URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22164
Printed Date: 20-Apr-2024 at 04:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Russia in the Post-Napoleonic World
Posted By: HaloChanter
Subject: Russia in the Post-Napoleonic World
Date Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 16:49
Hey folks,

Just to let you know (I hope no one minds me "tooting" my own horn here) but I've just submitted an article on AllEmpires Magazine. It'll be a two-part piece on the Russian Empire in the post-Napoleonic World. Russia has remained a behemoth in European history, and no less spectacular than its rise to Communist Empire in the twentieth century was its Imperial power in the nineteenth century. After the Napoleonic Wars Russia was regarded as the continental power, and headed the Unholy Alliance, maintaining the supremacy of the Eastern Despots against the liberal and social convulsions of the West that had done so much damage during the Napoleonic era.

But when Russia crossed the line in attempting to dispose of the Ottoman Empire as it saw fit, it was swiftly crushed in the Crimean War 1853-56 by an alliance of France, Great Britain, Turkey and Sardinia-Pedimont. Not only were huge weaknesses revealed in the structure of Russia's power, but its undisputed power in the first half of the nineteenth century had ensured diplomatic isolation, and one by one of its neighbours became belligerent - except the faithful Prussia.
In 1856, exhausted and defeated, Russia signed the Peace of Paris and instantly became a second rate Power.

The first part I have submitted deals with these themes, especially the specific causes of Russia's defeat during the Crimean War. The second part will focus on the consequences for Russia that the Peace of Paris brought, and its efforts to regain its status as a Great Power once again.

These pieces formed part of research I had conducted while an undergraduate student at my University, and has since remained a deep interest of mine. I hope therefore that you enjoy them as well, and perhaps in this thread we can get a good discussion going on Imperial Russia during the nineteenth century.

You can find the First Part here, http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=Part_1_Russia_in_the_Post-Napoleonic_World - http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=Part_1_Russia_in_the_Post-Napoleonic_World

Thanks very much. So, Imperial Russia in the nineteenth century, anybody?

-------------
Kind regards,

HaloChanter

Replies:
Posted By: Sarmat
Date Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 21:50
I don't think the defeat in Crimean war was so devastating for Russia.

First of all, the allies suffered very heavy casualties, according to some sources, even more heavy than Russians. And their victory was anything but not "swift"

Secondly, Russia complitely liquidated all the negative consequences of Crimean war relatively dast, without any kind of sound opposition from the former enemies, which shows that it wasn't the second rate power.

Russia remained first rate power very well until Russo-Japanese war, which actually ruined its image much more than Crimean war, the effects of which are usually exaggerated.

Besides, the defeat in Crimean war happened not due to the internal "weakness" of Russia, but only due to some huge miscalculation of the foreign policy of Nicholas I.

-------------
Σαυρομάτης

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 15-Oct-2007 at 23:39
Originally posted by Sarmat12

It was, of course quite devastating for Russian Empire. It has lost in all expansionist ambitions at the time, together with the heavy casualties in army and navy added up.

Russia repaired its losses for sure, but it took up long years.

Russia remained first rate power very well until Russo-Japanese war, which actually ruined its image much more than Crimean war, the effects of which are usually exaggerated.

After late 18th century, Russia was always a first rate power in Europe...The effects of the Crimean War was nullified in 1870s, where Russian expansionism came back into life.

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 02:55
Originally posted by Kapikulu

It was, of course quite devastating for Russian Empire. It has lost in all expansionist ambitions at the time, together with the heavy casualties in army and navy added up.

Russia repaired its losses for sure, but it took up long years.

As I have already said, the same devastating casualties were suffered by England and France. Below I quote the list of the casualties of all the warring parties from different sources. Just compare the numbers and see that the casualties for both opponents i.e. Russia and Allies are roughly the same.

Also bare in mind that the Russian army in Crimea at that time was the weakest of all it had at the moment.

The best armies were in the northern Caucasus and along the western border of the Russian empire.

Russia couldn't move the main forces to the Crimean theater, because of the threat of possible Austrian invasion. This threat become possible only due to the miscalculation of Nicholas I who put too much trust in Austria in vain.

Also bare in mind that Sevastopol, that costed the allies so many casualties, wasn't even a land fortress, but had been hastily transformed into such by the energetic Russian commanders, the garrison  of Sevastopol mainly consisted of sailors and not infantry men trained for the regular warfare, yet this relatively weak forces succesfully repelled several allied attacks.

Yes, allies were succesful in Sevastopol, however, they were repelled on all the other theaters i.e. Baltic, White Sea and Pacific Ocean. Combine Anglo-French attack on the Russian fort Petrapavlosk-Kamchatsk on Kamchatka penninsula on Pacific ended in a serious defeat of the allies (this chapter of the war for some reasons it's not very famous).

Also in Analolia Russian forces were succesful and captured the strong Turkish fortress Kars (it was actually the last battle of the war, if I'm correct).

Now, compare the initial goals of the allies and the their final achievements.

Initial goals of allies (by lord Palmerston) were:

Aland island and Finnland should be returned to Sweden

Russian Baltic possessions go to Prussia

Polish state should be restored as a barrier between Russia and Germany

Crimea and Caucasus should be returned to Turkey

So, what were the final results of the war?

Russia returns Kars to Turkey, Allies return Sevastopol and other captured Crimean cities to RUssia

Black is sea is declared neutral; Turkey and Russia are prohibited to have military fleets and war bases in the Black Sea region.

The commercial navigation on Danube is declared free

A tiny piece of Russian territory near Danube is transferred to Moldova

Russia is deprived of the protectorate over the christians of the Ottoman empire.

Russia obliges not to fortificate Aland islands.

Indeed, Russia was weakened to some extent but initial plans of the allies were totally ruined as well.

Already, in 1871 Russia liquidated the prohibition to have miltary fleet in Black Sea, which was actually the most worst consequence of the war for Russia.

Also bare in mind that after the war Russians still continued their slow advanc in Central Asia. So, although the Ottoman Empire was saved, Russian expansionism definetely wasn't complitely halted.

Casualties:

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wars19c.htm#Crim - http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wars19c.htm#Crim

1. Crimean War (1854-56)
    2. Bodart:
      • Russia: 40,000 KIA + 60,000 disease = 100,000
      • France: 20,240 KIA + 75,375 dis. = 95,615
      • Turkey: ca. 35,000 dead
      • UK: 4,602 KIA + 17,580 dis. = 22,182
      • Piedmont: 28 KIA + 2,166 dis. = 2,194
      • [TOTAL: 277,173]
    • The Crimean War (Essential Histories, No 2) by John Sweetman
      • UK
        • KIA: 2,755
        • Died of wounds: 2,019
        • Died of disease: 16,323
        • Total: 21,097
      • France
        • KIA: 10,240
        • Died of wounds: 20,000
        • Died of disease: 75,000
        • [Total: 105,240]
      • Sardinia: 2,050 (all causes)
      • Turkey: unkn.
      • Russia: 110,000+
      • TOTAL: Paul de la Gorce est. >300,000 "may not be far wrong"
    • 1911 Britannica
      • Battle deaths:
        • Allies: 70,000
        • Russians: 128,700
        • TOTAL: 198,700
      • Dead from all causes
        • Allies: 252,600 (including 5,000 English)
        • Russians: 256,000
        • TOTAL: 508,000
    • Urlanis
      • K. in Battle: 53,000
      • Military. Killed and died: 309,000
    • Singer, COWP:
      • Russia: 100,000
      • France: 95,000
      • Turkey: 45,000
      • UK: 22,000
      • Sardinia: 2,200
      • TOTAL: 264,200
    • Eckhardt: 264,000 military
    • MEDIAN: Of the six estimates, the median falls between 277,000 and 300,000

• -------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 05:20
    Dear HaloChanter,

I've read your article. And I have to say that I complitely disagree with this assesment.  You seem just to repeat the sources which actually repeat some "Soviet history sciense" dogmas about the inherent inferiority of the Nicholas I Russia.

Yes, the West was definetely more progressive, it was one of the reasons of Russia's defeat. But it definetely wasn't so easy as you described it in your article.

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Posted By: Justinian
    Date Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 05:28
    Let me first just say my knowledge of the crimean war is just plain poor.  About as good as my grasp of vietnamese history.

That being the case I found your article quite interesting.  The points you make seem logical and you back them up with sources.  So, I give you my compliments on it.  A welcome addition to the assemblage of articles we already have.

As an aside if you are up to it, you should open a thread or two on the Crimean war.  I would expect a good deal of responses; you should get at least one member (agehm *Sarmat12*) to respond anyway.Cheeky

-------------
    "War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Date Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 05:51
    Don't you find my point about the same degree of devastion in the Allies' casualties, after you reviewed some numbers I posted below.

I back them with some sources BTW Smile

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 06:00
    Yes, certainly, I don't disagree with what you have said.  It certainly seems to be the case that the allies suffered high casualties.  Just a "tongue in cheek" comment as gcle2003 might say.Embarrassed

I only mentioned you specifically in the last part because you held a different view than HaloChanter. 

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 07:04
    Smile

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 08:09
    Thank you Justinian! Very kind.
    Hello Sarmat, thanks for jumping in. The sources were quite varied, and as academic historians of East and West, old and modern, they all took different view points (I try to take "both" sides of the line when writing).

For example, to say that Russia's defeat was due to Nicholas I's foreign policy, and not the internal weakness of Russia, is to ignore the overwhelming evidence.

Are you to suggest that it didn't matter that Russia had absolutely no railway south of Moscow, and it often took months to transport troops to the front 1,600km away, with supplies being sent by bullock cart, whereas the allies could reinforce their armies within 3 weeks?
    Logisitcs and communications are overwhelming factors in warfare, never more so than in modern warfare. The balance was far in Britain and France's favour, as the Tsar's chief ministers commented in my article.

Furthermore, the system of autocratic government left the provinces chronically short of administration and denied the full resources of state to the war effort. Serfdom, the Tsar's power, meant that he was reluctant to draft troops and had very little real-term manpower to rely on, the reserves of which were - as you have quite rightly suggested - pinned down protecting idle borders due to the Tsar's past foreign policy. But also because no effective militia or conscription was available instead.

The supremacy of the rifle over the musket was very much a deciding factor in almost all the set-piece battles, espcially Alma. The Russian army had changed not a wink from the previous forty-years while Britain and France had introduced new arms, tactics and methods that gave them a huge advantage - as is shown in the article (sorry, I hate repeating that).

The defeat in the Crimean definately left Russia a second rate power. She withdrew from active expansion for over twenty years in Europe, and as my second article will show next month, everybody - including the Tsar - acknowledged the defeat as severely weakening Russia. It instead focused on expansion in the East, and left Europe and the Ottoman Empire alone until the Glorious Reforms of Alexander II had sorted out Russia's internal problems (abolishment of serfdom, increase in industry and technology, etc, all problems, as I stated in the article, that contributed to Russia's defeat), foreign policy had been realigned (Prussian relationship and expansion) army had been strengthened and the time was finally right (1871, when the world was distracted by France's defeat). Only then did Russia step back on to the stage as a Great Power - but even then she was put "back in place" by the European concert (and Disraeli's jingoism).

Thanks - must dash to work. Enjoyed talking with you!

-------------
    Kind regards,

HaloChanter

Date Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 17:58
    Firstly, consider the fact. That Russia actually didn't move any substantial reinforcements because it was threated on other fronts. As I said earlier, Russia miscalculated possible role of Austria and instead of sending western armies to Crimea, it had to hold them on the Western border.

Without this threat, Russia would move the reinforcements to Crimea and the Allies would be overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of fresh Russian troops.

Russia couldn't do that.

Besides, railroads didn't play any important role in this war at all. Did allies used the railroad to supply their troops or what?

Secondly it's not correct to assume that Allies were overwhelmingly armed with rifles. The bulk of the Allies-French army was mostly armed with muskets. Yes, it's true, only some of the French troops were armed with rifles, but not the whole army. The majority of troops were armed with muskets. Turkish and Piemont armies were also only armed with Muskets.

Russian army also had special units armed with rifles, but majority, like the French army were armed with muskets.

Yes, British army was armed with rifles, but unlike French, British army didn't pay the decisive role in the war.

So, the role of rifle is also greatly exagerrated in this conflict.

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Posted By: Desperado
    Date Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 20:43
    Originally posted by HaloChanter

The defeat in the Crimean definately left Russia a second rate power.

I can not agree with that. The WW1 and WW2 left Germany a second rate power. But that can't be said about XIXth century Russia. The Crimean war just slowed temporally Russian expansion south for 2 decades, nothing else. The Russian empire remained the continental titan which could deal with all of its oponents one on one until the begining of the XXth century.

Date Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 21:31
    Sorry, but the evidence and sources prove otherwise.

The French minie Rifle was at the forefront of both allied armies at the outbreak of the Crimean War, so much so that Rifles were appearing in French and British native colonial regiments in their respective empires by mid-century (and the minie-rifle appearing as early as the 40's in French coloian regiments).
    It was far from standard in the British army yet, but Infantry of the Line (those in the front of the action) were issued with the rifle which was employed to great extent and carnage during the Crimean War.
    Similarly, almost all light battatlions in the French army had been issued with the minie rifle, as had most of the Line infantry by the mid-century.

There wasn't more than a handful of Rifles in the entire 800,000 strong Russian army, large regiments of which were still weilding flintlocks from the Napoleonic War. As shown in the article, prior practice and experience was almost non-existent, supply and ammunition stocks during the war were chronically dire and in very great demand. Russian guns were often silent within minutes of opening fire due to lack of shells.

The Russian army was so poorly equipped that it often failed, and only overcame tribal resistance in the Caucasus, after some decades.

Furthermore, in a country of some 50 millions, Russia's poor diplomacy should not have stopped it from injecting hundreds of thousands of more troops in to the Crimea had the system of serfdom not been in place across the Empire at the time, the authorities fearing a multitude of Serfs gaining their political freedom. That is why 200,000 troops were pinned down uselessly across the Baltic and Galician frontiers. Well, that and the fact that the Russian economy could not supply its armies with enough arms and ammunition to draft more troops in to the Crimea.

It is telling, as the article shows, that within the year the Army of the Crimea was all but out of action.

but unlike French, British army didn't pay the decisive role in the war.

- In regards to British performance, it was substantial in the Crimean War. Allied victory at the Battle of Alma was significantly a British effort, perhaps the map gives some indication showing lines of advancement:

Although problems of sanitation and the confusion of beurecratic administration (causing stocks of supplies to sit at harbour rather than filter out to the troops) took a subsequent toll on the British Army after Alma, as the siege of Sebastopol drew to a close, the British were once again the dominant partners of the Allied war effort and was increasing numbers and armaments at a rate unseen, while the Russian state was nearing bankruptcy and collapse.

Besides, railroads didn't play any important role in this war at all. Did allies used the railroad to supply their troops or what?

- The lack of railroads played a VERY important role in the war. Having no railroad south of Moscow meant that supplies and communications had to travel by bullock, 1,600km's away in often impassable weather and conditions. As the article shows, it could sometimes take up to a year, but more on average several months. The allies could ship supplies and reinforcements within 3 weeks. The internal lack of industry and infrastructure meant that Russia, compared to France and Britain, was at a serious disadvantage.

Again, the evidence, contemporary opinion and sources contradict the idea that diplomacy alone doomed the Russian war effort. It was a contribution, but it was not the biggest, least of all was it the only one.

Thanks again!

-------------
    Kind regards,

HaloChanter

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 04:47
    Your sources are wrong.

French army was mainly equipped with muskets during the Crimean war.

Next time I will give proper references for that.

British involvenment wasn't crucial at all, and the dirty job was done by French, British forces usually quite often were overwhelmed by Russians and then begged for French help.

The war was conducted so badly from the allied side, the "Crimean war" is still the synonim of the terrible military command and high losses in the Western historical science.

Russia simply wasn't able to move any substantial reinforcements because of the THREAT OF THE INVASION OF AUSTRIA.

There was no source to take reinforcements from. All the troops were busy. Simply is that. Railroads have nothing to do with that.

What if Russia had railroads in the South? What difference does it make if there is no troops to transport?

I don't know why I have to repeat this point 3 times. Is it that still unclear?

Russia lost because of the Nicholas miscalculations and bad commanders, who could crash all the allied army just after the landing.  Though, the Allied commanders were equally stupid and did many miscalculations as well.

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 07:49

- Well, there's no need to be rude. The reason you keep repeating yourself is because you cite no sources, and attempt to argue your point simply by saying "you are wrong, I am right".

- I'm waiting.

Thanks!

-------------
    Kind regards,

HaloChanter

Posted By: Desperado
    Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 10:31
    "The French Campaign of 1859
    by Dr. Patrick Marder

Despite its possibilities and perspectives, the practical heritage of the Crimean War for the French Army was a meager one. The Historique of the artillery service admitted openly in 1858 that "the fusil d'infanterie [the smoothbore musket] has rendered little or no service "; which is quite a strong statement when one remembers that this weapon equipped 83% of French forces in the Crimea.[1] Essentially then, an overwhelming proportion of French infantry—the men of the line regiments—made little direct military contribution to combat, surrendering the decisive battle role to the elite forces of the Zouaves, Turcos, Chasseurs, equipped with rifled arms and fighting in the light infantry order.
    [1]. Historique du Service de l'Artillerie, Paris, 1858, p. 535. "

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/19thcentury/articles/frenchcampaignof1859.aspx - Military History Online

Furthermore, in a country of some 50 millions, Russia's poor diplomacy should not have stopped it from injecting hundreds of thousands of more troops in to the Crimea had the system of serfdom not been in place across the Empire at the time, the authorities fearing a multitude of Serfs gaining their political freedom. That is why 200,000 troops were pinned down uselessly across the Baltic and Galician frontiers.

The russian troops concentration on the Baltic front was not due to "fearing a multitude of Serfs gaining their political freedom", but because it was close to the Russian capital.

Posted By: pekau
    Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 13:53

For Imperial Russia, loss of some hundred thousand men isnt so bad due to overwhelming numerical superiority of Russian armies. However, I would say that Russians did suffer from Crimean War. Though the cloudy fear of Russia terrorized and made psychological impact on Europe, Crimean War proved that Russian military can be beaten just like when Napoleon was forced to retreat from Russian armies. As well, Russian victory in Crimean War would have made huge impact towards Imperial Russia. Popularity of Tsar would boost up, Imperial Russia can improve their economic by controlling strategic areas, and now can literally push their way into declining Ottoman Turks and beyond. Once Russians secure and defend the Dardenelle and route to modern day Turkey, Imperial Russia can conquer Turkey, and much of Northern Middle East and maybe even have enough luxery to build huge fleet to check the British Royal Navy. Just imagine Imperial Russia absorbing Ottoman Empire. Its not a pleasant thought to any powers around the world.

British involvenment wasn't crucial at all, and the dirty job was done by French, British forces usually quite often were overwhelmed by Russians and then begged for French help.

Even though it was indeed French and Turks who contributed huge support in numbers, I feel that British aid did made huge difference in Crimean War. British Royal Navy ensured that no Russians could use bodies of water as an advantage in war. Plus, the British bombardment in Stevastopol and later nearly conquering it caused huge stocks of weapons and supplies to be trapped in besieged fortress, along with thousands of Russian soldiers. British fleets ensured that reasonable logistic supply lines are secured, something Russians always lacked in almost any wars. Recall WWII. Should we say Britain made huge importan contribution to victory as Russians did merely because there were more Russians? Number is not everthing. It helps, but only to limited degree. Eastern front in WWI is a classical example of this.

French army was mainly equipped with muskets during the Crimean war.

Until near the Franco-Prussian war, French armies were not equipped heavily with rifles. In fact, the infamous Chassepot rifles that became standard issue in French military did not take place until 1866 and Crimean War ended in 1856. Theres ten years gap, people. It is possible that French may had different rifles, but either they were still crude as muskets since bayonet charge and close combats were quite common. (Or is it because they were simply so many Russians?)

I guess reference could really save the day, Sarmat12. Do post it, if you can.

It is true that Russians did not possess huge numerical superiority as we may believe. (Some already pointed out this) But Russians did enjoy the numerical advantage because most of the infantry (Number-wise wait, is that even a word?) in the grand alliance were Turks, and they often were inferior even against Russian soldiers. France was the shield and the armor of the alliance, helping out the dying Turks by halting the Russian advance and pushing the shield towards Russia as Britain spearheaded the crucial areas, such as Sevastopol.

The war was conducted so badly from the allied side, the "Crimean war" is still the synonim of the terrible military command and high losses in the Western historical science.

I know its off-topic, but I felt the word Crimean quite fluffy, like whip cream on mocha. Sleepy

Russia simply wasn't able to move any substantial reinforcements because of the THREAT OF THE INVASION OF AUSTRIA.

To some degree, yes. Austrians were not in shape to support or stab Imperial Russia. It is true that Austrians did invaded some Russian land, it was negligible to the overall scheme of war. Besides, Austrians are not going to bash through Russia. They will be checked by Germans. And remember, they were also occupied with political stability. Main issue for Austrians is not expansion. They needed to maintain order in their own land, nevermind getting involve with war against Russia or anyone else for that matter.

Austria-Hungary Empire was in similar position as Italy in WWI. They wont act unless it is clear that Russians are so beaten up that Austrians could hope to get something out of it without suffering fair loss of men and money.

There was no source to take reinforcements from. All the troops were busy. Simply is that. Railroads have nothing to do with that.

What if Russia had railroads in the South? What difference does it make if there is no troops to transport?

There was no Trans-Siberian Railway operating in Crimean war.LOL I wont say no chance, since there were still fair number of reserves that could have been used.

Sarmat12, for future reference you should try to post your articles in different languages. Clearly, people are still unclear. Wink

-------------
    http://swagbucks.com/refer/Malachi">      

Join us.

Posted By: gcle2003
    Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 14:47
    Depends what you mean by 'second-rate' power, I guess. I think part of HaloChanter's point is that from 1815-56 Russia was viewed as the land superpower, as Britain was viewed as the superpower at sea. During that period they dominated in much the same way as the Soviet Union and the US did in the nineteen-fifties and sixties.

In that period there were in the popular imagination only two first-rate powers therefore: Britain and Russia. The Crimean War dented both their images: however Russia PR-wise suffered more because it was a land war (their speciality) not a naval one. So yes, I do think that Russia slipped a notch as a result of the war, whereas no-one took very seriously Britain's poor performance.

That is not of course to say that it did not remain a considerable power. In fact its actual power probably wasn't affected much, just its image.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 15:15
    Well, power is considerably relative. The Tsarist authority was so closely bound with military prestige, that had Nicholas not died, it is doutbful whether he would have had a smooth ride afterwards. Alexander II had to implement reforms for the monarchy to survive. Well, as history shows us, his failure to implement them seriously led to his assassination in 1881, and ultimately the struggle of his successors was one of public agitation against the failure of the regime.

It is to ignore all evidence and contemporary opinion to suggest that Russia's failure in the Crimean War and up to the revolution was not a reflection of its own internal weaknesses.

Well, the mere fact that the succeeding regime of Alexander II implemented the Great Reforms (in industry, economics, technology, law and government, the areas I have suggested contributed to the defeat of Russia) from the end of the war until the 1860's is proof that it was believed these were the reasons for Russia's failure.

We were defeated not by the external forces of the Western alliance but by our own internal weakness. - this was the voice of a Slavophile, of all people, in the days after the Peace of Paris (see: Hosking's "Russia and the Russians", and Fletcher & Ischenko's monumentous "The Crimean War - A Clash of Empires").

Thanks!

-------------
    Kind regards,

HaloChanter

Posted By: pekau
    Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 15:37
    Originally posted by gcle2003

...whereas no-one took very seriously Britain's poor performance.

Meh. Almost everyone messed up in Crimean War. Poor communication, inability to attack in teamwork occured in practically every nations. World should have learned from this mistake, but no... thousands of fallen soldiers are not enough to reform the military. France paid the consquence for their ignorance, when well armed French troops faced bitter defeat against Germans in Franco-Prussian War.

That is not of course to say that it did not remain a considerable power. In fact its actual power probably wasn't affected much, just its image.

As I have said before, I think Russian military was hugely affected. I think the biggest mistakes made by some Tsars is that they need to be absolutely serious about it. Russo-Japanese War, entering WWI, Crimean War... Look at aggressive British naval actions to maintain sea supremacy. Tsars, when in situations like in war, need to have iron-grip like Stalin and use all means necessary to win the war. Are Russians being beaten in Crimean War? Bring the reserves from Russia. Use unemployed and expandable people to reinforce the war effort. Tsars always are indecesive. Kingdom of Romance have plenty of stories about how powerful armies lost the war they should have won due to incapable leaders.

-------------
    http://swagbucks.com/refer/Malachi">      

Join us.

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 18:12
    Originally posted by pekau

Even though it was indeed French and Turks who contributed huge support in numbers, I feel that British aid did made huge difference in Crimean War. British Royal Navy ensured that no Russians could use bodies of water as an advantage in war. Plus, the British bombardment in Stevastopol and later nearly conquering it caused huge stocks of weapons and supplies to be trapped in besieged fortress, along with thousands of Russian soldiers. British fleets ensured that reasonable logistic supply lines are secured, something Russians always lacked in almost any wars. Recall WWII. Should we say Britain made huge importan contribution to victory as Russians did merely because there were more Russians? Number is not everthing. It helps, but only to limited degree. Eastern front in WWI is a classical example of this.

Perhaps, I have to agree with you that British fleet was important for the supply of the Allied army.

However, don't forget that there was a French fleet also, which could also perform the same task.

There were no any fortress trapped by British fleet. Even Sevastopol wasn't completely blocked.

The numbers actually mattered because it were the French who took Malakhov kurgan and thus obtained the victory. The capture of Malakhov kurgan meant the capture of Sevastopol. At the same time all the British attacks on Sevastopol were repelled. And the numbers still mattered in Crimean was much more, because the trench warfare and the age of machine gun were not there yet.

Until near the Franco-Prussian war, French armies were not equipped heavily with rifles. In fact, the infamous Chassepot rifles that became standard issue in French military did not take place until 1866 and Crimean War ended in 1856. Theres ten years gap, people. It is possible that French may had different rifles, but either they were still crude as muskets since bayonet charge and close combats were quite common. (Or is it because they were simply so many Russians?)

I guess reference could really save the day, Sarmat12. Do post it, if you can.

Thank you for this note Pekau. I just want to add the info which I have from my Russian book.

It's a book by Kesnovsky A.A., called "the history of Russian army."

http://militera.lib.ru/h/kersnovsky1/index.html - http://militera.lib.ru/h/kersnovsky1/index.html

It says that "French infantry undertook the Crimean campaign with the muskets adopted in 1777 and approved by Lois 16. Only zuav (3 regiments) and infantry egers had rifles (5 batallions) almot the same kind of proportion of rifle equipped units was in the Russian troops."

It is true that Russians did not possess huge numerical superiority as we may believe. (Some already pointed out this) But Russians did enjoy the numerical advantage because most of the infantry (Number-wise wait, is that even a word?) in the grand alliance were Turks, and they often were inferior even against Russian soldiers. France was the shield and the armor of the alliance, helping out the dying Turks by halting the Russian advance and pushing the shield towards Russia as Britain spearheaded the crucial areas, such as Sevastopol.

First of all, Russians didn't posses numerical superiority in Crimea at all.

Scondly, the bulk of the Allied armies in Crimea consisted of French. The number of Turks there was insignificant some 30 thousands and they didn't play any important role in the campain at all.

When you say that Turks were inferior "even again Russian soldiers" it means that than English army was even more inferior than Turks, because they usually were beaten by Russians.

One of the best examples is the attack on the Russian fort Petrapavlovsk-Kamchatsk when Anglo-French (mainly English) forces surpassed Russian garrison in proportion 3 to 1. it was totally destroyed, despite of the Allied numerical superiority. The British admiral called this defeat the biggest shame of the British army ever.

To some degree, yes. Austrians were not in shape to support or stab Imperial Russia. It is true that Austrians did invaded some Russian land, it was negligible to the overall scheme of war. Besides, Austrians are not going to bash through Russia. They will be checked by Germans. And remember, they were also occupied with political stability. Main issue for Austrians is not expansion. They needed to maintain order in their own land, nevermind getting involve with war against Russia or anyone else for that matter.

This is a complitely wrong picture. Austria in fact was totally in position to stab Imperial Russia. Moreover, due to the unwise Russian foreign policy, Russia couldn't use the hostility between Prussia and Austria for its benefits.

As we know Austria presented an ultimatum to Russia and because of that Russia had to evacuate from Danube principalities. At the end of the war Austria openly joined the Allies and presented Russia with another ultimatum, which was accepted and was actually embodied complitely in Paris peace treaty.

During all the time of the war Austria kept its armies on the Russian border, which made impossible for Russians to transform any reinforcements to Crimea.

Austria also had a secret agreement with Prussia which had article of joint attack on Russia, in case the latter doesn't accept Austrian demands.

Sweden BTW was also openly hostile to Russia, it threatened to invade and allowed the Allies to use its ports as military bases against Russia.

Because of the stupidity of the Russian foreign policy, Russia wasn't able to attract Prussia to its cause. And eventually, Prussia was driven to the secret Anti-Russian areement by Austria.

Do you know that Nicholas I said, that his biggest mistake ever, was the salvation of Austria from Hungarian rebbels? He called himself one of the most stupid European monarchs after the real attitude  of Austria became evident during the Crimean war. I think he was pretty right.

My source for the above facts is the Russian article of wiki, which gives all the references and is called one of the best sources on the war in the Russian internet.

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%BC%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B9%D0%BD%D0%B0 - http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%BC%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B9%D0%BD%D0%B0

There was no Trans-Siberian Railway operating in Crimean war.LOL I wont say no chance, since there were still fair number of reserves that could have been used.

Sarmat12, for future reference you should try to post your articles in different languages. Clearly, people are still unclear. Wink

All the available reserves were used. Most of them were kept on the Western border and Baltics, because those theaters were considered much more important than the remote Crimea, and could potentially harm Russia much more than the failure in Crimea.

I have already proved the reasons for that and gave the source above.

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 18:24

- Well, there's no need to be rude. The reason you keep repeating yourself is because you cite no sources, and attempt to argue your point simply by saying "you are wrong, I am right".

I'm not rude. I just felt a bit frustrated because, although I presented the point about the threat to the Russian western border several times, it still looked like you ignored it.

Sorry for any misundestanding.

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 18:34
    it still looked like you ignored it.

- Did I? I said on several occassions that, as you rightly pointed out, diplomatic isolation contributed to defeat, but it was not alone, nor was it the most important.

I take a multi-causal view that many factors contributed to Russia's defeat, all of which eminated from Russia's internal weaknesses. This is the reason Alexander, under the pressure of all Russians, had to implement huge reforms. What other evidence is required?

Thanks!

-------------
    Kind regards,

HaloChanter

Posted By: Temujin
    Date Posted: 17-Oct-2007 at 21:09
    from what i read recently, Austria has sent 300,000 troops to the Russian border, as opposed to 100,000 French and 35,000 British in the Crimean itself.

-------------

Posted By: gcle2003
    Date Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 14:04

...whereas no-one took very seriously Britain's poor performance.

Meh. Almost everyone messed up in Crimean War. Poor communication, inability to attack in teamwork occured in practically every nations. World should have learned from this mistake, but no... thousands of fallen soldiers are not enough to reform the military. France paid the consquence for their ignorance, when well armed French troops faced bitter defeat against Germans in Franco-Prussian War.

Unhappy

As I have said before, I think Russian military was hugely affected.
    I woldn't disagree with what you go on to say. I would say however that those weaknesses were not caused by the Crimean War, but revealed by it: they already existed though the world at large was blind to them. So my point is that Russia appeared to be weakened by the war, but actually was already weaker than was thought.

I think the biggest mistakes made by some Tsars is that they need to be absolutely serious about it. Russo-Japanese War, entering WWI, Crimean War... Look at aggressive British naval actions to maintain sea supremacy. Tsars, when in situations like in war, need to have iron-grip like Stalin and use all means necessary to win the war. Are Russians being beaten in Crimean War? Bring the reserves from Russia. Use unemployed and expandable people to reinforce the war effort. Tsars always are indecesive. Kingdom of Romance have plenty of stories about how powerful armies lost the war they should have won due to incapable leaders.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 14:55
    That's right in Russian history almost everything depended on a character of the tsar.

For example, Peter the Great, he just creates a strong power from nowhere.

Then his heirs destroy his achievements. Then Catherine the great comes and brings Russia to the top again.

This curve is a typical feature of the Russian history.

In fact, Nicholas I was a strong character as well, but he was a kind of shortsighted I would say.

Though, I believe the biggest shame of all the Russian tsars was Nicholas II. He took a very strong empire from his father and he left it in ruins.

Sometimes I think where would be Russia now, if instead of miserable Nicholas II, there was a new Peter the great, Catherine II or Alexander II.

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 18-Oct-2007 at 15:20

- Did I? I said on several occassions that, as you rightly pointed out, diplomatic isolation contributed to defeat, but it was not alone, nor was it the most important.

Under the given circumsances the position of Austria was a key factor of the Russian defeat.

Consider the fact that the allies planned to take Sevastopol in 2 weeks. It took them a year and costed them enormous casualties...

Moreover, what did they acheived at the end? They even were not able to get complete contol of the small Crimean penninsula.

And only when Austria threatened with the invasion, Russia agreed to peace talks.

Perhaps the whole initial contingent of the allied troops died at Sevastopol, either in battle or because of deseases, including both the top English and French commanders.

At the same time, Russian army at Sevastopol was the weakest the empire had.

The strongest Russian army always was in Northern Caucasus, fighting these "wild tribes" as you said. In fact, those "wild tribes" were formidable opponents. They were naturally born fighters, armed with the English rifles BTW.

The other armies were unable to move to Crimea because of the sudden threat from the "loyal" Austria.

I believe, that if the Russian armies were able to move to Crimea from the Western border, it wouldn't be the siege of Sevastopol, it would be a siege of the allied army camp, somewhere on the coast of Black sea

I take a multi-causal view that many factors contributed to Russia's defeat, all of which eminated from Russia's internal weaknesses. This is the reason Alexander, under the pressure of all Russians, had to implement huge reforms. What other evidence is required?

No doubt Russian state was backward compare to the contemporary England and France.  However, the truth is that the war, could very well end in the defeat of the whole allied expedition, if the Austrian position was friendly to Russia. Or at least Russia would be able to obtain the critical support of Prussia.

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 11:00

Dear Sarmat,

Lol I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here before everyone gets bored of us repeating ourselves :P

It was clear that Russia was not able to sustain a demanding and heavy war effort long before Austrian belligerence, that the state was not equipped to supply and reinforce its armies, that its infrastructure and communications were some of the worst in Europe and that her military techniques and equipment meant that she failed on every front - indeed she could not defeat the Turks on the Danube front. Allied supremacy at sea meant that Russia had to exhaustively defend every exposed frontier and the blockade saw her trade - which she depended heavily on for imports of military stores especially - drop to almost nothing. But yes - when Sebastopol fell and the Austrians started making noises, Russia sued for peace. It must be seen as an equal factor in the causes of defeat. As historians we must not base historical arguments on the "what-if's" of history. Rather, we must base them on what happened so as to draw historical conclusions.

With or without Austrian help, the Russian state would be bankrupt if it held out beyond 1855. Not many bankrupt states can wage a war.

I've very much enjoyed this debate. It's nice to see a lively one every now and then.

Cheers!

-------------
    Kind regards,

HaloChanter

Date Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 21:25

Dear Sarmat,

Lol I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here before everyone gets bored of us repeating ourselves :P

It was clear that Russia was not able to sustain a demanding and heavy war effort long before Austrian belligerence, that the state was not equipped to supply and reinforce its armies, that its infrastructure and communications were some of the worst in Europe and that her military techniques and equipment meant that she failed on every front - indeed she could not defeat the Turks on the Danube front. Allied supremacy at sea meant that Russia had to exhaustively defend every exposed frontier and the blockade saw her trade - which she depended heavily on for imports of military stores especially - drop to almost nothing. But yes - when Sebastopol fell and the Austrians started making noises, Russia sued for peace. It must be seen as an equal factor in the causes of defeat. As historians we must not base historical arguments on the "what-if's" of history. Rather, we must base them on what happened so as to draw historical conclusions.

With or without Austrian help, the Russian state would be bankrupt if it held out beyond 1855. Not many bankrupt states can wage a war.

I've very much enjoyed this debate. It's nice to see a lively one every now and then.

Cheers!

No, Dear HaloChanter,

Unfortunately, it really looks like you simply ignore my previous posts.

"You say that Russia failed on every front." I know very well that Russia repelled all the attacks of the Allies except in Crimea. Moreover on the Pacific the Allies suffered one of the most humiliating defeats ever, by surpassing Russian forces 3 to one they failed to take a small Russian fort despite all the supremacy.

They suffered enormous casualties in Crimea, I want to stress again that their casualties, according to some source, surpassed the Russian casualties and they even were unable to take the complete conrol over the small Crimean pennisula.

The fighting on Danube front, was over once Austria demanded Russia to withdraw and it had to compell with this demand. This demand followed only after the very likehood of the Russian victory in this theater had become obvious.

In Minor Asia Russians defeated the Turks (which were under British command BTW) and captured fortress Kars. Actually Russian land gains during the war far exceeded the land which the Allies controlled in Crimea

Can you at least provide you comment on the points I summarized above?

Now about the equipment. Russian field army basically had the same equipment as the Allied army, except English forces which were indeed armed with rifles, however English formed only a minority of the Allied army. The fleet of Allies also was superior, however there were no serious naval battled during this war, except the battle of Sinop in the very beginning when the Turkish fleet was decimated.

All the parties were exhausted. And only the Austrian ultimatum brought the end to the war, this is also the fact. Austria didn't just "make a noise" its ultimatum to Russia was completely incorporated in the peace agreement. At the same time initial British plans saw the complete failure.

Moreover, this was was won by French. And French got tired, they lost too many men and the taking of Sevastopol for them was enough to repay the "disgrace of 1812," although the war was still very to the "complete victory" Napoleon III clearly didn't want to continue the war. After France showed its stance, Britain could do nothing. British forces were not enough to continue fighting with the Russian empire and Britain also had to agree to the terms of the Austrian ultimatum.

I do not deny that the Russian state was backward compare to the Western European countries at that time.

However, your assesment about the "swift allied victory" and complete ignorance of the role of Austria in the conflict IMO is totally incorrect.

Thank you.

BTW where the weird pronouncation SeBastopol comes from. The name of the city is Sevastopol and I never encountered foreign sources calling it the other way. Sorry, it's not directly related to the topic, but I'm just curious.

Thank you.

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 08:44
    Unfortunately, it really looks like you simply ignore my previous posts.

- *bangs head against wall* No mate, I'm saying I agree with you, like eight times, but that you must consider Russia's diplomatic isolation in the context of the many other factors of internal weakness. Austria's belligerence was just one if many contributary factors. Infact, it serves to stress my very point. Russia's isolation beared no weight with policy-makers in St Petersburg, they fought the war in the absolute knowledge that they would be fighting alone against a coalition. So it very much seems that the hostility of neighbours did not bear much weight with the Tsar. Perhaps we should look at Austria's ultimatum as the excuse for Russia's shattered war effort to be concluded not in shameful defeat and collapse, but in honourable acknowledgement of its hopeless situation?
    Indeed, the Austria problem provided a good "get out of jail free" card for the Russian Empire.

All the parties were exhausted.

- No, infact, they were not. Britain was the world's superpower. As Russia, and to a lesser extent France, groaned and scratched to keep themselves in the war, Britain was slowly gearing up (it was her 'Imperial Way', she never took anything seriously until she met with an unmitigated disaster, and then the entire Imperial Machine rolled in to existence and success was almost a foregone conclusion). In 1852 France was spending 17.2m on war expenditure, Russia 15.6m and Britain 10.1m. But by the end of 1854 when France was becoming a spent force and the Russian Crimean Army had suffered several shattering defeats (by the beginning of 1855 it was virtually a non-entity) Britain was spending a collossal 76.3m on its war expenditure, sending massive supplies, reinforcements, embarking on a massive ship-building programme of small gunboats that could penetrate the Russian enterior, hundreds of thousands of more armaments, and raising a force that far outnumbered the French army. In comparison Russia at it's greatest extent could muster up 31.3m, which constituted heavy borrowing on the Amsterdam and Berlin markets - which, as we know, would soon refuse Russia any more, and forced the Tsar to print paper money to sustain the war effort, which in turn forced inflation to sky rocket and put the economy and credit in the doldrums throughout the next half dozen years. France was similarly capped at 43.8m expenditure.

Just when the combatants were talking of peace, Britain (or shall we be more specific and say Palmerston?) was talking of breaking up the Russian Empire. A good example is your own example about the Pacific theatre. The Russians were able to repel an allied force supplied by sea on the East Coast (you'll be surprised how effective even a paper fort would be for the defenders entrenched and supplied, against invaders thousands of miles from supply bases in conditions and weather that, by itself, was lethal enough), but the Allies only returned with more ships and a greater force not long after, forcing the Russian army to withdraw under cover of snow.

"You say that Russia failed on every front." I know very well that Russia repelled all the attacks of the Allies except in Crimea.

- But that is not a success. Russia failed in its objectives. It occupied the principalities and launched offensives on the Danube to a) push through to Constantinople, and b) to force the Ottomans to capitulate. Instead, the Russian war effort was bloodied to a standstill, even before the French or British had landed their armies!

In Minor Asia Russians defeated the Turks (which were under British command BTW) and captured fortress Kars. Actually Russian land gains during the war far exceeded the land which the Allies controlled in Crimea

- Indeed, the only front that Russia could be said to have succeeded on was the Caucasus front, having won almost thier only field-victory in the war at Kuruk-deri and broken through to Kars. But Kars was very much Russia's Sebastopol. The Russians had almost 50,000 compared to Turkey's 20,000 commanded by a handful of British officers (literally about 5). Every attack was repulsed, almost as bloody as anything at Sebastopol. Indeed in one offensive on 29th September, 1855, the Russians were repulsed with the loss of 7,000 men, with the same amount wounded, massive casualties. From 1st June to 25th November Kars held out for half a year, the Russians unable to take it and finally only gaining possession when starvation and disease forced the garrison to negotiate. By this time, however, Sebastopol had fallen and peace talks were under way. Offensives on the Caucasus front were too slow, and held up by Kars for too long, to effect the overall Russian war effort.

The fleet of Allies also was superior, however there were no serious naval battled during this war, except the battle of Sinop in the very beginning when the Turkish fleet was decimated.

- Naval power was the Allies most effective weapon in the war, to underestimate its effects is to fail to understand the entire strategic element to the conflict. Allied naval supremacy forced Russia to sink the same fleet that had crippled the Turkish navy at Sinope; to keep large numbers pinned down across the expanse of the empire; enabled an effective blockade, crippling Russian trade thereby forcing the Tsar to borrow on European markets; exhausted the domestic economy; denied Russia access to resupply and restock armaments; and ultimately ruined any hopes of Russia establishing a long-sought for naval presence, anywhere. 

Moreover, this was was won by French. And French got tired, they lost too many men and the taking of Sevastopol for them was enough to repay the "disgrace of 1812," although the war was still very to the "complete victory" Napoleon III clearly didn't want to continue the war. After France showed its stance, Britain could do nothing. British forces were not enough to continue fighting with the Russian empire and Britain also had to agree to the terms of the Austrian ultimatum.

- Napoleon was always the belligerent force on the Allied Side, once he achieved French goals he would have gone so far as abandon the Alliance to make a seperate peace. Remember, France was becoming as exhausted as Russia (though not dangerously so, Russia being on the point of financial collapse and state bankruptcy) and French influence on Turkey was far greater than Britain's. Once Napoleon had decided on peace, Britain didn't have much choice. But as I have shown, it was more than capable of carrying on the fight. And I never wish to speculate in history and play the "what-if" card, but had Britain chosen to, Russia could not have survived another year, being on the verge of breakdown (by 1856 Russia had less than a quarter of the armaments it started the war with. Russia did not have the industry to create its own military supplies, and with the British blockade its capacity to wage war would not have been sustainable).

BTW where the weird pronouncation SeBastopol comes from. The name of the city is Sevastopol and I never encountered foreign sources calling it the other way. Sorry, it's not directly related to the topic, but I'm just curious.

- By all means! It's an often-used Anglicized version of the city name. Many histories in English use the version. I'm aware of the Russian name, but as I'm not Russian... Embarrassed

Thanks!

-------------
    Kind regards,

HaloChanter

Date Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 17:37

Again, you tend to focus on your initial assesment. Although, you already recognized that Russians didn't fail "on every front."

If you simply look at the chronology of the war, you'll see that Russian offense in Bulgaria was stopped only due to the Austrian intervention. Moreover, initial Allied operation in Balkans also failed, due to the disease, but nevertheless it was a failure.

You ignored again the allied defeat at Petrapavlovsk-Kamchatskiy.

Britain, wasn't capable at all to have the war on its own. Otherwise, it would continue the war, because no one of the Lord Palmerston's initial goals was achieved. Instead Brittain had to satisfy itself with quite moderate terms of the Austrian ultimatum.

In any case, one can clearly see from the described above that the Allied victory was anything but "swift."

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 22:55

Again, you tend to focus on your initial assesment. Although, you already recognized that Russians didn't fail "on every front.'

- Well, it succeeded in the Caucasus, but it didn't succeed in its aims. Again, you're confusing strategic aims with limited advantage. Russia did not succeed in the war, she was fought to a stalemate on the Danube and her victory was delayed in Asia Minor and came too late to contribute anything to a success. Kars was almost as embarassing for the Russians as Sebastopol was for the Allies.

Britain, wasn't capable at all to have the war on its own. Otherwise, it would continue the war, because no one of the Lord Palmerston's initial goals was achieved. Instead Brittain had to satisfy itself with quite moderate terms of the Austrian ultimatum.

- I've given you sources for Britain's capability. Britain had strangled Russian trade and supply, quadrupled her military spending and as the war was ending began a massive army recruitment and ship building programme. Russia could not have sustained another 6 months of war. Bankrupts states cannot fight on, and as the Tsar was warned in 1855, the 800m ruble debt was going to, unless the Tsar sued for peace, cause a Russian collapse.

Remember, Palmerston wasn't in office at the beginning of the war, he did not decide Britain's initial goals. Infact, a number of British goals were achieved. The removal of the Russian threat in the Black Sea, the Dardanelles and ultimately the Mediterranean was arguably Britain's main war-aim.

To not recognize that Russia was thrashed by far superior fiscal-military states that she could not hope to compete with is to ignore the sources. To put it in perspective, it would be like Russian armies destroying Portsmouth - an unmitigated blow. Indeed, Part 2 of the article is almost ready to be posted. I hope it will show what defeat meant for Russia, and how she attempted to cope with it.

But yes, Britain did choose instead to accept French and Turkish pressure to accept the Austrian ultimatum. Britain was the leading world power at mid-century, and perhaps the leader of the Concert of Europe. The Ottoman Empire had been saved and Russian naval power crushed - fighting on would have served no purpose.

I've very much enjoyed this debate Clap

-------------
    Kind regards,

HaloChanter

Date Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 03:17

No, unfortunatelly, I can't agree with your conclusions.

Strategically speaking, the capture of Sevastopol can't be compared to the possible capture of of Portsmouth.

Most of the Russian trade was via Baltic sea, and the ports there were far more strategically important than Sevastopol. Moreover, Russian Black Sea fleet in fact was totally dependent on the position of Turkey. The blocking of Bosporus would iliminate any possible threat to the Mediterranean.

This kind of comparasent is totally unvalid IMO.

I also can't agree with your assesment of the British power. Yes Brittain was the master of the seas. But in order to crush Russia it had to have a massive army in the region, which it lacked, so she was totally dependent on the French position. The contribution of Franch was decisive for the outcome of the war.

At least I'm happy that you finally agreed that Sevastopol was an embarassement for the allies. Smile

However, I didn't get your feedback on Petropavlovsk-kamchatskiy.

In any case, debating this topic with you is interesting.

Thanks a lot for your contribution and opinion. Smile

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 04:23
    Its been enjoyable to watch the two of you debate; looking forward to part 2 HaloChanter!Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 11:30
    Thank you Justinian. Just got Part 2 up now.

http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=Part_2_Russia_in_the_Post-Napoleonic_World - http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=Part_2_Russia_in_the_Post-Napoleonic_World

It's the concluding part of what I believe to be Imperial Russia's two most important events in the post-Napoleonic World - defeat in the Crimean War, and the renunciation of its peace treaty in 1871. One saw Russia at its lowest ebb, the other at its zenith.

Thanks again!

-------------
    Kind regards,

HaloChanter

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 03:05
    Just read part 2, most enjoyable.  I don't know if I agree with some of your concluding comments regarding germany, but still very informative. 

Just one thing; wasn't Napoleon III the nephew of Napoleon I, not his grandson?

I have learned a good deal from those two articles, thank you.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 08:54
    Quite right - he was! Thank you very much for the input.

May I ask what points on Germany you did not agree with?

Many thanks!

-------------
    Kind regards,

HaloChanter

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 18:59
    I can add that Russia didn't really allie herself with France.

It was rather a pragmatic stance and Russia tried to benefit whenevet it could from France, but never considered herself to be in allience with France (that was mainly Crimean war effect).

The relations with Prussia were much more cordial. BTW Bismark, was an expert on Russia he lived there many years and was fluent in Russian language. The Prussian victory in Franco-Prussian war was widely celebrated in Sankt-Petersburg.

Many Russian historians still blame Gorchakov for suspicions of the growing Prussian power. The say that from the pragmatic point of view, Russia should have allowed Prussia to complitely destroy France, rather ther supported the latter.

-------------
    Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 01:19

Quite right - he was! Thank you very much for the input.

May I ask what points on Germany you did not agree with?

Many thanks!
    Certainly, it wasn't really the facts you mentioned just the phrasing.  The creation of germany creating a new destructive, dangerous military power, more militarized than france.  The impression I got is it would have been better not to have allowed prussia to unite germany but keep it permanently divided.  I do admit though, that prussia and germany is rather a touchy subject for me. 

I was glad you discussed the forming of the alliances and opinions in the late 19th century that would lead to WWI, it helped me understand that much better, many thanks.Clap

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com