Print Page | Close Window

A Macedonian village in Iran

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2814
Printed Date: 12-May-2024 at 22:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: A Macedonian village in Iran
Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Subject: A Macedonian village in Iran
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 02:37

People of this village are muslims and speak Persian but claim to be Macedonians, it can be possible because the recent discoveries in this village show that it was a large Macedonian city in the ancient times.

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/IR/15/Eskandarabad.html - Eskandarabad (Built by Alexander) is a small village in Khuzestan province between the ancient cities of Susa and Persepolis and near the modern city of Masjed Soleiman.

Persian article: http://www.ichodoc.ir/p-a/CHANGED/121/html/121_43.HTM - http://www.ichodoc.ir/p-a/CHANGED/121/html/121_43.HTM

Temples of Athen Hipia (sp?) and Heracles

Macedonain horsemen who have Goddesses with themselves! (I can't understand what they are but it says they are certainly Macedonians [not Greeks] because they have worn hats which are similar to French berets! Archaeologist have found several of them in the temples of Athen Hipia!)

Macedonian Goddess?

Statue of Heracles with a lion, Archaeological Museum of Susa

Macedonian hero, probably Heracles, http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/ - British Museum

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Jazz
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 03:55
"Sikander" is the Indic version of the name "Alexander" and is how Alexander of Macedon is refered to in India.

So the name "Eskandarabad" as a Persian name for a city named after Alexander sounds about right....

-------------
http://www.forums.internationalhockey.net/index.php?/index.php?referrerid=8 - International Hockey Forums

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 12:54
Btw, what does the suffix 'abad' mean again? (I used to know but forgot)
'Devine abode' or something like that?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: ramin
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 13:05
Abâd means "construced". when it comes after a noun it becomes "construced by X"

-------------
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2005 at 13:48
Eh, way off.
OK, so for names like Ahmadabad and Allahabad and even Faisalabad makes sense. Islamabad was to be the new capital of the Newly created Ismalic Republic of Pakistan.
Hyder? (there are two of them AFAIK). Who was that?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 02:28

The more interesting thing is that near this Macedonian village, there is a Roman village!

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/IR/15/Qeysarabad.html - Queysarabad (built by Caesar) is also in Khuzestan province between cities of Dezful and Shushtar, we know that, http://www.cua.ac.ir/about/history.htm - as you can read here , After Shapur the First, the Sassanid King, conquered the Roman Emperor, commanded the Roman POWs to build a new town in a location that was 18 Kilometers South-East the present Dezful city.

About Shushtar: http://www.livius.org/a/iran/shusthar/shushtar.html - http://www.livius.org/a/iran/shusthar/shushtar.html (In fact, it is the most easterly building constructed by Romans.)

Roman Bridge:

Roman watermills:

Sika, A Roman pleasure ground:

Caesar Dam:

and the masterpiece of the Romans, wonderful waterfalls:

-------------

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 05-Apr-2005 at 05:07

Originally posted by Cywr

Eh, way off.
OK, so for names like Ahmadabad and Allahabad and even Faisalabad makes sense. Islamabad was to be the new capital of the Newly created Ismalic Republic of Pakistan.
Hyder? (there are two of them AFAIK). Who was that?

Hyder is a name which means Lion i think

and there is Hyderabad in Pakistan and there is one in India

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 15:06

I read also that Kandahar in Afghanistan is supposed to be "Alexandar" as well, can someone confirm?

I'm not suprised though, numerous Afghan words are the same in Greek, Ex. Water-melon is called "Karpouz" in both parts of the world

-------------

Posted By: iskenderani
Date Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 15:41

they are certainly Macedonians [not Greeks]

I am sure that in Eskandarabad  they will find inscriptions of the ancient Macedonian ( Slavic ) language....Will u post them too ???

Isk.

Posted By: Herodotus
Date Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 20:55
interesting...

-------------
"Dieu est un comédien jouant à une assistance trop effrayée de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire

Date Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 14:34
Originally posted by azimuth

Hyder is a name which means Lion i think

and there is Hyderabad in Pakistan and there is one in India

Not sure about the local languages, but in koine Greek (Alexander's language) Hyder may be related to "Yder" which (as far as I can recall) meant "water"

-------------

Posted By: Istor the Macedonian
Date Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 14:20

Well, dear Shahmiri, Macedonians called that strange hat as "kausia" ( êáõóßá) for it pretected them from sun hot rays. Ask eny Macedonian to tell you about this word.

Do you know anything about "Yauna Takabara" inscription found in Iran? I mean, do you know where is the stele sat ?

-------------
Istor
Macedonian, therefore Greek!

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 03:50

"Yauna Takabara".....is this an example of the Macedonian language ???

As far as anyone knows the word "êáõóéá" is absolutely a Greek one...So  , according to Istor , Macedonias were speaking Greek , which makes them Greeks , not Navahos , or Slavs , or Finnish....

Interesting...

Isk.

P.S....The word  "êáõóéá" does not mean that it was protecting them from the hot sun-rays ....The word means "burned" coming from the word "êáõóç" which means "burn"

So , the land was called "êáõóéá" because it was a very hot one...

That is to clarify the meaning of words.

Isk.

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 06:34

Yauna Takabara

says the line in the list of European lands occupied by Persian King at -513. It means "Ionian whit a helmet like a buckler" in Persian. At that time the ONLY Ionian European people occupied by Persians were Macedonians. So, Macedonians were Yauna: Ionian: Greek.

http://www.livius.org/y/yauna/yauna.html - http://www.livius.org/y/yauna/yauna.html

-------------
Istor

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 08:21

But , of course . By 513 B.C ( Before Christ ) all Asia Minor and northern Greece was occupied by Persians..

About 480 b.C they tried for the first time to occupy all of Greece , but eventually they failed...

But by this time , 513 B.C there were no Greek villages in Persia. So the village mentioned above , must be a result of Alexander's conquests...

Isk.

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 11:07
Originally posted by Istor the Macedonian

Yauna Takabara

says the line in the list of European lands occupied by Persian King at -513. It means "Ionian whit a helmet like a buckler" in Persian. At that time the ONLY Ionian European people occupied by Persians were Macedonians. So, Macedonians were Yauna: Ionian: Greek.

http://www.livius.org/y/yauna/yauna.html - http://www.livius.org/y/yauna/yauna.html

From the link you gave....

# Darius proudly wrote in the inscription on his tomb at http://www.livius.org/na-nd/naqsh-i-rustam/naqsh-i-rustam.html - Naqš-i Rustam that he had conquered the Yaunâ takabarâ, the 'Greeks with sun hats', a reference to the Macedonian headwear. #

The traditional Macedonian hat's name was "kausia" as someone said before,  which derives from the greek word "Καύσις", meaning burning or even heat.

The worth noticing from all these, is that Persians dont mention Macedonians in the catalogue of their subject people as distinct people, but they mention them as Yaunâ takabarâ, 'Greeks with sun hats'... therefore confirming Macedonians were Greek. Even Persians knew Macedonians were Greek.

-------------

Posted By: Alexander of Macedon
Date Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 19:27

Very interesting,i've heard to that same vilage where the peoples claming that they are Macedonians(not greeks) exist and on the territory of Afghanistan.

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

People of this village are muslims and speak Persian but claim to be Macedonians, it can be possible because the recent discoveries in this village show that it was a large Macedonian city in the ancient times.

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/IR/15/Eskandarabad.html - Eskandarabad (Built by Alexander) is a small village in Khuzestan province between the ancient cities of Susa and Persepolis and near the modern city of Masjed Soleiman.

Persian article: http://www.ichodoc.ir/p-a/CHANGED/121/html/121_43.HTM - http://www.ichodoc.ir/p-a/CHANGED/121/html/121_43.HTM

Temples of Athen Hipia (sp?) and Heracles

Macedonain horsemen who have Goddesses with themselves! (I can't understand what they are but it says they are certainly Macedonians [not Greeks] because they have worn hats which are similar to French berets! Archaeologist have found several of them in the temples of Athen Hipia!)

Macedonian Goddess?

Statue of Heracles with a lion, Archaeological Museum of Susa

Macedonian hero, probably Heracles, http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/ - British Museum

Posted By: Phallanx
Date Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 19:51
Very interesting,i've heard to that same vilage where the peoples claming that they are Macedonians(not greeks) exist and on the territory of Afghanistan.

You are refering to  the KALASH.
Sorry to break the news to you, but they do consider themselves as Hellines, decendants of Alexander's army.

-------------
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.

Date Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 20:10

I don't know i've never been there to speak with them but it's possible that the peoples of that village are decendants of the greeks who were in Macedonian Army(as a hostages) and settled in todays Afghanistan to don't uprise against Macedonia and Macedonians.

Originally posted by Phallanx

You are refering to  the KALASH.
Sorry to break the news to you, but they do consider themselves as Hellines, decendants of Alexander's army.

Posted By: Phallanx
Date Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 20:44
(as a hostages)

-------------
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.

Date Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 00:01

Originally posted by Phallanx

(as a hostages)

I have started to think that before becoming a forumer in AE , u would have to prove that u r 18 , or more...

We have started looking at some incretible theories , if not BS .....incredible BS...

Who knows what , another 12 y.o will post here..

( as hostages )....

Yet he forgot to tell us what the heck was Alexander doing , carrying them all the way from Greece , to Afganistan ....

Unbelivable...

Isk.

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 03:26
Originally posted by Alexander of Macedon

I don't know i've never been there to speak with them but it's possible that the peoples of that village are decendants of the greeks who were in Macedonian Army(as a hostages) and settled in todays Afghanistan to don't uprise against Macedonia and Macedonians.

I love these poor Slavic wannabe's and their unique (but quite funny) interpretation of history.

So greeks were hostages in Alexander's army? I guess we have all heard quite many cases where a king appoint rulers in most of his conquered regions from...his hostages!!!

Gosh thank you for the good laugh my FYROMIAN friend...and btw one question...your ancestors Slavs, in Alexander's army what role they had?

I failed to find anything mention them.

Date Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 16:06

Kalash and Kafirs are claiming descedants of five soldiers of Alexander the Great and their customs are undoubtly similar to Ancient Greeks.

Their celebrations have Bacchic elements and their most important celebration is Balomain (Apollo). In other words they combine Dionysiac with Apollonian elements.

Acoustically their speech remind mediteranean dialect and sounds differently from the "heavy" Centro-Asiatic Turanic dialects. They pronounce clearly the consonants (â = b), (è = th), (ñ = r) (ö = f) and (÷ = x) just like in Greece and unlike Slavs who cant.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 16:17

Come on, you participate in a history forum, you are allegedly a historian, and you come with an childish argument which is unworthy of anyone here to pay attention to it. At least use common sense.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 22:19
Yeah I know that it's funny ,then why you were so afraid of showing a documentary about the Macedonians in Aegean part of Macedonia ,called by you FOPOGians Greek Macedonia.Why are you scared from existing a Macedonian people you think that you are fighting to show was the nationality of Alexander The Great,you are scared from losing "Greek" Macedonia.

Date Posted: 01-May-2005 at 02:15

Yeah I know that it's funny ,then why you were so afraid of showing a documentary about the Macedonians in Aegean part of Macedonia ,called by you FOPOGians Greek Macedonia.Why are you scared from existing a Macedonian people you think that you are fighting to show was the nationality of Alexander The Great,you are scared from losing "Greek" Macedonia.

For ur info , a political party of SlavoMacedonians , participated in the elections .It was called "Rainbow" or something like that...it took 4.000 votes ...is this the population with wich u will "take" Macedonia ?? Or u r counting the Albanians too ??

There is no fighting about Alexander .... He was speaking Greek , he was writing in Greek , hw worshiped Greek gods , well u can call him an Eskimo  if u like , but he was definitely Greek , from all points of view..

All in all ur post in uncomprehensible and full of trash...

Give the guy a lollipop and suggest him that its better to suck this and not his finger....

Isk.

Date Posted: 01-May-2005 at 04:46

What is more funny is the fact that every now and then, a Slavo-skopian wannabe will visit A.E just to  spread his petty propagandistic agenda.

Obviously you are the greatest proof of it, if someone looks at your posts. In just 4 posts you proved that your ignorance about history is Encyclopedic, you have serious problems of rationality and you are trying to inflame topics just to fulfil your political propaganda.

This is something anyone can notice from the irrelevant changing of the topic's subject to province of Macedonia in Greece.

Continue to entertain us!!! Seems that its the only thing you are good on it.

Date Posted: 01-May-2005 at 04:49

Btw you missed to reply to my question, what do your brethrens Slavs have to do with Ancient Macedonians and Alexander??

If its a hard question for you, let me know to help you a bit, discovering your Slavic ancestors roots.

Date Posted: 01-May-2005 at 05:12

Alexander,

There are about 2.5 million Macedonian people living in Macedonia ( not FYROPM). We speak, learn, tech and write our Macedonian (Greek ) dialect and we have many-many Macedonian unions, groups, associations, teams ..... and we are proud to declare Macedonians. What are you talking about ?? What is the language we deny to hear ?

Do you, by any chance, call that SlavoSkopian language, the known Bulgarian dialect, as Macedonian ?? Yes? Are you kidding my chum ? What is Macedonian about it ??

Dear Cassandra, how do you know about Kalash pronounciation? What is the source ?

-------------
Istor

Date Posted: 01-May-2005 at 07:21
Originally posted by Istor the Macedonian

Dear Cassandra, how do you know about Kalash pronounciation? What is the source ?

It is written in several books about Kalash and Kafirs. There have been a few British expeditions for military purposes in the region of Kafiristan as we learn from Britanicca Encyclopedia of 1911.

First one was under the commandment of colonel Lockhart in 1885 but it failed. The second one, and most famous, was under the leadership of Sir George Robertson (year is dubious...most sources claim 1889/90) whom his informations are the best source about Kafirs. He noticed many similarities between the customs and the language of Kafirs with the ancient Greeks.

They call the 'lamb'  ameo---> (greek amnos), 'tunic'  is called heo---> (gr heton), 'name' is called nom---> (gr onoma), 'blood' is called ema---> (gr ema).

Their most important celebration is Kaomo which reminds Dionysiac Komo. Their language is a mixture of Sanscritic, Persian and old Greek.

Their customs remain the same through ages, having great similarities with ancient Greek customs, even in the woship of their gods who have identical names to ancient greek 12 gods. (Dias-Zeus ---> Di Zau, Aphrodite ----> Frodait, Satiros ---> Sagirkos)

-------------

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 03-May-2005 at 17:38
The Kalash speak an Iranic dialect, I think the possibility that they were Iranian auxiliaries in Alexanders army is more feasible than them being simply Macedonian Greeks.

-------------

Posted By: Harry Potter
Date Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 23:05

hi,

a friend told me abouth this forum and topic and... wow, Im amazed. I remember few years ago it was on the news about some people in Afganistan who claimed to be Macedonians, it was in all newspapers here in Macedonia. Now u say in Iran there r Macedonians too. Great!

-------------
Macedonian swear in 1903 wars: With the blood we shed all over Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan ‘Freedom or Death!”

Date Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 23:10
Originally posted by Aeolus

Gosh thank you for the good laugh my FYROMIAN friend...and btw one question...your ancestors Slavs, in Alexander's army what role they had?

who cares for the slavs? r any slavs here? why r u bringing up this slav thing when we have no slavs?

Ofcaurse that the slavs werent in Alexander's army and the most important, the slavs r not ancestors of the Macedonians!!!!

-------------
Macedonian swear in 1903 wars: With the blood we shed all over Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan ‘Freedom or Death!”

Posted By: strategos
Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 01:23
Originally posted by Harry Potter

who cares for the slavs? r any slavs here? why r u bringing up this slav thing when we have no slavs?

Ofcaurse that the slavs werent in Alexander's army and the most important, the slavs r not ancestors of the Macedonians!!!!

So you are telling me you are not of slavic origin, and the FYROM is not slavic?

-------------
http://theforgotten.org/intro.html

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 10:23
Originally posted by Harry Potter

Tsk tsk Fyromski are you denying your roots??

Fyromski, it seems u should stop whatever drugs u r into asap. It doesnt help u a bit as u see. Noone till now claimed slavs are the ancestors of Macedonians but some funny characters do claim that Slavs are the descendants of Macedonians.

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 20:47

Originally posted by strategos

So you are telling me you are not of slavic origin, and the FYROM is not slavic?

ofcaurse Im not. If I have a slavic origin then I have roman, turkish and bulgarian as well. All those civilizations had conquired Macedonia through centuries and all of them left a mark of their presence

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 23:33

Hrm, slavic language and slightly changed writing from Bulgarian.. Been genetically proven that you are a slavic people, very much Bulgairan.. but you deny you are slavic?

"We are Slavs who came to this area in the sixth century ... we are not descendants of the ancient Macedonians."
(from the Foreign Information Service Daily Report, Eastern Europe, February 26, 1992, p. 35. )

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians. That's who we are! We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia. The ancient Macedonians no longer exist, they had disappeared from history long time ago. Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century (A.D)."
(from the Toronto Star newspaper, March 15, 1992)

The historic truth is that the Slavs descented into the region not before the 6th century long after ancient Macedonia was homogenized with the rest of Greece. They don't have any historical cultural or linguistic ties with ancient Macedonia and they would be realy foolish if they officialy claimed that they did. There is no historic or archaeological evidence connecting them with ancient Macedonia.

I've heard alot, but not FYROMians denying their slavic roots!

-------------

Posted By: TheodoreFelix
Date Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 02:33
Strategos, word of advice. People like him quiet down faster when their crap is ignored. If people choose not to aknowledge the post, the poster cannot follow up. This should obviously be done in a rational sense though.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 03:12

Strategos wrote: "Hrm, slavic language and slightly changed writing from Bulgarian.. Been genetically proven that you are a slavic people, very much Bulgairan.. but you deny you are slavic?"

"The historic truth is that the Slavs descented into the region not before the 6th century long after ancient Macedonia was homogenized with the rest of Greece. They don't have any historical cultural or linguistic ties with ancient Macedonia and they would be realy foolish if they officialy claimed that they did. There is no historic or archaeological evidence connecting them with ancient Macedonia."

Well if this guy is a general somebody shoot me, this is the first time i have heard that Bulgarians are Slavs, i thought they were a Mongolid(Tatar) people who spoke a Mongolian language not a Slavic dialect, a if we are speaking of Slavs, Slavic tribes settled all across the Balkans from Romania to the tip of the Peloponessus and including the island of Kriti and parts of Western Turkey,if modern day Greeks (Romii) think they are descendants of ancient Hellenes they should think twice, who denying there roots here, and why are there mentioning of FYROM, SKOPIANS and SLAVS in this topic which is " A MACEDONIAN VILLAGE IN IRAN ". How about some serious descusions here...........and one other thing

"Iskender Bey ALBO" stop sucking up...

Date Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 03:23

Sir, u have two posts and your telling me how to do it?  

I'll take your adice bey albo

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 03:37

Originally posted by Agema

Well if this guy is a general somebody shoot me, this is the first time i have heard that Bulgarians are Slavs, i thought they were a Mongolid(Tatar) people who spoke a Mongolian language not a Slavic dialect,

Bulgarians are Slavs and speak a Slavic dialect, almost identical to Slavomacedonian! Where did you come from, Mars? (unless if you reffer to ancient Bulgarians, in which case this is the truth)

Btw, if you people think I'll let this become another Greek-Fyrom fight, you're wrong! Topic closed until you cool up. Same will hapen to the rest of the threads which head this way!

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com