims, just you say that American won the war on it's own. I am saying that the USA could not have won without the British empire/Russia/China my view is fair and the right one your is wrong to all but American's. The USA may have had plans not to attack Europe from Britain but planning and doing are different things. Also the British empire had all the best place to attack Europe from and by the USA not helping they all could have been lost. I disagree the war could not have been won without the British empire/USA/Russia/China. Where are your sources for the thing you are saying. By the way saying the thing you and other American's say it just makes people hate you more.

I also think Russia goes on to much about it's part in ww2, because without the USA and Britain sending them weapons, oil and food they would have been crushed between Germany and Japan. Also most of the Germans who died on the eastern front, died because of the weather and the Russia camps. Russia also played both side they can't ever be forgiven for killing so many polish and not stopping the Germans sooner.

Who said America could win the war by itself?  I sure didn't.  I said the war planners had assumed that the UK would be overrun. with that possibility in mind they went on as if the UK wasn't there.
The eventuality would be the war would be won without you.  It would have taken longer, but the complete mobilization of the US, Men weapons , wartime production, would not have reached it's max. until 1965.  I might point out at this time that by the end of the war, the British navy was no 2 to the US Navy. 
There are always people who cannot accept the fact that the US is what it is.  And there will always be people who, having had there collective butts pulled from the fire by the US military, will deny the fact that they were unable to do it alone. 
Regardless of your nationalistic pride, Britain did not win the War by herself.  Next time you go across the channel, make a stop at the Normandy Memorial.  Take a look at the thousands of white crosses.  Yes, there are British soldiers buried there, but about 1/2 as many as the US.

Germany- 320,000 killed wounded or missing.
US-           135,000 Killed wounded or missing.
UK-              65,000 Killed wounded or missing
Canada-    18,000  Killed wounded or missing.
    And this is just for D-Day.
Source-  Encyclopedia Britannica 

Britain had been engaged in the war for nearly 2 years before the US got involved militarily.  She had already taken a pounding from the air.  The excursions into Norway and France had severely weakened the British ground forces.  At the time, the only positive thing the Britts had going was the Royal Navy.
All other things aside, the expenditure of wealth is another aspect of war expenses.  Just the cost of the Manhattan project was more than the UK spent on the entire war. [In todays money the Manhattan project would have cost approx. 100 Billion]

If it had become necessary, the US and the USSR would have eventually won the war alone, it just would have taken longer.  

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 14:25
If you want to talk about military deaths in ww2 I will win.

USA 416,800
UK 383,600
British empire + UK 601,600

Non military deaths.

USA 1,700
UK 67,100
British empire + UK 2,384,900  

Total deaths

USA 418,500
UK 450,700
British empir + UK 2,986,500

As you can see the UK lost far more people as a % of it population and the British empire lost far more people. So the British empire payed far more of a price in ww2 than the USA in terms of lives lost.  Still China and Russia pay a far higher price for ww2 than the USA and British empire. We must not forget about China in ww2 as you and many others do.
My source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties  

Do you think the USA did the most to win ww2? if so you as a % you think that USA won ww2. To assum anything in war is bad planning, the USA knew that Canada, Australia, New zealand and other parts of the British empire would come and help the British stop the Germans. Also that there was free people of Europe who came to help Britain and thousands of men. Also the British had the best navy in the world at that time, the German navy was the weakest part of it's military so the British could not have just been taken fast like in France. We both know that the USA and Russia should have came into the war the hour after France was beaten. The fact is that ww2 could not have been won without the British empire, no matter what you say the British empire fought in every theatre in ww2 backing up the USA/Russia/China. Without the British navy and air force D day could not have happened for another year atleast and the Russia may have been beaten in that time. I know that the USA navy was bigger in the last 2 years of the war but the British empire still had more ships in Europe than the USA and thats what won the war in Europe and Asia Naval power the USA and British empire had the naval power and China and Russia the man power. I know that ww2 could not have been won without the USA but the USA did not save the world, 5 great powers did French empire/British Empire/USSA/China/USA. I have been to the ww1 grave yards and their is far more British than American's there.

The British even befor the USA came in were bombing Germany, even after the USA was in the war Britain was still getting bombed, when the USA air force had to stop bombing for 3 months because of your huge loses the British kept bombing. The British ground force were fighting in north African and other place, The British had enough men in Europe but there was not enough tanks to beat the Germans with thats what the USA gave the British Tanks. You do know that the total GDP of Britain at that time was 240 billion not including the rest of the British empire, the UK did not pass the debt on to it's empire something we get no credit for doing.  

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 14:44
I don't think you should become too secure or "smug" in your beliefs!

Perhaps you know very little about "War Debts" owed by GB to the USA?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4757181.stm

Sort of makes one want to cry?

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 15:08
I have read that befor. It still means that the UK did not pass on the debt to it's empire.

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 15:38
Is this the Empire you speak about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Location_of_the_BOTs.svg

Perhaps you should just hate the British Monarchy? You know all of those Germans who live in the palaces in England, etc.!

I think that they were originally from Hanover?

But, of course they later changed the name!

Some how the "House of Hanover" did not seem too popular during a few wars? But, we all know that German merely means "cousin!"

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 16:09
No your website shows the British overseas territories they all want to be ruled by Britain they are part of Britain. Well hanover was allied to Britain so they got the thrown. Holland/Scotland have all had the British thrown. don't worry those people have little power over our government.

The empire i am taking about is the one Britain had right after ww2.

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 16:50
You seem to have "thrown" me for a loop, in your last post!

Of course I understood you meant the Great Empire, that has been lost over the centuries, and especially since 1776, etc.! It seems that when it comes to the WW-II debt, it is only GB, and Holland who ever took the effort to repay it! But, what the hay!

You guys never paid the WW-I debt!, and then you blame us for not wanting to get involved in a war amongst "cousins!" Hell, the bloody Scots provided France its best and brightest in most all of the wars fought between England and France, etc.! And, England merely boxed in Wales and Ireland for centuries!

In WW-II, it seems that a lot of your most famous units were former "convicts" (Australia), slaves (Indians, and Africans), and other extreem nationalists like the Scots, and the Irish, etc.!

You mention the "Empire" as something to be proud of! I can think of very few things England did, during its Empire era, to be proud of!

In India, for example, England built a wall across the entire continent, in an effort to control the "Salt!", and the taxes derived thereof! The Roman English built a wall across its Northern border to isolate the Scots, they blockaded Ireland, etc., etc.!

Do you understand "B'wanna?", "Sahid?", "my lord?", etc.?

I am sure that the words of address, that I mentioned above including "B'wanna", and "Sahid", are movie terms that I learned early in life, and may not be either correct or proper! But, proper Englishmen did expect that those underlings that they ruled did address them in a "proper" manner!

Perhaps you can present me with some real examples? I just don't think that "Red-Coat" or "Limey", is respectful enough?

By the way, a part of my family actually fled Virgina because of the abusive rules of the Church of England, as well as the Crown!

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 17:58
Sorry throne.

If you know anything about British empire history you will know that the empire got bigger and better after the USA stole all that land. The Germans and then Russians all payed and so did France. Britain payed off it's debts just slow. British empire payed off the ww1 debt in 15 years. The USA came it to ww1 because they want that money back. Yes i know the Scotish helped the French thats why England started attacking Scotland, Wales is not a nation it was spilt in 2 England took out the Bottom part and then rest, Ireland war taken Because they poeple who owned Southern Wales moved and took most of Ireland.

So the desert rats were Indian slaves hahaha. The Scotish held the line so more men could get out of dunkirk, Irland did not help Britain in ww2.

The empire is something to be proud off it made 4 great nations USA/Canada/Australia/New Zealand. Spread Europe values all over the world the values of common law, democracy, land ownership. Also capitalisum, many new ways of killing disease and nw ways of growing things and building things. The British have give far more to the world than anyother empire or nation. Also all the bad things we did in Africa were their own leader fault and in north American France and Spain started it befor we did. And you do know that india attacked Britain and we fought back and won. Yes famines in India were made worse by the British killing 35 million people But British technology saved 80 million Indians. Yes Britain changed the India economy to make more money for Britain but it was their own fault they attacked Britain.

Thanks for calling me a red coat the army that made the biggest empire ever and a lime because we but limes in out ships so we could be at sea longer and made the best navy in the world at one point. So now i must call you yank or something like that you may thing but no it will call you. AMERICAN SCUM! 

Don't even try and say the British were really bad to American's because we both know it's bull. the American's were treated the same as any english man. but did we go and want independence no we stook with it and one day we got what we wanted you on the other hand still have not got want you wanted. infact you have became a new British empire. How does it fell to be part of the most powerfull nation on earth at the end of it power over everybody else.

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 18:07
The "End of our Power?"

Perhaps we should wait a few years?

Our empire was more benevolent than that of Britain! Unless one is an Islamists, then most people on this planet still feel that they owe a debt of gratitude to America!

Excuse me, that is unless one is less than age 35 or so! And, as such, totally ignorant, for the most part!

I am of course excluding you, no matter your age!

Regards,

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 19:16
I will wait and see if the EU takes it's rightfull place as the new hyperpower or if China is crushed by the USA and it's allies or if China out grows the USA and the Indians and Russians help China beat you. The USA could still but ownly if the EU is on it's side from the start.

I agree your empire was more benevolent than that of Britain but it's not anymore in the last 10 years the USA has overtaken Britain into 6th place on which nation has killed the most people directly or indirectly. Nobody owes a debt gratitude to the USA because you have used them for your own gain like the British did put you have give little back the British gave all they could.

I am not ignorant of the past I know we could not have won WW2 without the USA or taken down the USSR but in doing so you wrecked you political reputation all around the world. It's your own stupied fault that your empire is falling after just 20 years as the hyperpower. The main reason that you are falling is because you act like an empire but you want and say you are a republic make your minds up and you may not fall so far.

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2011 at 20:28
Mynoon, it doesn't help if our own leadership (Obama, et. al.) wants America to assume a third world status!

Perhaps the last elections will stem the tide of Socialism/Progressivism that fills the halls of the White House today?

Perhaps GB has already seen the future?

By the way, since the USA pays about 75% if the UN's budget, and gives away more food than any other ten nations combined, then you might want to reconsider your post?

Regards,

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2011 at 07:00
Just be clear the American people voted him in so it's your own fault, he's worse than Bush.

European socialisum can work Germany and France prove that and the USA would work better under that system and with a lower jail population. Also the USA needs more men in it's army so send the people who are in jail to afghanistan.

Yes labour were crap for Britain they made the red tape worse and followed the USA into every war. But we now have a much better conservative goverment who will sort it out.

Now i know why the UN is crap because the USA controls it, The EU gives more aid to the world than the USA, fact so the USA does not give the most food aid. With this new infomation i can't  reconsider my last post

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2011 at 16:44
But, the numbers you use above are official Government programs, and do not include private giving by the USA citizens, etc.! If these are considered, and they dwarf private contributions by other nations citizens, then there are some new numbers!

"Individual/private donations may be targeted in many ways. However, even though the charts above do show US aid to be poor (in percentage terms) compared to the rest, the generosity of the American people is far more impressive than their government. Private aid/donation typically through the charity of individual people and organizations can be weighted to certain interests and areas. Nonetheless, it is interesting to note for example, per latest estimates, Americans privately give at least $34 billion overseas—more than twice the US official foreign aid of $15 billion at that time:

•International giving by US foundations: $1.5 billion per year
•Charitable giving by US businesses: $2.8 billion annually
•American NGOs: $6.6 billion in grants, goods and volunteers.
•Religious overseas ministries: $3.4 billion, including health care, literacy training, relief and development.
•US colleges scholarships to foreign students: $1.3 billion
•Personal remittances from the US to developing countries: $18 billion in 2000
•Source: Dr. Carol Adelman, Aid and Comfort, Tech Central Station, 21 August 2002."

Add the 12B-14B in official governmental USA aid, to the (at least) 34 B, given by the above private American institutions, and the total rises to about 47 Billion Dollars US!

I would doubt that figures anyway near that can be contrived from the EU?

Of maybe you have the figures to dispute it?

Regards,

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2011 at 17:49
The EU member states give around 70,500,000,000 Billion + 8 billion from the EU. My source is http://www.globalissues.org/article/35/foreign-aid-development-assistance - http://www.globalissues.org/article/35/foreign-aid-development-assistance   and my numbers are for 2009.

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2011 at 19:53

The EU member states give around 70,500,000,000 Billion + 8 billion from the EU. My source is http://www.globalissues.org/article/35/foreign-aid-development-assistance - http://www.globalissues.org/article/35/foreign-aid-development-assistance   and my numbers are for 2009.

Well mynoon, I surveyed the site you gave, and I did not see the figures you showed above, but I am not saying they do not exist within this large report!

However, I did find this which might well be an update from my previous post?

"The Center for Global Prosperity, from the Hudson Institute, (whose director is Adelman) published its first Index of Global Philanthropy in 2006, which contained updated numbers from those stated above. The total of US private giving, since Adelman’s previous report, had increased to a massive $71 billion in 2004. Page 16 of their report breaks it down as follows:

•International giving by US foundations: $3.4 billion
•Charitable giving by US businesses: $4.9 billion
•American NGOs: $9.7
•Religious overseas ministries: $4.5
•US colleges scholarships to foreign students: $1.7 billion
•Personal remittances from the US to developing countries: $47 billion.
While the majority of the increase was personal remittances ($18 bn in 2000 to $47 bn in 2004), other areas have also seen increases."

So, if the above figures are OK with you, which they should be since you gave me the sites address, then it seems just "Private giving", by the USA totaled "a massive $71 billion in 2004."

It seems that you quoted but $70.5 billion for the total of the aid given by the EU?, plus an additional $8.0 billion for a total of $78.5 billion!

Please correct me if I am not correct?

Thus, if we consider that offical US governmental AID, still totaled somewhere near the $13.0 billion mark, then the total aid given by the USA would total about $84.0 billion in 2004!

Which just happens to be a tad more than the $78.5 billion reported as credited to the EU nations and private organizations!

Perhaps I am still correct?

Regards,

-------------

Posted By: Prodigal
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2011 at 12:59
Actually the US provided quite a bit of Aid to the UK in the first Falkland war. Britian could not have projected power with out US logistical support. One of the biggest ways the US helped was to provide ordnance to be exact 7.62 bullets for Machine guns. The UK was sorley short of bullets and other small arms to carry on any sort of war. The US also provided fuel and other litoral support.

My next question is how come when the EU does something well GB is all ready to part of it, but when they are not they are quick to point out they are not in the monetary union.

BTW in terms of support for the UN and F Aid the US is the greatest single contribe..The EU is not a nation so it is not accurate to use combined EU figures. If you want to talk apples to apples comapre the US (a single sov nation) to France or germany (a single sov nation). Once again last I knew the EU was not a country but an Economic Union.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2011 at 19:16
Ok then the USA may give more money but not more food or material aid. The EU gives to places the USA can't like north Korea/Iran. Also alot of the USA governments aid goes to the militaries of other nation. It's about where the aid goes not how much you send. That's why i did not really want to argue with you about who gives the most aid. You can't calculate how effective the aid has been, over history the USA and UK have given the most aid which do you think has been more effective, see you can't decide.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2011 at 20:07
Do you even know when the first falklands war was. It was in 1914 when the Germans tryed to take the Falkland, there was 2 naval battles the Germans won the first battle sinking 0 british ships, the second battle the British won sinking or capturing 6 German ship out of 8. The USA did not help Britain in the first Falklands war. 

UK in the second Falklands war did not need bullets, but helicopters did the USA send them no, I am not even sure of we got bullets from the USA. I know the USA refueled UK ships but it was our fuel and we had to pay the USA $500,000 for their help. Also the UK did need help with logistics but we had no money to pay the USA with so you did not help the UK apart from the refueling. 

When the UK government says it's happy with the EU when the EU is doing or not happy when it's doing bad. It's just politics, like on the USA news if the war in afghanistan is going well they say USA troops won, But if is going bad they say ISAF troops lost. 

The EU gives aid as a government would. Also the EU is a political union not an economic one.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2011 at 21:23
As a matter of fact, I did not know anything at all worthwile concerning any German V. England warfare concerning any mostly worthless islands in the S. Atlantic!

And, did the defence or loss of these poor islands, do anything that affected the end of WW-!?

And, I really think that you really do not understand the intelligence sent from the USA to GB, did not help you defend these "sheep heards" from the Argentine!

Now, as to the importance of these piss-ant islands in todays world, it is, and will be always of little importance!

In fact, the UK's defense of this area was more a matter of "pride" than of any significance in the worlds opinion, or political environment, etc.!

Pray tell if you know more of the significance of both of these encounters as they affected or effected the reast of history?

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2011 at 14:14

The EU gives aid as a government would. Also the EU is a political union not an economic one.

Not Economic??? We can't discuss this anymore. When you make statements like this I just lose the ability to give you any credibilty at all. There is a political aspect to the EU but it is first and formost an economic union

From the EU website:

The Treaty on European Union:

The Union shall set itself the following objectives:

• to promote economic and social progress and a high level of employment and to achieve balanced and sustainable development, in particular through the creation of an area without internal frontiers, through the strengthening of economic and social cohesion and through the establishment of economic and monetary union, ultimately including a single currency in accordance with the provisions of this Treaty,
  • to assert its identity on the international scene, in particular through the implementation of a common foreign and security policy including the progressive framing of a common defence policy, which might lead to a common defence, in accordance with the provisions of Article 17,
  • to strengthen the protection of the rights and interests of the nationals of its Member States through the introduction of a citizenship of the Union ,
  • to maintain and develop the Union as an area of freedom, security and justice, in which the free movement of persons is assured in conjunction with appropriate measures with respect to external border controls, asylum, immigration and the prevention and combating of crime,
  • to maintain in full the acquis communautaire and build on it with a view to considering to what extent the policies and forms of cooperation introduced by this Treaty may need to be revised with the aim of ensuring the effectiveness of the mechanisms and the institutions of the Community.
  • The objectives of the Union shall be achieved as provided in this Treaty and in accordance with the conditions and the timetable set out therein while respecting the principle of subsidiarity as defined in Article 5 of the Treaty establishing the European Community.
Article 2 – The Treaty establishing the European Community
 The Community shall have as its task, by establishing a common market and an economic and monetary union and by implementing common policies or activities referred to in Articles 3 and 4, to promote throughout the Community a harmonious, balanced and sustainable development of economic activities, a high level of employment and of social protection, equality between men and women, sustainable and non-inflationary growth, a high degree of competitiveness and convergence of economic performance, a high level of protection and improvement of the quality of the environment, the raising of the standard of living and quality of life, and economic and social cohesion and solidarity among Member States.

Remarks on the Articles: 

Non-inflationary growth means that rises in the level of wages and prices must not occur at the expense of a fall in real purchasing power.

Convergence of economic performance means that the EU must endeavour to achieve consistency between the economic performances of the Member States

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2011 at 14:40

By contrast he strongly praises US Defence Secretary Caspar Weinberger and the Pengtagon.  "Weinberger was splendid from the outset.  Ignoring the jealousies and rivalries in Washington, he ordered his staff to give maximum and urgent support to the British.  We needed additional fuel supplies in Ascension, which the Americans supplied with their tankers.  Valuable weapons, in particular the Sidewinder air-to-air missiles, supplemented and upgraded the capability of the Harriers, and a host of other incremental stores were all forthcoming without cost ever being mentioned."

British Defence Secretary Sir John Nott

BTW Weinberger was knighted because of:
  • Honorary /wiki/Order_of_the_British_Empire - Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire in 1988, awarded in recognition for an "outstanding and invaluable" contribution to military cooperation between the /wiki/UK - UK and the US, particularly during the /wiki/Falklands_War - Falklands War of 1982.
  • The sophisticated weaponry supplied by the Pentagon, such as the Sidewinder air-to-air missile and the Stinger man-portable surface-to-air missile, helped to minimize British casualties. Especially crucial was US intelligence. That support was all the more surprising as it constituted a near-complete reversal of the centuries-old Monroe Doctrine demarcating the western hemisphere as an entirely American preserve.

The United States provided everything except for manpower. The American base at Ascension Island (ironically, leased from the British) was now the closest one to the combat zone, albeit still 3,800 miles away. Weinberger took steps to cut through the “infamous” Pentagon bureaucracy and deliver materiel to the British as quickly as possible, reducing the usual procurement time of six weeks to about twenty-four hours, with some even arriving within six hours of the initial request. He gives an account of the weapons and equipment being delivered:

The first requests were for missiles, particularly our Sidewinders, the AIM 9-L air-to-air missiles, with which the British wreaked such havoc on the Argentines, and aircraft fuel. But initially we had to, and did, add enormously to the facilities at Ascension to receive and deliver the fuel and other supplies to the British task forces’ ships and planes (we also sold them twelve of our F-4 fighter planes at a “bargain basement” price after the war, in order to allow the British to keep a Phantom squadron on the Falklands). http://automaticballpoint.com/2010/05/07/reagan-thatcher-and-the-tilt/#_ftn14 - [14]

The Sidewinders certainly were state-of-the-art; as one of the first all-aspect air-to-air missiles in the world, it allowed RAF pilots to shoot down Argentine planes from any angle in the sky. Between 1 May and 23 June, 27 Sidewinders were launched. 24 hit their targets. http://automaticballpoint.com/2010/05/07/reagan-thatcher-and-the-tilt/#_ftn15 - [15] No longer were the British confined to trailing behind enemy fighters.

As for the overall strategic picture, Anderson invokes the grim specter of a South Atlantic winter. “Without American logistic support, most of which was channeled through Ascension Island, the operation would have taken much longer, and would undoubtedly have been compromised by the onset of the southern winter.” Getting to Ascension in the first place would have been impossible without the 12.5 million gallons of aviation fuel provided by the Pentagon. http://automaticballpoint.com/2010/05/07/reagan-thatcher-and-the-tilt/#_ftn16 - [16] Between the logistic, aviation, and intelligence requirements of British forces, the case is clearly weighted towards a decisive American contribution. It was significant in the sense that without the support, the British effort would have taken far longer, suffered many more casualties, and possibly affected Prime Minister Thatcher’s government in the UK general election.

Lets follow this up from AN address from the Iron Lady herself:

Margaret Thatcher’s address to the Conservative Party in October 1982.

But regardless of the consequences – or rather, because of them – the American tilt towards supporting Great Britain in the Falklands War came as a shock to Britain, the OAS, and indeed most of the world. The materiel, bases, and intelligence provided were invaluable in bringing the war to a swift end without an excess of casualties. The American position in the Falklands was most certainly significant, and to a large extent surprising. But perhaps the most startling aspect of this is that the support should have come as a surprise to anyone. It was just the newest incarnation of the 200 year-old special relationship.

http://automaticballpoint.com/2010/05/07/reagan-thatcher-and-the-tilt/ - Reagan, Thatcher, and the ‘Tilt’ May 7, 2010

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2011 at 21:58
    Thanks to our "Prodigal", Son!!!

Sort of hits one in the bollocks does it not?

Regards,

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2011 at 09:42
    I was just thinking, how about this being the other way around.  Like, when is the UK going to appoligize for burning Washington DC?  The Whitehouse etc.  Let's examine why the US should hate Britain. 

-------------
    Unknown.

Posted By: Van_Möck
    Date Posted: 08-Feb-2011 at 11:30
    Maybe it helps some of you see these matters in a more relaxed way if I say that if I, as a (half-)German, were to adjust my personal animosities to my countries history, I would be busy all day.
    LOL 

Posted By: p,c,ma
    Date Posted: 08-Feb-2011 at 21:32
    This is all a pointless argument. Almost all Americans were originally British, but as the British decided to treat them like they weren't British they revolted. So in truth everyones the bad guy.
    As to WWII without the Americans there would be no Britians, and if it wasn't for the Britians the Americans would have been terribly outflanked and would have been beat.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 08:42
    Originally posted by p,c,ma

This is all a pointless argument. Almost all Americans were originally British, but as the British decided to treat them like they weren't British they revolted. So in truth everyones the bad guy.
    As to WWII without the Americans there would be no Britians, and if it wasn't for the Britians the Americans would have been terribly outflanked and would have been beat.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

As I previously stated, the war planners at the time had already assumed that Britain would be overrun.  Plans were formulated on that basis.  The war would have been won without the Britts.  So tell me, how would the US have been "outflanked".
    And do you have sources?

-------------
    Unknown.

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 13:37

Control of oil supplies, as well as territory, in North Africa was only protected by the bravery and valor shown by the British at El Alemein.

It could easily be argued that the charge of the soldiers there was among the bravest in WWII if not the bravest.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 15:35
    Interestingly Hunter, it seems that England may have only avoided a German invasion thru the use of "trickery!"

You may or may not know that hundreds of plywood tanks, aircrart and cannon were stratigically placed around the sea coast of the island, to fool German observers!

From the air, England looked like "Fortress Britain!" Apparently the trickery actually worked, at least long enough for the USA to enter the war, and then the English soon had the ability to place real cannons, etc., along the coastline!

Regards,

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 22:39

The British don't have to appoligize for the burning of Washington DC because the USA started the war, if your not willing to have bad things happen to your nation then don't start wars.

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 22:46
    Yes the British used fake plywood weapons to fool the Germans into not attacking Britain, but the British also did the same thing befor invasion of France so the Germans did not know where to but there troops and tanks.

Posted By: Van_Möck
    Date Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 08:28

Yes the British used fake plywood weapons to fool the Germans into not attacking Britain, but the British also did the same thing befor invasion of France so the Germans did not know where to but there troops and tanks.

Hmm and according to the logic of this thread I guess it is now my turn to blame you personally for tricking our fine soldiers into sparing your country? You never actually apologised yourself for what those men did two or more generations ago, to most of whom you probably have no connection whatsoever... Shocked

But since I'm quite new to this forum I better avoid scaring people by assuming the position of national socialist germany LOL

As I tried to express with my first post, this line of argumentation is completely absurd. I could even start a personal quarrel with the polish members of this forum for offering that fierce a resistance to our Wehrmacht in world war two, as if it was their responsibility.

This thread will lead to nowhere and the only result will be people blaming each other for utterly unrelated events of the past.

I could develop a line of argumentation based on the fact that all non-africans happen to carry a small amount of neanderthal genes, and take their extinction by (possible) fault of homo sapiens personally, to argue from a victim-position.

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 08:45

The British don't have to appoligize for the burning of Washington DC because the USA started the war, if your not willing to have bad things happen to your nation then don't start wars.

No, we didn't start the war.  However, we did finish it.Big smile New Orleans is a wonderful place to visit.

Causes of the war of 1812.Ongoing impressment of American sailors into service on British Navy ships, an insulting breach of American sovereignty; Britain's navy "violating the rights and the peace of our coasts";
    Britain's blockade of U.S. ports ("our commerce has been plundered in every sea");
    Britain's refusal to repeal its Order-In-Council forbidding neutral countries to trade with European countries, and the British Navy's enforcement of this order;
    Britain's incitement of Native Americans (conventionally referred to as "savages") to violence against the Americans.

-------------
    Unknown.

Date Posted: 11-Feb-2011 at 19:53
    I would think that anyone tending to dispute the words of RedClay above, might have a mountain of evidence to over come?

Thanks, red!

Regards

Actually in reality, the war was offically over before the Battle of New Orleans, which was not really fought in the City!

But, you all know just how bad our postal system is today?

-------------

Posted By: unclefred
    Date Posted: 15-Feb-2011 at 22:30
    I hate the British because of their horrible food. And the men like to dress like women on TV.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 00:22
    I can tell you that British food is the best in the world. and have you seen crocodile Dundee. I hate USA because they broke the British empire.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 07:27
    We did not.Britian lost its own empire.
    So first of all you quit blaming others for your mistakes.
    Second of all you talk for Britian something you have no right to do.
    You can't just randomly start talking for all British against all Americans.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 08:49

I can tell you that British food is the best in the world. and that have you seen crocodile Dundee. I hate USA because they broke the British empire.

Mynoon, I can give you a lot of room on almost everything you've said to date, except for the food.  Both of my maternal grandparents were immigrants from the UK, and they put some of the worst god-awful things in their mouths.  My Grandmother was a wonderfully spooky old Scots woman who, in her mind anyway, was a wonderful cook.  She well might have been, I don't know for sure as I couldn't eat most of her fare.
    And as for the UK in general, how the hell can someone take a beautiful piece of steak, and boil it.

Additional-  There isn't anyone in the entire Commonwealth that knows how to cook peas without turning them into acceptable grapeshot.

-------------
    Unknown.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 10:08
    It is for sure that there seems to not exist any respected resturant in the world that advertises "Great English Cooking!" as a part of its marquee or menue!! (note that I used the feminine form of the word "menue", so to remind red-clay of his grandmother's cooking!)

Perhaps, if Mynoon is correct, he should open up just such a place in Paris, or Rome, or New York, etc.? I am sure that the lines to get a seat there would stretch for "inches!!"

Regards,

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 10:18
    Oh! Above mynoon mentioned Crocodile Dundee! Yep, a couple of very funny movies!

But have you seen Steve Irwin lately?

Regards,

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 12:08
    Well the USA waited to join ww2, so Britain would be crushed by Germany and bust after ww2, it worked. The USA leader at the time was the guy who could not walk and needed a wheelchair. He said to Chruchill I must wait to join the war, so my nation can get more power after the war. So he knew that after the war Britain would be the only free nation that could stand upto the USA that's why the USA waited. I blame Britain France and Russia for not stopping the Germans befor ww2 not the USA. But I do blame the USA for the slow economic recovery in Britain and France after the war, you gave more to Japan, then you did to Britain and France after the war. Also the USA takes all the credit for rebuilding Germany but Britain and France both has sectors and help with the rebuilding, which means that the USA also gave more money to Germany than to Britain after the war. Also there is the loan that the USA gave Britain after the war for this small loan Britain was forced to back the USA over the reserve currency and over Israel both things would not have been done if the USA had not given Britain that loan. I know I don't speak for all 84 million British people but most of them know nothing about history or politics and just know the USA by singers or actors. they have no right to say that every British person likes the USA when many don't.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 12:32
    You haven't been to one of the best restaurants or tryed my grandmothers cooking. the scotish can't cook fact.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 12:34
    A restaurants in Britain was voted the best in the world just 2 years ago. The USA food is really good not.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 15:55
    So, an eating establishment in GB, was voted "the best in the world 2 years ago!" Did they serve traditional British food? I would guess that it did not? And, I would bet quite a great deal of money on my guess!

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 17:43
    No they served modern British food

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2011 at 18:07
    Please name the establishment, and the definition of "Modern British food?"

After all, we are always looking for a good place to eat?

But, even sources are a part of it!

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 00:15
    Spam, spam ,pork and beans, sausauge and spam, pork and beans and spam, spam, sausage and spam. 

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 08:05
    Originally posted by unclefred

Spam, spam ,pork and beans, sausauge and spam, pork and beans and spam, spam, sausage and spam. 

[In his best falsetto Monty Python]  But I don't like spam.

-------------
    Unknown.

Posted By: bogbrush
    Date Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 09:06
    A British Resturant voted best in world?  It's possible, if they fly the food in from New York City.Big smile

I live in the UK off and on.  I do a lot of home cooking.  It's either that or starve.

Posted By: bogbrush
    Date Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 12:41

Well the USA waited to join ww2, so Britain would be crushed by Germany and bust after ww2, it worked. The USA leader at the time was the guy who could not walk and needed a wheelchair. He said to Chruchill I must wait to join the war, so my nation can get more power after the war. So he knew that after the war Britain would be the only free nation that could stand upto the USA that's why the USA waited. I blame Britain France and Russia for not stopping the Germans befor ww2 not the USA. But I do blame the USA for the slow economic recovery in Britain and France after the war, you gave more to Japan, then you did to Britain and France after the war. Also the USA takes all the credit for rebuilding Germany but Britain and France both has sectors and help with the rebuilding, which means that the USA also gave more money to Germany than to Britain after the war. Also there is the loan that the USA gave Britain after the war for this small loan Britain was forced to back the USA over the reserve currency and over Israel both things would not have been done if the USA had not given Britain that loan. I know I don't speak for all 84 million British people but most of them know nothing about history or politics and just know the USA by singers or actors. they have no right to say that every British person likes the USA when many don't.

You must be a 12 year old, and an illiterate one at that.  Most 12 year olds I know of, know that "the guy in the wheelchair" was Franklin D Roosevelt.
    The rest of it is just childish drabble, nonsense.   Wishful thinking by a nationalist nutcase.
    Why don't you stop bothering the people who really do know history and go clean up your room like your mum wants.

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 13:44
    Actually the restaurant might well specialize in E. Indian food, or Iranian fare, or Arabic, etc.? Maybe even N. African, or Nigerian, etc.?

OK, here are the possibilities;

http://www.toprestaurants.com/london.htm

Regards,

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 17:50
    So there are good things about the Muslim  migration to GB!

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 19:33
    "To everything, thing, thing, there is a season.."etc.

Regards Unk!

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 19:41
    I know he was F.D.R. I called him the guy in the wheelchair because I hate him. What F.D.R. said is not wishful thinking the documentary World at war said he said those words, about letting Britain die so the USA would have more power after the war.

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2011 at 19:47
    Mynoon, as a famous American news-man used to say every week-day afternoon; "And, that's the way it is...etc."

Do you also know this man who was at one time called "the most trusted man in America?"

I also despise him, as well as FDR!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/despise

Regards,

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 10:15
    You despised Walter Crumbcake??!?  That's un American!!!  Wink

FDR was the best friend the UK had.  He jepordized his entire presidency to assist Churchill.  To the point of facing impeachment if he was called down by the Congress.

Mynoon, someone is feeding you a bunch of BS.  Get your hands on a history of the early stages of WW2 written on a Uni level.

-------------
    Unknown.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 10:18
    Originally posted by opuslola

"To everything, thing, thing, there is a season.."etc.

Regards Unk!

I think it goes- To everything, turn, turn. 

-------------
    Unknown.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 10:34
    Mynoon,  [isn't that the title of a popular British Soap opera?]  What follows is History.  Facts supported by Documents, not hearsay. 

The source for this is the National Archives-

Teaching With Documents:
    Documents Related to Churchill and FDR

Background

A close friendship and the excellent working relations that developed between U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill were crucial in the establishment of a unified effort to deal with the Axis powers. This working relationship was highlighted by many joint appearances and agreements that not only addressed the immediate needs of the Allies but also the planning for a successful peace following victory.

In late December 1941, shortly after entry of the United States into World War II, Churchill met in Washington, D.C., with Roosevelt in what became known as the First Washington Conference, code name "Arcadia." The conference placed first priority on the Atlantic theater and the defeat of Germany and Italy. On December 24, 1941, Roosevelt and Churchill delivered Christmas greetings to the nation and the world from the South Portico of the White House during the lighting of the National Community Christmas Tree. FDR closed his short message with the following passage, "And so I am asking my associate, [and] my old and good friend, to say a word to the people of America, old and young, tonight, -- Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain." These words clearly describe the relationship that these two leaders of the "Free World" had struck.

FDR had begun the long-term correspondence that developed into a close working friendship with Winston Churchill in early 1940 while Churchill was still first lord of the admiralty. The initial interaction was to encourage a neutral America to take a more active anti-Axis role.

In July 1940 newly elected Prime Minister Churchill requested help from FDR, after Britain had sustained the loss of 11 destroyers to the German Navy over a 10-day period. Roosevelt responded by exchanging 50 destroyers for 99-year leases on British bases in the Caribbean and Newfoundland. A major foreign policy debate erupted over whether the United States should aid Great Britain or maintain strict neutrality.

In the 1940 presidental election campaign Roosevelt promised to keep America out of the war. He stated, "I have said this before, but I shall say it again and again and again; your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars." Nevertheless, FDR wanted to support Britain and believed the United States should serve as a "great arsenal of democracy." Churchill pleaded "Give us the tools and we'll finish the job." In January 1941, following up on his campaign pledge and the prime minister's appeal for arms, Roosevelt proposed to Congress a new military aid bill.

The plan was to "lend-lease or otherwise dispose of arms" and other supplies needed by any country whose security was vital to the defense of the United States. This Lend-Lease Act, proposed by FDR in January 1941 and passed by Congress in March, went a long way toward solving the concerns of both Great Britain's desperate need for supplies and America's desire to appear neutral. Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee during the debate over lend-lease, "We are buying . . . not lending. We are buying our own security while we prepare. By our delay during the past six years, while Germany was preparing, we find ourselves unprepared and unarmed, facing a thoroughly prepared and armed potential enemy."

In August 1941, Roosevelt and Churchill met for the first of nine face-to-face conferences ( http://www.archives.gov/global-pages/exit.html?link=http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/ww2con95.html - http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/ww2con95.html ) during the war. The four-day meeting aboard a ship anchored off the coast of Newfoundland at Argentia Bay was devoted to an agreement on war aims and a vision for the future. The document created at this meeting was the http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/fdr-churchill/images/atlantic-charter.gif - The Atlantic Charter , an agreement on war aims between besieged Great Britain and the neutral United States. The charter set forth the concepts of self-determination, end to colonialism, freedom of the seas, and the improvement of living and working conditions for all people. Many of the ideas were similar to those proposed by Wilson's http://www.archives.gov/global-pages/exit.html?link=http://history.acusd.edu/gen/text/ww1/fourteenpoints.html - Fourteen Points , but not accepted by our allies at the Versailles Conference at the close of World War I.

From 1941 when they first met until FDR's death in 1945, Roosevelt and Churchill sustained a close personal and professional relationship. Playwright Robert Sherwood later wrote, "It would be an exaggeration to say that Roosevelt and Churchill became chums at this conference. . . . They established an easy intimacy, a joking informality and moratorium on pomposity and cant, -- and also a degree of frankness in intercourse which, if not quite complete, was remarkably close to it." Roosevelt cabled Churchill after the meeting, "It is fun to be in the same decade with you." Churchill later wrote, "I felt I was in contact with a very great man who was also a warm-hearted friend and the foremost champion of the high causes which we served."

Two of the documents featured in this lesson, the typewritten drafts of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Winston Churchill's Christmas Eve greeting from the White House in Washington, D.C., on December 24, 1941, and the remarks of the president and Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands are housed at the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library in Hyde Park, NY.

-------------
    Unknown.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 12:18
    The fact remains that when Britain was in it's greatest hour of need the USA did little to help. F.D.R. did not want to help Britain thats why he went to Canada to ask them if they would not go to war to help Britain and just think about defending north America. The Canadians said no they will help Britain and so they did, the USA did alot to take back western Europe and those nations owe the USA that but Britain and it's empire, apart for Australia owe the USA nothing. The other fact is that the USA people did not want to help Britain that's far worse than just 1 man say we can't help them.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 12:26
    My facts are from documentaries an books by Chruchill and the home office they are not in any archives.

Chruchill and F.D.R. did not have a close friendship we all the what F.D.R. was saying about Chruchill and Britain behind his back. to the Russians.

Posted By: Arab
    Date Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 16:02

The fact remains that when Britain was in it's greatest hour of need the USA did little to help. F.D.R. did not want to help Britain thats why he went to Canada to ask them if they would not go to war to help Britain and just think about defending north America. The Canadians said no they will help Britain and so the did, the USA did alot to take back western Europe and those nation own the USA that but Britain and it's empire, apart for Australia own the USA nothing. The other fact is that the USA people did not want to help Britain that's far worse than just 1 man say we can't help them.

What exactly is your point? Okay, so Britain doesn't owe the USA anything. So what? Nobody attacked Britain on the forums. WW2 is over. Why the hostility?

I do agree that FDR treated Churchill very badly though.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2011 at 21:07
    My point is the title of this thread that all British people should hate the USA, have a right to because of what the USA has done to undermine Britain over the last 70 year. I am replying to the American's that say they saved Britain in WW1 and WW2. I hate the USA because of WW2, they used the war so they could get more power after it so did the USSR I hate both of them in WW2, in the 30 years after the war the USA used it's power to crush the old British and French empires not so the peoples of the them would have freedom and better lives but so no wetern power could stop the USA. Thanks for agreeing with me about how the USA treated Britain in WW2.

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 00:53
    Why did the decaying husk of imperialist arrogance  that was Britain deserve any better? 

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 01:09
    Britain did not deserve better, but it's empire did if they USA had given Britain the money it wanted the killing, when it left it's empire would have been much less. There is still atleast 5 empires left in the world than the empires still have most of the power.

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 09:37

My facts are from documentaries an books by Chruchill and the home office they are not in any archives.

Chruchill and F.D.R. did not have a close friendship we all the what F.D.R. was saying about Chruchill and Britain behind his back. to the Russians.

You are going against known facts.  It's your responsibility to provide sources.  Verifiable facts from reputable peer reviewed sources.  I have provided mine, now it's your turn.  You can't just mumble some ideas and then pass them off as fact.  Or as we say in the states, "put up or shut up".

-------------
    Unknown.

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2011 at 13:26
    After further and due consideration, I agree that this thread is going in circles.  Closed

-------------
    Unknown.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com