Print Page | Close Window

The Americas able to hold their own against the Ch

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: History of the Americas
Forum Discription: The Americas: History from pre-Colombian times to the present
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22445
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 11:28
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Americas able to hold their own against the Ch
Posted By: bilal_ali_2000
Subject: The Americas able to hold their own against the Ch
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 16:21
    It has already been posted that what if the Chinese had discovered America before they curtailed their Naval Expeditions. But it was viewed from an angle that whether if Chinese would have been a bit more empethic towards the Americans. But i am not looking at it from a moral viewpoint but a more practical one. They forget that the technological distance between the Chinese and the native Americans would have been far less and they would have been in a position to withstand the Chinese encroachment (if there ever was any such attempt) much more than they were able to withstand the European one centuries later. Disease would still have been a problem but they could have actually quarentened the diaseased and the disease would not spread so rapidly without them being consigned to restricted spaces. And if the native americans were able to withstand the initial Chinese onslaught (if there ever was) then they had a very rosy future ahead of them. They had large reservoirs of gold which is the most valued of commodities which they coudl have traded with the mainland nations and as a result would have been able to fill up the technological gap between themselves and the mainland nations very quickly. And their vast wealth of agriculture products would have found a huge market in the mainland nations. In my opinion had Chinese discovered the Americas the Americas would not have been there for the taking by the European nations a few centuries later.    

Replies:
Posted By: edgewaters
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 19:31
They forget that the technological distance between the Chinese and the native Americans would have been far less

In the late 15th or very early 16th century? Not really. Asia had cannon-armed ships suitable for long voyages on open seas too by this point - heck, by 1592, Korea had ironclads, centuries ahead of the Europeans.

They were also using muskets extensively from the 14th century on, under the Ming. But the firearms of the contact period were not really all that effective in New World battles with natives during the contact period - steel weapons and shields, metal helmets, horses, and germs were the chief decisive elements, and the Chinese had all of these.

On the other hand, it is unlikely that the Chinese would have sought to colonize the Americas or establish a lasting presence there in any case.

Posted By: Sander
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 19:47
Originally posted by bilal_ali_2000

It has already been posted that what if the Chinese had discovered America before they curtailed their Naval Expeditions. But it was viewed from an angle that whether if Chinese would have been a bit more empethic towards the Americans. But i am not looking at it from a moral viewpoint but a more practical one. They forget that the technological distance between the Chinese and the native Americans would have been far less and they would have been in a position to withstand the Chinese encroachment (if there ever was any such attempt) much more than they were able to withstand the European one centuries later. Disease would still have been a problem but they could have actually quarentened the diaseased and the disease would not spread so rapidly without them being consigned to restricted spaces. And if the native americans were able to withstand the initial Chinese onslaught (if there ever was) then they had a very rosy future ahead of them. They had large reservoirs of gold which is the most valued of commodities which they coudl have traded with the mainland nations and as a result would have been able to fill up the technological gap between themselves and the mainland nations very quickly. And their vast wealth of agriculture products would have found a huge market in the mainland nations. In my opinion had Chinese discovered the Americas the Americas would not have been there for the taking by the European nations a few centuries later.    

There is little reason to think that Chinese contact with americas would have resulted in structural changes for the local people. For example : in the 1400s  Chinese went to several (overseas) states to trade ; SE Asian,  South Asian,  Middle eastern , African etc. Apart from things of commercial nature, no structural changes in the socio-political organization took place there because of the contact, so why would this have been the case when they would have reached  the americas?

If it would follow the normal pattern ; then contact would be largely commercial (most extensively with the most organized states). Commodities would have been exchanged and it would be normal some Chinese traders would settle among the locals, just as they did in other places. Via these setttlements some cultural exchanges could take place but there is no reason to expect structural changes,  like for example South american states under Chinese domination or something.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 20:54
I tend to agree that if Chineses had come to the Americas, the continent had evolved better.

In that case, I won't expect Chineses send those huge waves of immigrants and slaves that overcrowded the Americas and changed it demographically, and that more than disseases, changed the hemisphere and pushed Amerindians as minorities in theirs own lands.

I rather would expect the treatment Chineses with the Amerindians would have been similar to that they had with other peoples of Asia. I mean, more equalitary in terms.

I also would have expected a rapid development in technologies in the Americas with the introduction of guns, iron, farm animals, writing, etc., that would had made impossible for the barbarian Europeans to destroy the Americas the way they did.

In one hand is too bad the Chineses didn't come earlier. I agree on that.

On the other hand if they they, people like me, and the largest majorities of the Western Hemisphere, wouldn't exist. Not the U.S. as we know today and not Latin America would have ever existed. The Americas would have been radically different, with a local touch but very influenced by Chinese civilization.

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 07:18
Thats not true, Chinese Rule in Burma or Vietnam was hardly egalitarian. Chinese would have acted much the same as the Spanish.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 11:58
Originally posted by Sparten

Thats not true, Chinese Rule in Burma or Vietnam was hardly egalitarian. Chinese would have acted much the same as the Spanish.

Supporting evidence, please. How the Chineses treated people in theirs conquered territories?

Perhaps I pick the wrong partner for Amerindians and you just have blown up the image I had of the Chineses LOL

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 15:03

Chinese rule was rather brutal, in Vietnam the imposition of culture was ruthless. And like the Spainiards the Chinese would have taken all the silver they could get their hands on. Only difference would have been perhaps no slave trade; African slave trade.

The sad fact is that the Amerindians were in trouble whoever made contact, the place was too rich to pass up or get pangs of conscience over.

-------------

Posted By: Sander
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 19:40
 Chinese were expansionists but that was against its neighbouring states. It not un- common for neigbours to fight and trying to incorporate each other with all consequences ( including imposing etc ) . Anyhow, this cannot be compared with their contact with far away overseas states and I think that this is what it is all about. The states in the americas would have been overseas states for them, not  direct neighbours that were fighting with them.  This fighting was usually 2 way, otherwise we would not see neighbours invading China and viceversa.

Dealing with far away overseas states was a different issue,  different policy. We clearly see that the Chinese had long contacts with many overseas states. These were overwhelmingly 2 way commerical contacts and there were only a few minor conflicts over the centuries. 

Equality was not a chinese specialty and there was a superiority complex. Non Chinese were called barbarians and wether the exchanged good came from the Arab, Indian, SE asian or African countries, there always recorded as 'tributary gifts' in the chinese annals. Good examples of literary self- aggrandizement but not harmfull for  those overseas contacts. 

Anyhow, lets compare some things.  The 1400 s were close to the Spanish contact with the amerindians, so we can compare Zheng He times with the arrival of Cortes and Pizarro. Was Zheng He trying to do the same as Cortes and Pizarro etc ? Nope,  so there is no basis for expecting  they would act the same as the Spaniards, after encountering the Americas.

Its simple ; polities like those of the Incas etc would have represented far away overseas states for the Chinese ( and not contiguous states with whom they were often fighting ). Therefore, if chinese contacts would have followed the general pattern of dealing with overseas states,  then the contacts would not be very different from their contacts with all the overseas states in Asia and Africa etc.  In other words, mainly commercial.

Posted By: jdalton
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2007 at 23:28
Originally posted by Sparten

I agree with Sander. China had no reason to accost distant kingdoms because those distant kingdoms had nothing China wanted (unlike Korea or Vietnam or Central Asia). Europeans found all sorts of things in other parts of the world that Europe lacked and launched wars to steal them. China (however far Zhenghe really got) never found anything they wanted badly enough to start a war over. This is not nobility or virtue, simply practicality.

-------------
http://www.jonathondalton.com/mycomics.html - Lords of Death and Life (a Mesoamerican webcomic)

Date Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 00:00

Well, don't agree. Chineses were very interested in the Silver from the Americas. Silver Spanish coins, printed in Mexico and Peru, circulated in large number in China, after the Spanish established a colony in Phillipines.

I bet if Chineses had knew there was silver in very large quantities in Peru and Mexico, they would had a motivation to go there. Without forgetting, emeralds, gold, jade and many other American producst that had called the attention of them.

Posted By: ehecatzin
Date Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 06:27
well the imperial fleet despite being a formidable war machine, its mission was to lay diplomatic and comertial agreements with foreign lands while showing China's military and cultural power.

If the fleet had gotten to America they would have been more interested in all these things, not in claiming all land they could see for themselvs like the spanish. These is they would have found all the exotic goods they could take back to china and start comercial persuits with america, smallpox and other diseases would have made their way into the continent sooner or later, but its not like american civilizations would dissapear because of this.

Date Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 11:38
I agree on that. The American civilization would have evolved and addapted to the outside world, rather than being destroyed and replaced by an allien culture.

Posted By: longshanks31
Date Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 16:31
I think the chinese would have done trade rather than conquest, i think the amerindians of all nations would have suffered much less, its hard to imagine how they could have suffered more.

-------------
long live the king of bhutan

Posted By: Reginmund
Date Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 19:24
Originally posted by pinguin

I tend to agree that if Chineses had come to the Americas, the continent had evolved better.

I tend to agree that this is an extremely naive stance in the well-established tradition of thinking the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Perfections is always around the next corner, or behind the former.

In that case, I won't expect Chineses send those huge waves of immigrants and slaves that overcrowded the Americas and changed it demographically, and that more than disseases, changed the hemisphere and pushed Amerindians as minorities in theirs own lands.

I don't know enough about Chinese demographics at this time, but I doubt China was any less crowded than Europe. If the Chinese had brought slaves to America, they probably wouldn't have been Black Africans, but they'd still bring slaves of some sort to carry out hard manual work, unless they'd simply make use of the native population, which the European too tried at first. Both China and Europe shared the Eurasian bacterial flora, so it's unlikely the diseases brought by the Chinese would have been much different.

I rather would expect the treatment Chineses with the Amerindians would have been similar to that they had with other peoples of Asia. I mean, more equalitary in terms.

The Chinese were anything but egalitarian with conquered peoples; in addition to the already mentioned Vietnamese and Burmese, the Koreans and the Turkic peoples of western China come to mind, the latter still consider themselves oppressed to this day. We need go no further back than february this year when a seperatist leader of the Uyghur people was executed for political dissent. Also, throughout the history of the Chinese empire they considered themselves to be the centre of the world, the name Zhongguo (or China in English) means "the central kingdom", and all peoples outside of it were considered as barbarian and inferior. The peoples of South America would at best have been considered second class citisens, but even that is in my opinion optimistic.

It is not disputed that the Chinese empire treated subjugated peoples as second class citisens, and as Sparten says there is no reason to believe the Chinese would have been any more favourably disposed towards the native Americans than their other subjects. The burden of evidence lies with those who would believe otherwise.

I also would have expected a rapid development in technologies in the Americas with the introduction of guns, iron, farm animals, writing, etc., that would had made impossible for the barbarian Europeans to destroy the Americas the way they did.

"Barbarian Europeans"? I doubt the term "barbarian" is any less applicable to the native South Americans, in any case emotional sentiments do not belong in the historical science.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 19:51
Originally posted by longshanks31

I think the chinese would have done trade rather than conquest, i think the amerindians of all nations would have suffered much less, its hard to imagine how they could have suffered more.

Yes. I do agree with you. I bet we would end agreeing in everything LOL

Date Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 03:43
Reginmund, slavery hasn't been legal in China for 2500 years. Whatever else the medieval Chinese did, they didn't keep slaves.

China doesn't have a history of establishing overseas colonies, but it does have a long history of overseas migration. Chinese people moved out along the trade routes and built communities from Japan to Indonesia to the Philippines. You can still find the descendants of these migrants throughout East Asia, either integrated into the local societies or living in Chinatowns that predate Columbus.

Since the Americas are not connected to China by land (like Korea, Tibet, Mongolia, and Vietnam) it is far more likely that Chinese "colonialism" in America would have taken the form of towns and trading ports of Chinese merchants with no direct connection to the government in Beijing and no particular motivation for outright conquest.

-------------
http://www.jonathondalton.com/mycomics.html - Lords of Death and Life (a Mesoamerican webcomic)

Posted By: Kamikaze 738
Date Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 08:00
I dont think we would ever try to colonize the Americans like what the European had done... taken from the example of Zheng He's voyages to Arabia and Africa, there has been no motivation of conquest except for establishment of recognition and trade. 

Date Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 10:51

Well, even if Chineses wouldn't conquest or settle in the Americas, the very contact between Chineses and Amerindians would have changed history. Many inventions and ideas of the Eurasian world would have come to the Americas through those Chinese merchants.

Imagine an Americas with iron, horses, large ships and gunpowder. I bet Spaniards and other Europeans won't have a chance to invade it if they tried.

Date Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 19:59
Originally posted by idalton

Reginmund, slavery hasn't been legal in China for 2500 years. Whatever else the medieval Chinese did, they didn't keep slaves.

Yes, I'm aware, and as such it's a weak point, but the Spaniards didn't practice slavery to any great extent before settling in America either.

Originally posted by Kamikaze 738

I dont think we would ever try to colonize the Americans like what the European had done... taken from the example of Zheng He's voyages to Arabia and Africa, there has been no motivation of conquest except for establishment of recognition and trade.

Well, it varied. The reign of Yongle, which sponsored Zheng He's expeditions was unusually outwardlooking, but without a sound commercial policy to back it up like the Portuguese and Spaniards. It's a contrast to the previous reign of Hongwu and the later Hongxi, which were more traditionally confucianistic, focusing on internal stability and agriculture at the expense of foreign adventures and commerce.

Imagine an Americas with iron, horses, large ships and gunpowder. I bet Spaniards and other Europeans won't have a chance to invade it if they tried.

Without America as an outlet for population pressure and a place to exploit for resources, the Europeans' future would have looked all the worse. One man's bread is another man dead, they say.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 20:35
Originally posted by Reginmund

Without America as an outlet for population pressure and a place to exploit for resources, the Europeans' future would have looked all the worse. One man's bread is another man dead, they say.

Too bad Chineses didn't arrive in time so Americans have a chance to survive ......

In the picture is Captain Popper, Romanian adventurer and exterminator of the Onas people of the Land of Fire. This is a shame of my own country, Chile, for allowing that kind of criminals as refugees. Captain Popper died stabbed by his own people, which if I were religious I would say it was divine justice.

This is what the European contact brought to the Americas, I am afraid: death and destruction.

Posted By: King John
Date Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 21:19

Too bad Chineses didn't arrive in time so Americans have a chance to survive ......

In the picture is Captain Popper, Romanian adventurer and exterminator of the Onas people of the Land of Fire. This is a shame of my own country, Chile, for allowing that kind of criminals as refugees. Captain Popper died stabbed by his own people, which if I were religious I would say it was divine justice.

This is what the European contact brought to the Americas, I am afraid: death and destruction.

There wasn't death and destruction in the Americas before European contact? Surely you jest. War, death and destruction were not inventions of Europe nor were they perfected by Europeans. There was death and destruction in the Americas before the Europeans arrived, look at the history of the Maya, and certain tribes in the Southwest USA, don't forget certain canabalistic tribes in the Carribean.

By the way if the Chinese arrived before the Europeans they would not have made that big a difference. The Americas still would not have had a supply of iron nor gunpowder. They might have had horses but the Europeans still would have won since they had resources that they could return to if they were to run out.

Date Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 21:56
Outside china itself, the chinese have never been a conquering race to anywhere near the same degree as europeans, tibet was hardly a match, and across oceans, its never happened.

The best thing would have been if the chinese had tried to invade before the europeans, many amerindian tribes were quite welcoming of the outsiders (little did they know)

A large amount of contact with china would atleast have made them aware of where they related to other civs with regard to certain technologies.

Its worth noting that many tribes of the americas were far from easy to defeat, a bit of forewarning and it could well have been very different.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 22:04

Yes. I do agree with you. I bet we would end agreeing in everything LOL

Given our fiery beginings, quite strange but when hearts are in the right places and thought out logic in order i will be bound to agree, i think you are the same pinguin

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 22:07
Originally posted by King John

There wasn't death and destruction in the Americas before European contact? Surely you jest. War, death and destruction were not inventions of Europe nor were they perfected by Europeans. There was death and destruction in the Americas before the Europeans arrived, look at the history of the Maya, and certain tribes in the Southwest USA, don't forget certain canabalistic tribes in the Carribean.

Certainly there was. However, the point is the survival of the Amerindians in theirs own lands. I think they would have more chances if Chineses or Turks (another thread) had arrived first. Contact would have been not such shocking as it was.

By the way if the Chinese arrived before the Europeans they would not have made that big a difference. The Americas still would not have had a supply of iron nor gunpowder.

Why not? Actually, the Americas are plenty of iron, and saltpepper is freely available in places like Peru. The only think needed was the technological transfer that certainly would had happened if regular commerce with Asia where established. And there wasn't lack of interest. It is well known that one Inca ask for the extermination of all the Spaniards... with the exception of the blacksmith that knew to forge iron Wink

In fact, after Spanish arrived, the European technology spread swiftly to the Americas. Farm animals like sheeps, cows, pigs, goats, plants like rice, wheat and barley,  revolutionated agriculture. Iron was introduce at once. Things like the arch in architecture, paper and alphabetic writing changed the society. Machinery was also introduced and also shipping, roads and minning technology. The same would have happened with Chineses commerce in a more peacefully manner. Besides, Amerindians would have time to acquire the inmunity to contagious deseases of the old world.

If Europeans have tried after that, I am afraid they would have encounter the same degree of resistence they found in Japan. Another country that inherited Chinese knowledge in culture, science and technology.

They might have had horses but the Europeans still would have won since they had resources that they could return to if they were to run out.

Hardly. Without the tecnological advantage they wouldn't have the chance to took land for theirs own. They wouldn't establish plantations of Africans in the Caribbean or brough billions of dollars in silver to Europe. It is likely that not even the Industrial revolution would have happened in the old world, because of lack of financing.

In fact, even with all the disadvantages, many native groups that got horses were able to defeat Spanish and others. Europeans had not the victory ensured.

Indeed, the world would have been very different if Chineses had arrived first. Too bad they didn't.

Date Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 23:57
The European incursions began in the eastern Americas, the Chinese would have begun in the west. For the Chinese to prevent European entry in the west they would need to subjugate the whole continent to their control, as well as an enormous naval capacity. There are two fallacies here.

First, the Chinese confucianistic philosophy of empire did not favour conquest or colonisation of remote areas. The reign of Emperor Yongle, who sponsored Zheng He's expeditions, was an exception to this, and the Chinese empire quickly returned to form on Yongle's death, as both the expansionist policy and the naval adventure had been huge deficit undertakings. The Ming dynasty did not favour trade either, it downright undermined it in favour of creating an agriculturally self-sufficient realm, so it is unlikely they would have established trading colonies in the Americas or even traded with the natives there at all. In any case trade would not have hampered the Europeans.

Second, if the Chinese were to defend South America against the Europeans, they would need an enormous naval capacity, and at the end of Emperor Yongle's reign the huge fleet of Zheng He was left to rot. In the 16th century the Chinese empire did not possess a proper navy at all.

Ergo the scenario of Chinese influence in South America halting the European advance is dubious at best.

NB: I recommend everyone to read the article "Zheng He: The Lone Mariner and His Times" by my good friend poirot in the AE magazine.

If Europeans have tried after that, I am afraid they would have encounter the same degree of resistence they found in Japan. Another country that inherited Chinese knowledge in culture, science and technology.

The Europeans were not impressed with the Japanese military technology, on the contrary as soon as contact was established with Europeans (1543) the warring Japanese clans were only too eager to adopt European firearms, cannons, armours and ships. European technology completely altered the nature of warfare in Japan, and from there on the armies that made use of European military technology came out on top (the career of Oda Nobunaga and the watershed battle of Nagashino illustrates this well). Hideyoshi Toyotomi even aspired to conquering China with this technology, an idea completely unheard of before the advent of European firearms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Japan#Azuchi-Momoyama_Period_.281568_-1600_AD.29 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Japan#Azuchi-Momoyama_Period_.281568_-1600_AD.29

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 02:11

The European incursions began in the eastern Americas, the Chinese would have begun in the west. For the Chinese to prevent European entry in the west they would need to subjugate the whole continent to their control, as well as an enormous naval capacity. There are two fallacies here.

??

Who said Chineses would have protected the Americans? The whole scenario was what happened if the Americans had entered in contact with Chineses CENTURIES before Europeans had a chance. If so, Amerindians would have the chance to defend themselves better than they did. They would have known there was a big danger out there waiting to come, and they would have been ready when that finally happened. That assuming that Chineses limited themselves to trade and didn't attempt to conquer the Americas the same way Europeans did, of course.

Second, if the Chinese were to defend South America against the Europeans, they would need an enormous naval capacity, and at the end of Emperor Yongle's reign the huge fleet of Zheng He was left to rot. In the 16th century the Chinese empire did not possess a proper navy at all.
Ergo the scenario of Chinese influence in South America halting the European advance is dubious at best.

Not really. Europeans were in the limit of being crashed several times. Indeed, with all theirs limitations, the defeat of Europeans in the Americas were many. Do you wonder why it took so long for Europeans to enter the Amazons? the great plains? Patagonia? Well, they encoutered there the thougher resistence of all. With a little more of tech I bet Europeans wouldn't have been so sucessful in destroying the paradise.

Yes, they may have converted the Americas into a colony after lot of effort, but I doubt they would have more than a superficial influence in there. Something like the experiences of Britain in Africa, India and China, where the people remain the same than before the invasion.

The Europeans were not impressed with the Japanese military technology, on the contrary as soon as contact was established with Europeans (1543) the warring Japanese clans were only too eager to adopt European firearms, cannons, armours and ships. European technology completely altered the nature of warfare in Japan, and from there on the armies that made use of European military technology came out on top (the career of Oda Nobunaga and the watershed battle of Nagashino illustrates this well). Hideyoshi Toyotomi even aspired to conquering China with this technology, an idea completely unheard of before the advent of European firearms.

It may be, but Europeans weren't able to destroy Japan like they did with the Americas. In fact, Christianism was crush in Japan without piety, and foreigners were kept at distance. It is amazing the clear perceptions Japaneses have of the intentions of the Europeans.

-------------

Posted By: Crystall
Date Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 03:31
Interesting.. I never thought about this

Date Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 08:50
halt no, made it a tougher challenge yes

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 13:14

Not really. Europeans were in the limit of being crashed several times. Indeed, with all theirs limitations, the defeat of Europeans in the Americas were many. Do you wonder why it took so long for Europeans to enter the Amazons? the great plains? Patagonia? Well, they encoutered there the thougher resistence of all. With a little more of tech I bet Europeans wouldn't have been so sucessful in destroying the paradise.

Depends on how one wants to look at it. Conquering South America certainly wasn't easy, conquest on such a large scale (considering the size of the continent) was difficult, risky, expensive and time consuming. Still, I find the relative speed with which the conquistadors colonised the continent to be amazing.

It may be, but Europeans weren't able to destroy Japan like they did with the Americas. In fact, Christianism was crush in Japan without piety, and foreigners were kept at distance. It is amazing the clear perceptions Japaneses have of the intentions of the Europeans.

Throughout their history the Japanese have taken great care to keep up with developments and never fall behind and become the victim of more advanced powers.

That being said, the Europeans never attempted to conquer Japan as far as I know. They simply traded with them and sent missionaries. These missionaries were relatively successful at first and some Japanese lords converted. The Japanese lords who converted were also the ones who first acquired guns from the Europeans, and could thus use this newfound power to grow on the expense of neighbouring lords who had not yet knowledge of firarms. The obscure Otomo clan is a good example of this; their leader Otomo Sorin converted to Christianity, possibly as a political manouver, and used European firepower to trumph the traditionally more powerful Shimazu clan. Oda Nobunaga, first of the three unifiers of Japan, patronised the Jesuits and the establishment of the first Christian church in Kyoto, although he never converted himself. It was only later when the Tokugawa held undisputed power in Japan that they adopted an isolationist and xenophobic policy, which affected Christianity in Japan badly as it was seen as something foreign and intrusive. Christianity was banished and the believers persecuted, the Japanese saints Magdalene of Nagasaki and Jacobo Kyushei Tomonaga were martyred in this period.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 13:40

halt no, made it a tougher challenge yes

Yes, to stop them they would need nukes. Stopping foreign ambitions was why Chineses, Russians and Indians got it, anyways, and why Cuba also tried to get some. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 01:49

Who said Chineses would have protected the Americans? The whole scenario was what happened if the Americans had entered in contact with Chineses CENTURIES before Europeans had a chance.

Indeed it would take centuries. Only the Incas were really in a position to adopt new technologies en masse (and they didn't exist centuries before 1492). The gap in technology levels would still be high everywhere else and the benefit to the Chinese to set up trade routes minimal. I'm not aware of any great demand in China for North American otter pelts. Or Mexican gold, for that matter.

I think the greatest advantage to Americans of prolonged contact with the Chinese would be an immunity to disease before the arrival of Europeans. Cortez would not have won Mexico when the Aztecs chased him out of the city with their bronze weapons and then did NOT get sick. The Mayans and Pueblo would have had fair warning when letters written in Chinese carried on horseback arrived about the goings on in Tenochtitlan. And the Incan Empire, armed with iron swords, horses, canons, and Confucian doctrine, would still be on the map today. The rest of the Americas would have a history akin to Southeast Asia- transformed into European colonies, but still preserving much of their pre-contact culture.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 02:06
Actually, all of the business of Spain in Asia was founded in a single product: silver extracted from Bolivia and Mexico. So, the Americas have many resources that certainly had called the attention of Chineses.

I very much agree with the analysis that followed. Perhaps the Europeans would have been stopped somehow, but they would have entered, anyways.

The big problem of the Americas was that, proportionally, the areas of high civilization were confined to small fraction of the hemisphere. It would have taking centuries of developing and internal conquest to level matters out. Even today there are large fractions of the continent (Northern Canada, Western Amazons) where still development is very small.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 02:17
I'm not sure they needed to "conquere" Japan, as long as it did what the powers wanted.

Posted By: drgonzaga
Date Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 03:09

Actually, all of the business of Spain in Asia was founded in a single product: silver extracted from Bolivia and Mexico. So, the Americas have many resources that certainly had called the attention of Chineses.

Actually, the business was "illegal" and the bulk of the trade was carried by Cantonese merchants with their counterparts in Manila more or less against existing mercantile restrictions. From 1580 on the transport of merchandise west on the famous Manila Galleon was theoretically controlled (the level of smuggling was mind boggling and came to the attention of the Manila Audiencia with the sinking of one of the ships in the 1590s and salvage operations revealed a volume of cargo far exceeding the official manifest! Throughout the early decades of the 17th century, the Council of the Indies rpeatedly sought to control the volume of silver coin carried from Acapulco by the returning galleon and actually legislated against Chinese silks and ceramics as threats to Spanish textiles and earthenware (Majolica). Further, control was extended against the Piruleros, coastal vessels sailing from Peru to Acapulco. In modern parlance, the commerce would be called the "luxury trade" and repeatedly knocked heads with Spanish sumptuary laws and coinage control. Interestingly, the fact that only a single ship was permitted to cross the Pacific from Manila spurred the development of the largest cargo vessels ever built by Europeans prior to the 18th century!

However, the tone set here follows the erroneous parameters given the voyages of Zheng He, which were imperialist in nature and directed toward the Muslim Indian Ocean periphery. When coupled to the nonsense over the pacific nature of the Chinese, it becomes just too much bilge water! The Chinese were far from pacifist in their history and in the 2nd through 7th centuries exactly as fierce as any of their contemporaries elsewhere. Just the manner in which Zheng He became an imperial eunuch to the Yongle emperor should cure anyone of this fantasy. Anthropologists long speculated as to the possibility of some Chinese voyager knowing the maritime passage across the northern Pacific from Asia to North America but the premise of a 1421 venture is more than improbable.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 04:22

We would need to look at the size and technology of the Indians on the west coast to see.

If China did make a foothole and hit the Rockie Mountains, would they be prepared to cross them and continue to conquer?   I am not sure they would

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 14:55
Its not too late ofcourse, atleast via trade the chinese may take hold of the americas yet, i like the chinese, apart from the communist blip which is all but over except in name, the chinese have been the most marvelous peoples in history.

-------------

Posted By: Mikestone8
Date Posted: 15-Mar-2014 at 05:02
Perhaps Kubilai Khan's Mongols might be a better bet than the Chinese. They would have loved the Great Plains. And as a nomadic people they would have ben culturally closer to the Amerindians.

See Poul Anderson's short story "The Only Game In Town".

-------------
Mike Stone, Peterborough, England.

Always drink upriver from the herd.

Posted By: medenaywe
Date Posted: 15-Mar-2014 at 06:46
Very racial issues indeed.Beleive me till the "Iron Curtain" has fallen all around us has been  bad trial to some very insane group of people to introduce caste system on Earth's soil!Is the insanity
main condition to rule the states?!?Who do control it?

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com