Roman Catholics have lost a place!

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Scholarly Pursuits
Forum Name: Current Affairs
Forum Discription: Debates on topical, current World politics
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23973
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 10:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Roman Catholics have lost a place!
Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Subject: Roman Catholics have lost a place!
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 09:33
This thread is dedicated to Ponce, for his recent thread of similar name, but mostly to Leonardo, for reasons I am sure we are all aware!

Originally posted by http://news.scotsman.com/uk/Now-Islam--overtakes-.3929010.jp

Now Islam overtakes Catholicism as the world's biggest faith

Picture:%20Complimentary
Picture: Complimentary

By CLAIRE GARDNER
ISLAM has overtaken Roman Catholicism as the biggest single religious denomination in the world, according to new figures.
In its newly-released 2008 yearbook of statistics, the Vatican claims Muslims now make up 19.2 per cent of the world's population with Catholics at 17.4 per cent.

In the Vatican newspaper, L'Osservatore Romano, Monsignor Vittorio Formenti, wrote: "For the first time in history we are no longer at the top: the Muslims have overtaken us."

However, he said that if all Christian groups were considered, including Orthodox churches, Anglicans and Protestants, then Christians made up 33 per cent of the world's population – or about two billion people.

The Vatican recently put the number of Catholics in the world at 1.13 billion. It did not provide a figure for Muslims, estimated at about 1.3 billion.

Numbers for other major world religions include an estimated 785 million Hindus, 360 million Buddhists and 17 million Jews.

Mgr Formenti said that while the number of Catholics as a proportion of the world's population was fairly stable, the percentage of Muslims was growing because of higher birth rates.

However, Bashir Maan, convenor of the Muslim Council of Scotland, said he thought that Islam was probably the largest religion in the world.

And he said it was not just down to higher birth rates, but because more people were converting to Islam.

"It is difficult to get a true figure of the number of Muslims in the world because trying to establish numbers in underdeveloped Muslim countries is very difficult.

"But if proper figures could be obtained from those countries then I think it would show Islam as the largest religion in the world."

He said that people were attracted to the religion looking for "spiritualism". He conceded that recent terror attacks had turned many people against Islam – but added the religion had benefited from other people studying the religion to find out its true message.

"These people are discovering a tolerant and accommodating religion," he said.

A spokesman for the Catholic Church in Scotland said it was important to look beyond the figures.

"While it is a little unseemly to swap figures, a more realistic comparison would be between the Christian population of the world and the Muslim population, a comparison which would show the Christian world to be significantly bigger," he said.

He added: "Christianity and Islam are both 'religions of the Book' – they share their origins in the Old Testament – and although there are some hot spots of tension in the world, there is also a wide area of common concern for Christians and Muslims, especially on such issues as the family and the sacredness of life."

Replies:
Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 10:32
Is that Shiites plus Sunnis or just Sunnis.

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 10:47
Why pick out one Christian sect, and compare it to all Islam?

I'm reminded of Bob Jones and others in the US and probably elsewhere who refer to 'Christians and Catholics'.

-------------

Posted By: Leonardo
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 11:46
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

This thread is dedicated to Ponce, for his recent thread of similar name, but mostly to Leonardo, for reasons I am sure we are all aware!

I'm not aware ... (I'm not even a believer)

Posted By: Parnell
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 12:00
Bob Jones University? Thought they were the KKK of acadaemia?

-------------

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 13:58
Do these statistics take it for granted that the whole population of Poland, for example, is Roman Catholic - or that everyone in Turkey is Muslim?   What about Atheists and Agnostics? Or is this an indicator that the whole world will succumb to Islam?

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 15:01

The extent or vigiour of faith is huge variable and best left out. Many people identify with a religion even if they do not practice it.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:10
Originally posted by Sparten

The extent or vigiour of faith is huge variable and best left out. Many people identify with a religion even if they do not practice it.

Roman Catholicism is not a religion.

-------------

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:18
Originally posted by Parnell

Bob Jones University? Thought they were the KKK of acadaemia?

I wouldn't equate it with anything evil, or even especially political.  As with a lot of these "non-denominational" organizations, you file as a religious organization, and get yourself exempt from Federal tax.  That makes a much bigger reservoir of money for the Jones family, and all the in laws, to draw on.

Just a con game with a legal face:  As long as suckers empty their wallets, it is a pretty good gig.

Posted By: The Charioteer
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:18
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

This thread is dedicated to Ponce, for his recent thread of similar name

This is for both of you

http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/C/can_you_believe_it/debates/rootofevil.html - http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/C/can_you_believe_it/debates/rootofevil.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2epvSAGuLc - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2epvSAGuLc

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:19

For this thread - given the thread starter - I believe it can be treated as such, for argument's sake.

-------------

Posted By: HEROI
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:27
Originally posted by gcle2003

Roman Catholicism is not a religion.
So what is it?

-------------
Me pune,me perpjekje.

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:30
As far as i know Islam has overtaken Catholicism but still over all Christians have the largest population in the world,about 30% of the worlds population is Christian.About 20% is Islamic.

-------------
Me pune,me perpjekje.

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:43
Christianity is a religion; Catholicism which is exclusive of many other Christian denominations is obviously just a section of Christianity, like Orthodoxy etc... and does nmot represent Christianity as a whole and as such is not a religion.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:48

Why pick out one Christian sect, and compare it to all Islam?

I'm reminded of Bob Jones and others in the US and probably elsewhere who refer to 'Christians and Catholics'.

That has been going on since the early Germans became Arian Christians and the Catholics looked upon them as more profane than the pagans.  These things splinter and fight among each other, and then recognize common roots.  It happened with the  11th c. Schism and again with the Reformation.

AFAIK, nearly all Christian sects other than the most fundamental (who sometimes are like Old Testament Jews) recognize the Nicene Creed as a statement of faith.  That has been pretty consistent since the 4th century.

Christianity is Christianity regardless of what con artists like the TV evangelicals say.

Posted By: Akolouthos
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 17:28

This is especially true in the West, where secularism has certainly detracted from religious faith. I would wager that a huge portion of those identifying themselves as Christians in Western Europe -- and, to a lesser extent America -- do so for reasons that center as much on culture as they do on faith. I don't know to what extent this is true of the broader Muslim world as well. Anyone care to educate me?

-Akolouthos

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 17:31
Originally posted by Zagros

Christianity is a religion; Catholicism which is exclusive of many other Christian denominations is obviously just a section of Christianity, like Orthodoxy etc... and does nmot represent Christianity as a whole and as such is not a religion.

An interesting distinction, the discussion of which could take up a thread all by itself. Perhaps we should start a thread on the distinction between "sects" and "religions", as well as the contexts in which these terms may be inserted.

-Akolouthos

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 21:29

Catholicism is a sect??Shocked

-------------
Me pune,me perpjekje.

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 21:54
By definition, actually.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 12:18
Originally posted by HEROI

Catholicism is a sect??Shocked

And that should be 'Roman Catholicism'. Omar happily got it right in the topic title.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 19:08
I dont think so,i am not so sure if Catholicism is a religion or if Christianity is not a religion.

But anyway my opinion is that Christianity is not a religion is a cultural,historical term.

Since Christianity is a religion,tell me please what was the religion that Jesus brought to the world?And when did Jessus mention this religion by name,or when did he speak about a religion?

AS for Islam,is different,Mohamed spoke about Islam.

I think that the term Roman Catholicism qualifies more as a religion then the term Christianity.Christianity is nothing more then the term to describe different religions who all belive in Christ.

-------------
Me pune,me perpjekje.

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 19:13
Better put,Christianity is term to describe a civilisation,and not a religion,Christ did not bring to the world a religion named after him.
What we can say is that the world has different Christian religions.Or better put is what Vatican sais (Faiths)

-------------
Me pune,me perpjekje.

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 19:18

But anyway my opinion is that Christianity is not a religion is a cultural,historical term.

Well, actually it is both. The term may be applied and understood in different ways, depending upon the context in which it is used.

Since Christianity is a religion,tell me please what was the religion that Jesus brought to the world?And when did Jessus mention this religion by name,or when did he speak about a religion?

Well, Christ did speak about founding a Church, and He did gather together a group of followers whom He instructed thus:

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. [Matthew 28: 18-20]

As for the actual name "Christians", it is recorded that "the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch." [Acts 11: 26]

Still, I don't quite see your point.

-Akolouthos

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 19:28
My point is that Catholicism is not a sect but a religion,and that Christianity is a term that includes many religions,which are united only by the name Christ,but which share particular historical,and cultural values in a particular territory.

-------------
Me pune,me perpjekje.

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 19:37

My point is that Catholicism is not a sect but a religion,and that Christianity is a term that includes many religions,which are united only by the name Christ,but which share particular historical,and cultural values in a particular territory.

I buy that, given the context you have established. I'm sure you will note that in a different context -- one which, I believe, is more commonly used -- Roman Catholicism would be considered a sect. Also in a more commonly used context, Christianity would be considered a religion. Still, I do take your point.

-Akolouthos

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 00:44
Wow, more posts than I expected on this topic. I don't really understand why this is news because muslims have outnumbered Catholics for a long time now.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 01:06
Not really considering they all have the same root. They (protestants et al) are all off-shoots of the same religion with different interpretations in some cases, making them sects of the same religion.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 05:52
If you extend that argument too far then Islam, Christianity & Judaism are all the same religion

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 11:49
That's what the word Abrahamic is for.

Christianity by definition stems from Christ, his teachings and the gospels etc.   I am not sure how many different versions of the new testament there are but the vast majority of them are pretty much the same, no doubt. Does each sect preach from a different interpretation of the new testament?

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 11:55
I agree it's a bit arbitrary. However, those three whatevers recognise different books as the final revelation, and recognise different founders. On the other hand, Catholics, roman and otherwise, Lutherans, Calvinists and so on all recognise the same books and the same founding figure. All branches of Judaism are also the same as each other in those areas, and so too are all branches of Islam.

So if one is clustering religious groupings hierarchically it makes sense to have Judaism, Christianity and Islam at the same level within the same higher level group (whatever one might call it, Abrahamic is fine by me), and the different groupings within each of them at a lower level or levels (as for instance, there are several groups making up the Catholic one, and several included under Calvinism). The labels stuck on each level are arbitrary, but the common usage is to use 'religion' for the level at which Judaism, Christianity, and Islam stand.

(PS: Unitarianism and Mormonism probably should count as different religions according to that criterion too.)

Does each sect preach from a different interpretation of the new testament?
Some recognise slightly different books of the old testament but not as far as I know of the new. Of course they do interpret them differently, which is what makes them different sects.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 13:50
gcle said it better than I could.

-------------

Posted By: arch.buff
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 17:01

Christianity by definition stems from Christ, his teachings and the gospels etc.   I am not sure how many different versions of the new testament there are but the vast majority of them are pretty much the same, no doubt. Does each sect preach from a different interpretation of the new testament?

All sects preach from a different "interpretation" from the the NT, this is why they are different sects. A key reason for this, and this is more to the point of what you're asking, I believe, is for figures such as Martin Luther who have taken key words out of some verses. In so doing,  the passage takes on an entirely new meaning. Also have you ever seen the book that the Jehovah's Witness use, the NWT:

In the Beginning the Word was, and the Word was God, and the Word was a god.
(Distortion of John 1:1)

-Note also the small "g" after the Word. A sublety as to de-note Christ as a demi-God.

Also Luther took out entire books of the Old Testament.

Just a few examples.

-------------
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 11:47
Originally posted by arch.buff

The question though referred to the New Testament. The early Christians also shuffled the OT books around a lot, which is why the Christian OT (all sects, afaik)  differs from the Tanakh.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 11:56
My question was rhetorical and was meant to emphasise the sects, but obviously I didn't communicate well enough :(

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 14:35

The comments here point up that "the Books" are all instrumentalities of man, not God.  The thoughts in them have been changed, manipulated, deleted and "shuffled" (I like that one) as elites that controlled that process saw it to their advantage.

Therefore, any ideology that takes as its base, or its entire fabric, a "revealed word" is to be looked at with the greatest suspicion.

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 14:36
You're damn right.

-------------

Posted By: arch.buff
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 22:36

Originally posted by arch.buff

The question though referred to the New Testament. The early Christians also shuffled the OT books around a lot, which is why the Christian OT (all sects, afaik)  differs from the Tanakh.

Ya, is not John in the NT?

Also to expand on the Luther additions that I was first alluding to, it was Romans 3:28(NT) whereby Luther added in the word "allein"-alone-, So whereby it reads "faith alone". This put his addition in direct conflict with the Epistle of James, more precisely James 2:24, which reads, "By works a man is justified, and not only by faith." Martin Luther responded by calling The Epistle of James an "epistle of straw" and the Pope a "papstesel"-Pope donkeys-

Just giving a few NT examples, either way this seems a lil off topic so I will rest here. What is the main point of this topic anyway?Confused
I sensed some small biased undertones coming from the original poster. LOL Just kiddin with ya Omar!Wink

-------------
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com