Print Page | Close Window

The Most Conquered Country!

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: General World History
Forum Discription: All aspects of world history, especially topics that span across many regions or periods
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2046
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 10:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Most Conquered Country!
Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Subject: The Most Conquered Country!
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 14:10
I think it is Iraq, what do you think?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: babyblue
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 14:31

some may say it's France...

or maybe China....we've been conquered a few times.

-------------

Posted By: Jorsalfar
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 14:36
We have been conquered really many times.If it is not Denmark then it is Sweden or Germany.

-------------

Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 14:43
Poland, perhaps.

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 14:51
How many times has Iraq been conquered?And Poland?

-------------

Posted By: Mangudai
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 15:19
I Think it's present day Irak (Mesopotomia), since the history of war as we know it originated there

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 15:41
Iraq, Poland, Israel, Egypt, Italy, India, Tranoxiana have all been conquered alot, but I think Lebanon would be the most conquered country of them all.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Gubook Janggoon
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 16:39
Korea's been subjugated quite a few times...

-------------

Posted By: Polish-UkrainianCanadian
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 16:45
Israel, Russe, Ukraine, et Pologne; je pense.

Posted By: dark_one
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 18:07
 How does Russia get on that list? We wer econquered once by Mongolians if I recall. Israel comes to mind first.

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 18:29
Probably Iraq, at least in terms of many different conquers and rulers.

Sumerians
Akkadians
Assyrians
Babylonians
Hittites
Chaldeans
Elamites
Achaemenids
Alexander
Parthians
Romans
Sassanids
Byzantines
Muslims/Caliphates
Seljuk Turks
Il-Khanate
Tamerlane
Ottoman Turks
Safavid Empire
too many to list

-------------

Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 18:37

You're forgetting USA now!

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 18:40
Originally posted by Jorsalfar

We have been conquered really many times.If it is not Denmark then it is Sweden or Germany.

Germany?
The most conquered land in history? How do we deserve that honour?
Romans, okay they conquered half of it.
Thirty Years War, you can't really count that, every other nation in Europe fought it out in Germany, but can't really call that conquering.
Napoleon, okay and a damn good thing too.
Allied forces after WW2, okay, and a damn good thing too.
But apart from that?
If anything, we haven't been conquered often enough.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 18:42
Lol, yeah...and Palmyrenes, etc... I would be consider Israel a little too specific - at least I would say that Middle East is probably the most fought-over region in history.

But I can also see that Tranoxiana can contend.

-------------

Posted By: babyblue
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 23:00

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

subjugated hey? ahhh...

-------------

Posted By: Ptolemy
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 00:04

Egypt has been ruled by:

Egyptians, Lybians, Nubians, Assyrians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Ottomans, French and British.

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 00:37
Originally posted by babyblue

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

subjugated hey? ahhh...

I don't get it...

-------------

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 04:29

Originally posted by Komnenos

Germany?
Thirty Years War, you can't really count that, every other nation in Europe fought it out in Germany, but can't really call that conquering.
But apart from that?

Reread the post - he meant Germany as conquerors of Norway.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 05:18

Not as a country, but Anatolia was a region which different cultures always fought for and tried to conquer. These lands have been homelands for lots of developed civilizations and ethnic populations throughout history, since ancient times... Also these lands were always used as the bridge btw civilizations, so both eastern and western civilizations left their cultural inheritance in these lands, and formed a multi cultural structure in these lands of todays Turkey...

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 05:38

Originally posted by Komnenos

Germany?
But apart from that?

i meant that Germany had conquered us.I meant like if it is not Denmark that conquers us then it is Sweden.And Germany did it once.

Sorry.I can understand that you misunderstood my post.

-------------

Posted By: Imperatore Dario I
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 07:04
Greece. Greece has been invaded several times and was not independent since the Roman invasion to 1831.

-------------

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid

Posted By: YusakuJon3
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 07:09
I think at this stage, Iraq takes the prize.  Pretty much since the  the time of Sumer and Babylon, it's been dominated by one army or another.  Compared to that, even Palestine  is a distant second.

-------------
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 08:32
Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

Greece. Greece has been invaded several times and was not independent since the Roman invasion to 1831.

Surely the time, Greece was part of the Byzantine Empire
must count as period of independence. The Empire was certainly in the last seven centuries more Greek than Roman.

-------------

Posted By: Jagatai Khan
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 08:35
We should call it Mesopotamia

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 09:33

Probably Iraq, at least in terms of many different conquers and rulers.

Sumerians
Akkadians
Assyrians
Babylonians
Hittites
Chaldeans
Elamites
Achaemenids
Alexander
Parthians
Romans
Sassanids
Byzantines
Muslims/Caliphates
Seljuk Turks
Il-Khanate
Tamerlane
Ottoman Turks
Safavid Empire
too many to list

Are you sure about Byzantines?

But Gutians, Kassites, Hurrians, Medians, Seleucids, Buyids, Zangids, Jalayirids, Turkmens (Kara Koyunlu & Ak Koyunlu), Afsharids, Mamluks and British can be added to this list too.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 09:49
And the Americans!

-------------

Posted By: Murph
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 09:58
it definitely seems like its mesopotamia.  its been around the longest and seems to have been the crossroads of civilization for many years

-------------

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 12:02

i say the area which is Iraq now.

BTW there is no such ancient land called Israel, there was a Kingdome of Israel more than  2700 years ago and there is a State call itself Israel from the last 56 years.

that land called Palestine and the land of Cannan before . Israeli or sons of Israel lived there for a period of time so did others.

-------------

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 14:34

I still say Lebanon wins with Iraq close behind, sure Iraq may have had more different nations conquer it, but if you look at the amount of times Lebanon was conquered, and count how many times the same peopel re-conquered it...they win.

I mean the Egyptians alone had to reconquer it every time a new Pharoah came to power, that sure adds up over time.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: El_Bandito
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 21:01
The area south of Gobi desert(present day Inner Mongolian Autonomous Region) was always contested between the Nomads north of it, and the Sino people south of it.  Plus the Turks from the west and Jurchins/Manchus from the east had their share too. 

-------------
I'm awake, I'm awake.

Posted By: Elanjie
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 21:12
I'd rather say the most conquered country is korea,not only by the military force,and spirit of culture was wholely rebuilt or influenced.

Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 21:31

Israel without doubt. Have been conquered by almost every superpower of the old and dispersed around the world.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 23:39
Originally posted by Elanjie

I'd rather say the most conquered country is korea,not only by the military force,and spirit of culture was wholely rebuilt or influenced.

Culture wholely rebuilt?  I'd tend to disagree.  Most historians tend to agree that although Korea has been taken quite a few times it has always managed to maintain it's own distinct cultural identity...

-------------

Posted By: TheOrcRemix
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 00:42
I would have to say greece

-------------
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean

Posted By: Aristoteles
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 03:07

By number of conquerors: It has to be Iraq... two dozen names have been already mentioned by other posters - and this land practically never lived by self-rule of it's inhabitants, every now and then someone would jump up and add them to his empire or kingdom or emirate or (in the light of the most recent developments) "sphere of influence".

Palestine is a close second. It too has seen a host of conquerors from the wake of time until today - many people seem to forget that the Hebrew themselves have conquered (and reconquered, after WW2) this area (irregardles if we count Canaa in Palestine).

Anatolia is up there as well. Has been conquered (all or parts of it) among others by the Hittite, Cimmerian, Persian, Greeks, Gauls, Roman, Seljuks, Ottomans and many, many others over time.

The Helladic area has lived many years under a single foreign ruler (first the Romans, who were disposed by the Greeks in the course of the "eastern" half of the Roman Empire and then the Turks) and for a very brief period of time the Germans. Maybe you could add the Bulgarian  as well, although the never really established themselves in southern Greece and only ruled briefly the Northern part (Macedonia and Thrace). The whole area of the Balkans has the same, more or less, history of many rulers. 

Of western Europe: Iberia was a playground for several upstarts in the great game of "grap your neighbors land": Carthagenians, Romans, Goths, Moors, French and others (you could add Britain too, she still "occupies" a small strip of land - yes, the "rock"). France has also been conquered a lot.

-------------
Trying to educate the ignorant, leads only to frustration

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 17:11

Israel.

Posted By: Faran
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 18:13
I will vote for Iraq as well, with Palestine in second place. 

Posted By: Artaxiad
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 20:42

Armenia was conquered by: Assyrians, Medes, Persians, Macedonians, Romans, Byzantines, Seljuks, other Turkic khanates, Mongols, Egyptians, Ottomans, Russians, and some others that I might have forgotten to mention. Present day Armenia has only kept one tenth of its historical size.

But it was pretty strong during later Antiquity, and was able to forge an empire of its own. And Armenians were still relatively a majority in their lands until early 20th century.

Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 21:24

France has also been conquered a lot.

France isn't gaul dude. France started with the Franks invasion, anything before that isn't France but Gaul. Since the existence of the France, France has never been conquered, invaded, defeated and occupied yes but conquered never. It took  100 years to defeat the Angevin or Platagenet empire (actually it wasn't the English vs France during the 100 years wars but more Frankish France vs anglo-french burgundian alliance). We were occupied during WW2 but again not conquered since it took 5 years for the german to be defeated. To be conquered mean to be ruled by foreigners in your totality this has yet to happen in France. England has been conquered France has never been.

-------------

Posted By: El_Bandito
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 23:07
I suppose one can put it that way.

-------------
I'm awake, I'm awake.

Posted By: Mystic
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 12:24
China has been conquered quite a few times as well. Well actually only two foreign groups were successfully able to conquer and rule all of China, them being the Mongols and the Manchus but during the age of fragmentation, many of the various kingdoms and dynasties that were established were of non-Chinese origin. Of course they eventually assimilated and sinicized but that's a whole nother issue. THe Song dynasty also had various parts of China occupied by foreigners such as the Tanguts, Khitans, and the Jurchens. Considering China's geographical location, one should not be surprised that many foreign groups at various times were able to conquer and occupy parts of China simply because of the proximity to the Central Asian Steppelands who were home of the nomadic invaders. I guess you can call it a very unfortunate position for China as you can see that she was constantly invaded and threatened by these nomadic peoples. So much so that the very symbol of China's greatest monument, the Great Wall was built to protect them from these peoples. One thing that is amazing though is that no matter how many times the nomadic peoples invaded and even successfully conquered China, Chinese civilization and culture was able to survive as they assimilated those various peoples around her. As you can see I'm quite fascinated with the concept of Sinicization 

Posted By: sennacherib
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 14:04
I place my bets on Iraq, or at least the territory that now makes up what we call Iraq.

Posted By: Idanthyrus
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 18:42

Afghanistan is probably pretty high up there too.

I wouldnt really say that the Babylonians or the Sumerians conquered Iraq since basically both were natives to the land.

Date Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 20:35
I dont know it could I cant  say for a fact Iraq I think it would be more of the region between Turkey, Jerusalem, Iran, Egypt. I wouldnt include the Arabian Peninsula because that wasnt major.

-------------

Posted By: ChineseManchurian
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 21:28

Originally posted by Mystic

China has been conquered quite a few times as well. Well actually only two foreign groups were successfully able to conquer and rule all of China, them being the Mongols and the Manchus but during the age of fragmentation, many of the various kingdoms and dynasties that were established were of non-Chinese origin. Of course they eventually assimilated and sinicized but that's a whole nother issue. THe Song dynasty also had various parts of China occupied by foreigners such as the Tanguts, Khitans, and the Jurchens. Considering China's geographical location, one should not be surprised that many foreign groups at various times were able to conquer and occupy parts of China simply because of the proximity to the Central Asian Steppelands who were home of the nomadic invaders. I guess you can call it a very unfortunate position for China as you can see that she was constantly invaded and threatened by these nomadic peoples. So much so that the very symbol of China's greatest monument, the Great Wall was built to protect them from these peoples. One thing that is amazing though is that no matter how many times the nomadic peoples invaded and even successfully conquered China, Chinese civilization and culture was able to survive as they assimilated those various peoples around her. As you can see I'm quite fascinated with the concept of Sinicization 

Actually Mongol and Manchu not really conquered China by their miltary force, 90% of their sodiers were Chinese. So some people says if Chinese unified against others they will never lose

Date Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 03:19

If we don't want to consider the whole of a country then I think Iran was conquered more than Iraq becuase all of those who conquered Iraq also conquered parts of Iran, other than them:

Afghans
Alavids
Amardians
Armenians
Assassins
Atabegs
Bavandids
Caspians
Dutch
Eldeguzid
Ghaznavids
Ghurids
Hephthalites
Hyrcanians
Kavusids
Lullubis
Mosaferids
Muzaffarids
Omanese
Paduspanids
Portuguese
Russians
Saffardis
Salghurids
Samanids
Scythians
Simjurids
Spaniards
Tahirids
Urartians
Uzbeks
Zeyarids

-------------

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 18:25

Portuguese?

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 07:45
Yes, the Portuguese ruled the southern Iran for about one century. There are still some Portuguese castles in Qeshm, Hormoz, Tis and some other cities of Iran.

-------------

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 05:22

they were in the Arabic part of the Hurmz strait also

-------------

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 07:11

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Yes, the Portuguese ruled the southern Iran for about one century. There are still some Portuguese castles in Qeshm, Hormoz, Tis and some other cities of Iran.

Indeed, from 1511 to 1620, the Portuguese were in the Persian Gulf, doing whatever it was they did (they also dominated bits of Oman). What does surprise me is the mention of the Spaniards. As far as I remember, they never went near the Persian Gulf. 

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: Rava
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 07:30

In terms of the permanent lost of the indenpendence it's about 250 years. In terms of single invasions or temporary occupation of the land ... many to many.

Date Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 07:53
From 1580 the southern Iran was in fact under Spanish rule, Shah Abbas fought against Philip III, the king of Spain.

-------------

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 12:48
Ahem...no. Our king was Spanish, but there was some separation between the two nations. Only after...oh wait...yeah.

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 13:52

It depends if you look at how long they have been conquered or or how many times they have been conquered. Mesopotamia was ruled by Iranians for about 13 of the past 25 centuries. Overall, middles east is probably the most conquered mainly because it is the oldest part of the world and its location of being in the middle of everything. It would be very hard to say which country in the middle east.

Posted By: RED GUARD
Date Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 09:15
        This must be Egypt, I mean, it has been conquered by Hyksos, Assyrians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, French and British and was almost conquered by Iseral.

-------------
Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

Posted By: Kouros
Date Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 20:49
Imperator Invictus is correct but Cyrus Shahmiri brings up a good point. iran has been subjugated to many forms of rule but alot of iran was under sphere of influence not conqured. iraq is the most hostile of these places and has seen the might of every nations sword. it has been predetermined that nimrod would be a place of political unrest and rule by hazrateh Ali. he said that from the begining iraq was loose and till the end of the world stability and peace will never come to its soil becuase the land is cursed or something of the sort.  

-------------
Iran:?!]Iran

Posted By: Tlaloc
Date Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 21:26
In my opinion, the country or region in question has to be put into an overall context greater than a simple change of rulers.

This means how much harm the actual region has suffered at the hands of the invaders, how much it retarded progress and developpement.

Iraq might have been conquered many, many times, but in my view it wasn't that bad, overall. Borders changed, the people remained, and for a while (infact, at the very beginning as well) they prospered udner the early Mesopotamian Civilizations and under the Islamic Khalifates.

Russia might have been lorded over by the Mongols..but in just two or three centuries they had thrown off the yoke, and incorporated the former invaders into their world empire.

Israel..heh, Israel just plays the sympathy card. But it's rather well off, if you ask me.

So, my vote goes to the Balkans. No region has been so retarded in growth, by relatively few invasions. In the economic and social map of Europe, one could change entire worlds by stepping over this imaginary boundary: Austria and Hungary to the north, Italy to the west, Greece to the south, Ukraine to the East. Passing that boundary brought you into a backward region, where the invaders have been few but the damage has been, and continues to be, tragic.

Perhaps it's poor geographical location, perhaps it's just pure misfortune. Either way, it's pathetic compared to what it could have been.

Date Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 13:53
Personally, I think it has to be somewhere in Africa that has been conquered the most because there's a revolution going on there almost everyday. My bets are on either Sudan or Congo.

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 11:21
Originally posted by Rava

In terms of the permanent lost of the indenpendence it's about 250 years. In terms of single invasions or temporary occupation of the land ... many to many.

What are you talking about???Poland???Or the middle east? And i can never see poland one of the most invaded/conquered lands (mainly invaded) but as i can see only the USSR and Germany have conquered it. None of the others did it, or they were packed by revolutions and killed a month afterwards.

But if you take the percent then from the last 900 years that from Estonian history is known at all, i might say it is us, for we ruled the land 118+37+14=169 years of 900... that makes it a decent 18% ownage of the land by years.

-------------

Posted By: Hardel
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2005 at 05:27
China
1.Toba (north wei) they were nomadic ethnic(mongol or manchu).They did conquered north china.
2.Kidan(liao empire)They were proto mongol.
3.Tangut(Xia xia empire)They were tibetians.
4.Jurchid or jurjen,manchu(jing empire).conquered north china.
5.Mongol empire(Yun empire).conquered all china.
6.Manchu(Qing empire).Conquered all china.
7.Peraphs Japans.

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2005 at 12:56

If country A is independent but then conquered by country B, and then country C comes along and takes over from B, does that mean A has been conquered once or twice?

In other words, between two conquests doesn't there have to be a period of independence?

Posted By: Hardel
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2005 at 05:22

Actually Mongol and Manchu not really conquered China by their miltary force, 90% of their sodiers were Chinese. So some people says if Chinese unified against others they will never lose

[/QUOTE]
Are you sure?Chingis khaan , his son Ogodei khaan, and his grandson Mongke did not use chinese soldiers when conquer Jing empire and Song empire.Just General Aajuu use boats of chinese fishers for cross Changjiang river when attacked to Song empire.Mongolians first time used chinese troops from Khubilai khaan.

Posted By: Frederick Roger
Date Posted: 08-Apr-2005 at 05:08

Portugal get's the prize for this one.

Every summer a crab-red horde of anglo-german barbarians invades Southern Portugal, causing imense disturbance, like massive noise, plunder and raping. When the summer ends, they all leave as swiftly as they came, with the promisse to return next year for another "chevauch".

On the other hand they do leave loads of cash....  

-------------

Posted By: Ahmed The Fighter
Date Posted: 03-May-2005 at 13:51
IRAQ is The Most Conquered Country because it location and it's oil now in iraq there are many wars between nations and civil war especialy in islamic period

-------------
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 04-May-2005 at 00:03
Armenia should be at or near the top of this list.

Gateway between Europe and Asia, fought over and conquered by every major empire (Assyrian Empire, Persian Empire, Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire, Macedonian Empire, Seljuks/Ottomans, Mongolian Empire, Arabs, USSR, including countless other nations and successor-states, i can continue all day.).  We are officially the greatest buffer-state to ever exist .

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: ramin
Date Posted: 04-May-2005 at 02:20
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

IRAQ is The Most Conquered Country because it location and it's oil now in iraq there are many wars between nations and civil war especialy in islamic period
Oil has been a issue only in the 20th century on and it has caused only 1 British invasion for Iraq.

Civil wars could not be counted since they're not any sort of foreign invasion.

-------------
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 04-May-2005 at 06:37

I vote for the I countries:Iraq and Israel

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: aknc
Date Posted: 04-May-2005 at 09:37

Troy?They found 8-9 of that one

-------------
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Posted By: aknc
Date Posted: 04-May-2005 at 09:38
Originally posted by Hardel

Are you sure?Chingis khaan , his son Ogodei khaan, and his grandson Mongke did not use chinese soldiers when conquer Jing empire and Song empire.Just General Aajuu use boats of chinese fishers for cross Changjiang river when attacked to Song empire.Mongolians first time used chinese troops from Khubilai khaan.
[/QUOTE]

kubilai was a real chinese lover

-------------
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Posted By: Kazec
Date Posted: 04-May-2005 at 12:06

China as the most conquered country? haha don't make me laugh...

Everybody knows that throughout history, only Mongols and Manchus completely conquered and annexed China.

While the event of capital sacked and emperors captured by foreign/barbaric power happened three times. But the imperial succession was not ended.

The honour is far from being ours. We have got enough 'most' already. Leave it to other nations.

Posted By: Kazec
Date Posted: 04-May-2005 at 12:38

Originally posted by Hardel

Chinese soldiers were present during Mongol conquest of Song, while the proportion may not be so high. Many Han soldiers joined the Mongol after the fall of Jin. The final pursuit of the infant Song emperor (poor kid) in Guangdong coast was performed by the Han corps. Their commander was Zhang Hongfan (1238-1280) whose father was a surrendered official of Jin.

Zhang was a familiar guy to the Chinese, mainly of his opposite, Wen Tianxiang (1236-1283), one of the last Song ministers who escorted the emperor. He was captured by the Mongol troops. Zhang Hongfan pursuaded Wen to defect. Wen showed his famous poem Guo-Ling-Ding-Yang (Crossing the Strait of Lingding (outer mouth of Pearl River)) writtern not long before to refuse. Wen was jailed for four years and executed in Dadu. Wen was a national hero to the Chinese and his poem (mainly the last two phases) became one of the most famous quotations in Chinese history.

Date Posted: 14-May-2005 at 01:30

I believe that Iran was actually the most conquered country.

• Elamites
  • Babylonians
  • Assyrians
  • Medians
  • Achaemenids
  • Arsacids (Parthians)
  • Seluicids
  • Sassanids
  • Macedonian (Alexander the Great)
  • Caliphate of Rashuddin
  • Caliphate of Ummaviyeh (ummayads)
  • Caliphate of Abbasi (Abbasids)
  • Tahirids
  • Safarids
  • Samanids
  • Ghaznavids
  • Buyids
  • Aleyan Tabarestan
  • Al-Zeyar
  • Sultanate of Qurn
  • Seljuks
  • Etabakan Azerbaijan
  • Khuarmzshaheyan
  • Mongols under Genghis Khan and Ogati Khan
  • Khanate of Hulago and the Il-Khans
  • Al-jalaler
  • Emrayeh Chupane
  • Al-Muzaffar
  • Inju
  • Sarbadarian
  • Malouke kert
  • Etabakan Fars
  • Garakhtayan Kerman
  • Emrayeh Luristan
  • Timurids
  • Qara Quyunlu
  • Aq Quyunlu
  • Safavids
  • Afsharids
  • Ghilzais
  • Zand
  • Qajar
  • Mohammareh
  • Pahlavi
  • Islamic Republic of Iran

As you can see, Iran does have a violent history and mostly a history of disunification. I like to separate the category of disunification in Iran to the first, second, and third age of disunification. The First is with the Arab Resolution (with the Samanids, Ghaznavids, etc.). The Second is the Mongol resolution (with small tribes, kingdoms, and city-states). The Final Age of Disunification is when Iran is split into 4 nations (Safavids, Zand, Ghilzai, & Afshar). Another age of disunification is shown between the Mohammareh and Pahlavi, but I don't consider that as an official age.

Posted By: Gorgi Makedonski
Date Posted: 15-May-2005 at 12:48

Macedonia is maybe not the most conquered country in the GLOBAL history, but concidering the last 10 - 11 centuries, we would be almost on the top

Weve been conquered more than 10 times only in the 20 century.

In the period from 1900 & 1945 the region where i come from (part is today Republik of Macedonia, part is in Republic of Greece) was a site of unnumbered uprisings, balkan & world wars, plunderings, genocides, exodus & all the misery that bring military conflict ;(

The "Authority" was changed so oft, from Othoman, Bulgarian, Greek, First YU, after WW2  the "komunist"

& it would be not so tragic if that would be only the part where i come from, the whole darn Balkan is stucked in that Nacionalistic kind of thinking, "me, my nation, my land", that we often forget that we like it or not WE HAVE to learn to live together.

It takes only litle bit of good will to TRY to listen what have the other side to say...

-------------
I breath Oxygen - you?

Posted By: drgonzaga
Date Posted: 16-May-2005 at 01:20

Before, tackling this subject you've got to set aside what you mean by 'country'! Cry If you consider it a 'nation-state' then you've just eliminated all situations prior to the 19th century. If you are simply addressing 'violent confrontation' then those regions with the longest 'recorded' history would come to the fore, but then you could not pass this on to a modern state such as 'Iraq' which did not exist until carved out of the old Ottoman State in 1921 and awarded to the Hashemites as compensation for not getting Damascus and being kicked out of Mecca to boot! In fact, when you have an 'imperial' situation it exists because the system has brought 'peace' to the appended territories [if not the frontiers]. In all truth every 'patch' of land on the surface of this planet has been fought over in one way or another at any given time. So the real question to ask should be made in the negative: Is there a patch of the surface that has not been subject to conquest during the last 10,000 years?

-------------

Posted By: birdwatcher3000
Date Posted: 16-May-2005 at 08:32
The subject asks for the most conquered country and not area or region so my vote goes to none since most of the countries today didn't exist a few hundred years ago. If I had to vote for a region I'd cast my vote for Palaistine.

Peace

Posted By: ramin
Date Posted: 17-May-2005 at 02:48
well... Egypt, Greece and Iran has existed by the same name for a very very long time.

-------------
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"

Date Posted: 17-May-2005 at 17:46
Also Armenia and India

-------------

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Date Posted: 18-May-2005 at 00:23
and about Iran for at least two thousands years an independent country with the name of Iran  (Persia in the west)

-------------

Date Posted: 18-May-2005 at 01:40
Are we talking about how many foreign nations have conquered a single nation, or how many different regimes? Because a lot of the dynasties that people are naming are native dynasties of those nations.

-------------

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 19-May-2005 at 22:51

No one can possibly include China on a list of most conquered nations. It is the oldest example of a continuous nation state in history. Some examples of conquest have been given here, yet the only ones I would say are genuine foreign invasions are the Mongol invasion and the Manchu invasion. But even the Manchu can be regareded as a sub-group of Chinese culture, not traditionally considered pure Chinese but obviously Chinese enough to create a very traditional regime for three centuries based on Confucian teaching and all the traditional ethics of the previous dynasties. I would argue the Manchis were even more deeply traditional conservative and insular than previous Chinese dynasties.

Really only the Mongols being a foreign people conquering China, and in the end Chinese culture was so irresistable it pretty much assimilated them. To have been properly conquered by a foreign nation only once in a history as long as China's is a truly incredible achievement.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-May-2005 at 23:38
I think Afghanistan and surrounding is a another close contender:

Factions that have ruled the region:
Achaemenid Empire
Macedonian Empire
Seleucid Empire
Bactrians
Scythians
Sakae
Parthian Empire
Kushan Empire
Sassanid Empire
Hepthalite
Kok Turuk
Caliphate
Saffarids
Bokhara
Ghaznavid Empire
Gurid Empire
Khwarezm-Shah Empire
Mongol Empire
Chagatai Khanate
Herat
Tamerlane's Empire
Safavid Empire
(various rulers) etc.

-------------

Posted By: Anujkhamar
Date Posted: 20-May-2005 at 03:07
To add to the list above (Afghanistan):

Kashmir and Maurya

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 20-May-2005 at 09:32

I generally agree with the statement that Mesopotamia/Iraq takes the title, but I'd like to mention Romania as well:

Dacians

Scythians

Greeks/Macedonians

Romans

Ostrogoths

Huns

Slavs

Avars

Bulgars

Magyars

Cumans

Petchenegs

Mongols

Vallachians/Moldavians

Turks

Poles

Russians

Austrians

Germans

Soviets (similar to Russia (I know, but there is a distinction)

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Date Posted: 20-May-2005 at 11:45
And to add another important once ruler of Afghanistan: Great Seljuks. We should place them right before the Khwarezmshahs.

-------------

Posted By: honeybee
Date Posted: 20-May-2005 at 11:54

"Factions that have ruled the region:
Achaemenid Empire
Macedonian Empire
Seleucid Empire
Bactrians
Scythians
Sakae
Parthian Empire
Kushan Empire
Sassanid Empire
Hepthalite
Kok Turuk
Caliphate
Saffarids
Bokhara
Ghaznavid Empire
Gurid Empire
Khwarezm-Shah Empire
Mongol Empire
Chagatai Khanate
Herat
Tamerlane's Empire
Safavid Empire
(various rulers) etc."

You forgot the Tang empire, the Soviet Union and the United States.

Posted By: phoenix_bladen
Date Posted: 21-May-2005 at 23:33

china and korea..... these lands have been conquered by so many different ethnic groups and also there were many civil wars that were fought in these lands......

i would say east asia (excluding japan) and europe were the places that have been conquered and reconquered.....

not much is known aobut africa.... but who knows......

-------------
PhoenIX_BlaDeN~~~SoIX-Forever~~~ThReE MusKeTeeRs-G-VI~~~TrUe STaRs~~~ SoIX SLAM Basketball TeaM~~~

Posted By: poirot
Date Posted: 21-May-2005 at 23:56

The most conquered country: Palestine

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Posted By: Kenaney
Date Posted: 22-May-2005 at 09:00
Greece, most conquered by Italians, crusaders and Turks

-------------
OUT OF LIMIT

Date Posted: 22-May-2005 at 15:39
Hmm, yes Iran and Iraq seem to have been conquered quite many times...but of the European countries, Luxembourg has been conquered, or at least invaded, quite often. Because whenever there has been a war in Europe, Germany or France have allways invaded or conquered Luxembourg. And we are not talking of one or two invasions, but tens of them. I'm not that aware of Luxembourgish history, so I'm not really sure how many times this tiny country has been invaded, but as this is in the middle of "everything", it gets invaded by almost an accident 

Posted By: Behi
Date Posted: 28-May-2005 at 11:39

Far East: China
Middle Asia: India
Middle East : Iran
Europe: Italy, England
Africa: Egypt
North America:US
South America: Azteks

& South Pole: White Bears!!!!

-------------

Posted By: Jazz
Date Posted: 31-May-2005 at 13:52
I haven't read the entire thread, but I'd put India up there (I'm lumping Pakistan with India for historical convienience) - that Khyber Pass was a natural conduit for invasion!

-------------
http://www.forums.internationalhockey.net/index.php?/index.php?referrerid=8 - International Hockey Forums

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 31-May-2005 at 15:43
Originally posted by Land of Aryan

Far East: ChinaMiddle Asia: IndiaMiddle East : IranEurope: Italy, EnglandAfrica: EgyptNorth America:USSouth America: Azteks

& South Pole: White Bears!!!!

South America ?
Pal, Incan Peruvians are South Americans.
The Aztecs / Mexica are mesoamericans ( not Aztek ). And they were conquered only by the spaniards and their native allies. The empire lasted almost 100 years.

-------------

Posted By: Celestial
Date Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 21:54
It could be Egypt or Palestine or Iraq.

Posted By: Hellios
Date Posted: 08-Oct-2006 at 22:06
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I think it is Iraq, what do you think?

Iraq, and Afghanistan.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com