Print Page | Close Window

The most oppressed nation in the Middle East

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mesopotamia, Near East and Greater Iran
Forum Discription: Babylon, Egypt, Persia and other civilizations of the Near East from ancient times to 600s AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28429
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 16:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The most oppressed nation in the Middle East
Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Subject: The most oppressed nation in the Middle East
Date Posted: 26-May-2010 at 01:40
I myself think Jews, they were probably the only nation in this region who had to leave their own land several times and still fight for it.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Shield-of-Dardania
Date Posted: 26-May-2010 at 01:54
Uh uh. I'll pass, I think.Approve

-------------
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.

Posted By: Ince
Date Posted: 26-May-2010 at 08:15
I am not sure, I would say Kurds but the Kurds did not truly be opressed until the Safavids started their terror, which was a few hundred years ago.  But Jews have been opressed much longer. 

-------------

Posted By: Azadi
Date Posted: 26-May-2010 at 08:23
I would say Beluchis to be honest, but Jews and Kurds are close second.

-------------

Posted By: Pytheus
Date Posted: 26-May-2010 at 15:48
Where are the Saudis.

If you want a country that epitomises oppression.

Posted By: DreamWeaver
Date Posted: 26-May-2010 at 15:53
surely Saudi's are Arabs. Though yes I suppose the poll doesnt neccessarily cater for the concept of a ruling elite of the people oppressing the others.

-------------

Posted By: balochii
Date Posted: 26-May-2010 at 18:42
Baluchis are part of middle east? anyways yeah we are oppressed by everyone.

Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 10:31
Originally posted by Ince

I am not sure, I would say Kurds but the Kurds did not truly be opressed until the Safavids started their terror, which was a few hundred years ago.  But Jews have been opressed much longer. 

Well said, today I read an interesting article about it: http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/opinion/columnists/x550154325/May-In-Kurdistan-empathy-for-Israel-and-Jews - May: In Kurdistan, empathy for Israel and Jews

By Clifford May/Syndicated columnist
http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/ - GHS
Posted May 27, 2010 @ 08:16 AM

HALABJA, Iraq - Twenty-two years ago, in this dusty town hard up against the mountainous border with Iran, Saddam Hussein's military used chemical weapons to murder 5,000 Kurdish men, women and children.

The goal of Operation Anfal was genocide. At least 150,000 Kurds were slaughtered, many having first been herded into concentration camps where mass executions were conducted. More than a million Kurds were driven from their homes.

The result of this experience: Kurds see Americans as allies and also have empathy for Israelis and Jews. It makes sense when you think about it: Like Kurds, Jews are an ancient Middle Eastern people. Like Kurds, Jews have been targeted for genocide. Like Kurds, Israelis face an uncertain future among neighbors who range from merely hostile to openly exterminationist.

-------------

Posted By: TheGreatSimba
Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 11:01
All of them. There is no single "most oppressed" people in the world, that is a myth. Every ethnicity listed has suffered just as much as the others through the course of history. Heck, the people listed are the lucky ones, they've survived to this day, there are many ethnic groups that have been completely destroyed (why doesnt anyone think of the Native American tribes, if anything, they should get everyones vote for the most oppressed, they were wiped out in less than a couple hundred years).

But as it goes, those who market the suffering of their people the best seem to come out on top.

-------------
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.

Posted By: Ariapars
Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 12:21

I guess,most oppressed are Jews if we talk long term,modern days,it's gotta be us iranians

Peace!

I'm new by the way,Hello to All

Posted By: Ariapars
Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 12:27
Immortal Guard!like thatSmile

Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 12:36
Originally posted by balochii

Baluchis are part of middle east? anyways yeah we are oppressed by everyone.
Does it mean that you don't know a large number of Baluchis live in Iran (about 1.5 million), Oman (about 0.5 million) and some other countries in the Middle East from the ancient times? and Baluchi is a Northwestern Iranian language? As you read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baloch_people - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baloch_people  Daptar Shaar ("Chronicle of Genealogies") suggests that the Baloch were Shia Muslims, who migrated from Halab (modern-day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo - Aleppo ), Syria, to Bampur in Seistan, Iran, and subsequently to Makran and other parts of Pakistani Balochistan.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 12:56
On what basis do you guys think the Jews are the most oppressed peoples?

-------------
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.

Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 13:00
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

All of them. There is no single "most oppressed" people in the world, that is a myth. Every ethnicity listed has suffered just as much as the others through the course of history. Heck, the people listed are the lucky ones, they've survived to this day, there are many ethnic groups that have been completely destroyed (why doesnt anyone think of the Native American tribes, if anything, they should get everyones vote for the most oppressed, they were wiped out in less than a couple hundred years).

But as it goes, those who market the suffering of their people the best seem to come out on top.

I don't agree, those nations were oppressed that they wanted to preserve their own culture and religion, for example however we Iranians have preserved most of our culture and traditions but it is a fact that we have changed our religions easily, you know that before Safavid times, the majority of Iranians were Sunni but they are already Shia, some other peoples in the Middle east have changed their almost all things, like those who were Babylonians, Elamites, Phoenicians and etc and some other ones have just preserved their names, like Syrians and Egyptians, I think Jews are really an exception.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 13:20
So your only criteria for the Jews being the most oppressed people is that they managed to preserve their religion?

Then what about Zoroastrians? Havent they preserved their religion against all odds?

The fact of the matter is that there is no single most oppressed people, Jews have just been very successful in marketing their suffering for political purposes. Other than that, all ethnicities have been oppressed throughout the course of history, some have been completely wiped out!

I'd say that the most oppressed are the ones that didnt even make it to present times.

-------------

Posted By: Emil_Diniyev
Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 13:20
And Azerbaijan are not opressed in your opinion? Or you didn't include because its not middle-east?

Azerbaijan have been opressed by 100 years of Qajar and 200 years of Russian rule.

Now millions of Azeris are under opression of Persians and a half million under Georgian regime. Our population have been driven out of "Armenia", Nagorno-Karabakh and 7 districts around it. Our lands have been given away.

Derbent, Zengezur, Borchali, Tebriz, Ardebil...

Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 13:25
Originally posted by Emil_Diniyev

And Azerbaijan are not opressed in your opinion? Or you didn't include because its not middle-east?

Azerbaijan have been opressed by 100 years of Qajar and 200 years of Russian rule.

Now millions of Azeris are under opression of Persians and a half million under Georgian regime. Our population have been driven out of "Armenia", Nagorno-Karabakh and 7 districts around it. Our lands have been given away.

Derbent, Zengezur, Borchali, Tebriz, Ardebil...

Oppressed in which way, please do tell.LOL And lets not put Iranian Azari's in the same category as Azeri's from the Republican of Azerbaijan. Also, dont forget that the tyrant terrorist mullah leader of Iran, KHAMENEI, is an Iranian Azari. So, by your logic, its the Azari's that are oppressing all Iranians?

Also, since I love pointing out the contradictions in your logic, wasnt Nagorno Karabakh's population majority Armenian? You say that Iran should give the Azari's independence (you implied this by lumping Iranian cities along with other cities in other countries which you claim are all Azeri cities, such as those in the R. of Azerbaijan), yet you deny the Armenian's in "your" land independence? How does that logic work?

When the Soviet Union collapsed, here were the demographics of Nagorno-Karabakh: Armenians (76.4%), 42,871 Azerbaijanis (22.4%). Today, the region is more than 95% Armenian (I realize that this is mostly due to the war and that many Azeri's fled), so how do you expect to kick all of these Armenians out? Just like the Israeli's in what is today former Palestinian land, it doesnt appear that they'll ever be going anywhere because they now dominate the region and have been living there for quite some time.

So please tell me how you rationalize this in your mind? How you can call for the "liberation" of Azari's in Iran yet still insist on Azeri domination of an Armenian dominated region?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 14:00
They tell that for dumbarses like you to create a such image. Khamenei my arse. Hes from Mashad.

Armenians settled in Karabakh from middle-east. There was even a monument in Karabakh dedicated to Armenians and it was saying "Armenians, welcome to Karabakh from Maraga/Iran, the 150th anniversary". Of course they destroyed it but there are pictures of it. If you want, I can post it.

Well dumbarse, the difference is Palestinians has no force to drive out Israelis. And its a totally different matter. Azerbaijan's military budget are equal to whole state budget of Armenia and it will get much bigger as oil income will get more. While Armenia are isolated where people cross to Azerbaijan because of hunger. Of course the second war is invetiable, its only matter of time when it will start. And we don't have any intentions to drive out Armenians, thos who want to live there can still live there.

And how do you compare it to situation of Azeris in Iran?

Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 14:13

They tell that for dumbarses like you to create a such image. Khamenei my arse. Hes from Mashad.

So, an Azeri born in Mashad isnt an Azeri? What if an Azeri is born in America, is he not an Azeri still? Nice logic, you're right I must be dumb because I just dont get it.LOL

Armenians settled in Karabakh from middle-east. There was even a monument in Karabakh dedicated to Armenians and it was saying "Armenians, welcome to Karabakh from Maraga/Iran, the 150th anniversary". Of course they destroyed it but there are pictures of it. If you want, I can post it.

It doesnt matter where they came from, my point is that they're there now, you propose ethnic cleansing?

Well dumbarse, the difference is Palestinians has no force to drive out Israelis. And its a totally different matter. Azerbaijan's military budget are equal to whole state budget of Armenia and it will get much bigger as oil income will get more. While Armenia are isolated where people cross to Azerbaijan because of hunger. Of course the second war is invetiable, its only matter of time when it will start.

Oh, so the Israeli Palestinian issue is different because the Palestinians are weak, but because Azerbaijan is so powerful, it legitimizes a war which will surely kill thousands of people for a small piece of worthless land. Yea, once again, your logic amazes me, lets fight and die for a worthless small piece of land with a made up significance which stems from ultra nationalism.

And we don't have any intentions to drive out Armenians, thos who want to live there can still live there.

Ok, so you just want Azeri domination over an area of land that is more than 95% Armenian today...

And how do you compare it to situation of Azeris in Iran?

You believe that Azarbaijan is occupied land (of course, anyone with a knowledge of the history of the region knows this is not true) and that it should have self determination correct?

Yet at the same time you want to deny Armenians the right of self determination. Do you see the connection buddy, or am I to much of a "dumbarse"?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 14:27

So your only criteria for the Jews being the most oppressed people is that they managed to preserve their religion?

Then what about Zoroastrians? Havent they preserved their religion against all odds?

The fact of the matter is that there is no single most oppressed people, Jews have just been very successful in marketing their suffering for political purposes. Other than that, all ethnicities have been oppressed throughout the course of history, some have been completely wiped out!

I'd say that the most oppressed are the ones that didnt even make it to present times.

What is the ratio of Persian Zoroastrians to Persian Muslims? The fact is that the majority of Persian Zoroastrians didn't preserve their religion and just a small number of them who lived in some isolated lands, like in the deserts around Yazd, could do it.
It is said Shah Ismail gathered a large number of Sunni clerics in Tabriz and ordered them to insult Abu Bakr, Umar and other Sunni holy figures in public, one of them abstained and was immediately beheaded, and then all other ones did what the king had ordered. For this simple reason, the majority of Iranians became Shia Muslims.
But we know several times in the history, Jews were killed, exiled, or taken as slaves and the majority of them never changed their values, for example we know after the famous battle of the trench (Khandaq), the Prophet said this people never change their relgion, so he ordered to behead all the men of Banu Qurayza Jewish tribe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_the_Banu_Qurayza - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_the_Banu_Qurayza

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 14:36
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

What is the ratio of Persian Zoroastrians to Persian Muslims? The fact is that the majority of Persian Zoroastrians didn't preserve their religion and just a small number of them who lived in some isolated lands, like in the deserts around Yazd, could do it.
It is said Shah Ismail gathered a large number of Sunni clerics in Tabriz and ordered them to insult Abu Bakr, Umar and other Sunni holy figures in public, one of them abstained and was immediately beheaded, and then all other ones did what the king had ordered. For this simple reason, the majority of Iranians became Shia Muslims.
But we know several times in the history, Jews were killed, exiled, or taken as slaves and the majority of them never changed their values, for example we know after the famous battle of the trench (Khandaq), the Prophet said this people never change their relgion, so he ordered to behead all the men of Banu Qurayza Jewish tribe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_the_Banu_Qurayza - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_the_Banu_Qurayza

But the topic here is which people has been the most oppressed, not which people has been oppressed and still maintained their religion. These are two different topics. If you are talking about oppression, then NO, the Jews are not the most oppressed peoples. In terms of who has been oppressed and still maintained their identity, then yes, you can make a good case for the Jews.

-------------

Posted By: C. Isaurikon
Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 18:34
I voted Armenians, the poor buggers.

Date Posted: 27-May-2010 at 23:38

But the topic here is which people has been the most oppressed, not which people has been oppressed and still maintained their religion. These are two different topics. If you are talking about oppression, then NO, the Jews are not the most oppressed peoples. In terms of who has been oppressed and still maintained their identity, then yes, you can make a good case for the Jews.

Would you please tell us what the most oppressed nation in the Middle East is in your opinion? According which source you say "Every ethnicity listed has suffered just as much as the others through the course of history"? Most of these nations have lived in their own lands for long times with almsot no problem, but Jews have never lived comfortably anywhere in the Middle East from at least 2800 years ago, maybe just some of them have had a better situation in the recent times (second half of 20th century) and in the Ilkhanid Mongol period (first half of 14th century).

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2010 at 05:42

Jews have just been very successful in marketing their suffering for political purposes.
You can say that again. So successful that they convinced the WWII winners to take another nation's land and hand it to them. 

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2010 at 07:51

Would you please tell us what the most oppressed nation in the Middle East is in your opinion?

I'm saying that there is no single oppressed nation in the Middle East. You know the history of the Middle East Cyrus, you should know that every group living there today has suffered at one point or another. Massacres, genocides, wars, displacement, etc... were very common throughout the history of the world.

According which source you say "Every ethnicity listed has suffered just as much as the others through the course of history"?

Ok, lets go through your list:

Kurds - no homeland, displaced, gassed by Saddam, prevented from practicing their culture and language in some countries, etc...
Assyrians - havent had a nation for thousands of years, displaced, massacred, persecuted, genocide
Armenians - nation was continually being conquered by other powers, persecuted for their religion, genocide, etc...

So you see, the situation of the Jews is not unique at all.

Most of these nations have lived in their own lands for long times with almsot no problem, but Jews have never lived comfortably anywhere in the Middle East from at least 2800 years ago, maybe just some of them have had a better situation in the recent times (second half of 20th century) and in the Ilkhanid Mongol period (first half of 14th century).

Are you kidding me? Do you even know the history of the Jews that well? The Jews, first of all, took the land they claim "god gave them" from another peoples through ethnic cleansing. Then like all other kingdoms thousands of years ago, they fought wars with other empires and the Jews happened to lost, and they suffered what all losing people suffered in those times (i.e massacres and displacements, etc...). What happened to the Jews was very common back in those times and it was the victors right to do what they pleased over conquered peoples. MANY ETHNIC GROUPS SUFFERED THIS, THE JEWS ARE NOT SPECIAL.

Like I said before, the "most oppressed" nation in the Middle East are the people who dont exist anymore, who've completely been wiped out. Poor Elamites, they're gone, they're surely one of the most oppressed, along with the Hittites and Babylonians and others who didnt make it.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2010 at 11:31

I'm saying that there is no single oppressed nation in the Middle East. You know the history of the Middle East Cyrus, you should know that every group living there today has suffered at one point or another. Massacres, genocides, wars, displacement, etc... were very common throughout the history of the world.
It is clear that you don't want to answer my question and just want to show your disagreement with my opinion by generalization, not by historical evidences. Did I say there is just a single oppressed nation in the Middle East?! We are talking about the most oppressed one. According to which source you say Elamites, Hittites, Babylonians and other peoples who easily changed their identity after foreign conquests were completely wiped out by oppression?!

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2010 at 12:06
question on methodology how are you quantifying oppression?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2010 at 12:18
Dreamweaver, thats exactly my point. Cyrus, you cannot say that one group of people is more oppressed than another. I already answered your question by saying that there is no "most" oppressed people.

Where is your source that Jews are the most oppressed people?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2010 at 12:34

Are you kidding me? Do you even know the history of the Jews that well? The Jews, first of all, took the land they claim "god gave them" from another peoples through ethnic cleansing. Then like all other kingdoms thousands of years ago, they fought wars with other empires and the Jews happened to lost, and they suffered what all losing people suffered in those times (i.e massacres and displacements, etc...).
Right on. Again, you can say that again.Approve 

-------------

Posted By: ideas
Date Posted: 30-May-2010 at 15:01
Maybe the question should be a bit more clear, I mean do you mean, who is still opressed or who was opressed?

The answer to the first one is obviouslt jews, though the second one is kurds, as jews and armenians both have a country, so I dont see how they opressed?

Date Posted: 31-May-2010 at 02:46
Jews. The most oppressed people. With 800 nukes. Yes. Of course. And they need them nukes to stay oppressed, don't they?

-------------

Date Posted: 31-May-2010 at 03:00
How about we create a new land space for exiled Palestinians, Kurds and Assyrians? Sort of a tri-national state. We set up, for starters, as a sort of temporary nursery state for them, some area of multi-bordered land between Syria, Iraq, Iran and Turkey.

When the nursery state is stable and up-and-running, we move the people to a permanent settlement in a donor country. One with land space to spare in abundance, of course. America could be a likely candidate.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-May-2010 at 04:46
You can't compare Palestinian Arabs to Kurds and Assyrians, the fact is that some Turks from Turkistan and Arabs from Arabia have captured the lands of Kurds, Assyrians and Jews, the oppressed nations just want to live in their ancestral lands but the oppressors want to "wipe them off the map".

-------------

Posted By: Nurica
Date Posted: 31-May-2010 at 15:50
Always there was a certain number of jews that changed their values, even abandoned their religion... fortunetaly!
In fact, that was exactly what did make millions of middle easterners that converted to islam from different sects of christianism. So we have to ask ourseleves if it is really a virtue to keep no matter the risks to your values, or in fact the poison, the real poison is exactly this fanaticism of some jews (and other nationalists or religious fanatics of other nations) that are to blame for the megatonne of blood that stained the human history.
My question is: virtue or madness, to sacrifice your life in order to "save" (???) your values.   

Date Posted: 31-May-2010 at 20:23
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/145613271 - http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/145613271 - http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/145613271

Israeli commandos stormed a flotilla bringing humanitarian aid to Gaza, killing at least 10 activists and prompting worldwide condemnation Monday.

Usual Israeli BS: Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak said the organizers of the flotilla were responsible after 10 activists were killed when Israel Navy commandos stormed the ship overnight, Haaretz reported.

Media accounts offered conflicting numbers of the reported dead, with some reporting as many as 20 activists killed when Israeli commandos stormed the flotilla, Haaretz said. However, several Israeli and international media outlets reported 10 activists died.

The wounded, estimated to be about 50, were taken to Israeli hospitals and the ships were being escorted to Israel's Ashdod port, where the passengers and aid supplies would be unloaded and screened. At least four Israeli forces were injured, Israeli officials said (injured by catapults, perhaps).

Turkey's Foreign Affairs Ministry said Israeli troops "used force against civilians ... who wished to take humanitarian aid to Gazan people," Anadulo Ajansi reported.

"We harshly condemn such an inhuman treatment by Israel," the ministry said, adding, Israel's actions "may lead to irredeemable consequences in our bilateral relationships.

Officials said Israel's ambassador to Turkey has been called to the ministry in Ankara to explain, CNN said. France and Greece also called on Israeli ambassadors for an explanation.

White House spokesman Bill Burton said the United States "deeply regrets the loss of life and injuries sustained and is currently working to understand the circumstances surrounding this tragedy." (Wow, what a strong reaction indeed.)

The European Union and the United Nations also condemned the raid, The Washington Post reported. The EU called for an inquiry into the deaths.

Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad said there was no excuse for an attack "by armed forces on a humanitarian convoy," CNN said. Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas declared three days of mourning.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly canceled his trip to the United States Tuesday because of the incident, CNN reported.

In Jerusalem, Israel Defense Forces Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi said the soldiers were forced to respond with live rounds when they were met by violent activists (Wow!), Haaretz said.

Israel's National Security Council Counter-Terrorism Bureau issued a travel warning to Israelis in Turkey, The Jerusalem Post reported.

Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Daniel Ayalon said at least two guns were found aboard the ships and used to fire at troops, of whom four were injured. (Only 2 guns, aye?)

One organizer denied to The New York Times that Israeli military personnel were greeted with weapons fire.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/145613271 - http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/145613271

The most opressed nation in West Asia/the world. Of course. Oh yeah.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 06:02
Overkill by Israel, operation messed up, but I dont dispute their right to do it.

(Insert appropriate falmming below)

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 08:59
Oh yeah, how to dispute "the right" to perpetrate night-time killings in international water?

Date Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 10:23
If you're going to attack the military while doing their job dont be surprised when you get shot in the face.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/10206351.stm%20 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/10206351.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/10195997.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/10195997.stm

Anyhow there is a speific thread for the Israeli raid in a different forum thread.

-------------

Posted By: Maximus Germanicus
Date Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 11:29
Originally posted by DreamWeaver

Overkill by Israel, operation messed up, but I dont dispute their right to do it.

(Insert appropriate falmming below)

I agree 100% They needed to be smarter on how they handled it. They are winning the battles but losing the war. The wars now a days are won or lost on public opinion

Date Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 19:49

No. They had zilch right to do it. The flotilla was not in Israeli waters. It was in international waters. If Turkey decides to take any measures, even the most extremely robust measures, against Israel in relation to this atrocious debacle, Turkey is then fully justified.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jun-2010 at 19:58

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100531/ap_on_an/ml_israel_fallout_analysis -

By KARIN LAUB and MATTHEW LEE, Associated Press Writers Karin Laub And Matthew Lee, Associated Press Writers – Mon May 31, 4:17 pm ET

JERUSALEM – Israel's bloody, bungled takeover of a Gaza-bound Turkish aid vessel is complicating U.S.-led Mideast peace efforts, deepening Israel's international isolation and threatening to destroy the Jewish state's ties with key regional ally Turkey.

And while Israel had hoped to defend its tight blockade of Hamas-ruled Gaza with Monday's high-seas raid, it instead appeared to be hastening the embargo's demise, judging by initial international condemnation.

The pre-dawn commando operation, which killed nine activists, was also sure to strengthen Gaza's Islamic militant Hamas rulers at the expense of U.S. allies in the region, key among them Hamas' main rival, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, as well as Egypt and Jordan.

"The attack on a humanitarian mission ... will only further alienate the international community and isolate Israel while granting added legitimacy to Hamas' claim to represent the plight of the Palestinian people," said Scott Atran, an analyst at the University of Michigan.

The Mediterranean bloodshed dealt another blow to the Obama administration's efforts to get peace talks back on track. It raised new questions about one of the pillars of U.S. policy — that Hamas can be left unattended as Washington tries to broker a peace deal between Abbas and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The raid tested U.S.-Israeli ties that have not yet fully recovered from their most serious dispute in decades, triggered by Israeli construction plans in disputed east Jerusalem.

In the most immediate fallout, the interception of the six-boat flotilla carrying 10,000 tons of supplies for Gaza trained the global spotlight on the blockade of the territory. Israel and Egypt sealed Gaza's borders after Hamas overran the territory in 2007, wresting control from Abbas-loyal forces.

The blockade, under which Israel allows in only essential humanitarian supplies, was intended to squeeze the militants. Instead, it has failed to dislodge Hamas, driven ordinary Gazans deeper into poverty and emerged as a constant source of friction and instability. In trying to shake off the blockade, Hamas intensified rocket fire on Israeli border towns, provoking Israel's three-week military offensive against Gaza 16 months ago.

After the Gaza war, the international community remained reluctant to push hard for an end to the blockade, for fear it could prolong the rule of Hamas, branded a terrorist organization by the West.

But after Monday's deadly clash, Israel may find itself under growing pressure to at least ease the blockade significantly.

European diplomats on Monday demanded a swift end to the border closure, while U.S. officials said statements would call for greater assistance to the people of Gaza. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the situation.

The fate of U.S.-led indirect talks between Israel and the Palestinians was uncertain.

Netanyahu canceled a scheduled Tuesday meeting with President Barack Obama in Washington, and the status of a planned visit to Washington by Abbas next week was not immediately clear.

The Palestinian leader on Monday denounced Israel's actions as a "sinful massacre" and met with aides to decide on his next move.

Israel dismissed the condemnation, saying its forces came under attack when they tried to board one of the Turkish-flagged aid vessels (activists attacking hard-core commandos? Hmmm.Approve) However, its point of view seemed to fall on deaf ears.

"Militarily, we can feel quite safe, but not regarding our political international standing," said Alon Liel, a former Israeli diplomat posted in Turkey.

Israel also appears close to destroying its relationship with key strategic ally Turkey.

Turkey decided to scrap three military drills involving Israel and withdrawal of its ambassador.

Turkey, NATO's sole Muslim member, established close military relations with Israel in 1996 under U.S. pressure. Today, the Islamic-rooted government's sensitivities about the plight of Muslims anywhere and aspirations to have a say in the Middle East and Europe are reshaping Turkish foreign policy.

___

Lee reported from Washington. Associated Press writers Mohammed Daraghmeh in Ramallah, West Bank, and Selcan Hacaoglu in Ankara, Turkey, contributed to this report.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 00:02
<<If you're going to attack the military while doing their job dont be surprised when you get shot in the face>>

Wooow! take that as link from bbc site, it function better than your dead links...

Witnesses cast doubt on Israel's convoy raid account
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10208027.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10208027.stm
Eyewitness accounts from ships raided by Israeli commandos have cast doubt on Israel's version of events that led to the deaths of at least nine people.

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 00:27

You are a trained soldier, armed to the teeth. You rough someone up, verbally, psychologically and physically. Provoke him to the very edge of his patience. Eventually, he lashes out. Then you shoot him at your leisure and plead self-defence. His friends jump to his aid, you do the same.

It's easy.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 00:47

courtesy of Nurica: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10208027.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10208027.stmEyewitness - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10208027.stm

Eyewitness accounts from ships raided by Israeli commandos have cast doubt on Israel's version of events that led to the deaths of at least nine people. German activist Norman Paech said he had only seen wooden sticks being brandished as troops abseiled on to the deck of the ship. "There were no knives, no axes and no pistols."

Israel says its soldiers were attacked with "knives, clubs and other weapons" and "opened fire in self-defence" (the usual Israeli BS). The raid led to widespread condemnation and the UN has called for an inquiry. US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Tuesday that Washington would support an Israeli investigation of the raid, but said it must be "prompt, impartial, credible and transparent", as called for by the UN.

The six ships, carrying aid and campaigners, had sailed from Cyprus in a bid to break Israel's blockade of the Gaza Strip. Israel seized more than 670 people with the ships and deported 50 on Tuesday. The Israeli cabinet later announced that all those still being held would be deported within 48 hours.

Speaking as he arrived back in Berlin wrapped in a blue blanket, Mr Paech, a member of a German opposition party, said Israel's operation "was not an act of self-defence". "Personally I saw two-and-a-half wooden batons that were used... There was really nothing else. We never saw any knives. This was an attack in international waters on a peaceful mission ... This was a clear act of piracy." Mr. Paech had been a passenger on the Turkish passenger ship Mavi Marmara where most, if not all, of the deaths occurred.

Fellow German activist Inge Hoeger said they had been on the ships 'for peaceful purposes'. "We wanted to transport aid to Gaza," she said. "No-one had a weapon." She added: "We were aware that this would not be a simple cruise across the sea to deliver the goods to Gaza. But we did not count on this kind of brutality."

Activist Bayram Kalyon, arriving back in Istanbul, had also been a passenger on the Mavi Marmara. "The captain... told us 'They are firing randomly, they are breaking the windows and entering inside. So you should get out of here as soon as possible'. That was our last conversation with him."

Meanwhile, in Nazareth, Israeli Arab MP Haneen Zuabi - who was on the flotilla - told a press conference that Israeli forces began firing while still in the helicopters hovering over the ships. "We are calling for an international committee to investigate this tragedy," she said.

Diplomatic sources in Ankara have said at least four of those killed were Turkish. Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the assault was a "bloody massacre" and must be punished. He said Israel should not test Turkey's patience.

Further criticism of Israel came from UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday. In an interview with the AFP news agency, he said Israel's blockade of Gaza was responsible for the deadly raid. "Had Israelis heeded to my call and to the call of the international community by lifting the blockade of Gaza, this tragic incident would not have happened," he said.

Nato Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen called on Israel to release people and boats it had seized. He spoke after an emergency meeting of Nato ambassadors in Brussels called by Turkey. Gaza violence. The UN Security Council issued its statement after deliberating through Monday night. It said an investigation should be "prompt, impartial, credible and transparent". It also condemned the "acts" which led to the deaths.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 00:52

The Problem you have is that the Turks don't like the Arabs--It wasn't that long ago that the word for Arab and Dog and Arab and traitor were interchangeable in Turkish

The other problem you have is when it all boils down to it the Military still runs turkey, they are secular and wouldn't pull a hair for their Moslem brothers unless it benefits Turkey.

By  the way SoD let me give you some wisdom, as a professor once told me --Think--Nobody cares what you think only what you know, where you learned it and what are the citations (are they from credible sources)--So from now on unless you can cite your sources your arguments are baseless. Well they are silly anyway just like you--

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 00:58
What wisdom? Apart from your Washington-manufactured crap, you don't have any. Absolute zilch.Approve

You're out of touch again. As usual. Haven't you heard, Mr. Reccip Tayyip Erdogan and his friend Abdullah Gul has already taken the military and other vital state apparatus - all formerly controlled by secular Janissary's descendants - under their authority.

The army, navy and air force is now under complete civilian control. They all  have to answer and report to Erdogan as Head of Government. While Gul as Head of State is Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces. No more army-led coup d'etat for Turkey.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 01:02
This why the Turks have are drifting over the capitulation of Syria in the late 90's and other changes in the ME it is all RealPolitik and nothing else

Since the October 1998 Turkish threat to
use force against Syria,12 Damascus has complied with Turkish demands to stop
support for the Kurdish insurgency and to cease demands for the Alexandretta
province. Similarly, Cyprus was “convinced” not to station S-300 surface-to-air
missile systems on its soil, which could have hampered the freedom of action of
the Turkish air force. Furthermore, Saddam Hussein’s Iraq was eliminated as a
threat by the 2003 American conquest, leading to a drastically less threatening
regional environment. In such a situation, Turkey’s reliance on Israel and the
West decreases.

“Turkey Cancels Air Force Drill Because of Israeli Participation,” Hürriyet Daily News, 11 October 2009.
 “Tension Continues between Turkey and Syria,” Arabic News, 31 October 1998.
 Amanda Akçakoca, “Turkey: An Energy Bridge for Europe,” Today’s Zaman, 11 April 2007.

Turkey is drifting East as it were in order to Show the EU they better play ball or else

Avi Mizrachi, “Navy to partake in Turkish exercise,” Jerusalem Post, 12 August 2009.
European Parliament, “EU-Turkey,” 20 October 2009, http://www.europarl.europa.eu/eplive/expert/ - http://www.europarl.europa.eu/eplive/expert/
shotlistpage/20091019SHL62757/default_en.htm.
 “Fears Grow of Sarkozy Initiative to Downgrade Turkey’s EU Bid,” Financial Times, 15 October 2009; Şaban Kardaş,
“Merkel and Sarkozy Call for Privileged Partnership Angers Turkey,” The Jamestown Foundation, 13 May 2009,
Eurasia Daily Monitor, Volume 6, Issue 92.
 Central and Eastern European Watch, “Turkey’s EU Membership and the Public Opinion,” http://www.despiteborders - http://www.despiteborders .
com/clanky/data/upimages/petkova_turkey_eu_public_opionion.pdf; EurActiv, “EU-Turkey Relations,” http://www.euractiv - http://www.euractiv .
com/en/enlargement/eu-turkey-relations/article-129678.

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 01:07
However, If Turkey sends warships and the IDF attacks them, then what--That is an attack on NATO then NATO would be compelled to act--I hope Israel isn't that dumb

While I support Israel in general they make some bonehead PR moves

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 01:27
Originally posted by Shield-of-Dardania

What wisdom? Apart from your Washington-manufactured crap, you don't have any. Absolute zilch.Approve

You're out of touch again. As usual. Haven't you heard, Mr. Reccip Tayyip Erdogan and his friend Abdullah Gul has already taken the military and other vital state apparatus - all formerly controlled by secular Janissary's descendants - under their authority.

The army, navy and air force is now under complete civilian control. They all  have to answer and report to Erdogan as Head of Government. While Gul as Head of State is Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces. No more army-led coup d'etat for Turkey.

Thats where you are wrong again. Yeah that upset the armed forces but trust me on a few things

1. NATO will not let Turkey drift east over Israel

2. Turkey will be part of NATO or not be in the EU

3. Turk military will reatke the nation before they lose the funding from the west

A State outside the State

The Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) is a powerful military machine, whose numbers are only surpassed within NATO by the United States. Armament renovation has been a national priority for decades, supported by all governments without reservations�until now. Furthermore, all new acquisitions and their destinations have been managed by military leaders without any parliamentary control. Thus, the military budget, supposedly 5% of Gross Domestic Product (which places Turkey as the nation within NATO using the greatest percentage of GDP for military), is elaborated by the military staff and its approbation by the legislative power is only formally limited without any debate.

Are you talking about the sledgehammer plot-- Yeah that hurt the military but it is still the real power in Turkey

Since they use all NATO equipment and are funded by NATO I really don't see turkey drifting away from the west

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 01:29

The Army has the money, power and guns, doesn't matter who is nominally in charge

Posted By: Xorto
Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 02:20
Maybe the jews are hated by arabs ,turks and iranians which surround them, but for sure the most opressed people are the kurds. messed on their population size (35-45 mio) and their situation you can´t compare other nations with them. Maybe the assyrians have also no land but in fact they are less than 2 Million Assyrians. and they are distributed to many countrys without connection. Some live in Lebanon,Syria some in Iran some in Armenia some in Azerbaijan some in Turkey some in Northafrica. But the problem by kurds is they are one divided nation between 4 Borders. It´s like some strenger came to your home and just Draw a border between you, the parents and your sister.

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 03:20

MG. Apparently, you still don't get it, despite your army background. If the Executive can order the arrest of top military generals on suspicion of plotting an overthrow, with the approval of the Chief of Armed Forces (not that the fellow had much of a choice anymore), then who is really in power?

You are still living and dreaming in the past. But things are changing in Turkey even as you are typing away. Even the Turkish military itself is now powerless to stop it. They can resist the PM and the Prez, but they can't resist the entire Turkish nation, can they? And the nation are now ... solidly ... with ... Erdogan and Gul.

The only way Turkey is moving forward is toward becoming a properly Muslim country, rather than the nominal one it has been all this while. Not an extremely fanatical one, but still a properly Muslim one. The trend is unstoppable and irreversible.

NATO will have to accommodate this latest developments if NATO still values Turkey as a Member State. While Turkey will only remain in NATO for as long as its membership is appreciated and is beneficial to Turkey. Otherwise, it could become another 'France', exitting NATO while remaining a NATO close ally.

With some strategic adjustments, Turkey does not need to be a part of the EU to continue trading with EU and benefiting from it. A well-managed, well-organised, efficient economy can remain productively engaged with any other economy without having to be part of any formal economic alliance.

Correction to your bonehead statement:
If Turkey attacks Israel and Israel fights back, that is not an Israeli attack on NATO. But if Israel attacks Turkish territory, then that is an attack on a NATO Member State, and therefore is an attack on NATO. BTW, however, Turkey alone is powerful enough to smash Israel to bits, without NATO assistance.

The Army has the money, power and guns? Wow! If the King is powerful enough to subdue the General, will the Army obey the King or the General?

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 03:46
I agree thatTurkey could smash the IDF with out NATO help or any other army in the middle east. I would read up on the new CoS he is not exactly a radical Muslim--

You have to remember the Turks really don't like the Arabs or the Persians-- most of the anger in Turkey is over the EU, France is blocking it. They don't feel respected. Also Turkey has had a long History of working with the Jews. There was and is a large Jewish Community in Istanbul. This current crisis will pass. It is all political. Turkey wants the new joint strike fighter and the new leopards, they will get them. This is what all this is about.

Also the governments support is mainly in the provinces not in the cities, almost all off the Officer corp is wetern educated. Turkey is an strange bird to say the least.

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 03:56
'Western educated' does not necessarily have to mean 'poodle of the west'.Approve The education is intended to liberate your mind, not to bind it in chains.

Hey, I'm western educated too, remember?

No, you severely underrate the close underlying relationship between Turkey and Iran, and Turkey and the Arab states. Forget the occassional petty little spats between neighbours. More importantly, their histories are intimately intertwined, all the way to even ancient, very ancient pre-Islamic times.

BTW, it has also often happened that new developments first develop in the provinces, then spread gradually but relentlessly to the cities.

No, I don't believe this is just about EU membership, JSF or Leopards. It's much, much deeper than that. It's a vast, new, fundamental transformation in the entire Turkish political landscape. Turkey has, eventually, made the decision to embark on the long awaited, very very important journey to rediscover and reinvent itself.

-------------

Posted By: Night Crawler
Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 04:08
Armenians-- No question So much for your Turks they shouldn't be in NATO anyway

Don't you fool realize that its not the Taleban it is Pakistan. They are supporting the war--The longer the war goes that get more US money and and an unstable Afgahnistan allows them to remain the power-

Bring back ole Mushi he would out an end to this we need more puppets

Posted By: Kanas_Krumesis
Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 12:36
Originally posted by Maximus Germanicus

I agree thatTurkey could smash the IDF with out NATO help or any other army in the middle east. I would read up on the new CoS he is not exactly a radical Muslim--

You have to remember the Turks really don't like the Arabs or the Persians-- most of the anger in Turkey is over the EU, France is blocking it. They don't feel respected. Also Turkey has had a long History of working with the Jews. There was and is a large Jewish Community in Istanbul. This current crisis will pass. It is all political. Turkey wants the new joint strike fighter and the new leopards, they will get them. This is what all this is about.

Also the governments support is mainly in the provinces not in the cities, almost all off the Officer corp is wetern educated. Turkey is an strange bird to say the least.

I`m really amazed by this conclusion. Maxi, you forget that Israel is a nuclear power with third arsenal in the world by size. They have a ballistic rockets. Ever in 70`s Israel have enough military power to smash all Middle East and North African country. To occupy their territory. Israeli have a weapons their own production. You personally talk about excellent battle tank "Merkava" as one of the most steady machine in the world. Israeli navy have their own made missle boats.  Produce and sell weapons all over the world (Uzi, Galil, TAR-21, Negev, Desert Eagle). Their own Aerospace industry, advanced technology... 

What is Turkey? Their army was create after 1945 by USA and NATO to be a stronghold during Cold war against USSR expansion towards Mediterranean sea and Middle East. The army is western oriented, while masses of the population are Islamists and dreams about long dead Ottoman empire. USA from decades have been donate Turkish army by millions dollars. Army made several coup to take-over embarrass for Washington Islamist and Nationalist governments. After end of the Cold war role of the army in Turkish society begin to fall. For 8 years Turkey is ruled by Islamist and anti-western government. The foreign politics is official focused over recovery of Ottoman empire, which mean aggressive pressure (include military) in South-East Europe (The Balkans) and increase of Turkish influence in Middle East. They used a image of Muslim advocate, protector and leader of Islamic world. Turkey is not USA and NATO ally anymore and people in Washington begin to realize it. EU stoped process of Turkish inclusion, because new Turkish official imperialistic ambition contrary to European interests. Turkey refuse to step in 2003 Iraq war and even refuse to give it`s territory in help of "ally" US army. Turkey recently make a deal with Iranian dictator Ahmadinejad (hateful to Iranian people) to help his nuclear programme in face of all world soceity (EU, USA, and even Russia). From begining of this year Turkish military provocations towards Greece (also NATO member) are something usual and make a deep anxiety in the region. Not only flights by heavily armed Turkish fighters at low altitude over Greek islands in Aegean sea, but also deep break of Greek territorial waters by naval vessels- http://sofiaecho.com/2010/03/16/873927_turkish-naval-corvette-enters-greek-waters-and-sails-almost-to-athens - http://sofiaecho.com/2010/03/16/873927_turkish-naval-corvette-enters-greek-waters-and-sails-almost-to-athens

What is Turkish army? Aircrafts- American F-16, tanks- German "Leopard", ammunition and logistic -dependent on NATO. Army personal- big by size, well trained and motivated. Own military products or inventions-none. Nukes-none.

It`s  matter of time of similar collision like last one. Izrael ever once respond to the Turkish challenge (diplomatic). Izrael have no fear to attack Turkish ship into international waters. I think they accept the challenge. I personally expect Turkey soon to be excluded from NATO.

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2010 at 23:50

Iraq 2003 was an invasion. A naked, unprovoked, unauthorised, absolutely illegitimate invasion by America. Iraq and Iraqis had nothing to do with WTC 9/11. It was totally unjustified.

Turkey was right to have made a principled stand not to allow itself to get dragged into an atrocius debacle. A tough call, but a wise one. There was no attack by any country on a NATO Member State anyway. If it was a terrorist attack, then it was a terrorist attack. Just a group of independent, freely acting individuals. Why punish Iraq for it? Saddam Hussain's dictatorship yadda yadda yadda notwithstanding.

Israel might have no fear of Turkey. But then, neither does Turkey hold any fear of Israel, their 800 nukes notwitstanding.

Israel's victories in ME in the past have been relatively quick decisive victories against qualitatively much inferior opposition. It hasn't been tested in a long drawn out war against a worthy opponent. It even struggled to cope with Hezbollah in 2006.

Turkey is not Syria, nor Egypt. If Israel really has the balls, let's see it show them then. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 03:31
Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

I`m really amazed by this conclusion. Maxi, you forget that Israel is a nuclear power with third arsenal in the world by size. They have a ballistic rockets. Ever in 70`s Israel have enough military power to smash all Middle East and North African country. To occupy their territory. Israeli have a weapons their own production. You personally talk about excellent battle tank "Merkava" as one of the most steady machine in the world. Israeli navy have their own made missle boats.  Produce and sell weapons all over the world (Uzi, Galil, TAR-21, Negev, Desert Eagle). Their own Aerospace industry, advanced technology... 

What is Turkey? Their army was create after 1945 by USA and NATO to be a stronghold during Cold war against USSR expansion towards Mediterranean sea and Middle East. The army is western oriented, while masses of the population are Islamists and dreams about long dead Ottoman empire. USA from decades have been donate Turkish army by millions dollars. Army made several coup to take-over embarrass for Washington Islamist and Nationalist governments. After end of the Cold war role of the army in Turkish society begin to fall. For 8 years Turkey is ruled by Islamist and anti-western government. The foreign politics is official focused over recovery of Ottoman empire, which mean aggressive pressure (include military) in South-East Europe (The Balkans) and increase of Turkish influence in Middle East. They used a image of Muslim advocate, protector and leader of Islamic world. Turkey is not USA and NATO ally anymore and people in Washington begin to realize it. EU stoped process of Turkish inclusion, because new Turkish official imperialistic ambition contrary to European interests. Turkey refuse to step in 2003 Iraq war and even refuse to give it`s territory in help of "ally" US army. Turkey recently make a deal with Iranian dictator Ahmadinejad (hateful to Iranian people) to help his nuclear programme in face of all world soceity (EU, USA, and even Russia). From begining of this year Turkish military provocations towards Greece (also NATO member) are something usual and make a deep anxiety in the region. Not only flights by heavily armed Turkish fighters at low altitude over Greek islands in Aegean sea, but also deep break of Greek territorial waters by naval vessels- http://sofiaecho.com/2010/03/16/873927_turkish-naval-corvette-enters-greek-waters-and-sails-almost-to-athens - http://sofiaecho.com/2010/03/16/873927_turkish-naval-corvette-enters-greek-waters-and-sails-almost-to-athens

What is Turkish army? Aircrafts- American F-16, tanks- German "Leopard", ammunition and logistic -dependent on NATO. Army personal- big by size, well trained and motivated. Own military products or inventions-none. Nukes-none.

It`s  matter of time of similar collision like last one. Izrael ever once respond to the Turkish challenge (diplomatic). Izrael have no fear to attack Turkish ship into international waters. I think they accept the challenge. I personally expect Turkey soon to be excluded from NATO.

I should have been more specific I was talking about Naval power in case Isreal attacks the flotilla.

Date Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 03:42
Turkey will come back around they need the US-- They need US Logistical support, and the want the new Joint Strike fighter.

As for the invasion of Iraq--Once again SoD you are uninformed--Really you need to read more then jusy sensationilist headlines.

Turkey wanted to be the Invading force, they had thier leopards on the Iraqi border, they claim Iraqi land from the border to Kirkuk. When they were told they couldn't claim that land during the invasion thats when they got mailto:P@##$ - P@##$ # off and refused, they also wanted a lot of US money as a bribe. Guess what we still used our bases in Turkey to attack Iraq, where do you think our planes flew from?

I should have specified Turk Naval Power--The Turk Army with out NATO support isn't quite the level of Isreal in terms of a ground army, however they have a good Navy and Good (NATO Supported) Airforce. With NATO support Turkey more than likley is the most powerfull Middle eastern country but not with out NATO.

Rank 1-10 Observations: The United States (GFP formula value of 0.184) remains the undisputed leader of our list thanks to their staying "active" in global hotspots, showcasing the world's largest navy and continuing to poor in gobs of money into defense. Our formula sees China edge out Russia but only by the slimmest of margins (0.238 versus 0.241 respectively) with an edge in available manpower and financial capital. France (0.636) and Germany (0.672) are relative equals for the most part but the GFP formula gives a slight edge to France thanks to an aircraft carrier and capable navy as well as a bump in defense spending. Brazil (0.756) is the most powerful South American country on the list thanks to available manpower and a capable navy. Japan (0.920) is a "sleeper" power that sneaks into the top ten with a good navy, strong logistical infrastructure and capital.

Rank 11-20 Observations: Our formula provides for a good disparity between North and South Korea, placing South well-ahead of the North thanks to better infrastructure and capital. Mexico's placement this high on the list is interesting to note - it scored a good balance across the board in all major categories. Israel finally gets a proper placement on this year's list - just out of the top ten - sporting a strong land army with equally strong training, modern equipment and recent combat experience.

http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=United-States-of-America">Map of United States of America http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=United-States-of-America - U.S.A.
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=China">Map of China http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=China - China
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Russia">Map of Russia http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Russia - Russia
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=India">Map of India http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=India - India
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=United-Kingdom">Map of United Kingdom http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=United-Kingdom - U.K.
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=France">Map of France http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=France - France
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Germany">Map of Germany http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Germany - Germany
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Brazil">Map of Brazil http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Brazil - Brazil
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Japan">Map of Japan http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Japan - Japan
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Turkey">Map of Turkey http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Turkey - Turkey
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Israel">Map of Israel http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Israel - Israel

Date Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 03:45
By the way the next most powerfull ME nation is Egypt coming in at 17

http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Taiwan">Map of Taiwan http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Taiwan - Taiwan
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Egypt">Map of Egypt http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Egypt - Egypt
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Iran">Map of Iran http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Iran - Iran
http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Mexico">Map of Mexico http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Mexico - Mexico

Date Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 04:27
Turkey with out NATO is nothing-- Cut them off and watch them come crawling back. However, Isreal with out the states is nothing.  So cut them both off and watch them beat eachother with sticks and stones.

Maybe Greece can beat on Turkey after they leave NATO. Would be nice to rename Istanbul.

Date Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 05:14
Originally posted by Night Crawler

However, Isreal with out the states is nothing.  So cut them both off and watch them beat eachother with sticks and stones.

Not going to happen though, too much of a lobby for Israel.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 10:58

Turkey will come back around they need the US-- They need US Logistical support, and the want the new Joint Strike fighter.

As for the invasion of Iraq--Once again SoD you are uninformed--Really you need to read more then jusy sensationilist headlines.

Turkey wanted to be the Invading force, they had thier leopards on the Iraqi border, they claim Iraqi land from the border to Kirkuk. When they were told they couldn't claim that land during the invasion thats when they got mailto:P@##$ - P@##$ # off and refused, they also wanted a lot of US money as a bribe. Guess what we still used our bases in Turkey to attack Iraq, where do you think our planes flew from?

Yes, quite typical to Turkish policy. Two-faced towards "friends" and always hungry about foreign territory. I also hear about it. There is a information about Turkish plan for North Iraq occupation, just after Coalition force withdraw. In this moment only presence of Coalition forces stopped aspiration of Turkey and ensure Iraqi territorial integrity. Turkish army really love this priom of surprised attack against weak and unprepared enemy, just like they did in Cyprus. Obviously Turks want to begin restoration of their Ottoman empire from Iraq and Aegean islands. In 1998 they send a war ultimatum to Syria and put Syria on it`s knees. They wanted unconditional release of interference in internal affairs and transmission of suspected in PKK support. Now Turkey wants to extend its influence among Palestinians and started a game of nerves with Israel. If it`ll be war between Turkey and Israel, this will be end of Turkey, because Israel will smash Turkey in every aspect (include navy) and most generally- Turkey will finally lose the support of NATO. Nobody in Brussels want to be a shield of Turksih imperial ambitions.

Date Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 16:37
If Turkey starts any agression with Israel it will seriously dash any hopes they have of joining the EU, somthing they have been pushing for, for quite sometime.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 18:17
Originally posted by Night Crawler

Maybe Greece can beat on Turkey after they leave NATO. Would be nice to rename Istanbul.
Yes. You can have that some time. Just maybe. In your dreams.Approve

Guys, you still don't get it. Turkey will survive, and later thrive, if they don't get into EU. I hope EU gives Turkey a clear, firm rejection some time. Instead of continually pussy footing and dilly dallying with no end in sight. It will then force Turkey to wean itself off Europe. In fact, I really feel that leading Turkish economists should start advising Turkey's leaders to stop begging for this lousy, virtually worthless membership.

Turkey then will have to reinvent itself, revamp itself and realign itself. It will be painful initially, but it will be good fot Turkey in the long term. Turkey is a Eurasian realm. It has to learn - or rather, re-learn - how to play as a Eurasian realm. An independently thinking, independently acting Eurasian realm. Not remain as an old faithful western lapdog.

The future is in Asia much more than Europe. Turkey will rediscover its Asian roots and prosper as a result of it, instead of perennially languishing as an economic beggar on the periphery of Europe. When Turkey one day revives its past glory, which it surely will, Europeans will look at it again with genuine respect, rather than derision and contempt.

As for NATO, it can eject Turkey if it wants. Let's see what happens. One likely scenario is Turkey drifting in the direction of its Turkic brothers in Asia, towards the China-Russia camp. If that is what NATO wants, fine then. So be it. Turkey won't wilt, let alone die.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 21:32
Really with what economic resources? They don't have oil. The only thing than can do is build a pipeline to get oil and natural gas out of the Mid East--However Russia will never allow that to happen.  True enough they have a good manufacturing sector and a goog Ag sector- They make some decent cars-- But if not in the EU who is going to be them--Perhaps the middle calss in Afghanistan (HA HA) Or Iran (HA HA)  Even your heros the AK want to join the EU:

Opinion polls are not always reliable in Turkey. Compared to previous poll by Konsensus published last month, the AK Party was down 2.8 percent, the CHP was down 1.2 percent while the MHP was up 1.4 percent.

Erdogan is hoping an economic recovery will boost the AK Party's popularity ahead of next year's scheduled vote.

Before Turkey sank into recession in 2009, the AK Party presided over years of strong economic growth and launched historic talks to join the European Union.

But it is distrusted by Turkey's powerful secular elite, including top judges and army generals, because of its roots in political Islam. The party denies any Islamist agenda. (Writing by Ibon Villelabeitia; Editing by Ralph Boulton)
With out the EU and NATO The will be reduced to begger status soon enough. Funny the AK seems to deney they are Islamist even they want to be secular. Turkey might have some hope yet

Date Posted: 03-Jun-2010 at 23:27
 Persons like Shield of Dardania (-Great Turkey?!) spread official Turkish propaganda in this forum not for the first time. I`m amazed about their awareness in this matter from one hand, and totally turning a blind eyes to the obvious things from another.

Did anybody going to Turkey outside big cities of Istanbul, Ankara, Bursa and Izmir? Situation is very very miserable! There is numerous villages without electricity, water supply and sanitation in 21 century. People work on the fields with horses and steer, like they did hundreds of years before. Many send their children to work as cheap labor all across Europe (especially Germany) and lived almost for the money they bring back to them. Every village have at least one mosque and many people can`t read, but know Quran by rote absolute brainwashed from Islamist priests.  Is this your modern country, seeking to measure forces with Europe!?  If you go forward in easternmost Turkish region, you will see is a military zone. Soldiers in every step, barbed wire, emplacements, checkpoints and silent people scared to talk it`s Kurd language on public.

Turkish economy depend on "pussy footing" Europe and other foreign investment (Japan and USA). European companies build a factory and plants in Turkey, not Turkish itself because they don`t have any potential to produce anything without foreign help. Only a food products. Outside NATO and with Islamist aggressive government on top all this investment will escape immediately, be sure about it. Tha`s why Erdogan is cautious to this moment, but obviously he begin to lose correct idea of things from awhile.

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2010 at 03:00
I will tell you who are oppressed in the Middle East --Its easy anyone who isn't a Suuni Muslim male in Sunni Lands or a Shia Muslim male in Shia lands-- If you aren't the same relgion and a Man your screwed in the Middle East:

How about the women in Sadi Arabia. Lucky for them the Saud government is stepping in.

From the Economist Politics this week:

In an attempt to stop child marriages, Saudi Arabia began issuing wedding contracts in which the bride’s age must now be given. The move was prompted by cases of girls as young as eight being married off to much older men.

Or how about the Ahmadis

Heavily armed men stormed two mosques in the Pakistani city of Lahore, detonating bombs and killing more than 90 Ahmadis, members of a persecuted Muslim sect. Other gunmen attacked a hospital three days later, apparently trying to free one of the mosques’ attackers. Police blamed the “Punjabi Taliban”.

How about Justice that is oppressed:

A 48-year-old Somali begs for his life as he is partially
buried in preparation for stoning over adultery by an
Islamic court.  (Needless-to-say,
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/images/stoning-somalia2-sm.jpg - he wasn't successful ).

Put the Numbers in Perspective

More people are killed by Islamists each year than in all 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition combined. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition - source )

Islamic terrorists murder more people every day than the Ku Klux Klan has in the last 50 years. (
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/shipp/lynchingyear.html - source )

More civilians were killed by Muslim extremists in two hours on September 11th than in the 36 years of sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland. ( http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/violence/death95w.htm - source )

19 Muslim hijackers killed more innocents in two hours on September 11th than the number of American criminals executed in the last 65 years. ( http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/ESPYdate.pdf - source )

You have to love the Liberal attitude in the Middle East--These are the guys the Shield of D defends?

But back to the Jews--Yes they mucked it all up, yes they were heavy handed, they could have handled this better but:

Harmony is not just a dream

Israel is caught in a vicious circle. The more its hawks think the outside world will always hate it, the more it tends to shoot opponents first and ask questions later, and the more it finds that the world is indeed full of enemies. Though Mr Netanyahu has reluctantly agreed to freeze settlement-building and is negotiating indirectly with Palestinians, he does not give the impression of being willing to give ground in the interests of peace.

Yet the prospect of a deal between Palestinians and Israelis still beckons. The contours of a two-state solution remain crystal-clear: an adjusted border, with Israel keeping some of the biggest settlements while Palestine gets equal swaps of land; Jerusalem shared as a capital, with special provisions for the holy places; and an admission by Palestinians that they cannot return to their old homes in what became Israel in 1948, with some theoretical right of return acknowledged by Israel and a small number of refugees let back without threatening the demographic preponderance of Jewish Israelis.

And what about Hamas, if Israel is to lift the siege of Gaza? How should Israel handle an authoritarian movement that refuses to recognise it and has in the past readily used terror? One answer is to ask the UN to oversee the flow of goods and people going in and out of Gaza. That is hardly a cure-all, but Hamas would become the world’s problem neighbour, not just Israel’s. The Arab world must do more, pressing Hamas to disavow violence, publicly pledge not to resume the firing of rockets at Israeli civilians and revoke its anti-Semitic charter. The West, led by Mr Obama, should call for Hamas to be drawn into negotiations, both with its rival Palestinians on the West Bank as well as with Israel, even if it does not immediately recognise the Jewish state. It is still the party the Palestinians elected in 2006 to represent all of them. None of this will be easy. But the present stalemate is bloodily leading nowhere.

Israel is a regional hub of science, business and culture. Despite its harsh treatment of Palestinians in the land it occupies, it remains a vibrant democracy. But its loneliness, partly self-inflicted, is making it a worse place, not just for the Palestinians but also for its own people. If only it can replenish its stock of idealism and common sense before it is too late.

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2010 at 03:06
Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

Persons like Shield of Dardania (-Great Turkey?!) spread official Turkish propaganda in this forum not for the first time. I`m amazed about their awareness in this matter from one hand, and totally turning a blind eyes to the obvious things from another.

Did anybody going to Turkey outside big cities of Istanbul, Ankara, Bursa and Izmir? Situation is very very miserable! There is numerous villages without electricity, water supply and sanitation in 21 century. People work on the fields with horses and steer, like they did hundreds of years before. Many send their children to work as cheap labor all across Europe (especially Germany) and lived almost for the money they bring back to them. Every village have at least one mosque and many people can`t read, but know Quran by rote absolute brainwashed from Islamist priests.  Is this your modern country, seeking to measure forces with Europe!?  If you go forward in easternmost Turkish region, you will see is a military zone. Soldiers in every step, barbed wire, emplacements, checkpoints and silent people scared to talk it`s Kurd language on public.

Turkish economy depend on "pussy footing" Europe and other foreign investment (Japan and USA). European companies build a factory and plants in Turkey, not Turkish itself because they don`t have any potential to produce anything without foreign help. Only a food products. Outside NATO and with Islamist aggressive government on top all this investment will escape immediately, be sure about it. Tha`s why Erdogan is cautious to this moment, but obviously he begin to lose correct idea of things from awhile.
People still work on some farms, in certain places, with horses and steer even in Germany, England and France. Even in certain places in Switzerland, the country with the highest per capita income in the world. What's the big deal about that? That's what you keep a workhorse for, to work your farm.

Learning the Quran by memory is an Islamic tradition that has gone on for over 14 centuries. Why do you have a problem with that? It's a tradition some folks still like to follow voluntarily. There is a certain method to it, it needs a certain special ability, not to mention commitment, and not every Tom, Dick and Harry can do it even if he's crazy about it. There is absolutely no compulsion to it. Absolutely none at all.

You have to understand. Turkey is a country that was at one time almost totally crushed by the combined might of Russia, Britain and France. With countries like Greece and Bulgaria making opportunistic attempts to do some land grabbing. It's a miracle that they've actually survived to the extent they did. It's only natural that a country with Turkey's experience is extremely sensitive regarding matters pertaining to territorial integrity.

Turkey's GDP (nominal) for 2009 was over US$600 billion, and per capita income (nominal) was almost US$9,000. Translated into Purchasing-Power-Parity (PPP) terms, its GDP was close to US$900 billion, while its per capita income was close to US$13,000. For an Asian country, okay, Eurasian if you like, with negligible oil resources, that's rather quite impressive economic data, one has to admit. Don't you think so?

For comparison:
Mexico, per capita income, nominal: US$10,000, PPP: US$14,500. Brazil, per capita income, nominal: US$8,000, PPP: US$10,500.

I agree, things perhaps can be better there. But they aren't that bad either.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2010 at 03:08

People still work on some farms, in certain places, with horses and steer even in Germany, England and France. Even is certain places in Switzerland, the country with the highest per capita income in the world. What's the big deal about that?

Learning the Quran by memory is an Islamic tradition that has gone on for over centuries. Why do you have a problem with that? It's a tradition some folks still like to follow voluntarily. There is absolutely no compulsion to it. Absolutely none at all.

You have to understand. Turkey is a country that was at one time almost totally crushed by the combined might of Russia, Britain and France. With countries like Greece and Bulgaria making opportunistic attempts to do some land grabbing. It's a miracle that they've actually survived to the extent they did. It's only natural that a country with Turkey's experience is extremely sensitive regarding matters pertaining to territorial integrity.

Turkey's GDP (nominal) for 2009 was over US$600 billion, and per capita income (nominal) was almost US$9,000. Translated into Purchasing-Power-Parity (PPP) terms, its GDP was close to US$900 billion, while its per capita income was close to US$13,000. For an Asian country, okay, Eurasian if you like, with negligible oil resources, that's rather quite impressive economic data, one has to admit. Don't you think so?

I take it you didn't read the post above.

Here is some more of Islams awesome treatment of women:

After military conquests, Muhammad would dole out captured women as http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Muhammad/myths-mu-rape.htm - war prizes to his men.  In at least one case, he advocated that they be raped in front of their husbands.  Captured women were made into sex slaves by the very men who killed their husbands and brothers.  There are four Qur’anic verses in which "Allah" makes clear that a Muslim master has full sexual access to his female slaves, yet there is not one that prohibits rape.

The Qur’an gives Muslim men permission to beat their wives for disobedience.  It plainly says that husbands are “a degree above” wives.  The Hadith says that women are intellectually inferior, and that they comprise the majority of Hell’s occupants.

Under Islamic law, a man may divorce his wife at the drop of a hat.  If he does this twice, then wishes to remarry her, she must first have sex with another man.  Men are exempt from such degradations.

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2010 at 03:15
Females as spoils of war has been an ongoing phenomenon for millenia. Everybody knows that. Don't you pretend you don't. Not only the Arabs did it. It's happened everywhere, all throughout history. In Greece, Persia, Rome, Byzantium, you name it.

It couldn't be simply stopped in short order. It had become ingrained as a part of military culture. But the practice was progressively phased out in Islam.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2010 at 05:40

Females as spoils of war has been an ongoing phenomenon for millenia. Everybody knows that. Don't you pretend you don't. Not only the Arabs did it. It's happened everywhere, all throughout history. In Greece, Persia, Rome, Byzantium, you name it.

It couldn't be simply stopped in short order. It had become ingrained as a part of military culture. But the practice was progressively phased out in Islam.

The differnce is the west has evolved in The Mid east women are mere property-- When the Taliban blows up little girls becuase they want to go to school, that should tell you something. They don't want an educated female population, why you ask---Becuase women tend to be a liberalizing force in the reform of governments.

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2010 at 13:02

For comparison:
Mexico, per capita income, nominal: US$10,000, PPP: US$14,500. Brazil, per capita income, nominal: US$8,000, PPP: US$10,500.

In your unique style you try to compare Brazil with Turkey?! Be careful because Brazil is just like entire continent. There is not only the Amazon, but also regions with standard of living absolute equal to European or North American. With huge European population. Germany is a major weakness to every Turkish citizen. Ask anyone Turk where he want to work and to live and hear the answer. I can imagine how would react one ordinary Turk when he see photo`s of this Brazilian cities

He will prepare to emigrate immediately with a whole family, and soon we often will see Brazilian landscape like this Wink LOL

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2010 at 16:28
Turkey are far more advanced then Brazil, thats for sure.

And what you post are most likely from Kurdish regions.

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2010 at 17:47
Turkey and Brazil are at the same level pretty much, the difference is that Brazil has a much larger population which makes spreading out the wealth harder.

But likewise, because of Brazil's large amount of natural resources and large population, it is set to become a world power, just as China, India, and Russia are.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2010 at 18:18
TGS is right there, India and Brazil are much more likely i nthe next fewdecades to excell as global powers, where as Turkey is not.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Jun-2010 at 23:35

Turkey are far more advanced then Brazil, thats for sure.

And what you post are most likely from Kurdish regions.

Think twice and read more before talk. Brazilian aerospace company http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer - Embraer  is world`s fourth bigger producer of commercial aircraft after Boing, Airbus and Bombardier. Is Turkey produce something like this?

Many Brazilian companies are world leaders in their sector. Like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrobras - Petrobras  (Energy and petrochemicals), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WEG_Industries - WEG Industries  (Industrial equipment and machinery) and  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerdau - Gerdau  (steel). There is also many Brazilian companies which produce their own high-tech products like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradiente - Gradiente  and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravox - Bravox  in computers and electronics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iochpe-Maxion - Iochpe-Maxion , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcopolo_S.A. - Marcopolo  and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troller_Ve%C3%ADculos_Especiais_S/A - Troller  in automaking. Is Turkish company a world leader in any sector? Or to produce anything without joint-venture and know-how purchase?  

Kurds aren`t culpable to all misery and problems in Turkey. The photographs are from villages just outside of Ankara.

I can`t compare India with Brazil, because they are too different. Brazil is a country create from Europeans and somehow European project. India is unique country with long history. Both have huge population, resources and can make power to their own way.

Date Posted: 05-Jun-2010 at 03:01
How about Turkish Airlines? Who are also official sponsor of football teams like Barcelona, Manchester City.

In production and industry, Turkey and Brazil cannot be compared. Turkey are top 20 economy without oil, gas and actually any considerable natural resource.

Just because you hate Turkey, you cannot spread BS.

Date Posted: 05-Jun-2010 at 05:03
Ive flown Turkish Airlines and the food was surprisingly good and the longhaul flights were very comfy and it was at a dman good price too.

Actually you can compare Turkey and Brazil or India for that matter in terms of economy and industry, saying that you can not is just foolishness and laziness to be fair.

I dont hate Turkey, just because one says something that makes Turjey not loog great, or makes it look inferiror to something else doesnt mean you hate it, and its not BS to state that Brazil is set to excell on the world stage much sooner and better than Turkey will. Thats just the way things are because of the fortunate situation that Brazil andindeed India find themselves in.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jun-2010 at 03:36
Ok, maybe Mexico is a better comparison for Turkey than Brazil. Look back at the economic data I posted. Turkey is not far behind Mexico, with a more comparable population. But Mexico is much richer than Turkey in terms of natural resources. Which makes Turkey's economic performance even more impressive.

Turkey will get even better when it increases its economic engagement further with West Asia, Central Asia and East Asia, something which hasn't been fully developed up to this point in time, no thanks to its previous one-sided love affair with Europe.

The Turkey of tomorrow will be a much more multi-directional player. It can no more afford to be besotted with Europe alone. The sooner it realises that and adjust its bearings accordingly, the better.

Guys, today is the era of services and ICT. A country does not need to be a manufacturing heavyweight to advance and grow rich. It's the skills in organisation, management, logistics etc. that are more important to propel the country forward. In relation to these, Turkey's Ottoman experience as an imperial power will be an immense asset, if it's channeled and exploited in the right way.

Of course, manufacturing prowess helps, but it's no more the end-all-and-be-all of economic development. BTW, Turkey is also no mean player in the building and construction sector. Its construction firms have won and completed serious-scale construction jobs throughout Europe.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jun-2010 at 01:53
Soddy Haven't you been banned yet--Nothing you say is ever right. So I just dismiss you out of hand.

What about the Christians in the Middle east just 30 years ago they made up 20% of the middle east now just 5%

The document said relations between Christians and Muslims were often difficult “principally because Muslims make no distinction between religion and politics, thereby relegating Christians to the precarious position of being considered noncitizens, despite the fact that they were citizens of their countries long before the rise of Islam. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/world/europe/07pope.html?ref=global-home - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/world/europe/07pope.html?ref=global-home

So if we follow the same logic that returns parts of Israel to the Palistinians, I want to see Christian lands returned also.

Oh by the way here are the latest updates:

2010.06.05 (Basilan, Philippines) - Abu Sayyaf members kidnap and murder three villagers.
2010.06.05 (Kandahar, Afghanistan) - Muslim terrorists set off a bicycle bomb, killing a bystander.
2010.06.05 (Marib, Yemen) - An al-Qaeda ambush leaves three locals dead.
2010.06.04 (Malgobek, Ingushetia) - An attack on a shop by Islamic militants leaves one person dead.
2010.06.04 (Sagapshi, Ingushetia) - A grocery store clerk is gunned down by Islamists who plant a bomb that then kills a rescue worker.
2010.06.04 (Datta Khel, Pakistan) - An elderly man is beheaded by Religion of Peace zealots.
Date Country City Killed Injured Description
2010.06.05 Afghanistan Kandahar 1 15 Muslim terrorists set off a bicycle bomb, killing a bystander.
2010.06.05 Philippines Basilan 3 0 Abu Sayyaf members kidnap and murder three villagers.
2010.06.05 Yemen Marib 3 0 An al-Qaeda ambush leaves three locals dead.
2010.06.04 Iraq Mosul 2 4 Terrorsts murder two civilians with a roadside bomb.
2010.06.04 Dagestan Makhachkala 1 1 Muslim radicals shoot a rival imam to death in front of his mosque.
2010.06.04 Iraq Missan 2 2 Two Iraqis are killed when Muslim radicals rocket an airport.
2010.06.04 Pakistan Miranshah 1 0 A civilian is captured by the Taliban and shot to death.
2010.06.04 Pakistan Datta Khel 1 0 An elderly man is beheaded by Religion of Peace zealots.
2010.06.04 Ingushetia Sagapshi 2 21 A grocery store clerk is gunned down by Islamists who plant a bomb that then kills a rescue worker.
2010.06.04 Ingushetia Malgobek 1 16 An attack on a shop by Islamic militants leaves one person dead.
2010.06.03 Turkey Iskenderun 1 0 A Catholic bishop is stabbed to death by a Muslim who says it was Allah's will.
2010.06.03 Pakistan Quetta 2 0 A man murders his sister and her lover for having 'illicit relations'.
2010.06.03 Thailand Pattani 1 0 A Buddhist schoolteacher is gunned down by Religion of Peace proponents.
2010.06.03 Iraq Abu Ghraib 8 0 Eight victims of a Shiite death squad are found in a mass grave.
2010.06.03 Iraq Sinjar 4 14 Four people are killed when Islamic fundamentalist bombers target and liquor stores.
2010.06.02 Iraq Mosul 1 0 Islamic militants kidnap a local soldier and slit his throat.
2010.06.02 Iraq Abu Ghraib 1 3 A Jihad bomb blast leaves one Iraqi dead.
2010.06.02 Afghanistan Nawzad 4 0 Two young boys are among four civilians taken out by Islamist roadside bomb.
2010.06.02 Afghanistan Marjah 4 0 Four civilians are killed in their home during a Taliban ambush on a security patrol.
2010.06.01 Pakistan Karachi 1 0 A Shia is brutally shot to death in a sectarian attack.
2010.06.01 Pakistan Mohmand 3 0 Three civilians are gunned down by Taliban militants.
2010.06.01 Iraq Mosul 3 1 Mujahid successfully kill three Iraqis with an incendiary bomb.
2010.06.01 Pakistan Muslimabad 2 0 A woman and her new husband are murdered by her former in-laws in an honor killing.

Date Posted: 07-Jun-2010 at 03:31

Guys, today is the era of services and ICT. A country does not need to be a manufacturing heavyweight to advance and grow rich. It's the skills in organisation, management, logistics etc. that are more important to propel the country forward. In relation to these, Turkey's Ottoman experience as an imperial power will be an immense asset, if it's channeled and exploited in the right way.

Of course, manufacturing prowess helps, but it's no more the end-all-and-be-all of economic development. BTW, Turkey is also no mean player in the building and construction sector. Its construction firms have won and completed serious-scale construction jobs throughout Europe.

Geee, Turkey is the great player in construction sector! I personally refuse to live in building construct from Turkish company, because it`s life hazard. They too much like to economize materials like reinforcing bars and use one of the lowest quality cement in the world. For reference remember Izmit earthquake 1999:

Golcuk's mosque remains intact, while surrounding residential
buildings have all been rased to the ground

http://www.eas.slu.edu/Earthquake_Center/TURKEY/xx1.jpg">x1.jpg (10013 bytes) http://www.eas.slu.edu/Earthquake_Center/TURKEY/xx2.jpg">x2.jpg (11459 bytes) http://www.eas.slu.edu/Earthquake_Center/TURKEY/xx3.jpg">x3.jpg (11434 bytes)

http://www.eas.slu.edu/Earthquake_Center/TURKEY/xx4.jpg">x4.jpg (10202 bytes) http://www.eas.slu.edu/Earthquake_Center/TURKEY/xx9.jpg">x9.jpg (11187 bytes) http://www.eas.slu.edu/Earthquake_Center/TURKEY/32.jpg">Image32.jpg (10737 bytes)

http://www.eas.slu.edu/Earthquake_Center/TURKEY/ - http://www.eas.slu.edu/Earthquake_Center/TURKEY/

Shield of Dardania, I wish you to buy an apartament in Turkey and feel an experience of earthquake in the 4th grade Big smile It`ll be cruelly...

Date Posted: 07-Jun-2010 at 19:01
Why not? If my Dardania Darling is with me. When the earth shakes around us, we'd be having our own magnificent quake in our penthouse.Approve

See this beautiful piece of construction.
Oooooo. I bet you can't construct something like this in Bulgaria, even if you take a hundred years. Now then ...

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jun-2010 at 02:57
I`m interested why young East-Asian islamist like you (you proved it in almost all your previous posts in this forum) worship modern Turkish state so much? Because Turkey is direct successor of long dead Ottoman empire and Ottoman Sultan was the last Caliph of all Sunni muslims? You talking about Turkish imperialist future, but you forget about grim reality which is quite different from your wishes my friend. Turkey is absolute nothing without European and western support and even now Turkey is far low from their standard. It`s very hard to reach it. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk created modern Turkey as western copy and put Turkey on western way. Turkey don`t have enough resources to be an empire anymore in this world order. Every turn back will destroy it. Crazy leaders like Erdogan can`t do anything and they will obviously end worse. Turkey have some success today not because follow Taliban lifestyle, and you can use computer and mouse not on account of any Taliban аchievements. I`m not right?

Posted By: ranjithvnambiar
Date Posted: 08-Jul-2010 at 02:04
Its Jews I think.. 
Its "Fight or Perish" conditionfor Jews 

Posted By: ranjithvnambiar
Date Posted: 08-Jul-2010 at 02:26

They Preserved their Religion in Hindu India.There are More Zoroastrians(Parsis) in India than anywhere else in the world.

According to Parsi lore they spent nineteen years on the island of Diu, after which they set sail again and landed in Sanjan also on the west coast of India, either in the year 936AD or in 716AD

Permission to settle was granted by Jadhav Rana, The Hindu ruler. These newly arrived strangers were called Parsis - to denote the region from where they had come - Pars, (Persia), once the birthplace of mighty empires, now the distant dream of a band of refugees.

Hindu India was kind to the refugees from Pars. They suffered no persecution, no  http://www.the-south-asian.com/april2001/Parsis-atash_behram-udwada.jpg - file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/D36160/My%20Documents/Miscellaneous/Parsis-atash_behram-udwada.jpg">Parsis-atash_behram-udwada.jpg (10844 bytes) http://www.the-south-asian.com/april2001/Parsis-atash_behram-udwada.jpg - fear.They were allowed to prosper and grow. They built the first fire temple in AD 721, installed with due ceremony the holy fire which they called the Iranshah, the King of Iran; lived largely peaceful, obscure existences in various villages and towns of Gujarat as farmers, weavers and carpenters.  

For about three hundred years after landing at Sanjan, Parsis are said to have lived in peace and without molestation. By that time their numbers had greatly increased. Many moved from Sanjan to other parts of India with their families: to Cambay, Navsari, Anklesvar, Variav, Vankaner and Surat in the north, and to Thane and Chaul in the south. Pockets of Parsis were also found in Upper India, mentioned by early travellers: in Sind, Dehra-Dun and Punjab.

Whenever they left Sanjan to settle elsewhere, they carried a part of the Iranshah with them-the first fire they had consecrated on Indian soil. But not all climes were as hospitable as Sanjan. In Sind, Ibrahim the Ghaznavid perceived the Parsis as a colony of fire-worshippers and attacked them. In Thana, which was ruled by the Portuguese, they were seen as idolaters and put upon by missionaries to convert to Christianity.

However, Islam did follow them even to India. In 1465 Sanjan was sacked and destroyed by the Muslim Sultanate. Parsis fought valiantly, side by side with their Hindu benefactors. Many lost their lives, but the priests managed to rescue the sacred fire and carried it safely to a cave on a hill, where, protected by jungle and sea, they guarded it for the next twelve years.

Though they didn't completely lose touch with the Persian language, Gujarati (their version of it), started to become their mother tongue. They adopted many Hindu customs. Parsi women dressed like their Indian counterparts. They even wore nose rings.

Parsis are a people who uprooted themselves and moved to a different world to save 

their religion. Parsis migrated to India one thousand years ago. The Parsi experience is 

about dilemmas that most minority communities face; questions about religion and 

race, survival and extinction, assimilation and identity, tradition and the modern 

world. There are only 100,000 Parsis in the world today, mostly in India, particularly 

in Bombay. Demographically, they are a dying community-our deaths outweigh our 

births. Parsis like to quote a remark that Mahatma Gandhi once reportedly made, "In 

numbers Parsis are beneath contempt, but in contribution, beyond compare." Out of 

an Indian population of more than one billion, Parsis number a mere 76,000. 

Tatas theBiggest business conglomerate of India is chaired by parsis.Godrej  & Wadia Group two other business houses of India are also owned by parsis.

Hanging Gardens and temple of silence of Bombay are famous.Temple of Silence is a Parsi Fire temple.

Posted By: laurastifence
Date Posted: 10-May-2014 at 01:44
Unfortunately, it is true!!!

Posted By: Ollios
Date Posted: 10-May-2014 at 11:07
I don't know something about Baluchis. What is their issue?

Do they fight for independence? and in where Iran or Pakistan (or in both countries)

Pakistan is a country like a countries in new world, isn't it? There is no dominant nation, so what is the problem?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Major_ethnic_groups_of_Pakistan_in_1980.jpg

-------------
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com