Forum Discription: The Middle Ages: AD 500-1500
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2032
Printed Date: 28-Mar-2024 at 08:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Polanie
Posted By: KurganRatnik
Subject: Polanie
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 12:21
The ethnic Polanie or Poliane tribe discovered Kiev, and were known as 'Russy'. They moved west and settled in Poland and some stayed in Ukraina. Therefore Polish people are descended from the ancient Russians.

-------------
'endow your greatest fears'-Kpt. Danylo Kurkowicz

Replies:
Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 12:34
Originally posted by KurganRatnik

The ethnic Polanie or Poliane tribe discovered Kiev, and were known as 'Russy'. They moved west and settled in Poland and some stayed in Ukraina. Therefore Polish people are descended from the ancient Russians.

Sorry, I don't want to get involved in any Polish-Ukranian-russian arguments, but how could anybody have discovered Kiev. I mean, Kiev is a city to my knowledge, and it surely was "discovered" by the people who first build it.
I discovered Istanbul when I went there, but only for myself, the 2 Million people living there, had a pretty good idea it was there ,before I came.
What do you actually mean?
(5 minutes later: Or is it a joke?)

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Posted By: TJK
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 12:40
I think KurganRatnik means Polanie was a tribe lived in region of Kiev which have found this city. The name is really the same as the tribe which have united the western slavic tribe into Poland however the most of recent scholars opinion is that it were two separate tribes. The derived probably from the worfd pole (polje) "the field" 

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 12:57
The Polanie is the same tribe half of them because of conflicts migrated west. Polanie was a Kievan Rus tribe.

-------------

Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:01
So, modern ukranians have polish blood?

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:18
You have it backwards Infidel. Modern Poljaks have Ukrainian blood. Yet the language is different because of influences of Germanic, Baltic, and Czech, Slovakian peoples and cultures.

-------------

Posted By: Rava
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:24
I belive we all mean that Polanie established Kiev.  In fact the name: rus.polijane could meant "steppe people" as well. We know that this particular tribe was part of Lach tribes. ( iran.Lahistan or ahlia Lah - the Polish Nation; turk. Lechistan).

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:31

You are correct. Also this Polanie tribe is the sub-tribe of the Slowanie tribe. It combines all Slavic tribes. But then again the Slowanie (Slavs) come from Scythians/Sarmatians in other words the original Kurgan people of Southern Russia 3000BCE. They were reknowned for building the first burial mounds. many have been found in Ukraine and Poland both. Russia aswell. To be exact they come from somewhere along the sea of grass in the Russian steppes, perhaps scientists have proven it is Kazakhstan.

-------------

Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:33

Ok, but for example, does modern ukranian (language) have polish words and influence, or just russian?

I mean, all of them are from the slav family...

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 13:37
Ukrainian is made up of 60% Polish and 40% Russian. It is due to the fact that Ukraine was apart of the Polish-Lithuanian Conference.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 14:00

Ukrainian is made up of 60% Polish and 40% Russian. It is due to the fact that Ukraine was apart of the Polish-Lithuanian Conference.

I belive that you estimate percentage on XVII-XVIII Century. And what you mean Russian - present Russians or old Ruœ (Ruthenia).

Kazkhstan and in general Central Asia sounds good for the origin of the warrior elites among Polans (Polanie) tribe. The szyszaks (helmet) were discovered only in Poland and Ukraine. Don't you think they remain  Sogdian type helmets?. Accordingly to Litvinskij Ferghana was ruled by the Chionites and the possesion was called Polona.

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 14:07

Yes I do mean Rus' but as in Ukraina. Polanie came from the Ukrainian steppes which was a subtribe of Slowanie. Slowanie(Slavs) came from Russian steppes the Kurgan people. Yes sogdian type helmets of course. Litvinskij Ferghana is not true. This might help you understand,. Apparently we do not exactly know where the Slavs came from but Polish and Russians both are thought to come from Ukraine. The Slavs before that came from southern Russian steppes (Kazakhstan).

http://mockingbird.creighton.edu/english/worldlit/jpegs/migr ate.jpg - http://mockingbird.creighton.edu/english/worldlit/jpegs/migr ate.jpg

http://www.geography.uc.edu/~weisner/courses/216/webmap1/kurgan.gif - http://www.geography.uc.edu/~weisner/courses/216/webmap1/kur gan.gif

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 14:25

The Polanie is the same tribe half of them because of conflicts migrated west. Polanie was a Kievan Rus tribe.

Your certainity here is really amused..however I think your argument are on the same level as some of my countrymens which are sure that part of tribe have migrated east and found the Kiev

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 14:35

One problem moy drug'. Poland was founded about 966AD. Kiev existed around 882AD, my mother is Polish-Ukrainian. This means that the Polanie came from Kiev in Ukraine region. In other words TJK, we are bothe Ukrainians.I lived in Poland for 3 years in Warszawa.

lol

-------------

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 14:45
no, Poland became a christian state in 966, btu it did exist before that.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 14:47

One problem moy drug'. Poland was founded about 966AD

966AD is the year of baptisation of Poland and not the foundation of the state..with this logic you should come to the conclusion Kievian Rus exist starting from 988

Kiev existed around 882AD

Polish city Kalisz (Calisia) exist starting from IV centaury AD

This means that the Polanie came from Kiev in Ukraine region

Well, in this case my example of much older polish city should direct you now   to the conclusion Ukrainians are of Polish orgin

In other words TJK, we are bothe Ukrainians.

In this case you are probably right (accidently)..I have found the Cossack with my surname (which is quite rare in Poland) as old as 1626..

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 14:49
950AD is Poland. The city Kiev existed since 882AD.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 14:51
HAHAHAHA Cossacks aren`t Ukrainian, they are of Polish and Russian origin. Wait oden minut, The Slavs moved west to eastern Europe from Russian Steppes in 558AD.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 14:52

950AD is Poland

No, we know at least 3 rulers of Polanie before Mieszko...

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 14:54
HAHAHAHA Cossacks aren`t Ukrainian, they are of Polish and Russian origin. Wait oden minut, The Slavs moved west to eastern Europe from Russian Steppes in 558AD.  So technically we are from Southern Russian (Kazak) descent. Apparently Sarmatians and Scythians were in the eastern European lands. This means the Slavs are later to migrate from Southern Russia. There were already Scythian and Sarmatian tribes at that time in Poland that could have discovered that city. Polanie made Poland it a state in 950AD. Polanie were first in the area Wistula (Wielkopolska) around 900AD.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 14:56

HAHAHAHA Cossacks aren`t Ukrainian, they are of Polish and Russian origin

Hmm.. Zaporoshian Cossack ? I think more than 60% was of Ukrainian orgin ..BTW do you know Istorija Ukrainy-Rusy by Hruszewskij ?

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 15:06

Polanie came from the Ukrainian steppes which was a subtribe of Slowanie

Slovene it's just Nestor's description for the people converted to Bizantine Christianity - pravoslavije.  In the times of our interest only three groups were witnessed: Antes, Sclaveni, and Vinides.

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 15:15

They all came from the Russian steppes.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 15:20
No, most of them dwelled in woodland zone north to border of the steppe.

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 15:23

Exactly still Russia.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 15:29
Sarmatia. Off topic

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 15:37

Sarmatia area of modern Russia, and eastern europe. But the Slavs came from the Russian steppes. In Kazakhistan

-------------

Posted By: Scytho-Sarmatian
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 06:27
I'm of Polish descent, but I think I'm going to side with KurganRatnik.  Please don't think of me as a "traitor" -- it's just that the overwhelming evidence points to a central asian origin of all slavic peoples.  Make that ALL Indo-European peoples, for that matter.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 09:09

Hello friend, I am of Polish descent too. Hence my last name Kurkowicz, and my great grandmother she was Ukrainian with a Polish last name Wielicki, it was also Russian. It is true of Central Asia.

http://mockingbird.creighton.edu/english/worldlit/jpegs/migr ate.jpg - http://mockingbird.creighton.edu/english/worldlit/jpegs/migr ate.jpg

These are picture of the Indo-European homeland in Kazakhstan and Southern Russia. The mounds are Kurgans (burial mounds) built by the Kurgan people of Russia. 

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 10:34

Please don't think of me as a "traitor" -- it's just that the overwhelming evidence points to a central asian origin of all slavic peoples.  Make that ALL Indo-European peoples, for that matter.

I think you have touched the separate problem here..but the discussion was not about the general place of orgin of indo-european tribes but if Polanie in todays Great Poland were descended from eastern salvic tribe of the same name. In this case all  KurganRatnik's arguments are rather poor qulity because polish Polanije were not just occur in 966 (or even 950 AC) but their presence on the territority of todays Poland is dated minimum 300 years before (what is confirmed by archeological findings) thus the question of relationship between polish and kijevan  polanie could be considered as not solved finaly but certainly the arguments that Kijev exist in 885 AC and Poland only in 966 Ac could not be taken serious..

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 11:04

When you think about it, the routes of the Kurgan people came from the South-East so they would have settled in modern Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus before reaching the area of Poland.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 11:10

When you think about it, the routes of the Kurgan people came from the South-East so they would have settled in modern Ukraine, Russia, and Belarus before reaching the area of Poland.

It could be true but it have nothing to do with your statement of ukrainian orgin of polish people..

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 11:14
It explains why the city Kyyv existed ever since 20AD as in that area. Then again I am talking about one tribe. There were many other Polish tribes at the time. Then again all of the Slavs moved as one group to the Ukrainian and Belarussian and Russian area. Especially in the Carpathian Mountain range.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 11:32

It explains why the city Kyyv existed ever since 20AD as in that area

Yeah I remeber... Scythain or sarmathian outpost

Then again I am talking about one tribe

And. I'm repeat - there is no one serious modern scholar who support this "theory"

Then again all of the Slavs moved as one group to the Ukrainian and Belarussian and Russian area.

This what I'm not sure is generally accepted but even if so what it have to do with clamig poles are of ukrainian orgin (and not iranian, central asiatic or wahtever?)

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 11:46

In general Indo-Europeans are of Central Asiatic descent, but there are two theories of the origin of Slavs. I haven't touched on the other one yet. The other one is that the Slavs originated in the Ukrainian steppes. Either way, it is either Kazak (Southern Russian) steppes, or Ukrainian steppes. Again, Slavs are of Russian/Ukrainian/or Polish descent. It can be many things. In conclusion were all the same people even today. So that solves one problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 12:22

In general Indo-Europeans are of Central Asiatic descent, but there are two theories of the origin of Slavs

I've never really interested in this problem but I remeber there was at least one additionall theory..however becasuse  many your previous statements I find absolutly false (Polanie state  started 950 AC, Zaphorozian Cossacks are mostly polish and russian orgin etc.) I must say I'm rather sceptical about accurancy of all your claims.. 

Posted By: Polish-UkrainianCanadian
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 12:30
What is the other theory?

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 12:50
Some polish scholars (IIRC the main was prof. Henryk Łowiański) have formulated theory that the area when the Slavs have separated on different groups (eastern, southern and western ) is between rivers Wisła and Odra i.e. todays central and west Poland.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 13:01

I am very confused. From the start can you tell me where all the Slavs came from?? Please........ Also did the Polish always use the Latin alphbet. Before Catholicism the Polish were Orthodox, like the rest of the Slavs.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 13:27
how you explain that early Slavs show not the least signs of Steppe culture, but Slavs in fact were dominated by Steppe people (Bulgars, Avars) like Germanics were dominated by Huns?

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 13:45
I meant at the beginning not the middle ages.

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 14:19

I am very confused. From the start can you tell me where all the Slavs came from?? Please........ 

There are as many theories as scholars ..but if you mean place of orgin it will be most probable Central Asia - the same palce as othe indo-european tribes, but when you mean  area when salvic tribes have been sepatated from othe indo-european tribes it could be todays Poland, Belorussia or Ukraine..

Also did the Polish always use the Latin alphbet. Before Catholicism the Polish were Orthodox, like the rest of the Slavs.

Not exactly.. this concern only small part o polish tribes - mainly tribe Wislanie- which duke was forced to baptization by Great Moravian ruler. ..as for the rest of Slavs beeing orthodox  - what about Czechs, Slovakians, Khorvats, Lusytian Sorbs and Slovenians ? 

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 16:28

Oh i see if we didn't use the Latin alphabet in ancient days what did we use??

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 20:58
did they use cyrillic??

Posted By: Sarmata
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 13:45
I posted this before, this is what i believe a Chronicler of Poland wrote, Wincenty Kadlubek, now what you're about to read may seem very farfetched anyone coulds ee that, just read it and you'll se, however I always believe that ppl don't just make these things up and I believe there to be a little truth to even make a lie, so this is just to point out that Poland was around for a lot longer then we believe however because it was just another pagan country no one paid attention to it. thats what i believe to be the case anyways. also someone mentioned that there was 3 main protoslavic groups, cant remember exactly whats it was I believe it was sclaveni, venedi, and antes. Sclaveni(southern slavs) Venedi(western slavs) and antes(eastern slavs) and I do think that it was said that the venedi were the greatest of these tribes.

KRAK- a nobel man, good warrior, first of the Poles to be chosen as King, fought against Gauls(? if someone knows from POlish Gallami help me out, Im assuming it's Gaus, in Latin it's Gallis)anyways they were sent by there king Aswerus, Krak defeated them. Kraks son would be the conqueror of the dragon which I assume you hear in Polish folklore, he would not be the next King after his father becuase he killed his own brother.
WANDA-Kraks Daughter, she was supposed to marry the King of Lemanow( Germans), but she refused and sacrificed her self to the Gods by throwing herself in the Wisla (Vistula). After the reign of Wanda the Poles called themselves Wandalami(Wandals, Vandals). For 100 years the Poles werw without a King.
LESZKO- The first,he defeated Alexander the Great under Lysa Gora.(yeah I know hard to believe, and it may be unrealistic, but it's what it says, and no where in this book does it say legendary kings or mythical)After Alexander lost to the Poles he left the country in peace.
LESZKO- The second, defeated others in a race to Meta(?).As victor he was chosen as King. he was very honorable he had 4 traits that was very famous for, I can't translate them dammit.
LESZKO- The third, the only son of Leszko II, three times he defeated Julius Caesar. They later became good aquiantances and Caesar gave Leszko as his wife his sister Julia which gave birth to 20 sons for Leszko. Elsewhere around the same time Christ is born in Bethlehem. Oktavian somehow related to Caesar gets in good witht he empire(dont know how to translate that one too good).
POPIEL- first born son of Leszko III, the oldest amongst 20 brothers.
POPIEL-grandson of Leszko III, son of Popiel.He was eaten along with his wife and kids by mice in the tower of Kruszwickiego. He was later called Choscisko(if you watched Stara Basn you can maybe make some connections here). He killed all of his fathers brothers by poisoning them.
PIAST-He was chosen by some Martyrs I guess, Jan and Pawel to be King, when Popiel and his heirs all died out.
From him starts a new Dynasty of Kings.
SIEMOWIT- Piasts only son, unnaturally full of energy, and sincere. He always brought about great victories against his enemies. Siemowit regained lots of lost territory.
LESZKO- The fourth, son of Siemowit. he followed in his fathers footsteps with everything he did.
SIEMOMYSL- son of Leszko IV, he had reigned in peace.
and thats it the rest are Mieszko which was the one who accepted christianity,a nd thats that, interesting to hear though that Mieszko was born blind, after 7 years though he would be able to see.

Persoanlly I dont realy care too much, if it was up to me, i wouldnt mind having a huge slavonic union, however we know that doesnt go over too well usually cuz there is major conflicts among slavs, but if you look at it Ukrainians and Poles hae so much similarities, the first croatian state was established bet ween the borders of Poland and Ukraine, both countries have the POlanie tribes, and n.m the common history in the commonwealth.

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 14:00
I heard there was alot said about Siemomysl in Ukrayina. Ukrainians tend to use y's more than Polish. maybe Ukrainians and Russians are Poles. Maybe even Bulgars and Croats, and so as Slovakia and the Czechs.

-------------
'doter ton craindre grandeur'

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 14:11
Poland's traditional dress is very similar to Ukraine's and Russia's. Are some cossacks in Poland. This guy is from Krakow. He looks like a cossack. His instrument looks equivalent to the Russian Balalaika. I love Poland, and Ukraine the countries of my forebearers. I have never been there. I have been to Czech Republic though. I am going to Russia in March Break of 2006.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 15:11

The guy on the picture is evidently dressed in cossak style..however there were not and there is not polish cossacks - just (according to the reaserch of the some scholars like Gawroński or Jabłonowski) Poles were second biggest group in Zaporozhian Cossackdom and consisted of about 10 % of all Zaporozhian Cossacks  - Rusins (Ukrainians) however compose more than 60% of Z.C.  

Look my aritcle about Zaporozhian Cossaks (not finished yet) :

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43&PN=1 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43&P N=1

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 17:47
What does the Polish traditional dress look like i am sure it is very similar to Ukrainian traditional dress. Are Cossacks different from Slavs?? What are they??

-------------

Posted By: Mosquito
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 17:54

I was supposed to not be here but this picture provoked me. The guy on the picture is Ukrainian citisen (i have met him at least 3 times and talked to him once). He is playing and singing old cossack song. He was in many cities in Poland and i have heard that he is going to play in western Europe too. His music is awesome, i spent hours lessening to him.

And polish tradition dresses looks different. There is no one such dress but every region got different.

As for you Ukrainian-Polish canadian or somthing - dont call yourself this way. Im not sure if you know anything about Canada and its history but for sure your knowledge about Ukraine or Poland is none. I seriously doubt if you can find those 2 countries on map. So maybe first try to get a book ro 2, read them, and next come to discuss history?

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 19:39

i know where the f**k they are buddy, i was born in poland. but i moved when i was young. my parents are dead. so i am alone. i am living at a friends. i have no money. WHY THE f**k ARE YOU SO f**kING MEAN!!!! I am trying to ask nicely. All you do is tell me to f**k off. Is it because I am part Ukrainian or Canadian?? what is it?? I bet you are one of the Polish bastards that arfe self-centered. I wanted to know what Wieliczka, and Warszawa's traditional dress was buddy.

-------------

Posted By: Kuu-ukko
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 08:51

People, I have only one thing to say:

Please, ffs!!!, Do NOT mix language and ethnicity!!! There is a problem in the topics vocabulary: "Slavic people came from Central Russia, along with all Indo-Europeans" or something like that! When speaking of Slavs, or Indo-Europeans in general, please use the term "languages"! The Kurgan people were a culture, not a proto-language, although they spoke a language (naturally). So please, be precise about the terms "Kurgan" and Indo-European.

Thank you and good bye.

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 12:03
f**k OFF Kuu-ukko

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 12:07

What does Warszawa's traditional costume and Wieliczka's traditional costume look like?? Someone who is Polish please answer. Beside Mosquito ( f**king bastard).

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 12:24
The best information in the subject Polanie (Polans) you can get from Nestor's Yearbooks. It's comprehensive "who-is-who" of these times and the area of your concern. Norman Davis' works about Poland's history might be interesting for the beginers.

Posted By: Kuu-ukko
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 12:27

f**k OFF Kuu-ukko

Isn't that rude.  I was merely pointing out the error in the Kurgan hypothesis presented here. It's just that you back it up with the Gimbutas theory. The basic thing is, that you cannot back up linguistical theories with archaelogical evidence (without coming to the same conclusion independently, which is what Gimbutas did NOT do). That is all.

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 16:34
Isn't it fascinating, the Poles used Cyrillic, and were orthodox before Roman Catholicism. 

-------------

Posted By: Sarmata
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 17:59
Im not really sure Poles used Cyrillic or were even orthodox before roman cotholiscism. Poland was finally realized as anation when it was christianized, and iM pretty sure before Catholicism they were Pagans; worshipping Swiatowit, czarnobog, and whoever else there was. Unless you kow soemthing I dont Polish-UkrainianCanadian. However there was a large number of Poles who were orthodox during the Polish Commonwealth.
I dont think Poland was ever a orthodox country though.

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 18:07

Old/Common Slavonic was later written in Glagolitic the early Cyrillic. All Slavs spoke the same language, as pagans. Why were most Poles orthodox in the Commonwealth?? How did it come to be?? Roman church was first orthodox aswell. Which Poland always followed the Roman church since christianized. Bialystok in Poland was Orthodox in the beginning. Second source mentions Greek Orthodox missionaries along the Vistula Christianizing Early Polska.

http://www.bialystok.telbank.pl/orthodox/en/histreg.htm - http://www.bialystok.telbank.pl/orthodox/en/histreg.htm

http://www.mek.iif.hu/porta/szint/tarsad/tortenel/mo_1867/austria/html/data/chap23.htm - http://www.mek.iif.hu/porta/szint/tarsad/tortenel/mo_1867/au stria/html/data/chap23.htm

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 16:15
Polish-UkrainianCanadian and KurganRatnik, i ask you to not insult other members or i'll have to issue an offical warning.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 18:22

je suis trčs désolé!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 16:20
and please don't use foreign languages on the forum, we have our own forum for foreign languages.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com