Print Page | Close Window

Why did Rome collapse?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2109
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 01:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Why did Rome collapse?
Posted By: Winterhaze13
Subject: Why did Rome collapse?
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 15:15
In this forum I would very much want to discuss the topic that Historians have been debating over for years, The Fall of Rome? It is without a doubt the most debatiable subject in history.

-------------
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

Replies:
Posted By: Mangudai
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 15:45
Many reasons are innvolved, but according to my history professor it was due to the fact that the romans lost their dynamic - they stopped to adapt to new situations and crumbled apart in civil wars. But not to forget - Rome didn't fell in 476 - but in 1453!

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 16:24
Well when discussing "The Fall of Rome", the Latin empire
is the subject and not the Greek one.

It seems that Rome started its collapse from the inside.
Not from simple invasions.

-------------

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 16:50
Civil wars! And the fact that they couldn't decide who should be emperor.

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: Benceno
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 18:35
I think perhaps the empire was over extended, and they couldn't keep up with the expense involved in defending it.
On the other hand, there is the problem of civil wars which has already been mentioned; beign at the height of power is not free of charge. The theory of lack of dynamic is also interesting, but in the end we will probably agree that there was not a single cause, but rather quite a few.

My own theory is that right now we are at the same stage that rome was in the fifth century (the USA playing the role of Rome). Think about it, people going to live to the suburbs (instead of villas). There is lack of faith in the government from both inside and outside. Many people insist (whether they are right or not) that there is a moral downfall, something similar happened in Rome if I remember correctly. Many coincidences, if you come up with more post them so that we can be sure.

-------------
Hola.

Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 19:58
Civil wars and divisions within the Empire were the most tangible causes. But all of that was a consequence of time, as I said in another thread. Time ended Rome as everything in this world. Nothing is eternal.

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Posted By: Laelius
Date Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 11:37

The Moral decline of the Roman Empire is BS propagated by amateur historians of the 19th century.  Morality in the empire swung like a pendulum, if anything it was more pious towards end than it was during the whorish times of Caesar.

Many reasons are innvolved, but according to my history professor it was due to the fact that the romans lost their dynamic

Such is the result of Conservatism, they sacrificed their adaptability for the maintainance the Status Quo. 

I think perhaps the empire was over extended, and they couldn't keep up with the expense involved in defending it.

I disagree here to, you see Rome became dependent upon expansion.  Its Economy needed slaves fresh from conquest and its army needed booty and plunder to motivate Roman citizens to join.  In effect the fate of Rome was tied to its ever widening borders.

Posted By: Benceno
Date Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 20:38
Originally posted by Laelius

I disagree here to, you see Rome became dependent upon expansion.  Its Economy needed slaves fresh from conquest and its army needed booty and plunder to motivate Roman citizens to join.  In effect the fate of Rome was tied to its ever widening borders.

I agree that Rome was sometimes heavily dependant on conquest and expansion, but what I meant that a few centuries before colapsing, it had reached the maximum possible extension, since they really had not any more targets that could be easily settled and conquered. Therefore, they were on the defensive (as far as I know Rome reached it's maximum size around 115AD with Trajan).
So, withouth big booties anymore, the army become more expensive to mantain. At the same time, they had to face serious threats on many of their frontiers.
That was my point.

-------------
Hola.

Posted By: Imperatore Dario I
Date Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 05:43
There are way too many factors to the collapse of the Roman Empire, you can't only base it on one.

-------------

“Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.”- Virgil's Aeneid

Posted By: Bosnjo
Date Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 07:37

Christianity destroyed the Latin-Roman Empire. The Roman religion was an religion of strength and hedonism, the christianity was the counterpart, christianity is a religion of humanity and askesis. The import and adoption of an completly different religion destroyed the order of the society. And the Economy, christ forbid Kredtis...

And the christianity is directly related with the immigration of Barbarians, because the Barbarians (Gemanians, Slavians) was also missioned and got christs, so the romans could not forbid their religion brothers to come in their empire. One day (4-5 century)  romans allowed the Gots to cross the border even thoug they were armed, and that was the  the End.

And I believe that the New Rome, will be finaly destroyed by over immigration of people which they are not able to integrate.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 15:22

Yes Christianity did play a part in the decline but the imperial decline began even before the death of Jesus.

The Empire was built on the dynamism of the Republic. The urge of the warrior aristocracy for military glory which translated into political success was essential in the forging of the empire. The citizenry of Rome had a vested interest in Roman success and this led to Rome's characteristic resilience. But with the death of the republic and resulting autocracy glory didn't have the same value. The final conquest  (britannia etc) were just echoes of the lost republican way of life.

With no need for glory the Emperors were content to sit back satisfied with what they had. The Roman economy was built on conquest and the influx of fresh slaves without this the economy stagnated.

Without the urge for glory Rome's famed resiliancy died and defeats which would once have been seen as minor set-backs could end whole campaigns ie. Teutoberg Forest. The refusal to overcome set backs allowed dangerous enemies to remain outside the empire ie. the Germans.

With the expansion over the army was on the defensive and when not under attack (or even in the heat of an invasion) dabbled in politics.

Thus the decline of the empire began when the competative nature of the republic reached its natural conclusion.

-------------

Posted By: Qnzkid711
Date Posted: 23-Feb-2005 at 21:00
Originally posted by Vercingetorix

Yes Christianity did play a part in the decline but the imperial decline began even before the death of Jesus.

The Empire was built on the dynamism of the Republic. The urge of the warrior aristocracy for military glory which translated into political success was essential in the forging of the empire. The citizenry of Rome had a vested interest in Roman success and this led to Rome's characteristic resilience. But with the death of the republic and resulting autocracy glory didn't have the same value. The final conquest  (britannia etc) were just echoes of the lost republican way of life.

With no need for glory the Emperors were content to sit back satisfied with what they had. The Roman economy was built on conquest and the influx of fresh slaves without this the economy stagnated.

Without the urge for glory Rome's famed resiliancy died and defeats which would once have been seen as minor set-backs could end whole campaigns ie. Teutoberg Forest. The refusal to overcome set backs allowed dangerous enemies to remain outside the empire ie. the Germans.

With the expansion over the army was on the defensive and when not under attack (or even in the heat of an invasion) dabbled in politics.

Thus the decline of the empire began when the competative nature of the republic reached its natural conclusion.

Yup. Whch in turn led to the extremely high amount of militia being paid by the currency which led to debasement of its currency which then led to the incredibly high amount of inflation.

There was no way around it. Expantion would have ended eventually, Emperor or no Emperor.

-------------
"Europe and Asia are finally mine. Woe to Chritendom. She has lost her sword and shield."
Ottoman Sultan after hearing of the death of Skenderbeg.

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 12:25
Christianity actually retarded Rome's end. The seeds of decadence were already sown during Hadrian's time. As usual, it's during the 'Golden age' of an empire, that that empire begins to end.

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: Teup
Date Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 13:03
I voted for the civil wars option, allthough I think that's kind of feeble since that is part of the event of the fall, not cause to. I think it would be more interesting to look at what caused that, in the first place..

-------------
Whatever you do, don't

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 23:14
What caused the Civil War in Rome?

It was caused by armies favouring their generals and promoting them emperor. Near the end it was the Guards who picked the Emperors.....and killed em. Different guys got the respect of the military and chose to march in to take it. Leaving their frontier open to attack and barbarians started pouring in. So dumb....  

-------------
"Europe and Asia are finally mine. Woe to Chritendom. She has lost her sword and shield."

Posted By: Aristoteles
Date Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 07:40

Economical disability, social ineptability, difficulties with adjusting to the new era, Christianity, civil strife... all of that and many more.

I consider it quite impressive that Rome in it's deathbead (practically) gave birth to a "new Rome" that lasted for another thousand years.

Magnificent, actually!

-------------
Trying to educate the ignorant, leads only to frustration

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 12:06
Bah, Ill be long dead before I consider Constantinople part of the Roman Empire. Its funny though that Rome out lived its child.      

-------------

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 13:12

Others:

Socioeconomical and Ideologic problems = Financial problems = Military decline = German invansions and Divisions and Civil wars

Besides all mixed

Posted By: hugoestr
Date Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 15:53
Originally posted by Laelius

The Moral decline of the Roman Empire is BS propagated by amateur historians of the 19th century.

This is not entirely true. The Romans, throughout their history, were constantly crying that their generation had lost the virtue of their fathers. This idea of constant moral decline is so entrenched in the Roman/Italian mind, that even today, in American Mafia movies mobsters sulk over the lost of principals and morals of the mob.

You may disagree with the statement that the Romans were in moral decline when the empire at the end, but the idea is not from the 19th century.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 10:19

How can one in the 21st century actually still believe that abstract things such as "morality" can make an empire fall? If so, why didn't Rome collapse then during the reign of emperors like Caligula, Nero, Commodus, Heliogabalus or other sick individuals?  

If it was due to Christianity, why then did the Christian Eastern Empire survive another 1000 years?

According to my litterature and my teacher, the reason the western Roman empire disappeared was because that the emperors invited foreign "barbarian" armies (such as the goths) as foederati within the empire's borders to defend these from other "barbarians". When these people took care of the defence, the legions were withdrawn from the west and sent to the eastern front against Persia. When the "barbarians" in the absence of the emperor's military authority proclaimed themselves independent and rejected the rule in Ravenna, the western Roman empire seized to exist. But it was not inevitable as many people think, but if the emperors had adapted to the new situation the empire might have still existed to this day 

Posted By: Cornellia
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 11:01

Originally posted by Qnzkid711

It was caused by armies favouring their generals and promoting them emperor. Near the end it was the Guards who picked the Emperors.....and killed em. Different guys got the respect of the military and chose to march in to take it. Leaving their frontier open to attack and barbarians started pouring in. So dumb....  

There is a problem with this theory.   The part of about the army had been true since the days of Marius' reforms..............and Claudius - Rome's 4th emperor - was chosen by the Praetorian Guard.  So instead of it being a cause for the end, it was more like a time honored tradition.

-------------
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 11:03
It is true to say religion and morality cannot destroy an empire.

Rome began its declined when it became on the defensive rather than offensive. Weak emperors(except for those few who kept would revive the empire and secure it for another couple of weak emperors),weakening currency,decline in militarism among the populace and drop in nationalism in the people, an army made up of barbaians who were not as disciplined as past Roman armies, stronger and smarter barbarians(Huns,Goths,Valens),decline in power of the legion and so many more. All these played their own part. The Goths and Valens got wind of the weakening Empire after the devastating Roman defeat at Andrianople. These barbarians were not the Germanic ones Rome was used to. Well equiped, had good knowledge of combat techniques, did not run into battle screaming naked with a nailed club, they proved this at Andrianople. After the fall of the legion at Andrianople it was just a matter of time before Rome met its end. That battle could be considered the end of antiquity, from then of power would to go heavy cavalry rather than heavy infantry, a loss the Empire would not recover from.  

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 11:09
Originally posted by Cornellia

Originally posted by Qnzkid711

There is a problem with this theory.   The part of about the army had been true since the days of Marius' reforms..............and Claudius - Rome's 4th emperor - was chosen by the Praetorian Guard.  So instead of it being a cause for the end, it was more like a time honored tradition.

But think how many times this was done in the past? During Ceasar's time much of its borders had been secured then. Aftr the end of that Civil war rome was still a military powerhouse.

Exactly, Roman Emperors were picked by the Guards. The guards did not see combat, they were not out in the frontier. They were simply in back of the emperor. Its true that it did become a tradition for the Gard to kill an emperor put a different one up and kill that two, three or four years later when they got tired of him and wanted some more extra gold. But it was this that would bring these "soldier-Emperors" who used the treasury as they pleased, did not have any administrative skills. By the time generals began crossing into Rome again, it had been a while since Ceasar and the borders of Rome now hwere much bigger and now needed much more security.   

-------------

Posted By: Idanthyrus
Date Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 21:47

There were dozens of factors complcit in Rome's fall.

But, like many empires that came before and those who would come later, the luxury, corruption and decadence brought on by her wealth and success bred weakness in the Roman empire, as did various ongoing power struggles and political intrigues. Eventually the 'barbarian' peoples on Rome's borders who due to the harsh realities of frontier life and tribal warfare were strong and martial and dynamic began to sense, and to pray on Rome's weakness. Rome was too stagnant to resist them. My oppinion is that when any govenment becomes as Rome was in its later stages, it doesn't deserves to survive

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 01:16
Morality is a valid reason. Not morality as in religious piety, but the sense of being an empire (ie. dicipline).

With that said, I think the Primary reason was the decline in the efficiency of the administration's ability to run the Empire and control local magistrates. When Augustus was emperor, he held power "by giving away power." He was simply the first of the senate. The later emperors, however, considered themselves to be gods and boasted a huge ego in public. The respect that was given to Augustus was rarely revived. In the Augustan age, all of his armies were loyal to him and dedicated to securing the empire. Later, when the Praetorian guard didn't like the emperor, they simply killed him and named another emperor at their own choice. At another instance, the Praetorian simply gave the emperor position to whoever paid them the most. The Republic was relatively peaceful compared to the late empire. The late republic only had a handful of civil wars, while during the empire, half of successions after Trajan were by brute force. 238 was the year of "Six Emperors" in which the Augustus was murdered, killed and dethroned in rapid succession. I think the lack of internal competance can be attributed to these main causes:

1. The rise of the "God-Emperor" rather than the "Good Emperor"
2. Corruption of officies, such as the Praetorian Prefect.
3. The dependency upon the army to hold power.
4. Lack of competent emperors
5. Lack of true confidence and veneration towards the emperor.
6. Arrogance of the Romans.

The immediate cause of the collapse were probably the barbarian invaisons.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 05:10
Yet the Caesareopapist ideology of a devine emperor survived and prospered in the eastern empire for another 1000 years... Also, the idea of a devine emperor was officially introduced during the dominate under Diocletian, and that was after the "soldier emperors" who were picked by legionaries

Date Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 13:53
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Morality is a valid reason. Not morality as in religious piety, but the sense of being an empire (ie. dicipline).

With that said, I think the Primary reason was the decline in the
efficiency of the administration's ability to run the Empire and
control local magistrates. When Augustus was emperor, he held power "by
giving away power." He was simply the first of the senate. The later
emperors, however, considered themselves to be gods and boasted a huge
ego in public. The respect that was given to Augustus was rarely
revived. In the Augustan age, all of his armies were loyal to him and
dedicated to securing the empire. Later, when the Praetorian guard
didn't like the emperor, they simply killed him and named another
emperor at their own choice. At another instance, the Praetorian simply
gave the emperor position to whoever paid them the most. The Republic
was relatively peaceful compared to the late empire. The late republic
only had a handful of civil wars, while during the empire, half of
successions after Trajan were by brute force. 238 was the year of "Six
Emperors" in which the Augustus was murdered, killed and dethroned in
rapid succession. I think the lack of internal competance can be
attributed to these main causes:

1. The rise of the "God-Emperor" rather than the "Good Emperor"
2. Corruption of officies, such as the Praetorian Prefect.
3. The dependency upon the army to hold power.
4. Lack of competent emperors
5. Lack of true confidence and veneration towards the emperor.
6. Arrogance of the Romans.

The immediate cause of the collapse were probably the barbarian invaisons.

Your Augustus is very different from my Augustus

Augustus was the monarch of the empire. The only person with an equal amount of prestige and power was Marc Antony, and... well, we all know that happened to him. Previously, he had already killed this other enemies. The Roman citizens put up with him as a monarch in exchange for peace--the Republic was not peaceful. The temple of Janus was supposed to be closed during times of peace, and open during times of war. The temple of Janus closed three times during his reign. Before that, they had only been closed twice.

Kings were hated so much, that Augustus kept giving lip service to all of the Republican institutions, even if this was just a farce. We still see this kind of behavior today. Dictators will run elections and have a congress to give the appearance of legitimacy.

Augustus was an effective emperor, maybe the best, but not morally good. I doubt that there was supposed to be a principal of a “good” emperor since there was not suppose to be an emperor at all.

For those who want to read once again Augustus' exploits,
you can read http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Suetonius/12Caesars/Augustus*.html - Suetonius ' Life of Augustus

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 19:31
It depends on your definitions, but it is undeniable that Augustus was revered by the senate and his "magistrates" more so than many of the emperors that followed. The senate formally gave Augustus his title along with his formal powers. Later on, the senate would have no choice but to agree with the Emperor appointed by the Praetorian or the army.

Yet the Caesareopapist ideology of a devine emperor survived and prospered in the eastern empire for another 1000 years... Also, the idea of a devine emperor was officially introduced during the dominate under Diocletian, and that was after the "soldier emperors" who were picked by legionaries

Yes, it did exist even during Augustus' time (he banned it). What I meant was not if they considered the emperor divine, but the ego and arrogance the emperor derived from this status.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 09:06
I am sure that some senators actually liked Augustus. At the same time, I bet there were plenty that feared him. He did >>kill<< all of his enemies off.

I may remind you that dictators getting formal powers and titles is very common. The Chilean dictator Pinochet was first life-time president and life-time senator, making criminal prosecution against him imposible under Chilean laws.

My point is that Augustus was a monarch, a dictator in today's language. The Romans were grateful that he pacified the country, but in exchanged they gave it the Republic.

-------------

Posted By: Roughneck
Date Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 00:36
Books have been written about this for centuries, and the only real difference between them is the proportion of responsability assigned to each cause.  The civil wars are what I voted for, but they all work.  Edward Gibbon asked it best.  We shouldn't ask what made Rome fall, but how did it last so long, given all it's problems.

-------------
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">

Posted By: Jazz
Date Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 18:17
Originally posted by Mangudai

. ..If it was due to Christianity, why then did the Christian Eastern Empire survive another 1000 years?
I'm surprised that it took almost to the 2nd page for someone to point this out....

My personal rant here, but the it should be termed from the beginning the "Fall of Western Rome", and not simply the "Fall of Rome".  The later totally disregards the continued evolution of Imperial rule in the East (mind you, that was the attempt by Gibbon et al who didn't think the Roman Empire of Constantinople deserved the title "Roman"...)

Anyways, back on topic:  Given the options listed above, I voted for "Division of the Empire" - not so much from the civil war point of view, but the fact that the Eastern Empire was stronger economically, and had more than 50% of the population made it much more stable, and the loss of these resources (plus the demographics) to the West (or the empire as a whole before the division) doomed the Western half.  That combined with the fact that the East's border with the Germans only constitued the Danube frontier up to Pannonia - whereas the West had the entire Rhine and the upper Danube to contend with.

-------------
http://www.forums.internationalhockey.net/index.php?/index.php?referrerid=8 - International Hockey Forums

Posted By: Menippos
Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 08:46
As it has been observed, history does make circles and tends to repeat itself.
As with many empires, the Roman empire fell due to many reasons, of which, in my oppinion the main are:
Over-exertion of the armies - how long can soldiers fight?
Over-exertion of the people - how long can citizens support war?
Change of morals within the empire - new ideas and religions did not condone war.
Decadence of leaders and governors - they were more interested in their parties and entertainment than anything else.
Internal unrest - populations were disillusioned and refused to either pay their dues or obey their local Roman-appointed governors.
...and finally, gravity: what goes up will eventually come down.

-------------
CARRY NOTHING

Posted By: Winterhaze13
Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 17:31

Mod Edit (Lannes):  Again, don't flood.

-------------
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

Posted By: J.Caesar
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 22:27
Western: perhaps plaque and Malaria. Perhaps. 

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 05:14
It felt for lost of Roman centrality: the Roman empire became just the Empire and Rome (Italy) lost its position in it. This actually unbalanced the empire in favor of a neo-Hellenistic East that amputated it's western half like if it was a rotten limb.

While this was a disaster for Italy, it was in fact benefic long-term for the western countries of Romania, that otherwise would have never been able to develope a culture of their own: based in cultural Romanity but detached from the political aspect of the Empire (tough it would try to be resucited for centuries).

"The West" actually was born of the sinking of the Western Roman Empire. It had never existed before - at least since Megalithic times.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: RomiosArktos
Date Posted: 07-Apr-2006 at 16:57
Why did the western Roman empire collapse?
I would say because the old roman values of the republic have seized to exist,people had become immoral and cynic,there was no patriotism and the people didn't care for the well-being of the state but  only for their own well-being.The absolutism of the emperors especially after Severus destoyed the society and transformed the military into wolves and the civillians to sheeps.There was political anarchy due to the fact that the military had gained too much power.Rome could not afford to pay the great numbers of the professional soldiers despite the heavy taxation possibly because of the corruption.

Date Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 06:22
One problem of Rome was that local administration was naturally corrupt. As the posts were given to aristocrats who were expected to pay the expenses from their pocket, they were also expected therefore to steal from taxation in order not to make such office a costly task.

There was no truly public administration beyond the central Empire, army included, and the city of Rome. Rome was corrupt by birth.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: edgewaters
Date Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 07:27
Originally posted by Maju

"The West" actually was born of the sinking of the Western Roman Empire. It had never existed before - at least since Megalithic times.

I have to respectfully disagree. If you're going to say that the megalithic culture was a civilization, then there has been civilization in the West continuously since then, since settlement sizes actually increased since then. The Gauls, the Britons, and the Celts of central Europe and Spain surpassed the earlier megalithic civilization. We have been deceived by the prejudices of the Greeks and Romans, who were understandably bitter at the humiliations they suffered in the 4th and 3rd centuries BC. They had never tasted such bitter defeats, and never forgot them. They built a myth of primitive savagery around them, initially as a way of dealing with the atrocities and later to legitimize their conquests. The "barbarian" myth conceals the fact that although they were politically primitive, there was economic and technological sophistication in Western Europe before the Romans - a culture with extensive trade routes, which gave birth to the iron age in Europe and gave us a wide range of inventions still used today: scissors, belt buckles, keys, soap, horseshoes, chainmail, pants, horse bits. They may not have been the first to invent all of these things, I suspect they appeared in the Far East earlier, but use of them in the West traces back to Hallstatt, La Tene, and related cultural phenomena. Much of the Greco-Roman material culture is borrowed from this culture, and passed to us. Nor is their influence limited to technology; we still celebrate Halloween and May 1st. The collapse of the Roman Empire was just a change; just as its appearance was.

If you discount Roman civilization as Western, then the Empire was actually just a brief eclipse of the West, for most of Western Europe lasting about from the Gallic Wars until the 5th century. I don't subscribe to this; wherever the Romans came from, they were certainly quite Western by the time they conquer France, Spain, and Britain.

I just don't see how one can say that the megalithic period was Western civilization when we can't trace much cultural legacy back to it (except for local-specific cultures, like the Basques or Irish), but Hallstatt and La Tene phases were not, despite known legacies, technological contributions, larger settlements, more developed trade networks, and a period of aggressive conquests which hit Turkey, Spain, Italy, Macedonia, and Greece.

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 09:52
Increasing effectiveness and political organisation of external opponents.

Increasing cost of supporting Roman military, coupled with its loss of technological superiority over opponents and inability (in the West) to adapt to new forms of warfare.

(West) Roman inability to organise sufficient defence at the local level.

(West) Roman inability to exploit agricultural production as efficiently as was necessary to support the costs of her military and urban civilisation.

Lack of innovation and advancement in technology stemming from monolithic uncompetitive position.

Inability to develop a system of social and political organisation which protected the interests of the most disadvantaged members of society, resulting in alienation and disenchantment.

The establishment of the economy as a slave-powered machine, which broke down when slaves were largely emancipated. Failure to replace the slave economy with another self sufficient model.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 12:47
Edge: it's quite a bit off topic so I won't extend myself. Just notice that I said "at least" and "before".

It may be just my opinion but I think that the Megalithic period, more precisely between 2600 and 1300) can be considered as a civilization period (at least in incipient form) with an autonomous dynamic creator of locally focused culture. I don't think that you see that in other periods where trade is also active: 3500-2600, and from 1300 on. With all due respect to Celts, I still have to know of a Celtic city for the scale of its time (maybe Mediolanum?). Nor a Celtic state properly speaking (except Galatia maybe).

Regarding Italy. It belongs to the "west-central strip" of regions (Sacndinavia, Germany, Italy) that are fluctuant between Western and Central Europe. Italy is bridge between the Balcans and Eastern Med and the West, Germany (and Scandinavia) is bridge between Western and Eastern (and Central Eastern) Europe. As I wrote "before", I meant that Rome was a western civilization. But the your understanding (if one takes the "strict Western Europe" concept) is valid as well.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: RomiosArktos
Date Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 17:07
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Inability to develop a system of social and political organisation which protected the interests of the most disadvantaged members of society, resulting in alienation and disenchantment.

very well said,ConstantineXI.
Alienation is the key word,i think.It must have crossed the minds of many western romans back then that the rule of the barbarians might be better and not so harsh  as the rule of the roman governors.

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 17:33

I think civil wars has to be one of the very top reasons why the empire collapsed, the Romans never really created a permanent model for the succession of an Emperor. The lack of a smooth transition from Emperor to Emperor allowed just about anybody with enough legions behind him to make a bid for the throne.

This internal anarchy caused enormous damage to the veryheart of the empire, even the victor in a civil war rarely lasted long and tended to rule over an empire plagued by revolts and invasions from barbarians encouraged by Romes uncanny ability to self-destruct. With the legions withdrawn from the most important frontiers, the Rhine and the Danube to fight in distant battlefields Roman v Roman left the provinces wide open to raids and then full-blown invasion. One can't help but feel sorry for the inhabitants of the frontier provinces, far to often left defenceless as the legions marched off to fight other.

The crisis of the 3rd century was probably the most traumatic and chaotic period of Roman history since the Punic wars or the last civil wars during the republics day. Seemingly endless civil wars, economic collapse, Emperors lasting only a handful of years sometimes months, neglected frontiers an army fighting itself, its a true miracle that the empire survived at all and I don't think the empire ever truly recovered.

It was certainly never again the power it was during the Principate, for all those who still believed in Roman invincability, the 3rd century proved beyond doubt that the Roman empire was often at best fragile and could be toppled if internal difficulties could be exploited.

I don't buy that Christianity was a major cause in Romes demise, Christianity didnt tear the empire apart throughout the 3rd century and beyond, nor did it cause the shocking leadership of the 4th which put its fair share of nails in the coffin and it defanitely didnt cause the spiralling economic crisis of the western empire, attempting to support an army which is couldnt possibly afford.

I've always maintained that Rome effectively cut its own throat, if the barbarians wernt going to destroy the empire you could be sure a Roman would.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Posted By: guo hua
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 06:52
I would say, slavery and hatred is the main sparking
point that end Roman empire. When the Goths
invade Roman, the empire fall and never recover
back to the same status as before. As a empire with
main economic backbone is based on slavery,
hatred among other ethincity and the main
subject"Roman" are strong. In history study, I never
came upon any slavery backed nation are able to
continuously survive until today. No one will continue
a managment system that is full of hatred and when
the Goths destroy Rome, they were reluctant to carry
on this failed system.

-------------
http://www.bigscope.com - Provide Latest Career Opportunities To Everyone!

Date Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 08:41
Originally posted by guo hua

No one will continue
on this failed system.

Except that the barbarians did try to continue the system. They adopted its religion, for the most part attempted to maintain the economic system (at least at a local level, manorialism growing directly out of the latifundia), they took on Roman titles (dux became duke, comes became count, etc), and all the early states (eg Frankish Kingdom, HRE, etc) attempted to derive the legitimacy of their rule by appealing to a supposed Roman legacy. Far from dismantling the empire, they clung to whatever bits they could hold on to.

It's important to define "collapse" here. At a local level, the Roman system never really did collapse, it merely adapted to the loss of central authority by replacing it with strong local authority, and accomodated new populations and cultures. At the empire-wide level, the collapse of central authority and administration largely came about as the result of the increasing irrelevance of Rome itself as a center. This was an economic phenomena; as the slave system grew, and the landholders changed from small, independant farmers to owners of huge estates run by slaves (which eventually became the fiefs and manors of later times), it became cheaper to produce goods by slaves in the colonies than to hire free Romans for industry. Rome - the city - began to consume much, and produce little; to become an irrelevancy. Eventually it could only be sustained by continual expansion of its colonies, unfortunately, this happened at a time when mass population waves were swamping the borders and it was difficult enough merely to hold them, let alone push them forward.

The feudal system was a natural outgrowth of the Roman system. As the centre collapsed, the local institutions like the latifundia remained in place but changed their nature. Prior to the real "fall", they had already been challenging the central authority, putting in place measures like inheiritable titles for local officials (usually the most wealthy landowners - proto-feudal nobility, in a sense). The feudal age put an end to Rome, in a sense, as it was already beginning even before the collapse.

Date Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 11:45
Originally posted by guo hua

I would say, slavery and hatred is the main sparking
point that end Roman empire. When the Goths
invade Roman, the empire fall and never recover
back to the same status as before. As a empire with
main economic backbone is based on slavery,
hatred among other ethincity and the main
subject"Roman" are strong. In history study, I never
came upon any slavery backed nation are able to
continuously survive until today. No one will continue
on this failed system.

In fact Rome had already started the reform of the Urban-Slavist economy of the first period (the Principate) and promoted Feudalism since the 3rd milennium, creating the inheritability of professions and offices and subjugating free peasants as semi-slaves (coloni) while some slaves also were semi-liberated in the same dependent status.

Slavery continued in Rome and the post-Roman world. The term serf (servus) refers in Latin to slaves, while what we understand as "Medieval serf" is described in Latin as colonus (literally "colonist").

According to Dhont, the Caroligian state was the last one to rely in slavery basically, though this trait was transfered to the Eastern Kingdom (Germany) for some time. In that period, Feudalism was completing its painful stabilishment, by transforming most of the slaves (servi) into serfs (coloni), just because they were more productive that way.

Feudalism, including massive slavery and the appropiation in private hands of what used to be public lands, was a phenomenon that marked the Late Roman Empire, specially its western half. This process of rural "capitalization" was confronted by the Bagaudae: peasant and tribal revolts that controlled large areas of the Western Empire for decades.

This situation caused that only the more integrated areas of the western provinces remained loyal to Rome. While, despite the Bagaudae, Romans are still able to organize the Basque tribes in 407 against the Vandals... in 409, nobody opposes them anymore and they march freely into some of the richest provinces of the crumbling Empire.

Feudalization had broken the urbanite-cosmopolitan structure of the Empire, bringing people to do this or that not for their merits but for those of their parents or even grandparents, alloting most land to few mega-rich landowners, upsetting the self-ruled tribes of some regions that would not accept easily this new economic system, moving "Rome" 2,000 km to the East, where western provinces became almost irrelevant nuisances.

Rome had become the opressor of Romans. Unable to project anymore its force and ambition outwards, Rome eventually projected it inwards, causing its own disintgration by breaking the internal solidarity of the peoples and classes of the Empire. Compared with feudalist Rome, Germans or later Arabs were benevolent masters - at least initially. Rome itself, unable to take care anymore of its defense, hired these barbarians as "allies", settling the legal transition from Empire to kingdoms, from Antiquity to Medievality.

Eventually one of those barbarians determined that Rome was no more. There was still a New Rome, some 2,000 km eastward... but that's another story.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 17-Apr-2006 at 17:06

In fact Rome had already started the reform of the Urban-Slavist economy of the first period (the Principate) and promoted Feudalism since the 3rd milennium, creating the inheritability of professions and offices and subjugating free peasants as semi-slaves (<span style="font-style: italic;">coloni</span> while some slaves also were semi-liberated in the same dependent status. Slavery continued in Rome and the post-Roman world. The term serf (<span style="font-style: italic;">servus</span> refers in Latin to slaves, while what we understand as "Medieval serf" is described in Latin as <span style="font-style: italic;">colonus</span> (literally "colonist").

Right, but I think you are wrong in attributing the changes to the will of the central authority - they actually attempted numerous land reforms to break the power of the more massive landholdings, the larger latifundia. They just kept re-appearing, and because they were so wealthy, they had the political power to challenge the central authority. The ager publica were public leaseholdings on plots of land, and it was campaigns of the huge latifundia owners that managed to transform the leases to heritable ownership of former common lands. The economies of scale led to the accumulation of power both at the local and imperial level, and the latifundia grew and grew and grew - every time the economy went bad, they could buy up all the neigbouring farms and acquire more slaves as debtors. The owners of the latifundia became like mini-lords, interested in expanding their own personal power at the local level, at the expense of federal administration.

The empire was gradually losing control over its land to these local powers.

On the other hand, all the biggest latifundia owners were senators - but when they expanded the power of local officials and landowners, they were not acting in the interest of the empire, but using their position to enhance themselves at the expense of the empire. Just as capitalism was a subversion of absolutism, so the feudal system seems to have been a subversion of the imperial system. It was in the interest of the local powers to weaken central power, because they could always dominate at the local level. Sort of like the story about the southern American town where the sherriff is also the richest man in town, owns the place, and doesn't like higher authorities poking into "local affairs". Or the British experience with cotton and rubber plantations worked by slaves - too much political power caused by massive wealth, and often working against the interests of the state itself.

Posted By: Patch
Date Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 10:39

I voted Germanic invasion for the collapse of the Western Empire.  Over the period 370 to 476 the empire was simply overwhelmed by succesive invasions of Germans and Huns that gradually captured the revenue producing parts of the empire, particularly Spain, Gaul and above all Africa.

Looking at the other possible reasons -

I discount civil war as there had always been periodic civil wars throughout the Roman period without the empire collapsing.

Financial problems I see as being caused by the invasions rather than the cause of them.

Christianity was incorporated into the Roman government system after Constantine so you had a god appointed emperor instead of one who regarded himself as a god - not much difference.

While you may say that they had equally always been pressure on the frontier from Germanic tribes by the late 4th century they had formed into much larger confederations capable of putting many more troops in the field and they were much better equiped than the Germanic tribes in say the 1st century in terms of weapons. 

Date Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 11:14
Originally posted by Patch

I voted Germanic invasion for the collapse of the Western Empire.  Over the period 370 to 476 the empire was simply overwhelmed by succesive invasions of Germans and Huns that gradually captured the revenue producing parts of the empire, particularly Spain, Gaul and above all Africa.

Looking at the other possible reasons -

I discount civil war as there had always been periodic civil wars throughout the Roman period without the empire collapsing.

Financial problems I see as being caused by the invasions rather than the cause of them.

Christianity was incorporated into the Roman government system after Constantine so you had a god appointed emperor instead of one who regarded himself as a god - not much difference.

While you may say that they had equally always been pressure on the frontier from Germanic tribes by the late 4th century they had formed into much larger confederations capable of putting many more troops in the field and they were much better equiped than the Germanic tribes in say the 1st century in terms of weapons. 

Welcome to AE Patch

Whereas I agree that the Germanic tribes became a much more potent threat to the western empire, I don't believe they are they primary cause of its destruction. The gap between the Roman and Germanic armies had certainly been bridged by the 4th and 5th century, Romes armies were no longer superior in the way they had been against earlier Germanic tribes like the Cimbri or Teutones etc. However you have to look at why exactly Rome was no longer able to resist such invasions or stop them before they even occurred.

And civil wars are a big reason, not only did it seriously damage Romes military at a time when Romes enemies posed a serious threat, but it took them away from the frontiers they were meant to be defending.

Civil wars often put the brakes on progress and advancement, economies suffer, its also rare that 1 rebellion wont lead to another and another. If you look at 4th and 5th century Rome, its not uncommon to see an Emperor have to fight 2 3 or 4 rivals before he is fully established.

When you have a dwindling economy anyway, then you add a military often fighting itself and a succession of poor emperors its little wonder Rome could no longer resist the barbarians.

Religion as far as i'm concerned is a side issue, whether Pagan, Christian or any other religion, it doesnt make a blind bit of difference to a declining army and poor leadership.

It certainly true the republic and empire had suffered civil wars in the past, but never at a time when the empire could ill afford it,  the empire could often absorb the impact civil wars had, but not in the later centuries when it was in a sorry state. Take away the civil wars and endless rebellions by rivals and the empire would surely have been in a much stronger position to resist, also lets no forget the saved expense of such internal conflicts.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 00:22
Originally posted by edgewaters

In fact Rome had already started the reform of the Urban-Slavist economy of the first period (the Principate) and promoted Feudalism since the 3rd milennium, creating the inheritability of professions and offices and subjugating free peasants as semi-slaves (<span style="font-style: italic;">coloni</span> while some slaves also were semi-liberated in the same dependent status. Slavery continued in Rome and the post-Roman world. The term serf (<span style="font-style: italic;">servus</span> refers in Latin to slaves, while what we understand as "Medieval serf" is described in Latin as <span style="font-style: italic;">colonus</span> (literally "colonist").

Right, but I think you are wrong in attributing the changes to the will of the central authority - they actually attempted numerous land reforms to break the power of the more massive landholdings, the larger latifundia. They just kept re-appearing, and because they were so wealthy, they had the political power to challenge the central authority. The ager publica were public leaseholdings on plots of land, and it was campaigns of the huge latifundia owners that managed to transform the leases to heritable ownership of former common lands. The economies of scale led to the accumulation of power both at the local and imperial level, and the latifundia grew and grew and grew - every time the economy went bad, they could buy up all the neigbouring farms and acquire more slaves as debtors. The owners of the latifundia became like mini-lords, interested in expanding their own personal power at the local level, at the expense of federal administration.

The empire was gradually losing control over its land to these local powers.

On the other hand, all the biggest latifundia owners were senators - but when they expanded the power of local officials and landowners, they were not acting in the interest of the empire, but using their position to enhance themselves at the expense of the empire. Just as capitalism was a subversion of absolutism, so the feudal system seems to have been a subversion of the imperial system. It was in the interest of the local powers to weaken central power, because they could always dominate at the local level. Sort of like the story about the southern American town where the sherriff is also the richest man in town, owns the place, and doesn't like higher authorities poking into "local affairs". Or the British experience with cotton and rubber plantations worked by slaves - too much political power caused by massive wealth, and often working against the interests of the state itself.

Another interesting topic I had lost track of!

But there were massive revolts against feudalism... in theory at least, the State could have used these in its favor... if it would have wanted to fight for its survival against the rich. Yet: Rome was before anything an olygarchic structure. And, unlike what happened in th early years when the statesmen had the ability to fight among them without destroying the Empire - such "republican" spirit wasn't anymore in the decaying Empire of the 4th and 5th centuries.

Without any support from the state they were oficially citizens of, the Roman citizens were ready to embrace any barbarian warlord that was ready to make realpolitik.

Maybe one of the problems of Late Rome was that it had not anymore the spirit of a solidarious entity that was equally useful for all in most situations. When young Rome was fighting against Hannibal or the Teutons, the common Roman citizen, Italian ally or whatever had a concept that (for the most part) hardly the invader would be better than the old yoke. When the Vandals and Goths came, the average Roman had the impression that anything was at least not worst than Rome. The same happened to the Byzantines some time later in Syria and Egypt, where they had alienated the people with religious persecutions and centralism.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Pieinsky
Date Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 14:31

Empires don’t tend to crumble for one reason. There usually are a few factors involved in their decline and death.

-------------

Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 16:24
it got too old...

-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao

Date Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 17:31

Originally posted by vulkan02

it got too old...

In that case, explain how the Eastern empire lasted an additional 1000 years?

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 14:15
I would like to make a comment to anyone considering Christianity as a reason for the decline of the Roman Empire.

It is important to realise the difference between how we see Christianity today and the way it was in it's foetus years. At the time Christianity was not a well organised international religion as it is today nor did it have the solidarity and set principals of the modern churches. Christianity was far more lucid and open to interpretation, I personally doubt the power it had to collapse an empire.

Arguablly you could fight on the grounds that it gave Rome and her enemies (mainly the German barbarians) a common ground thus giving reasons for the allowance of non-slave barbarians within the Empire. This alone however is not the reason why barbarians were given a place within in the empire it was just a convenient justification as religion often is. The main reason they were allowed within the borders was to defend the borders which rome was no longer able to do, Christianity proved an effective tool in making it easier for the roman people to accept.

Further to this point I would like to state how religion is a slave to be used and utilized not a master that controls us. Religious and spiritual views aside looking at it from a purely anylitical point of view. Christianity and any other religion has been used to rally people to a common cause, it has been used to put fear into its subjects, levy taxes, raise armies. Rangeing from the first wars of Muhammed against the Idols, to the Crusades, to more recent events in Tebet; Religion has been and will always be a justification, understandably many leaders end up believing their own propaganda. But the point I would like to make is that under religion there are always other motives whether individuals are conscious of this or just ride the waves of time is another debate. But the point I am making is that religion itself is powerless to have an effect, it is the people and organisations that religion is moulded round that drive the wheels thus steer the boat of time.

-------------

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 14:18
Also, I believe the Christianized Romans started tearing down their structures way before the barbarians even touched them. When Alaric came to Rome he didnt destroy anything because everything was already destroyed by the christian romans themselves!!!

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 20:41

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Also, I believe the Christianized Romans started tearing down their structures way before the barbarians even touched them. When Alaric came to Rome he didnt destroy anything because everything was already destroyed by the christian romans themselves!!!

Date Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 11:44
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

I'm equally baffled by this.

-------------

Posted By: Mila
Date Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 11:46
I heard lead poisoning. 

-------------
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 12:06
Originally posted by Mila

I heard lead poisoning. 

That is given by Gibbon in his Decline and Fall. At first I was actually inclined to believe it, many of the early emperors who did well came from the provinces (no or little lead piping) and alot of the ones from the city of Rome (where water was supplied through lead piping) were the insane ones. Though I think today's historians have discredited the theory of insanity through lead piping.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 19:05
Originally posted by Eagle

I would like to make a comment to anyone considering Christianity as a reason for the decline of the Roman Empire.

It is important to realise the difference between how we see Christianity today and the way it was in it's foetus years. At the time Christianity was not a well organised international religion as it is today nor did it have the solidarity and set principals of the modern churches. Christianity was far more lucid and open to interpretation, I personally doubt the power it had to collapse an empire.

Arguablly you could fight on the grounds that it gave Rome and her enemies (mainly the German barbarians) a common ground thus giving reasons for the allowance of non-slave barbarians within the Empire. This alone however is not the reason why barbarians were given a place within in the empire it was just a convenient justification as religion often is. The main reason they were allowed within the borders was to defend the borders which rome was no longer able to do, Christianity proved an effective tool in making it easier for the roman people to accept.

I'd say that the (surprising) Christian Coup in and after Constanine's reign is part of the 4th Century crisis. It wasn't Christian emperors who first divided the Empire in two halves (weakening particularly the West) but it was Constantine who deposed Rome and Italy from its central role: what definitively made the Western provinces totally unnecessary and even a burden.

The Christian Coup anyhow is worth to study in depth. How come an estimated 10% minority managed to impose their beliefs to the other 90% is still a mistery to me. It's obvious that the Christian Party was better organized and more powerful than any other faction in 4th century Rome.

Christians were much stronger in the Eastern Empire and that can help to understand why they prefered that region to become the center.

For me the reason of the fall is the division of the Empire and the translation of the capital out of Italy and out of the West. The only reason to conquer and hold Gaul and nearby provinces was the geostrategical circumstances of Rome-Italy. Constantinople couldn't care less about them.

While dividing the Empire was not initially a Christian decission. Constantine and the other Christian emperors favored that scheme strongly. It were them who favored the de-Italianization of the Empire too.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 19:14
Originally posted by Heraclius

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

I'm equally baffled by this.

Let me try to explain myself. The sense of christian romans destroying Rome is that they did not like the paganisms surrounding themselves. This was very anti-christian, and the devouts started tearing temples, art, and statues down to the ground. SO in this sense the Christian Romans destroyed Rome because it contained a pagan past that was obsolete.

Date Posted: 01-May-2006 at 21:26
The Germans simply overwhelmed them, due to their population, military prowess, culture and intelligence.  The Romans kept 30 plus legions on the German border for a very long time.  They just could not keep up that level of vigilance against a superior force.  It was really just a matter of time all along.  

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 02-May-2006 at 02:11
Originally posted by genseric

The Germans simply overwhelmed them, due to their population, military prowess, culture and intelligence.  The Romans kept 30 plus legions on the German border for a very long time.  They just could not keep up that level of vigilance against a superior force.  It was really just a matter of time all along.  

Maybe you could give us a few examples of the superior Germanic culture in the 4th and 5th centuries, and tell us how the Germanic intelligence expressed itself.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Posted By: Scorpian
Date Posted: 02-May-2006 at 07:30

my view

In the beginning the Romans were lean mean fighting machines bent on conquest. They were ruthless with intent to subdue everyone they would come across. They would become rich with the spoils of war and would build Rome to emulate their power,wealth & influence. They had the will and they had the brawn to take what they wanted from others because they were better trained soldiers and could. 

Rome simply become soft and didn't have the same fighting spirit it once had and thus became itself a major target for a newer leaner meaner fighting group of peoples intent on giving the Romans a thrashing for past actions.

religion had a major part in Roman downfall with the attempt to unify the empire under one system (christianity). it was not realised that the roman faction was not the dominant faction and that the doctrines of the church had become confused from those of the original church. This led to a series of religious wars.  Most of what happened to Rome and the sacking of it umpteen times had to do with different views on christianity and the subsequent desire for political domination through religion. With each sacking of Rome a new set of christian doctrine and a newly elected representative was put in place.

-------------
Scorpian

Date Posted: 02-May-2006 at 07:39

Originally posted by genseric

30 Legions? and for how long exactly?

If your referring to the older standard legions of around 5000 men then your saying there was 150,000 + legionaries on the Rhine? not to mention the auxillaries who would also have been there doubling that number to 300,000, I find that impossible to believe.

For the majority of the history of the Roman empire the number of legions was centred around 28-32 in total, it fluctuated over time but theres no way that the empire would collect all of its armies to 1 focal point leaving the Euphrates and Danube frontiers empty of legions, not to mention Britain and Africa. Never during the principate or dominate did the Romans field an army 30 legions strong, nor did it collect them in such a large number in 1 place, especially in the 4th and 5th century when it had commitments on all fronts.

The newer *legions* were admittedly much smaller, but Roman armies that actually fought in a pitched battle by that point didnt tend to be much bigger than 15,000-20,000 or so, battles like Strasburg and Adrianople in the 4th century were important battles but had relatively small Roman armies taking part. The only real exceptions are Julians expedition into Persia and the civil wars.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-May-2006 at 14:34

Inability to inflict a desicive defeat on Persia. That would have opened up India and possibly China to them solving the real problem Rome had, the fact it was usually short of money.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-May-2006 at 15:02
  • The Roman army got bigger and bigger over time. By 400 AD, the Roman army was about 400,000 men. Most of the tribes that opposed Rome were less than 50,000 in population.  Clearly, shortage of raw army size was not the issue.

• The Persian wars had nothing to do with the fall of the western empire. It was the Eastern Roman Empire that fought against Persia, and it was the Eastern half that did not fall to barbarians.

Posted By: Genghis
Date Posted: 03-May-2006 at 21:47

This is hard, but I'll tell you what I thought were some of the main reasons I ascertained from the books I've read about ancient Rome.

1. Collapse of the republic and replacement by the Empire, which bred extreme corruption.

2. The government left care of the troops to the generals, which tied the soldiers too much to their general's fortunes, and undermined their loyalty to the government.

3. The end of conscription which created a professional army with its own set of interests which were often at ends with the interests of the Roman state.  It also got rid of a popular mobilization during emergencies, which was needed.

4. Diocletian's economic reforms which made all professions hereditary and destroyed the labor market, resulting in much less wealth being created in the empire.

5. Extreme taxation which hurt the economy, and especially trade.

6. The granting of federated status to Germanic minorities which led to the failure of them to be assimilated into the empire and the rise of states within the state.

7. The use of complete foreign mercenary units which led to the decay of Roman military prowess.

8. The creation of farmer soldiers to guard the frontiers who became more farmers than soldiers and who stood no chance against warrior nomads from the East.

9. The doctrine of isolation from the state and worldly possessions, and celibacy adopted by many Christians at a time when service to the state and more children were desperately needed.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 06:01

I think many of the points you make Genghis are very sound, however the first one "1. Collapse of the republic and replacement by the Empire, which bred extreme corruption." I do have abit of a problem with in regard to the corruption of the empire.

Wasnt the Republic certainly in the last century of its existance utterly corrupt? political power sold to the highest bidder, the republic effortlessly dominated by a handful of the richest Romans. Atleast a strong Emperor could if he so wished, root out corruption since he had the power to do so, whereas the Republic did not. When the richest Romans of the Republic also held the loyalty of the army then there was nothing anybody could do to stop it.

However later in the empire when the army became more attached to the individual general rather than the Emperor then you are somewhat correct, although armies were still commanded and fought loyally for the Emperor very late into the Western empires era.

Both the Republic and Empire were at times rife with corruption, under the empire though atleast it ws possible to regain control if the Emperor had the will to do so.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 13:25

Below is a link from an interview of two authors of two new books on the fall of the Roman Empire,  Peter Heather and  Bryan Ward-Perkins.  Both of them are History fellows at Oxford University in the UK who specialise in this period.  I have read Heather's book but not Ward-Perkins, from the interview below both authors seem to have similar ideas aboout the fall.

http://blog.oup.com/oupblog/2005/12/the_fall_of_rom.html - http://blog.oup.com/oupblog/2005/12/the_fall_of_rom.html

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 16:34

Weak rulers. Corrupt rulers. For God's sake, Romulus Augustulus was thirteen. Odoacer the German wouldn't have had a very difficult time outthinking him.

Actually, since the assassination of Flavius Atius, the man who defended Western Rome from Attilla the Hun, there were no truly good and capable leaders the Eastern Empire allowed to remain in power.

Posted By: Genghis
Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 21:27
Originally posted by Heraclius

I think many of the points you make Genghis are very sound, however the first one "1. Collapse of the republic and replacement by the Empire, which bred extreme corruption." I do have abit of a problem with in regard to the corruption of the empire.

Wasnt the Republic certainly in the last century of its existance utterly corrupt? political power sold to the highest bidder, the republic effortlessly dominated by a handful of the richest Romans. Atleast a strong Emperor could if he so wished, root out corruption since he had the power to do so, whereas the Republic did not. When the richest Romans of the Republic also held the loyalty of the army then there was nothing anybody could do to stop it.

However later in the empire when the army became more attached to the individual general rather than the Emperor then you are somewhat correct, although armies were still commanded and fought loyally for the Emperor very late into the Western empires era.

Both the Republic and Empire were at times rife with corruption, under the empire though atleast it ws possible to regain control if the Emperor had the will to do so.

That's very true, there was much corruption in each system, I just have gathered from what I have read that during the Empire, with a corrupt emperor, the damage done to the state of Rome was much worse than what a handful of consuls could do during the Republic.

I'm also more partial to the Republic than I am to the weak and decadent late Empire.

If you have read much more about this than I have, I would probably accept your opinion, I wouldn't consider myself an expert on classical history.

-------------
Member of IAEA

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 23:05
Originally posted by Laconius

Weak rulers. Corrupt rulers. For God's sake, Romulus Augustulus was thirteen. Odoacer the German wouldn't have had a very difficult time outthinking him.

Actually, since the assassination of Flavius Atius, the man who defended Western Rome from Attilla the Hun, there were no truly good and capable leaders the Eastern Empire allowed to remain in power.

By the time of Romulus Augustus things were pretty much all over anyway, the last real hope was Anthemius who was installed with the backing of the eastern emperor Leo in 467.  Unfortuneately for the Romans his eastern backed expedition to recapture Africa failed in 468 and he was executed in 472

After the Africa debacle the east had no more spare rescources to bolster the west so that was pretty much it. 

Posted By: Scorpian
Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 07:17

Search engine the Unitarian/Trinitarain Wars (No268) and read about the religious aspect to the downfall of the Roman Empire

-------------
Scorpian

Posted By: Bosniakum
Date Posted: 13-May-2006 at 20:55

There are many factors that are responsible for the fall of Rome, including a decline in population do to famine, corruption, decentralized government, failing economy, and a very bad invlexible burocratic system in which people were not able to move up.  Also of course the loss of its identity, Rome at the beginning was a militaristic society which later faded away, like one historian said " Rome did not fall because of 200 years of war, but because of 200 years of peace".

-------------
"I krv svoju za Bosnu moju"

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 01:36
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this but. Multi/ethnicities within Rome caused divisions??? Yes/No??

-------------

Posted By: Chilbudios
Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 07:51

Below is a link from an interview of two authors of two new books on the fall of the Roman Empire,  Peter Heather and  Bryan Ward-Perkins.  Both of them are History fellows at Oxford University in the UK who specialise in this period.  I have read Heather's book but not Ward-Perkins, from the interview below both authors seem to have similar ideas aboout the fall.

http://blog.oup.com/oupblog/2005/12/the_fall_of_rom.html - http://blog.oup.com/oupblog/2005/12/the_fall_of_rom.html

Here is a review of their books: http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2005/2005-07-69.html - http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2005/2005-07-69.html

I must say I was unimpressed by the scholarship they exposed. At least when P. Heather said "Every act of immigration except the first, in 376" - oh really? So what about the northern Gaul? Confused 

IMO the key word for understanding the fall of Roman Empire is interdisciplinarity and perspective. A narrow approach, a late start or a quick ending (like the aforementioned authors - 376 seems to me much too late to identify the proper causes, similarily 476 is way too soon to finish the analysis of the fall - or perhaps "fall" - of the Roman Empire) can be fatal errors.

Posted By: Lunwlf
Date Posted: 22-May-2006 at 01:16
I say that the Roman Empire fell because of corruption and the lack of discipline in the legions.

First the corruption, the rich and powerful were killing opposition, raising taxes and putting who ever they wanted on the throne. Any general, commander or senator who had a large force of men could kill the emperor and declare themselves ruler of all of Rome.

Second the lax of the legions. Anyone could become a legionare. In theory good, but then again so is everything. Truefully all they were doing was arming and training their enemies. They were training many barbarian warriors who then deserted and returned to teach their tribes what had learned. 

Also with the emperor changing often I doubt the army really knew who to listen to.

-------------
“I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.”- Socrates

Posted By: Gargoyle
Date Posted: 25-May-2006 at 13:27

I believe that the Roman Empire collapsed because of immigration. By the 2nd century there where more foreigners (slaves, immigrants, merchants etc...) living in Rome than the Romans themselves. The people that were in power in the 4th century onwards had lost that Roman tradition of the Republic and early Empire that had made Rome such a Winner.

-------------

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 25-May-2006 at 13:41
all thing must concluded

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Date Posted: 25-May-2006 at 15:08
I believe that the Roman Empire collapsed because of immigration. By the 2nd century there where more foreigners (slaves, immigrants, merchants etc...) living in Rome than the Romans themselves. By the late third century a racially pure Roman did not exist. The people that were in power in the 4th century onwards had lost that Roman tradition of the Republic and early Empire that had made Rome such a Winner.

Immigration was never a problem. Slaves outnumbered free citizens even before the Roman Empire was formed. In terms of citizenship, the Romans assimilated people right from the beginning, and at no time did a racially pure Roman exist.

Posted By: Elerosse
Date Posted: 26-May-2006 at 06:06

The high inflation, mainly caused by buying the luxerious silk from China was one of the economic problem.

In military, the system of only relying on foot-soldiers were outdated. no matter how good a legionnair's stamina is, a horseman are simply much faster and flexible, which is very important in border-fighting. The cavalery also became much more powerfull than before, making it more superior to infantry. The formation of legion could no longer hold themselv against armies of cavalery equipt with saddles.

-------------
人生自古谁无死,留取丹心照汗青
- 文天祥

Date Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 14:00

"The high inflation, mainly caused by buying the luxerious silk from China was one of the economic problem. "

Not really.  The Roman inflation resulted from the rediculous coining that occured during the 3rd century as general after general usurped the throne and printed out money to fund their campaigns.  Beforehand, the Antonine plague had whiped out a sizeable chunk of the population, resulting in economic collapse.  This couldn't have come at a worse time, for a new round of barbarians were beating on the frontier while the Sassanids introduced themselves in an explosive way. 

In short the combination of civil war, population decimation, economic collapse and endless warfare generated inflation like to tommorrow.  Diocletain only made the economic situation worse by trying to impose price controls.  The Roman economy was dead, the population ditched the cities and the Western Empire became "Germanized." 

In my judgement, the West was bound to collapse given the sheer size of buraeocracy built up during the "5 good emperors."  The government was taking more and more control of the economy, stunting the market and leaving it vulnerable to an unexpected crises.  Socialists and Corporatists would be wise to take note.

-Hasdrubal

-------------

Posted By: Red4tribe
Date Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 15:12
I believe it fell from so many civil wars .

-------------
Had this day been wanting, the world had never seen the last stage of perfection to which human nature is capable of attaining.

George Washington - March 15, 1783

Posted By: Polish Rob
Date Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 08:20
Originally posted by Mangudai

Many reasons are innvolved, but according to my history professor it was due to the fact that the romans lost their dynamic - they stopped to adapt to new situations and crumbled apart in civil wars. But not to forget - Rome didn't fell in 476 - but in 1453!

if you want to look at it that way, Rome never fell, as the continuation of the papacy, city states, and families such as the Medici. Western Empire fell in 476, Byzantine Empire collapsed in 1453.

Posted By: Yucky cat
Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 01:23

I believe that the Fall of Rome is because of its over-extended. The area is simply too big, so they are unable to defend it. I wouldn't blame it all on the Romans though. Since during that time, different groups of Barbarians attacked Rome. Many the selfish generals and emperors should also take blames. There are many possibilities.

Posted By: Balain d Ibelin
Date Posted: 13-May-2007 at 05:03
All of the reasons you mentioned cause Fall of Rome (except financials).

-Religious War
       This is one of the cause, but at the Fall of Rome it was started to controlized by the Christians. 3 Centuries after death of Jesus, the War Hottens all veins of Nobleman of Rome, the Pagan Emperors persecuted Christians and their Churches. But, at the time of Constantine, the Christians became more powerful, and, seeing that Christian was rising powerfully, Constantine helped the Christians to rise but he still became a Pagan until his Baptism in his deathbed (this fact is Secretfully kept).Finally, in early 400 ADs, the Christian ruled the Roman World, although, the Pagans still sometimes rebelled also.

-Division of Empire and Civil Wars.
        Another cause, yes, this is very recent. Generals at gauls and Spain and Britania sometimes rebelled against Emperors. Some West Emperors attacked Eastern Emperors or the other way.... The main cause of this problem was sometimes of Religion (Christ v Pagans). But sometimes also because of disagreement of the Other Emperor/General decisions.

-German Invasion
         This, had the greatest effect of the Fall of Rome. When the Visigoths attacked Italy, the other German tribes became courageful of the idea of Attacking Rome, the Franks, the Goths, the Lombards, the Saxons, the Ostrogoths, the Burgundians and the other minor tribes attacked the West Empire. The route is same as this:
            - Franks -- Attack Gaul
            - Lombards -- Att. Italy
            - Goths -- Att. Spain and Italy
            - Saxons -- Att. Britania.
And many other routes of attacking also....

The Hunnic Invasion also took a great part. Under Attila, they massacre thousands, raid cities and slaughter hundreds. But, when this Invasion by those Steppe Hordes stopped, the German tribes rose again and raiding was Unstoppable.

-------------
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux

Posted By: Frederick Roger
Date Posted: 13-May-2007 at 05:09
Other: progressive led poisoning of patricians. LOL

Date Posted: 31-May-2007 at 10:42
Originally posted by Polish Rob

if you want to look at it that way, Rome never fell, as the continuation of the papacy, city states, and families such as the Medici. Western Empire fell in 476, Byzantine Empire collapsed in 1453.

Don't forget Ivan the Great marrying Sophia Palaeologus, neice of the last Emperor and making the Russian Tzars heirs to the throne.

Last time I looked Russia was still going strong...

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 01:41
Rome truely fell in 1453.

Posted By: Aster Thrax Eupator
Date Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 10:23
The poll's a little bit ridiculous if you ask me - all of those other factors are all smaller sub-factors that came from the divisions caused within the empire-

"Fianical problems" - these came about because of the vast class division that the empire slowly caused and the maintainence of such a huge empire

"Germanic invasion and military decline"- remember Aemulius Marcellinus and other later Roman historians? The whole reason why Honorius was unable to keep Alaric back was because of trators and corruption within his own court. He was a weak emperor who people took advantage of an the only one who could have done anything to save Rome at the end - after that, it was in a steep decline from then on. As for the military decline, that's also because of Roman social values going and the legionaries moving on and the employment of barbarians. Also, there is a theory that having a nation like Carthage around "kept Rome on its' toes". Also, having these two in the same poll is frankly a bit misguided. Emperor Honourius' failure was due to divsions in the empire, not military disintergration. The military were putting down rebellions in Gaul at the time and there were really no proper troops in the area around Rome to defend against Alaric's Visigoths (...or were they Ostrogoths?). The problem was, as I said, to do with Honorius's weakness and the corruption in the court. The military situation was a contributary factor, but not a main one.

"Christianity" - Christianity conformed with the idea of "Jove" for the Plebs - the personal god which would come to them. The origional state religion in Rome was crumbling because of the increase in science and rational culture. It has even been stated by Romans that nobody really believed in the old legends anymore. The Romans thus moved to more astract religions which were more personal like Christianity and Eastern Mysticism. These problems were thus, as I have stated, social and stating that Christianity is the reason why the empire fell is premature - in fact, the empire continued under Christianity and had a golden age under emperors such as Justinian in the 8th century.

Rome truely fell in 1453.

Now that I agree with! How can people just ignore the continuation of the empire in the east? It was Rome! Byzantines even realised themselves as Romans!

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 02:25

The original Roman people disappeared by the third century. They intermarried with slaves and foreigners. That contributed to the collapse of the West Empire in the fifth century. The same fate happened to the Portuguese Empire 1,100 years later.

Posted By: Illirac
Date Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 17:26
Rome collapsed couse there were no more roman rulers and few "true" roman citizans, as there where more gauls or illirians (like Diocletian, who received roman nationality) and due to the civil wars,

and another problem were the soldiers who were germanic heavy cavalry (who offer their loyalty to the higher bidder), of course, heavy infantry can not stand heavy cavalry and the roman warfare was based on legions which was heavy infantry

so there where many problems (another was the divison of the roman empire)...

-------------
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.

Posted By: Mumbloid
Date Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 07:32
Originally posted by Illirac

of course, heavy infantry can not stand heavy cavalry and the roman warfare was based on legions which was heavy infantry

why cant the heavy infantry stand heavy cavalry? I know another history.

-------------
The future keeps the past alive.

Date Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 13:12
yeah, what can do "poor" infantry (with short sword and shields and heavy armor) and they fight in group, and devided the rock break on it's self; against a heavy charge of cavalry in wedge formation, they did not use spear nor fighted in phalanx formations and they just used light cavalry...
why Marcus Crassus was defeated in  53 BC in the battle of Carrhae? and he had more man ?

-------------

Posted By: Mumbloid
Date Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 15:17
romans also used spears and fought also in phalanx like formation (see phalangites, pikemen ect). Only a brainless horsemen would charge a wall of pikes.
 Dont forget the Roman military evolved with time adapting to new situations and enemyes.

-------------
The future keeps the past alive.

Posted By: ChickenShoes
Date Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 15:23
I'm sure someone said this already, but I didn't read all the responses. I don't think any one of those reasons alone caused the fall of the empire but rather their combination. Some were more influential, I certainly think Christianity and outsourcing legions to barbarians played the largest parts, but the others you have listed were definitely essential as well.

-------------
It is not enough that I succeed - everyone else must fail

Date Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 15:33
yes, and why a shiltron has been overrun by a charge of heavy cavalry?, and why Constantin hired 6 000 heavy German cavalry?

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 15:35

why Marcus Crassus was defeated in  53 BC in the battle of Carrhae? and he had more man ?

It was the horse archers and exhaustion that defeated the Romans in that battle, not the heavy cavalry of the Parthians.

By default heavy infantry can defend very well and repel cavalry (heavy or not attacks) especially if equipped by spears, which most armies that were expecting to face cavalry made sure to have.

Edit
Not shiltron but their "testudo" formation was at the end broken. But that was after they were devastated by the horse archers.

Constantine comes much later and the reason for hiring German mercenaries is that this was common practice by the Romans.  No-one is claiming that heavy cavalry is useless, on the contrary it can be a decisive weapon in the hands of a competent general.

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 15:46
9k horse archer and 1k heavy cavalry who overrun all of the heavy infantry( the heavy cavalry), and shiltron or porkupine formation....who ever mentioned testudo?,

and for centuries no army has won without heavy cavalry

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 15:54

9k horse archer and 1k heavy cavalry who overrun all of the heavy infantry( the heavy cavalry), and shiltron or porkupine formation....who ever mentioned testudo?,

"Testudo" is what the Roman formation that allowed Legionnaires to defend against projectiles was named. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testudo_formation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testudo_formation

Shiltron is a different thing.

and for centuries no army has won without heavy cavalry

Please do not generalize, this is obviously not the case....

Why this obsession with heavy cavalry? Are you a horseman? Wink

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com