Print Page | Close Window

'special relationship' rejuvenated??

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Modern History
Forum Discription: World History from 1918 to the 21st century.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26506
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 22:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 'special relationship' rejuvenated??
Posted By: Guests
Subject: 'special relationship' rejuvenated??
Date Posted: 03-Feb-2009 at 20:19

…Hello again… 

..so, is the Anglo-American..er…‘special relationship’ ready to prosper again?..

…..a recent meeting between British Foreign Secretary David Millipede and US Secretary of State Hillary Ride’em Clinton appears to suggest that the United Kingdom-United States love-in looks set to continue…

Clinton and Millipede talking to reporters in Washington, 3rd February 2009

WARNING

HIGH LEVEL OF SYCOPHANCY MAY CAUSE UPSET TO THE SERIOUSLY NORMAL

Hillary Clinton:  I’m delighted to welcome back to the State Department a friend and someone with whom we have a very positive working relationship, Foreign Secretary David Miliband.  Our two countries have stood side by side confronting global challenges for a very long time and we’ve just had a substantive broad based discussion about a number of issues that are facing both the United Kingdom and the United States and the world.

I think it is fair to say and I would underscore this, that we share fundamental values and important fundamental objectives.  It ranges across the fight against terrorism and combating the spread of weapons of mass destruction, to working together to solve the current global financial crisis and ensure that the benefits of a renewed global economy are spread widely.  We’ve worked together and will continue to deepen our working relationship in combating poverty and disease and confronting global climate change. 

We have pledged again to join efforts to achieve a comprehensive solution to the conflict in the Middle East and our combined effort and energies will be directed to that end.

Now it’s often said that the United States and Great Britain have long enjoyed a special relationship.  Well it is certainly special in my mind and one that has proven very productive.  Whoever is in the White House, whichever party in our country, this relationship really stands the test of time and I look forward to working with the Foreign Secretary.

David Miliband:  Well Madam Secretary thank you very much for your very kind remarks and for your hospitality today.  I’m obviously delighted to be here on the day after you were sworn in as Madam Secretary, as Secretary of State, and three months to the day since America voted for change and two weeks to the day since President Obama issued his clarion call not just to the American people, but to the global community to come together to tackle shared challenges.  And now we get down to business and that’s what we’ve done I think today.

I’ve come here today with a very strong commitment from our Prime Minister to work with President Obama, to work with you and to work with all of your colleagues across the whole range of issues that bring us together.  And what’s become clear to me reading your confirmation hearing and everything that you’ve said and knowing your own history is that we are joined by very strong shared values and very strong shared objectives and strong determination to find the right means to achieve them.

And Madam Secretary on a personal note I hope you know the admiration and respect with which you’re held in the United Kingdom.  The record of public service and achievement that you have built up is a unique résumé to bring to the task of bringing, being America’s chief diplomat.  For many years you’ve not just been an ambassador of America, you’ve been an ambassador for America and everything good that it stands for in the world.  And I look forward to working very, very closely with you in the months and years ahead to make sure that our shared aspirations for a safer, more secure, more just planet are delivered.  Thank you very much indeed.

Hillary Clinton:  Thank you so much. Big hugs.

David Miliband:  Thank you, thank you. Love and kisses. xxxx

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/newsroom/latest-news/?view=Speech&id=13218115 - Foreign and Commonwealth Office website

…..here are some additional words on the same subject from Sir Christopher Meyer printed in the Telegraph newspaper, 24th Jan 2009. Sir Christopher Meyer is former British ambassador to Washington. His article is adapted from a lecture given to the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies….

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/4325147/Special-Relationship-still-counts-in-the-Barack-Obama-era.html - telegraph

No place for yes men in special relationship

Our close ties with the US are well placed to endure if we allow for full debate and disagreement, says Christopher Meyer.

“More than any other country, the US has the capacity to impact on, for better or worse, our (British) security and prosperity; our strategic priorities abroad are in many ways filtered through the Anglo-American mesh.”

“If we look at our relationship since 1945, we notice two things: first, that it has oscillated extravagantly between good and bad patches; and, second, that this has had nothing to do with which party was in power in London or Washington. It has always been hard issues that have defined the relationship: whether we have seen eye-to-eye on them or not. This is why there is something pitiful about our party leaders trying to claim Mr Obama’s ideological mantle.”

“It looks as though Mr Obama is going to pursue a foreign policy that is both ambitious and pragmatic, only lightly coated with American exceptionalism; it will gladden the hearts of Britain’s Foreign Office and the chancelleries of Europe.”

“The President will be looking for support from friends and allies for his ambitious agenda. And if we Europeans still look to the US to lead, then the US has every right to look to us for support. The challenge will be to give that support without handing over a blank cheque.”

“One urgent and contentious issue is Afghanistan, where things are not going well. The US and Britain have made common cause in demanding a greater military effort from other Nato allies; and the US will in turn demand from us a greater contribution, as British troops wind down in Iraq and US troops “surge” into Afghanistan.

“It will be difficult to resist Mr Obama in the first flush of his administration. But the British national interest demands that there should be much greater strategic clarity about what all these troops are for. War is the extension of politics by other means.”

Alongside this, most of the speculation about the future of the “special relationship” is so much irrelevant twittering in the dovecotes. Will it survive the transition to Mr Obama? What if, unlike Blair, Gordon Brown isn’t the first foreign leader to get an invitation to Camp David? Will the British be supplanted, heaven forfend, by France in America’s affections? My answer to all this fevered nonsense is “take a cold shower”. The reality is this. The British-American relationship is uniquely close in many areas. Our countries are bound together by a multiplicity of links. This will continue whether the political temperature of the moment is warm or cool.

The notion of a special relationship is fine as a rhetorical device, with its historical and sentimental connotations. But one marvels at the addiction of politicians and commentators to the idea that it brooks no mention of disagreement in public and discourages plain speaking in private. This not only undermines the British national interest; it actually damages the relationship with the US by raising wholly unrealistic expectations of what it can achieve.”

..all the best then..AoO..

Replies:
Posted By: Panther
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 00:10

I've pondered that question for several days and the only conclusion i can come to is... just how important is it to you and the rest of the people in your country? Speaking for myself, i've always held the isles in very high regard, but that is just me!

However... i've read some reports since the US presidential election and if they are anything to go by, then i am afraid Mr. Obama's hopes of domestic and foreign "Change" will sink before it is ever given a chance too swim?

Regards,
Panther

-------------

Posted By: edgewaters
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 00:56

"Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests .” - Lord Palmerston, British PM 1859-65

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 02:12
Originally posted by Panther

I've pondered that question for several days and the only conclusion i can come to is... just how important is it to you and the rest of the people in your country? Speaking for myself, i've always held the isles in very high regard, but that is just me! 

Regards,
Panther

..thanks for your reply Panther...in response to you enquiry...yes i am from the UK...but i would generally say that for most, the idea of a UK-US 'special relationship' is not really understood in its historical context, if it is known at all...while it is studied, the popular perception seems generally rooted only in what is immediate, e.g...the Blair-Bush cosying during the Invasion of Iraq...

...the trouble is, the the subject is such a vast area to understand, and much of the information relating to Anglo-American political foreign policy relations, is by its very nature, only to be found in the archives or in historical texts, so, the majority tend to view UK-US exchanges in cultural or popular terms.... a fair few will have some degree of the Churchill/FDR Atlantic Alliance in WWII, but not many will appreciate the highs and lows of Anglo-American political/defence/foreign policy relations in such areas as the diplomatic recognition of the PRC, Harold Wilson's lack of practical support during the American war in Vietnam, the Suez crisis, Anglo-Soviet relations, British policy in Europe, for example...

..for my own part, in pragmatic terms, i see UK-US relations as a 'when necessary' form of understanding fixed within national self-interest......its perhaps possible to view the ‘special relationship’ in terms of a small platform island permanently anchored in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.....the American and British administrations routinely sail by.On occasion, the United States will pay a visit, at other times Great Britain will disembark. Every so often, both parties will disembark and meet each other and investigate the islands possibilities......

...on a personal level, i do sometimes subscribe to the idea of Anglo-American relations in the form of a shared culture/history/language etc and i do believe, on the whole, there is 'a relationship' between Britains and Americans which is mostly positive, for sure, some on both sides of the Atlantic scream  and shout and hurl abuse at each other on the odd occasion, but over all, things generally tick over in the right direction...

...all the best...AoO.......

-------------

Posted By: nuvolari
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 13:56
Given that the United States has for hundreds of years held a pronounced anti-Empire foreign policy (despite its feverish attempts to create one of its own ), and has actively and openly sought to dismember the British Empire as was, no sane Briton should ever have anything but loathing and contempt for that wretched country.  However, as we all know, fate makes strange bed-fellows, hence the need for both the US and the UK to align with one another.  After all, who would want to get into bed with any of the other countries, such as France, Germany, Japan or Russia, since this lot make even America and Americans seem attractive....................well, almost !

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 13:58
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

Regards,
Panther

..thanks for your reply Panther...in response to you enquiry...yes i am from the UK...but i would generally say that for most, the idea of a UK-US 'special relationship' is not really understood in its historical context, if it is known at all...while it is studied, the popular perception seems generally rooted only in what is immediate, e.g...the Blair-Bush cosying during the Invasion of Iraq...

...the trouble is, the the subject is such a vast area to understand, and much of the information relating to Anglo-American political foreign policy relations, is by its very nature, only to be found in the archives or in historical texts, so, the majority tend to view UK-US exchanges in cultural or popular terms.... a fair few will have some degree of the Churchill/FDR Atlantic Alliance in WWII, but not many will appreciate the highs and lows of Anglo-American political/defence/foreign policy relations in such areas as the diplomatic recognition of the PRC, Harold Wilson's lack of practical support during the American war in Vietnam, the Suez crisis, Anglo-Soviet relations, British policy in Europe, for example...

..for my own part, in pragmatic terms, i see UK-US relations as a 'when necessary' form of understanding fixed within national self-interest......its perhaps possible to view the ‘special relationship’ in terms of a small platform island permanently anchored in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.....the American and British administrations routinely sail by.On occasion, the United States will pay a visit, at other times Great Britain will disembark. Every so often, both parties will disembark and meet each other and investigate the islands possibilities......

...on a personal level, i do sometimes subscribe to the idea of Anglo-American relations in the form of a shared culture/history/language etc and i do believe, on the whole, there is 'a relationship' between Britains and Americans which is mostly positive, for sure, some on both sides of the Atlantic scream  and shout and hurl abuse at each other on the odd occasion, but over all, things generally tick over in the right direction...

...all the best...AoO.......

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 14:08
The closing paragraph of the above post declares that both the US and the UK have much in common............not any more we don't   !  Am I not right in stating that Spanish is more widely spoken in California than is English ?   Has not the Irish anti British vote long been allowed to negatively influence against Great Britain on the US East Coast ?  Does Britain now not have so many Muslim immigrants as to sway opinion in the UK against the US ?
The days when Churchill and Roosevelt**, or even Bush and Blair, stood side by side are now long over.......................Heaven help us !!

** Not that even FDR was much of an ally of the UK, since his Lend-Lease Agreement was specifically drawn up by his Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau with FDR's express instruction that it bankrupt the British Empire  !

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 14:53

Originally posted by nuvolari

Given that the United States has for hundreds of years held a pronounced anti-Empire foreign policy (despite its feverish attempts to create one of its own ), and has actively and openly sought to dismember the British Empire as was

The Americans never sought to undo the British Empire. At most, they (unsuccesfully) tried to seize a territory from it (British North America) and huffed and puffed a bit about it. That's not the same thing as actively seeking the end of the empire as a whole, which implies they were doing some concrete thing intended to bring about the end of the empire.

It's Britain itself that decided to end the empire, and it did it in stages. Around the turn of the century, they decided that they could have all the fun and profit of empire without any of the bother, since British business dominated the economies of all the colonies. They could reap the profits without having to get involved in any of the mess by devolving political power to the colonies and forming the Commonwealth. Which, in the end, Britain decided to destroy as well, by dismantling as an economic union.

If the Commonwealth was empire, then Britain quit so it could hang out with its EU buddies. If Commonwealth wasn't empire, then Britain dismantled the empire for its own reasons with the Statute of Westminster. Don't blame the Americans.

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 16:28
nuvolari,

How do you figure Morgenthau and FDR either wanted to, or intended to "bankrupt the British Empire?"  How could Lend Lease have accomplished this end?

A few points:

1)  Great Britain owed the US hundreds of millions of Pounds after WW I, the vast majority of which was not repayed.  That was understandable as G.B. ended WW I as a debtdor nation and with debts owed to her by others that could not be collected.

2)  Lend Lease was implemented with NO provisions for repayment for materiel or other resources advanced to G.B. for the duration of the war.  Rather generous terms.

3)  Immediately after the war, British debt to the US was set at 10 cents on the Dollar, amortized over 50 years at some nominal rate of interest (2 or 3% IIRC).  Actually, the debt was eventually retired within the last decade.  Not bad payment terms.

American politics had been characterized by anti-imperial sentiments prior to WW II, but in the reality of that war, for most of three years, it was Britain that kept open sea lanes for commerce; it was Britain that faced down Germany and Italy pretty much alone from May, 1940 to June, 1941....and in the Med well into the next year until the US made itself ready.

Politically, it was going to be a hard sell in the US to keep American forces overseas after the war.  However, policy makers understood that US interests by then could not merely accomodate the folks in Ohio and Kansas.  The US had to become international and interventionist because of those interests.  The British still retained strategically important territories that required Western presence, and for the "special relationship," those certainly were of great value to new US policy realities.

Henry Morganthau held some radical views on Germany, but I am not aware of any advice or intention to bankrupt Britain....the war almost accomplished that on it's own, and no help was needed.

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 16:39
I think this topic belongs in Modern History, so I will move it there.

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 16:45
In answer to AoO's initial point, I think the record of British policy for six decades has, overall, demonstrated that there has been, and continues to be, a special relationship between the US and Great Britain. 

In most cases, and certainly in the most important, the strategic and economic interests of both are more convergent than not.  Governments both Labour and Conservative have demonstrated this convergence.

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 17:10
I agree with Pike. But, as I said in the other thread, it would be foolish to deny that at the time of empire there were many divergent interests. The war in the Pacific, with pretty much seperate wars against the Japanese displayed that starkly (yes I know that they was cooperation, no where on the scale seen in Europe). Britain fought to retain her interests in the empire in the far east, the US fought to be the dominant power in the Pacific. Clearly contradictory goals. As a result the divergence in US-UK policy seen  at least until the UK's withrawl in the 1960's.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 23:33

The closing paragraph of the above post declares that both the US and the UK have much in common............not any more we don't   !  Am I not right in stating that Spanish is more widely spoken in California than is English ?   Has not the Irish anti British vote long been allowed to negatively influence against Great Britain on the US East Coast ?  Does Britain now not have so many Muslim immigrants as to sway opinion in the UK against the US ?

The days when Churchill and Roosevelt, or even Bush and Blair, stood side by side are now long over.......................Heaven help us !! 

** Not that even FDR was much of an ally of the UK, since his Lend-Lease Agreement was specifically drawn up by his Treasury Secretary Henry Morgenthau with FDR's express instruction that it bankrupt the British Empire  !

…all perfectly valid points with truths in all of them, yet, it should be noted that despite all these aspects of UK-US relations, the ‘special relationship’ endures, sometimes more successful in one era than another, but prevail it does……the Muslim’s in Britain do have a voice and it is heard, and yes, there is a large body of anti-British sentiment coming from the United States, but, as can be seen in my very first post, Britain and the United States are once again outlining their future foreign policy, and on the (public) face of it, they are pretty much still in tune with each other like I said though, behind the scenes, alternative views may be discussed …a recent study argues that  It is important to distinguish the ‘special relationship’ as a policy and the ‘special relationship’ as a state of international interaction. ‘Special relationship’ as a policy has always been almost entirely a British affairs(John Dumbrell, A Special Relationship: Anglo-American Relations from the Cold War to Iraq second edition  (Hampshire, 2006) p.12)..that is quite true…but for the sake of Anglo-American unity, the relationship is portrayed by both as being a valuable one, because, despite any differences, over all, it is!!!…

…sorry, this is quite lengthy, but by using some primary sources, it kind of gives the story a degree of depth….but to give just one example, there was huge public opinion here in Britain against American foreign policy in Vietnam, we have all seen the footage from America of anti-war protesters and the fervour with which they pushed their objections, but it is easy to forget that the same kind of protests were a regular occurrence in Great Britain…and I think it is too easy to not fully appreciate the intensity of the period regarding the conflict, foreign policy and the potential damage that could have been infected in Anglo-American relations….during that period, anti-American sentiment from Britain was strong indeed, yet, Anglo-American ties once again survived…..even political opinion within the British government was opposed to American actions ….In September 1967, George Brown (Foreign Secretary) reiterated: “The Government did not support the war. They deplored its escalation. They condemned the continued bombing on North Vietnam.” (Cabinet Conclusions, CAB 128/42/Part 2, CC (67) 57th conclusions, 28th September 1967, The National Archives)

……and Prime Minister Wilson refused consistently to entertain the Churchillian philosophy of an Anglo-American affiliation……it was in Harold Wilson’s interest to play down the connotations of a ‘special relationship’ with the United States in order to safeguard and promote Britain’s position as a mediator in the Vietnam War….the Prime Minister preferred instead to maintain a ‘close relationship’ based on “a common purpose, common objectives, and as far as can be achieved, community of policy. A relationship based not on condescension or on a backward looking nostalgia for the past, but on the ability of both parties to put forward their strength and their own unique contribution to our common purpose.” (‘Anglo-American Relations: A Special Case.’ Speech given at University of Texas in April 1971, cited in John Baylis, Anglo-American Relations since 1939 (Manchester, 1997) p.165)

….and yet, despite having this knowledge, despite  insisting that no there would be no British military commitment, despite huge political and public pressure, despite President’s Johnson’s repeated request for military assistance, and against every Labour fibre in his body, the PM still alluded to the idea of a special relationship by giving some political support and conceding to some American expectations…..and it was appreciated too….a personal telegram in October 1967 from Johnson to the Prime Minister referred to the war in Vietnam…..the President wrote, “I think you understand how much it matters that the Government of the country which means most to me, aside from my own, is lending its support for what we all know is right, despite the storms around us.(Prime Ministerial papers, Johnson telegram to Wilson shortly after the Scarborough Labour Conference, 5th October 1967. The National Archives, PREM 13/2459)…

…In addition, in 1965, McGeorge Bundy informed the President that support from the Labour Government was “not only harder get but somewhat more valuable in international terms.” (Memorandum to the President from McGeorge Bundy (Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs) with reference to the British and Vietnam, 3rd June 1965, David M. Barrett (ed), Lyndon B. Johnson’s Vietnam Papers, A Documentary Collection (Texas, 1997) p.164)…

….Lord Paul Gore-Booth, the Permanent Under-Secretary at the Foreign Office reflected upon the nature of the ‘special relationship’ while he was in office. There was, he said, “a natural closeness of co-operation between people in the American administration and in the machine in the State Department and people doing the same sort of thing in Britain,” adding that “President Johnson entirely understood Mr Wilson’s domestic difficulties,” and was “grateful that…we at least didn’t get pushed over emotionally into an officially anti-American attitude.” (Gore-Booth, 13th July 1970, cited in Baylis, Anglo-American Relations since 1939, pp.154-157)..

..so, it is possible to see from this example that even though the US was mired in what was perhaps the most important foreign policy action in American history and a conflict that was both militarily and politically damaging… all this and Britain refused to physically support the United States when it was most needed and called for….Anglo-American relations were damaged for sure, but co-operation and close ties between the two countries survived one of the most potentially destructive periods in United Kingdom-United States association…..even when Nixon and Kissinger took their place in the White House they hoped to develop a closer relationship with the British….when Edward Heath became PM, Washington still hoped British membership of the EEC might bring some benefit to the United States…when Harold Wilson returned to power in 1974, you would have thought that Anglo-American relations would be tarnished by the memory of Britain’s role (or lack of) in the Vietnam conflict, but there was a general improvement in the trans-Atlantic relationship…and finally, most know about the closeness of the Thatcher-Reagan era…  

Given that the United States has for hundreds of years held a pronounced anti-Empire foreign policy (despite its feverish attempts to create one of its own ), and has actively and openly sought to dismember the British Empire as was, no sane Briton should ever have anything but loathing and contempt for that wretched country

……apart from the answers that Edgewater’s and Pikeshot have offered, I also think perhaps it is precisely that the United States were ‘feverish’ in their attempts to create their own ‘empire’ in all but name, that widespread general criticism from British opinion is not prevalent….after all, it would be pretty hypocritical of British political circles to condemn another powers desire to build an ‘empire’ when the country had done the precisely the same in the past, nor does the statement take into account that there is significant number of British people who object to the country’s colonial history…some ‘objections’ might be there in principle, but it is difficult to find on public record, many government statements condemning United States policy outright….more often than not, behind the scenes, British officials have had to accept United States policy whether they liked it or not, and if they did not, attempts were generally made to modify or moderate Washington’s actions with varying degrees of success and failure…

…anyway, I am sorry for the long reply…I know such posts take a lot of effort to work through…

..all the best…AoO…

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 00:48
There seems to be an impression that the United States was "feverish" to establish an empire for herself.  I cannot agree.

The territorial aquisitions of 1898, and the few previously in the Pacific, were not for either the economic bounty of imperial dominion, or for any glorious mission (Manifest Destiny was an exercise in newspaper selling in the 1840s).  Anyone who thinks the Philippines were a market of any consequence for US industry is deluding himself.

Puerto Rico was seen as advantageous as a naval base to guard the approaches to the Caribbean.  Hawaii, Wake, Guam and the Philippines were necessary as...COALING stations in 1898.  The necessity was due to the existing marine technology at the time.  Every European nation was also scrambling for the trade of the East, particularly China, and we were hardly going to give away other parts of the Philippines to economic rivals with navies.

Cuba, in 1898, was never more vulnerable to being annexed to the US as a territory.  Why did the US not do so for a large island that was 90 miles off Florida and faced an important part of the access to the Gulf of Mexico?   

So, the fever in the US was for coaling stations to maintain access to markets in the East, not for imperial posessions.  By the 1910s, coal as a naval fuel was already on the way out, being replaced by much more efficient oil fuel, and by the 1920s, both the War Department and the Navy Department saw the Phillipines as indefensible against the only logical Pacific antagonist, Japan.  After 1935, the Philippines were being prepped for independence.  So, let's see, 37 years of "imperial" domination.  Wink  That hardly seems to match Spain and Britain.

The conventional wisdom about American "empire" doesn't hold water.  The important markets for the US up until 1900 were Europe and South America.  I doubt Henry Ford was going to sell many cars in Guam or Puerto Rico, or in the Philippines.  Other than economic advantage, what purpose has there ever been to the concept of empire, at least after the Middle Ages?

The US convergence of interests with Great Britain after WW II is, frankly, coincidental, regardless of conspiracy theorists.  

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 01:51

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

The conventional wisdom about American "empire" doesn't hold water.  The important markets for the US up until 1900 were Europe and South America. I doubt Henry Ford was going to sell many cars in Guam or Puerto Rico, or in the Philippines.  Other than economic advantage, what purpose has there ever been to the concept of empire, at least after the Middle Ages?

In a sense, the US is an empire comprised of loosely controlled vassals rather than outright provinces or colonies. That's the direction Britain was headed prior to WW2, the US simply took up the reigns after Britain proved unable or unwilling to continue holding them.

The US convergence of interests with Great Britain after WW II is, frankly, coincidental, regardless of conspiracy theorists.  

Definately, it's why I quoted Palmerston. There is no 'special relationship' merely mutual interests that have continued long enough to give that appearance.

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 12:06
Thank you all for the detailed and reasoned replies I have received to my thread. I will make an attempt to answer with some salient facts.  If any one feels that I have neglected to respond to a point they raised, I will respond further.

Putting to one side the US War of Independence since that issue is one of major complexity and demands it own especial discussion, let me just cite the following points to support my contention that the US is anti Empire, especially that of the UK's.

1.   The strategy of FDR to bankrupt the British by dint of the Lend Lease plan has been well documented and reported in several books by respected historians.
2.   Back in 1917 just prior to the entry of the USA into WW1 **, Woodrow Wilson drafted his famous "Fourteen Point Declaration". which specifically stated what the US wanted out of its entry into that war.  One of its key points was the dismemberment of ALL empires, especially that of Great Britain's.
3.   During WW2, the stated policy of the American Chief's of Staff was to prevent the participation by the UK in any significant manner in the Pacific theatre of war.  Our forces were only allowed token representation, despite the existence of a major part of the British Empire (much more than any US national representation in the same area ) in the Pacific region, especially if one includes the Antipodean area.  The fact that the US senior officers in that area (Admiral King, General's Macarthur and Stilwell etc. ) were all rabidly anti British, goes a long way to support this contention.
3.  When in 1956 President Nasser occupied the Canal Zone (which legally belonged to both Britain and France) and was a crucial British lifeline to it's Far Eastern dependencies and its oil supplies, and was of much greater value to her than ever was the Panama Canal to the USA, the USA deliberately withdrew its support at the United Nations, brought about a devaluation of the Pound Sterling, and threatened embargoes on supplies of strategic materials to the UK ( when 20 years earlier the US had done the same to Japan, again to prevent and restrict expansion by a foreign power into the Pacific, Japan then went to war over the actions of the USA ). These action by the USA towards its allies was belligerent in the extreme, and the cause of much humiliation and loss of the global prestige of the UK and France, and led directly to many countries in the British Empire then seeking their independence from that Empire. Given the state of much of Africa and the Middle East etc. now being virtually wholly unstable, whereas previously when part of the British Empire or Commonwealth they hade been both prosperous and politically sound, it is clear that the USA has much to answer for !

**  The US's entry into both World Wars can be best described as being similar to that of many police forces around the World when faced with dealing with a serious and dangerous bar-room fight i.e. Let all of the participants exhuast themselves so as not to pose a threat, and then stroll in and separate the enfeebled fighters.

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 12:52
nuvolari,

Can you advise on FDR's strategy to "bankrupt the British by dint of the Lend Lease plan?"

Can you cite sources "well documented" by "respected historians?"

Thanks.

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 12:59
As far as US policy during the Suez affair, AFAIK, Britain and France acted without the knowledge of the US in their joint intervention.  The result included threats of Soviet action in central Europe which was certainly not in the interests of NATO's membership.  Such an affront to acknowledged US leadership of NATO could hardly go unaddressed.  Eisenhower was pissed at them.  Perhaps they got back at us during Viet Nam....and perhaps AoO can address that.

Dismantling European empires would deprive certain states of the resources to wage major wars, and solidify US hegemony in Europe.  This was a conscious policy, frankly, to keep Germany and France from disturbing the peace again.  The policy did not include bankrupting anyone, and even if it had, the Marshall Plan turned that on it's head in short order.

Austerity Britain, up into the 1950s, suffered the effects of thirty years of war and the resulting costs of war.  Bankruptcy was a possibility but not because of policies of the US.    

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 14:01
nuvolari, the men of Fourteenth Army or of the Far Eastern Fleet will definatly disagree with you on the issue of "token representation". The main land fighting against the Japanese (after China) was taken by the British in Burma, and the Eastern Fleets submarines helped cripple the Japanese Merchant Marine, while the RAF inflicted some pretty heavy losses on the IJN at Ceylon.

It is true that there was a lot less cooperation in the Pacific than in Europe, but was a cause of Geography and different interests, not Admiral Kings noted Anglophobia.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 14:21
Admiral King was not the most tolerant or pleasant personality.  I am not sure he liked anyone or anything outside his family.  He almost got into a fist fight with Field Marshal Brooke at Casablanca, and had his huge disagreements with George Marshall...maybe taking inter-service rivalry well past the Army-Navy football game.  Smile

His thesis at the Naval War College centered around democratic government being incompatible with military efficiency and sabotaging it's effectiveness.  One wonders how he lasted as long as he did, and, indeed, he was on his way out in 1940.  However, the war resuscitated his career as it did MacArthur's.

King was not fond of the British and looked on the Royal Navy as an "old boy's club" full of snobs, but then, as said, he didn't have a fondness for much of anyone.  He felt the Pacific was a US theater, and that others got in the way.  However, the Australians held him in high regard, and it is important to understand that he worked for the president; not the other way around.

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 15:16

Putting to one side the US War of Independence since that issue is one of major complexity and demands it own especial discussion

Surprised you did not see fit to mention 1812. It's the only real example of US belligerence towards Britain.

1.   The strategy of FDR to bankrupt the British by dint of the Lend Lease plan has been well documented and reported in several books by respected historians.

Yes, I'm sure some paperback historians have made the claim. I imagine their books are popular at UK supermarket checkout counters.

But the terms of the lend-lease were actually pretty generous, overall. There were some raw deals involved (junky old obsolete destroyers sold for too high a price, etc) but the repayment terms were easy. It was not a lucrative proposition for the US overall.

Back in 1917 just prior to the entry of the USA into WW1 **, Woodrow Wilson drafted his famous "Fourteen Point Declaration". which specifically stated what the US wanted out of its entry into that war.  One of its key points was the dismemberment of ALL empires, especially that of Great Britain's.

It emphasized the right of self-determination. So did Britain's series of Imperial Conferences around the same era, which recommended the same policy and ultimately resulted in the Balfour Declaration and Statute of Westminster.

During WW2, the stated policy of the American Chief's of Staff was to prevent the participation by the UK in any significant manner in the Pacific theatre of war.

US planners felt it made far more sense (and it did) for Britain's resources to be chiefly directed to the European theater. If the Americans wanted to keep Britain from being involved in the Asian theater, why didn't they oppose the naming of Mountbatten to Supreme Allied Commander South East Asia? It's not like it would have been difficult to object, after Dieppe and some of Mountbatten's more absurd plans (eg building aircraft carriers out of sawdust and icebergs)

When in 1956 President Nasser occupied the Canal Zone (which legally belonged to both Britain and France) and was a crucial British lifeline to it's Far Eastern dependencies and its oil supplies, and was of much greater value to her than ever was the Panama Canal to the USA, the USA deliberately withdrew its support at the United Nations, brought about a devaluation of the Pound Sterling, and threatened embargoes on supplies of strategic materials to the UK

The Suez did not 'legally belong' to Britain, it was a neutral territory under British protection. And in fact, in 1954, Britain had agreed to withdraw its forces from the area.   The US acted partially at the instigation of none other than Lester Pearson, the Canadian Prime Minister, to ensure regional stability between Israel and Egypt and a lasting peace, which would guarantee Europe's oil lifeline remained open and free from conflict. Do you really suppose Canada was out to "get" Britain?

Given the state of much of Africa and the Middle East etc. now being virtually wholly unstable, whereas previously when part of the British Empire or Commonwealth they hade been both prosperous and politically sound

Had little to do with the Suez, this process predates even WW2 and was well underway before Suez. Yes, they were prosperous under empire for a time ... until the tensions generated by empire erupted into unstable situations, under which neither empire nor prosperity could be maintained any longer. How exactly things like India-Pakistan have anything to do with Suez is beyond me ... usually causes precede effects in linear time.

The US's entry into both World Wars can be best described as being similar to that of many police forces around the World when faced with dealing with a serious and dangerous bar-room fight i.e. Let all of the participants exhuast themselves so as not to pose a threat, and then stroll in and separate the enfeebled fighters.

So ... because they didn't run straightaway to help Britain, that means they sought its destruction? So I guess Britain, then, sought the destruction of everyone it didn't run to help, too. Failing to live up to some perceived obligation to assist in a timely fashion simply isn't the same thing as actively attempting to destroy.

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 15:52
I have often pondered on Kings marked dislike for the British. Of course it could be rooted in his general envy of what was then, and had been for 250 years, the Worlds finest navy i.e the Andrew (aka the Royal Navy to any landlubbers reading this ), but I did once read that upon an official American navy visit to the Royal Navy's base at Scapa Flow, he felt that he had been deliberately NOT given the proper number of guns in his salute, so this would not have helped.  As for MacArthur, well he beleived himself to be God anyway, so what chance did anyone else have of being accorded his respect !

Posted By: Beylerbeyi
Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 16:17
What a load of bollocks from all sides.

1. US is an empire. No denying that. It started form a small area in the Eastern side of the US and expanded into its modern land area, exterminating the local populations and stealing the land from other countries. Today US has military bases in hundreds of countries, it invades countries who disobey it, which has been going on almost since its inception. It imposes trade policies on weaker nations and opens their markets by economic or military coercion. It is willing to fight to make sure that no opponent emerges and its profits are not threatened. US is an empire, and only people who deny that are a handful of ideologically blinded ultra-nationalists, whom nobody takes seriously outside the US mainstream media.  

2. Britain had no intention of letting go of its empire. It went bankrupt and was forced to do so. Before going to World War I, they had plans to divide up the Middle East, called the Sykes-Picot plan. Of course they were promising the Arabs independence, but in fact they wanted to rule them themselves. Same in India, India became independent only because Britain became bankrupt in the wars and Indian independence movement kicked their asses back to UK.

3. Suez canal was built by slave labour. Many Egyptians died for the profits of European imperialists. It did not belong to Britain or France. It belong to Egypt and when the Egyptians took what is rightfully theirs, English and French, together with the usual imperialist attack dog, Israel, attacked Egypt. However, those idiots had still not understood that they were no longer living in the pre-world war era, when they could do pretty much whatever they wanted. So what happened in the end was that the USSR (not Canada!) warned them, and demanded that they stop their imperialist aggression. US did not want confrontation with the USSR to defend the old imperialist idiots on this issue, so it told the idiots to get the eff out of Egypt or else. That's exactly what they did, with their tails firmly between their legs. British and French press and some historians still haven't fully come to terms with this change in the world, and still miss the good old days of white men's burden, when they could oppress the wogs and niggers the way they liked (hence the 'Middle East was peaceful under British rules' garbage above). 

4. Middle East was not peaceful under the British. The British caused 90% of the problems still there, by the Belfour declaration, oppressing the Palestinians (I've seen old Palestinians on TV who swear that British trated them worse than the Israelis), dividing the Arabs arbitrarily, setting in the frameworks to steal their oil wealth, bombing, torturing, killing them whenever they disagreed (they gassed the Kurds way before Saddam did). British were total barbarians (French were better).

USA and USSR understood the new imperial dynamics of the post world war world. They created vassal states and dependencies in the region and expanded their military and economic presence. 

-------------

Posted By: Peteratwar
Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 16:33
I suppose there has been a sillier lot of statements but not many

1. Why are the Indian population still alive and well. AFAIK there was no stealing of land unless you think of Mexico under the Spaniards whi stole that land and Cuba etc. BTW if you study history well enough you will see everyone has stolen lanmd at some time from earlier inhabitants. US has bases in some countries and does not arbitrarily invade other countries without provocation apart from about 1 as far as I can remember.

2. Britain had every intention of giving up its Empire in course of time and continued to do so at an accelerated rate after WWII unfortunately for the inhabitants, their new leaders were largely awful and oppressive with some exceptions

3. The canal was not created by Britain but they bought shares in the Company running it when that Company was having problems. The manner of being taken over was not well done

4. Until WWI end the Middle East was under Ottoman control. Britain had mandates from the League of Nations to oversee, Palestinet, Iraq and in part Jordan. On the whole peaceful until the question of the Jewish Homeland started to come up. Then the UN took over in 1948 and the Arab nations then defied them and attacked Israel. Your so-called old Palestinians on TV is I think somewhat suspect. BTW the British user 'tear' gas not the sort that Saddam Hussein used against his own people

The USSR of course is hardly backward in claiming an Empire for itself against the wishes of the inhabitants. Thanks to the determination of the US, UK and the rest of the free world this was largely broken

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 16:40
edgewaters,

Just a quick aside here:  Those junky old destroyers were still valuable.  There were still, in 1940/41 over 100 of them in service in the US navy awaiting replacement by more modern classes, and all the DDs in the Asiatic squadron were old four stackers.

Fifty destroyers, old or not, were useful to ASW in the Atlantic.  They could still make 30 knots, could drop a good number of depth charges, and could outgun any U boat on the surface.  How long would it have taken for British yards to build 50 destroyers?  The emergency flotilla construction program didn't go into effect until 1941, and the classes were based on existing plans for WW I ships!

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 16:57
Originally posted by edgewaters

Putting to one side the US War of Independence since that issue is one of major complexity and demands it own especial discussion

Surprised you did not see fit to mention 1812. It's the only real example of US belligerence towards Britain.

Reply. 
It is a lesser conflict that I do not know enough about to offer an opinion on.

Yes, I'm sure some paperback historians have made the claim. I imagine their books are popular at UK supermarket checkout counters.

A harsh and unfounded criticism, although I won't blame you for thinking that this reply let's me off the hook, since due to a recent house move my library is horribly disordered.This means that I cannot find my copy of the relevant book, which was a bio. of both FDR and WCChurchill. However, my claim re the US lend-lease agreement being designed to bankrupt Britain is mentioned in numerous other credible books by respected authors. As to my library being sourced from supermarket counters, I tend to find most of mine at either established bookshops, or, more frequently, many of the respectable charity (you might know them as "thrift" stores ) shops we have in the UK.  Another source is the redundant book sections of my local library and universities.

But the terms of the lend-lease were actually pretty generous, overall. There were some raw deals involved (junky old obsolete destroyers sold for too high a price, etc) but the repayment terms were easy. It was not a lucrative proposition for the US overall.

Reply. 
My overall impression accords with your own in this respect, but that doesn't negate what might still have been terms designed to be acceptable, but still nevertheless achieve the bankruptcy of the UK (which was pretty much the case) . That being so, and the UK facing bankruptcy, when Maynard Keynes ( a brilliant and lucid economist ) was sent by the Atlee government immediately postwar to negotiate a dollar loan from the US, he was sent away empty handed despite his reasoned and logical appeal.  His appeal was rejected largely because the postwar Labour government had introduced the British National Health Service, which the Americans saw as being too "socialist" in nature. "Socialist in nature" ?  perhaps, but a service that the American government has long sought to emulate..........unsuccessfully, I might add, despite it being a pet project of both the Clintons when in power !

Back in 1917 just prior to the entry of the USA into WW1 **, Woodrow Wilson drafted his famous "Fourteen Point Declaration". which specifically stated what the US wanted out of its entry into that war.  One of its key points was the dismemberment of ALL empires, especially that of Great Britain's.

It emphasized the right of self-determination. So did Britain's series of Imperial Conferences around the same era, which recommended the same policy and ultimately resulted in the Balfour Declaration and Statute of Westminster.

Reply.
"Self determination" or dismemberment of the British Empire ; it is one and the same thing.
What the Hell has it got to do with the Americans anyway ? especially since they were constantly absorbing (often by bloodshed- e.g. the Spanish-American War etc. - ) the territories of other nations ! 

During WW2, the stated policy of the American Chief's of Staff was to prevent the participation by the UK in any significant manner in the Pacific theatre of war.

US planners felt it made far more sense (and it did) for Britain's resources to be chiefly directed to the European theater. If the Americans wanted to keep Britain from being involved in the Asian theater, why didn't they oppose the naming of Mountbatten to Supreme Allied Commander South East Asia? It's not like it would have been difficult to object, after Dieppe and some of Mountbatten's more absurd plans (eg building aircraft carriers out of sawdust and icebergs)

When in 1956 President Nasser occupied the Canal Zone (which legally belonged to both Britain and France) and was a crucial British lifeline to it's Far Eastern dependencies and its oil supplies, and was of much greater value to her than ever was the Panama Canal to the USA, the USA deliberately withdrew its support at the United Nations, brought about a devaluation of the Pound Sterling, and threatened embargoes on supplies of strategic materials to the UK

The Suez did not 'legally belong' to Britain, it was a neutral territory under British protection. And in fact, in 1954, Britain had agreed to withdraw its forces from the area.   The US acted partially at the instigation of none other than Lester Pearson, the Canadian Prime Minister, to ensure regional stability between Israel and Egypt and a lasting peace, which would guarantee Europe's oil lifeline remained open and free from conflict. Do you really suppose Canada was out to "get" Britain?

Reply.
The Canal Zone was leased from Egypt in the same way that Hong Kong was leased from China...........and handed back to them when the lease expired.  The fact that the UK had agreed to relinquish the lease hugely negates any entitlement that the Egyptians may have thought theirs to take it back.........even by negotiation, let alone the murder of innocent British civilians ! It is hard to imagine anybody (even Lester Pearson) being able to successfully negotiate peace between the Arabs and the Israelis; after all, a succession of statesman and diplomats have been attempting this for many, many years. At the end of the day, Israel chose to participate in the Suez war against Egypt in no small degree and, of course, actively conspired and fought with the Anglo-French alliance. Irrespective of Pearson's well meaning attempts, the actions of the Israelis would have totally scuppered his efforts.

Given the state of much of Africa and the Middle East etc. now being virtually wholly unstable, whereas previously when part of the British Empire or Commonwealth they hade been both prosperous and politically sound

Had little to do with the Suez, this process predates even WW2 and was well underway before Suez. Yes, they were prosperous under empire for a time ... until the tensions generated by empire erupted into unstable situations, under which neither empire nor prosperity could be maintained any longer. How exactly things like India-Pakistan have anything to do with Suez is beyond me ... usually causes precede effects in linear time.

Reply.
I agree, if one takes the granting to India of its independence as being the start of the major part of the disolution of Empire, then that had commenced nine years earlier. However, that had been negotiated with the Indians and was agreed as part of the support by that country of Britains war against the Axis forces during WW2.  That is quite different from Nasser's murderous campaign against the British to unlawfully recover the Canal Zone.  I am surprised that you have failed to link these two events, since they are all part of the destruction of the Empire and the American role in that destruction.

The US's entry into both World Wars can be best described as being similar to that of many police forces around the World when faced with dealing with a serious and dangerous bar-room fight i.e. Let all of the participants exhuast themselves so as not to pose a threat, and then stroll in and separate the enfeebled fighters.

So ... because they didn't run straightaway to help Britain, that means they sought its destruction? So I guess Britain, then, sought the destruction of everyone it didn't run to help, too. Failing to live up to some perceived obligation to assist in a timely fashion simply isn't the same thing as actively attempting to destroy.

Reply.
I don't desire to be facetious, but it may have escaped your notice ( if you are Canadian  that would greatly surprise me, due to Canada's role in both World Wars ) but the ever present existence of America's isolationist policies have twice in the last 100 years displayed its most unattractive face to the World when it has sat back and grown fat on the misery of other countries before finally deciding that it could ignore world events no longer ( in WW2, of course, it took the destruction of their Pacific Fleet by Japan to finally prompt any action on their part ! ). In both wars the US has allowed much of Continental Europe and elsewhere to be conquered and occupied by hostile forces long before it recognised that its world trade would be effected . Surely FDR's famous speech about lending your neighbour a ladder when his house is burning down is greatly indicative of the fact that withholding the loan of that ladder for over two years in both world wars is akin to allowing his house to burn down ?  However, the UK has on many occassions, and certainly in both world wars )  been the principal prime mover to set in motion the liberation of those defeated countries......and what a price we have paid for it !

Finis.

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 17:51

when Maynard Keynes ( a brilliant and lucid economist ) was sent by the Atlee government immediately postwar to negotiate a dollar loan from the US, he was sent away empty handed ....  too "socialist" in nature.

What kind of idiot sends Keynes to ask the American government for money? In the middle of a US panic over communism? It's like sending Daniel Pipes to ask the Saudis to increase oil production. Any president who agreed would be sabotaging his political future.

"Self determination" or dismemberment of the British Empire ; it is one and the same thing.

Regardless ... it was already British policy to begin a process of transfer of power throughout its colonies by that point. The Fourteen Points merely affirmed US support for a stated British policy.

The Canal Zone was leased from Egypt in the same way that Hong Kong was leased from China...........and handed back to them when the lease expired.  The fact that the UK had agreed to relinquish the lease hugely negates any entitlement that the Egyptians may have thought theirs to take it back.........even by negotiation, let alone the murder of innocent British civilians !

Murder of innocent civilians? One of the reasons the UNEF had to be deployed is because the British/French/Israeli forces were involved in widespread massacres of civilians during the conflict ... not to mention that, part of the reason for the tension in the first place, was an attack on a Egyptian police station by British forces which saw 40-odd police slaughtered. The garrison had a long history of attacks on civilians.

It is hard to imagine anybody (even Lester Pearson) being able to successfully negotiate peace between the Arabs and the Israelis

Yeah, truth is stranger than fiction sometimes ...

Irrespective of Pearson's well meaning attempts, the actions of the Israelis would have totally scuppered his efforts.

Pearson enters the picture after the conflict has broken out. His ideas, supported by the US, helped to conclude hostilities succesfully.

if you are Canadian  that would greatly surprise me, due to Canada's role in both World Wars

Well, I guess I am not 100% Canadian. I was born in, and spent the first 8 months of my life in, a suburb of Birmingham. I'm still a dual citizen.

but the ever present existence of America's isolationist policies have twice in the last 100 years displayed its most unattractive face to the World when it has sat back and grown fat on the misery of other countries before finally deciding that it could ignore world events no longer

Again ... what's that got to do with actively trying to harm Britain?

In both wars the US has allowed much of Continental Europe and elsewhere to be conquered and occupied by hostile forces

Hostile to who? Not the US.

There were tons of countries who remained neutral. What about the Swedes? They were helping Germany, even. I don't see you accusing them of trying to destroy Britain. The US didn't owe Britain its help.

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 17:57
This thought that the United States had some obligation to get into two wars immediately, if not sooner, because Europeans couldn't keep peace among themselves is a non sequitur.
If your neighbor's house is burning, you may give him a hose, but you are not required to jump into the fire.

The British fought on alone, and did it well, it is true, but Britain was never going to be capable of liberating western Europe without the US.  The United States was hardly prepared to go to war in 1939, or even 1940-41.  Major US contribution in Africa and Italy could not be made until 1943!  The Pacific was somewhat different, but that had been studied by the Navy Department since 1919.

In sum, it was not the obligation of the US to fight in a war until it was ready.  And in the absence of the US, any "liberation" of western Europe was more likely to be done by the Red Army.

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 18:10
nuvolari,

John Maynard Keynes asking for a loan from the US immediately after the war may have been just a sign of absolute desperation on the part of a Britain exhausted by the war.

The US in the last months of 1945 was sitting on unprecedented debt that was not retired until well into the following decade, or even later.  There were 13-14,000,000 service persons about to be demobilized with no jobs to go to, and in a lot of cases no place to live.  The US in 1945 was not the US in 1965.  It was more like the US in 1935!  I don't think we had it to lend until a few years later.

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 19:37

The war bankrupted Britain and very nearly did the same to the US. There was no money.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2009 at 20:31

As far as US policy during the Suez affair, AFAIK, Britain and France acted without the knowledge of the US in their joint intervention.  Such an affront to acknowledged US leadership of NATO could hardly go unaddressed.  Eisenhower was pissed at them.  Perhaps they got back at us during Viet Nam....and perhaps AoO can address that.

..to be honest, I do not know of any direct sources that give the indication that Britain’s policy in the American war in Vietnam was in part influenced by Washington’s actions during Suez…I would hazard an assumption and say that I am sure there were some British officials who saw Britain’s Vietnam policy as some sort of vindication over the Suez affair, I recall reading some material long ago that certainly suggested that some in the White House believed this to be so….even so, one account observes that later, Nixon and Kissinger would argue that the United States should have backed the British over Suez… (C. J. Bartlett, ‘The Special Relationship’: A Political History of Anglo-American Relations since 1945 (London, 1992) p.78)…

....as for British Commitment and Foreign Policy in Vietnam, Harold Wilson supported the view that Britain should attempt to re-build itself as an influential global power and the method he chose was not to support American military action but to put Britain forward as a political mediator in the Vietnam conflict…Wilson resisted all American pressure to commit ground troops to the fighting and continued to pursue a policy of peaceful conclusion to the Vietnam War…. Britain’s position in 1967-68 was one of conflicting loyalties between continuing Co-chairmanship of the Geneva Conference on Indo-China, and preserving a viable political relationship with the United States….this policy was influenced by the fact that Britain was struggling with its economic situation…..British Ministers were often pre-occupied in looking for options to resolve Britain’s domestic financial difficulties as well as minimising defence expenditure in Europe and elsewhere abroad…..during the latter half of 1967, discussions were already underway concerning plans for the withdrawal of all British military influence east of Suez…… against this backdrop of political and economic difficulties, a commitment of British troops to Vietnam was certainly out of the question….

...however, there is one argument that suggests that Washington applied a rather acute level of pressure on Britain if London supported a policy of total dissociation with American policy in Vietnam… the British Government’s willingness to defer dissociation was influenced by the possible long-term consequences of upsetting the American administration whose future actions could affect Britain’s role and status in Western Europe….. Dean Rusk had indicated that in the event of isolationist sentiment prevailing in Congress, it would be unwise for Britain to dissociate from United States policy in Vietnam. In a letter to the British Foreign Secretary, Rusk warned, “those very senators who are opposing the President’s policies in Vietnam are among the same senators who are pressing for our withdrawal from Europe.” Rusk continued that these politicians “are just as isolationist about Europe as they are about South-East Asia.” (Prime Ministerial Papers, The National Archives, PREM 13/2459, Rusk letter to Brown, September 1967)…

…..George Brown did express fears that if dissociation became public, the present and future American administrations might, “cease to exert themselves at all in favour of British interests,” adding that it would be hard to believe “the United States administration will take a helpful line in respect of our financial, economic and commercial problems.” (Cabinet Papers,, The National Archives, CAB 129/134/Part 1, Brown’s assessment for Cabinet discussion, 15th November 1967)…

….This last point was particularly central to a British Government that knew devaluation of sterling was imminent. Indeed, practically all the Cabinet meetings in the latter half of 1967 were mainly devoted to the impending reality of the devaluation of sterling, and for the first two weeks of January 1968, the Cabinet meetings were all chiefly concerned with post-devaluation measures and difficulties. (Cabinet Papers, The National Archives, CAB 128/43/Part 1, CC (68), see conclusions for 4th, 5th, 9th, 11th, 12th, and 15th January 1968)…

..there is something else to this story, I seem to recall viewing some Foreign Office documents from the British archives that state, in the early 1960’s, the British government believed the war in Vietnam could not be won by the Americans…..hence, another reason  not to military commit to the conflict, but push forward Britain’s role as a mediator instead…now, I was pretty sure that I had these documents on file, but I simply cannot find them without looking through a vast amount of material, which then makes me doubt my memory(which is easy to do I can assure you!!)…I am quite certain that I have this evidence, but until it surfaces, I can only say the above statement is speculative at best…

…so, there were many practical reasons for British policy in Vietnam, but I doubt that ‘revenge’ over Suez was one of them…it seems that London was more preoccupied with more immediate circumstances…however, I would not be surprised if there was something more revealing tucked away in the archives…

..all the best….AoO..

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 01:36
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

1. US is an empire.
That's not the position of all the participants in this thread.
2. Britain had no intention of letting go of its empire. It went bankrupt and was forced to do so.
This is just incorrect. Britain had adopted a long-term strategy of transferring power to the colonies beginning in 1887, underway in earnest with the Imperial Conferences in the 1920s, and formally initiated with the Statute of Westminster, all of which predates the war and Britain's economic crisis. If the empire was profitable, what sense would it make to abandon it during an economic crisis, particularly when there were large numbers of troops whose decommissioning would only intensify the crisis? WW2 certainly speeded up the process and resulted in premature transfers of power, but to say that it was instigated by WW2 simply displays ignorance of pre-war trends in the Commonwealth.
So what happened in the end was that the USSR (not Canada!) warned them, and demanded that they stop their imperialist aggression.
The Soviets shaking their fist did not constitute a solution to the problem, actually it was just an escalation that threatened to provoke an even wider conflict, but it did prompt Pearson to seek a viable solution (the Americans were interested in one, but they didn't really have much of a plan on how to do it). He developed the UNEF and the very idea of peacekeeping in order to supervise the end of hostilities. He was the author of the resolution adopted by the UN imposing the ceasefire, and was even able to secure the votes of both Israel and Egypt on it (although, ironically, not the UK nor the USSR, who were determined to escalate the situation), something neither the Americans nor the Soviets could possibly have achieved. 
Middle East was not peaceful under the British. The British caused 90% of the problems still there
Yep, and the US and the USSR kept the fires burning.

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 10:16
Originally posted by Sparten

nuvolari, the men of Fourteenth Army or of the Far Eastern Fleet will definatly disagree with you on the issue of "token representation". The main land fighting against the Japanese (after China) was taken by the British in Burma, and the Eastern Fleets submarines helped cripple the Japanese Merchant Marine, while the RAF inflicted some pretty heavy losses on the IJN at Ceylon.

It is true that there was a lot less cooperation in the Pacific than in Europe, but was a cause of Geography and different interests, not Admiral Kings noted Anglophobia.

OK. I agree that the phrase "token representation" may well not accurately reflect the efforts of the British armed forces in the Pacific theatre, but what I meant to convey in my thread was that the US establishment fought long and hard to contain the size of the British contribution to that area ( thereby reducing post war British influence )and that this was all a part of their well established anti-Empire attitude.
Incidentally, I have an uncle who fought in the 14th. Army as part of Wingate's "Chindit" force.  He was also a founder member of the Long Range Desert Group in the Western Desert two years earlier.    In June 1944 the Us Air Force made an air drop of luxuries to those fighting the Japs in Burma. This was to celebrate the Normany Landings, and as part of this drop a sack full of pineapples ( the fruit, not the anti-personnel bombs )were airdropped at a low height without using a parachute. The sack burst open and a pineapple hit dear old Uncle Bas on the back of the head and killed him  stone dead, something that the Italians, the Germans and the Japanese had been trying to accomplish for nearly five years !!...............................no, actually it didn't kill him, but it severely fractured his skull and rendered him severely epileptic thereafter. As a result of this he died in his late 30's in 1953.

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 10:29

nuvolari,

John Maynard Keynes asking for a loan from the US immediately after the war may have been just a sign of absolute desperation on the part of a Britain exhausted by the war.

The US in the last months of 1945 was sitting on unprecedented debt that was not retired until well into the following decade, or even later.  There were 13-14,000,000 service persons about to be demobilized with no jobs to go to, and in a lot of cases no place to live.  The US in 1945 was not the US in 1965.  It was more like the US in 1935!  I don't think we had it to lend until a few years later.

Quite so, my friend, quite so !  Britain WAS desperate after the War and for a long time beyond that . After all, rationing was still applicable in the UK nearly ten years AFTER the War's end, and even bread(which was NOT rationed during the War) became rationed in post war UK.
Don't remind me of the returning US servicemen, amigo ! My actress mother had a three picture contract with RKO Studios immediately post war and her passage to the USA was booked on the RMS "Queen Mary" . In common with all other passengers on that voyage (and a few afterwards), she was turfed out of her cabin when the US Govn't commandeered the ship in order to return 1000's of US personnel from Europe( I think that an Election Year was pending in the USA, and Harry S. wanted to get as many Democrats back as he could  !!  She later became pregnant with me. Thus it follows that were it not for the actions of Truman, I'd have been born a US citizen !!

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 11:03
That's not the position of all the participants in this thread.
'All sides' means that more than one side exists in the thread. I am aware it is not the view of 'all sides', not even of the majority.

This is just incorrect. Britain had adopted a long-term strategy of transferring power to the colonies beginning in 1887,
Wherever Britain adopted such a strategy, it was because its hand was forced.  

underway in earnest with the Imperial Conferences in the 1920s, and formally initiated with the Statute of Westminster, all of which predates the war and Britain's economic crisis.
All wrong. 1920s and Statute of Westminster don't predate 'the war'. 'The war' is the imperialist war of partition of the world, and it started in 1914 and ended in 1945, with a time-out in between. British Empire was shaken after the World War I, it turned from a net lender to a net debtor. Its financial situation was already shaky. Then World War II came and bankrupted them.   

Britain before the end of WW I had no intention of letting go of anwhere if they could help it. They partitioned the Ottoman Empire, taking some juicy bits to their control. Read here: Sykes-Picot agreement ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes-Picot_Agreement - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sykes-Picot_Agreement ) and Sevres Treaty ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevres_treaty - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sevres_treaty ). Western control of the world's area and population peaked in early 1920s, and most of that was under the British flag. They had no intention of letting go of their Empire.  

If the empire was profitable, what sense would it make to abandon it during an economic crisis, particularly when there were large numbers of troops whose decommissioning would only intensify the crisis?
They had no choice, they were forced to do it. They had no money and the natives turned hostile.

WW2 certainly speeded up the process and resulted in premature transfers of power, but to say that it was instigated by WW2 simply displays ignorance of pre-war trends in the Commonwealth.
I never said WW2, that's your assumption. In fact I mentioned WW1 in the above post. It started with WW1.   

The Soviets shaking their fist did not constitute a solution to the problem, actually it was just an escalation that threatened to provoke an even wider conflict, but it did prompt Pearson to seek a viable solution (the Americans were interested in one, but they didn't really have much of a plan on how to do it). He developed the UNEF and the very idea of peacekeeping in order to supervise the end of hostilities. He was the author of the resolution adopted by the UN imposing the ceasefire, and was even able to secure the votes of both Israel and Egypt on it (although, ironically, not the UK nor the USSR, who were determined to escalate the situation), something neither the Americans nor the Soviets could possibly have achieved.
Soviets (and US) totally solved the problem, as they did during the rest of the Cold War (which was mostly a bi-polar affair, and the other pole, ain't Canada despite the ice and snow there). Same old story, imperialists went rampaging, Soviets bared its fangs, and US reined in its dogs. Canada was irrelevant. If it wasn't the Canadian PM, it would have been someone else. Swedish PM, Danish PM or someone like that. 

Yep, and the US and the USSR kept the fires burning.
Sure. US and EU still do.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 11:35
1. Why are the Indian population still alive and well.
Alive and well? That's like saying 'if Hitler killed the Jews, why there are so many alive and well today'? Yea, there are a few Indians 'alive and well', living in 'reservations' like endangered species in Africa, where before they owned all of the continent.  

AFAIK there was no stealing of land unless you think of Mexico under the Spaniards whi stole that land and Cuba etc. BTW if you study history well enough you will see everyone has stolen lanmd at some time from earlier inhabitants.
So it will be OK when Mexico will reclaim all the land you stole from them. Which may happen soon enough, given the demographic trends.

US has bases in some countries and does not arbitrarily invade other countries without provocation apart from about 1 as far as I can remember.
You don't remember very far then. How old are you, 7?  

2. Britain had every intention of giving up its Empire in course of time and continued to do so at an accelerated rate after WWII unfortunately for the inhabitants, their new leaders were largely awful and oppressive with some exceptions
Reading racist drivel like this makes me hope the next independence movement will kill more imperialist Americans. Luckily your empire is in terminal decline and I will see the world flush the toilet on your kind. 

3. The canal was not created by Britain but they bought shares in the Company running it when that Company was having problems. The manner of being taken over was not well done
The Canal is Egyptian and they do what they goddam please with it. They Nationalised it, they even paid the stock holders full compensation. All you can do is STFU at that point. Not draw up secret invasion and partition plans and attack them.  

4. Until WWI end the Middle East was under Ottoman control. Britain had mandates from the League of Nations to oversee, Palestinet, Iraq and in part Jordan. On the whole peaceful until the question of the Jewish Homeland started to come up. Then the UN took over in 1948 and the Arab nations then defied them and attacked Israel. Your so-called old Palestinians on TV is I think somewhat suspect. BTW the British user 'tear' gas not the sort that Saddam Hussein used against his own people

Ooooh, Britain was given 'mandates' to 'oversee', ooh poor Britain, sending its brightest and the best to oversee the savages and bring them civilisation, to save them from themselves. The white man's heavy burden... Who started the Palestinian-Jewish debacle other than the drooling evil embecile Britain put in charge in Palestine? His grave has him depicted in Crusader armour... And what happened when the Palestinians (whom the British considered sub-human) started protesting? They were killed and tortured by the British during the riots in the 30s, that's what the old Palestinian who was a protester at the time was referring to. I saw this on BBC, even the British don't deny it. It seemingly takes the lowest of the imperialist to apologise for this, all in the name of true nazi-like racial solidarity, given that you are not even British...  

The USSR of course is hardly backward in claiming an Empire for itself against the wishes of the inhabitants. Thanks to the determination of the US, UK and the rest of the free world this was largely broken
Completely retarded reading of the Cold War (as if we expected anything else). Soviets had their Empire and they were concerned in defending it. The rest of the world, however, was under Western empire, which was broken, thanks mostly to local independence movements, but also support from the Soviets. This process is still going on as the West becomes weaker and weaker in relative terms. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 12:12

nuvolari,

Can you advise on FDR's strategy to "bankrupt the British by dint of the Lend Lease plan?"

Can you cite sources "well documented" by "respected historians?"

Thanks.

It took a very much greater brain than mine (i.e. Henry Morgenthau's) to construct the Lend Lease Plan, even in its original objective of providing support to GB ( for which we are all** eternally grateful and I make this comment without a shred of cycnicism or irony !). Moreover, it is very likely that no overt means by which it would bankrupt GB were specifically drafted into it ( I hope and suspect that the British Government would have spotted those had they have been there !).  What is more generally accepted is that the size of the loan and the terms that came with it would have inevitably bankrupted GB, and this proved to be the case. Then, following the good old adage of "Get your man down and then kick him in the nuts !", when post war GB sought to obtain another loan from the US (whose economy was booming, whilst that of GB had largely been destroyed by WW2) it was refused for no other grounds than that the GB had a socialist government !!
** when I say "all" here, I am referring to the "Free World", who enjoy the freedoms it has today largely as a result of the struggles of GB and its Empire alone for the first 3 years of the War against Nazism.

Re yr. 2nd. point.   I have covered this point (albeit inadequately, I am afraid to say ) elsewhere in this thread.  I do, however, full accept the validity of your question and my obligation to answer it more thoroughly. I shall do this when I have found my source(s).
In the interim I can only repeat that the well established US policy of wishing to dismember
the British (and possibly other Empires also ) is very well known both in the US and elsewhere. That both countries continue to enjoy the relationship they have is a testament to something, I only wish I knew what it was !!

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 12:12

Wherever Britain adopted such a strategy, it was because its hand was forced.

It's a nice myth, but it doesn't really stand up to examination. The transfer of power from London to the colonies actually began in the 1830s, with the idea of 'responsible government' which saw increasing levels of self-rule. This process continued and expanded due to internal pressures. By the 1870s, it was an apparent trend whose merits were heavily debated - with the conclusion being that it was in Britain's interest to undertake a managed, staged transition from empire to trade bloc.

1920s and Statute of Westminster don't predate 'the war'.

The Imperial Conferences began to discuss decolonization in 1887.

Britain before the end of WW I had no intention of letting go of anwhere if they could help it.

Yes, they did continue to expand the empire. At the same time as exploring decolonization. A simplistic analysis does not serve understanding well here. By the late 1800s, Britain's status as the predominant industrial power was being challenged and it was losing ground in export markets; it desperately needed to develop new export markets and consumer bases outside of Europe and America. Decolonization was seen as the answer. 

Not only that, but the economic model of empire that had served Britain so well to that point became maladapted to changes in industrial capitalism. Domestic producers - for instance, the agricultural sector - began to suffer.

It is no coincidence that the abandonment of empire in the 50s and 60s also saw unprecedented economic growth and increases in living standards in the UK itself.

They had no choice, they were forced to do it. They had no money and the natives turned hostile.

There had always been hostile natives, so they did not suddenly 'turn hostile'. And yes, they had no money, which is actually a reason not to abandon empire, if it were true that it was a lucrative proposition. If empire had been a profitable proposition at this point, Britain could have solved not only its economic crisis, but prevented the social and economic problems that were attendant with decommissioning its troops, by keeping it. The empire was not profitable, however. The economic crisis merely made the ideal of empire a luxury Britain could no longer afford to indulge.

If it wasn't the Canadian PM, it would have been someone else. Swedish PM, Danish PM or someone like that.

Alternative/fantasy history doesn't change what really happened. If it wasn't the Romans it could have been the Carthaginians or something, but that's not history, it's fantasy.

Besides which, it is not necessarily true at all. Canada had a rather unique relationship with all the parties (Israel, Britain, the US, and Egypt) involved. The Swedes and Danes were just not in the same sort of position - in fact, nobody else was.

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 12:25

1. US is an empire. No denying that. It started form a small area in the Eastern side of the US and expanded into its modern land area, exterminating the local populations and stealing the land from other countries. Today US has military bases in hundreds of countries, it invades countries who disobey it, which has been going on almost since its inception. It imposes trade policies on weaker nations and opens their markets by economic or military coercion. It is willing to fight to make sure that no opponent emerges and its profits are not threatened. US is an empire, and only people who deny that are a handful of ideologically blinded ultra-nationalists, whom nobody takes seriously outside the US mainstream media.  

2. Britain had no intention of letting go of its empire. It went bankrupt and was forced to do so. Before going to World War I, they had plans to divide up the Middle East, called the Sykes-Picot plan. Of course they were promising the Arabs independence, but in fact they wanted to rule them themselves. Same in India, India became independent only because Britain became bankrupt in the wars and Indian independence movement kicked their asses back to UK.

3. Suez canal was built by slave labour. Many Egyptians died for the profits of European imperialists. It did not belong to Britain or France. It belong to Egypt and when the Egyptians took what is rightfully theirs, English and French, together with the usual imperialist attack dog, Israel, attacked Egypt. However, those idiots had still not understood that they were no longer living in the pre-world war era, when they could do pretty much whatever they wanted. So what happened in the end was that the USSR (not Canada!) warned them, and demanded that they stop their imperialist aggression. US did not want confrontation with the USSR to defend the old imperialist idiots on this issue, so it told the idiots to get the eff out of Egypt or else. That's exactly what they did, with their tails firmly between their legs. British and French press and some historians still haven't fully come to terms with this change in the world, and still miss the good old days of white men's burden, when they could oppress the wogs and niggers the way they liked (hence the 'Middle East was peaceful under British rules' garbage above). 

4. Middle East was not peaceful under the British. The British caused 90% of the problems still there, by the Belfour declaration, oppressing the Palestinians (I've seen old Palestinians on TV who swear that British trated them worse than the Israelis), dividing the Arabs arbitrarily, setting in the frameworks to steal their oil wealth, bombing, torturing, killing them whenever they disagreed (they gassed the Kurds way before Saddam did). British were total barbarians (French were better).

USA and USSR understood the new imperial dynamics of the post world war world. They created vassal states and dependencies in the region and expanded their military and economic presence. 

A reasonable man would not allow his opinion of your post to be unduly influenced by your location. However, given the nature of the content of your replies, I can only think that your politics are greatly coloured by where you reside. I therefore think it best that I refrain from answering. To end on a positive note, though, I will say that having worked in Havana for many weeks until late last year, I do love your countries rum, music, women and cigars, although quite where one goes for a decent meal is anybodie's guess !!

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 12:58

As far as US policy during the Suez affair, AFAIK, Britain and France acted without the knowledge of the US in their joint intervention.  The result included threats of Soviet action in central Europe which was certainly not in the interests of NATO's membership.  Such an affront to acknowledged US leadership of NATO could hardly go unaddressed.  Eisenhower was pissed at them.  Perhaps they got back at us during Viet Nam....and perhaps AoO can address that.

Dismantling European empires would deprive certain states of the resources to wage major wars, and solidify US hegemony in Europe.  This was a conscious policy, frankly, to keep Germany and France from disturbing the peace again.  The policy did not include bankrupting anyone, and even if it had, the Marshall Plan turned that on it's head in short order.

Austerity Britain, up into the 1950s, suffered the effects of thirty years of war and the resulting costs of war.  Bankruptcy was a possibility but not because of policies of the US.  

It is well known that Eisenhower later admitted that his failure to support Britain and France over the Suez affair was the one mistake of his presidency.   I rest my case on that point.

Your comment that a Soviet threat to Europe arising over Suez NOT being in the best interests of NATO is fatuous, I am afraid to say. YES, the Soviets DID and ALWAYS did rattle their sabres on issues of this nature, since that is how they conduct, to this day, their foreign policy, and it may well have been the American view that the Soviets were to be mollified, but then no US interests were then being directly threatened, whereas the loss of the Suez lifeline would have been critical to ALL European countries especially GB and France.  When the US interesrs WERE threatened( i.e over Cuba) just a few years later, that wretch Kennedy brought the World to the brink of nuclear annihilation !

It sems to me that you ARE stating that it IS Americas foreign policy to dismantle Empires (in order to secure global peace.  Yet by dint of the Marshall Aid plan it restored the ability of both France and Germany to wage war again, albeit harder so in the case of Germany prior to its re-unification.

If by "bankruptcy" we mean the financial inability of GB to maintain its Empire, then "bankruptcy" WAS achieved and largely due to the foreign/financial policies of the US towards its principal ally GB. What any nation without a policy of the dismantling of the Empires of others on its agenda should have done, was to make its terms and conditions of its loans much less onerous ; after all, despite GBs parlous financial situation post WW2, it did continue to act as World Policeman much more effectively and successfully than ever the USA did !  

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 14:47
It's a nice myth, but it doesn't really stand up to examination. The transfer of power from London to the colonies actually began in the 1830s, with the idea of 'responsible government' which saw increasing levels of self-rule. This process continued and expanded due to internal pressures. By the 1870s, it was an apparent trend whose merits were heavily debated - with the conclusion being that it was in Britain's interest to undertake a managed, staged transition from empire to trade bloc.
1830s? 1870s? OK, you are right. Imperialism and colonialism are myths. Race for Africa never happened. So-called "Age of Imperialism" never took place. Britain was trying to promote self rule in the lands they ruled but it took them 200 years to arrange that. 

Yeah, decolonisation, sure. You just revolutionised the 19th century history single handedly. Well maybe together with neo-cons like Niall Ferguson.

Yes, they did continue to expand the empire. At the same time as exploring decolonization. A simplistic analysis does not serve understanding well here. By the late 1800s, Britain's status as the predominant industrial power was being challenged and it was losing ground in export markets; it desperately needed to develop new export markets and consumer bases outside of Europe and America. Decolonization was seen as the answer.
To the contrary, one of the main reasons behind the increase in the colonialisation rate was the rush for new markets. Not decolonisation.

Not only that, but the economic model of empire that had served Britain so well to that point became maladapted to changes in industrial capitalism. Domestic producers - for instance, the agricultural sector - began to suffer.
Agricultural sector amounted to nothing in Britain in 1900s. You are right about that direct rule became non-feasable, but it was something USA and USSR have noticed and applied before Britain did. That's why post-war 20th century imperialism is different than the pre-war colonialism. Some circles in British government may have anticipated what was going to happen, but dismantling of their empire was in no way a voluntary British policy. They only did it when they had to.

It is no coincidence that the abandonment of empire in the 50s and 60s also saw unprecedented economic growth and increases in living standards in the UK itself.

This is irrelevant and also wrong. If you want unprecedented growth (both absolute but especially relative to the rest of the world) in England, you should look into the 19th century. In the 1950s and 60s everybody had grown, it was not a Britain-specific thing. In the 19th century, pint-sized Britain was the 'world's workshop', they dominated the global economy. After what you call 'unprecedented' growth period Britain hardly had a global economic reach.

There had always been hostile natives, so they did not suddenly 'turn hostile'.
So according to you INC had nothing to do with Indian independence. Gandhi and Nehru and others do not mean anything. It was all a benevolent gift to the Indian wogs from their white masters, right? The fact, however, is, subject peoples turned against their foreign overlords all around the world during the 20th century as modernity, nationalism and marxism spread to the non-european portions of the world. Greatest weapon of the imperialists in the 19th century was the apathy of the subject peoples, which was destroyed in this period. 

And yes, they had no money, which is actually a reason not to abandon empire, if it were true that it was a lucrative proposition. If empire had been a profitable proposition at this point, Britain could have solved not only its economic crisis, but prevented the social and economic problems that were attendant with decommissioning its troops, by keeping it. The empire was not profitable, however. The economic crisis merely made the ideal of empire a luxury Britain could no longer afford to indulge.
Your model is wrong. The Empire is extremely beneficial, but it is high-maintenance. If you can meet the high maintenance costs, you will reap great benefits. If you can't meet the costs, however, you can not scale it down so that you pay half the cost and get half the benefits. This is what happened the Britain. They did not have enough money to pay the maintenance costs for their Empire. Because they were bankrupted by the wars and because the maintenance costs themselves became astronomical thanks to local independence movements.     

Alternative/fantasy history doesn't change what really happened. If it wasn't the Romans it could have been the Carthaginians or something, but that's not history, it's fantasy.
Swedish PM brokered many deals during the Cold War. If you are interested in Historical Fantasy, you should look at your 'superpower Canada calling the shots in Cold War' story.

Besides which, it is not necessarily true at all. Canada had a rather unique relationship with all the parties (Israel, Britain, the US, and Egypt) involved. The Swedes and Danes were just not in the same sort of position - in fact, nobody else was.

I don't deny that the Canadian PM made a good job of cleaning up the mess, but the situation was resolved by the USSR and USA, like most other situations during the Cold War.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 15:00
A reasonable man would not allow his opinion of your post to be unduly influenced by your location.
That would indeed be reasonable, given that you are mistaken about my location. 

However, given the nature of the content of your replies, I can only think that your politics are greatly coloured by where you reside.
This is amazingly correct. It is amazing because you start from a false premise (that I reside in Cuba) and come to true conclusion (that my views were formed by my experiences in the country that I live in). I live in the UK, and I write these because I saw how you went to plunder Iraq, how you deny your imperial atrocities, how you have a corporate dominated economy, etc.  

To end on a positive note, though, I will say that having worked in Havana for many weeks until late last year, I do love your countries rum, music, women and cigars, although quite where one goes for a decent meal is anybodie's guess !!
I am not Cuban, but I thank you on their behalf. I also like your country's gin and music. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 15:32

1. Why are the Indian population still alive and well.
Alive and well? That's like saying 'if Hitler killed the Jews, why there are so many alive and well today'? Yea, there are a few Indians 'alive and well', living in 'reservations' like endangered species in Africa, where before they owned all of the continent.  

AFAIK there was no stealing of land unless you think of Mexico under the Spaniards whi stole that land and Cuba etc. BTW if you study history well enough you will see everyone has stolen lanmd at some time from earlier inhabitants.
So it will be OK when Mexico will reclaim all the land you stole from them. Which may happen soon enough, given the demographic trends.

US has bases in some countries and does not arbitrarily invade other countries without provocation apart from about 1 as far as I can remember.
You don't remember very far then. How old are you, 7?  

Reading racist drivel like this makes me hope the next independence movement will kill more redneck Americans. Luckily your empire is in terminal decline and I will see the world flush the toilet on your kind. 

The Canal is Egyptian and they do what they goddam please with it. They Nationalised it, they even paid the stock holders full compensation. All you can do is STFU at that point. Not draw up secret invasion and partition plans and attack them.  

Ooooh, Britain was given 'mandates' to 'oversee', ooh poor Britain, sending its brightest and the best to oversee the savages and bring them civilisation, to save them from themselves. The white man's heavy burden... Who started the Palestinian-Jewish debacle other than the drooling evil embecile Britain put in charge in Palestine? His grave has him depicted in Crusader armour... And what happened when the Palestinians (whom the British considered sub-human) started protesting? They were killed and tortured by the British during the riots in the 30s, that's what the old Palestinian who was a protester at the time was referring to. I saw this on BBC, even the British don't deny it. It seemingly takes the lowest of the imperialist to apologise for this, all in the name of true nazi-like racial solidarity, given that you are not even British...  

Completely retarded reading of the Cold War (as if we expected anything else). Soviets had their Empire and they were concerned in defending it. The rest of the world, however, was under Western empire, which was broken, thanks mostly to local independence movements, but also support from the Soviets. This process is still going on as the West becomes weaker and weaker in relative terms. 

Well, that was a nice polite reply which clearly shows up the level of your knowledge and of your prejudices. 

First very few if any races in any nation are the original inhabitants. Cuba's original inhabitants were at the least driven out or slaughtered by the Spanish as were the Mexicans,if they didn't surrender. The original British were driven out/ assimiliated by the Anglo Saxons who had in their turn been pushed out of their ancestral homes etc. Carry on that theme with most of Europe, Africa, Middle East etc.

Apart from the latest invasion of Iraq, please show where the US has invaded and conquered and assimiliated another country without reason.

If you think of what President Mugabe is doing to his people is fine and great then I am sorry for your delusion. He is not the only one. India and others are clearly doing better and are keen to stay associated with Britain as a Commonwealth member.

Suez was certainly in Egyptian lands but the money and running was provided elsewhere. Compensation was eventually paid but that wasn't much on the cards previously. USSR of course rattled their sabre to distract everyone else from their brutal suppression of the Hungarian peoples who wanted their freedom.

Yes most of the Middle East was under Ottoman control and something had to be done when that Empire disintegrated to keep things under control and the inhabitants safe. Thank you for the references, perhaps you should read them and think about what was going on. Exactly when did the British think any Palestinian or anyone else for that matter as sub-human ? Note by the way Britain never said to the Palestinians and Jews 'Fight each other'. The British desire was to keep the peace.

I note the USSR and Cuba and others are never backward in using torture. I also note you confirm the USSR had an Empire which she ruled by brute force. That has disintegrated but she is still trying to keep control.

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 15:50

edgewaters,

Just a quick aside here:  Those junky old destroyers were still valuable.  There were still, in 1940/41 over 100 of them in service in the US navy awaiting replacement by more modern classes, and all the DDs in the Asiatic squadron were old four stackers.

Fifty destroyers, old or not, were useful to ASW in the Atlantic.  They could still make 30 knots, could drop a good number of depth charges, and could outgun any U boat on the surface.  How long would it have taken for British yards to build 50 destroyers?  The emergency flotilla construction program didn't go into effect until 1941, and the classes were based on existing plans for WW I ships!

Quite right !  These 50 destrpyers were absolutely critical to the British war effort.  Even allowing for the contribution to the ASW, it was one of these that destroyed the lock gates at St. Nazaire.

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 15:54

1830s? 1870s? OK, you are right. Imperialism and colonialism are myths. Race for Africa never happened. So-called "Age of Imperialism" never took place. Britain was trying to promote self rule in the lands they ruled but it took them 200 years to arrange that.

What's the point of arguing against your own strawman? Seems sort of ... masturbatory, to me. If you find that pleasing, be my guest, but in order to make a rebuttal you have to actually address the point.

Yeah, decolonisation, sure. You just revolutionised the 19th century history single handedly. Well maybe together with neo-cons like Niall Ferguson.

Uhmmm ... that IS 19th century history, and there's nothing new about it. Self-rule is explicitly discussed not only in the 1887 Imperial Conference, but in the public forum as well.

To the contrary, one of the main reasons behind the increase in the colonialisation rate was the rush for new markets. Not decolonisation.

The rush for new markets caused both the expansion of the empire, and movement towards self-rule of the colonies. Essentially the British plan was to expand the empire to its limits, cause the colonies to become economically dependant, and then devolve self-rule to them once that was achieved.

This is partially why some former colonies have experienced so much trouble in the wake of independance. An economic dependancy was created, but then Britain abandoned the idea of even a trade bloc, leaving these (now dependant) economies to fend for themselves.

This is irrelevant and also wrong. If you want unprecedented growth (both absolute but especially relative to the rest of the world) in England, you should look into the 19th century.

Sorry but that's applicable only in a relative sense, that is, compared to the rest of the world. In absolute terms, no comparable increase in living standards in such a short time was ever achieved in the 19th century, or even in the early years of the 20th before the wars. Not even close.

So according to you INC had nothing to do with Indian independence. Gandhi and Nehru and others do not mean anything. It was all a benevolent gift to the Indian wogs from their white masters, right? The fact, however, is, subject peoples turned against their foreign overlords all around the world during the 20th century as modernity, nationalism and marxism spread to the non-european portions of the world. Greatest weapon of the imperialists in the 19th century was the apathy of the subject peoples

Oh please, save all your "wogs" and "niggers" and "racists" and "kill all American rednecks" crap. It doesn't help your argument, it just makes you look like a bloodthirsty simpleton. I'm familiar enough with you that I know you know better. You could make your points without any of that.

As for the rest: have you actually studied the British experience in India, Afghanistan etc in the 19th century? It sure doesn't seem like it.

Your model is wrong. The Empire is extremely beneficial, but it is high-maintenance. If you can meet the high maintenance costs, you will reap great benefits.

This might be true if you're trying to build an empire. But if you've already got one, you're already reaping whatever 'great benefits' (ie profit) that exist. There is either a net benefit, or not.

It might even be true if, for some reason, you already have an empire but your military is inactive ... but at the time, the problem was decommissioning an army, not raising one.

Swedish PM brokered many deals during the Cold War. If you are interested in Historical Fantasy, you should look at your 'superpower Canada calling the shots in Cold War' story.

He may well have done ... but not that one, as he was not in a position to do so. As far as your characterization of my position, you seem to be building strawmen like a wheat farmer next door to a bird sanctuary.

I don't deny that the Canadian PM made a good job of cleaning up the mess, but the situation was resolved by the USSR and USA, like most other situations during the Cold War.

The USSR did not 'resolve' the situation. It made only one proposal for a solution: World War 3. It played no role at all in the solution, and in fact, when faced with the viable solution for peace presented by Pearson - which was agreeable to both Egypt and Israel - the USSR abstained. It did not present a solution to the UN. It conducted no negotiation with parties to the conflict. In short, the USSR provided a motive for resolution, but took absolutely no part in an actual solution and was in fact disgusted and frustrated in its ambitions when one appeared. It had lost the chance to take control of the Suez, cut Europe off from oil, and thereby bring such liberating Soviet joys as "mass terror" (Lenin's term, not mine!) and gulags to Western Europe.

The USA, because of the Soviet threat, was interested in finding a solution but was unable to do so. Their sanctions against the UK and France were ignored, and their proposal in the UN was shot down. American forces did not play a role in UNEF, either. The US did back Pearson's proposal which contributed in no small part to its success.

But ultimately, the situation was resolved not by the USA nor even by Pearson, but by the UNGA. Without any help from the Soviet Union.

I am not Cuban

Ah ... that would explain the lack of nuance.

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 17:31
What's the point of arguing against your own strawman? Seems sort of ... masturbatory, to me. If you find that pleasing, be my guest, but in order to make a rebuttal you have to actually address the point.

Like you address the points I raised? Let me tell you the point in arguing. It allows us to clarify the positions. When the going gets tough all the liars and the wolves in sheeps clothing have to reveal their true nature. Like how you reveal your true nature and side with the imperialists. The 'straw man' is real if you rush to defend it. Only masturbation here is performed by you imperial apologists lusting over your lost glory.

Uhmmm ... that IS 19th century history, and there's nothing new about it. Self-rule is explicitly discussed not only in the 1887 Imperial Conference, but in the public forum as well.

You seem to have no idea about the 19th century. Also 'discussing' something  (even if that happened) does not mean that it is a national policy or strategy. If you want me to take you seriously show me what policies were enacted, not 'discussed'.

Essentially the British plan was to expand the empire to its limits, cause the colonies to become economically dependant, and then devolve self-rule to them once that was achieved.
Proof? As in documents? Laws? Actions?

This is partially why some former colonies have experienced so much trouble in the wake of independance. An economic dependancy was created, but then Britain abandoned the idea of even a trade bloc, leaving these (now dependant) economies to fend for themselves.

You are right about Britain creating dependencies, but you have given us no proof of them creating self-rule. Because they had no intention of granting self-rule to anyone. Everyone who got it had to fight for it, starting with the Americans back in the 1770s.

Sorry but that's applicable only in a relative sense, that is, compared to the rest of the world. In absolute terms, no comparable increase in living standards in such a short time was ever achieved in the 19th century, or even in the early years of the 20th before the wars. Not even close.
Nice maneouver there, launching smoke screens, are we? 'Increase in living standards' was a result of socialist/Keynesian policies after the wars, as the distribution improved. Increase in total GDP, however, which was what you were talking about, was huge in the 19th century.

Oh please, save all your "wogs" and "niggers" and "racists" and "kill all American rednecks" crap. It doesn't help your argument, it just makes you look like a bloodthirsty simpleton. You could make your points without any of that.
Your failure to understand why I use this language just makes you look like a drooling embecile. Let me clarify why I use that language: you side with the imperialists. My job is to reveal your true nature. What colour of lipstick you put on your pig is not my concern. My concern is to make sure everyone understands that it is still a pig, and you are engaged in imperial apologism. In nazi forums they write 'British empire brought civilisation to the wogs', in AE you write 'Britain worked to give India self-rule'. You are both on the same side, have the same aim. If you believe your position is different, you will prove it.

As for the rest: have you actually studied the British experience in India, Afghanistan etc in the 19th century? It sure doesn't seem like it.
I did actually. British are responsible for more deaths there than Hitler. Quite an accomplishment for the 19th century... 

This might be true if you're trying to build an empire. But if you've already got one, you're already reaping whatever 'great benefits' (ie profit) that exist. There is either a net benefit, or not.
No what I have written applies at all stages.

The USSR did not 'resolve' the situation. It made only one proposal for a solution: World War 3.
You clearly have no idea about Cold War politics. I recommend you read up on that. If Soviets wanted WW3, they would have attacked, not talked (or more correctly, postured, which was typical way of conducting business in the Cold War).

It did not present a solution to the UN.
UN? You mean the same UN which has UK and France and US as veto-power holding permanent members? The same UN which invaded Korea few years ago to fight against Communism? UN never solved any problem which was not agreed on by the US and the USSR. You are the first person I've seen who believes UN has some power by itself.

In short, the USSR provided a motive for resolution, but took absolutely no part in an actual solution and was in fact disgusted and frustrated in its ambitions when one appeared. It had lost the chance to take control of the Suez, cut Europe off from oil, and thereby bring such liberating Soviet joys as "mass terror" (Lenin's term, not mine!) and gulags to Western Europe.
Lenin? Terror? Gulags? Talk about strawmen. So you see, you show your true colours as you get angrier. All terror Lenin knew he learned from your kind in the Civil War. As for concentration camps and gulags, that's a speciality of Britain and nazis, again racists, imperialists and anti-communists like you. 

The USA, because of the Soviet threat, was interested in finding a solution but was unable to do so. Their sanctions against the UK and France were ignored, and their proposal in the UN was shot down. American forces did not play a role in UNEF, either. The US did back Pearson's proposal which contributed in no small part to its success.
Interesting fantasy. What really happened was US did not call when the Soviets upped the ante, because their idiot partners acted without consulting them. What's more the idiot partner (Eden) came to the US asking for money, as they could not afford the war, and of course the US said 'go fornicate yourself' in diplomatic language. So the project fell apart, and the crisis came to an end. What happened in the end was about how the mess would be cleared up. The solution was reached the moment when USSR and USA came to an agreement that the aggression should end.  

But ultimately, the situation was resolved not by the USA nor even by Pearson, but by the UNGA. Without any help from the Soviet Union.
Yeah, sure. Oh Canada, saviour of the World!

Oh please excuse my racial inferiority...

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 21:51

..hello again...

……i think a principal difficulty in establishing just who played a major role in ending the Suez affair is that Washington did its business with London behind closed doors…the threat of financial pressure, oil leverage, and aggressive diplomacy in Anglo-American dealings during the crisis was kept secret….the problem therefore, was that it appeared to those not privy to UK-US communications that Britain only suffered a humiliating climb down due to communist intimidation ……Soviet threats to launch rocket/nuclear attacks were not taken seriously by the Americans or the British then, and since proved to have been a bluff anyway…however, this is how it seemed to outsiders and Khrushchev milked the perception of a victory for all its worth…..which of course he would, that makes sense…and so would the Americans and the British if they were in a similar position… in addition, it seems Nasser later acknowledged that it was the Americans who defeated Anglo-French-Israeli aggression and not the USSR……but this does not really matter, at the time, the ‘reality’ for many was that in effect, Britain endured a double-blow from being knocked back by her closest ally and the humiliation of a defeat by the ‘enemy’ in the cold war……

….I don’t want to bring in another subject area, but it was a similar case with the Cuban crisis….it is commonly perceived that the affair was an all-American ‘victory’ but a good case for success could be made for Khrushchev in that he was granted concessions by the American administration, but these were also kept secret at the time, and therefore, the ‘perception’ was that Kennedy triumphed…this view was felt in the Kremlin and the idea that the Soviet Union was seen to have ‘lost face,’ may have constituted one of the reasons for Khrushchev’s downfall…. the ‘cold war’ was generally about ‘perceptions’ anyway…all sides bluffed and counter bluffed and  a large part of Soviet and American policy was formulated according to perceptions of the other sides strength….very rarely was the truth really known…

….anyway, getting back to the nature of UK-US relations, Suez was indeed the most humiliating episode in post-war Anglo-American affairs, and in the face of some uncomfortable truths regarding global status and independence, the end result led Britain to decide not only to restore closer ties with America but also brought about a clearer orientation towards a more established European policy…in the wake of Suez, there followed a sharp decline in the Anglo-American relationship but it also resulted in the view on both sides of the Atlantic that such a fissure should never be allowed to occur again..

..all the best..AoO…

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 22:12
It was actually the UN General Assembly that ended up being the one to impose a solution ... America tried to resolve it on its own in the SC and via sanctions, and couldn't, so it appealed to the GA under the special "Unity for Peace" clause which authorized the GA to do an end-run around the SC and authorize military force by majority vote, without possibility of veto. Canada drafted the proposal and it's Pearson's presentation most members credited as being the one that influenced their vote, to the degree he was granted the Nobel Peace Prize. As was said during its presentation, "Therefore, it may well be said that the Suez crisis was a victory for the United Nations and for the man who contributed more than anyone else to save the world at that time. That man was Lester Pearson." (Definately some over the top language there, but somebody made it irresistable for me to post that particular quote!)

So, it was really alot more than a double blow. Britain was not just backhanded by her most powerful ally, not just perceived to have had to back down before Soviet demands, but a Commonwealth member engineered that state of affairs and the international community, as a whole and by a very decisive vote, put an end to Britains activities.

The US's negotiations with the British behind closed doors must have failed, as the British vetoed the American resolution in the SC. They didn't agree to the GA resolution either, but they didn't have a veto there and couldn't stop the UN from deploying UNEF. Truly a series of unfortunate decisions - had Britain simply complied with the US in the first place, it would still have been humiliated, but not to such a great degree. On the other hand, what happened was unprecedented and there was surely no way that Britain could have expected anything like it to be the outcome.

Practically the only time the GA was ever able to exert any power.

Date Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 13:53
To the faceless moderator who removed my second post:

I assume it was because I wrote that edgewaters 'lacked brains'. It was a direct reply to him as he wrote '[what I write] just makes you look like a bloodthirsty simpleton'.

I have hereby changed my post, it no longer alleges that he lacks brains, but instead reads 'what you write just makes you look like a drooling imbecile'. I am sure this will be acceptable for you. 

Bring my post back here today (by 00:00 GMT). 

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 16:57

Let me tell you the point in arguing. It allows us to clarify the positions.

Deliberate distortion doesn't really assist in that process.

Like how you reveal your true nature and side with the imperialists.

A knee-jerk response. I'm not 'siding' with anyone. You just presume I am because my views on the events that happened don't agree with your imperialist Soviet revisionism. I haven't made any moral/ethical judgement about decolonization or the lack thereof.

Also 'discussing' something  (even if that happened) does not mean that it is a national policy or strategy. If you want me to take you seriously show me what policies were enacted, not 'discussed'.
That was already done. You know quite well what policies were enacted, within about 3 or 4 decades after the issue entered the public consciousness. Which isn't really that slow, considering the political culture we're talking about is evolutionary (rather than revolutionary) in nature. 

Essentially the British plan was to expand the empire to its limits, cause the colonies to become economically dependant, and then devolve self-rule to them once that was achieved.
Proof? As in documents? Laws? Actions?
See above. Again, you know very well what measures were taken as regards self-rule. I don't suppose I need to prove to you the rest - expansionism and economic dependance - or do I?
Because they had no intention of granting self-rule to anyone. Everyone who got it had to fight for it, starting with the Americans back in the 1770s.
Absolutely and utterly incorrect. When did Canada have to fight Britain? Australia? New Zealand? There were conflicts in South Africa, but they didn't have anything to do with independance from Britain. There were no conflicts preceding independance in numerous African colonies, either (Swaziland, Zambia, etc). The statement that "everyone" had to fight for it is quite simply wrong.
This whole notion that "apathetic" natives were just languishing under the British whip until Marxism came along and showed the "wogs" and "niggers" the light of self-determination (two can play that game, friend), thereby collapsing the British empire, is rubbish.

Nice maneouver there, launching smoke screens, are we? 'Increase in living standards' was a result of socialist/Keynesian policies after the wars, as the distribution improved. Increase in total GDP, however, which was what you were talking about, was huge in the 19th century.
Sorry but there was no GDP increase in any two consecutive decades of the 19th century to match the 1950-1970 increase. Neither in absolute terms nor as a percentage.
You could probably find much larger increases in productivity, industrial output, agricultural output, etc. But not GDP or living standards.

Let me clarify why I use that language: you side with the imperialists.
That's just your knee-jerk perception. See above. 
My job is to reveal your true nature.
Oh my! We don't think too highly of ourselves or anything, do we?
In nazi forums they write 'British empire brought civilisation to the wogs', in AE you write 'Britain worked to give India self-rule'. You are both on the same side, have the same aim. If you believe your position is different, you will prove it.
Those are hardly equivalent positions! The Soviet Union (eventually) worked to give numerous republics and satellites independance. Do you agree with that statement? If so, then you must believe that the Soviets thought they were "bringing civilization to the wogs" because the two statements are equivalent (according to you).
"An apple is an orange, so you're a nazi!" C'mon. Gimme a break.

No what I have written applies at all stages.
It's a simple question: was there a net profit or not?

UN? You mean the same UN which has UK and France and US as veto-power holding permanent members?
Yep, that one. The same one that managed to circumvent that very problem in the Suez crisis (without any help from the Soviet imperialists in doing so).
The same UN which invaded Korea few years ago to fight against Communism? UN never solved any problem which was not agreed on by the US and the USSR.
The USSR never agreed to the solution in the Suez Crisis.

So you see, you show your true colours as you get angrier. All terror Lenin knew he learned from your kind in the Civil War. As for concentration camps and gulags, that's a speciality of Britain and nazis, again racists, imperialists and anti-communists like you.
Errm ... who is it that's supposed to be getting angry and showing true colours, again? 

Oh Canada, saviour of the World!
You mean Pearson. Big smile
At least, that's what they said at his Nobel Peace Prize presentation. It was a perception, at the time.
"Therefore, it may well be said that the Suez crisis was a victory for the United Nations and for the man who contributed more than anyone else to save the world at that time. That man was Lester Pearson."
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1957/press.html - http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1957/press.html

Oh please excuse my racial inferiority...
I don't see what the nuanced understanding Cuba has of Canada, due to our special relationship, has to do with your "race" (whatever you happen to think that is, I surely don't know - I figured you were Cuban, but was puzzled about your bizarre analysis. That you are not Cuban clears that up).

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 12:33

Deliberate distortion doesn't really assist in that process.

Says the guy who's arguing that Britain wanted to get rid of its colonies in the 19th century... 

A knee-jerk response. I'm not 'siding' with anyone. You just presume I am because my views on the events that happened don't agree with your imperialist Soviet revisionism. I haven't made any moral/ethical judgement about decolonization or the lack thereof.

I called the Soviets an Empire, obviously I am not a revisionist. You have obviously sided with the imperialist guy. He wrote that Britain had the intention to let go of the colonies (your words) and decolonisation was bad for the subject peoples and I objected to his propaganda. You immediately censored my post (or told your moderator buddies to do that, which is the same thing) and rushed in to attack me here, and later censored my response to you as well. That's bloody well siding with the imperialists, typical behaviour of those who used to be called social-fascist in the past. 

That was already done. You know quite well what policies were enacted, within about 3 or 4 decades after the issue entered the public consciousness. Which isn't really that slow, considering the political culture we're talking about is evolutionary (rather than revolutionary) in nature.

What bollocks. So let's see, things were 'discussed' in 1870s, and some policies were enacted 40 years later, so that proves your point... Yea, right... I don't believe anyone in AE is stupid enough to buy this. So who do you think you are fooling? No country plans ahead for 40 years. And Britain had no such plans or policies. 

See above. Again, you know very well what measures were taken as regards self-rule. I don't suppose I need to prove to you the rest - expansionism and economic dependance - or do I?

I am still to hear when the Indians got their parliament and elections. 200 years of democracy-loving, freedom-cultivating British rule, and when have they got their parliament? When have the Africans got their parliaments and elections?  

Absolutely and utterly incorrect. When did Canada have to fight Britain? Australia? New Zealand? There were conflicts in South Africa, but they didn't have anything to do with independance from Britain. There were no conflicts preceding independance in numerous African colonies, either (Swaziland, Zambia, etc). The statement that "everyone" had to fight for it is quite simply wrong.
Well, I did not mean physical fighting for all cases, which was of course impossible in territories where the natives were exterminated. I have India in mind, where majority of British subjects lived. Also Africa. 

This whole notion that "apathetic" natives were just languishing under the British whip until Marxism came along and showed the "wogs" and "niggers" the light of self-determination (two can play that game, friend), thereby collapsing the British empire, is rubbish.
Where have I written that Gandhi was a Marxist? You are just lying in desperation. Socio-economic conditions in the 20th century created the independence movements in the dependencies, which were organised along nationalist and/or marxist lines. I am a materialist and I know that ideas/ideologies follow socio-economic changes. 

That's just your knee-jerk perception. See above.
Only knee-jerk response comes from you in attacking me. You also attacked in another thread I was involved in. 

Oh my! We don't think too highly of ourselves or anything, do we?
? I don't know how highly you think of yourself, neither do I care. I just wrote that I believe that I have a job. Which involves exposing your lies.  

Those are hardly equivalent positions! The Soviet Union (eventually) worked to give numerous republics and satellites independance. Do you agree with that statement? If so, then you must believe that the Soviets thought they were "bringing civilization to the wogs" because the two statements are equivalent (according to you).
You lost track of any sensible train of tought, it seems. Soviets never gave their satellites any independence! Hungary 1956, Czech Republic 1968, Poland in the 80s... All the way to the end they tried to keep their satellites in line. Just like the British did with their colonies and the Americans still do with their satellites. Of course, Soviets helped Viet Nam or Cuba or South Africa and 100 other countries and insurgencies outside their sphere, but those countries all had indigenous independence movements.

"An apple is an orange, so you're a nazi!" C'mon. Gimme a break.
You are not a nazi, just a social fascist.

The USSR never agreed to the solution in the Suez Crisis.
USSR and USA already solved the problem outside the UN.

You mean Pearson. Big smile
At least, that's what they said at his Nobel Peace Prize presentation. It was a perception, at the time.
"Therefore, it may well be said that the Suez crisis was a victory for the United Nations and for the man who contributed more than anyone else to save the world at that time. That man was Lester Pearson."
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1957/press.html - http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1957/press.html
The Nobel Peace Prize? You mean the one Sakharov got? Father of the Soviet Hydrogen Bomb? The man who ensured that we will all die in a nuclear war? The prize that Henry Kissinger (a Hitler wannabe) got, but Gandhi never did? And you expect me to respect that? For me it tells a lot that you respect that. 

I don't see what the nuanced understanding Cuba has of Canada, due to our special relationship, has to do with your "race" (whatever you happen to think that is, I surely don't know - I figured you were Cuban, but was puzzled about your bizarre analysis. That you are not Cuban clears that up).
Let's see, you are a member here for three years, and argued with me in various threads, but you thought I was Cuban until now... Well, that means either you are a moron, or a liar.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 14:00

Well if you are aware Independence was always a goal of Britain although I would not deny there were forces opposed to that. 40 years is not a long time and yes countries do plan in many areas over that or even longer timescales.

Note also if referring to me, I did NOT say decolonisation was bad. I said that the RESULTS of decolonisation has been bad in many areas by the actions of those who took power. I quoted Mugabe as an example.

I would suggest to you that basically the British Empire devolved power to the inhabitants (including the original inhabitants) of the various countries from the 1800's on. Some took longer than others some relatively quick. AFAIK the went peacefully in Austrailia, Canada, New Zealand, Fiji, Pacific Islands, Malaysia, West Indies, South Africa, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Basutoland, Mauritius, Seychelles and others. Troubles there were in Rhodesia and Kenya and lesser troubles in India. However, all gained their independance and remained in the British Commonwealth and were pleased to do so. Many of them have adopted British Parliamentary traditions.

I assume you disapprove very much the way China and the USSR have handled their empires and still do to this day.

I presume your location as shown has given rise to an assumption you are Cuban. Not unreasonable.

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 14:06

Says the guy who's arguing that Britain wanted to get rid of its colonies in the 19th century...

Eh? Desire hasn't got a thing to do with it.

And no, they were not seized of the matter in 1887 ... they had begun to discuss it, because necessity had already imposed several ad hoc instances of more autonomy being granted to colonies. In particular, the reforms of 'responsible government' as it was termed by the British (not me). Apologies for the emphasis, but it's necessary given your style.

You have obviously sided with the imperialist guy.

I have? I was arguing with him until you jumped in and proclaimed everyone else full of "bollocks" and magnanimously began expounding your brilliant ideas to us clueless imperialist fascist racist nazis.

He wrote that Britain had the intention to let go of the colonies (your words)

He - the "imperialist guy" - wrote my words?

Anyway, if you mean nuvolari, you really ought to try reading through threads more carefully. That wasn't his position at all, he was arguing against just that, as you are. His contention was that the US had destroyed the empire, and he was bitter about it.

and decolonisation was bad for the subject peoples

Well ... it was, in some cases. I didn't say it was always bad. I said some former colonies have had a hard go since independance, because they were made economically dependant and then abandoned.

You immediately censored my post

Immediate wasn't fast enough. Your post got censored because you were calling for killings of a certain ethnic group of a certain nationality. Any reasonable person would understand that such is unacceptable, but apparently, you still don't ... it's all a racist, imperialist conspiracy against you, and we should have just understood that it's your right to encourage mass killings. Right?

It must be lonely for you at such lofty ethical heights.

I don't believe anyone in AE is stupid enough to buy this.

Indeed.

No country plans ahead for 40 years.

Then what do you call social security? 

I am still to hear when the Indians got their parliament and elections. 200 years of democracy-loving, freedom-cultivating British rule, and when have they got their parliament?

India has a Parliament, right now, as we speak.

When have the Africans got their parliaments and elections?

Mostly in the 50s. Are these supposed to be rhetorical questions?

I believe that I have a job.

I honestly don't think you're going to find that the "true colours" are going to be what you expect or preconceive them to be, and you might expose your own "true colours" in the process, more than you do anyone else's. Which may not be what you expect, either.

Well, I did not mean physical fighting for all cases, which was of course impossible in territories where the natives were exterminated. I have India in mind, where majority of British subjects lived. Also Africa. 
Your example was one of an Anglo/European population - you said that "all" former colonies had to fight for independance like the US did. Clearly, then, you are changing your position and being dishonest about what it was.
You lost track of any sensible train of tought, it seems.
I suppose it would look that way from far enough out in space.
Soviets never gave their satellites any independence!
No, the Soviets were forced by practical considerations to abandon them, just as the British were. Different considerations, of course. But both had to work out a transfer of power. 
You are not a nazi, just a social fascist.
Errrm ... ok, then ... 
The Nobel Peace Prize? You mean the one Sakharov got? Father of the Soviet Hydrogen Bomb? The man who ensured that we will all die in a nuclear war?
Yep, that's the one. Personally I don't think much of it either, sometimes. But that's not really the point, is it? The point was that there was a perception, in many minds at the time, that Pearson was the individual most responsible for the resolution of the crisis.

Let's see, you are a member here for three years, and argued with me in various threads, but you thought I was Cuban until now... Well, that means either you are a moron, or a liar.
No, it means that I just respond to the content of posts often without paying any attention to who wrote them. Unless they make some sort of impression, good or bad, which you failed to do before calling for killings.

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 17:45
I have? I was arguing with him until you jumped in and proclaimed everyone else full of "bollocks" and magnanimously began expounding your brilliant ideas to us clueless imperialist fascist racist nazis.
If you are interested in the truth, I don't see it like this at all. I don't consider you clueless. You wrote the propaganda of your respective sides, I responded with the propaganda of my side. No need for ad-hominem attacks to explain this.

He - the "imperialist guy" - wrote my words?

Anyway, if you mean nuvolari, you really ought to try reading through threads more carefully. That wasn't his position at all, he was arguing against just that, as you are. His contention was that the US had destroyed the empire, and he was bitter about it.

No, I don't mean nuvolari, although he is also an imperialist. The one I mentioned knows who he is and he already replied. You probably have forgotten to read what's been written in your haste to attack me. Anyway, that guy wrote the same thing that you have written. I responded to him, and you attacked me, with all your arsenal. Naturally I conclude you are on the same side.

Immediate wasn't fast enough. Your post got censored because you were calling for killings of a certain ethnic group of a certain nationality. Any reasonable person would understand that such is unacceptable, but apparently, you still don't ... it's all a racist, imperialist conspiracy against you, and we should have just understood that it's your right to encourage mass killings. Right?

It must be lonely for you at such lofty ethical heights.

First of all, I am not American and it did not occur to me that redneck referred to an 'ethnic group' (by this term I believe you actually mean 'race'). I use it as a derogatory term for Southern Americans who vote for the Republican Party (I believe the imperialist I was replying to is one) of all ethnic groups. My dislike for American imperialists have nothing to do with their 'ethnic group', I hate them all. 

Secondly, when it was pointed out to me that 'redneck' can be a racial term (I admit that when I think about it it seems true, since black people are unlikely to have red skin). I actually agreed to edit that in my post and replaced it with 'imperialist'. So I apologise for it and I won't use that term again. I don't want anyone to think that I hate white imperialist americans more than the black ones, because that is not true at all.

Thirdly, calling for killings. I clearly wrote that I am talking about independence movements. The sad fact is, US troops get involved in suppressing independence movements. From the context it is obvious that I am talking about that. In Vietnam far more Vietnamese were killed than invading Americans. I hope in the next war, the ratio will be better, i.e. more imperialist Americans will be killed for each native. I am not calling for attacks on innocent Americans or anything like that.

Rest of what you wrote is ad-hominem drivel (that I believe there is a conspiracy against me etc), and lies (that I don't accept that writing redneck was wrong) it does not deserve an answer other than this.  

Then what do you call social security?

Social security takes money from workers now and pays the retired now. For the individual it seems like a long term scheme, but for the state it is not. Indeed, many states are panicking now because their social security schemes are under strain because they haven't planned the long term demographic changes.

India has a Parliament, right now, as we speak.

Yea, they have now, i.e. 2009 AD.

Mostly in the 50s. Are these supposed to be rhetorical questions?

? I am asking you since you claim that the British promoted self-rule in their colonies (since the 19th century), when did they institute parliaments and elections? 

Well, alright. But just some friendly advice from someone who also enjoys discussing history, politics etc? I honestly don't think you're going to find that the "true colours" are going to be what you expect them to be, and you might expose your own "true colours" in the process more than you do anyone else's - and they may be in equally poor agreement with your expectations, which could be upsetting. At least, that's my experience.

Yes, as you wrote before, you have a high opinion of yourself, giving 'advice' like this, sharing your wisdom with us bloodthirsty simpletons.  

True colours are indeed revealed (or made) in discussion or in action. You may believe you are something, but it is your actions that define what you are. You can discuss 'responsible government' for 100 years, and fancy yourself progressive, but if you go killing the natives and stealing their resources when you are practising, you are a bloody imperialist in reality. Similarly, you may believe that you are a progressive, but if you side with the racists/orientalists who try to whitewash the atrocious imperialist past everytime (this is not the first time you are doing this, it is the third time that I remember), than you are definitely on their side.     

Your example was one of an Anglo/European population - you said that "all" former colonies had to fight for independance like the US did. Clearly, then, you are changing your position and being dishonest about what it was.

I am not dishonest. I gave that example because it is the earliest date for an independence movement which was opposed. If you say that in Canada there was no struggle for rights, and Britain gave you all the rights without you asking for it, maybe you are right, you'd know the history of your country better. In that case, I reply that would be because you are whites and the oppressed people have already been exterminated. Also, you should understand that when someone says British Empire, I (like everyone else) think of  India, not Canada (which, in comparison, was insignificant frozen wasteland).

No, the Soviets were forced by practical considerations to abandon them, just as the British were. Different considerations, of course. But both had to work out a transfer of power.

What transfer of power was the Soviets 'worked out'? None, really. Britain did not work out any either. Both had last-minute plans to divide the countries they are leaving in a way that would be beneficial for them. Russians failed in Eastern Europe. Britain was more successful.

No, it means that I just respond to the content of posts often without paying any attention to who wrote them. Unless they make some sort of impression, good or bad, which you failed to do before calling for killings.

Just admit that you were wrong. I am not Khomeini 'calling for killings', and you knew perfectly well where I come from all along.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 20:28

First of all, I am not American and it did not occur to me that redneck referred to an 'ethnic group' (by this term I believe you actually mean 'race'). I use it as a derogatory term for Southern Americans who vote for the Republican Party (I believe the imperialist I was replying to is one)

This isn't about the political correctness of your terms, or lack thereof.

You can't incite the killing of your political opponents or any nationality, either. Swapping out terms is unacceptable.

I don't want anyone to think that I hate white imperialist americans more than the black ones, because that is not true at all.

Heaven forbid anyone should disapprove of your hatred and desire to see people killed. Well, let's just make it a little more politically correct and voila!! Now we can all go kill some Republican voters with a clean conscience, right?

"Blacks, too!" doesn't make things any more appealing. It's pretty appalling that you would think it did.

I hope in the next war, the ratio will be better, i.e. more imperialist Americans will be killed for each native. I am not calling for attacks on innocent Americans or anything like that.

What's your definition of innocent, Bey? I mean, I'm an imperialist according to you. I'm not American ... but my niece is, and if she happened to show up and disagree with you on the Suez crisis or what caused the British to abandon their empire, she might be a racist imperialist too. Would it make any difference to you that she is half Iroqouis? What's a native imperialist going to do in your ideal world - commit suicide?

If you were forced to make a choice, which would you choose - your principles, or your worldview, your "side" as you put it? Do you know Bertolt Brecht's play, The Decision? It has many levels.

if you go killing the natives and stealing their resources when you are practising, you are a bloody imperialist

The problem has never been imperialism. Or racism, or communism, or nazism, or religion or anything else. They are only symptoms of the problem. None of these things are historical constants, but killing and taking land is. The problem has always been a type of person: the type of person who finds ways to justify killing other people, the most evil variety of which is the person who keeps a distance and finds ways to get other people to do it for him. 

I have no time for the rest of your distortions and egotistical nonsense and backpedalling semantics ... it's rubbish.

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2009 at 22:34

I use it as a derogatory term for Southern Americans who vote for the Republican Party (I believe the imperialist I was replying to is one) of all ethnic groups. My dislike for American imperialists have nothing to do with their 'ethnic group', I hate them all.

Hello Beylerbeyi,

As far as i have been concerned, your country of origin was never relevant in my mind. I've learned enough that you can be an extremely nice guy when you want to be and highly intelligent enough not to allow myself to just jump feet first into a debate with you, unless i'm wanting to get badly burned! However, i have a hard time believing that you can, simply by allowing yourself... too have so many "Archaic" and "Cliched" words dominating your many posts, unless... that is by your own willful intention?

As far your views are concerned. I find them distasteful, disrespectful, arrogant, ignorant, misinformed, immature and down right childish! In short... The perfect drinking buddy (Alcohol or coffee, your choice) Smile. Atleast with you around the conversation would never be dull, always bluntly honest and lively. Though i would have too admit to you, i would always be keeping one eye over my shoulder at all times when you're around! Wink

Panther

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Feb-2009 at 16:48
I have been called an "Imperialist" in this forum and I have no problem with that.   In order NOT to unduly inflame others, though, I won't go so far as to say that I believe the British Empire was the best thing that has ever happened to this World (although I do believe that it was ! ), I will merely say that others should examine closely the state of many of the countries that previously were a part of that Empire (notably, of course, all of the ex Empire African countries ).  If there remains even one today that is remotely anwhere near the state of good health and civil stability that it was whilst a part of the Empire, then I'm a monkey's Uncle !

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2009 at 00:49

I have been called an "Imperialist" in this forum and I have no problem with that.   In order NOT to unduly inflame others, though, I won't go so far as to say that I believe the British Empire was the best thing that has ever happened to this World (although I do believe that it was ! ), I will merely say that others should examine closely the state of many of the countries that previously were a part of that Empire (notably, of course, all of the ex Empire African countries ).  If there remains even one today that is remotely anwhere near the state of good health and civil stability that it was whilst a part of the Empire, then I'm a monkey's Uncle !

This might cause you and many others here to go into cardiac arrest (Except perhaps for Beylerbeyi, who suspects everyone here is one anyways...) but i do agree with you for the most part. Putting aside any of my emotional passion for it's mistakes still currently being dissected, and looking at it from how an historian of the future might look at it. Then yes, i do think the British Empire was mostly a good thing for the world. The negative blemishes from it's past and what it has left, represents for many, a most nasty & equally haunting impression that's still felt currently in our modern narrow views. Personally, i think emotions have a way of blurring and distorting the past out of all recognition. But in all fairness and only for it's sake... there is no denying it's mark in time and the influence it has left upon our world for generations too come!

In that regard, you need not explain yourself, atleast not to me anyways.

Panther

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2009 at 02:45

Actually almost all of them are in total crap mostly due to the British, like the British came in good will Ouch, LOL you must smoke some powerful stuff to come here and believe that asinine garbage. Dead. The British stole enough from Africa to repay them for generations to come, but hey... after all the guy with the wildest imagination in the world thinks otherwise so it must be true... if you believe hard enough that is.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2009 at 11:51

Yes ... the fact that Britain built up totally dependant economies in most of these countries, and imposed artificial political systems that did not recognize socio-ethnic realities in these countries, meant that when Britain abandoned them it left most of these countries holding the bag. Their economies collapsed and ethnic tensions broke out, to the degree that most of the biggest conflict fault lines (eg Pakistan/India, Israel, many African countries, etc) are all former British colonies. The French did the same thing, with similar results.

Ethically speaking, the British never should have built an empire in the first place - although that really holds true for any empire (including the Soviet Union), so we might say it's neither here nor there, given that empires were being built by everyone at the time (even native Africans - eg Shaka).

But once they had, once empire was already a de facto reality, there are still things they might have done to benefit both themselves and the world at large. The principles expressed in the concept of a Commonwealth of Nations - a voluntary, cooperative association of sovereign states - could have brought much peace and prosperity to a large part of the world, if those principles had been lived up to. But the only places Britain took those principles to heart was in the so-called "White Dominions" (Canada, Aus, NZ), in practice it treated the rest of the Commonwealth like an empire, and abused it for short-term gain. Had it done in the other colonies what it had done in the White Dominions, they would today be succesful, developed countries. Places like India could have been rich countries with progressive, pluralistic societies, just like Canada (which would have been of great benefit to Britain, incidentally, and could have been realized were it not for their irrational, myopic superiority complex). Instead, they are disaster areas struggling to recover from years of dependancy and abuse.

It needed them; and through force, it made them need it; and then it walked away, once it needed them no more.

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2009 at 23:29
It's faults are always accentuated and for alot of good rational reasons. However, the more passionate a person can be in denouncing a system, the more blinded they are by their own biases, atleast... that is how i feel. So, what is the British legacy besides fractured countries, social-financial inequities & past memories of dependency & ethical abuse being among the more oft, but not only... numerously heard charges at shaming the country that had spawned the current entities that we currently know now as either commonwealth members or those who have disassociated themselves from it. It is one thing too point out all of it's endearing faults and what not, while forgetting to also counterbalance their emotions with more reasonable thought. It is a totally different thing too swim against the current tide of public condemnation, by pointing out the other p.o.v. in respect out of all fairness and decency, and without trying to add the jingoism from that era. I offer just a few, perhaps more of a sampling of the remains still used or possibly even enjoyed by the indigenous people once they were left alone to tend to their own internal problems by the Empire that was formerly known as the British:

The English Language, being the first language of 300+ million people with it being the secondary language of 400+ million around the world. (Whether an individual disagrees with, hate or looks down upon the language or not, is i think... irrelevant! I am after all greatly enjoying reading or discussing opinions with people from around the world, that i might not otherwise have had the chance to do so with.)

The Parlimentary system of Government with common law for their legal system in the former colonies.

Rugby, cricket, football - (Soccer for us here in the US), golf and lawn tennis are all ball games left behind after the British Empire.

In some countries like India, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and some other countries surrounding them in their respective regions, including the Caribbean & ect... there is that peculiarly odd phenomena to most of us here in this world... I offer by mentioning the driving on the left side of the road.

Also, in the effects during and even thereafter...  of the Empire, there was a constantly consistent migration of millions of people either to or from the UK that still continues to this very day.

Also for all the anglophiles/phobics out there, we can't forget atleast two of the most world famous citizens from their respective countries who played very important roles in freeing their countries from the Empire or from the inherent racism that so effected their countries, while strangely still feeling some warm affections somewhere deep down in their psyches for this entity that had shaped the private lives. In fact... the reverence that the world holds for them borders near the line of Sainthood, that if there was any possible way to anoint the first of groups for secular sainthood, then these gentlemen probably would have been among the first to have been anointed so. Also, bare in mind, that this is an era in which it was a common misunderstood among many empires in the world, to not even bother with educating even one single indigenous person.

The first that comes to my mind is the often revered worldwide (Even on this board) Mr. Gandhi, who after all, was trained as a lawyer in all places... a college in London. One imagines what might have happened to India if racism in the colonies was non-existent to the point that Mr. Gandhi might have spent the rest of his life working as an anonymous lawyer in some British colony til the day he died. I can only imagine tiny little fractured states that would still be a big old bloody mess even now.

Then there is Nelson Mandela also himself was lawyer and influenced fro a while by the above, is a product of the oft reviled Empire, whom it should not be forgotten... was himself taught by the English Wesleyan missonaries and subsequently attended a college that was funded by the same group. If not for the racism before and then the subsequent impositon of apartheid by the Afrikaner party, he himself may have languished in some anonymous law firm working either for private hire or for the state.

Just some thoughts for everyone too consider.

Panther

Note: My source is mainly Wikipedia, but the information in where they have gotten their info from seems to be reasonably balanced with both pros and cons of the British Empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2009 at 04:20
All of these things could and have been achieved without "Empire," and without the need for stealing and killing. I think a lot of people undermine that about Empires lately, why? because they feel threatened that their heritage is under attack, which is not true, heritage is one thing, you can be proud of being English, and a lot of people in the world with a rational brain will acknowledge things that are good about another society, but yes there is no reason not to denounce the Empire that the UK upheld for the negatives it has done in the world. The Pakistan/India problem, etc... are just some of the things that Empire messed up on.

No one is absolutely good nor evil, but there are injustices that were caused, especially to the non-white colonies and I don't see why it is blinding to not downplay on that.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 11:53
Originally posted by es_bih

Actually almost all of them are in total crap mostly due to the British, like the British came in good will Ouch, LOL you must smoke some powerful stuff to come here and believe that asinine garbage. Dead. The British stole enough from Africa to repay them for generations to come, but hey... after all the guy with the wildest imagination in the world thinks otherwise so it must be true... if you believe hard enough that is.

Of course there was a strong element of exploitation by the British of their Empire.  We'd have been fools not to have "exploited" some/many aspects of those countries that formed a part of our erstwhile Empire. We even extracted financial taxes from them, too, and it is interesting that quite soon after it being a part of Empire the USA baulked at paying those taxes despite the vast amounts of blood and treasure poured into that country by the British in defending it from the French/Indians and Canadians for many years.  Rightly or wrongly, the whole of Western civilisation is founded on capitalism and it is that that supports the creation of Empires and all of the benefits that bestows upon Mankind !
In closing, may I make the point that you are a MODERATOR, are you not. Given your immoderate responses, just how does that work in your case ?

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 12:08

All of these things could and have been achieved without "Empire," and without the need for stealing and killing. I think a lot of people undermine that about Empires lately, why? because they feel threatened that their heritage is under attack, which is not true, heritage is one thing, you can be proud of being English, and a lot of people in the world with a rational brain will acknowledge things that are good about another society, but yes there is no reason not to denounce the Empire that the UK upheld for the negatives it has done in the world. The Pakistan/India problem, etc... are just some of the things that Empire messed up on.

No one is absolutely good nor evil, but there are injustices that were caused, especially to the non-white colonies and I don't see why it is blinding to not downplay on that.

"Without the need for the Empire's alleged stealing and killing"  ?    The Zulus ( a tribe I greatly admire ) had been murdering , raping and pillaging the other tribes of Africa for aons before the British and Dutch came along and introduced Law and Order as part of the benefits of Empire.  In the 1950's the Kikuyu and Mau Mau murdered and raped both black and white Kenyans before being suppressed by the armed forces of the British Empire. After the Empire was dismantled, the Hutus and Tutsis again commited the most appalling atrocities upon one another and did so in the absence of the likely intervention of either Empire forces or he UN. All of this tells me that remove the stabilising influence of Empire away from the African/Indian/Middle Eastern countries and what do you get ?  Anarchy and bloody political/religionist struggle.     

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 15:45
Stabilizing? Your Empire created these ongoing problems. Same with Pakistan and India and the Palestinian and Israeli conflict. Yup a mod with an opinion, just taking advantage of my natural right to speak ;).

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 15:58
Given that an Empire exists, how would you dispose of it ?

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 16:04
[QUOTE=es_bih]Stabilizing? Your Empire created these ongoing problems. Same with Pakistan and India and the Palestinian and Israeli conflict. Yup a mod with an opinion, just taking advantage of my natural right to speak ;).

[/QUOT
 Since I joined this forum I have formed the opinion that it is, by and large, quite a respectable one where people of some intelligence may lucidly express their views and hope to have them responded to in a similar manner.  Moreover, although I do not like the power and lack of accountability of moderators, I do accept the need for them when they do not abuse their position. That is not to say that you abuse your position, but your lack of both moderation and restraint does neither yourself nor this forum any credit.

I am prepared to accept that the exit of India from the British Empire in 1947 was not conducted quite as seemly as it should have been.  The UK had promised India its independence for its participation and support in WW2, and other nations, notably the USA (as ever meddling in the business of others ! ) was bringing undue pressure on the UK to allow India to leave the Empire. Moreover, the UK had been bankrupted (again largely by the USA ) by WW2, and was also attempting to police the World and prevent post WW2 communist infiltration of many Far Easten countries ( notably Malaysia ).  Also, no-one could have then predicted the violence that would erupt in India between its Muslim and non Muslim races.  All of these things contributed to the horrors that ensued at the time ( and long afterwards) of India's independence. As a convert to Islam I have long studied the role of the UK in both the establishment and the disolution of Empire, and whilst many mistakes were made, I take the view that any country ever to have been a part of the British Empire has indeed been a country blessed.

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 16:21
Originally posted by Peteratwar

Given that an Empire exists, how would you dispose of it ?

Of course, it all depends what my role and interest is, and whether or not I am  a British citizen or a member of the population of a country belonging to the Empire.

Having said the above, it is possible that either person could reasonably arrange the withdrawal of a country from the Empire, and, oddly enough, the manner in which this happened on dozens of occassions seems to be the best. To quote (and I paraphrase just a tad or two ! ) the greatly unlamented Adolf Hitler, who much admired Britain and its Empire, and who said - " Donner und Blitzen, how on Earth do the British manage to administer so well with a total force of less than 10,000, a country with the many hundreds of millions that populated India !"  It is simple - we recruited for our local army/police force/civil servants etc.etc.etc. thousands of Indians who benefitted greatly from the wages and the training given. When you have a workable and efficient infrastructure installed, it is then gradually possible to slowly divest oneself of the direct responsibilties of governing and administering a country.  One then introduces, as we British did, the more relaxed alternative of being a part of a Commonwealth of Nations instead, plus a system of preferences that the Empire and its erstwhile participants benefit from in terms of trade and defence agreements etc.etc.etc. and then everybody is happy !  It all seems horribly simple, does it not ? but then the best of plans are frequently just that !!

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 16:38
Probably not disagreeing with you in essence.

But I would be interested to hear from the ranting critics as to how they would have done it.

If they say well it shouldn't have happened that is merely dodging the issue. Empires have been around for millenia in one way or another

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 16:39
I hope everyone here in this forum sees that there is no shortage of imperial apologists here who stoop so low to justify and even glorify incredible atrocities. The only difference between these people and holocaust denying neo-nazis is that the nazis lost the world wars. Because of people like this, Western public can still be shepherded into supporting warmongers in their imperialist adventures in the Middle East. Because of people like this, it is possible for Israel to oppress the Palestinians, Americans to massacre Iraqis and Afghans. While their more liberal comrades say that they are enlightened, and act as if imperialism and imperial apologists no longer exist. When someone speaks out them, these imperialists, and lite-imperialists are quick to unite and present a common front. 

For the non-Western observer, the situation in the world is clear. Western Imperialism has to be defeated in the world. After their back is broken, they can masturbate as much as they like about their imperial past, and we would just laugh at them. But as long as they are killing Iraqis and Afghans their poisonous propaganda must be dealt with. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Feb-2009 at 16:40
Must have realised he was fulminating again but I finished too quickly!!!

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 01:06

because they feel threatened that their heritage is under attack, which is not true, heritage is one thing, you can be proud of being English

Well now, that's fine if you're English. England was around and has its own history, indepedant of the Empire. Not all of the former colonies have a history outside of the Empire, eg Canada, Australia, New Zealand. There were of course native civilizations in these places previously, which some feel a great deal of kinship with and sorrow for. But the societies in those countries today have no history outside the empire.

I hope everyone here in this forum sees that there is no shortage of imperial apologists here who stoop so low to justify and even glorify incredible atrocities.

So you're saying it's wrong to celebrate the Ottomans? Wink

I'll keep that in mind!

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 10:58
Trouble with Beylerbeyi his mindset and thinking seem to be 30-40 years behind the times. He also seems blind to the realities of what is really going on in the world. Seems to adopt Mugabe's theme of blaming everyone else except himself for the mess.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 14:09
So you're saying it's wrong to celebrate the Ottomans? Wink

I'll keep that in mind!

Bah, smarter people than you have tried that line in the past. By all means, remind this to me if I justify Turkish invasion of Mexico with tales of Ottoman benevolence. If you can't do that you are just a slimy liar, dropping allegations like this.

Trouble with Beylerbeyi his mindset and thinking seem to be 30-40 years behind the times. He also seems blind to the realities of what is really going on in the world. Seems to adopt Mugabe's theme of blaming everyone else except himself for the mess.

This is exactly what I am talking about. It is no coincidence that the greatest fans of the British Empire are the ones who think the US is saving the world today. 

Let's see what's going on in the world, shall we? Americans in Iraq killing hundreds of thousands, raping and pillaging and stealing the oil. Americans in Afghanistan and Pakistan, killing thousands, raping and pillaging. American weapons and American supported Apartheid regime in Palestine killing thousands. Americans threatening Iran for what? Americans threatening Cuba. Americans raping Africa forcing unfavourable trade agreements on them...

Problems caused by Mugabes of the world are nothing next to the problems caused by your Dubya. 

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 14:43

Bah, smarter people than you have tried that line in the past. By all means, remind this to me if I justify Turkish invasion of Mexico with tales of Ottoman benevolence. If you can't do that you are just a slimy liar, dropping allegations like this.

Then, by your own standards, you have named yourself a slimy liar (and a hypocrite). See:

Originally posted by Edgewaters

You have obviously sided with the imperialist guy. He wrote that Britain had the intention to let go of the colonies (your words) and decolonisation was bad for the subject peoples ... that's bloody well siding with the imperialists, typical behaviour of those who used to be called social-fascist in the past.

You couldn't actually point out where I said British imperialism was a good thing, you could only froth about "social-fascists". Intuition is no substitute for empirical facts, and petty equivocations do not convince the intelligent no matter how skilled at tergiversation you may be.  

If you can't apply the same standards you judge others with to yourself, then don't expect anyone with a brain to buy what you're peddling. I would be most surprised if anyone came to your defence here.

It is no coincidence that the greatest fans of the British Empire are the ones who think the US is saving the world today.

No, it is not coincidence at all. It is an imagination brought to us by the magic of pseudocommunist intuition.

Posted By: Reginmund
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 14:52

I hope everyone here in this forum sees that there is no shortage of imperial apologists here who stoop so low to justify and even glorify incredible atrocities. The only difference between these people and holocaust denying neo-nazis is that the nazis lost the world wars. Because of people like this, Western public can still be shepherded into supporting warmongers in their imperialist adventures in the Middle East. Because of people like this, it is possible for Israel to oppress the Palestinians, Americans to massacre Iraqis and Afghans. While their more liberal comrades say that they are enlightened, and act as if imperialism and imperial apologists no longer exist. When someone speaks out them, these imperialists, and lite-imperialists are quick to unite and present a common front.

You are right, but it doesn't really change anything. The Afghans, Iraqis or Palestinians have not presented any tempting alternatives to Western civilization. For a Westerner, the model of civilization they present is one of religious fanaticism, repressive traditions, totalitarianism and political corruption. I believe I speak for many Westerners when I say that regardless of ethics I do not wish to see these models of civilization expand their influence, on the contrary I'd have rather have them compromised as much as possible. Is it morally right or wrong for Westerners to do so? I don't know, but I believe the question is irrelevant as most Westerners value their civilization enough to defend and expand it at all costs.

For the non-Western observer, the situation in the world is clear. Western Imperialism has to be defeated in the world.

Some would benefit, some would suffer and some would certainly fill the gap. Objectively speaking it shouldn't matter whether the imperialists are Western or not.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:00
Just a couple of comments:

First, Western imperialism was dying in the 1930s, and was dead by the 1960s, even if everyone in the West didn't see it yet.

Second, Dubya was not edgewaters' Dubya.  Edgewaters is Canadian; Dubya is from....Texas.  Wink

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:02
Originally posted by Reginmund

I don't know, but I believe the question is irrelevant as most Westerners value their civilization enough to defend and expand it at all costs.

I don't care to expand it, those who call for us to do so just want us to march to Dieppe and Gallipolli all over again. No thanks.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:06
Expansion can take many forms, it doesn't have to be done by force. Throughout history you will find examples of less developed civilizations assimilating influences from more advanced ones without the need for the latter to conquer the former.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:12

Expansion can take many forms, it doesn't have to be done by force. Throughout history you will find examples of less developed civilizations assimilating influences from more advanced ones without the need for the latter to conquer the former.

If someone wants to emulate us, that's their business. I have no interest in foisting anything upon any other culture by any means.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:35
Then, by your own standards, you have named yourself a slimy liar (and a hypocrite).
Show me one case that I behaved like you, i.e. someone was writing how great was the Ottoman Empire and how it brought civilisation to the savage Europeans and someone replied to him that was not the case, and I came in siding with the first guy. If you can't do this, shut your maul up.

You are right, but it doesn't really change anything. The Afghans, Iraqis or Palestinians have not presented any tempting alternatives to Western civilization. For a Westerner, the model of civilization they present is one of religious fanaticism, repressive traditions, totalitarianism and political corruption. I believe I speak for many Westerners when I say that regardless of ethics I do not wish to see these models of civilization expand their influence, on the contrary I'd have rather have them compromised as much as possible. Is it morally right or wrong for Westerners to do so? I don't know, but I believe the question is irrelevant as most Westerners value their civilization enough to defend and expand it at all costs.
Typical imperialist (in your case nazi) crap, claiming your own views of other peoples and beliefs of racial superiority are supported by all Westerners. Which is great, actually, exactly the kind of thing I want to read from you. It made even the hardened social-fascist edgewaters object to you.

This shows that my method is not that bad, after all. When the lines are drawn, people are forced to make decisions and when challenged people become less cautious and show their true natures. A few more nazis writing here and edgewaters will switch to my side.

Originally posted by pike

Second, Dubya was not edgewaters' Dubya.  Edgewaters is Canadian; Dubya is from....Texas.
If you'd read the posts people wrote you'd have seen that I was replying to someone else. Even then you are wrong because Dubya is not from... Texas. He speaks like a Texan to dupe gullible Republicans like you.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:46

Show me one case that I behaved like you, i.e. someone was writing how great was the Ottoman Empire and how it brought civilisation to the savage Europeans

More petty equivocation! I suppose you fancy yourself clever because you can spit out amphiboly and beg the question. First show me where I said anything of the sort. Or, by default, accept that you were being hypocritical.

A few more nazis writing here and edgewaters will switch to my side.

I do not subscribe to Manicheaen simplifications. The world isn't black and white.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 15:54

[QUOTE=es_bih]Stabilizing? Your Empire created these ongoing problems. Same with Pakistan and India and the Palestinian and Israeli conflict. Yup a mod with an opinion, just taking advantage of my natural right to speak ;).

[/QUOT
 Since I joined this forum I have formed the opinion that it is, by and large, quite a respectable one where people of some intelligence may lucidly express their views and hope to have them responded to in a similar manner.  Moreover, although I do not like the power and lack of accountability of moderators, I do accept the need for them when they do not abuse their position. That is not to say that you abuse your position, but your lack of both moderation and restraint does neither yourself nor this forum any credit.

I am prepared to accept that the exit of India from the British Empire in 1947 was not conducted quite as seemly as it should have been.  The UK had promised India its independence for its participation and support in WW2, and other nations, notably the USA (as ever meddling in the business of others ! ) was bringing undue pressure on the UK to allow India to leave the Empire. Moreover, the UK had been bankrupted (again largely by the USA ) by WW2, and was also attempting to police the World and prevent post WW2 communist infiltration of many Far Easten countries ( notably Malaysia ).  Also, no-one could have then predicted the violence that would erupt in India between its Muslim and non Muslim races.  All of these things contributed to the horrors that ensued at the time ( and long afterwards) of India's independence. As a convert to Islam I have long studied the role of the UK in both the establishment and the disolution of Empire, and whilst many mistakes were made, I take the view that any country ever to have been a part of the British Empire has indeed been a country blessed.

Actually if you have a problem with staff you take it up with a PM to the rest of the staff Star Not in here.

Other than that. Yes everyone could have predicted, small incidents popped up, and there was a lot of pressure to carve out two separate homelands. The only one practically that didn't care was Gandhi, but the practicalists on both sides did. They drew a fictitious boundary on a piece of paper and divided it upon those parameters, which of course ended up badly.

Blessed?
Oh sure they were blessed with a lot of repression and slaughter, and dependence on a home colony that abandoned the system hastily after it had lost its uses and now these "blessed" people are in worse conditions than when under Empire. Thank you so much for that of blessed nuvolari. BTW convert? Please the other day you were banging Indians at a reservation, then on the moon with your Neptunian family, and who knows what else. With a imagination like that I have to wonder 2 things: 1- what you smoked, 2-how could you not dream up this blessing that didn't happen quite the way you describe.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 18:32

Typical imperialist (in your case nazi) crap, claiming your own views of other peoples and beliefs of racial superiority are supported by all Westerners. Which is great, actually, exactly the kind of thing I want to read from you. It made even the hardened social-fascist edgewaters object to you.

This shows that my method is not that bad, after all. When the lines are drawn, people are forced to make decisions and when challenged people become less cautious and show their true natures. A few more nazis writing here and edgewaters will switch to my side.

So your rhetoric on AE is actually aimed at winning people over? LOL

Regardless, if your intention is to draw up the lines clearly then I'm behind you all the way. Most people would benefit from taking a long, hard look at themselves to determine who they are and where they stand, and to do so honestly without resorting to hypocrisy.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 20:07
Bey,

I am a registered Democrat.

And Dubya speaks like a Texan because he is from....Texas.

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 20:14
Yea, Clinton hating Dubya loving democrat. The only one I heard of. I think they call your kind DINO.

Oh, and Dubya was born in... New Haven, Connecticut. And educated in... Yale.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 20:33

Yea, Clinton hating Dubya loving democrat. The only one I heard of. I think they call your kind DINO.

Oh, and Dubya was born in... New Haven, Connecticut. And educated in... Yale.

Dubya was born in the state G.H.W. Bush was from.  Bush 41 relocated to Texas when the kid was two.  Dubya grew up in Texas, and has lived nearly all his life there.  He is a Texan.  Phillips-Andover, Yale and Harvard don't change that.

How many Yankees do you think have been elected governor of Texas?

I voted for Dubya, not because I thought he was the best, but because the Democrats put up two poor candidates....Al Gore, a bad politician who couldn't even carry his own state, And John Kerry who thought the country ended just west of New York City.

I also voted for Clinton once because the Repubs put up a poor candidate in Bob Dole. 

Also, what makes you think all Democrats liked Bill Clinton?  LOL

Oh, I forgot, we are all brainwashed.

Posted By: SearchAndDestroy
Date Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 23:24
Yeah, no one considers Bush Connecticuter, he's seen as a Texan. He doesn't have anything culturally like a N.Easterner. His political views are Southern Conservative, and he always prided himself on being Texan. I think most people from Connecticut would rather not bring up any links to him and our state.
By the way, what does Yale have to do with any proof of him be a Connecticuter. It didn't establish anything on his personality, and could be argued that it didn't effect his IQ either!LOL

-------------
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 14:08
Yale is a typically cosmopolitan Ivy university that draws students from all 50 states and well over 100 other countries.  There recently have been well over 300 Chinese students enrolled - grad and undergrad - and that hardly makes them Connecticut Yankees.

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 17:08
Yale is a typically cosmopolitan Ivy university that draws students from all 50 states and well over 100 other countries.  There recently have been well over 300 Chinese students enrolled - grad and undergrad - and that hardly makes them Connecticut Yankees.

OK, OK, Bush is a Texan (I still doubt that it's his real accent, tho). 

But you're still clearly a Republican (albeit in denial)... 'Gore and Kerry worse than Dubya'... Yea. I heard of Reagan-Democrats, but you are the first Dubya-Democrat I heard of. And you know that the only reason you voted for Obama was because of Palin. If Count Mccainacula chose someone even remotely resembled a homo sapiens as VP, you would have voted Republican, yet again...  

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 18:52
No one is required to vote for his party's candidate.  I have tended to evaluate who the better candidate might be by who is in control of Congress at the time of the election (you can't look two or four years down the road). 

If one party controls the Executive and the other controls Congress, maybe that is something of a check and balance, but it also tends toward not getting anything done.  As partisan as politics has become in the last couple of decades, it can make for complete stalemate.

Party labels are often over emphasized anyway.  All it means is that you are a registered voter on a roll.  So what?  Unless you want a political job, no one is going to care how you register, and the only ones who care how you vote are candidates - and they will not know.

I have not been enthused about either party's recent presidential candidates, but in reality, who the President of the United States is does not impact the ordinary citizen that much.  Congressional representation and State representation are the only politicians who can do much for you....and they tend to stay in office longer.

Regardless, someone has to be the executive in charge of the Federal government, so I voted for Obama because I did not see the point of a 72 year old man embarking on an administration when the job called for someone younger.  Sarah Palin was just desperation on McCain's part - trying to attract the disenchanted Hillary voters.  Didn't work. 

Date Posted: 19-Feb-2009 at 23:19

Party labels are often over emphasized anyway.

So true ... just compare the economic policies of Eisenhower vs Clinton ...

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 00:57
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Yeah, no one considers Bush Connecticuter, he's seen as a Texan. He doesn't have anything culturally like a N.Easterner. His political views are Southern Conservative, and he always prided himself on being Texan. I think most people from Connecticut would rather not bring up any links to him and our state.
By the way, what does Yale have to do with any proof of him be a Connecticuter. It didn't establish anything on his personality, and could be argued that it didn't effect his IQ either!LOL

hhhmmm... this book might be for you:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Love-Yankees-Clear-Conscience/dp/0934395772 - http://www.amazon.com/How-Love-Yankees-Clear-Conscience/dp/0934395772

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 01:13

Party labels are often over emphasized anyway.  All it means is that you are a registered voter on a roll.  So what?  Unless you want a political job, no one is going to care how you register, and the only ones who care how you vote are candidates - and they will not know.

Clap

Congressional representation and State representation are the only politicians who can do much for you....and they tend to stay in office longer.

Way too long to suit my taste, i mean... 40 or 50 years, come on!

Regardless, someone has to be the executive in charge of the Federal government, so I voted for Obama because I did not see the point of a 72 year old man embarking on an administration when the job called for someone younger. 

It's a fair point, though i think it is debatable.

Sarah Palin was just desperation on McCain's part - trying to attract the disenchanted Hillary voters.  Didn't work. 

Well, i was of those here who thought that, and it did prove too not work for McCain, although i am still not sure what he was thinking? It probably is better that he lost. His chances "might" have been little bit more better with someone form the northeast like Lieberman, though without all the buzz generated in the press about the 2nd female VP candidate? Though i doubt he might have won, it might have proven to be another close race like the last two elections? All pure speculations on my part of course...

-------------

Posted By: SearchAndDestroy
Date Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 02:52

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

hhhmmm... this book might be for you:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Love-Yankees-Clear-Conscience/dp/0934395772 - http://www.amazon.com/How-Love-Yankees-Clear-Conscience/dp/0934395772
That wasn't my point exactly. I think both politically and to some extent culturally, Texans and N.Easterners do have differences, and thats what I was getting at. Yeah he is American, but the arguement was that Bush was putting on a show as if playing the Texan role but was really a Connecticuter, he isn't.

-------------
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 12:09

For the non-Western observer, the situation in the world is clear. Western Imperialism has to be defeated in the world. After their back is broken, they can masturbate as much as they like about their imperial past, and we would just laugh at them. But as long as they are killing Iraqis and Afghans their poisonous propaganda must be dealt with. 

Well I am not sure what this rubbish is all about.

Still about 30 years out of date especially when all the rape and pillaging and enslaving is included. Still given a big enough lie repeated often enough someone may believe it. You can fool some of the people all the time, you can fool all the people some of the time, you can't fool all the people all the time.

I find no trace of Empire building (in the accepted sense of the word Empire) in South America, nor in North America, nor in Europe, nor in Africa, nor in Asia, nor in Australasia, nor in Oceania, nor in the Middle East etc.

Who is building up an empire and taking over the rulership of what country or countries ?

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com